Nintendo 3DS - General Discussion Thread

[quote name='slidecage']one problem i had with moon is you played one you mostly played them all[/QUOTE]
Never played a Harvest Moon actually. I only played the game for 30 minutes before I got tired of the fucking tutorial and shut it off. I will play more of course, but I couldn't take the tutorial for any longer last night :lol:.

I might send my red 3DS in for repairs honestly the smudges and lines on my top screen are noticeably bad (you can see the marks on everything and it bugs). I like my 3DS a lot and its lame that it has such a noticeable screen defect. How would I start to do this to see if they can fix it? Mines still under warranty. I like the 3DS but the screen needs to be repaired.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']This has little to do with 3DS, but I finally got around to starting the first Scribblenauts. Good stuff.[/QUOTE]

Eh... it was fun for about 30 minutes. Of course, I'm limited by my stupid brain. Robots and dinosaurs can't solve ever puzzle. Or can they?

[quote name='Javery']Eh... it was fun for about 30 minutes. Of course, I'm limited by my stupid brain. Robots and dinosaurs can't solve ever puzzle. Or can they?[/QUOTE]

There was one puzzle last night that had a shark in the water. First, I summoned an orca, but the shark killed it. Then I summoned a toaster and fried his ass. I laughed for a good two minutes about that.

Ha ha, I think typing in "Starite" actually does work as a solution for one of the puzzles, but I could be wrong. I absolutely love Scribblenauts. It's one of my IP's ever and Unlimited is one of my main reasons for getting a Wii U. But as Javery has pointed out, if you don't use your imagination, it can be a very boring game. That's why I think the challenge mode should be the primary way of playing the game; it forces you to replay the levels and use different items each time, which in turns forces you to get a little creative. You can't beat every level with robots and dinosaurs but you can beat most of them with a jetpack, glue, rope, and a gun. As long as you're creative, though, you'll keep having fun with it. I spent a ridiculous amount of time just playing in the Sandbox. Did the same with Super Scribblenauts. And I'll do it again tomorrow with Unlimited.

So... No one is playing Paper Mario? I'm a bit worried with all the exclusions this time around, but it still looks really good(I'm a big fan of the series, as long as the Wii iteration doesn't count). Also, it's not on sale anywhere. Decisions...

[quote name='Mixer236']So... No one is playing Paper Mario? I'm a bit worried with all the exclusions this time around, but it still looks really good(I'm a big fan of the series, as long as the Wii iteration doesn't count). Also, it's not on sale anywhere. Decisions...[/QUOTE]
Yes, I'm playing it and enjoying it. But if you didn't like Super Paper Mario on the Wii I don't think you will care for Sticker Star very much, as it's much closer to that game than the previous iterations.

[quote name='Mixer236']So... No one is playing Paper Mario? I'm a bit worried with all the exclusions this time around, but it still looks really good(I'm a big fan of the series, as long as the Wii iteration doesn't count). Also, it's not on sale anywhere. Decisions...[/QUOTE]

I'm playing it and loving it! It's not really a Paper Mario "RPG" so much as a Paper Mario "Game". It's got turn based combat but that's about it in terms of RPG mechanics. Not even leveling up/experience. Great sense of exploration and discovery though, and the same old paper mario art style and humor is there.

If you didn't like the Wii version because it wasn't an RPG you won't like this either, but it's a damn fun game if you don't come in expecting something that it's not.

Been sqeezing in some Professor Layton on my 3DS XL. Not far enough to comment on qualify vs the previous titles, but I really enjoy the graphics.

[quote name='ZombieToast']Has anyone played Crashmo yet? I really thought there'd be some discussion about this when it came out.[/QUOTE]

On puzzle 60/100 :D

Also shocked that it hasn't been brought up. I didn't even know it was out except I randomly checked the e-shop. Absolutely brilliant puzzle design. Unlike Pushmo the stages don't rely on pixel art/classic gaming icons (though it is still possible) because the puzzle engine is different. I'd also say it's quite a bit more difficult, but really gives you those "A-ha!" moments.

Is it just more Pushmo or are there new things to do? I loved Pushmo but when I finished I thought the game had given me enough.

Did not even realize it was out yet. Still wrapped up in Layton, Paper Mario and Adventure Time! How is it that I now have a 3DS backlog?

[quote name='ratzombie']Yes, I'm playing it and enjoying it. But if you didn't like Super Paper Mario on the Wii I don't think you will care for Sticker Star very much, as it's much closer to that game than the previous iterations.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Zmonkay']I'm playing it and loving it! It's not really a Paper Mario "RPG" so much as a Paper Mario "Game". It's got turn based combat but that's about it in terms of RPG mechanics. Not even leveling up/experience. Great sense of exploration and discovery though, and the same old paper mario art style and humor is there.

If you didn't like the Wii version because it wasn't an RPG you won't like this either, but it's a damn fun game if you don't come in expecting something that it's not.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info, guys! I wouldn't say I disliked SPM, I just liked it a lot less than OG PM & TTYD. I didn't realize turn-based battles were back, so that sounds like a decent trade-off for XP & leveling up. I just wish they'd bring back being able to have partners in your party. :(

At any rate, I'll get to it soon... It's just not a "gotta have right away" game for me at the moment. I'll certainly grab it if it goes on sale anytime soon, otherwise I'll just get the wife to get me a copy for Christmas.

[quote name='Javery']Is it just more Pushmo or are there new things to do? I loved Pushmo but when I finished I thought the game had given me enough.[/QUOTE]

The puzzle engine is different making the game trickier (i.e. more difficult). At least it forces you to be more creative about solutions.

[quote name='Javery']Is it just more Pushmo or are there new things to do? I loved Pushmo but when I finished I thought the game had given me enough.[/QUOTE]

Think of it as the difference between Picross and Picross 3D:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fbt8ueeI3kA

Definitely not just more of the same. Haven't played it yet, but I've no doubt it's good.

[quote name='Zmonkay']On puzzle 60/100 :D

Also shocked that it hasn't been brought up. I didn't even know it was out except I randomly checked the e-shop. Absolutely brilliant puzzle design. Unlike Pushmo the stages don't rely on pixel art/classic gaming icons (though it is still possible) because the puzzle engine is different. I'd also say it's quite a bit more difficult, but really gives you those "A-ha!" moments.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the input. The game looks great but I can just imagine how much harder it must be, so that has made me apprehensive. Besides, I still have to finish off the last 10 bonus puzzles in Pushmo before I'm ready to move on.

Got my first 3DS about a week ago. I got the Midnight Purple color and boy, does it look nice! Got Starfox and Mario Kart 7 for it, and recieved a rented copy of NSMB2 from Gamefly today. Plan on getting LoZ OoT soon, was broke when BB had the $20 sale on it. I'm loving the system so far, and can't wait to build up my game collection on it.

Is the program to transfer saves from cartridges to digital games up yet for the US? I'm tempted by the Best Buy XL Mario Kart bundle but only if I could transfer my saves. Selling my old 3DS and MK7 would make it a pretty cheap upgrade.

More importantly... if I transfer data from my old 3DS to another system which already has games on it (such as the preloaded MK7), is the existing software on the new system untouched? Or would the XL format prior to receiving the transfer files?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='bmachine']Did not even realize it was out yet. Still wrapped up in Layton, Paper Mario and Adventure Time! How is it that I now have a 3DS backlog?[/QUOTE]

How are you liking adventure time?

Thought I'd chime in and say that I loved Adventure Time. Loved it.

Two things though:

1. I'm a big fan of the show.
2. I have fond memories of Zelda 2.

If you can echo those statements you need this game. If you can answer yes to one of those two, you still need this game - but you might want to wait for a price drop.

If I take a step back and look at it objectively - I have to say it's a little on the short and easy side - and there's a lot there to suggest it started out as a more ambitious game that got cut short.

I'm really hoping for a sequel.

I finally started up Virtue's Last Reward. Adventure Time is absolutely next in line after that; I too dig the show and regard Zelda 2 as a great, largely unfairly maligned game. Paper Mario will probably be after that.

Does anyone still read this?

I bought a 3DS XL when BBY had the $20 off. Only game I've played on it has been Professor Layton. Near the center of the touchscreen, it occasionally has problems. It'd sometimes be unresponsive, or registers a bunch of clicks when I have my stylus touching the screen.

Anyone have this issue? Trying to figure out if something is wrong with my screen, or if it's the game, or it's inherent to all 3DS XLs.

I never had this problem with 3 DSLites, DSiXLs. I didn't play on my GF's 3DS much.

Don't know if I should take it back to BBY or contact Nintendo about it.

I'm going to ask a dumb question, have you tried calibrating it? I have a 3DS XL but I can't open it till Christmas, I tried it on my DSi XL and I didn't see any kind of clicking.

If calibrating doesn't do anything I would just take it back since it's in the grace period.

[quote name='skiizim']I'm going to ask a dumb question, have you tried calibrating it? I have a 3DS XL but I can't open it till Christmas, I tried it on my DSi XL and I didn't see any kind of clicking.

If calibrating doesn't do anything I would just take it back since it's in the grace period.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure I did, but no reason not to try it again. The Nintendo website suggests the same. I'll see what happens, but the screen also feels like it has bumps. It's just not as smooth as my XLs. Googling resulted in some similar complaints, but I don't know if the two are related or not.

Also, the multiple click issue happened maybe 5 times in ~5 hours of play, so it's not easy to reproduce.

Did the calibration again and tried Layton out again, and it's the same issue. It's not dead center of screen, but a large vertical area a little left of it. It's fine everywhere else.

Still not sure if it's the unit or the game, but I guess I will try it on my GF's 3DS XL, assuming I can find it, and she didn't take it to work.

Do you get Club Nintendo coins for registering non-Nintendo games? I just registered RE: Revelations and didn't get any coins for it.

Usually the only games that have codes included are Nintendo franchises or exclusives (which Revelations is), but either way, you should get the points for using the code. What would be the point of including a code otherwise?

Edit: Just checked the site.

"Some customers are currently experiencing issues with registrations and earning Coins for surveys. We are actively working to resolve these issues, and apologize for any inconvenience. Please be assured that we will make sure you receive Coins for any eligible registrations or surveys taken during this time."

I'm assuming this is what caused you not to gain any points.

[quote name='elessar123']I'm pretty sure I did, but no reason not to try it again. The Nintendo website suggests the same. I'll see what happens, but the screen also feels like it has bumps. It's just not as smooth as my XLs. Googling resulted in some similar complaints, but I don't know if the two are related or not.

Also, the multiple click issue happened maybe 5 times in ~5 hours of play, so it's not easy to reproduce.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='elessar123']Did the calibration again and tried Layton out again, and it's the same issue. It's not dead center of screen, but a large vertical area a little left of it. It's fine everywhere else.

Still not sure if it's the unit or the game, but I guess I will try it on my GF's 3DS XL, assuming I can find it, and she didn't take it to work.[/QUOTE]

Tried GF's XL. The screen feels smoother, and it still happens, but nowhere near as bad. So there is something definitely a little subpar about my XL.

[quote name='Andami']Usually the only games that have codes included are Nintendo franchises or exclusives (which Revelations is), but either way, you should get the points for using the code. What would be the point of including a code otherwise?

Edit: Just checked the site.

"Some customers are currently experiencing issues with registrations and earning Coins for surveys. We are actively working to resolve these issues, and apologize for any inconvenience. Please be assured that we will make sure you receive Coins for any eligible registrations or surveys taken during this time."

I'm assuming this is what caused you not to gain any points.[/QUOTE]

I wasn't sure how Club Nintendo works since I just signed up and I just got my 3DS XL system. I got points for registering the system but none for Resident Evil, even though it shows that I registered it.

Mega Mans 1-6 are coming to the 3DS eShop. 1 comes out 12/27, with MM2 coming in February. I wish they'd finally release MM6 on the VC so we could have the complete NES collection on Wii.

That'd be tight as hell though. MM NDS collection in actual 3D. Cave Story Plus looks amazing on the 3DS. 2D sprites just pop best imho.

[quote name='dallow']I like how Japan already had MM 1-6 out.
And they're all on sale due to the anniversary.[/QUOTE]
Remember when NOA used to put eShop games on sale?

One area that Sony completely trumps Nintendo is how they handle virtual console purchases.

I can play playstation games on my PSP, PS3, and Vita and I only have to buy a digital copy one time to play on any system.

With the 3DS I can't play the NES, SNES, or N64 games that I bought on my Wii and I assume that megaman on the 3DS is separate from megaman on the Wii virtual console.

WTF Nintendo?

[quote name='antlp89']One area that Sony completely trumps Nintendo is how they handle virtual console purchases.

I can play playstation games on my PSP, PS3, and Vita and I only have to buy a digital copy one time to play on any system.

With the 3DS I can't play the NES, SNES, or N64 games that I bought on my Wii and I assume that megaman on the 3DS is separate from megaman on the Wii virtual console.

WTF Nintendo?[/QUOTE]

Yeah. It rules that a PSX game I bought on PSN 3 years ago before the Vita even existed runs on the Vita at no additional cost. Xbox hasn't had to worry about a similarly unified system since they online have a single platform, but Sony took the Steam/iOS model of compatibility and account management and have done great things with it. Moving into the next console generation they're in a great position for a unified online platform if they can play on that strength.

But its total BS that owning games on the Wii VC that are on the 3DS (SMB, Zelda) doesn't entitle you to those games through some unified account. Even a discount or a $1 surcharge would probably be received well. But rebuying the same digital NES games on 2 different systems from the same vendor is pretty ridiculous.

bread's done
Back