Nintendo 3DS - General Discussion Thread

[quote name='CaseyRyback']Is a 3DS XL too big for a six year old? Thinking about getting one for my nephew and size and weight are holding me back from fully committing to the XL.[/QUOTE]

My 5 year old plays mine with no issues. He now refers to his DSi as the "little DS".

My 5 year old daughter is petite, she can handle the 3DS XL pretty well, I ended up her up a Pikachu 3DS XL for Christmas to give her later on this year.

[quote name='moothemagiccow']I keep reading about a Swapnote update, but I havent received one. Notifications says I have a new note but I dont[/QUOTE]

The update is via the eshop. You need to find swapnote app and from there it will say download update. Kinda wish nintendo will be like psn and xbox where updates/patch are pushed through the app once you launch the software

[quote name='skiizim']My 5 year old daughter is petite, she can handle the 3DS XL pretty well, I ended up her up a Pikachu 3DS XL for Christmas to give her later on this year.[/QUOTE]

Aww..:)

I got the coolest pink Disney Princesses padded travel/carrying case for mine from Target! It was $9.99. It says it fits DS, DSI XL, 3DS. But, it fits my 3DS XL very well and holds 6 games.

I think I know why SRPGs like Fire Emblem eat so much time - each battle takes FOREVER. I had the same problem with FF Tactics and not sure I want to get into it again. I don't know if I can deal with spending 30 minutes on something then losing and having to start over.

Poor planning on my part: here I am on vacation in Europe and just now see that the charger for my 3DS is 110V ONLY. Who still makes chargers 110V only and not 110-240V? Nintendo. -____-

[quote name='humidore']Poor planning on my part: here I am on vacation in Europe and just now see that the charger for my 3DS is 110V ONLY. Who still makes chargers 110V only and not 110-240V? Nintendo. -____-[/QUOTE]

Try to find a store where you can pick up a converter.

[quote name='moothemagiccow']I think I know why SRPGs like Fire Emblem eat so much time - each battle takes FOREVER. I had the same problem with FF Tactics and not sure I want to get into it again. I don't know if I can deal with spending 30 minutes on something then losing and having to start over.[/QUOTE]
Either plan your battles better, or play on Casual Mode to have multiple saves that you can make during battles.

[quote name='moothemagiccow']I think I know why SRPGs like Fire Emblem eat so much time - each battle takes FOREVER. I don't know if I can deal with spending 30 minutes on something then losing and having to start over.[/QUOTE]

I've only played one Fire Emblem game before but I remember being able to turn off battle animations so something that would take thirty minutes took five to ten.

[quote name='Mad D']I've only played one Fire Emblem game before but I remember being able to turn off battle animations so something that would take thirty minutes took five to ten.[/QUOTE]
They have controls on the bottom screen during battle animations to just skip to the end.

[quote name='humidore']Poor planning on my part: here I am on vacation in Europe and just now see that the charger for my 3DS is 110V ONLY. Who still makes chargers 110V only and not 110-240V? Nintendo. -____-[/QUOTE]

This is probably too little, too late, but getting a USB adapter is great, especially if you're in multiple countries. You can then just pick up a generic AC adapter with a USB input and use the same charger as your other USB junk. They also sell adaptable ones like this: http://www.amazon.com/Universial-Travel-Wall-Adapter-Charger/dp/9888002198

Gah I remember spending a couple hours in French electronics stores trying to explain with my limited electronics vocabulary that I just needed a standard adapter for my camera so I could take pictures of monuments and art.

[quote name='moothemagiccow']This is probably too little, too late, but getting a USB adapter is great, especially if you're in multiple countries. You can then just pick up a generic AC adapter with a USB input and use the same charger as your other USB junk. They also sell adaptable ones like this: http://www.amazon.com/Universial-Travel-Wall-Adapter-Charger/dp/9888002198

Gah I remember spending a couple hours in French electronics stores trying to explain with my limited electronics vocabulary that I just needed a standard adapter for my camera so I could take pictures of monuments and art.[/QUOTE]

Gonna order one of these. I don't understand why everything isn't micro USB or at the very least a USB to something else.

So... lets talk about upcoming games people are interested in. Here's my list - I won't buy them all but I'll definitely check a few of them out...

Lego City (April 21)
DKC Returns (May 24)
Animal Crossing (June 9)
Mario & Luigi Dream Team (Summer)
Mario Golf (Summer)
Mario vs. Donkey Kong (Fall 2013)
Batman Arkham Origins (Fall 2013)
Pokemon X/Y (Fall 2013)

[quote name='Javery']So... lets talk about upcoming games people are interested in. Here's my list - I won't buy them all but I'll definitely check a few of them out...

Lego City (April 21)
DKC Returns (May 24)
Animal Crossing (June 9)
Mario & Luigi Dream Team (Summer)
Mario Golf (Summer)
Mario vs. Donkey Kong (Fall 2013)
Batman Arkham Origins (Fall 2013)
Pokemon X/Y (Fall 2013)[/QUOTE]

Definitely buying Pokemon (Probably Y), the others I will have to wait and see. The only Mario Golf I liked was the N64 version. I love DK Country so I'll check Returns out. I really like the Mario vs DK and Mario & Luigi games but I never play more than a couple of hours so I'll probably pass. Not interested in the rest as of right now. Hoping Smash Bros 3DS and maybe a Special Edition 3DS XL come out this year :drool:

The games I know I will buy are:
Animal Crossing
Pokemon X and Y
Shin Megami Tensei IV
Project X Zone

I also still have Etrian Odyssey IV that is still sealed and Devil Summoner to play through.

Batman has my interest, but I'm hoping the Vita version is the same or better than the 3DS version. I find I play my Vita way more but the 3DS is still a great platform.

For $20 or less I'd double-dip on DKCR, even though I already beat it on Wii. The prospect of having dedicated buttons for all the commands (versus shaking the Wiimote to pound the ground) is quite appealing.

Luigi has online and local multiplayer, and better reviews, so I'd go for that one. Castlevania has a demo on the eshop if you want to check it out.

[quote name='moothemagiccow']Luigi has online and local multiplayer, and better reviews, so I'd go for that one. Castlevania has a demo on the eshop if you want to check it out.[/QUOTE]

yea i played the demo but i wanna play more of it, idk which one to get, but i guess Lugi's Manison prolly

[quote name='moothemagiccow']This is probably too little, too late, but getting a USB adapter is great, especially if you're in multiple countries. You can then just pick up a generic AC adapter with a USB input and use the same charger as your other USB junk. They also sell adaptable ones like this: http://www.amazon.com/Universial-Travel-Wall-Adapter-Charger/dp/9888002198

Gah I remember spending a couple hours in French electronics stores trying to explain with my limited electronics vocabulary that I just needed a standard adapter for my camera so I could take pictures of monuments and art.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I spent some time in electronics stores here trying to find a USB cable, but later realized it's not a standard size (mini or micro USB). They only had Wii accessories unfortunately, not even DSi stuff (that has the same charger). All the non existent street passes I could have had ;_;

[quote name='snakemaster2389']Lego City looks great but I wanna get either Castlevania: Mirror of Fate or Luigi's Mansion. Anyone know what the better value is?[/QUOTE]

Luigi's Mansion is the best handheld game I've played in years. It's probably not for everyone though. It plays like a cross between a puzzle game, an action game and a point and click adventure. I haven't tried Castlevania yet but the reviews haven't been so kind...

[quote name='Link2999']If the US got that, it may make me consider selling my Pikachu 3DS XL. Probably not, but maybe.[/QUOTE]

Only interest I had in the Pikachu XL was for the fiancee. Considering she loves Animal Crossing and only likes Pokemon, this would be awesome. Fingers crossed!

[quote name='DNukem170']I completed all the puzzles available when Otakon was here. Got a couple for the new puzzles since then, but I haven't gone to any crowded events.[/QUOTE]

Anyone know for anyway a US 3DS to get the special puzzles that Japanese Nintendo Zones give out?

I was at the Sakura Matsuri in DC for the cherry blossoms and noticed a special puzzle from a Japanese Mii, I could not select the piece. Upon more research, there are at least 3 puzzles through McDonalds and other Nintendo zones that are only availble in Japan.

[quote name='htz']http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...imal-crossing-3ds-xl-bundle-spotted-in-the-uk

^Might be the surprise from Nintendo Direct tomorrow. It looks to be confirmed for the UK but if they get it like the Pikachu 3DS XL, we might get it also.[/QUOTE]

Mmm.. This looks girlier than the pikachu 3dsxl. Pass again. Heres hoping for something for pokemon x&y. Nintendo needs more units to sell and getting an exclusive for those games will surely benefit them

I like this design much better than the Pikachu DS, it is feminine but at least can pass off as more of an adult system. Hopefully it will be a little easier to find than the Pikachu one for those that want it.

as far as Luigi vs Castlevania goes, I have heard from people that if you are not ingrossed by the LoS story, you may not enjoy the 3ds game that much.
Personally I watched the Giant Bomb quick look and decided not to get it, while the Luigi's manison 2 quick look completely convinced me that I wanted the game.
Luigi's mansion is cute, makes you solve puzzles and enjoyable.

[quote name='moothemagiccow']Can anyone explain Animal Crossing to me? It looks like SimCity with an avatar, or Second Life.[/QUOTE]

You arrive at a town, where a "raccoon" creature forces a house on you, and makes you do stuff like collect bugs to pay off your debt, while selling you expensive furniture with the pittance you make. After months of menial labor, you pay off your debt, but... he's super nice and upgrades your house and makes it bigger, so you can remain in debt to him, while you spend more money at his shop to fill the empty space.

Then if you don't play for awhile, weeds grow everywhere, and the townspeople move away. You can also invite real people over to steal your rare bugs.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']The release date for Mario vs Donkey Kong: Minis on the Move has been listed as May 9 in the eShop.[/QUOTE]

Is this getting a cart release or eShop only? I will be bummed with no cart.

[quote name='nixmahn']Anyone know for anyway a US 3DS to get the special puzzles that Japanese Nintendo Zones give out?[/QUOTE]

No. Nintendo made sure to make US and Japan separate.

[quote name='Javery']Bummer. It better be cheap.[/QUOTE]

I'd say it's $15 max. The DSi one was $8, so if we're lucky it'll be the same and they'll put it on sale next summer.

I think there is no Tom Nook in this AC game which will change the story, what little of it there is dramatically. I just want to know if it has holidays in it or not like the GameCube one.

[quote name='SaraAB']I think there is no Tom Nook in this AC game which will change the story, what little of it there is dramatically. I just want to know if it has holidays in it or not like the GameCube one.[/QUOTE]
He's still there, but he runs a Real Estate Agency where you can buy stuff for your house while his nephews run his stores.

You're just not in debt with him because you're the mayor of the town, so the projects you take on to improve the town is where your debt comes from:
Iwata - The player becomes the mayor, undertakes public works project and enacts ordinances. Where did these ideas come from, and how did they all come together?

Kyogoku - Well, I would often come home late from work only to find that Tom Nook's shop was closed.

Iwata - So you'd come home late thinking, "I'm going to play Animal Crossing!" but then be disappointed to find the shop was closed.

Moro - I'm sure there are plenty of players who have fiddled with the clock when playing the game, but this is a shame as a really nice aspect of Animal Crossing is the sense of unity that comes from time passing in sync with the real world. It means that everyone gets to share that sense of the seasons and the time passing, so we were keen to retain that element of the game.

Kyogoku - I wondered if we could make it so the game adjusted itself to the player's circumstances, meaning that players would'nt need to adjust the clock. But if all the shops were open twenty-four hours a day, there would be no difference between day and night, defeating the whole point of having time in sync with the real world. Anyway, we put that problem on hold for a while, and then the idea of the player becoming the mayor was raised and it occurred to us that the player could use his or her authority to adjust business hours.

Moro - This time, you can adjust things to fit your own lifestyle, so shops can open early in the morning or stay open until late at night.

Kyogoku - The mayor has the authority to enact these kinds of ordinances.

Iwata - Of course in the real world, ordinances are enacted by a local council, so the mayor can't simply do things entirely on their own authority! (laughs)

Moro - Ah, yes, that's true! (laughs) And mayors don't pay for things out of their own pocket either! (laughs)

Iwata - Wait! So the mayor makes the rules, but has to foot the bill?

Kyogoku - Yes! (laughs) The mayor raises funds for public works projects. The animals that live in the town will contribute a little money, but every little request goes to the mayor, so you end up using a lot of pocket money.

Iwata - So you use your own pocket money for public works projects?

Kyogoku - Yes, you do! (laughs)

Iwata - When I hear terms like 'mayor' and 'ordinances', I can't help but think in terms of the real world. But it makes sense in the game to make it this way. Once you hit upon the idea of making the player the mayor, it provided a solution to a range of issues.

Kyogoku - That's right.
http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/3ds/animalcrossing-newleaf/0/1

Link to the Past Sequel...

What in the hell is going on? Is NoJ HQ on fire? Did terrorists take over? Maybe they have to get this information out if Bruce Willis can't save everyone? Earthbound and this in the same day?

I don't even

bread's done
Back