Nintendo 3DS - General Discussion Thread

There's 6 GameStops within a 10 mile radius of me and 5 of them have Nintendo Zones. The one that doesn't shares a mall with one that does.

All 4 Best Buy's near me have Nintendo Zones too.

I have five GameStops within 30 minute drives of me and none of them showed up on the list.
Only one of them shows up on the list for me, and that one is referred to by the mall its in instead of GameStop. But I can tell you that those GameStops do have Nintendo Zone.

I do find Nintendo's list kind of funny because it includes AT&T retail stores and FedEx Office stores.

I get different results from this

http://www.att.com/maps/wifi.html#fbid=EmquJyqbEfo

My shortlist is this:

McDonald's

Starbucks

Barnes and Noble

Fedex Office

ATT Stores

Hotels

Chain Restaurants (a lot of ruby tuesday, who I thought were going out of business)

Airports

Misc Chain Stores (saw some Home Depot, North Face)

Not sure how close you need to be to connect. There's a retail store on my daily walk, so I'll see if being across the street matters. The trouble, of course, is whether anyone in my neighborhood is going to walk around with their 3DS.

This seems like it would benefit a dense city dweller immensely. Not sure about the rest of us.

Last edited by a moderator:
It depends on if the store's wifi is NZ-only or a true wifi. I can usually connect to BB or McD's from the parking lot. Home Depot's usually extends pretty far too. GameStop's however, barely go past the store.

A few problems with this

System has to be updated, a lot of 3DS users do not update their systems or never have

System must be closed in sleep mode - most people I see using a 3DS are playing a game, apparently it won't catch data from those people unless they close it

Anyways we will see if it works, hopefully my concerns are not warranted and people will actually update their systems and close them to put them in sleep mode

I know of a ton of AT&T hotspots around here so lack of hotspots is not a problem

A few problems with this

System has to be updated, a lot of 3DS users do not update their systems or never have

System must be closed in sleep mode - most people I see using a 3DS are playing a game, apparently it won't catch data from those people unless they close it

Anyways we will see if it works, hopefully my concerns are not warranted and people will actually update their systems and close them to put them in sleep mode

I know of a ton of AT&T hotspots around here so lack of hotspots is not a problem
Yea there won't be too many in the first few months, but once games like Pokemon that forces people to update their firmware it will be fine.

Yea there won't be too many in the first few months, but once games like Pokemon that forces people to update their firmware it will be fine.
That's if Pokemon forces an update this far.

Most of the people I know who have a 3DS have never even hooked it to the internet, and only update through carts if forced.

Those who connect online usually get the notification and update then. Usually.

If you don't update your system you're still playing the same tired 2 games.  Meaning they shoulda been WELL since completed (since you wouldn't be getting new puzzles).  So this point is moot.

If you don't go out with your 3DS, this won't help you get streetpasses.

Go to a mall.  You'll hit AT LEAST 1 Nintendozone.  It's there.  It'll either be Gamestop, McD, Starbucks, BestBuy, or ATT.  That's just the plan facts.

Seriously, listening to people complain is making my head spin.  It'll never be good enough.

You realize I spent tons of money on my Vita.  You know how many times it's been booted up this year?  Today.  That's right.  My system that cost just under my 360 hasn't been booted once this year due to lack of games.  (today was only cause I cheaped out and bought Dragon's Crown on it)  Whereas my 3DS goes EVERYWHERE with me.

Also,  someone somewhere further back was asking about Warriors Way?  If you use your coins to recruit mercs, there is a random possibility of MORE units showing up.  For example, 15 coins gets you 750 warriors (well based on where your castle is upgraded).  I pulled one and ended up having 8,000 new people join my army (right in time for me to battle Ninjas).  The Emperor's army is ACTUALLY calculated based on YOUR army.  So honestly, you want to start the fight with as FEW people as possible.

Yea, I realize that now. With me owning 2 3DS' I just had them attack each other over and over again to build up the army. Had about 60,000 troops going up against the Emperor the first time.

If you don't update your system you're still playing the same tired 2 games. Meaning they shoulda been WELL since completed (since you wouldn't be getting new puzzles). So this point is moot.

If you don't go out with your 3DS, this won't help you get streetpasses.

Go to a mall. You'll hit AT LEAST 1 Nintendozone. It's there. It'll either be Gamestop, McD, Starbucks, BestBuy, or ATT. That's just the plan facts.

Seriously, listening to people complain is making my head spin. It'll never be good enough.

You realize I spent tons of money on my Vita. You know how many times it's been booted up this year? Today. That's right. My system that cost just under my 360 hasn't been booted once this year due to lack of games. (today was only cause I cheaped out and bought Dragon's Crown on it) Whereas my 3DS goes EVERYWHERE with me.

Also, someone somewhere further back was asking about Warriors Way? If you use your coins to recruit mercs, there is a random possibility of MORE units showing up. For example, 15 coins gets you 750 warriors (well based on where your castle is upgraded). I pulled one and ended up having 8,000 new people join my army (right in time for me to battle Ninjas). The Emperor's army is ACTUALLY calculated based on YOUR army. So honestly, you want to start the fight with as FEW people as possible.
If you haven't played any games on the Vita that means there's a lot for you to play. Complaining that the Vita has no games is silly.

If you haven't played any games on the Vita that means there's a lot for you to play. Complaining that the Vita has no games is silly.
Seriously? That's what you took from my diatribe? I don't play indie games on the networks (either Xbox or PS). Give me actual releases and I'll consider it. Since January, you figure they released what MLB13 and Soul Sacrifice? What else? Lego Chima? (snort) They need to support their system but that's neither here nor there. Nintendo had a similar problem but they've picked up exponentially.

Different strokes for different folks. For example, there are, maybe, 5 games I would want to play on a 360 that I can't get anywhere else.

Seriously? That's what you took from my diatribe? I don't play indie games on the networks (either Xbox or PS). Give me actual releases and I'll consider it. Since January, you figure they released what MLB13 and Soul Sacrifice? What else? Lego Chima? (snort) They need to support their system but that's neither here nor there. Nintendo had a similar problem but they've picked up exponentially.
I have no problem with the street pass thing which is why I didn't mention it.

And I don't play indie games either on my Vita. And right there, if you haven't played Soul Sacrifice that's already one game. If you say that's the only game you have interest in playing then either you dont want to play the Vita or it's just not for you. I play my Vita more than my 3DS personally, but my 3DS is probably my 2nd most used system.

That's if Pokemon forces an update this far.

Most of the people I know who have a 3DS have never even hooked it to the internet, and only update through carts if forced.

Those who connect online usually get the notification and update then. Usually.
Well Mario and Luigi force you to upgrade to 5.1, so Pokemon and any game out this fall will at least update to 6.0.

I didn't realize games were forcing people to upgrade, I thought you could just put a game in and play on any firmware. I always update right away and I have my system online so that is not a problem. This will make things much easier. I am sure Pokemon will update to at least this firmware, as there might even be another firmware out by then. Also I would imagine Pokemon will have plenty of Streetpass exclusive features that will force it to upgrade to this most recent firmware and at the very least most people who will buy Pokemon will connect their systems online if they haven't already which will likely force the upgrade.

The only problem is that most of the time I get a SP from someone I see playing a 3DS, so the hotspots will not catch data from those. With the 3DS on and playing a 3DS game its still possible to get SP's if you physically pass a person, I just stand near the person which is funny but usually it catches data before I am doing that. I also get SP's when I am in the car a lot, I don't know how but it does happen, especially when on a busy highway, must be people or kids who are playing in a car. I find that most people who are in public with a 3DS are actually playing a game on them.

Having a regular DS game will block the streetpasses, but I haven't had much of a problem with this lately, when Pokemon comes out most people will dump BW2 for the new version so most people won't want to play an older DS game in public if they have the new ones.

It's true that somebody with an open 3DS near the Nintendo Zone wouldn't exchange data with the relay point; however, if you're anywhere near the zone you are walking to or from the point 3DS some point during the session so I expect they will still exchange data as I doubt many folks walk & game.

Nintendo will eventually force update for first pary titles, especially since they are now promoting Street Pass for paid content in the form of the new Plaza games. I guarantee it played a role in making NZ Street Pass-enabled.

Which is fine by me, I already get a few hits a week working at a university's medical campus, this will just make for more hits in the long run.

What the ass balls?  I've tried to do the system update twice and have gotten an error in the middle each time.  Here's for try #3 and then I give up for now...

Edit: Same problem again.  I'll try again later.  Anyone else had an issue?

What the ass balls? I've tried to do the system update twice and have gotten an error in the middle each time. Here's for try #3 and then I give up for now...

Edit: Same problem again. I'll try again later. Anyone else had an issue?
I had no problem either. Maybe try manually going into the System Settings and selecting system update? That's what I did when I heard it was available rather than waiting for the Spotpass notification, and it updated just fine.

Sheesh, one hour into Otakon and I am already tempted to do Puzzle Swap only for these tags. And I have 2 systems to keep track of!

Duke, where were ya?  Did you get a SP hit from me?

I picked up 50+ while in line.  I was TRYING to play all my games but I couldn't keep up with demand.  So I did puzzles, Warriors Quest, and the flowers.  

P.S.  My kid was there as well.  She gave up.  It was Streetpass overload for her.

P.P.S.  I can tell you the new update is working.  I did NOT stop near ANY game stores today and picked up 7 people (not including Otakon above).  I was near a couple of McD's and a Starbucks and a Fedex.  That's about it.  On average I MIGHT get 1-2.

Sheesh, one hour into Otakon and I am already tempted to do Puzzle Swap only for these tags. And I have 2 systems to keep track of!
My husband is at Otakon. Maybe I should have had him bring my 3DS. Oh well.

I tried updating by going into the eShop. I'll see if other methods work better later.

Well that's weird.  I was able to download the update without any trouble from the System Settings menu.  But it crapped out when I tried with the eShop.  Get your online shit together, Nintendo.

Well that's weird. I was able to download the update without any trouble from the System Settings menu. But it crapped out when I tried with the eShop. Get your online shit together, Nintendo.
I didnt know you could get system updates from the eShop, or was it prompting when you tried to enter the eShop?

In either event, seems like it should be calling the exact same function. Crap bug indeed.

I've had the eshop updates also crap out on me in the past. Glad I discovered manual updating seems to work better but for real, its pretty ridiculous.

Although I'm still amazed at all with Nintendo adding worthwhile functionality via firmware and not just cumbersome security patches, not to mention title updates like the MK7 patch.

Anyone know of a protector to cover the outside of an XL so it doesn't get all scratched? Something like a screen protector but it goes on the outside?

http://www.amazon.com/ArmorSuit-MilitaryShield-Nintendo-Protector-Replacements/dp/B004YERUEC

http://www.amazon.com/ArmorSuit-MilitaryShield-Nintendo-Protector-Replacements/dp/B004YERUEC/

http://www.zagg.com/invisibleshield/nintendo-3ds-xl-cases-screen-protectors-covers-skins-shields.php

have tried (not on ds) skinomi and zagg, had zagg inivisible shield on my psp once.  a bit too tacky for my taste. skinomi for something that I don't remember was ok.  but it has been years so who knows if my experiences applies.

I use this one on my Pikachu XL and it has worked really good so far. It only leaves the hinge area uncovered. It is also pretty cheap.
Looks nice. How durable is the plastic on that? Probably would crack if dropped, right? Is the hinge creaky? Does the system lock in at all?

Sorry for all the questions. This just got me thinking that I should probably protect my Animal Crossing LE a bit more.

Looks nice. How durable is the plastic on that? Probably would crack if dropped, right? Is the hinge creaky? Does the system lock in at all?

Sorry for all the questions. This just got me thinking that I should probably protect my Animal Crossing LE a bit more.
It feels about as durable as the official Horo one I have for my DSi and It probably would break if you dropped it hard enough, I think mine might have feel a few inches off my bookshelf but if it did nothing happened to it. The system sits flush in it and it does not add that much weight or bulk to it, it is mostly just to protect it from scratches.

I can't answer about the charger though because I have never used it but it does have a plug in for the 3DS type and 1 other type. It is a USB charger if it does not say so in the description.

It feels about as durable as the official Horo one I have for my DSi and It probably would break if you dropped it hard enough, I think mine might have feel a few inches off my bookshelf but if it did nothing happened to it. The system sits flush in it and it does not add that much weight or bulk to it, it is mostly just to protect it from scratches.

I can't answer about the charger though because I have never used it but it does have a plug in for the 3DS type and 1 other type. It is a USB charger if it does not say so in the description.
Yes it does mention that its USB but the description talks about it being dslite capatible.

http://www.amazon.com/ArmorSuit-MilitaryShield-Nintendo-Protector-Replacements/dp/B004YERUEC

http://www.amazon.com/ArmorSuit-MilitaryShield-Nintendo-Protector-Replacements/dp/B004YERUEC/

http://www.zagg.com/invisibleshield/nintendo-3ds-xl-cases-screen-protectors-covers-skins-shields.php

have tried (not on ds) skinomi and zagg, had zagg inivisible shield on my psp once. a bit too tacky for my taste. skinomi for something that I don't remember was ok. but it has been years so who knows if my experiences applies.
Might have to go for that Hori one even though it's a little more than I want to spend.

I use this one on my Pikachu XL and it has worked really good so far. It only leaves the hinge area uncovered. It is also pretty cheap.
Does it make the 3DS less comfortable to hold?

Might have to go for that Hori one even though it's a little more than I want to spend.

Does it make the 3DS less comfortable to hold?
Nope it is not all that thick anyways. It is about the same thickness as the one that came in the KH DDD Collectors Edition.

I guess the 2nd plug could be for a DS Lite( I don't have mine any more) so I can't confirm if it would fit it as well but it does have the plug for the 3DS and XL

has anyone used that streetpass relay that came in a system update?  how's it "work" (able to opt out?) and do tags indicate it wasn't a real streetpass?

has anyone used that streetpass relay that came in a system update? how's it "work" (able to opt out?) and do tags indicate it wasn't a real streetpass?
I've used it. Opting out is as simple as just having wireless off. Tags show it is a real streetpass.

Not a lot of places are seeded yet. There are developments, however, that allow you to do it from home. It's a bit fiddly at the moment, though.

I just used the new relay thing yesterday.  I was really surprised that it actually worked considering that the population here is about 5000 people (mostly rednecks).  In all honesty, I thought I was probably the only person around here who actually owns a 3DS (although it could have been a tourist, so that still could be true).  Anyway, it worked just like any other StreetPass; there doesn't seem to be any difference whatsoever.

I brought my 3DS to work and only got 6 hits yesterday.  I checked about 3 times during the day thinking I'd have 10 each time but no luck.  It doesn't get any busier than midtown and I even had dinner in Union Square.  Boo.

I'm also elegible for one of the rewards - should I go with Link's Awakening DX which I have practically memorized or try out Sakura Samurai which looks sort of interesting?  Also, my son plays the 3DS all the time and his favorite game is OoT even though he does nothing but run around and fight enemies (he is too young to play it properly but he can use all the items, travel through time, etc.).  He might like Sakura Samurai though since he is obsessed with swords right now.  Any thoughts on this?

I got 12 street pass hits at Brave's games over the weekend--2 on Saturday and 10 on Sunday.  Six more homes in the HHA in Animal Crossing. :D

bread's done
Back