Nintendo 3DS - General Discussion Thread

I picked up around 300-400 people at Otakon over the weekend.  And that was without being GLUED to my 3DS (many people were glued; nose into their game and not paying attention to the con they were attending).  Over the week, I've picked up (on average) around 4-5 per day since this started.  Some days I hit a bit more but I don't think I've had a less than 3 day yet since the SP thing hit.  I've not gone into a "major" city (Baltimore/D.C.) either with this.

Hardly get any tags! Been going to my local starbucks everyday to study and no tags! Fudge!!! Why does no one here have 3ds!!! Grrr! Just wish i live near a more gamer area!

I've used it. Opting out is as simple as just having wireless off. Tags show it is a real streetpass.

Not a lot of places are seeded yet. There are developments, however, that allow you to do it from home. It's a bit fiddly at the moment, though.
I wish there were a way to tell if it was a relay - yeah I'm ocd about that. Also I like to try to figure out where I got a tag and make note of the time; I first started using my 3ds on a trip - it was fun anticipating if I'd get a tag from the same person again. I'll probably hold off from the update.

I brought my 3DS to work and only got 6 hits yesterday. I checked about 3 times during the day thinking I'd have 10 each time but no luck. It doesn't get any busier than midtown and I even had dinner in Union Square. Boo.
I haven't brought my 3ds with me when I'm in the city. 6 hits seems very low, did you get the replay update? If so what do you typically get when you bring it to work? I got 2 hits when I went to a local gs (3 if you count the display unit). I'm sure I'd get at least 3-4 if I went to one of the busy stores in the city. I would expect at least a dozen around Union Sq (the "park" area where all people just hang out for no reason). Nintendo World would be at least 10 (maybe 2-3 dozen including display units) on a normal day.

Last edited by a moderator:
The relay works exactly like a normal Streetpass. However, for those of you with multiple units, only one will get a hit from the relay for the Mii Plaza. You may get game-specific hits on all. It's somewhat odd on that.

It's really something to get a Streetpass from another country.

Looking at the StreetPass location tool on the Nintendo website, I'm surprised by how many local businesses are set up as Nintendo Zones, not just the national chain stores.

The relays are still relatively new, so I wouldn't expect much out of them just yet. What I dislike is that if you have multiple units, only one gets the Mii Plaza hit. Should be a hit for each unit.

I wish there were a way to tell if it was a relay - yeah I'm ocd about that. Also I like to try to figure out where I got a tag and make note of the time; I first started using my 3ds on a trip - it was fun anticipating if I'd get a tag from the same person again. I'll probably hold off from the update.

I haven't brought my 3ds with me when I'm in the city. 6 hits seems very low, did you get the replay update? If so what do you typically get when you bring it to work? I got 2 hits when I went to a local gs (3 if you count the display unit). I'm sure I'd get at least 3-4 if I went to one of the busy stores in the city. I would expect at least a dozen around Union Sq (the "park" area where all people just hang out for no reason). Nintendo World would be at least 10 (maybe 2-3 dozen including display units) on a normal day.
I don't know what the deal was. I guess I was on the subway a lot and in the office all day (not walking around) so I didn't interact with as manyt people as I could have. Next time I'll go for a walk and see what happens but 6 is about right for me per day in NYC - before the update.

I got 12 streetpasses at the county fair yesterday! I haven't been successful getting one from a relay though
how do you know you didn't get one from a relay? according to Sycho, relay tags show up as a normal streetpass so no way to tell if it was an original streetpass tag or not.

I don't know what the deal was. I guess I was on the subway a lot and in the office all day (not walking around) so I didn't interact with as manyt people as I could have. Next time I'll go for a walk and see what happens but 6 is about right for me per day in NYC - before the update.
I might venture out with my 3ds to get an idea of how many tags I could get.

I recommend heading over to GBAtemp and perusing the 3DS tutorial area for your lack of Streetpass.
I'd love to set one up at my house, but I unfortunately don't have a WiFi card and my router isn't compatible with the firmware from their guide. I tried messing around with my router settings because it gives me the option to change the MAC address, but that was a bust.

how do you know you didn't get one from a relay? according to Sycho, relay tags show up as a normal streetpass so no way to tell if it was an original streetpass tag or not.
She may have been nowhere near a relay. I don't know about anyone else, but there is only one relay within a 50-mile radius of where I live and I have to be right next to the building to connect.

Well, having owned my 3DS for a week, I have to say I very much so like the system.

The games I've tried so far are Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing and Mario Kart 7. Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing I believe are some of the best handheld games I've ever played.

As for Mario Kart 7... Maybe it's just me, or that I've been spoiled by Sonic Transformed (PC), but MK7 is really not that great. It feels really bare bones. The Tanuki powerup is pretty much useless. Courses are pretty boring as well. I'll give it more time and see if it gets any better, but I'm feeling real skeptical.

I've still yet to try SMTIV, so I'm looking forward to that.

Also one question. What should I spend my play coins on? So far I've only spent them on getting puzzle pieces in Mii plaza.

Well, having owned my 3DS for a week, I have to say I very much so like the system.

The games I've tried so far are Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing and Mario Kart 7. Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing I believe are some of the best handheld games I've ever played.

As for Mario Kart 7... Maybe it's just me, or that I've been spoiled by Sonic Transformed (PC), but MK7 is really not that great. It feels really bare bones. The Tanuki powerup is pretty much useless. Courses are pretty boring as well. I'll give it more time and see if it gets any better, but I'm feeling real skeptical.

Also one question. What should I spend my play coins on? So far I've only spent them on getting puzzle pieces in Mii plaza.
You can use it in game for Animal Crossing or SMT IV. You can also use it in Find Mii and the other plaza game.

AC:NL uses them too.

I got a Streetpass from a McDonald's Relay on Sunday. It does work like a regular streetpass.  It took about 3-4 minutes to kick on though.  I managed to get the Skyward Sword puzzle I needed, too!

I also won a copy of Steamworld Dig from a twitter contest.  I've heard it's good, so I'm looking forward to it.

Out of the 4 new games, I'm bored with Mii Force and stopped really playing it. Flower Town is getting boring as well, but I'll likely run through it until I unlock more hats.

Warror's Way is easy to exploit if you know someone else with it and pass them regularly. (I refuse to buy these on more than one unit)/

And Monster Manor gets annoying, but I still run through it at least daily.

I got a Streetpass from a McDonald's Relay on Sunday. It does work like a regular streetpass. It took about 3-4 minutes to kick on though. I managed to get the Skyward Sword puzzle I needed, too!
I mentioned this before, but are you sure it was a relay tag and not an actual streepass with a kid or a worker with 3ds etc?

Is there a list of relay stations? I know Nintendo shows nearby Nintendo Zones on their site (are those just Nintendo sponsored wifi spots?)

I mentioned this before, but are you sure it was a relay tag and not an actual streepass with a kid or a worker with 3ds etc?

Is there a list of relay stations? I know Nintendo shows nearby Nintendo Zones on their site (are those just Nintendo sponsored wifi spots?)
Nintendo's list is out of date: www.att.com/maps/wifi.html is current.

Nintendo's list is out of date: www.att.com/maps/wifi.html is current.
That's just for Attwifi SSIDs.

Nintendo's list is only as out of date as those locations agreed to be Nintendo Zones. Best Buy stores have removed the Zones from a lot of locations and never informed Nintendo about it. Nintendo pretty much relies on the users to inform them about things like that.

I've done it quite a few times in my area.

Out of the 4 new games, I'm bored with Mii Force and stopped really playing it. Flower Town is getting boring as well, but I'll likely run through it until I unlock more hats.

Warror's Way is easy to exploit if you know someone else with it and pass them regularly. (I refuse to buy these on more than one unit)/

And Monster Manor gets annoying, but I still run through it at least daily.

Yeah, I would agree with mii force! It gets boring after a while. it takes so long to finish a casual game. Sometimes, id skip playing it all together. My favorite is warriors way. Wish theres more customization though. After getting the bundle and playing the games for awhile, i can honestly say, the $14.99 is still way too high. It should have been 7.99-9.99.

Finally started the Oracle games, playing Seasons first. Initially it doesn't feel much like Zelda, its more cartoony than Link's Awakening, but two dungeons down and I'm really enjoying it.

That's just for Attwifi SSIDs.

Nintendo's list is only as out of date as those locations agreed to be Nintendo Zones. Best Buy stores have removed the Zones from a lot of locations and never informed Nintendo about it. Nintendo pretty much relies on the users to inform them about things like that.

I've done it quite a few times in my area.
This is true, but Nintendo's list does not have many of the attfifi locations listed and all of them on this list work since the Streetpass Relay change was done on the Nintendo server side any not at the hotspot level.

I wasn't big on MK7 either. It was just okay.

MK7's big selling point was online racing, which was quickly exploited. And while Nintendo issued a patch for the most blatant one, I wouldn't race online with anyone I didn't know.

However, it is great for artificially inflating your Mii Plaza for accomplishments and/or using it on a second system to get more soldiers on Warrior's Way.

oh duh.  sorry, didn't realize I was comparing apples and oranges.

I do NOT have sonic transforemed on 3DS (only PC/Wii U)  and MK7 may very well be way better than Sonic Transformed on 3DS. I have zero knowledge of Sonic Transformed 3DS version, my bad. 

Sonic All Stars 3DS is an ungodly mess.  Which is sad, because it really is one of the best kart racers to come out in a long time.  Just a very bad downscaled port with horrendous framerate.

I heard the same thing about the Vita version. Unfortunate since the console version sounds so good and I do most gaming on portables these days.

I remember the A button on my old 3DS was a little stubborn, although the guy I bought it from logged about 200 hours in Street Fighter 4, haha. So it might just be my imagination but the XL does feel more responsive and sturdy with button presses.

Pokemon X / Y bundle coming out soon.
I think this is what I'll be waiting on myself. I still have an original 3DS...bought in that sweet spot where Walmart dropped the price to the new MSRP, but, a few days before the Ambassador program stopped.

How is that charizard decal working out for you? I have a blue xl with that same decal and one of their poke balls. It's a sweet decal but some of the corners are starting to peel up. I'm thinking of getting the blastoise one now.

So what would I lose from doing a system transfer from an Ambassador 3DS to a new 3DS XL? Ambassador games? Streetpasses? Activity list stuff (steps and time tracked)?

Pokemon X / Y bundle coming out soon.
Don't care about Pokemon at all, so I'll probably just get a normal black 3DS XL to replace my black 3DS. Probably the next time that 3DS XLs are on sale.

I think this is what I'll be waiting on myself. I still have an original 3DS...bought in that sweet spot where Walmart dropped the price to the new MSRP, but, a few days before the Ambassador program stopped.
This is the exact same scenario for me getting a 3DS, though I got mine at Best Buy. Got the Ambassador games and a price match to get my money back shortly after.

I didn't lose ANY of my Ambassador stuff... here's how it'll hafta go down though..

You buy your 3DS XL, you get on the same wifi as your 3DS.  You do your system transfer (which transfers your ambassador stuff) and then trade in your 3DS..

You don't lose anything, Frisky. Literally everything transfers, even Activity Log stuff, Mii Plaza, etc. Hell, even your friend code. My Ambassador games are on my XL, no problem. The old 3DS is returned to factory settings with a new FC. It takes about an hour for the full transfer but it's a fairly painless process once it's set up.

You don't lose anything, Frisky. Literally everything transfers, even Activity Log stuff, Mii Plaza, etc. Hell, even your friend code. My Ambassador games are on my XL, no problem. The old 3DS is returned to factory settings with a new FC. It takes about an hour for the full transfer but it's a fairly painless process once it's set up.
Thanks. I'll be keeping an eye out for a good sale to pick up a 3DS XL. The only issue that I'll have is that I'm on a 32 GB SD card, so I'll have to delete demos and back-up some saves to make it fit on the 4 GB SD card that comes with the XL.

Thanks. I'll be keeping an eye out for a good sale to pick up a 3DS XL. The only issue that I'll have is that I'm on a 32 GB SD card, so I'll have to delete demos and back-up some saves to make it fit on the 4 GB SD card that comes with the XL.
You move your current SD card as part of the process. No need to data manage.

Yup. Just transfer the card over. The system transfer process is like an account transfer sine big N doesn't have a really eshop account.

Haven't put the decal on yet.

Yup. Just transfer the card over. The system transfer process is like an account transfer sine big N doesn't have a really eshop account.

Haven't put the decal on yet.

How is that charizard decal working out for you? I have a blue xl with that same decal and one of their poke balls. It's a sweet decal but some of the corners are starting to peel up. I'm thinking of getting the blastoise one now.
Looks nice so far. I can see why it would start to peel up, if you push it into tight fitting places it would scrape against the decal.

Charizard_3dsxl.jpg

http://www.etsy.com/shop/GameThemedThings?ref=l2-shopheader-name

About to begin the 6th dungeon in Oracle of Seasons. This game is substantially harder than other Zelda games, IMO, or maybe I'm just getting soft in my old age. It's such a strange combination of Link's Awakening and elements from the 3D games - Gorons, Deku Scrubs, etc. and I still haven't gotten fully accustomed to using the seasons mechanic to solve puzzles.

Isn't this the more combat-oriented of the pair, too? Is Oracle of Ages going to make me throw my 3DS across the room?

bread's done
Back