Nintendo 3DS - General Discussion Thread

Just got home with my system and a copy of SSFIV. I was shocked when I arrived at my GameStop at 9a.m. to see nobody was there. I walked in, picked it up, and left. Strange.

I've only set the system up and made my Mii so far. I also updated the firmware and watched the OK Go 3D music video (god that bad sucks). I'm letting it charge on the cradle now and I'm going to take it over to my parents house (I spend Sundays visiting my parents) and check out SSFIV and the AR cards.

The way the handheld handles the internet is WAY better now. It connects online and STAYS online with various tools to use on the Home screen. I was lucky I didn't end up with any dead pixels or anything.

I attempted to make a Mii by taking a picture and I'm pretty shocked how similar it came out. I just had to add the facial hair and thats about it.

One feature they added that I LOVE is how the system lets you go to the Home screen mid-game, open a notepad feature, and let you take notes on games while the game is still running. That thing will work wonders for stuff like Zelda.

More impressions coming tonight. I must say though, the aqua blue and metallic finish is seeeexxxxxyyyyy.

Yup, my Gamestop had no one there either, the guys behind the counter were like WTF. So, I picked up mu system, and ran over to TRU to pickup Ridge Racer and Ghost Recon. My system is charging now, havent turned it on yet. I like to extend the wait. :)

Amazon promo credit was in my mailbox this morning, grabbed a copy of Ridge Racer with it and hopefully with free shipping it's in by the weekend since I'll have a system and no games as of tomorrow. I know the reviews are out, but everyone post your impressions anyway ;)

Extra cradle is 4 bucks, extra stylus is 3.75.
Nintendo site

AC plug is identical to the DSi one. Glad they didn't use a whole new one again.

Edit: extra battery is $15

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='utopianmachine']I'm going to die waiting til Wednesday for mine from Amazon. :cry:[/QUOTE]

You and me both!!! I'm off to TRU in a bit to pick up a few games though, I've been contemplating all morning if I should just buy one at the store. I'm sure the CAG in me will wait, $25 credit, no tax and a free accessory. You really can't beat that.

[quote name='doctorfaustus']Mine was shipped out this morning from Reno, NV with a delivery estimate of 3/28. I'm in Southern California.[/QUOTE]

I hope mine ships out too, did yours go UPS or ONTrac? The only shipping notification I've received was from Amazon was for Tangled, I was super exited then let down and then exited again for my daughter.

So can any CAGs speak to the ability/quality of playing DS games on the 3DS? I want to go pick up my preorder from GS but I'm really torn over whether or not to trade in my DS Lite. I've read some comments here and there - I know it works, but people's opinions seem to vary a lot. If you play the games in that mode with the black bars, is the resolution the same, better, or worse than playing it on a regular DS?

[quote name='skiizim']
I hope mine ships out too, did yours go UPS or ONTrac? The only shipping notification I've received was from Amazon was for Tangled, I was super exited then let down and then exited again for my daughter.[/QUOTE]

It's being shipped via UPS. Excited!

[quote name='imacjenn']So can any CAGs speak to the ability/quality of playing DS games on the 3DS? I want to go pick up my preorder from GS but I'm really torn over whether or not to trade in my DS Lite. I've read some comments here and there - I know it works, but people's opinions seem to vary a lot. If you play the games in that mode with the black bars, is the resolution the same, better, or worse than playing it on a regular DS?[/QUOTE]

Seems to depend on your tolerance for slightly blurrier pixels.
I personally can't stand it, especially with what is supposed to be beautiful 2D sprites.

LOL was over at gamestop picking up a game when a worker says you me..

you might be right with people not wanting the 3ds...seems only 1 person came in their store and preordered the system and you can get them everywhere compair to how hard it was to get the ds system when it first came....

i told them well its only the first day and the First Ds system came out around nov and im sure many people grabbed those for the hoilday and not many people want to give their children a 250 buck handheld in the middle of spring (no major holidays)

then he asked if i wanted one... maybe in june i told him once the store opens in may and hopefully some info on rpg games ...but until i see the 3ds online store and if any major rpg games hit i have no interest in the system

funny thing is i was looking over some of my older bills and found out i was able to get a DS system at best buy at 50 bucks off Jan 2005 when it came out in Nov 2004.... was a little shocked that i got a ds system that fast when it came out

Now what im hearing is true (about the online store having almost all gameboy games in it) might be tempted just to buy it as a gameboy player :)

I would like some INsite though

how big of a difference is the 3ds compair to the xl dsi... are the screens that much smaller (can you tell it)

i still dont like the idea of playing 3d games this close to your face so i would have my ds 3D OFF at all times....

(cough cough anyone notice the lack of 3d movies coming out now ---fad over?__)

and stupid question but does every 3ds game in 100% 3d or just certain parts of the game

[quote name='imacjenn']So can any CAGs speak to the ability/quality of playing DS games on the 3DS? I want to go pick up my preorder from GS but I'm really torn over whether or not to trade in my DS Lite. I've read some comments here and there - I know it works, but people's opinions seem to vary a lot. If you play the games in that mode with the black bars, is the resolution the same, better, or worse than playing it on a regular DS?[/QUOTE]

Kotaku did a comparison between the two

http://uk.kotaku.com/5785954/how-the-3ds-alters-ds-games-and-what-you-should-do-about-it

[quote name='dallow']Seems to depend on your tolerance for slightly blurrier pixels.
I personally can't stand it, especially with what is supposed to be beautiful 2D sprites.[/QUOTE]

So it IS blurrier? If so, I don't think it's worth it. I can deal with black bars, but not lower quality too. :whistle2:/

[quote name='imacjenn']If you play the games in that mode with the black bars, is the resolution the same, better, or worse than playing it on a regular DS?[/QUOTE]
If you use the mode with black bars the resolution is the same, the pixels and display are smaller. The benefit is it can make the image appear much sharper (though small text may be harder to read). The problem is that it can make it more difficult to use the stylus for DS games that demand exact accuracy.

[quote name='imacjenn']So it IS blurrier? If so, I don't think it's worth it. I can deal with black bars, but not lower quality too. :whistle2:/[/QUOTE]

My mistake, I thought you meant in full mode.
Not the native res mode.

In that mode it should look fine pixel-wise. Color temp may vary but that's all LCDs.
However, it's really freakin' small!

[quote name='imacjenn']So it IS blurrier? If so, I don't think it's worth it. I can deal with black bars, but not lower quality too. :whistle2:/[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's blurrier. I haven't spent much time with my 3DS yet but I noticed right away that DS games look much sharper on my DSi XL. Didn't try it in native mode, that will turn off the blur filter but the picture area will be much smaller (as has been stated).

Only messed with it for an hour or so... made a Mii, played SF4, tried some AR stuff.

Thus far, I'm a fan. I actually like the look and feel of the system, the analog nub is great, and the 3D works reasonably well. The cameras suck, though, which should surprise no one.

As someone who was on the fence, I'm pleasantly surprised. We get some games to start rolling in and I'll be happy.

hmmmm...thanks for the feedback - and the link to that article. I'm gonna trade it in...kind of hate to, but if if I don't do it today then I never will and I could use the extra trade-in bonus they have going on ($50 vs. the regular $25). esp. since I'm finally going to get an iPhone this week too. :)

Any recommendations for screen protectors? The Hori ones I wanted are on a 2-4 week wait, the Nintendo official Power A ones seem like a good deal but I'm worried it might be an adhesive type vs static.

[quote name='imacjenn']hmmmm...thanks for the feedback - and the link to that article. I'm gonna trade it in...kind of hate to, but if if I don't do it today then I never will and I could use the extra trade-in bonus they have going on ($50 vs. the regular $25). esp. since I'm finally going to get an iPhone this week too. :)[/QUOTE]

If your DS Lite is in good condition and one of those out of production colors you can easily get more than $50 for it on ebay, so you really don't have to make a decision now. However if it is kind of beat up then by all means trade it in

My Puzzle Bobble game shipped from Amazon...but still no 3DS :(

Oh well, not like any of the games are OMG gotta play them.

Would like to use the Nub with Pokemon Black though. That nub is the best thing about the system.

I may remember this incorrectly but when the DS launched they were widely available in my area. I bought one day one and when I saw the low demand I thought boy maybe this thing would take off. At that time big N was still saying a true sequel to the GameBoy was coming.

I only played the 3ds an hour or so but it will be fine. I'm liking it so far. SSF4 looks great.

Yeah, these are everywhere right now. TRU had a metric shit-ton this morning. More black than blue, though, weirdly.

Will say this... SSF4 is the launch game to get. Looks great, good use of 3D, and one hell of a game. Highly recommended to anyone picking a system up soon.

just got the 3ds. OK Go video looks fantastic; feel sorry for the people with the JP video now, that thing was a pathetic excuse for a 3d movie.

I also did get a unit that's got a slightly squeaky circle pad and yellow screens -- things I probably would have tolerated if I didnt already have a perfect JP unit. Hope this isn't the case with everyone and I just happened to run into a dud, will be going to BB to exchange units.

[quote name='sunghost']Yeah, it's blurrier. I haven't spent much time with my 3DS yet but I noticed right away that DS games look much sharper on my DSi XL. Didn't try it in native mode, that will turn off the blur filter but the picture area will be much smaller (as has been stated).[/QUOTE]

Smaller than what?

I am holding my DS Lite above my 3ds and native mode the top screens are the same size and it does not appear blurrier than the ds lite... I didnt try stretch mode.

It may be smaller than the full screen 3ds, but that has a bigger top screen..

If you dont have the XL then you are not really losing any real estate.

[quote name='Snake2715']Smaller than what?

I am holding my DS Lite above my 3ds and native mode the top screens are the same size and it does not appear blurrier than the ds lite... I didnt try stretch mode.

It may be smaller than the full screen 3ds, but that has a bigger top screen..

If you dont have the XL then you are not really losing any real estate.[/QUOTE]

yea the 3ds is a little bigger then the normal Ds..... i wonder if when or if we will see a 3ds XL only took what 5 years for a XL dsi

will the downloads be in 3d or just the cart based games.....

also are the cart base games 100% 3d....
do they look werid if you leave the 3d off

I went to Best Buy to get something else and tried the demo of pilotwings. I turned the 3d all the way up and it seemed blurry. The title screens in 3D were better.

Not worth it if you ask me; overpriced, and no good games for it. They had a shiton of them at Best Buy - I think they only sold one. And costco had a ton too.

[quote name='slidecage']yea the 3ds is a little bigger then the normal Ds..... i wonder if when or if we will see a 3ds XL only took what 5 years for a XL dsi

do they look werid if you leave the 3d off[/QUOTE]

the cart games seem to be mostly 3d, but not entirely. for example, the cutscenes in SSF4 are not(3d light turns off when its showing 2d only content)

they dont look weird at all with the 3d off!

oh, about the DS game stuff... i just played some spirit tracks and it seemed fine to me. I'm not debating that it's blurrier.. just saying depending on how picky you are it may not bother you at all.

[quote name='2DMention']I went to Best Buy to get something else and tried the demo of pilotwings. I turned the 3d all the way up and it seemed blurry. The title screens in 3D were better.

Not worth it if you ask me; overpriced, and no good games for it. They had a shiton of them at Best Buy - I think they only sold one. And costco had a ton too.[/QUOTE]

the best buy unit is a bad way to judge.. its hard to get it in the right position.

and beyond that, pilotwings' 3d seems to be a bit overbearing to begin with.. i definitely have to focus a certain way on it compared to street fighter

[quote name='dallow']???

Japanese units got the sweet ass jazz performances of classic Nintendo tunes from Koji Kondo.[/QUOTE]

But I already watched it three times during the Nintendo World livestream! 3D in it was one of those cardboard cutout types that was obviously made from originally 2D footage. The OK Go one is infinitely better in the sense of being a video. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a CD of the nintendo Jazz performance though, if there was such a thing.

And I did end up exchanging for a better unit. Had a geek squad guy help me out, hit 1 black with an even worse yellow tint, a blue with immaculate screens (but I wanted black), and finally a black that we both thought was good enough a display to keep (slightly yellow, but probably not enough to notice when playing). For most people with 1 3DS it probably won't be an issue, but if you care about perfect screens it might help to compare the LCDs with a friend or two.

[quote name='slidecage']yea the 3ds is a little bigger then the normal Ds..... i wonder if when or if we will see a 3ds XL only took what 5 years for a XL dsi

do they look werid if you leave the 3d off[/QUOTE]

NO they look like a normal game.

So you can slide it off.

Also some people at kiosks... thats angled low for kids, so bend down or something. You need to be at the right angle to see this. There is quite a large target area (if you will) vertically, Horizontally you can move left or right and still get the effect, but if you center it the effect is better.

i dont think it will be hard to play these games in 3d over a period of time, and if it does jus tslide the 3d off. your not going to be playing AR games in a moving environment (car, subway, etc) anyway I cant imagine.

[quote name='smoger']the best buy unit is a bad way to judge.. its hard to get it in the right position.

and beyond that, pilotwings' 3d seems to be a bit overbearing to begin with.. i definitely have to focus a certain way on it compared to street fighter[/QUOTE]

also pilotwings had depth and SFIV seems to pop.

The AR games are interesting espeically as a show piece. I have been deciding all day whether I will dump my lite and keep my 3ds or not..

Don't forget this can't run Gameboy Advance games...

[quote name='tbassett']I may remember this incorrectly but when the DS launched they were widely available in my area. I bought one day one and when I saw the low demand I thought boy maybe this thing would take off. At that time big N was still saying a true sequel to the GameBoy was coming. [/quote]

Oh yeah, there was NO ONE trying to get a DS when I bought mine. Apparently it didn't sell well until the DS Lite launched, and of course didn't really have much of a library for a long time either (this actually seems stronger out of the gate in terms of library).

I hope I'll have this easy of a time getting an NGP :(

[quote name='smoger']the best buy unit is a bad way to judge.. its hard to get it in the right position.[/quote]

I've only used the Best Buy unit and hated it, but I don't know why it would be hard to get it in to the right position... It also confirmed that with "3D" off, it's still not quite right.

This is kind of lame, but does anyone remember NCAA Basketball on the SNES? Used Mode 7 graphics if I remember correctly? I was thinking of how awesome that would be on the 3DS.

I went and got mine today, I really love that thing lol! I been around town today and it seems sold out as far as I am concerned. I guess we'll see sales data here in a bit but it reminds me of the DS launch in some ways. As for the DS games, they are stretched but they don't look bad to me at all. It seems to me the internet is really good about bitching about shit, as usual. I shouldn't have been too worried.

I am curious, I keep reading from here and there that it had really high pre-orders and Nintendo shipped a crapton of systems. But at the same time, depending on location, some places are sold out and others are not. I'm sure within a week they'll be hard to find.

I've played with mine for about an hour now. I played Ghost Recon and the AR games for a bit. The 3d looks excellent. I was a little concerned because when I played the demo unit I had a little bit of issue with my eyes not adjusting to 3d at times but in the entire time I played my unit I didn't have that problem at all.

So far I'd agree with one of the reviews I read of Ghost Recon. It clearly began life as a regular DS game but it's not too bad. It's definitely no tech demo but there certainly seems to be a decent amount of gameplay in it. The 3d is pretty low key but if you like turn based strategy games its not too bad. Overall I'm pretty pleased with my purchase of it.

Was able to swap out my dead pixel one no problem. my new one is perfect. I've played a bit of pilot wings, I think its kind of boring. Face Raiders and the AR Stuff is really cool though.

Every store around here (Gamestop, Walmart, and Kmart) have a shit load of these in-stock. Both Walmart and Kmart had at least two dozen just sitting there. They don't really seem to be a hot seller judging by the stores here, as well as some of the posts in this thread.

Huh, this is going to sound random, but I didn't know the 3DS has a infrared transceiver on the top. That hasn't been done since GBC. Makes you wonder what they are going to do with that...

The DS definitely started off with slow sales, and that was with a much stronger launch lineup than the 3DS has. I remember buying mine on impulse on release day on the shelf at Toys R Us.

My gamestop experience sucked. The store was open but I was behind a group of fucking whiny 8 year old kids who kept whining every like 5 minutes what time is it, blah blah blah with no respect to their parents who drove out at 10. I was surprised though seeing that there was not that many people there, maybe 10-15 people with preorders.

Now as for the console itself, I love it. At least for pilotwings it doesn't have all of that wow look at stuff popping out of the screen (which gets annoying to me). Pilotwings does it right and adds a nice layer of depth perception which adds to the experience in my opinion.

I love the machine so much I had to go buy Rayman 3D today.

My only complaint about Pilotwings is not that it's short, but I am about halfway through the game and it's too fucking easy so far.

[quote name='Snake2715']NO they look like a normal game.

So you can slide it off.

Also some people at kiosks... thats angled low for kids, so bend down or something. You need to be at the right angle to see this. There is quite a large target area (if you will) vertically, Horizontally you can move left or right and still get the effect, but if you center it the effect is better.

i dont think it will be hard to play these games in 3d over a period of time, and if it does jus tslide the 3d off. your not going to be playing AR games in a moving environment (car, subway, etc) anyway I cant imagine.[/QUOTE]

ooo im waiting for the news story tonight

first at 6.. someone cause a 52 car pile up while playing with their new 3ds on the way home instead of driving their car :)

My friend code is 4639-8952-1912 if anyone wants to share. Just PM me or whatever to let me know to add you too.

I'm digging the system a lot so far. I got Ridge Racer and Pilotwings at TRU and both seem fun so far. I might get Street Fighter next depending on if I want to start playing online more.

I did manage to get three Miis with Streetpass at TRU.

Wolfpup, yeah, I still have my GBA SP for regular GBA games, so no worries on that front.(Except I do seem to have misplaced the charger).

I went to GS near opening this morning and there weren't many people there. I got unit card #7, so I assume they had only sold 7 up till the point I got there (because I preordered way late so I definitely wasn't preorder #7). Anyway, the guy at the GS said they had a lot of preorders but only got 2 units that weren't preorders. I was at Target and Best Buy today too and they had plenty of units out for sale so I don't think anyone would have a problem finding one.

I did trade in my DS Lite, even though it was hard for me to to do! I had an original launch unit, plain white, good condition but I'm not sure I would have gotten much more than $50 on it for eBay if I'd tried selling it later.

Now, playing regular DS games on the 3DS.... obviously, I don't have my Lite here to compare it to directly anymore... but just putting a game in, and playing in the mode with the black bars on the left and right sides (which mine did automatically), the games look okay. So, even on the default setting, mine is not stretching the game to fill the whole screen so maybe that's why it doesn't look too bad. The text looks decent, but yeah, it might be a little more blurry. Then, this is still a DS we're talking about - no DS has stellar graphics. (It's not like it has a Retina Display!). When I ran the game in native resolution (holding down the start and select when selecting the game) it IS rather small...probably too small for my tastes. So larger and fair or smaller and more clear - yeah, I guess it's just what everyone has said. Load times aren't bad, but quitting times are a little longer. (and the game I tested this on was Okamiden).

I did check for an update when I turned the 3DS on and it ran and said it was updating something - I have no idea what?

I got the Monkeyball game, but I'm not that into it so I haven't opened it yet - just had a Target gift card so I thought I'd use it on a game... but I kind of feel like returning it and waiting until the prices drop on the launch games. $40 is too much for any of them, imo. Even the decent ones are short in length or remakes of old games...all seem to have a problem or two.

Last edited by a moderator:
I went out shopping today with my wife and saw at least 5 3DSes at my local target. Best Buy was either hiding them or they sold out since i didn't see any in cages or on display. I don't know if that was an anomaly or representative of my region (obviously, since i only have two data points)

I wonder what Nintendo's launch sale numbers are going to look like? It certainly doesn't seem like Wii-level hysteria.

[quote name='spmahn']The DS definitely started off with slow sales, and that was with a much stronger launch lineup than the 3DS has. I remember buying mine on impulse on release day on the shelf at Toys R Us.[/QUOTE]

Same here, but insert Wal Mart. I think Christmas '04 saw OK sales, but it didn't reach mass until the next year with nintendogs.

I'm impressed by Nintendo. After them, Sony, and Microsoft made the mistakes of repeatedly producing far too few systems for the release hype, Nintendo made the right move and made more than enough. I know that the 3DS has probably sold 5 million or something since midnight, but they still have plenty to spare. I was at Gamestop picking up some PSN cards (at 4pm), and the guy there said they still have a bunch in stock even after their midnight release. Props Nintendo. Don't make the same mistake as the Wii, PS3, 360, PSP, etc.

I just hope I can score a NGP this easily come November.

bread's done
Back