Nintendo 3DS - General Discussion Thread

The 3D made me feel very uneasy at first. If I saw any demos before I purchased it might have altered my decision for preorder, but I knew something like this takes some visual conditioning to get use to.

Turning the power save mode on and the brightness down to medium helped a lot. That bright intensity was causing my uneasiness of the 3D more than anything else. I leave the 3D on just about all the time now.

Could it be possible that its good for all in-stock 3DS titles, but because launch titles are the only titles in that list currently, thats what it looks like?

[quote name='Mad D']Turning the power save mode on and the brightness down to medium helped a lot. That bright intensity was causing my uneasiness of the 3D more than anything else. I leave the 3D on just about all the time now.[/QUOTE]

What's power save mode do in regards to the visuals?

[quote name='Wolfpup']What's power save mode do in regards to the visuals?[/QUOTE]Less contrast. The contrast was pretty bold on default.

Also I just realized that it (the 3D) is kind of like getting used to a new glasses/contact prescription. Anyone who has worn things for corrective vision must have experience headaches from newer stronger prescriptions but your brain adjust and conditions itself.

That's the same feeling I had with the 3D and now I'm pretty much use to it with any setting.

I finally got to try it out and all I can say is that I enjoyed it for about 3-4 minutes before I had to stop playing. It felt like somebody was jamming a screwdriver between my eyes. The pain lasted for about half and hour even after I stopped.

All I got to do was try out one of the Augmented Reality cards. I tried the Mario one first but it couldn't recognize it. The mystery block card worked fine... it was fun but as I suspected, I can't see 3D. It just looks like the 3D parts are focused more than the rest.

But this might be the first system that I literally can't enjoy.:whistle2:\ Anybody else get any type of headaches or eye strain from play the 3DS?

I was getting nauseous last night, but today it's been a bit better. I can see the 3d effect fully though, I just need to get used to it. Maybe it's my eyes have been virgin my whole life. No glasses or contacts or anything. Not used to having anything strain my eyes like this.

I finally got around to opening my Ghost Recon and already got the black screen of death three times within the first three levels. What to do, what to do.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Huh...okay, that's cool. I still don't think I'm going to though, because I'm just too conditioned not to change cartridges with the system on LOL. Plus I might do it on my DS Lite or Gameboy games!

So I guess...well I don't have the thing yet, so I hopefully the suspend thing will make sense then.

Wonder if anyone's figured out how the "streetpass" mode or whatever it's called works...if its just sticking the game on sleep mode, or if it actually registers code for multiple games with the system or what (not that I care much, but kind of curious).[/QUOTE]Yeah, I had to unlearn that too. It's safe though, the manual mentions it.

As for Streetpass, it just a wireless feature that allows game data to pass info to each other while in sleep mode. You can have up to 12 "streetpass" games using it at once.
So if I'm somewhere near a lot of other sleeping 3DS systems, it'll trade info with them regarding whatever games I have it activated for.

ex: Mii Plaza - You get new Miis from other people for use in the Mii RPG game.
SFIV - Your in-game figurines battle it out with each other
Music - trades music tracks with other people

[quote name='Vinny']I finally got to try it out and all I can say is that I enjoyed it for about 3-4 minutes before I had to stop playing. It felt like somebody was jamming a screwdriver between my eyes. The pain lasted for about half and hour even after I stopped.

All I got to do was try out one of the Augmented Reality cards. I tried the Mario one first but it couldn't recognize it. The mystery block card worked fine... it was fun but as I suspected, I can't see 3D. It just looks like the 3D parts are focused more than the rest.

But this might be the first system that I literally can't enjoy.:whistle2:\ Anybody else get any type of headaches or eye strain from play the 3DS?[/QUOTE]You can, just turn the 3D off. It looks great without it.

It really does look great without 3D. I played SFIV a little without 3D (never played it on anything but the 3DS, FWIW) and I was really impressed. I can't wait to see what the next Mario platformer looks like, or Animal Crossing.

I've been really surprised at how well I see the 3D. I've always been susceptible to headaches (just in general) and new glasses always mess me up for a few days. I was concerned after trying the 3DS in Target on Friday as after I was done I sort of felt like I was "floating" (Hard to describe) and was a little dizzy. But I haven't had that issue at all at home, and I haven't really noticed headaches or anything like that.

The only weird issue I've had is if I'm tired (or just been playing a while), my eyes start to have trouble focusing on the 3d. I was playing Ridge Racer before bed last night and could barely finish the track I was on as my eyes/brain/whatever just could not focus properly at all. (and I don't really notice anything weird when I'm playing the 3DS with how my eyes are)

So far, so good for me... I just have to take it in small doses and take breaks every once in a while, like they suggest.

I do think some of the weak graphics are just bad launch title issues; a lot of these games were likely originally DS games or were just quick semi-shovelware to get 3d. I am really hoping the next wave of games will look better overall.

[quote name='Mad D']Less contrast. The contrast was pretty bold on default.[/quote]

Now that's weird! I wonder what the technical reason is for that? I mean contrast taking more power? Strange! Well thanks for the explanation.

[quote name='Vinny']I finally got to try it out and all I can say is that I enjoyed it for about 3-4 minutes before I had to stop playing. It felt like somebody was jamming a screwdriver between my eyes. The pain lasted for about half and hour even after I stopped.

But this might be the first system that I literally can't enjoy.:whistle2:\ Anybody else get any type of headaches or eye strain from play the 3DS?[/QUOTE]

I suspect I will, but (idiotically?) am going ahead with this anyway. If I get issues though I'm selling it, Mario Galaxy team game + Paper Mario or not :whistle2:/ Must force myself to, not worth my vision or whatever if this causes issues.

Nothing too much from just a couple minutes play at least.

[quote name='dallow']As for Streetpass, it just a wireless feature that allows game data to pass info to each other while in sleep mode. You can have up to 12 "streetpass" games using it at once.[/quote]

Wow, that's surprising and cool that 12 games can be registered with it at once! I wonder if they can notify you without loading up the actual game. That's actually a neat gimmick for a portable. I suspect it won't have tons of use in the U.S., but it sure will in Japan...and who knows, it could start catching on here in the U.S. That's WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more useful than having to have a single game on in sleep mode to pull it off!

What the heck, I know maybe one person who may get a 3DS (he's got a DS and a PSP and a notebook he plays games on constantly).

You can, just turn the 3D off. It looks great without it.

That's where I'm still concerned, because my initial impression is there's still something "off" about it, which was my fear from the beginning. We'll see though. I guess I'm in it (accidentally :lol:). Have the system tomorrow, order some spare AC Adapters later this week plus accessories. Order a couple more games tomorrow too...

Wolfpup, why do you need spare AC adapters, and what accessories? I'm only asking because I never considered any of this and I'm curious as to what's out there and actually good.

I went ahead and ordered Pilotwings and Samurai Warriors. Those with SFIV will give me a wide variety to play with until good stuff starts coming out, and all three ending up costing me $45, so I'm happy.

I don't know, top screen looks perfect to me in 2D.

And I like to think I'm pretty discerning about these things.
It's very sharp depending on the source.

[quote name='Rocko']Wolfpup, why do you need spare AC adapters, and what accessories? I'm only asking because I never considered any of this and I'm curious as to what's out there and actually good.[/quote]

Most importantly I'm getting a screen protector for the bottom screen before I crack it open, since I've found it's much easier to put it on first thing before any dust gets on there or whatever.

I guess I'll get a case too though...maybe another hard shell case for $12ish, can't even think of the company's name, but the XL one is fine.

Annoyingly, none of the accessories Amazon gives you free seem useful to me!

The AC adapters, I was wanting a spare for my XL anyway, and I'd want a spare for this too, but just to have, and also to...err...leave other places they might be handy :D

[quote name='dallow']I don't know, top screen looks perfect to me in 2D.

And I like to think I'm pretty discerning about these things.
It's very sharp depending on the source.[/QUOTE]

Looked different to me at Best Buy. Who knows, maybe it won't when I have it at home, but bare minimum you've got that second layer it's having to pass through, that must change how it looks a little even when it's theoretically directing all the light in the same direction.

That's been my main question since last year actually. And I really don't have a definite answer yet. Didn't look normal to me at BB, but...between accidentally allowing my system to ship, plus my love of Nintendo stuff, I'm giving it a longer shot.

[quote name='62t']Thats also possible. I am also hoping that some of the launch titles get a price drop before the deadline[/QUOTE]

This. I have three DS games to play: Okamiden, Ghost Trick and Pokemon Black. I figure one of the less popular launch titles will drop in price like Super Monkey Ball, Rayman 2 or Puzzle Bobble

[quote name='muffin1man']This. I have three DS games to play: Okamiden, Ghost Trick and Pokemon Black. I figure one of the less popular launch titles will drop in price like Super Monkey Ball, Rayman 2 or Puzzle Bobble[/QUOTE]

Hee hee, I probably have...10+ unplayed DS games? And that's not counting that I wouldn't mind trying Okamiden and Ghost Trick (would for sure if I were flat out of stuff to play) :lol:

do what I did for a screen protector on my DS.

I got some medium weight vinyl sheeting from the crafts section at walmart. Took a good week or two to really break in, but it's been on for 3 years or so now it cost peanuts. No sticky residue or anything.

OK, I don't get it. It says you can transfer Miis from the Wii. Is this one of those things that isn't implemented yet despite what the following says on Nintendo's site:

1.Access the Mii Channel on the Wii console.

On the Nintendo 3DS:

2.Select the Mii Maker icon on the HOME Menu, and tap "Open."

3.Tap the Send/Receive Button.

4.Tap the "Mii Channel (Wii)" Button.

On the Wii Console:

5.Tap the "Connect to DS" icon on the right side of the screen.

On the Nintendo 3DS:

6.Tap the Wii Console nickname to confirm the connection.

On the Wii Console:

7.While pressing and holding the A and B buttons, pick up the desired Mii and drag it to the empty box at the top of the screen.
On the Nintendo 3DS:

8.Tap "OK" on the Nintendo 3DS to confirm the transfer.

9.Repeat steps 1 through 7 to transfer any additional Mii Characters, and then tap "Cancel" to exit the transfer process.

There is no "Connect to the DS" icon in the Mii Channel. WTF!? I have 2 Wii's and both are current with system updates - no icon. And the additional instructions on the 3DS don't work either (press A, B, 1 then press and hold 2).

This is just strange. I swear others here said they transfered Miis. I have a launch system Wii that is a bit flaky (it lost all its memory at one point). But I also have a brand new red system from just a few months back. Like I said, both are current on the system updates (the old one I just updated and the new one was already current).

Help!?

3DS arrived yesterday, and holy crap do I love it. No issues with the 3D at all, no haziness or headaches (I'm nearsighted and wear glasses with a medium to light prescription, FWIW).

Also, Ridge Racer is amazing. For me, as a lifelong Ridge Racer obsessive, this is worth the system purchase alone. Great colors, great tracks, great music, great game. Weird that it looks so much better than the official trailer video (which had me concerned). Maybe Namco couldn't figure out how to capture video properly.

I haven't bought any games but the Face Raiders game that comes with the system is a blast. It works surprisingly well even with cat faces. That's faces, people...

It does have a bit of trouble guessing age and gender of kids, but I give them points for trying. It identified my 1 year old girl as a child (4-10). Then it ID's my 3 year old son as an infant girl, and my 8 year-old son as a girl child.

The photo-to-Mii conversion is pretty sweet. It didn't come too far off my self-made Mii except for the fact that it tends to make features very small (and they really need to be exaggerated to make good Miis).

[quote name='io']OK, I don't get it. It says you can transfer Miis from the Wii. Is this one of those things that isn't implemented yet despite what the following says on Nintendo's site:

There is no "Connect to the DS" icon in the Mii Channel. WTF!? I have 2 Wii's and both are current with system updates - no icon. And the additional instructions on the 3DS don't work either (press A, B, 1 then press and hold 2).

This is just strange. I swear others here said they transfered Miis. I have a launch system Wii that is a bit flaky (it lost all its memory at one point). But I also have a brand new red system from just a few months back. Like I said, both are current on the system updates (the old one I just updated and the new one was already current).

Help!?[/QUOTE]
I read someone's short description how to do it. Unless someone beats me, I'll post and try myself when I get back home.

I need my Morrissey Mii!

[quote name='utopianmachine']This thread is killing me. Glad I only have to wait until I get home from work tomorrow early afternoon to get my 3DS from Amazon.[/QUOTE]

Same here! I just looked and it's on the truck and should be at my house this afternoon. Glad I didn't pay for overnight as it ended up coming overnight for free.

Dang, what brand screen protectors are good?

I'm seeing Hori and Power A, which are both licensed, and out of stock. There's Icon, which apparently does not use glue (don't know about the other two) because it says it can be reapplied, though it's not licensed, which may or may not mean anything. They're actually the most expensive, and could be the best for all I know.

I've used like Pelican before and been perfectly happy...

EDIT: Kind of undecided on a case too, between the Hori hard shell ones that don't hold much, and the more expensive/larger soft Power A one...

[quote name='io']OK, I don't get it. It says you can transfer Miis from the Wii. Is this one of those things that isn't implemented yet despite what the following says on Nintendo's site:

Help!?[/QUOTE]

I was the one that posted about it.

I didn't have a 'Transfer to DS' button either, so I had to use the button presses. Go into the Mii Maker on the 3DS and choose the Send/Receive option. Choose to connect to the Mii Channel. At this point the 3DS will sit in searching mode until you manually connect the Wii Mii Channel to it.

The button presses work, but I found it to be temperamental. Simply press (NOT press and hold) the buttons in the order it tells you (A, B, 1) and then HOLD the 2 button afterwards. A prompt should pop on your TV that asks if you want to connect to the wireless device to transfer Miis. Should be good to go.

Once it works, there's a box at the top where you drag the Mii you want to send. One at a time, and you HAVE to confirm it on the 3DS before sending another... it's just a little message telling you it showed up, but until you click 'ok' to dismiss the message, no other Mii will actually get sent.

That's it, really. Just keep trying the button presses, it'll work eventually. Easy transfer, too, I got about 15 of my Miis sent over in about 2 minutes. Way, way easier than creating them. Plus, you can edit them with the new 3DS stuff, like the full beard.

I've always stuck with Hori myself, but with the 3DS I tried the Power A since no local stores had Horis in stock and I didn't want to wait for shipping. I'm impressed actually, it went on very easiy and I was able to get the few air bubbles out with the edge of a credit card. You can hardly tell it has a screen protector on it now. My only issue is that the pack said it had 2 screen protectors, but it was really just one protector each for the top and bottom screens (I didn't use the top one.) Personally I like multipacks, since sometimes you have to try a couple of times, but I got it right in one shot here. If I had messed up and needed another protector I would have been pissed.

Cases are subjective, as everyone wants something different, but I like this case:

http://www.gamestop.com/nintendo-3ds/accessories/3ds-pull-go-folio/89907?ref=recpdp&cross=800724

It has a smaller case that holds the system and two games, and it fits inside a larger case that can hold accessories and a lot more games. The velcro is super strong though, which can be good or bad depending on how you look at it.

Oh hey, that looks pretty cool! Maybe I'll cancel my Power A one and do that instead....lots of good choices though!

[quote name='dallow']Oh, not related at all.

So like in the DSi main menu, you can just pop out the cartridge, and it'll bounce or something and disappear, put a new one in, etc. No need to power down.

With the 3DS you just have to make sure you don't have the game in the background. (ie, playing SFIV, hitting home to go to main menu, then taking out cartridge)[/QUOTE]

i did that a few times and didnt get a black screen.. it just removes the game from the main menu screen and recognized the new game.

Wow, Operation Raccoon City sounds lame to me (I mean it's not my thing). No interest in Mercenaries either.

Is Revelations the same game as the PSP one? I'd think at this point maybe it'll hit both systems? It's about freaking time they do another (real) Resident Evil game!

Help!?[/QUOTE]

I have to try this as well and will let you know.

I bought a 3ds last night. I can't see the 3d. I have had problems with my eyes through my life...I literally just can't see the 3D. However, still worth it without it. Better graphical capabilities than the DSI/lite and it opens me up to both librarys. I am pretty happy with it. I bought street fighter 3D and Pokemon black. Glad to have a DS again.

[quote name='Birakon']I bought a 3ds last night. I can't see the 3d. I have had problems with my eyes through my life...I literally just can't see the 3D. However, still worth it without it. Better graphical capabilities than the DSI/lite and it opens me up to both librarys. I am pretty happy with it. I bought street fighter 3D and Pokemon black. Glad to have a DS again.[/QUOTE]

I think one thing that keeps getting lost with the 3DS is that it is the next gen DS. At some point this will the the only nintendo portable system to play. If sales are good then we will see the dev shift from DS to 3DS quickly. I do think Big N made a mistake in pushing the 3d. They might have been better served to call it the Super Nintendo DS with 3d capabilities.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Birakon']I bought a 3ds last night. I can't see the 3d. I have had problems with my eyes through my life...I literally just can't see the 3D. However, still worth it without it. Better graphical capabilities than the DSI/lite and it opens me up to both librarys. I am pretty happy with it. I bought street fighter 3D and Pokemon black. Glad to have a DS again.[/QUOTE]

Out of curiosity, what do you see with "3D" mode on? Blurry? Two images? It just looks normal?

I bought some generic screen protectors from eBay, 3 sets for a couple dollars. They came in factory sealed little bags and look like they were swiped from the production line :lol: They work as well any other protector would and they don't leave a sticky film either since they are the suction/static kind.

[quote name='Wolfpup']

Is Revelations the same game as the PSP one? [/QUOTE]

No, and I thought Capcom canceled the PSP game.

[quote name='Mad D']No, and I thought Capcom canceled the PSP game.[/QUOTE]

Maybe, I haven't heard about it for a few months. I don't understand why they wouldn't release it on both systems though. (Ditto for Street Fighter 4...why isn't it on Wii and Playstation too?)

[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']Hoping that my trade goes through

My 120GB PS3 slim

His 3DS Soooo excited ![/QUOTE]

Yikes, that other guy is getting the raw end of the deal (unless its a new PS3).

[quote name='io']I haven't bought any games but the Face Raiders game that comes with the system is a blast. It works surprisingly well even with cat faces. That's faces, people...

It does have a bit of trouble guessing age and gender of kids, but I give them points for trying. It identified my 1 year old girl as a child (4-10). Then it ID's my 3 year old son as an infant girl, and my 8 year-old son as a girl child.

The photo-to-Mii conversion is pretty sweet. It didn't come too far off my self-made Mii except for the fact that it tends to make features very small (and they really need to be exaggerated to make good Miis).[/QUOTE]

I don't have any games yet either. I'm waiting for The Sims 3 to arrive. My arrival date is April 9. :cry: I've been playing face raiders too. The second time I played it, it told me I was a male. I had my hair pulled back. It told my guy friend with long hair that he was a girl. :lol:

[quote name='doodofdoods']Both. I like Game & Watch games, but only in short bursts. It's very casual gaming.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Face Raiders and the AR Shoot is good for a short lark, kind if like Angry Birds.

I am in no way shamed to say, Bust a Move is fun, the 3D, while gimmicky, is novel, and is work about $15 so if you have some credit, give it some consideration.

I don't think 3D really adds anything to Bust a Move, I leave it off. However, it is still one of the better versions of the game, and worth owning. Besides, every handheld needs a good puzzle game.

I was playing it at lunch, the music is still in my head. GET OUT OF MY HEAD CHARLES!

bread's done
Back