Nintendo 3DS - General Discussion Thread

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']"Limited" in Japan, only because they're trying to stop it from showing up in bargain bins and the like.[/QUOTE]

Then they should... you know... make good games. I know it's hard to comprehend.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']DOA Dimensions is out today. Anyone get it and care to share their impressions?[/QUOTE]-Gameplay feels spot-on with the home console DOA games. If you've played and liked one of those, you'll like the gameplay of DOA: Dimensions.

-The two online matches I've played were okay lag-wise.

-The DLC content didn't show up until I restarted my system.

-Graphically, the game is beautiful. I'd say about Original Xbox DOA games in quality. 3D looks better than what I was expecting after reading previews.

-There aren't enough costumes. Even with the wave of free DLC, it won't equal DOA: Ultimate's amount. Most characters have 3 plus any DLC. A handful of the more popular characters have 4 plus DLC. Ayane has 5 plus DLC.

-Figures are a great play incentive to keep playing the game. Unfortunately, the Showcase/Photo mode is almost completely broken due to having to move the 3DS to adjust the angle. Holding it steady and level would result in a crooked perspective and a slight, steady rotation.

-I think Chronicles/Story Mode should be interesting. At the very least, it's better than what most fighting games have for Story Modes/solo play.

-The DOA2: Ultimate cinematic fears soulless without "Dream On" by Aerosmith playing in the background.

Overall, I'm pretty pleased with it. I do have some issues with it(Tag Mode being 1P + CPU now is one of them), but nothing that's big enough to say "skip it". Easily one of the top 5 3DS games available.

[quote name='elessar123']Then they should... you know... make good games. I know it's hard to comprehend.[/QUOTE]

Well to be fair it is a good game, but its one that has already been done and that most people have already played. If you haven't played it yet and are too young to have played it back in the N64 days and if you are part of the Wii/DS generation then you can also download it on the VC as well. Its been released many times.

I had no idea that it was limited only for Japan, that doesn't surprise me because everything is limited there!

[quote name='SaraAB']Well to be fair it is a good game, but its one that has already been done and that most people have already played. If you haven't played it yet and are too young to have played it back in the N64 days and if you are part of the Wii/DS generation then you can also download it on the VC as well. Its been released many times.

I had no idea that it was limited only for Japan, that doesn't surprise me because everything is limited there![/QUOTE]

In this case, Nintendo's definition of limited just means a small initial run. Over the long run, it's not gonna be rare or hard to find at all. Their plans were to do more prints every few months.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']DOA Dimensions is out today. Anyone get it and care to share their impressions?[/QUOTE]

Just played it for about an hour, pretty easy to get into, first few fights are really easy. The graphics are awesome, the framerate is pretty good, though it's noticeably slower in 3d, but it doesn't lag by any means. The online is a different story, I had one fight online and it was pretty laggy, hopefully all my fights aren't like this. I highly recommend picking it up, especially since it's on sale for 30 at TRU.

It's after 4:30 in the morning and I'm still playing DOA: Dimensions. I've played it for almost 8 and a half hours. Already it's the game with the 3rd longest amount of time played on my 3DS and number one in average play time(per times played).

Its probably a little too soon to know but I would like to know what the holiday must have's are as well, as I won a contest for a prepaid gift card with enough money on it to buy pretty much whatever I want. The problem is I don't really need anything, as I have pretty much anything and everything electronic you could imagine. I am waiting for that one product that will really dazzle. 3DS doesn't look that good to me yet but it could win me over on black friday if the deals are good enough and there are 1-2 games that I want to play on it by then or coming out shortly after (If not it will be a black friday 2012 purchase for me). The good thing is its a visa gift card so I can purchase an amazon gift card with it and then just leave it in my account till I find something I want so that I don't get charged fees for not using the gift card after a year.

[quote name='danbgraso']Of all the Nintendo 3DS games out so far, which one is your favorite? Why did you buy Nintendo 3DS? Is the 3D impressive or not? Also, what else is going to be one of the top toys for Christmas 2011?[/QUOTE]
Viral market research?

:sees may 2011 join date:

hmmmm

I went ahead and purchased the CM4 3DS skin protector case, which snaps onto the system directly but doesn't add a lot of weight/thickness. They were supposed to be out last month, but got pushed back until yesterday morning. Ordered one within minutes of getting the e-mail. They sold out in 12 hours. Supposed to be here on Friday. Looking forward to it, considering I don't really use the cradle (which it won't work with).

Also Shinobi and Sonic Generations are confirmed in the latest NP. Shinobi is some sort of pseudo 3D-in-a-2D sidescroller setup. All I remember about Shinobi is the SMS version where I kept getting to this one boss I could never beat, which was a bunch of Buddha statues on top of each other. Shit was ridiculous.

There was something similar for the DSL that I got off Play-Asia. It was a a combo soft/solid silicon case that snapped to the system and provided a good amount of protection, but added little weight/girth. There was one for the DSi, but it was horribly designed, so I skipped it. Been looking for something similar for the 3DS, and CM4's previous efforts were praised, so I'll take the plunge.

It leaves the top completely uncovered though, and those hinges scratch easily especially in pockets. Idk, I think I'd want the entire thing wrapped if possible.

[quote name='Strell']I went ahead and purchased the CM4 3DS skin protector case, which snaps onto the system directly but doesn't add a lot of weight/thickness. They were supposed to be out last month, but got pushed back until yesterday morning. Ordered one within minutes of getting the e-mail. They sold out in 12 hours. Supposed to be here on Friday. Looking forward to it, considering I don't really use the cradle (which it won't work with).

Also Shinobi and Sonic Generations are confirmed in the latest NP. Shinobi is some sort of pseudo 3D-in-a-2D sidescroller setup. All I remember about Shinobi is the SMS version where I kept getting to this one boss I could never beat, which was a bunch of Buddha statues on top of each other. Shit was ridiculous.[/QUOTE]

Wonder if Shinobi is going to be like the old ones or the new one like on the PS2.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']DOA Dimensions is out today. Anyone get it and care to share their impressions?[/QUOTE]

So I've had this game for 3 days now. Pretty satisfied with what it's offering.

I haven't played DOA since DOA2 for Dreamcast so I am still trying to get used to its fighting style after many hours of SSFIV 3D. Sometimes my fingers got a mind of their own and go SSFIV. Oh, did I get my ass whupped many times online...not easy to make right counters lightning-quickly given my age. :) And yes, like others said, online gaming is a bit laggy. SSFIV gets you set up faster.

I remember many of its characters and thought the Chronicle mode was pretty neat except for still shots peppered throughout the story. I suspect Tecmo had to make some sacrfices due to catridge limits. Only a minor gripe. What's pretty cool is that it offers subtitles in several languages (Japanese, English, German, Italian, etc) so it's neat to see what Kokoro says in German or Tina in Spanish.

It's nice to get daily costume downloads (got all 3 to date and more to come). One said this game doesn't have enough of a wardrobe but I think Tecmo might give us even more costumes in the future (beyond the initial offering of 30-ish costume downloads).

I'm having a tough time getting through any of the last 5 missions (16-20) in Tag Challenge...and do wish it lets me control my other tag team partner b/c the CPU ain't doing a good job for me...

Enough said for now other than saying this game is highly recommended despite its few minor issues.

Hmm... Well, I'm glad to see the gameplay is 2D. I'm potentially interested. I hope it plays as well as Revenge of Shinobi (IMO the only really great game in the series)...but the graphics look horrible.

I wish they'd gone with 2D instead of trying to do 3D with it.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Hmm... Well, I'm glad to see the gameplay is 2D. I'm potentially interested. I hope it plays as well as Revenge of Shinobi (IMO the only really great game in the series)...but the graphics look horrible.

I wish they'd gone with 2D instead of trying to do 3D with it.[/QUOTE]

Hopefully the graphics will improve when its released . . . they don't look too great right now. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='chimpmeister']Um, its the 3DS . . . you know they're going to shoehorn the lame 3D effect into the game regardless. So no way you would see it in 2D.[/QUOTE]

You really don't understand how the system works, do you?

[quote name='Strell']You really don't understand how the system works, do you?[/QUOTE]

Sure I do. They design games for a 3D effect, but you can turn off that effect if you don't like it/get nauseated by it. But if they design a game for the 3DS, it generally isn't going to look great as a straight 2D game. They have to do SOMETHING to make the 3D effects stand out, regardless of whether you as a user turn OFF the 3D or not. So I doubt you'll see classic great looking 2D sidescrollers on the 3DS because of this. The Genesis version of Revenge of Shinobi looks better than this upcoming 3DS version.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='chimpmeister']But if they design a game for the 3DS, it generally isn't going to look great as a straight 2D game. [/QUOTE]

You could have just written "no I don't."

[quote name='chimpmeister']Or, you could have skipped a pointless question. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Nintendo gave the developers the option of using the 3D effect or not.

[quote name='catabarez']Nintendo gave the developers the option of using the 3D effect or not.[/QUOTE]

That and the fact that 2D games are more than capable of playing in 3D.

How is the 3D in DOA? I think I am gonna buy that to give my 3DS some loving today (because I am curious how fighters work on the system, and that my one friend has it so we can play online). I would buy SSFIV or Blaz Blue but I already own them on PS3 so not going to rebuy them.

I've really been enjoying DOA, probably more so than SSFIV. In terms of the 3D effect, I think it's actually the best use of 3D of the five games I have so far (SSFIV, Ghost Recon, Pilotwings, Ridge Racer, DOA). Haven't noticed any difference in play speed between 3D on or off, but I really don't play at a level where I'd notice too much anyway. The very few online matches I've played were slightly laggy, but not to any level that I feel hampered the gameplay whatsoever.

Honestly, if you've ever played and liked a DOA game before, get Dimensions. It's really that simple.

Find Me gets crazy tough late in the game. I'm at a room called Mirage something, I believe. There's an armored guy which can only be damaged by level 2 warriors. There's also a ghost with a light blue shield. This will take a while. :whistle2:(

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']How is the 3D in DOA? I think I am gonna buy that to give my 3DS some loving today (because I am curious how fighters work on the system, and that my one friend has it so we can play online). I would buy SSFIV or Blaz Blue but I already own them on PS3 so not going to rebuy them.[/QUOTE]

Framerate definitely suffers a little bit, so I turn it off during online matches. The game looks beautiful and the controls are spot on.

I've really gotten used to how DS games look on the 3DS. I don't mind the black border on the upper screen anymore. The only game I thought didn't look so hot initially was Pokemon Black. It just seemed somewhat dull or fuzzy at first. Maybe now, with as much time has gone by, the image quality of that particular title wouldn't seem so poor to me.

[quote name='danbgraso']Of all the Nintendo 3DS games out so far, which one is your favorite? Why did you buy Nintendo 3DS? Is the 3D impressive or not? Also, what else is going to be one of the top toys for Christmas 2011?[/QUOTE]

I only have one game. Pilotwings. It's fun. I am kind of bored with it already though. I love the 3DS. I am impressed by the 3D. I like that it doesn't bother my eyes or give me a headache. I just wish I had something else to play on it already! :cry:I'm looking forward to the e-shop and Zelda.

[quote name='utopianmachine']Find Me gets crazy tough late in the game. I'm at a room called Mirage something, I believe. There's an armored guy which can only be damaged by level 2 warriors. There's also a ghost with a light blue shield. This will take a while. :whistle2:([/QUOTE]

I already finished Find Mii twice... and have like 40 Mii's into a third run. Living in NYC equals a ton of streetpasses :bouncy:

[quote name='utopianmachine']I've really gotten used to how DS games look on the 3DS. I don't mind the black border on the upper screen anymore. The only game I thought didn't look so hot initially was Pokemon Black. It just seemed somewhat dull or fuzzy at first. Maybe now, with as much time has gone by, the image quality of that particular title wouldn't seem so poor to me.[/QUOTE]

Opposite for me.
Tried to give it a good chance but went back to playing Radiant Historia on my DSi.
I'm not even sure I'm going to transfer my DSiWare now.

[quote name='Mad D']Look at the developer they have making Shinobi 3DS. They've only made a bunch of ports of movie/licensed games.[/quote]

Thanks for uncovering that! That actually makes me feel a bit better. I knew the name sounded familiar, and they did Assassin's Creed: Bloodlines, which was pretty good (and the only *real* last gen Assassin's Creed....kind of remarkable).

Hmm...The Urbz was okay.

Yeah, they're a pretty solid developer. I bet they could do a great original game too if given the chance, but I think generally their stuff is real games...you know, they're stuck doing licensed stuff in probably too-short a time, but they're of the calibur that they actually turn out real games in those contraints. I've got a lot of respect for little developers like that, because it's kind of thankless and I bet the pressure's crazy.

Wayforward's another one in that category. Geez..can't remember who did the PSP original Ben 10 game, but they deserve props too.

[quote name='dallow']Opposite for me.
Tried to give it a good chance but went back to playing Radiant Historia on my DSi.
I'm not even sure I'm going to transfer my DSiWare now.[/QUOTE]

I'm trying to break away from my DSi. Once I can transfer DSiWare, I'll likely get rid of it. I just don't want to be going between two systems all the time.

[quote name='utopianmachine']I'm trying to break away from my DSi. Once I can transfer DSiWare, I'll likely get rid of it. I just don't want to be going between two systems all the time.[/QUOTE]

I'm the opposite for the time being as I don't want to wear out my 3DS too soon. :D

And a few more observations after playing DOA Dimensions online some more. I do notice how much smoother those online matches are with 3D turned off. And how disappointing it is to see so many opponents use touch-screen combos. Surprised I can't disable those shortcuts as an option like I can in SSFIV (Pro vs Lite) I think that's a big oversight on Tecmo's part....what a shame.

Bought Dead Or Alive Yesterday. Best 3DS game yet.

I feel like DOA is the type of game that works perfect on the 3DS. One button for kick, guard, throw and block. Plus it doesn't have crazy moves like a SF or Blaz Blue what would me more geared towards a Stick or Pad. The 3D effect is not over the top but just enough to add to the game. Not to mention the fuckton of unlockables.

Although playing it, I can clearly see that Tecmo surly has a fetish with 3D boobs :lol:.

[quote name='utopianmachine']I'm...I'm playing Fossil Fighters. It's not 3D. I don't fit in. I should be battling with jiggly boobs apparently.[/QUOTE]

Fight, fight, fight....what next 3DS game do I buy? BlazBlue....another fighting game...out on the 31st...fight, fight, fight...ohhh, it's getting tedious here...

I wanted to get LEGO Pirates 3DS but from what I've read, it got trimmed down...so no thanks. Looks like Zelda would be my first 3DS game outside the fighting genre....oh, wait...maybe something via the eShop before that...we'll see.

Blah, blah, blah....have a good Memorial Day, everyone!

[quote name='Batcave Dweller']I wanted to get LEGO Pirates 3DS but from what I've read, it got trimmed down...so no thanks. Looks like Zelda would be my first 3DS game outside the fighting genre....oh, wait...maybe something via the eShop before that...we'll see.[/QUOTE]

I'm really hoping the eShop launches with some cool stuff to buy. I'd get Link to the Past in a heartbeat.

bread's done
Back