Nintendo 3DS - General Discussion Thread

[quote name='KillerRamen']My local Best Buy had them out on display today, but they wouldn't sell one to me. :cry:[/QUOTE]

The boxes, or just a system on display, like a display unit?

Boo, I was hopeing they had demo units. Why are there no demo units in the US (yet?)? I really want to see the 3D effect for myself (as most things I read say it's better or the same, but some people complain it's less)

It really sucks that Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon got pushed back to next year. However, I'm happy we got release dates for Paper Mario (11/11) and Professor Layton (10/28).

[quote name='Mixer236']You sure they weren't just screwing with you?[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure. They had the UPC, they were in the locked box with all of the other systems and there was no indication that they weren't anything other than the actual console. The system wouldn't let them sell it, so the cashier called the manager came over, she looked it up in their system and said that they couldn't sell it until the 19th.

[quote name='KillerRamen']I'm pretty sure. They had the UPC, they were in the locked box with all of the other systems and there was no indication that they weren't anything other than the actual console. The system wouldn't let them sell it, so the cashier called the manager came over, she looked it up in their system and said that they couldn't sell it until the 19th.[/QUOTE]

That's too bad, I remember back in '08 I got the Metal Gear Solid 4 PS3 bundle about 2 weeks early from Wal-mart. I felt special. :lol:

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Holy crap, they're making a Crosswords sequel for the eShop:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_jh9GSIRWE

1,000 crossword puzzles, more from StreetPass and SpotPass, and Wordsearch/Anagram/Word of the Day puzzles.[/QUOTE]

guessing this wont be out till NOV 2012 or later?

too bad i heard fire emblem got pushed back till summer 2013 and probally never see the light of day

is there a link where you can see what games are coming out on the Eshop all i know is

http://www.nintendo.com/games/gameGuide?download=dsiware

Interesting to see both Luigi's Mansion 2 and Castlevania LOS:MOF got delays. I really wasn't expecting LM to get delayed. But for Castlevania...probably a good decision.

I'm more concerned about how a Luigi's Mansion delay will affect the release of Fire Emblem. I doubt they'll release both in the first quarter of 2013.

Like someone else said... I'm sad that Luigi's Mansion got pushed, but getting firm dates for Paper Mario and Professor Layton went pretty far in making up for it.

Anyway, I'd guess that Luigi's Mansion won't mean much of anything to Fire Emblem's release. Honestly, Fire Emblem is a pretty niche series, so there's no reason to avoid releasing anything else around it. Unless they have a huge marketing push planned, of course, but I'd wager that's not the case.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Cave Story is on the list for eShop, as well. Not sure if it's an upgraded version of the original or the 3D version coming to the eShop.[/QUOTE]

I thought I remembered reading a while ago that they were bringing the original, unaltered version of the game to the eShop.

[quote name='KingBroly']Interesting to see both Luigi's Mansion 2 and Castlevania LOS:MOF got delays. I really wasn't expecting LM to get delayed. But for Castlevania...probably a good decision.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't worry about it yet. It sounds like Nintendo wants to push the Wii U, so it makes sense.

Style Savvy: Trendsetters (Oct. 22) – Players can run their very own full-scale fashion shop and spark a fashion revolution by helping customers keep up with current trends, buying new clothes for their customizable store and sharing their creations with their friends online.

sort of shocked they made another how badly the first one sold .

must of got a reprint as well or something cause last year that game was worth 40+ not anymore

[quote name='RedvsBlue']I thought I remembered reading a while ago that they were bringing the original, unaltered version of the game to the eShop.[/QUOTE]

It's an updated version just made for the e-shop - with leaderboards and other whatnots that apparently haven't been announced yet.

And I'm fine with LM getting delayed. I just got the the first one, and if I don't play that first, the story will be completely lost to me when I get the sequel.

LM delay just means more time for the XL circle pad plus XL or whatever they'll call it to come out (as I assume it supports/would benefit from it).

Really loving this dispersion of great games though. Finally a time where every big/anticipated/AAA game isn't releasing all at the same time.

The one thing I find odd in all of this is that Nintendo of America had a Press Release for their upcoming quarter. That's something they haven't done in a very, very long time. I guess they finally found some normalcy at Public Relations.

[quote name='KingBroly']The one thing I find odd in all of this is that Nintendo of America had a Press Release for their upcoming quarter. That's something they haven't done in a very, very long time. I guess they finally found some normalcy at Public Relations.[/QUOTE]

LOL
What with that and supporting the e store! I think they are finally getting with the times ;-)

The 3DS XL has a better battery, right? Does that mean the Nyko Battery Extender thing I got from Best Buy for my 3DS wouldn't work on the XL?

[quote name='Scorch']The 3DS XL has a better battery, right? Does that mean the Nyko Battery Extender thing I got from Best Buy for my 3DS wouldn't work on the XL?[/QUOTE]

Yes and yes.

[quote name='Scorch']The 3DS XL has a better battery, right? Does that mean the Nyko Battery Extender thing I got from Best Buy for my 3DS wouldn't work on the XL?[/QUOTE]

I haven't used mine enough to get a feel for how much longer the battery will last but Nintendo is saying that we'll get more life out of it. I don't see how the Nyko Extender would fit on the bottom of the XL.

I can't wait for Paper Mario Sticker Star! Day 1 and I don't even have my own 3DS (the kids will be getting less play time on theirs. LOL!)

anyone know if the skylanders portal works on the new 3DS XL??? any trick to getting them to sync up? cant seem to get it working

This is a stupid question but how do I backup my games and save files? I'm gonna upgrade to a 3DS XL and I've read u should backup all your stuff before transferring and I'm not entirely sure how to do it. Your help is greatly appreciated :)

The system does it all for you. It's pretty straightforward. The only thing they aren't clear on, is that after the transfer is finished, you can copy the contents of the 2gb card to the 4gb on your computer so that you won't miss out on the bigger card that comes with the XL

Put Hori screen protectors on my XL. They seem just as good as the previous in the line. Can't even tell they are there while playing, and screen sensitivity seems to be the same (tested with KI:U). Preordered the Hori XL hard case.

Yay for Paper Mario coming out this year. Shame Castlevania got delayed, but I rather them take the extra time to make it better than put out a bad product.

Wherefore art thou Animal Crossing???

[quote name='madcyantist']Couldn't find the appropriate thread but wondering if the following product is recommended by my fellow CAGs?

http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-3DS-Hand-Grip/dp/B004MKN3YE[/QUOTE]

I haven't tried this grip myself, but I do know that there are several people on NeoGAF who report a lot of positive things about such grips. I want to say this one was included in the list, but I'm not 100% certain. I do know that the Hori "Steering Wheel" grip tends to get a lot of praise for comfort (and some knocks for being kind of awkward since it is steering wheel shaped). At any rate, you could try lurking around NeoGAF to see if you can find the thread about it; I'm sure a Google search would be able to bring it up. Here, I found some for you: thread 1, thread 2.

A lot of us are looking forward to Nyko's Circle Pad Pro, which was announced at E3. It improves grip, adds a second pad, and will increase battery life. It's also pretty damn sexy. I asked Nyko about it directly a few months ago and they said it will be matte, so fingerprints won't be an issue. It looks like a fantastic product and I can't wait to get one. Sadly it won't be here for another two months.

Hope this helps!

So much happier with the XL than the plain ads. It was at a point I was almost afraid to play my 3ds with the loss hinge and everything. I just felt so badly put together.

The XL seems like a great piece of hardware. My eyes actually adjust to the 3D better on the excel as well for some reason.

Now to go out and pick up some of the games that I had put off due to not liking the previous model.

Finally finished Shinobi 3DS. Only on beginner of course... you really need unlimited lives for the first play through. The maze level wasn't as bad as I had heard. Figured out what to do after a few minutes (again, unlimited lives is a must to figure out these levels). The last level and boss are brutal. Overall I enjoyed the game. The story is incomprehensible, but the controls are tight and the combat solid. Worth a buy if you can find for

So, obviously we are all in this thread for a reason! I was a day 1 buyer of the 3ds, and got the 3ds XL on its 3rd day of availability.

For ANYONE on the fence - this is an incredible piece of machinery. I also own a PS vita (which, I ALSO love) and split my gaming about 50/50 on the portable consoles... with always a little resentment for the small screened 3ds. I can honestly say now, that this is exactly how the system should of came. I have played a lot of the games I had already beat, and the bigger screen is making me fall in love with the older games I had (3ds) all over again.

Congrats nintendo - aside from me being not able to use my old circle pad pro - I can say with confidence, you guys hit one out of the park with this one. Cant wait to find NSMB2 cheap.

I'd almost guarantee we'll get a new XL color by the holidays, but I'm torn on any kind of bundle. Ultimately, the two big Nintendo releases this fall are Paper Mario and Professor Layton, which don't seem like 'bundle' games, so I'd guess something older...

It wouldn't shock me, really, to a get a New Super Mario Bros. 2 bundle with a gold 3DSXL. I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

[quote name='dallow']I want the XL so bad.

Holding out for a special color or bundle for Black Friday or Christmas.
If not I'll buy blue.[/QUOTE]

This pretty much. Hope they put out a nice special edition this year (though they'll have to put a good amount of effort to top last years Zelda 3DS). I was a bit on the fence about buying one since everyone was assuming they would release a version with the 2nd circle pad built in, but it doesn't look like thats coming anytime soon, if at all.

[quote name='007']I'd almost guarantee we'll get a new XL color by the holidays, but I'm torn on any kind of bundle. Ultimately, the two big Nintendo releases this fall are Paper Mario and Professor Layton, which don't seem like 'bundle' games, so I'd guess something older...

It wouldn't shock me, really, to a get a New Super Mario Bros. 2 bundle with a gold 3DSXL. I'd buy that in a heartbeat.[/QUOTE]
Gold? With the type of paint they're using on current XL's?
:salivates:

Hopefully someone can answer this for me.

I recently bought a 3DS XL. My little sister has an Ambassador 3DS. She has no appreciation for the Ambassador games or Four Swords, and we made a deal ($) that I would do a system transfer from hers to mine.

The only thing she cares about are the pictures she has taken with her 3DS. I know everything will be moved to the XL and hers will be reset back to factory settings. My question is this: After the transfer, can I just copy the photos back over to her SD card so that she will have them back on her 3DS?

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Hopefully someone can answer this for me.

I recently bought a 3DS XL. My little sister has an Ambassador 3DS. She has no appreciation for the Ambassador games or Four Swords, and we made a deal ($) that I would do a system transfer from hers to mine.

The only thing she cares about are the pictures she has taken with her 3DS. I know everything will be moved to the XL and hers will be reset back to factory settings. My question is this: After the transfer, can I just copy the photos back over to her SD card so that she will have them back on her 3DS?[/QUOTE]

Yes,

You will presumably copy her SD card contents to a computer and then to your SD card, just dont copy the pictures folder and dont delete it when you delete the old content.

bread's done
Back