Nintendo 3DS - General Discussion Thread

Finished NSMB2, and it was a lot of fun. Not as good as 3D Land, but still a solid Mario romp.

Just started replaying Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow on the 3DS XL and am greatly enjoying the bigger screens. The 3DS Castlevania coming out next year is supposed to appeal to Metroidvania fans... according to the devs at least.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']That's still the dumbest name for a Castlevania game yet, which is really saying something.[/QUOTE]

The first thing I thought of was the old Castlevania greatest hits box in the Xzibit vein. Something about the franchise methinks.

I am halfway done with beating super mario land 3d and I am having a blast! Has anypony here ever played the DS Snowboard Kids game? I recently picked up the first game on N64 and was wondering how the anime ds game is?

After picking up the 3DS and playing with it for the past couple of weeks I find the console pleasantly enjoyable.

I played through and beat Super Mario Land (still have to collect all the hidden star coins and finish the last world), played through a few hours of Mario Kart, and powered through LOZ: OoT (currently at the shadow temple). These 3 games alone have been a blast to play.

Still have to try out and play through Kingdom Hearts and Tales of the Abyss and I can't wait for Animal Crossing next year.

Even after I finish my current games I can still pick up Kid Icarus, Resident Evil, NSMB2, and Star Fox. Eventually I can add Paper Mario and Luigi's Mansion 2 to that list as well. I'm actually suprised that the system has a lot of games that interest me which is a huge improvement coming from the Vita.

Also picked up an XL and the games really do pop out and feel like a console experience with the larger screen. I can play the XL comfortably farther away from my face, and the matte border around the screens is a great touch as it prevents sun glare. I love the improved feel of the start/home buttons as well. The two things that I like more about the original 3DS hovever is the charging dock (genius idea from Nintendo, so simple to just drop in the console to charge) and the speakers on the original are a tad louder than the XL. Overall, for me the XL is a better experience and I'm glad I got one.

[quote name='antlp89']huge improvement coming from the Vita.[/QUOTE]
Couldn't agree more. Vita is a fantastic piece of hardware, but the game selection is abysmal. Even though it had one of the worst launch lineups I've seen in years, I expected there to be a steady flow of awesome games because everyone seemed so excited about it, but it already feels like it's almost as dead as the PSP. Getting it is one of my biggest regrets of the year. I mean, I was going to eventually get it no matter what, but I wish I would've saved my GameStop credits to get a Wii U instead.

3DS, however, is a different story. I got it Day 1 and even with the price drop and the release of the XL, I'm still very pleased with my purchase. Sure, I wish I would've waited for the price drop, but I still feel like it's worth what I paid.

[quote name='antlp89']
Still have to try out and play through Kingdom Hearts and Tales of the Abyss...
[/QUOTE]

I just picked up Tales of the Abyss on Sunday and I'm enjoying it (Mieu is so adorable). The gameplay reminds me of Final Fantasy 12, which I also enjoyed.

[quote name='popular penguin']I just picked up Tales of the Abyss on Sunday and I'm enjoying it (Mieu is so adorable). The gameplay reminds me of Final Fantasy 12, which I also enjoyed.[/QUOTE]

I put a few hours into it and I am really enjoying it as well. I like how they included all the voice acting dialogue from the PS2 version. The battle system feels almost identical to Tales of Symphonia (one of my favorite games on the Gamecube) and yeah Mieu is freaking hilarious. I really didn't care for Luke at first but he is starting to grow on me. Great game so far.

So I'm thinking of getting my daughter a 3ds. She's had her dslite for almost 4 years now, so it's time for an upgrade. Any word on Nintendo stopping production of the original 3DS models? I don't like the look and feel of the XLs and I know she would prefer the purple model anyway.

[quote name='yourlefthand']So I'm thinking of getting my daughter a 3ds. She's had her dslite for almost 4 years now, so it's time for an upgrade. Any word on Nintendo stopping production of the original 3DS models? I don't like the look and feel of the XLs and I know she would prefer the purple model anyway.[/QUOTE]

I doubt they will stop selling the smaller model. Not everybody wants a jumbo-sized portable.

Nintendo announced on a Nintendo Direct Mini last night that they're going to bring older games to the eShop in Japan. I imagine Europe and North America will follow suit but I doubt a ND is necessary.

The games are:
- Super Mario 3D Land
- Mario Kart 7
- Mario Tennis Open
- Mario and Sonic at the 2012 Olympic Games
- The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
- Star Fox 64 3D
- Pilotwings Resort
- The 3D Encyclopedia of Flora an Fauna

All of these will be full price except for the last one. If they release Pilotwings Resort at full price here, Nintendo is incredibly stupid. Then again they're releasing it at full price to begin with.

It makes me a bit wary of Nintendo's eShop plans though, considering that if one were going to go digital for their games, you'd lose all of your save file progress since it's on the Game Cart.

All 3 of the new 3DS bundles announced for Japan look amazing. I think I'm finally FINALLY going to bite on a pure black Monster Hunter bundle...around the new year anyways...

[quote name='cochesecochese']All 3 of the new 3DS bundles announced for Japan look amazing. I think I'm finally FINALLY going to bite on a pure black Monster Hunter bundle...around the new year anyways...[/QUOTE]

Too bad they're region locked, else I'd get a Japanese one.

[quote name='KingBroly']
It makes me a bit wary of Nintendo's eShop plans though, considering that if one were going to go digital for their games, you'd lose all of your save file progress since it's on the Game Cart.[/QUOTE]

http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=186977

Over in Japan, Nintendo is in the process of moving over their retail games to the eShop. That means titles you own in physical form will soon be purchasable on the eShop. What happens if you want to grab a digital version, but you don't want to lose your save? Don't worry, there's an app for that.

Nintendo has confirmed that they have a tool in the works that will take care of this file transfer. You can move your physical game save over to your digital title. This feature will be available in the Spring for Japan.

Hopefully this means cloud support is en route at some point as well.

I only say this because it means there are options being made available to move save game files around. So I don't really think cloud support is in the cards, but rather that the possibility now is. The Wii had a lot of game saves that couldn't be moved around for stupid reasons, so I'm hoping this is getting relaxed.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='elessar123']Too bad they're region locked, else I'd get a Japanese one.[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah? Well too bad your face is region locked. BOOM.

Just kidding. It really is depressing how amazing NCL is compared to NOA. Poor selection of the lineup, poor selection of colors, poor PR. I swear if NOA just released an identical lineup to NCL, they would be loved twice as much.

Region locking just seems like an outmoded idea. I know the conversation comes up a lot when it comes to games, but we're essentially in a global community environment with the advent of the internet, and thus I still fail to see the reasoning behind it. My understanding is that there's legal ramifications that have to be met, and that it's just easier/less costly to avoid these by still having region locking, but it just seems like such a relic of the industry.

[quote name='Strell']Region locking just seems like an outmoded idea. I know the conversation comes up a lot when it comes to games, but we're essentially in a global community environment with the advent of the internet, and thus I still fail to see the reasoning behind it. My understanding is that there's legal ramifications that have to be met, and that it's just easier/less costly to avoid these by still having region locking, but it just seems like such a relic of the industry.[/QUOTE]

I would probably be more likely to purchase a console knowing that i had the option to purchase an original Japanese game and play it on my console should there be no North American releases that I like, especially since games take a long time to come out in the USA. I did that with the original DS and I was playing ouendan when everyone else was playing well.... meteos or some other game. This would give me a sort of "safety hold" in that if no games were coming out for a whole year in the USA that I wanted to play, at least I know I could go and purchase a Japanese game to tide me over until the releases started to come.

It would especially give me an incentive to purchase a console earlier rather than wait for the price drop because by the time the price drop and redesign happens the games I actually want to play have finally come out and I know because this happens with like almost every system out there, so by now I am playing the waiting game and not buying any hardware until the price drop and revision happens because the games I want to play will most likely not be out until then.

There are Japanese games I would like to purchase on the Wii, but I would have to go through a whole lot of trouble to play them, and given the amount of games and systems I have it is just not worth it, my friend makes frequent trips to Japan, so getting a legitimate copy of any game is not an issue for me, therefore even if I don't take advantage of the option, I would like to have the option to play a Japanese game should I find one I want to play that is not going to be released in the USA.

[quote name='Strell']http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=186977

Hopefully this means cloud support is en route at some point as well.

I only say this because it means there are options being made available to move save game files around. So I don't really think cloud support is in the cards, but rather that the possibility now is. The Wii had a lot of game saves that couldn't be moved around for stupid reasons, so I'm hoping this is getting relaxed.[/QUOTE]

I really hope it's not just a transfer option, but the ability to back up your saves. I hate that if I lose a game, sell a game, etc. my saves are locked to the cartridge, and if I get another copy I have to start over. Every other platform has a means to preserve your save games either through network storage or directly on physical media. If Nintendo provides the means to back up saves and make them portable, even if it's just on your own system, I'll be one happy customer.

That's a very good point and I 100% agree that it should be a "copy the save and move the copy to the digital format," but knowing Nintendo, I'm doubting this will be the case.

I completely agree. The way Sony handles digital content (sharable across multiple consoles at no extra cost, retrievable at any time via internet connection) is light years ahead of how Nintendo currently restricts content.

I'm hoping the 3DS and WiiU will change this but we all know how Nintendo operates :(.

[quote name='Strell']Region locking just seems like an outmoded idea. I know the conversation comes up a lot when it comes to games, but we're essentially in a global community environment with the advent of the internet, and thus I still fail to see the reasoning behind it. My understanding is that there's legal ramifications that have to be met, and that it's just easier/less costly to avoid these by still having region locking, but it just seems like such a relic of the industry.[/QUOTE]

Well, they probably saw what happened with anime and reverse importation. I hate it myself, but I do understand a little bit about the backwards Japanese ways.

[quote name='johnnypark']I really hope it's not just a transfer option, but the ability to back up your saves. I hate that if I lose a game, sell a game, etc. my saves are locked to the cartridge, and if I get another copy I have to start over. Every other platform has a means to preserve your save games either through network storage or directly on physical media. If Nintendo provides the means to back up saves and make them portable, even if it's just on your own system, I'll be one happy customer.[/QUOTE]
I don't know if anything works for 3DS games, but there is hardware available that can backup DS saves (I use an Action Replay). It sucks having to get third-party stuff just for this, but at least most of it is affordable.

[quote name='johnnypark']Oh man, Crashmo looks infuriatingly fun.[/QUOTE]
Seriously. Looks like a ton of fun but you can just tell it's going to get way harder toward the end. I'd still kinda like to see them use the concept for a platformer.

[quote name='dallow']Still waiting for Picross e.....[/QUOTE]
And the sequel.

I was surprised to see that Crosswords Plus is $29.99 in the eShop. I had no clue that it was also a retail release, but that's still $10 more than the original on DS for the same basic game.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I was surprised to see that Crosswords Plus is $29.99 in the eShop. I had no clue that it was also a retail release, but that's still $10 more than the original on DS for the same basic game.[/QUOTE]
But...but...3D!

[quote name='integralsmatic']got my copy of Code of Princess today from Amazon. Pretty dam fun action RPG and it def is a great follow up to Guardian Heroes.[/QUOTE]
Mine should come tomorrow but I probably won't have time to play it until Thur., if then.

[quote name='ZombieToast']But...but...3D![/QUOTE]
I'd at least be interested in seeing how they use that in the book view when you're focusing on the bottom screen most of the time.

I just picked up the Blue 3DSXL. The Gamestop double value trade in was too hard to pass up. The store was even generous enough to let me do the system transfer in store after the transaction.

I'm loving this thing. This is what the 3DS should have been!

[quote name='Goodeye']I just picked up the Blue 3DSXL. The Gamestop double value trade in was too hard to pass up. The store was even generous enough to let me do the system transfer in store after the transaction.

I'm loving this thing. This is what the 3DS should have been![/QUOTE]

That's the least they could do!

...but good to know that system transfer is doable at the store. I guess i'm going tomorrow.

When did they get rid of the 100 Play coin limit? I was surprised to see that I didn't hit the wall today, but I could've sworn that I've hit that limit recently.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']When did they get rid of the 100 Play coin limit? I was surprised to see that I didn't hit the wall today, but I could've sworn that I've hit that limit recently.[/QUOTE]

Do you mean the coins you get from walking around and can use in for the puzzle pieces and Find Mii games? If so, as far as I know the limit has been (and continues to be) 300 coins.

If that's true, then I'm not sure why I've never gone over 100 coins before today.

This fire room in Find Mii 2 is such bullshit. "Spend all of your coins on a group of fighters and watch them all be sent away without doing anything!"

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']If that's true, then I'm not sure why I've never gone over 100 coins before today.

This fire room in Find Mii 2 is such bullshit. "Spend all of your coins on a group of fighters and watch them all be sent away without doing anything!"[/QUOTE]

I usually save up the coins until I get near 300 and then use a bunch of them at once on Find Mii. Hire 10 heroes (20+ coins), use the first to get the level boost potion (+20 coins), maybe a Recall Heroes potion if I just used some higher-level heroes (+8 coins) and it's pretty easy to go through quite a few coins very quickly.

Actually, I think Find Mii II is far worse than the original Find Mii when it comes to running into special rooms that require heroes with specific colors. Some rooms require two heroes of the same color while other rooms require a specific pair of different colors. At least once you know which colors you need you can hire old heroes of the right colors before going back to the same room again, but it really sucks when you have a full crew of 10 only to have them all sent home because none of them are the right colors.

As stated above, the limit has always been 300 coins. And as for troublesome rooms, it really helps to hire old allies that you've used before. Reggie and Scott Moffitt have helped immensely.

My only old heroes are Steve Moffitt and TargetGuy (from the 3DS kiosk at Target), so I have to rely on mostly hiring random lvl 1s and 2s for that stuff.

Edit: Just to reiterate this, I've never StreetPassed with a single living person around here, so suggesting old heroes to solve everything is not helping at all.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']My only old heroes are Steve Moffitt and TargetGuy (from the 3DS kiosk at Target), so I have to rely on mostly hiring random lvl 1s and 2s for that stuff.

Edit: Just to reiterate this, I've never StreetPassed with a single living person around here, so suggesting old heroes to solve everything is not helping at all.[/QUOTE]

If you can't make it to a Comic Con or some anime event, then you best bet for getting street pass tags is to stop by GameStops or other places with your 3DS on the off chance you'll get a tag. Once you have one, you can use them in the future. It also doesn't hurt to carry your 3DS around malls and other shopping centers where kids getting dragged around by their parents may be carrying their 3DS. It takes an effort, but if you just carry the 3DS around with you for a while, you'll be surprised at the random tags you get. You don't need hundreds, but a dozen or two can be really helpful when building your Hero team.

Of course, I have around 300, but 98% of those came from 2 Comic Cons.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']My only old heroes are Steve Moffitt and TargetGuy (from the 3DS kiosk at Target), so I have to rely on mostly hiring random lvl 1s and 2s for that stuff.

Edit: Just to reiterate this, I've never StreetPassed with a single living person around here, so suggesting old heroes to solve everything is not helping at all.[/QUOTE]
Even so, heroes like Reggie and Scott that Nintendo has sent out to people through SpotPass are quite helpful. It's unfortunate you don't have Reggie, but just like him, Scott is level 7 which is fairly powerful, especially when paired up with another hero (even a wandering one). And since you know that you have a Target with a StreetPass-enabled 3DS, I would suggest going back there periodically because repeat meetings will cause him to level up.

If you can gradually add more StreetPass heroes, it will help a great deal because then you'll be able to hand-pick someone of a specific color if necessary. I know it can be a pain to meet anyone through StreetPass—it's rare for me to meet anyone in my town with a 3DS—but they eventually add up.

bread's done
Back