Nintendo 3DS Price Drop Hits on August 9th at Walmart

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[IMG-R=5838]24198[/IMG-R]According to a trusted source, Walmart will be dropping the price of the Nintendo 3DS on August 9th, 3 days before the official drop takes effect. This means savvy shoppers will be able to get the new low price and the 20 free downloadable games available as a reward to early adopters of the 3DS. Just connect to the Nintendo eShop at least once before 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on Aug. 11 to qualify for the free games.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='eliter1']Other than Mario vs DK and Tetris is there any games that should buy in the eShop? Has anyone tried the new golf game that just came out?[/QUOTE]

Mixed reviews on the golf game. IGN gave it a 9, while NintendoLife gave it a 6. Personally, I was discouraged by the framerate issues in the trailer.

I'd recommend the DK Gameboy VC. Amazing game.

[quote name='eliter1']yes, no one i know has a 3ds yet. I have my fc in my sig, if anyone else wants to add me send me a pm with your fc.

Other than mario vs dk and tetris is there any games that should buy in the eshop? Has anyone tried the new golf game that just came out?[/quote]

2793-0763-2634

[quote name='eliter1']Yes, no one I know has a 3DS yet. I have my FC in my sig, if anyone else wants to add me send me a PM with your FC.

Other than Mario vs DK and Tetris is there any games that should buy in the eShop? Has anyone tried the new golf game that just came out?[/QUOTE]
I've been playing the golf game and I like it. It's pretty full featured for a downloadable game.

The biggest downsides are the frequent loading screens and the occasional freezes that can sometimes make you swing too hard.

Some people are saying the 3D is awful, but I think it's pretty good for what it is. Overall I'm glad I bought it. I just wish it had an online mode.

[quote name='whatsinaname']PES was a part of Amazon's buy one get one free offer recently. They might bring that around again.[/QUOTE]

That page is still up, but it no longer works. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='DoubleJG']How long did it take for you all to receive your ambassador email confirmation?[/QUOTE]

The email, as well as the video on it, seems to be Europe-only.

[quote name='david12795']ahh missed out on this because i am currently on vacation :(

guess ill have to wait for some other deals[/QUOTE]

Are you the latest firmware update? Meaning, did you at least have the eShop as an icon but never visited it? If so, then you are covered.

[quote name='sadboy']What do you think about using the screen protector for just the top screen?[/QUOTE]

I don't really see the point of the screen protector for the top screen. You don't really have any need to touch it, so it shouldnt get scratched. I realize on some the lower screen rim touches the top screen and leaves a mark, but it wipes away - not permanent damage.

My hope was to have one on the bottom only, but it reduces sensitivity, so I removed it. I guess it may not be a big deal for other people but I spend a lot more time with capacitive screens than my ds so I have a hard time remember to press down firmly with the screen protector on there..

[quote name='tranceFusion']I don't really see the point of the screen protector for the top screen. You don't really have any need to touch it, so it shouldnt get scratched. I realize on some the lower screen rim touches the top screen and leaves a mark, but it wipes away - not permanent damage.[/QUOTE]

How do you wipe away the mark without touching the top screen?

[quote name='salty tbone']How do you wipe away the mark without touching the top screen?[/QUOTE]

Well I suppose if you can manage to scratch the screen while wiping it with a microfiber cloth you probably are better of just getting a screen protector.

[quote name='tranceFusion']I don't really see the point of the screen protector for the top screen. You don't really have any need to touch it, so it shouldnt get scratched. I realize on some the lower screen rim touches the top screen and leaves a mark, but it wipes away - not permanent damage.

My hope was to have one on the bottom only, but it reduces sensitivity, so I removed it. I guess it may not be a big deal for other people but I spend a lot more time with capacitive screens than my ds so I have a hard time remember to press down firmly with the screen protector on there..[/QUOTE]

3DS-screen-scratches.jpg

^That is something that can easily be "brushed away"? Dude, it's a SCRATCH, not a greasy smudge.

[quote name='Nintendonly']
3DS-screen-scratches.jpg

^That is something that can easily be "brushed away"? Dude, it's a SCRATCH, not a greasy smudge.[/QUOTE]

Was that scratch (assuming it is permanent) caused by the lower half of the unit? I've heard of that problem but never seen pics of it . . . if it is permanent, thats really lame. How could Nintendo design a handheld and not allow for the upper/lower screens to be fully protected when closed? Unbelievable.

[quote name='chimpmeister']Was that scratch (assuming it is permanent) caused by the lower half of the unit? I've heard of that problem but never seen pics of it . . . if it is permanent, thats really lame. How could Nintendo design a handheld and not allow for the upper/lower screens to be fully protected when closed? Unbelievable.[/QUOTE]

Yes to all of the above. But they replace the screen for you at no charge. It's just the hassle of being 3DS-less for a while, and the fact that it could happen again to your replacement screen.

[quote name='Nintendonly']Yes to all of the above. But they replace the screen for you at no charge. It's just the hassle of being 3DS-less for a while, and the fact that it could happen again to your replacement screen.[/QUOTE]

Didn't they redesign the top screen bumpers recently to fix this issue? I heard the top screen bumpers were too shallow, and needed to be a little deeper.

Mine never actually scratches. Mine always smudges, and I've always been able to wipe it clean.

From further inspection, the rubber bumpers on the edges of the top half of the unit don't actually even touch the bottom half when you close the 3DS! Hence another part of the problem besides the bottom screen's bezel not matching the top widescreen. There was a Kotaku article about how someone took the rubber feet off an Xbox and stuck them on the 3DS. I might suggest doing that or something similar. You need thicker rubber bumpers on the top screen, Nintendo...

The first 3DS I bought had two issues. One was a floppy hinge and the 2nd was this screen smudge issue. There was no permanent damage, just a smudge.

I read about how so many people had these two issues and a lot of people saying it was normal and others saying it was not and I debated for quite a while about swapping them. Then the price drop came and I was still in the return period so that pretty much firmed up my decision to return the first one.

The new one has neither issue. The top screen still gives a bit if you push on it but it doesn't flop all around when moving the system like playing a game like face raiders.

I always play the 3DS with the 3D off and these design/manufacturing issues are a turn off, but still I find this system to be worth it. Ocarina's gameplay hasn't aged a bit and I can't wait to get my hands on new 3ds games and those old first party games I missed (via the eshop).

[quote name='pandanese90']did u and ur friend get one?[/QUOTE]

Yeah we already had one from launch, just picked up additional ones for gifts.

[quote name='chimpmeister']Didn't they redesign the top screen bumpers recently to fix this issue? I heard the top screen bumpers were too shallow, and needed to be a little deeper.[/QUOTE]

No, Nintendo didn't know of the issue, so they had no intention of changing anything.

[quote name='Xellos2099']Anyone know if Walmart pm gift card offer? Frys is selling the system tomorrow for 169+ 30 gift card. If i bring in the receipt from tuesday, think they will pm and give me a gift card?[/QUOTE]
Walmart won't pm this kind of deal according to their official PM policy:

We DO NOT match the price in the following types of competitor ads:

• Items that require a purchase to get a competitors' gift card
    • example: "Buy [item A] to get a $B gift card
http://walmartstores.com/10563.aspx

:bomb::bomb::bomb:

[quote name='Xellos2099']Anyone going to try pming toyrus offer at walmart?[/QUOTE]
won't work neither.

We DO NOT match the price in the following types of competitor ads:

• Items with no actual price that require a purchase to get free product
    • example: "Buy both [items A & B] to get [item C] for free"

So I guess the only way to get a btter deal out of walmart is to see if they have their own little package for 3ds before tuesday since their pm policy is 7 days?

I can confirm that BB will price match the Toysrus game deal. I got the price adjustment, ambassador and a free game! The game selection stinks though. My kids picked out the dinosaur one.

[quote name='pdwayne']I can confirm that BB will price match the Toysrus game deal. I got the price adjustment, ambassador and a free game! The game selection stinks though. My kids picked out the dinosaur one.[/QUOTE]
im sure they will enjoy it i mean crap i see kids playing games that suck so much but they love it ^-^

[quote name='pdwayne']I can confirm that BB will price match the Toysrus game deal. I got the price adjustment, ambassador and a free game! The game selection stinks though. My kids picked out the dinosaur one.[/QUOTE]

What TRU deal is this?

[quote name='thisboywillbreak']So we can enter our serial numbers to confirm our Ambassador Program admission on August 15th.[/QUOTE]

I think you are late if you didn't get it yet. You had to update the 3DS and log onto the E-store before midnight of August 12th which was when the price drop kicked in "officially". Anytime after that and it is too late.

[quote name='Wompdevil']I think you are late if you didn't get it yet. You had to update the 3DS and log onto the E-store before midnight of August 12th which was when the price drop kicked in "officially". Anytime after that and it is too late.[/QUOTE]

looks like the program has been exteded for the UK

"If you bought your Nintendo 3DS system before August 12th but missed the deadline to join the Nintendo 3DS Ambassador Programme, you'll be pleased to hear you're still eligible to register! For information on how you can still do this, visit our Nintendo 3DS Ambassador Programme page here.

For all consumers who purchased their Nintendo 3DS system and accessed Nintendo eShop or conducted the recent system update prior to the 12th of August, you will have already qualified to receive your free downloadable software. We’ll be providing an online tool soon to allow you to confirm your status. You can also find more details on this at our Nintendo 3DS Ambassador Programme page here."

and another article here:

http://www.vooks.net/story-20362-Nintendo-Extends-3DS-Ambassador-Program-until-September-30th.html

Missed the deadline for free NES and GBA games? Nintendo adds handy mail in option. .

Gizmodo Australia reports you’ll be able to register until September 30, although it’s no longer as simple as merely connecting to the eShop. Now you’ll have to download a PDF application form from Nintendo’s website and mail them a hard copy alongside some proof of purchase.

Although this extension program was initially only announced for Australia, Nintendo of Europe and America have since followed suit with similar plans. Although as of the time of writing, only the European website has any details of the extension, although it does mention a new method of registering not in the original article, involving friend codes.

[quote name='Wompdevil']I think you are late if you didn't get it yet. You had to update the 3DS and log onto the E-store before midnight of August 12th which was when the price drop kicked in "officially". Anytime after that and it is too late.[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah, I did that. As you probably already know, Nintendo posted a new update in the eShop-- they're launching a site this week so that we can confirm that we are in fact Ambassadors.

bread's done
Back