Nintendo 3DS Price Drop Hits on August 9th at Walmart

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[IMG-R=5838]24198[/IMG-R]According to a trusted source, Walmart will be dropping the price of the Nintendo 3DS on August 9th, 3 days before the official drop takes effect. This means savvy shoppers will be able to get the new low price and the 20 free downloadable games available as a reward to early adopters of the 3DS. Just connect to the Nintendo eShop at least once before 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on Aug. 11 to qualify for the free games.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had stopped by the local Walmart yesterday for groceries, and I saw they had a few of both colors in the glass case. Very tempted to stop by today and pick one up.

Checked the two stores in Marietta, GA this morning. All scanned in at $249.99. Is there anything I can do to help them make the price change? Something in particular to say?

Went in to the Manville, NJ store in a rush on my way to work and rang up $249. Rather than missing my train for an override, I figured I'll just go in later for a price adjustment or return it and repurchase it later on my way home after they lower the price.

They had like 10 of each BTW.

Confirmed as of 8:00 a.m. in Wilmington, NC (Monkey Junction). They seemed to have plenty in stock and I was the only person in the electronics area. She told me I could return it within 15 days if my kid didn't like it....jerk.

[quote name='dmeece']Checked the two stores in Marietta, GA this morning. All scanned in at $249.99. Is there anything I can do to help them make the price change? Something in particular to say?[/QUOTE]

I just got mine in Exton, Pa. They had to get the Electronics Dept person for me. She didn't believe that the price had dropped and asked how sure I was and where I got the info. She then started scrolling through her "gun computer" and eventually found it. She proceeded to print out new labels which she stuck in the case, and scanned one additional bar code before she could ring me up. ...As I was leaving someone else was walking up to the counter to ask about the price drop...

just got back from my local walmart in richmond indiana. they have dropped the price of the 3ds to 169.99. i picked up a 3ds with zelda and resident evil! they had 5 black and five teal!

Anyone gonna try for a price match at BB at 10am when they open? I'm fine to do the price adjustment if so on the 12th but wondering if anyone will have success

Stopped at the Cary and Apex, NC stores on my way in this morning. Still scanned at $249.99. Cary had a couple of each color. Apex didn't have any in their case, don't know about in the back.

Success at W*M in Amherst, NH. The Dept. manager was in the process of revising the price when I arrived! They had both black and blue, plenty on hand of both.

Got one in Starkville, MS. Wasn't reflected before 8:00, but did after. Price was updated, and I snagged mine at the reduced price. The cashier said she knew they would drop the price, given the way they were selling. There was an initial rush, but it was pretty slow going after that.

Thanks, CheapyD, and to your unnamed yet reliable source!

Now to actually buy a game... gonna swing by the local salvage store, they had a few games in there. At the very least, I may be able to take a few copies of Nintendogs and save some money towards OoT or something similar.

Got one teal in Corpus Christi!! They have like 15 in stock. Went there 7:45 and they were in the process of changing the prices. They are still doing the Buy 1 get 40% off on 3ds games at ToysRUs if anyone is interested.

[quote name='guardkitty']Anyone gonna try for a price match at BB at 10am when they open? I'm fine to do the price adjustment if so on the 12th but wondering if anyone will have success[/QUOTE]

I will be trying to do this I'm in Tulsa OK so i got another hour before i do so....my plan is to show my walmart receipt if they allow it ill buy from them get my reward points plus use my 50 dollars worth of reward points towards and then return the other back to wally world if not ill keep what i have and be happy i was able to get one before they sell out...... Thanks CheapyD!

[quote name='rochaps']Got one teal in Corpus Christi!! They have like 15 in stock. Went there 7:45 and they were in the process of changing the prices. They are still doing the Buy 1 get 40% off on 3ds games at ToysRUs if anyone is interested.[/QUOTE]

And Target has Ubisoft 3DS games for $17.00 as well...though I've heard the only one worthwhile is Ghost Recon. I may try to get my price adjustment today. I'll just have to make sure my Wal-Mart has actually lowered the price first before I have the Best Buy CS rep call over there.

The Ames, IA Walmart (the super one, like we need two walmarts in this town) is good to go. The even had the rollback signs in the case saying the price was dropped. Had a few left of each color.

It worked for me in Omaha, NE. They had tons of them and the price label still said $250 but it was $170 when the guy rang it up, here's my receipt if you still need proof.
IvpNa.jpg

It was no-go in NC. An Aqua Blue 3DS scanned at full price with the hand scanner. I did receive a free, condescending talking-down about pricing from the employee, and how it was highly improbable that the 3DS was getting a price rollback. I should have known they could never do anything right or on-time at my local Walmart.

A winner is me at the Dunvale location in Houston. Had to have the Asst Manager override it but she knew exactly what I was talking about when the Electronics dept guy asked. Thanks Cheapy!

[quote name='sbaker44']Nope, farther West on Kirkwood. Let me know if you have any success at Dunvale.[/QUOTE]

Went to the store in Schaumburg, IL this morning by my house no price drop.
I figured cause I hate Walmart. Might try later on the way home.

Going to stop by Walmart in an hour and get the 3DS I bought Friday price adjusted for the $80 refund. Starting to second guess my decision though. I'm excited that this deal is working but now that I actually sit and think about it, what am I gonna play on this thing? Z: OoT obviously is gold, but other than that...there is a pretty long wait before Starfox, Super Mario, Mario Kart, (insert more first party quality titles here) are released. Are there any quality older DS titles that anyone would recommend?

Not trying to be a Debbie downer. I want a 3DS, I just need some convincing!

And I know this deal is already crazy in my favor so if any one decides to burn me for this, well, eff you in advance lol.

[quote name='vivafriend5']It was no-go in NC. An Aqua Blue 3DS scanned at full price with the hand scanner. I did receive a free, condescending talking-down about pricing from the employee, and how it was highly improbable that the 3DS was getting a price rollback. I should have known they could never do anything right or on-time at my local Walmart.[/QUOTE]

Which NC store?

[quote name='AirMcLaren']Going to stop by Walmart in an hour and get the 3DS I bought Friday price adjusted for the $80 refund. Starting to second guess my decision though. I'm excited that this deal is working but now that I actually sit and think about it, what am I gonna play on this thing? Z: OoT obviously is gold, but other than that...there is a pretty long wait before Starfox, Super Mario, Mario Kart, (insert more first party quality titles here) are released. Are there any quality older DS titles that anyone would recommend?

And I know this deal is already crazy in my favor so if any one decides to burn me for this, well, eff you in advance lol.[/QUOTE]

Get Ghost Recon at Target for $17. (Especially if you are an advance wars fan.) I played it late into the night yesterday, and am now trying to stay awake at work. It is a turn based strategy game of sorts. The 3D doesn't add too much to the game play mechanics, but adds a lot to the aesthetics. It almost feels like you are moving players in a diorama setup on your table. This is not just a game one buys early in a system's life because there are no others (though I will admit that is why I bought it ). It is a good game, period.

Walmart in DeKalb, IL was good to go. Went in at 7:45am CST. Asked for a price check and the electronics lady said she was just about to mark them down. Rang up no problem. $169.96. Thanks Cheapy!!!

walmart.com did have a preorder for $169.96 in addition to the $249. The preorder said it ships on the 12th like amazon.

[quote name='Gadget Man 007']A winner is me at the Dunvale location in Houston. Had to have the Asst Manager override it but she knew exactly what I was talking about when the Electronics dept guy asked. Thanks Cheapy![/QUOTE]

I live like 10minutes away from that location...now to decide if I want the 3DS or not

[quote name='AirMcLaren']Going to stop by Walmart in an hour and get the 3DS I bought Friday price adjusted for the $80 refund. Starting to second guess my decision though. I'm excited that this deal is working but now that I actually sit and think about it, what am I gonna play on this thing? Z: OoT obviously is gold, but other than that...there is a pretty long wait before Starfox, Super Mario, Mario Kart, (insert more first party quality titles here) are released. Are there any quality older DS titles that anyone would recommend?

And I know this deal is already crazy in my favor so if any one decides to burn me for this, well, eff you in advance lol.[/QUOTE]

This is why I'm waiting this time. Once I had played the only game I gave a crap about, there was nothing left to do with it. I'd much rather wait and get a good deal on it next time, like around Black Friday when hopefully there's something else to play besides Zelda. I basically felt like I paid $300 to play one game.

Hi Guys (and Boston area CAG-ers)! Just got back from the store in Salem, MA. The manager didn't know what the deal was but ended up reducing the price after I asked her about it, so you should be able to get a 3DS at 169.99 at the Salem, MA store like I did :) This was after a failed attempt at the Lynn, MA store. The woman was not helpful and didn't even know when the department manager would be in. I would try Salem first if you have the change.

[quote name='whatsinaname']Get Ghost Recon at Target for $17. (Especially if you are an advance wars fan.) I played it late into the night yesterday, and am now trying to stay awake at work. It is a turn based strategy game of sorts. The 3D doesn't add too much to the game play mechanics, but adds a lot to the aesthetics. It almost feels like you are moving players in a diorama setup on your table. This is not just a game one buys early in a system's life because there are no others (though I will admit that is why I bought it ). It is a good game, period.[/QUOTE]

I just wish they would release a new Advance Wars. I'd buy 5 3DS units out of happiness lol.

Just got back from the Toms River, NJ Wal-Mart. After asking a number of employees at electronics, followed by a customer service person and front-end manager, I was sent back to electronics where the price drop was just put into effect. It was rung up for $170 ($181.86 with tax).

If there's any advice I'd give you, it's to ask for the manager, as most of the employees had no clue about a price drop.

So CheapyD's prophecy has been fulfilled!

No go at the WM in Paramount, Ca. She had no idea and DP is on vacation. Going to try the good 'ol LBC in an hour or so ...

[quote name='NukaCola']Just got back from the Toms River, NJ Wal-Mart. After asking a number of employees at electronics, followed by a customer service person and front-end manager, I was sent back to electronics where the price drop was just put into effect. It was rung up for $170 ($181.86 with tax).

If there's any advice I'd give you, it's to ask for the manager, as most of the employees had no clue about a price drop.

So CheapyD's prophecy has been fulfilled![/QUOTE]

I'd say best strategy is not to show up just when employees are getting in and give them a chance to mark them down.

Thanks! I called and confirmed then picked one up in Morton IL at about 8 this morning, they even had tags on the display advertizing the rolled back price, and probably 10 in stock.

Congrats to all those that got the price drop!

I got my aqua blue on Sun at target. Connected to the eshop last night. Going to go back on fri and get my price adjustment.

The one at Mecham Rd. Elk Grove Village, IL. still has some. Just bought a black one. Went in at about 8am, the price came up as $249 with the hand scanner. She did not know anything about the sale but then I came back at 10am and they had updated the price to $169. Thanks Cheapy! [quote name='flybrione']Went to the store in Schaumburg, IL this morning by my house no price drop.
I figured cause I hate Walmart. Might try later on the way home.[/QUOTE]

Well, after 20 minutes at BB and them calling corporate, they said corporate is going to issue a no PM until the 12th memo, even though I was still well within the 30 day limit (I bought one at BB last week.). Luckily, I got a $170 blue 3DS at Walmart and stuck BB with a used 3DS. Go with Wal-mart if you can, folks.

[quote name='cag1000']Sounds like BB PM might be a hassle. Curious anyone know what is the size of the screen as compared to the DS Lite?[/QUOTE]

Google knows: Nintendo 3DS: Top screen measures 90 millimeters (3.53 inches) diagonally, and bottom touch screen measures 77 millimeters (3.02 inches) diagonally. Nintendo DS Lite: Top and bottom screen both measure 79 millimeters (3.12 inches) diagonally.

[quote name='jack612']No luck at the Murphy Canyon Rd. Wal Mart in San Diego. Still rings up at $250. I guess I'll try again tonight. :([/QUOTE]

Ha, another San Diegan.

Man, I was reading through the thread, quivering with anticipation of the price drop not happening and then it did. There goes my entertainment for the day. :\

Just got mine at the West Hills, CA store for $169, so it's definitely at least in some west coast stores already. They only had one black and a few blue left, though, so I would get on it if you're in the area.

Just picked one up at the Chamblee store in Georgia. They didn't have the price cut marked, but it rang up as the lower price. They had a couple left of both blue and black.

Latham ny store has them at the dropped price

2 of one 4 of the other...can't remember which is which.

1 per due to limited quant.

bread's done
Back