Nintendo 3DS Price Drop Hits on August 9th at Walmart

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[IMG-R=5838]24198[/IMG-R]According to a trusted source, Walmart will be dropping the price of the Nintendo 3DS on August 9th, 3 days before the official drop takes effect. This means savvy shoppers will be able to get the new low price and the 20 free downloadable games available as a reward to early adopters of the 3DS. Just connect to the Nintendo eShop at least once before 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on Aug. 11 to qualify for the free games.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='gordojones88']Please Help!!! I can't find my FREE games! They weren't in the box![/QUOTE]

not sure if this is a joke post, but I'll help anyway....you connect to the eShop and they will be available starting September 1st for download

[quote name='iamsobroke']Why is everybody buying an Aqua blue one. Unless your 12 I think you should go with the black. It just looks better.[/QUOTE]

Well the black is a fingerprint magnet, so that was one turn off for me. I also have a friend with black who regrets not getting the aqua blue, and that kinda made me want it more. at the end of the day, i don't really see the big deal about the color of the system. I had the pink GBA when i was 8 or 9 and when people tried to make fun of me, i didn't care, because I had a GBA lol

[quote name='MrSneis']So I'm worried I would pick this up and not ever use. You guys who picked one up at a lower price have any impressions yet? I know it's only been a few hours ;)[/QUOTE]

Just wait till toys r us or amazon release a free gift card deal then

actually the high gloss finish on both systems make fingerprints very visible (although, on the black system they may stand out a bit more which is why I've had a HORI silicone cover on mine since day one

it makes me wish that apple wasn't so successful when they did it with the ipods because now just about every company thinks that high gloss is the "in" thing.
it's extremely funny (in a sad way) when all of these companies are showcasing their new products at trade shows and the booth people have to carry around micro-fibre cleaning cloths to wipe down the product after every single person touches it, even for a moment.

back on topic:
the walmart in livonia, mi (plymouth road location) has the systems marked down to 169.99 and they have about (4) aqua blue and (1) cosmos black system left

[quote name='iamsobroke']Why is everybody buying an Aqua blue one. Unless your 12 I think you should go with the black. It just looks better.[/QUOTE]

It's not THAT childish looking (and remember all those iPod colors?), and if you're living with someone else who has a black 3DS it's an easy way to keep the systems distinguishable.

Like others have said the black shows finger prints more. My only complaint with the aqua 3DS is the color on the outside top, I wish it was the same as the inside bottom.

[quote name='j.m.ratkos']it makes me wish that apple wasn't so successful when they did it with the ipods because now just about every company thinks that high gloss is the "in" thing.[/QUOTE]

I don't mind the gloss so much on portables. Never really had a problem with it, although I could do with a nice matte. Don't like gloss on home systems though.

Basically I have a Black DS Lite I wanted to get a different color for the 3DS.

[quote name='XtraN']Thanks for the update! Do you remember how many were left? I might try to make it out there today.[/QUOTE]

Hi, there were at least 2 aquas and a few (4+) blacks when I left, about noontime. They had them on the bottom shelf across the aisle from the DS games, AND on the shelving on the bottom of the games display (the mgr was rearranging them, don't know if they all got consolidated.) There were a few phonecalls when I was there asking the price before it dropped, around 1030am, but no one was buying in-store except me. I think there are 2 WMs in San Leandro? I didn't check the 2nd one. Oakland WM had 3 aquas only, with black on order/arriving Friday, and were under the impression that ALL pricechanges were from WM headquarters only (this was from their electronics floor mgr, so I didn't want to argue & just drove the 2 miles to San Leandro.) SL also has a cheaper tax rate than Oakland :) Good luck!

I decided against buying one now. I'll wait 2 years for the next iteration. My friend did buy one- listed $179.96 on rollback at the super walmart in American Canyon, CA. There's only 1 blue and 1 black left. Great deal, but I really can't justify buying a handheld with a terrible battery life.

[quote name='Guilty']Really? Is that because you bought one and know he is right? Seriously, we ALL know that they will be announcing a better model by the end of the year, especially considering the price drop, and N's history. Not to mention that 170 is still easily 20$ to much @ this point, and there are only a few games worth even owning.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I bought one at a midnight launch for it. I've had it and used it, and got rid of it the day they announced there will be a price drop 4 months after launch. 3D is a gimmick, can be painful to the eyes, and if you use it to long then look at your computer screen things can be blurry. On top of this, there is currently no good exclusive games on the system.

People will always argue and call someone a troll who hates on something, but in my honest opinion, this thing isn't worth it. I could not suggest one to anyone.

Of course the 3DS is going to get another price drop at some point. And there's almost certainly going to be a better version at some point as well.

I seriously doubt either of those things being announced by year's end, however.

At $170 with 20 free games? I'm willing to buy now rather than waiting. While the 20 games are old, I figure if Nintendo released the NES games on a "Best Of" cart for $20 and the GBA games on a cart for $30, I'd easily buy them both. So I see it as getting the console for $120 only a few months after it launched, which is less than what I paid for my DS Lite almost 2 years after the first DS came on the scene.

Tl;Dr Don't hate on this deal, it's actually pretty good.

Just got an Aqua Blue at the Super Walmart in Harvey, LA. Went before work, but the drop hadn't gone into affect. Stopped by after work around 4:30, and the updated price was in the case and everything. They still had about 6 left.

Walmart on Monocacy Blvd in Frederick, MD(Store #2756) has 'em in stock. Just got back with my Aqua Blue 3DS. There's about 4 blacks and 2 blues left. The people there were really nice and knew all about the price drop.

[quote name='AsobiSeksu']but I really can't justify buying a handheld with a terrible battery life.[/QUOTE]

I know, right?

3DS Battery Life: 3.5 to 5 Hours

PSP 1000 Battery Life: 3.5 to 5 Hours

PSP Go Battery Life: 3 to 5 Hours

iPhone Gaming Battery Life: 3 to 5 Hours

Sources:http://psp.ign.com/articles/574/574557p2.html
http://www.crunchgear.com/2009/06/14/psp-go-battery-life-worse-than-psp-3000/

THe BB in Homestead/Florida City, FL price matched my purchase from nearly 2 weeks ago today. Also got them to price match the 19.99 Rabbids in Time game from Toys r Us while I was there.

Sold out at local Wal*Mart.

Has anyone had BAD luck PMing at Best Buy when local store is OOS? I just don't want to be rejected.

Picked one up at the Old Bridge, NJ store. They had 1 Black left after I purchased mine. The Freehold, NJ store was sold out.

[quote name='Rocky87']The south side of Indianapolis has at least 6 or 7 of each color in stock for $169.99[/QUOTE]

Well, crap. The east side had 0 at Pendleton and the one on Washington rang up at $249 at 5pm :( SI

[quote name='Spyder187']THe BB in Homestead/Florida City, FL price matched my purchase from nearly 2 weeks ago today. Also got them to price match the 19.99 Rabbids in Time game from Toys r Us while I was there.[/QUOTE]

Rabbids is $17 at Target. Go get $2 more. :D

Got mine after work. There must have been at least 2 or 3 of each color at my hick Sparta, WI Wal*Mart. Dang is this System Update taking forever to load.

Had no problems getting one for the new lower price at the Walmart in Hamilton NJ on Rt 130. So the only thing you need to do to get in on the ambassador program is sign into the eShop correct?

[quote name='omyard']Like others have said the black shows finger prints more. My only complaint with the aqua 3DS is the color on the outside top, I wish it was the same as the inside bottom.

I don't mind the gloss so much on portables. Never really had a problem with it, although I could do with a nice matte. Don't like gloss on home systems though.[/QUOTE]

Regardless, there will always be fingerprints lol , u are human :p well if anything out of topic but my pearl white psp go has no finger prints at ALL ! Either the color white is best or I'm an alien with no paw prints ;)

[quote name='Crygor64']I know, right?

3DS Battery Life: 3.5 to 5 Hours

PSP 1000 Battery Life: 3.5 to 5 Hours

PSP Go Battery Life: 3 to 5 Hours

iPhone Gaming Battery Life: 3 to 5 Hours

Sources:http://psp.ign.com/articles/574/574557p2.html
http://www.crunchgear.com/2009/06/14/psp-go-battery-life-worse-than-psp-3000/[/QUOTE]

Personally I can't play a hand held for 12hrs straight like a ps3 console. I always take rest between 2-3 hrs so battery isn't much a hassle

[quote name='Nigel']Had no problems getting one for the new lower price at the Walmart in Hamilton NJ on Rt 130. So the only thing you need to do to get in on the ambassador program is sign into the eShop correct?[/QUOTE]

Yes and for anyone wondering you're ONLY in when you see the program mentioned in your news area via the E shop (according to Nintendo)

After having no luck at my Houston store this morning I turned to craigslist. I was able to get an aqua blue (wanted black) and Street Fighter for $150. If I didn't find one on there I was going to try a PM at Best Buy and hope they called a different store. Considering I sold my DS lite yesterday for $100 on CL, I think I did ok!

Just a heads up. I bought online on BB for in-store delivery about a week and a half ago. Just called the BB.com Price Match department to get a price match based on Walmart price. I had no issue whatsoever, they didn't even call Walmart to confirm price or stock. I just told them that Walmart had it in-store at 169, they said no problem, and processed it then and there.

Got it at the Austin S35 location today.. they had a lot left of both colors. Stupid Ben White store wont match other Walmarts and refuses to believe they are on sale.

[quote name='Crygor64']This website claims we can scam the 3ds ambassador program by purchasing the system at walmart before the 12th http://www.digthatbox.com/2011.08.07_arch.html#1312846901088 Anyone had any luck with this?[/QUOTE]

I merged the eStore account with my Club Nintendo account and had a message saying I am an ambassador. I believe you had a concern about battery life. I'm buying the Nyko PowerPak. It doubles the battery life. Its only 15 bucks at BB.

[quote name='phoenix529']Where's your smugness now, Nintendonly?[/QUOTE]

In the toilet, and deservedly so.

Also, I had a predicament that... I can't explain without making a mockery of myself, so you guys can mock the hell outta me.

:whistle2:#

Just got back from BB in Maplewood, MN. Just told associate about Wal-Mart's price, she skeptically called Wal-Mart (Vadnais Heights one I assume), and punched in the lower price for a successful PM.

Disco.

Went to three different wal-marts in my area and finally got one. The first two walmarts told me that the price drop was on the 12th. Had no problem getting a black one from the third walmart.

[quote name='strait edge follower']You guys think there will be a 3dsixl ?[/QUOTE]

sure so long as they recover (i think they will, just take some time. weak line-up such and such) however they need too sell off their stock, and get alot more units out there too where they can become profitable off of this (from the games atleast) before they can even think about shipping out a new model, UNLESS they figure out a way too make it cheaper. basically i think it will be a long time before we see a new model, so i jumped on this.

[quote name='Ragnorok64']What game(s) are people looking forward to, to motivated them to buy one of theses?[/QUOTE]

Pokemon White and Super Scribblenauts

[quote name='Zimmy']Sorry if it has been reported already but Amazon is now offering the $169.99 price.[/QUOTE]
That's a pre-order price for the 12th, won't help you if you want the 20 Free games.

[quote name='Ragnorok64']What game(s) are people looking forward to, to motivated them to buy one of theses?[/QUOTE]

none at the moment. i just want to take advantage of this deal because i know i'll want one in the future for layton and whatever dragon quest games will probably come out for it

plus it'll be nice to upgrade from my old original 1 level of "brightness" ds that i still play very regularly

bread's done
Back