Nintendo DSi and DSi XL Out Now. "3DS" Showing at E3

Well, the browser sucks as bad as before - I sure can't see any performance improvement. Still incredibly slow. I thought it might be faster given that the DSi is supposed to be faster, but it isn't. That's pretty dissappointing. Also no Flash. I'm probably going to delete it - it's just a waste of blocks.

How are diagonals on the d-pad compared to the DS Lite's? This could definitely sway me, though I'm not too happy about them putting the power button back into a spot where you can hit it by accident easily.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I don't give a crap about the DSi till I start hearing about original Game Boy VC games being available officially.[/quote]
same here....but I will buy the Lime Green if it comes over.

Wario Ware Snapped is pretty fun. I like how it takes snap shots of you in-game and replays it after. It sucks you can't save the photos though.

[quote name='crunchewy']Well, the browser sucks as bad as before - I sure can't see any performance improvement. Still incredibly slow. I thought it might be faster given that the DSi is supposed to be faster, but it isn't. That's pretty dissappointing. Also no Flash. I'm probably going to delete it - it's just a waste of blocks.[/QUOTE]

Slow compared to what though? If you're going for something like Google Chrome then you're asking for too much.

Two questions I been wondering about.

1. How good is the camera quality (I mean for taking pictures).

2. How is the music player (is the interface useful and does it even sound good)?

It's a separate account. This is why when you register Nintendo Points, you have to pick which account you want them to go to.

I imagine they are under the same umbrella when it comes to Club Nintendo though.

Fragalot:

The cameras are .3 megapixels. Not exactly worth it for taking pictures. They'll look okay on the small DS screens but cameras in cell phones work better. Granted I don't know why anyone would complain about that, as if this were their only option for taking digital pictures. Might as well complain it doesn't play DVDs.

[quote name='Strell']It's a separate account. This is why when you register Nintendo Points, you have to pick which account you want them to go to.

I imagine they are under the same umbrella when it comes to Club Nintendo though.

Fragalot:

The cameras are .3 megapixels. Not exactly worth it for taking pictures. They'll look okay on the small DS screens but cameras in cell phones work better. Granted I don't know why anyone would complain about that, as if this were their only option for taking digital pictures. Might as well complain it doesn't play DVDs.[/QUOTE]

.3MP? Or 3MP?

POINT THREE? *really*?

Wow. What a hunk of shit. I think I have a box of Honey Nut Cheerios that takes higher resolution photos than that.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']You thought wrong.[/QUOTE]

l44784585904_8294.jpg

Here are my DSi first impressions after a few hours with it:

The screens are big, but otherwise about the same quality as the DS Lite. The bottom screen still has a slight tinge to it and the very slight "greasy" look just as the later model DS Lites. It appears that everything I read about the DSi screen "fixing" this problem is either due to uber elite review models or reviewers who don't know what they are looking for. I wouldn't even know myself if I hadn't personally owned an early model DS Lite which had a crystal clear, pure white touch screen.

The screens' refresh rate seems the same as the DS Lite. Despite the larger size, there is no excessive motion blur. Overall, just picture the DS Lite screen, but slightly bigger.

The sound is clearer, but maybe just because it is a little louder. However, the speakers (or built-in amplifier) appear to be prone to distortion. If I turn the volume down a bit, it minimizes this, but at full or near-full volume, even the simple DSi menu sounds are distorted. I haven't tried headphone output yet, which I guess would immediately reveal if it is the amp or speakers at fault.

The d-pad and buttons are "clicky", like the GBASP. I never had a problem with the Lite controls, other than comfort, so I can't tell you if the DSi is "better".

It is weird to use the apps like Download Play and Pictochat and suddenly be thrown back 5 years to the old DS interface look with the large pixelated clock at the top and different text font. It is literally the exact same app taken directly from the DS Lite, but with the some text strings changed to reflect the "DSi menu". I guess they were too lazy to update these.

The wifi settings maintain the standard connections 1, 2, 3 which only support WEP. I assume this is for backwards compatibility. If you try to use the wifi autodetect feature on a WPA access point, you will get told to use the "advanced settings", which are back on the main internet menu. You then have to dig through that menu to get to connection 4, 5, 6 which are the ones which support everything up to WPA2 AES.

Web browser looks nice, but as mentioned, no flash and it isn't very speedy. It is much faster than the old DS browser, but still has very slow rendering. Despite apparently keeping the whole web page is memory, it only renders the exact portion of the screen you are looking at. So when you scroll, you are stuck looking at a bunch of white space as the DSi swaps in the new portion of the web page.

The cameras are fine. The images look just as good as my MacBook webcam. Obviously you aren't going to be going around taking wedding pictures with this thing, but for its intended purpose (quick action shots or portraits) it works fine.

The biggest surprise about the DSi is that it comes out of the box with a full battery charge.

The DSi is also surprisingly larger than the Lite, despite losing the GBA slot.

To sum up my experience, other than the DSi Ware, there is almost no point in this "upgrade". I was keeping the faith that the larger screens, superior speakers, and new menu system would be worth $100 (difference between selling my Lite and the price of the DSi). I am sorry to admit that it is not. The screens are larger, but are virtually identical in quality to the Lite's (I did several tests side-by-side). The speakers appear to be larger and the new volume control is nice, but the amp/speakers being overdriven ruins it. The new menu system is nifty, but it is laid out in a 100% horizontal fashion which means you will be scrolling many pages left and right to find what you want after only downloading a handful of apps.

Until some must-have DSi Ware or GB/GBA games are available for download, I see no reason to spend any further time or money on this device. Hence, I plan on keeping mine for a few more days as a test run, then likely returning it for a refund.

If someone has the capability, can you tell me if you can move stuff between SD cards?

I think I have a spare 2GB laying around, but I'd want to get a larger SDHC card down the line, but I want to know if it's a pain/hassle/etc to move the data around, much like how you can't copy certain save game files from the Wii to an SD card.

Also, nice review Zing. That's about what I expected this thing to be. Does Pictochat still require a shutdown when you exit it?

[quote name='Strell']
Also, nice review Zing. That's about what I expected this thing to be. Does Pictochat still require a shutdown when you exit it?[/quote]
Nope, pictochat brings you back to the menu.

[quote name='Strell']TheMykeKnight, ladies and gentlemen. Let's give him a hand.[/QUOTE]

That's cute and all, but I honestly had no idea the cameras were that weak.

You can buy Wal-Mart "in the plastic blister pak" digital cameras for $20 that have 3MP.

I'm absolutely flummoxed as to what the draw of this system is. Like the PSP Slim and...whatever we're calling the third iteration that's out now...the improvements are so marginal so as to be virtually irrelevant.

The only thing that has any promise is the DSiWare. And given the treatment of the Wii Shopping Channel as of late, you'll understand, I'm sure, if I'm quite nonplussed about that addition.

Thanks Zing for that wonderful review. I have my DSi on reserve at Best Buy for in-store pickup, so I have a week to pick the thing up before they just cancel the order. Luckily, they never charge you until you pick it up.

Anyways, I was on the fence to whether or not i should buy this or something else. I guess I will wait it out on the DSi as the opera web browser is still not exactly that great.

To help increase speed when surfing the web, try going to websites designed for mobile devices. These sites are designed so they are not as memory extensive as ones you will often go to.

A good site with a directory of pages designed for mobile devices is:

http://cantoni.mobi/

oh I forgot, what do you guys think about these "Express" titles nintendo is releasing on DSi store. To be honest, theses titles seem like just portions of the actual game.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='mykevermin']That's cute and all, but I honestly had no idea the cameras were that weak. [/quote]

I have a hard time believing that, which you should understand.

The only thing that has any promise is the DSiWare. And given the treatment of the Wii Shopping Channel as of late, you'll understand, I'm sure, if I'm quite nonplussed about that addition.

Sheesh people act like they need to have a reason to explain themselves in passing this thing over. The converse is true also, and I guess both conclusions are better than not having an express reason, but it still feels like a lose-lose-lose situation all around.

I'll give the DSi this strike: it has a distinct lack of sixteen person text chat. :]

thanks for the review, i'm definately holding to my DS lite thanks to you which is great because i really don't have alot of extra cash at them moment :D

[quote name='Strell']It's a separate account. This is why when you register Nintendo Points, you have to pick which account you want them to go to.

Fragalot:

The cameras are .3 megapixels. Not exactly worth it for taking pictures. They'll look okay on the small DS screens but cameras in cell phones work better. Granted I don't know why anyone would complain about that, as if this were their only option for taking digital pictures. Might as well complain it doesn't play DVDs.[/quote]

This is something worthy of a complaint seeing they are advertising this thing heavy on the camera function.....

I just got it, along with a copy of Rhythm Heaven. DsiWare could be cool, but so far, I'm relatively disappointed with WarioWare, due to it only having 20 minigames, and little replay value. I know it's only $5 (free with the 1000 points offer), but I should at least get an hour out of it, and the only reason I would want to replay it would be to see what JImmy's movies are, as I get a smirk out of them.

[quote name='Derrick1979']

This is something worthy of a complaint seeing they are advertising this thing heavy on the camera function.....[/QUOTE]

For game usage. Not for capturing family memories.

Do people here even know what megapixels are generally used for? Enlarging pictures to grandiose sizes. Poster sized. Honestly this "discussion" is comparable to the "how many bits is a game system" nonsense, which has no relevancy today.

In other words, almost entirely useless to debate about. Besides, if you're buying this thing to use as a camera, you have issues, and should seek some kind of help.

Look I know the gaming crowd is the king of taking stuff out of context to make depressingly sad arguments, but really - we're all smarter than this. I hope.

[quote name='mykevermin']
I'm absolutely flummoxed as to what the draw of this system is. Like the PSP Slim and...whatever we're calling the third iteration that's out now...the improvements are so marginal so as to be virtually irrelevant.

The only thing that has any promise is the DSiWare. And given the treatment of the Wii Shopping Channel as of late, you'll understand, I'm sure, if I'm quite nonplussed about that addition.[/QUOTE]

1. Bigger screens
2. Can swap games without a power cycle (warm boot)
3. Matte finish (no fingerprints!)
4. WPA (for DSi stuff)
5. Cameras
6. Upgradeable firmware
7. SD card slot

You don't need to justify keeping a DSlite. If I didn't have the extra cash and a insatiable need for the latest gadget, I would have passed. It looks like a lot of people are passing. My local Meijer had about 10 DSis in stock.

Points 1-3 are merely cosmetic. They don't contribute to overall funcationality.

Nobody worth a damn is going to stick with the cameras if they're not used in a game. Nintendo's used them purely for a gimmick at the moment but the facial recognition is what it needs to be though. Points for them.

6 and 7 is what all of us with a DSi are clinging onto right now as the system's potential.

Nintendo needs to make their apps more robust. Adding drums and cymbals to your AAC files is what toddlers do. I want my goddamn shuffle play and playlist features.

I have found one thing I really do not like about the DSi - those damnable, tiny dimples at the front left and right of the bottom case. When playing games they press into my hands. Anyone else find this to be the case?I'm considering sanding them off, but that might ruin the case. I guess I'll have to use some play-in case that will make the bottom smooth.

Actually I am having a bit of buyers remorse. We're taking a trip tomorrow and I know I'll be playing GeoDefense, TikiTowers, Sky Force Reloaded, Flight Control, and other great iPod touch games, pretty much all of which I bought for 99 cents. It makes it hard to get excited about DS games. The value doesn't seem there and so far it's not looking like DSiWare is going to change that - there's no reason download games couldn't be BETTER then cartridge games and yet cost less. Instead we get lesser games that cost less, but don't offer a lot of value.

Sigh. Mind you, I do think this is a better DS overall. I'll hold out hope that future releases will make it seem worthwhile to me. It is early, but right now I feel like I've bought a new product from a company stuck in their old ways, and I'm not sure why I did that. It's a great DS, but that's it.

Granted they don't have multiplayer but Dr. Mario and Puzzle League should be coming over soon. Also PicoPict, Art Style Nalaku, Clubhouse Games Express (I Doubt It, Memory, Old Maid, Sevens, and Spit), Mighty Flip Champs, and Art Style CODE.

And while I'm REALLY stretching it, there's the Solitaire game that's only 200 points, which isn't bad for when you just need something really brisk.

Personally, I'm hoping for a PDA-type app to come.

Last edited by a moderator:
Picked one up today at the Nintendo World Store. They still had tons in stock. I went in just to buy some screen protectors, as I have mine on the way from amazon, but I saw that they were giving away DSi swag and I couldn't resist. This is one sexy little piece of hardware.

[quote name='fieldkillah']Nope, pictochat brings you back to the menu.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Strell']That's almost a reason in and of itself to upgrade.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Strell']I'll give the DSi this strike: it has a distinct lack of sixteen person text chat. :][/QUOTE]

:lol:

Overall I'm impressed by the little additions and all. It does feel like an unjustified purchase if you have a DS Lite. But hopefully they make good use of the cameras, DSiWare and my 8GB SDHC card soon.

The only reason I'm keeping my DS Lite is b/c of paddle support for Space Invaders Extreme and Arkanoid DS using the GBA slot. Other than that, can't really see any other reason seeing as I still have my GBA SP.

Reasons I am keeping my DS Lite:
-I can trade pokemon between my Diamond and Platinum
-I can import pokemon from my GBA pokemon games
-My DS Lite is the limited edition pokemon one.

I do like the improvements such as volume control buttons, and the ability to change brightness in-game (but I wish they'd had brightness buttons instead of cryptic select+volume up/down. Most people will never know you can do that, I imagine.) I also like the matte finish a lot, not just for fingerprint resistance.

I think if I pick up a copy of Peggle Dual Shot I'll feel a lot better. :)

So, is the thing just "matte" like the bottom half of the cobalt/black or crimson/black DS lite, or is it "soft touch" like a lot of cell phones are these days, kind of a "rubbery" like feel to it?

[quote name='Lawyers Guns N Money']So, is the thing just "matte" like the bottom half of the cobalt/black or crimson/black DS lite, or is it "soft touch" like a lot of cell phones are these days, kind of a "rubbery" like feel to it?[/QUOTE]

It's a little different than the crimson DS Lite. It's hard to describe. It's almost feels like a chalkboard. It actually bothers me a little bit.

After my wife complained about her hands getting tired while laying in bed getting beat repeatedly by me in Tetris DS matches, I compared the weight of the DSi vs the Lite and the Lite is slightly heavier.

I know i'm so late on the info on this but i picked up my system at the Universal City Walk store on yesterday. I would highly suggest anyone to go to the Universal City Walk when a game or system launch. I got a ton of stuff for free like wii/DS points, SD cards, headsets, SD holders, stylus and much more.

On the contrary, Peggle is a game that will get me playing my DS like crazy. $30, no, but $20 sure. I'm not sure why I didn't just buy the game when I picked up my DSi. Of course, like any DS game, it ought to be available as a download on the DSi, and for less. The entire DS catalog should be available as download games. Oh well. I guess that's never going to happen.

And the answer is no. You can't use the DSi browser to log into a wifi service and then play a DS game online. The browser has virtually no value whatsoever. :(

[quote name='crunchewy']And, of course, doing that works perfectly on the iPod touch.[/quote]

So basically the DSi is for the hardcore nintendo nuts that have to have it for the meh extra features but they are not going to be winniong over the soccer moms or casuals that want to just play some games.. to me its going to come down to them seeing $129/169 and go with the cheaper....

bread's done
Back