OFFICIAL 2006 Yard Sale Thread

I started reading this thread and got excited thinking about what I could find out there. So I decided to plot out some thrift stores to check out. I found a couple games the last few days along with an SNES but this morning I hit JACKPOT (for me at least). All these games came from the bottom of a bin that was just wheeled out. All games were $1.99 a piece.

SNES

Earthbound :drool:
Super Mario All-Stars
Castlevania 4
Super Mario World x3
Spider Man & X-Men Arcade's Revenge
Skyblazer
Killer Instinct
Legend of Zelda: LTTP x2
Super Ghouls and Ghosts
Donkey Kong Country 3
Donkey Kong Country 2
Super R-Type

NES

Paperboy
Mike Tyson's Punch Out x2
Super Mario Brothers 3 x2
Dr. Mario x3
Gauntlet II
Bubble Bobble
Zelda II The Adventure of Link
Super Mario Brothers 2

Genesis

Sonic 2
Sonic 3

Game Gear

Mortal Kombat

I'm totally hooked on this now. I'm gonna get out early on Saturday morning and see if I can score some yardsale finds for some even better deals.

[quote name='Resident Guru']I'm totally hooked on this now. I'm gonna get out early on Saturday morning and see if I can score some yardsale finds for some even better deals.[/QUOTE]

Gotcha!

[quote name='Captain_Insano16']Wow - good finds Resident Guru - welcome to the addiction![/quote]

Thanks! Yeah, when I looked at the bottom of that bin thought to myself YES! The third game I pulled out was Earthbound. From that moment I was hooked.

I found some semi-decent stuff yesterday at Goodwill.

Super R-Type (SNES cart only) $1 - This one is actually better than semi-decent. Pretty good game.

TMNT Tournament Fighters (Genesis, cart and box, no instructions) $2 - I know the SNES version is superior but I also wanted the Geness version for awhile).

Checkered Flag (Atari Jaguar, box and cart, no instructions) $1 - I have no Jaguar, but for $1 I couldn't pass it up.

I'll take a pic later if I can find my camera.

[quote name='Resident Guru']Thanks! Yeah, when I looked at the bottom of that bin thought to myself YES! The third game I pulled out was Earthbound. From that moment I was hooked.[/quote]

I don't want to rain on your parade, but you got a savage deal, and if you expect to do much better you'll probably be disappointed... Just warning you. ;)

[quote name='intelli78']I don't want to rain on your parade, but you got a savage deal, and if you expect to do much better you'll probably be disappointed... Just warning you. ;)[/quote]

Yeah, I'm definitely not expecting that every outing. I know it will be rare. I'd been to the thrift stores about 15 times before I found even 1 classic RPG. The fun is just knowing that you never know what you may find.

[quote name='PINKO']For the Cash In Face how close do you put the cash in the face[/QUOTE]

When you do it, you actually punch the person in the face while said cash is in hand. When they recover they seen the cash.

That's how I'd do it anyway.

[quote name='Strell']When you do it, you actually punch the person in the face while said cash is in hand. When they recover they seen the cash.

That's how I'd do it anyway.[/quote]

or better yet i just punch the person to to death and take his stuff

[quote name='PINKO']For the Cash In Face how close do you put the cash in the face[/quote]
Not ridiculously close, just hold it out as if they had already accepted your offer and you were handing them the money normally. About 1/2-to-3/4 arms length.

[quote name='evilmax17']Not ridiculously close, just hold it out as if they had already accepted your offer and you were handing them the money normally. About 1/2-to-3/4 arms length.[/QUOTE]

you can trust max here, leading scientist in the field of garage saling

[quote name='GuilewasNK']

Super R-Type (SNES cart only) $1 - This one is actually better than semi-decent. Pretty good game.
[/QUOTE]

Great game, but pretty damn hard and unforgiving. I vaguely remember the third level beating me down savagely.

[quote name='evilmax17']Not ridiculously close, just hold it out as if they had already accepted your offer and you were handing them the money normally. About 1/2-to-3/4 arms length.[/QUOTE]

Evilmax is correct, but keep in mind timing and technique is everything with CIF. The real trick is to try and catch the seller off guard with your CIF offer

example:

Me: How much for the nintendo system?
Seller: $10 for everything

After the seller gives the price. I'll usually shoot a look like I'm not interested. Turn away and look at other stuff. Then I'll reach into my $5 pocket clutch the cash in hand then go back to the seller, Get their attention then whip out the cash and make my offer. "I'll give you $5 for the nintendo"

If you say "I'll give you $5" as opposed to "will you take $5" you may have more success. when you say 'I'll give you" you are in control of the tranaction, the seller gets a sense of that's all you are willing to pay. If you use the latter
you may get countered and the seller has the control. Technically the seller always has control, but depending on the situation you can get the advantage by choosing your words and actions carefully. It really helps to play all scenerios out in your head before you start any communication with a seller.

I'll admit that I still say "will you take" sometimes but it's just out of habit. The more of this you do the better you'll become at bargaining. It's kinda like some video games - once you get the controls down and learn the pattern your home free.

[quote name='Backlash']Great game, but pretty damn hard and unforgiving. I vaguely remember the third level beating me down savagely.[/QUOTE]

I have memories of the same thing. However there is a level select cheat

some great scores on my way home from the bank today, hit up about 10 sales and found these

--the original Mastermind -- 1972 -- Invicta -- complete and in great shape -- $.50

--Tales of Symphonia -- both discs, no case or instructions -- $0.50

--Animal Crossing -- gamecube, disc only -- $0.25

psyched about the Cube games, even though I have no time to play them.

Found a fat Playstation 1 with a PS1 dual shock controller for $3. I think it might be modded also because the guy was also selling burnt PS1 games.

So I scored another stack o' games today at the thrift store in the town I work in (not the same as my previous deal).

SNES all $1.99

Super Mario Kart x2
Super Mario All-Stars x2
StarFox
Donkey Kong Country x4
Donkey Kong Country 2
Super Mario World x2
Mega Man X
Killer Instinct
Paperboy 2
Micro Machines
Lord of the Rings
Sim City
Gradius III
Street Fighter II Turbo

N64 in great condition bundled w/2 controllers and 3 games for $14.99

Donkey Kong 64
Kobe Bryant NBA Courtside :cry:
WWF No Mercy

I originally just found the 64 and Super Mario World but as I was checking out I saw an old bag in the locked case, it had SNES games in it! It was full of them, so that's when I snagged all the others.

[quote name='snotknocker']Evilmax is correct, but keep in mind timing and technique is everything with CIF. The real trick is to try and catch the seller off guard with your CIF offer

example:

Me: How much for the nintendo system?
Seller: $10 for everything

After the seller gives the price. I'll usually shoot a look like I'm not interested. Turn away and look at other stuff. Then I'll reach into my $5 pocket clutch the cash in hand then go back to the seller, Get their attention then whip out the cash and make my offer. "I'll give you $5 for the nintendo"

If you say "I'll give you $5" as opposed to "will you take $5" you may have more success. when you say 'I'll give you" you are in control of the tranaction, the seller gets a sense of that's all you are willing to pay. If you use the latter
you may get countered and the seller has the control. Technically the seller always has control, but depending on the situation you can get the advantage by choosing your words and actions carefully. It really helps to play all scenerios out in your head before you start any communication with a seller.

I'll admit that I still say "will you take" sometimes but it's just out of habit. The more of this you do the better you'll become at bargaining. It's kinda like some video games - once you get the controls down and learn the pattern your home free.[/quote]

that type of plan i wash think of kinda seem unintrested in the item then CIF the person

and its always better to demand then ask

Someone is advertising "arcade games" in the paper.

You can damn well bet I'm going there to see whats up...

Better not be like...Blitz or some shit.

[quote name='Strell']Someone is advertising "arcade games" in the paper.

You can damn well bet I'm going there to see whats up...

Better not be like...Blitz or some shit.[/quote]

whats wrong with blitz

[quote name='PINKO']that type of plan i wash think of kinda seem unintrested in the item then CIF the person

and its always better to demand then ask[/QUOTE]

Say what?

[quote name='snotknocker']Say what?[/quote]

SORRY
what i ment to say was that what i was thinking about doing what you said(act unintrested) and its always better to ask then demand

Hit up a yard sale today - no games - only thing interesting was a stack of around 15 garfield books - until the lady said she wanted $5 PER BOOK - and then she tried to tell me how "good" of a deal it was .....

Last time I found some at a flea market, I got 3 for $1.

first day out went to 9 sales

what we Got saw DVD missing book thing $!

Jet Moto Complete $.75

Sealed Sega Dreamcast web browser $.50

An Ilegal Blackblox from early 90s $1.00

New Expensive Chrismas Lightsx3 $3.00

4 Original Bond tapesm sealed $4.00

some cool looking monkey doll $2

Beatle Juice Creepy Crusier Complete $2 from the 1990

SOME OLD Madame alexander Dolls $3
(which aparently have good ebay value)

all in all it was a good day

Slow yard saling today. I hit about a dozen sales and made a few decent scores.

Sega Genesis System w/ cords & controller
Valis
Golden Axe II
2 sports titles
Paid $2

The Sopranos Season One DVD
The Sopranos Season Two DVD
Paid $15, Wanted $20 I offered $15. The family was distant cousins, so they were happy to sell to me.

Alice in Chains "Jar of Flies" CD
Paid $0.50

Good luck to everyone in their yard saling.

I didn't find too much. I wish I could have gone out yesterday.

Sealed SNES superpad by interact $1
Mortal Kombat II in pga golf case $0.25

[quote name='Resident Guru']So I scored another stack o' games today at the thrift store in the town I work in (not the same as my previous deal).

SNES all $1.99

Super Mario Kart x2
Super Mario All-Stars x2
StarFox
Donkey Kong Country x4
Donkey Kong Country 2
Super Mario World x2
Mega Man X
Killer Instinct
Paperboy 2
Micro Machines
Lord of the Rings
Sim City
Gradius III
Street Fighter II Turbo

N64 in great condition bundled w/2 controllers and 3 games for $14.99

Donkey Kong 64
Kobe Bryant NBA Courtside :cry:
WWF No Mercy

I originally just found the 64 and Super Mario World but as I was checking out I saw an old bag in the locked case, it had SNES games in it! It was full of them, so that's when I snagged all the others.[/quote]

Okay dude. I retract my previous comment. You are the winner. :D

10004193zy.jpg

Another poor outing overall for me this week. But i managed to get a couple of things

Vectrex Arcade System
Works perfectly and is in great cosmetic condition. No burn out on the screen.
Asked for games at this sale and the lady pulled this out of her garage. I offered $2 which she did'nt even hesitate on.

Starsky and Hutch jigsaw puzzle (circa 1976)
Donald Duck Bank (circa 1967?)
Bambino Boxing tabletop game ( excellent condition functions perfectly)
Total .75
This stuff was all on a table marked "anything on table .25'

Genesis cart only
lethal enforcers
NBA Jam
total.25
Only 2 games at this sale when I asked how she said .25 so I scoffed up LE and was gonna pass on the other game since i have like 5 or 6 copies already. After I gave her the .25 she offered up the NBA Jam free.

Silent Hill PS2 complete and with minty disc
Total $1
Mixed in with a buch of cheesy DVD's. as I was looking through the box the lady say's $1 for anything in that box.

also scored an original Nintendo players guide in excellent condition .25 and a slew of music CD's for .25 a piece

awwwwwwww you only got a Vectrex? damn that sucks, God must hate you :whistle2:( :lol:

didn't look too much but stopped at Goodwill and found:

--Bubble Bobble Old and New -- sealed -- $4.99
--Sega Pods board game

1 Nintendo 64 (all hookups, memory expansion, original jumper pack + removal tool)
2 official N64 controllers (loose sticks)
1 third part N64 controller (loose stick)
1 N64-GB Transfer Pack
1 F-1 World Grand Prix (N64, complete)
1 Pokemon Snap (N64, complete)
1 Donkey Kong 64 (N64, complete)
1 Madden 2001 (N64, complete)
1 NBA In The Zone (N64, cart + box)
1 Mario Kart 64 (N64, cart + manual)
1 Mario Golf (N64, cart + manual)
1 Mario Party (N64, cart + manual)
1 Mario Party 2 (N64, cart + manual)
1 Pokemon Stadium (N64, cart + manual)
1 Madden 99 (N64, cart + manual)
1 NBA Courtside (N64, cart + manual)
1 Penny Racers (N64, cart + manual)
1 Bass Hunter 64 (N64, cart only)
1 Super Mario 64 (N64, cart only)
1 Fox Sports College Hoops 99 (N64, cart only)
Assorted manuals
Paid: FREE

1 Final Fantasy VIII (PS1, missing manual and disk 4)
Paid: 50 cents

1 Clue (GEN, complete)
Paid: 25 cents

1 Star Wars X-Wing 3.5 floppy version (PC, complete)
1 Star Wars X-Wing guide

1 Cruisin' Exotica (N64, cart only)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today was humbling.

68 sales total today. We think it's a new personal record for us, but we haven't dug through the archives yet to check. It was a beautiful day, so there were tons of unadvertised sales. FFVIII and Clue were our only finds until noon. I forgot that FFVIII had 4 disks, probably wouldn't have bought it if I had remembered pre-purchase.

Whenever moiety and I go saling, we usually go to the same towns in the same order. This week we decided to switch it up, because some of our usually later towns looked a lot better than our typical early towns. So we went to all of our same towns but in a different order, thinking we'd get a lot more bang for our buck. We made a mistake.

The towns that we went to first that looked great turned out to be really crappy. By the time we got to our normally early towns, we got a bunch of "Oh we just sold that stuff, and for really cheap too!" It was pretty crushing to hear that house after house, especially since if we had stuck to our usual gameplan we would've gotten them. We were pretty down all day, swearing to ourselves that we had learned our lesson and that we wouldn't deviate from the usual plan again. "The bargain gods are teaching us a lesson!", and that they surely did, but they were nice enough to throw us a bone so we wouldn't be too discouraged.

We got the free N64 lot at noon after asking at a sale with young kids. First they brought out some crappy PSX games which we declined, and then the neighbor brought over a crate of N64 stuff. After we were looking at it for a few seconds, she says "You know what? You can just take that. Nobody ever plays it anymore." It was just the thing we needed to pick up our spirits. Most of the cart-only games were in plastic VHS boxes, and all of the N64 controllers have busted analog sticks, so we'll probably toss them. Getting this stuff after the crappy day we had felt like getting a half-court shot at the buzzer.

We got the Crusin cart at 4PM on the way to the supermarket. That's a crazy late sale!

We passed on a NES with 5 extremely common games. Offered $2 on it and were rebuffed, so we walked. We also found a Genesis 2 with Sonic 2 asking $5, offered $2 and was countered with $3. We passed.

Hope everyone else had a good day!

Nintendo 64 w/ AV cables no power adaptor
Snowboard Kids (cart only)
Dr. Mario 64 (cart only)
Yoshi's story (cart only)
Gamecube controller (loose analog stick)
Paid: FREE

Atari 2600 (Very good condition) w/all hookups + original box
3 controllers
Missile Command
Defender
Video Pinball
Super Breakout
Paid: $15

Genesis 1 w/ power cord no AV
4 controllers
Revenge of Shinobi
Dr. Robotnik's Bean Machine
Dracula
Ms. Pacman
Super Monaco GP
Joe Montana's NFL Football 94
Taz-mania
Dick Tracy
NBA Jam
Sonic 1
3 SNES Controllers
4 SNES AC Adaptors
1 SNES A/V cable
1 N64 AC Adaptor
1 N64 Controller with 3rd party memory unit
1 N64 RF Adaptor

Speaking of free N64s, I got one too today, Walked up to a yardsale that was all boxes laying out on his driveway, spotted an n64 console with a gamecube controller, 3 games (Dr. Mario, Yoshi's Story, Snowboard kids), AV hookup and some random cables. I picked up the box and the guy running the sale says to me just take it, my son got it when he was in the hospital last year, but I have no use for it, we play xbox here. No power cable tho so I was a little bit bummed, I figured I'd find one sooner or later...

After that sale I headed down the street, older couple running a sale in a really nice area (koi pond outside of their gated probably 4000+sqft house lol). Spotted a mint atari 2600 with hookups and good condition original box, asked how much, he responded $25. This being the first time I've seen an atari I was willing to spend a bit more considering I had purchased games a few months ago in hopes I'd find the system. I was like, "Ugh, I don't have that much money on me, how about $15?" they gladly accepted. Rats should've offered less lol. No biggie tho, for the condition of the system, 15 dollars seemed reasonable.

Last sale I hit was at a townhouse complex run by a unkempt man. He had a ton of a/v adaptors, controllers, power adaptors (Got my N64 power adaptor!), unlicenced memory cards (probably like 40 for n64 alone). I asked if he had any more game stuff, he brought out a genesis 1 with power adaptor but no a/v cable with 9 boxed games, I asked him how much for the genesis lot, he wanted 20 which I repeated in a surprised tone. He lowered to 15, which I thought was still high. So I gathered up all of his cables/controllers/power adaptors, basically all his game odds and ends and gave him 20. Now I can pick up cableless SNES's and make em complete :D

So all in all, it was an okay day, pricier than last week (spent 1.50 last week on a genesis 1 no power cord and a power glove game) but now I have some more complete systems to play so I can't complain. I'll post up pics once I clean everything up.

50 sales and all i found was n64 controler and snes controler for 1.00 oh well always next week. but did get some 8.96 games from cc so i am happy

Went to a thrift store yesterday and picked up the following:

Genesis games:
Toe Jam & Earl (case and cart) - $2
Toe Jam & Earl: Panic On Funkotron (complete) - $2
Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster's Hidden Treasure (complete) - $2

Gameboy:
Super Mario Land 2 (cart and plastic case) - $3

Plug-in Play:
Namco 5-in-1 - $3

I was extremely happy with the Toe Jam & Earl finds as I had been searching for nice, cheap versions of those games for awhile.

[quote name='shipwreck']Went to a thrift store yesterday and picked up the following:

Genesis games:
Toe Jam & Earl (case and cart) - $2
Toe Jam & Earl: Panic On Funkotron (complete) - $2
Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster's Hidden Treasure (complete) - $2

Gameboy:
Super Mario Land 2 (cart and plastic case) - $3

Plug-in Play:
Namco 5-in-1 - $3

I was extremely happy with the Toe Jam & Earl finds as I had been searching for nice, cheap versions of those games for awhile.[/QUOTE]

Great find on the Toe Jam & Earl!

there was a Garage/Moving sale that was going on last weekend. I miss it because of work :(

the sale was pretty close to where I live, and the guy mentioned everything was free after 12pm. I believe they had a working Sega Saturn w/ games and a working NES w/ games.

damn. :)

Saturday was pretty bare around me. I have a loop I run and if there are less sales than normal (I know what good/normal is from running that loop for a year+) I don't bother branching out farther.

But I did pick up a very nice desk chair for $10. Been needing one for a while and nearly went to Staples to pick up one they had on sale for $40 last week. Dude said he bought it for $60 from a guy who paid $600 or so for it and he'd let me have it for $10. (To me it looked like a $200 or so MSRP chair, I really don't think it was $600 originally.) Always great to actually find something you were going to buy anyway.

Decided to just pack it in after that (10 AM or so) and relax the rest of the day. :mrgreen:

Didn't find jack on Saturday, only saw a couple of extremely scratched PS1 games that definitely would not work. Gave up at 1230 and stopped for lunch and then at 140 I passed one of the rare yard sales that last late and found the following...

Sega CD Complete in BOX 25$
Sega 32X and Base System (Street of Rage 2 edition) complete in box 10$
Sega CD Lethal Enforcers I w/gun complete in Box 2$
Sega CD Lethal Enforcers II Complete 2$
Sega CD Ground Zero Texas missing Disc 1 1$
Final Fight CD Complete 2$
Box of Random Stuff 5$ included
1 NES Controller
4 6-button Genesis Controller
1 Genesis with all hookups
1 SNES with all Hookups
TMNT Hyperstone Heist Genesis Cart Only
Power Rangers Genesis Cart Only
Some extra Genesis and NES Cables

TOTAL 47$

Not bad for that late in the day.

Picked this up yesterday from a guy I met at a yardsale on Saturday. It was like a multi family sale and this guy said he had a box at home and he would bring it Sunday.

So I stopped by Sunday and got

Sega Genesis 1 w/Sega CD all hookups and 1 controlller a little dusty but tested and works fine

games all complete except 1 missing original box
college football
madden 95
sub terrania
LHX chopper attack
Golden Axe 2
Lemmings Tribes
Risk
Altered Beast
Star Trek
Madden 94
Castle of Illusion
madden 93
Sonic 2
lemmings

I asked him how much for all and he came back with make me an offer. I said I'll give you $5 (not CIF) and he was like how bout $15? I replied with all I can go is $5 (mind you not showing much interest in the goods). He caved and took the fin.

i had an ok time.. since i was in a different place then normal i didn't know all the streets too well past maybe 10-20 sales only video games i came across were

Final Doom
The next Tetris
Frogger 2
Namco Museum vol 1
All complete for the PS1 discs are pristine.

for a buck a piece..

No YS'ing for me this week, as I'm gonna be at our family's annual yard sale. I did so well at the pawn shops this week that I can afford a break on the yard sales. I managed to find:
- Friends Seasons 1-9 DVD $8.00 each
- James Bond Collection DVD Volumes 1,2, and 3 $125 total
- Dawson's Creek Season 1 $7
- Crank Yankers Season 1 $8
- Fantastic 4 Animated Series, Dukes of Hazzard Seasons 2 &3, Will & Grace Season 3 $29 Total
- Zelda Ocarina of Time/Master Quest GC $10
- Full Metal Alchemist 2 PS2/Resident Evil 4 GC $18 total
- Baldur's Gate 2 PS2, X-Men 3 Official Game PS2, 25 to Life PS2, & Zelda Collector's Edition GC $25 Total
- Super Mario Advance 2GBA & Mario Party 7 GC $18 Total
- Nintendogs Dachshund & Friends & Animal Crossing DS $20 Total

Hopefully, I'll be able to spread the love as I'm selling a complete NES, SNES, & Genny for about $5-10 each, and some cheap games for $0.50 each. Good luck to everybody this week.

bread's done
Back