OFFICIAL 2006 Yard Sale Thread

Omega Race (2600) - .25

Guy said a dollar I counter offered .25 and he took

Haunted House (2600)
Mario Bros. (2600)
Maze Craze: A Game of Cops 'n Robbers (2600)
Zaxxon (Coleco Vision)
Night Stalker (Intellivison)
Tron Deadly Discs (Intellivision)
Goal! (NES)
Little Nemo The Dream Master (NES)
$3

I saw a tub with 3 Atari systems, abunch of accesories & about 30-40 games with a tag that said $26 when I asked about it the guy said he just bought it from someone else selling at the flea market. I asked him if he'd be willing to sell afew out of it and he said he would. I picked out six games and he said he'd give them to me for $3 which I didn't even try to offer any lower as I though it was fair after letting me cherry pick afew games I was mostly interested. I was talking to him for afew minutes and he was telling me how some of his family members have lots of old games and that he stopped bringing retroish type games to this flea market when he does sell at it since they didn't really sell very well then he went into a box under his table and gave me the two NES games and said I could have them and that they have too many NES games has it is. I asked him if he noticed anyone else selling any older games and he told me about the people which I ended up buying the NES, SNES & Genesis games from.

NES Games
Mike Tyson's Punch Out
Magic of Scheherazade
Back To The Future II & III
Robocop III
Spy vs Spy
Xevious
Home Alone
Ghost 'N Goblins
Super Pitfall
Tiny Toon Adventures 2
Shatterhand
Micro Machines

SNES
Clayfighter Tournament Edition
Drakkhen
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV Turtles In Time

Genesis - Cart Only
The Humans
Steel Empire
Ghouls 'N Ghosts
Contra Hard Corps
Gunstar Heroes
Shinning Force II
Grind Stormer
Ys III
Toe Jame & Earl II: Panic In Funkotron
Super Thunder Blade
Sword of Vermilion

Genesis - Case & Game
Double Dragon 3
Mortal Kombat

Genesis - Complete
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Tournament Fighters
Revenge of Shinobi, The
Gauntlet IV
Amazing Spiderman vs. Kingpin (Sega CD)
$32

Had abunch of games mostly 8 & 16-bit stuff. Had a sign up that said $2 a game or 3 for 5 for the retro stuff and also offered to sell at a buck a game if I bought ten or more.

Hit one sale on sunday on my way to help a friend fix his replica hoverboard that he broke when he was drunk. Picked up:
Genesis Model 1 (no hookups again :bomb:)
Fantasia (Boxed, no instructions)
World Series Baseball (boxed, no instructions)
NHL 94 (Complete)
Mortal Kombat (cart only)
WWF Super Wrestlemania (cart only)

Kid running the sale wanted 10 bucks, I said astonished "10 bucks?" He said how about 5, I could live with that considering the money was apparently going to pay for his dog's operation. He also said he would be selling his Nintendo soon, so I might have to watch for that sale.

But the best part was that the friend I was helping said he'd try to find me his old gameboy pocket along with like 10-20 games (some still sealed) that he got from his sister in law 10 or so years ago. That'd be a nice score.

Had a pretty good haul this weekend.

Sega CD Complete with Double Switch disc only - 5.00
Sword of Vermillion complete with hint book - .25
Zelda: Link to the Past SNES Cart Only- .25
TMNT NES Complete - .50
Altered Beast Complete - .25
FF VII Non-GH No Manual - 2.50
Bases Loaded 2 NES Complete - .50
Forgotten World Genesis Complete - .25

and the crown jewel.

Earthbound Cart Only - .25

[quote name='smaaug']Had a pretty good haul this weekend.

Sega CD Complete with Double Switch disc only - 5.00
Sword of Vermillion complete with hint book - .25
Zelda: Link to the Past SNES Cart Only- .25
TMNT NES Complete - .50
Altered Beast Complete - .25
FF VII Non-GH No Manual - 2.50
Bases Loaded 2 NES Complete - .50
Forgotten World Genesis Complete - .25

and the crown jewel.

Earthbound Cart Only - .25[/quote]
Nice finds.

That's the fourth Non-GH FFVII reported in this thread this weekend. Funny how luck works out sometimes!

got a nes with all hookups for 5 had about 10 games and a ps1 steering wheel for 1 still in box so i was happy
the nes had alot of kids games but all where boxxed and complete so i cant complain

I find that I come across lots of things of various prices. I really sometimes don't know what to pickup, because it might not be worth it or I am short of cash. maybe we could start a thread with things that are worth spending money on.

I usually come across tons of Nes carts. I pick them up if they are 3 bucks or less. I have some of the rarer ones commited to memory. But I recently passed up a boxed 5200 for about 10 bucks, which was a big mistake. also passed on a sega with sega cd and 32x for about 30 bucks with all connections.

some interesting finds at the salvation army today--

--2 official Saturn controllers

--Factory sealed, brand new Star Fox :D Has tight shrinkwrap, a hanger tag and no damage!\

Total: $15

I have a question for you guys. Do you hit more individual sales or association sales? I have some luck at both, but I don't usually get much. I usually only hit the NE side of town, but that is usually enough. One thing I'm thinking is that my area isn't a good one for video games. There hardly seems to be any. Guess video games aren't that popular in the midwest.

I really should do some research on antiques and old records. I've seen a lot of these.

[quote name='erehwon']I have a question for you guys. Do you hit more individual sales or association sales? I have some luck at both, but I don't usually get much. I usually only hit the NE side of town, but that is usually enough. One thing I'm thinking is that my area isn't a good one for video games. There hardly seems to be any. Guess video games aren't that popular in the midwest.

I really should do some research on antiques and old records. I've seen a lot of these.[/quote]

I hit all of them. I have a GPS for my car, and I plot all the addresses and hit them one by one. I know what I'm looking for, so I can usually be in and out of a sale in less than a minute if nothing interesting is there. If I see some interesting things, I take my time and make sure I go over everything with a fine tooth comb to make sure I am not missing something valueable. As for records, I am starting to learn records right now.. VERY big money in the right records. I sold a "THE SMITHS - What Difference Does It Make PROMO 45" for $30 to someone in the UK, I paid 25 cents for it. I didn't know anything about records at that time other than The Smiths were collectible.. and promo records are harder to come by.. so I snagged it.

Went into Goodwill today and left with the following for $7:

- N64 Console w/ cables, 2 official controllers and expansion graphic pack
- Olive Green Metroid Prime 2 "Universal Bounty Hunters" T-shirt.

This weekend I'm heading to Nashville to hopefully score something:)

^Lucky you! My goodwill never has anything good/cheap anymore, most old nintendo/sega/sony playstation systems are always at least $20 and have something missing. :( I wish I could find an expansion pak, I bought a grey N64 for $7.50 at another thrift store missing the controller!

Got these at garage sales this past weekend:

Genesis 1 Model ( both controllers are shot, missing rf adapter)
NES RF Adapter
Streets of Rage 2
Altered Beast
Ghouls 'N' Ghosts
Saint Sword
Golden Axe
Tiny Toons Adventures: Buster Busts Loose!
Aladdin
Mortal Kombat
Mortal Kombat II
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Sonic the Hedgehog
Joe Montana Sports Talk Football
Tommy Lasorda Baseball
NBA Jam T.E. (x2)
NBA Live 95
NHLPA Hockey
NHL 96

Total: $5

Pac Man Arcade Machine (circa 1981) - $5
N64 Camera - $.20
DDR Max w/ripped Mad Catz dance pad (not shown) - $6

Total: $11.20

God of the mind, does that sega have the switch in the back to change the channel to 3 or 4, mine seems to be missing it , though it has the slot for it. I cant seem to get the games to play on my sega. I used both the nes RF and ac adapter it powers up and the screen gets messy, but nothing, not even a blinking screen. I tried an official sega rf for that model, but still nothing.

Another great Goodwill haul. Here is the list, all $.50 each:

NES
- Dragon Warrior
- Lolo 2
- Ninja Gaiden
- Super C (Super Contra I think)
- Wizardry
- Adventure Island
- Phantom Fighter
- Burai Fighter
- Abadox
- Alpha Mission
- Double Dragon
- Spiderman vs. The Sinister Six
- Jaws
- Jackal
- TMNT Manhattan Project
- Back to the Future
- The Simpsons: Bart vs. The World
- Sky Shark

I also got a Tim Duncan "Team USA" Jersey #13 (I think it was from one of the good teams:p

[quote name='neudog']Another great Goodwill haul. Here is the list, all $.50 each:

NES
- Dragon Warrior
- Lolo 2
- Ninja Gaiden
- Super C (Super Contra I think)
- Wizardry
- Adventure Island
- Phantom Fighter
- Burai Fighter
- Abadox
- Alpha Mission
- Double Dragon
- Spiderman vs. The Sinister Six
- Jaws
- Jackal
- TMNT Manhattan Project
- Back to the Future
- The Simpsons: Bart vs. The World
- Sky Shark
[/QUOTE]

Damn, that's nice . . . I love it when they mark games low (even .99 is sweet).

Too often they are priced at $2.99 :whistle2:(

Super C is Contra 2

[quote name='cyrix`']God garage sales are gold mines...[/QUOTE]
When you're lucky, they are. You also need to be in the right area. The midwest sucks for games.

I did find Super R-Type today for $2.

I hit up one association sale this morning. Got a P3 computer for $5. On the same street, I found a sale run by a guy with a ton of legos. These were mostly star wars kits. Some of them, a large rebel blockade runner and an x-wing were marked for $175. He said those were rare. They were quite nice, even still had the boxes. I also picked up Myst 3 for 50 cents.

[quote name='ajumbaje']do you all find about yard sales on craigslist? or just papers or what?[/quote]
Get a list of all of the newspapers in your area (don't forget the supermarket freebies!). Check to see if any of them have websites (a surprising amount do), and then check the websites for a Classifieds section. I have two local newspaper websites that list most of the sales.

CL is okay too, but not my first recommendation.

The neat thing about CL is that you can email the people running the sale. I send out a standard email inquiring about video games and Legos. When I get a "no" response, I strike that sale from the list, so that's just one less sale we even bother checking, meaning more time for other, potentially more fruitful sales.

I picked up a Tiger Electronics Double Dragon II LCD game for 50 cents today from Goodwill. It's missing the battery cover, and one of the buttons seems stuck, but I think I can fix it.

1 Super Mario 64 (N64, cart only)
1 Charlie Blast's Territory (N64, cart only)
1 Tecmo Bowl (NES, cart only)
Paid: $1

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's been downpouring all day. We're talking "build an ark" rain.

We went to 1 sale today. There was this annual town sale that was supposed to be big, and they were holding it rain-or-shine. They had a bunch of tarps set up overhead, but it wasn't enough to keep everything dry. Everything was soaked by the time we left. Tons of old boardgames turned into soggy cardboard, tons of random electronics rendered useless. It's really a shame.

We got the only videogames in the entire place. Moiety offered 75 cents, the guy shot back with $3, and they went back and forth until $1 was agreed on. 1 sale, 1 purchase, 1 dollar.

I hope this means that next week will be ridiculously busy.

Went to about 15 sales today, the majority had no video games. But some did so I got the following :

Everything is complete

$3 Xbox - SW Episode 3
$3 Xbox - Mercenaries

$.5 PC - Police Quest - Open Season
$1 PC - Roller Coaster Tycoon Loopy Landscapes and Corkscrew Follies Expansion 2 pack (unopened)
$2 Gen - Lion King
$2 Gen - Hook

I was really happy to find all these games complete. Also stopped by some estate sales to find some really old non video game stuff, like sythes, sickles and giant tree saws.

Heh, here's something random. I just went upstairs to make lunch, and I find this in the living room.

It's an official GBA SP box that they use to ship systems to stores. My dad must've gotten something from ebay, and that's what they shipped it in. The box has Nintendo Headquarters in WA and everything. (There aren't any Gameboys in the box ;))

Random, but neat!

^now that's something you don't normally see everyday in the mail must have been harsh getting you're hopes up on a new GBA SP, it would have been for me! I think as a joke someone on Ebay should use an Xbox 360 box that stores get or other expensive videogame box and send something else, oh how cruel would that be for someone to see an Xbox 360 box and open it to be filled with socks! :)

On-topic I picked up for Nes Mike Tyson's Punch Out for $0.99, cart only not too bad since I couldn't even find the regular Punch-Out in other thirft stores.

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']^now that's something you don't normally see everyday in the mail must have been harsh getting you're hopes up on a new GBA SP, it would have been for me! I think as a joke someone on Ebay should use an Xbox 360 box that stores get or other expensive videogame box and send something else, oh how cruel would that be for someone to see an Xbox 360 box and open it to be filled with socks! :)

On-topic I picked up for Nes Mike Tyson's Punch Out for $0.99, cart only not too bad since I couldn't even find the regular Punch-Out in other thirft stores.[/quote]

Nice! Great game to this day.

Only had time to check out 1 sale today but still managed to snag something.

Game & Watch Gallery 2 (GB Cart Only) - $0.50

Hope everyone else out there got some nice pick-ups today.

Another incredible Saturday morning...

PlayStation RPG Treasure Trove
Gran Turismo
Wild Arms
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VII GH extra 3rd disc
FInal Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy IX
Wild Arms 2
Final Fantasy Origins
Metal Gear Solid
Legend of Mana
Final Fantasy V (FF Anthology)
Chrono Cross

WWF War Zone
Final Fantasy Tactics
X-Men Mutant Academy
Tenchu 2
Need for Speed: Porche Unleashed
Bust-a-Move 2
Armored Core
Armored Core: Master of Arena
Lunar 2 Eternal Blue: Complete
and.... drumroll please...
Valkyrie Profile
all disc only
Paid = $25

N64, console with expansion pack, power, RF
Paid = $4
Digital thermometer
Paid = $1

There not many sales here in town (only 2 in fact), so I convinced my friend that she and I should go together to the next town, which had 10-15 advertised this week.

We were supposed to meet at 7:45, but she didn't wake up (ulgh), despite me calling and banging on her door. So I went to the 2 sales in town alone, which were crap. Finally I call her again at 9, and she apologizes, so finally we're off to the next town over (which is smaller and in severe decline, but that's another issue).

I had one sale in mind that had advertised "Playstation and PS II" games. When we got there, the only thing left was Tekken Tag Greatest Hits for $5. No thank you. I was kinda disappointed, since somebody had obviously gotten there first.

We went to some other mostly old lady sales. (Honestly, if you have less than 25 pounds worth of stuff, you shouldn't be allowed to have a yard sale.)

We finally hit a sale run by a middle-aged man. I spotted some electronics -- a PSX racing wheel, a computer monitor, and some computer parts -- as I walked up to the house, and said to my friend, "This looks promising." Looked around a bit more and all he had was a few computer games, mostly kids' titles.

I ask: "Do you have any more videogame stuff besides what you have out?"
Man: "Well, I have a complete Playstation with controllers and stuff inside."
Me: "Do you have any games for that?"
Man: "Yeah, I do, hold on a minute."
"I got a good feeling!" -FFT
He brings out a CD spindle full of discs. On top was X-Men, which was not very promising. As I start looking through, I find some Final Fantasy...
Me: "How much do you want for each game?"
Man: "Mmm... $3 each"
good... more FF... very good... then I hit Valkyrie Profile. At that point, I just ask: "How much for the whole spindle?"
He thinks for what seemed like a good minute and then responded, "$25"
Couldn't grab my wallet quick enough :D

Sadly all are disc-only, but that doesn't hamper my joy any. I've been looking for Legend of Mana for a long time. Also, I figured out this week that I'm missing a couple PSX FFs (that's what I get for lending them out... grr!!), namely FFT, FF4, FF6, and Chrono Cross disc 1. Finding out that I was missing so many games really pissed me off, but this find will fill in a few holes.

The N64 came from a pretty run-down house. They had a complete NES for $15, which I passed on. I noticed a $5.99 sticker on the N64 which I thought was a strange price for a yard sale. I offer them $4 for it and they take it. After I got it in the car, I realized it's the sticker the local Goodwill uses, and maybe not the price they wanted... oh well. $4 isn't too bad, I think.

I just realized the FF8 and 9 I picked up are incomplete. doh! Oh well, still a very agreeable find :)

Where's everyone else's catches for the day? I've been refreshing to find no new posts!

Went to about 10 sales, didn't find crap. I'm really disappointed, too, because the first place I went was a little farther away than I normally drive. I went there first because the guy actually advertised ps1 and ps2 games for sale. But when I got there (at about 8:15) there was no evidence of a sale. No signs, car in the driveway and garage door closed, no one outside. :(

Here was his ad:
I used to sell on ebay and have tons of misc items, collectibles, pool table(nice 500.00), hot wheels(300+), johhny lightnings, kids toys including step 2 little tikes and others.. all kinds of bulk items and just a amazing amount of STUFF! If you like to garage sale shop then this is one to put on your list to check out. Some furniture , but nothing besides tables and other misc furniture. ps2 and ps1 games and some Elvis newspaper articles and other goodies. Also a schwinn bicycle listed already and a bunch of good name brand tools , few snap on and craftsman , mac, craftsman toolbox 7 drawer(50.00 nice) and you name and I prob. have it ! address is 6618 Duffield Dr. Dallas, Tx. 75248 in the area of Preston rd. and campbell rd. hours are on Saturday around 8 am to ? and Sunday the same most likely close earlier on Sunday! I will make the DEALS GOOD because this stuff has to find a new home ....

found a silent hill strategy book .50
dirty harry nes
shooting gallery nes
battle tank nes
all three for .50
kotor for xbox for 5.00
10 cds for total of 5.00

tool-laterus
red hot chilie greates hits
skid row-greatest hits ( i am a big 80's metal fan)
everclear-greates hits
bon jovi-greatest hits
nirvanna-greatest hits
offspring- the first one
metallica-ride the lighting
metallica-and justice for all
audio slave

not bad for 3 hours, wish more games but happy with cds and guide book

PS1- X-men Mutant Academy 2 - $1.00
Snes- Illusion of Gaia $2.00

Not a great day. Didn't run into much at all.
Last week I saw a Turbo Grafix 16 for.............$100.00......No thanks.

Dark clouds loomed overhead this morning, I was afraid it was going to rain (weather channel predicted 40% chance), but I took my chances and headed out anyways. I hit probably around 40 sales this morning there were 2 large street sales that I hit and a couple other single family sales as well. The first few houses had no VG stuff, the first street sale is where I made my first of two buys:

This lady had quite a few N64 games, probably around 25-30 no sports (except mario golf), she said she sold the system earlier in the morning along with zelda so I thought the bin would be picked through, to my luck it wasn't, so I snagged paper mario, pilotwings, Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (w/manual), Mario Kart (w/ manual) and Bomberman: the 2nd attack (w/ manual). She wanted 3/10 bucks, I offered her 5/10 which she accepted, looking back I probably shouldve tried to snag the whole lot, but whatever, the only thing I remember that I really shouldve grabbed was conker's bad fur day.

I also picked up Bubsy complete for genesis for 2 bucks (she wanted 4 per game lol) for I don't know why really, I was contemplating picking up all her genesis stuff (12 or so complete games, none noteworthy, thats why I passed) and a model 1 with all hookups and 2 controllers.

I hit up a very large street sale next (25-30 houses) but the only thing I snagged was this:

Gameboy printer with paper and 6 AA batteries, powered on all good. I asked how much she wanted, 10 dollars! lol I CIFed her a buck after saying its missing a cable, she accepted.

That's all I scored this week. Next weekend is this annual 100+ house sale that I'm going to, I hope to pick up an NES there.

tomorrow I'm picking up a complete ActRaiser 1, Mike Tyson's Punch Out and some weird double ended Atari 2600 games probably for around $10 total.

I have not found a damn thing in the past four days.. nothing! Not even a book! Saw a bunch of NES games at the thrift store today, but they were all junk sports titles, and super mario brothers. Over 12 games.. Nothing good!

Hopefully this coming week is good!

Well I went to Nashville yesterday and I only scored one thing which I think is a good deal, Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos $2.49 + tax. When I first saw the box I thought it was WoW, but upon closer inspection I was wrong:p I thought the price was extremely low for being at Goodwill because they usually jack prices up on Target donations. This suspision led to the checkout lady telling me the sticker was for books. I didn't question her because I know that Goodwill is transitioning to a new "Sticker" format and you can see items are coded differently, but she did give me the game for the sticker price:)

NES with All Cables
BattleToads
Hogans Alley
SMB3
Mario Bros/Duck Hunt
Rad Racer 2
Tetris
One other game i forget as i had to stash it in the basement for a day or two
Paid:5 dollars

well the bad part is that there were random cables from other systems in the box such as XBOX which he said he had sold some other systems a little earlier which sucked. Picked up a stack of sealed puzzles my mom had been looking at for 5 dollars. would have been about 60 dollars at target. 38 sales hit in one of the nicer communities here. So yeah..bummed out for lack of what i found. Last sale of the day though, lady gave me warcraft 1 PC for free. Good luck to all of you!

[quote name='T-Shirt Ninja'] I probably shouldve tried to snag the whole lot,
[/QUOTE]

Nice pick up!

Some CAG advice, study the tips for the cash in face technique, it's very very effective. If you look through this years and last years thread you'll see examples of really decent scores using this technique. This was a perfect opportunity for you to potentially walk off with all of those games for a ridiculous price.

Flea MArket
Not much today.
I picked up..
Silent Hill 1 (Disk Only)
Mario/Duck Hunt (cart only)
Sonic 1 & 2 strategy guide
Sonic & Knuckles strategy guide.
If anyone has any ideas how much they're worth, PM me or something, thanks.

as i posted earlier--

got ActRaiser -- box and game only (gonna order instructions on ebay) -- $4

--Tyson's Punch out -- $3

--Atari 2600 "Xonox double ender" games -- $5 total
---Artillery Duel/ Chuck Norris Superkicks
---Artillery Duel/Spike's Peak (R7 on Digit press!)

[quote name='snotknocker']Nice pick up!

Some CAG advice, study the tips for the cash in face technique, it's very very effective. If you look through this years and last years thread you'll see examples of really decent scores using this technique. This was a perfect opportunity for you to potentially walk off with all of those games for a ridiculous price.[/quote]

Read them over right now. I've got to get more variety in my bills, I usually carry 20s and lots of loonies ($1 coins for you US folk who don't know lol), I need to get my mom to break down my big bills at her bank then eh.

My main difficulty is determining what a decent price is on a lot. I guess the more sales I go to the easier it'll become. I usually try to gain some rapport before I make my offer so they feel like its going to someone who's friendly.

[quote name='T-Shirt Ninja']I usually try to gain some rapport before I make my offer so they feel like its going to someone who's friendly.[/quote]
Always a good strategy! :)

bread's done
Back