OFFICIAL 2006 Yard Sale Thread

DAMN - that is a seriously hot find - how much did you have to drop for all of that?

I went to school yardsale today - nothing game related, but I found a G1 Soundwave in good shape for $0.25

[quote name='moiety']Snot, you never cease to amaze! :)[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I still amaze myself sometimes.

Just a little advice to all you new yardsalers. Check out last years thread there are plenty of great tips in the first post to help fine tune your yard sale game, and especially remember to ask if you do not see any gaming related stuff cause the next big score could be sitting in somebody's house. Don't get discouraged you will eventually hit pay dirt

[quote name='zindsoros']You, sir, are a god among cheapasses.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I think that is the greatest compliment a CAG could get.

Great story! :applause:

Still waiting for our big "Snotknocker style" find! :D

Edit:
[quote name='"snotknocker"']
and especially remember to ask if you do not see any gaming related stuff cause the next big score could be sitting in somebody's house
[/quote]
We learned from last year and always do this now. We've found that it has increased our frequency of finds!

I hope some day I can find a deal at least 1/10th as good as that! Today and tomorrow no shoppng for me. I am making room for this seasons great finds by selling off my own junk. Did good for the first day, considering we were open 3 hours before the rain came. $100.

Oh man, snotknocker, that is one amazing haul!

I only got to hit maybe 20-25 sales, and my only real game find was at the first unadvertised sale. SNES + 14 games w/ manuals and maps (no boxes tho):

Super Mario World
Super Mario Kart (Players Choice)
Final Fight
Star Trek: TNG
Star Fox
NHL '94
NHL '96
Ken Griffey presents Major League Baseball
SimCity
Chessmaster
PTO
F-Zero
Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past
Super Offroad
Game Genie
all hook ups, 3 controllers (1 had the R button broken, but I opened it up and fixed it) and some random Nintendo Powers for 35 dollars (cdn mind you lol). Not that greatest deal, but I've never owned an SNES before (I was a genesis man) so I didn't want to pass it up. She said her husband wanted 40 for the lot, I offered 30, we settled on 35. Now that I think about it, she prolly wouldve went 30 (maybe less) if I did CIF, lesson learned.

The next bunch of sales were mostly a bust. Foo Fighters in your honor for 2 bucks, Sealed Dodgeball WS dvd for 4 bucks.

And finally 2 snes games + FF9 brady games strat (VG condition) for 3.70ish (leftover change in my pocket):
Ren and Stimpy Show: Veediots
Secret of Evermore

I'm pretty happy overall, but I wish I had more time, I had to be in for work at 11am so I passed up a few sales. I have to remember to tell my boss not to schedule any earlier than noon on Saturdays.

One last thing, garage sales that have 2day listings (sat/sunday), is it even worth going to the sunday part if you missed the saturday. I figured the stuff will be all picked through. Veteran thoughts on this?

Edit: added pics and game list

Hi to all. A newb here who found some great thing's today, shall I begin.

I found the following games for the PS1 Threads of Fate for the for $2, Street Fighter Alpha 3 for $1, Mutant Academy for $1 and Pro Pinball for $1.

2nd sale I went to I found a NHL 98 game for the Sega Saturn for $.50 and a MIB Legend of Zelda Majoras Mask with Strategy guide for $10.

Last sale, found a very scratched up GBA SP for $15 with Pokemon Pinball and Advance Wars 2. Had to pick it up.

got my first cheap ass deals at local flea market with my girlfriend today. very happy with the stuff we were able to pick up. might have to keep going to this particular one :)

-Sim Mania Pack (PC)- *Complete, $3.00*
-Nights (Sega Saturn)- *Two copies, disc only, $2.50 a piece*
-Nights (Sega Saturn)- *Complete, $5*
-Mario Paint (SNES)- *Cart Only, inside clear protective case, $0.50*
-Phantasy Star Online (Dreamcast)- *Complete, $0.50*
-Resident Evil 2: Greatest Hits (PS1)- *Complete, $2.00*
-Night Warriors: Darkstalkers Original Soundtrack- *Complete, $0.50*

saw copies of the Street Fighter Collection for PS1, but the person wanted $15. also I thought I found non-GH/mint copies of both Final Fantasy IX and Metal Gear Solid 1 but both of them had different game discs in them and or discs missing. I thought I did pretty well for my first time looking for VG deals at a flea market. hopefully I'll get lucky with it all on my next trip as well.

My finds

dreamcast console $12
nes zapper gun $1
9 common nes carts $6

What I did not pick
sega nomad with a cracked screen 5 bucks
super scope 15 bucks

First day out (of the year) for me today. No video games but I did get a digital scale for $1 and The Joy of Cooking and The Barbecue Bible (along with 2 other cookbooks) for $0.05 each! I've actually nearly bought both of those in the past so that was an outstanding find.

[URL="http://img97.imageshack.us/my.php?image=10gengames0ce.jpg"]
1 Genesis model 1 (with AC adapter, no A/V)
1 official 3 button controller
2 Sonic The Hedgehog *Not For Resale* (Gen, cart only)
1 Sonic The Hedgehog 2 *Not For Resale* (Gen, cart only)
1 Sonic The Hedgehog 3 *Not For Resale* (Gen, cart only)
1 Sonic Spinball (Gen, cart only)
1 Sonic & Knuckles (Gen, cart only, top cover missing)
1 TMNT: Hyperstone Heist (Gen, cart only)
1 TMNT: Tournament Fighters (Gen, cart only)
1 Dinosaurs for Hire (Gen, cart only)
1 Raiden Trad (Gen, cart only)
1 Power Rangers: The Movie (Gen, cart only)
1 Vectorman (Gen, cart only)
Paid: $2

1 SNES Mario Set (Complete with inserts, BRAND NEW condition)
1 Tetris/Dr. Mario (SNES, Complete with inserts)
1 Tetris 2 (SNES, Complete with inserts)
Paid: $5

1 DBZ: The Saiyin Conflict VHS boxset
Paid: $3

1 Lego Designer Set 4100
Paid: $1

1.5 lbs of Legos in a shoebox
Paid: $1

1 Scotland Yard board game
Paid: FREE

1 Breath of Fire Box + Manual (SNES, no cart)

1 Final Fantasy III (SNES, cart + sleeve)
1 The 7th Saga (SNES, cart + sleeve)
1 Lufia & The Fortress of Doom (SNES, cart only)
1 Breath of Fire (SNES, cart + sleeve)
1 Out of This World (SNES, cart only)
1 SMW2: Yoshi's Island (SNES, cart only)
Paid: $18

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We hit 56 sales today. It's on.

The last two finds listed were pre-aranged Craigslist finds. The SNES RPGs work out to $3, which isn't bad at all given their ebay value. It still gives me heartburn knowing that I paid $18 for 6 cart only games. But that's just me being me. I know that paying less than $18 for ~$100 worth of games is nice. But still, paying the $18 hurt a little. When we went to pick up the SNES games, the guy wasn't home. We almost didn't even get them, and we had to convince his old father that we were supposed to pick them up at the scheduled time. Random to get a free BOF box+manual from a completely different listing too. Nice to have a complete BOF.

Other than those two CL pickups, all of our other finds were purchased before 9:30AM (we started at 7:30), and we didn't head home until 1. We saw other stuff after we made our purchases, but it was all overpriced.

The SNES is in brand spankin' new condition. Very nice. We got it from a nice young couple after asking if they had any videogames. It turns out that the husband had just dug it out of the closet that day, and was debating on selling it. He decided not to put it out, but had no problem selling it to us when we asked. I was shocked when he took our $5 offer.

We went to a huge town-sponsored sale in the town center, which is where we got the DBZ set and the lego set. It's funny, because we'll probably never watch the videos, but they make a really nice display piece.

We hit a yardsale held by a bunch of catty moms. The signs they used to lead people to the sale were tiny pink arrows that you could barely see while driving. They had a Gen1 with Barney Hide & Seek, asking $10. I just nodded my head when she told me the price, and began to walk away when she yelled "I'll take $5!" I later offered $2 and was rebuffed. They also had an N64 for $20. Ridiculous. When I asked one of the women "What are you asking for the Nintendo", she looked confused and asked me what I was talking about. I pointed and said "Nintendo" again. She then yells to her friend "HEY! HOW MUCH ARE YOU ASKING FOR THE INTENDO!" It's like, you don't have to know videogame specifics, but where have you been for the last 20 years!? You've never heard of "Nintendo"?!

It seems that every time I see a Gamegear, the person wants at least $20 for it. Such was the case today. We've seen at least 5 of them since we started YSing last year, and every single one has been overpriced. Ah well.

Saw an old Tiger Electronic LCD football game marked 2 cents at a Church sale. We passed.

Already looking forward to next week![/URL]

[quote name='evilmax17']Random to get a free BOF box+manual from a completely different listing too. Nice to have a complete BOF.
[/URL][/URL][/QUOTE]

Not to be a crapper, but the BoF is missing the 2 map's / posters that came with it, so it's not complete ;)

But nice haul on those snes games.

3 Battle Damaged Master Chief figures (1 grey, 1 grey unopened, 1 green unopened)
1 Covenenant Brute figure (unopened)
1 White SPartan figure (unopened)
Sims 2 PC (complete, mint)
Tetris Elements PC (complete, mint)
Diablo II PC (jewel case w/inserts, kinda scratched up)
Diablo II Lord of Destruction expansion PC (jewel case w/inserts, really scratched up)
N64 Game Shark (cart only)
Legend of Legaia demo (playstation underground)
N64 game holder (black box w/pull out drawer)
PSX game holder (same as N64 holder)
Ultimate Halo Companion DVD set
Stone Temple Pilots CD (not sure which one, but I don't have it)

Total: $20

Parasite Eve (complete, a little scratched up) - $4

Ecco the Dolphin Genesis (box only)
Art Alive Genesis (complete)

Total: $3

Free stuff:
Xbox breakaway cable
Mario Kart toy (burger king)
Knuckles soccer game (McDonald's)

:applause: While not as good as snotknocker's (evilmax's $5 boxed SNES is pretty sweet too), here are my finds from yesterday:

Game Gear, missing battery covers, Paid = $0.25

Marvel vs Capcom 2 for Dreamcast, Paid = $3

PS2 Network Adapter, sealed, Paid = $5

NES Games:
Ninja Gaiden
Mike Tyson's Punch Out
Simpsons Bartman meets Radioactive Man
Total paid = $6

CDs and DVDs:
Vanilla Sky DVD = $3
Being John Malkovich = $3
The Cure "Wish" CD = $0.50
The Cure "Wild Mood Swings" CD = $0.50
Frente! "Marvin the album" CD = $0.50

All in all, I'd say it was a pretty good Saturday, although these prices might be a tad more than what some of you veteran yard salers would pay.

The first good sale was out in the country at a kinda shabby looking house. Looked around a bit, mostly old junk, but then I spotted a Dreamcast on the table, with MvC2 on top. I asked the older lady how much she wanted, and she said, "I think she wants $20 for all" ("she," I guess being her daughter). I asked if she would sell the games seperately, and she had to chase down her daughter who was driving down the driveway in an old pickup. $3, and I agreed. They also had Street Fighter Alpha 3 for DC, which I passed up on, but probably should have picked it up.

I looked on the porch and found the Game Gear. I already have one, and this one is missing the battery covers, so I wasn't too interested. I figured it was worth asking the price, and the lady replied, "Well, it's missing the covers and I don't know if it works or not, so how about a quarter?" For 25 cents, hell, why not?

One sale I went to, I immediately spotted a large stack of PSX games while walking into the yard. I got very excited.... only to find out that they were ALL hunting and racing games. *loud groan!*

If anyone's interested in MvC2, PM me ASAP... otherwise, it's going to ebay.

The NES games came from Goodwill, which is why they were a little pricier.

Flea Market Today

E.T.: The Extra Terrestrial (Complete) - $1

Said $2 on the box offered $1 had no problems taking the offer. This lady also had some other E.T. stuff she was selling.

Fighting Masters
Golden Axe II
Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master
Super Street Fighter II
X-Men
$7 For All Five Genesis Games

All of the Genesis games were complete except Super Street Fighter II which didn't have a manual. The guy I bought these from said he wanted two dollars per a game when I walked up I offered $7 for the five I picked out which he was cool with.

4 Sly Cooper 3 promotional figures (all sealed in box

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Got these from Craigslist. All four are already spoken for, sorry guys!

[quote name='evilmax17']
4 Sly Cooper 3 promotional figures (all sealed in box

Got these from Craigslist. All four are already spoken for, sorry guys![/quote]

May I ask what section you looked in? Toys? Kids? Great find btw and You really cant beat that price!

[quote name='dragonpancakes']May I ask what section you looked in? Toys? Kids? Great find btw and You really cant beat that price![/quote]
It was just listed in Free Stuff and I caught it when it was on the first page. Usually I find things by searching with my trusty list of keywords.

[quote name='evilmax17']

1 Scotland Yard board game
[/QUOTE]

I own this game and it's actually mildly fun, assuming it came with all of the parts and instructions, which you will need.

On another note, I started a project for scanning N64 boxes and turning them into covers which can be used with generic media cases. There is also a similar project for SNES games. I know you mostly end up with cart only games, but I noticed that you do get some boxes (e.g. Breath of Fire, Tetris 2, etc) from time to time. Would you guys be willing to scan some of those in for the cause? Check out these threads:

N64
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50941

SNES
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57798

Both projects have a list of games that are still needed, though the SNES list isn't linked in the OP (it's somewhere near the end of that thread).

Thanks!

I found a Gold N64 controller (it had a nintendo power sticker) at a yard sale.
The lady was asking $10 for it, but I just flashed $5. So I bought it for $5. There were two controllers, but I just bought one.

I tried to look up this controller in ebay to see if it was worth anything, but nothing showed up.

[quote name='ericx']I found a Gold N64 controller (it had a nintendo power sticker) at a yard sale.
The lady was asking $10 for it, but I just flashed $5. So I bought it for $5. There were two controllers, but I just bought one.

I tried to look up this controller in ebay to see if it was worth anything, but nothing showed up.[/QUOTE]

Iirc, it was part of a Mario Kart 64 contest. You had to beat specific times on different courses. Then you took a picture and mailed it to Nintendo Power.

I think 1,000 were randomly chosen as winners.

So it's somewhat rare.

While we're on the subject of rare controllers...

Yesterday, my mom's pet geek dropped a set of Doc's wireless controllers for the Dreamcast in my lap. I tried them out a few minutes ago for shits and giggles, and lo and behold, THEY DON'T SUCK!

The one set recently sold on ebay brought in over $100! O_O

These came from some little hole-in-the-wall variety shop in Tennessee, and I wonder if they have any more... if so, I'm gonna use my connections, heh heh heh...

-sailorneorune

The two n64 controllers had a Nintendo Power Sticker. If the lady who had the yard sale has another yard sale this weekend, I'll pick up the other controller. If she still has the controller...

I'll post a pic once I get home.

I haven't been to yard sales in a while.... I've been rained out two weekends in a row. This past weekend, we managed to finally have some sunlight and I bought...

Mad Magazine Board Game (x2) $2 Complete
Project CIA The Secret Formula Board Game $2 Complete
Mario Kart 64 $1
Dr. Seuss Biography Book $0.25
Vintage Roller Derby Mustang Skateboard $1
Vintage Child's Tea Set from Enchanted Forest Amusement Park in Maryland (still sealed) $1
Assorted books / Woman's Jacket / Guitar stand $5
Ozzy Osbourne - Bark at the Moon LP w/ Original Plastic $0.25
George Carlin LP $0.25
4 Psychodelic 70's LPs $2

Wife got..

Steve Madden Pink Fuzzy Slippers, Brand New in Box $1

The skateboard is worth about $50... the tea set should go for a lot of money. The amusement park has long been defunct, and people in my area collect things from it. I've never seen anything like the tea set before. I am keeping one of the MAD Magazine board games for myself (I used to play it in Elementary School), the other two board games are going to be sold.

Also, recent Thrift Store scores..

Live Aid 4 DVD Box Set $4
Paper Mario 64 $1
1978 West Point Military Academy Year Book $2 (Sold on eBay for $65)
Complete NES Console $5 (Sold on eBay for $59)
24 Heurs Du Le Mans Laserdisc $2 (Sold on eBay for $30)
Robot Wars Laserdisc $5 (Sold on eBay for $20)
Looney Tunes After Dark Laserdisc $5 (Sold on eBay for $25)

I am not really finding ANY video games these days though... I find consoles every once in a while, but I think someone is buying all the games before I get to the sales..

Found these SNES games in a dumpster today:
Mortal Kombat 1, Mortal Kombat 2, Mortal Kombat 3 Ultimate, Wing Commander, Aladdin, The Jungle Book, Seperation Anxiety, Super Empire Strikes Back, NBA Live '97, and a couple Power Rangers games.

[quote name='Pope On A Rope']Found these SNES games in a dumpster today:
Mortal Kombat 1, Mortal Kombat 2, Mortal Kombat 3 Ultimate, Wing Commander, Aladdin, The Jungle Book, Seperation Anxiety, Super Empire Strikes Back, NBA Live '97, and a couple Power Rangers games.[/QUOTE]

Who's dumpster???

I think I got my gold controller at TRU when the N64 first came out. Now that I think about it, I dropped like $300 on the system and a couple games when it released.

On another note looks like I'm out of commision the next 2 saturdays. Got communions both weeks. Too bad cause I think it's gonna be prime YS days

Taking out the trash and I found a blue GBASP and some racing game next to it in my garbage can. I ceaned it up, but the case is scratched up. It works well but I wish it were a blue DS =|

[quote name='Roufuss']Who's dumpster???[/QUOTE]
It was behind a thrift store that sells women's clothing. I guess there's some stuff that gets donated that they can't or just don't feel like selling, so they throw it away.

I scored a tshirt heat press tonight at the local thrift store for $30.. looks like it should sell for around $200. Also scored about $80 in book inventory for $8. Huge sale this weekend at a local Elementary school that is always good. Over 180 families participate, and the entire neighborhood surrounding the school!

just got back from one...

it was something of a bust, though.

Found Trivial Pursuit 60s and 70s expansion pack for $1, and a NIB Dungeons & Dragons starter set for $.25...

where are all the games? :(

Just got back from an estate sale.. a lot of things of interest.. but the people running it were assholes so I didn't stick around despite moderate pricing. I only picked up an old 45 record of "I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas" that I know is worth some decent bucks.. and at a dollar, I couldn't pass it up.

Also, just sold a VHS tape I bought for $2 at a local thrift store for $40. Hitting three thrifts tonight, will post results later if I find anything decent.

I went to a few sales this morning and all were a bust. On my second trip out, I passed by a sale and went back. I found a version 2 SNES with some games for $5. I only picked up Super Street Fighter 2 for $0.5. I don't have room to pick up a bunch of systems. I am going to have fun tomorrow. There are 18 :drool: association sales just in the Northeast side of the city, tomorrow and Saturday.

The only other thing I picked up was a Gamecube Component cable for $35 plus $2.10 tax. There is this local store that was once a Nintendo repair center. This was the last one and I thought I'd get it while I have the chance. They had some NES games, but they were over priced.

I just checked how much the component cable is going for on ebay. There is one going for $157.:hot: The thing still has a day left on it. If I wasn't intending on using this once I can get a cube, I would sell that.

1 PSX Console (Launch version w/ individual A/V outs, all hookups included)
1 Sony Dual Shock I
1 Sony Dual Shock II
1 3rd party PSX controller
2 official Sony PS1 memory cards
1 standard A/V cable
1 random power adapter
1 Game Boy ("broken")
1 Suikoden (PS1, Complete)
1 Final Fantasy VII (PS1, Complete)
1 Wild Arms (PS1, Complete)
1 Gran Turismo (PS1, Complete)
1 Tobal No. 1 (PS1, Complete)
1 Blasto (PS1, Complete)
1 Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions demo (PS1, Complete)
Paid: $25

Scored this off of Craigslist tonight. All the games are complete and in very good condition. Originally asking $30, took $25.

We met up with a friendly college-aged guy at his apartment, and he handed us the Playstation and games. Then he said "as an added bonus", he'd give us the Dual Shock II and memory cards. When we asked him if he was still into gaming, he said not really, but he still had his original Game Boy (that was broken), and pointed to it on his shelf. We asked if he wanted to get rid of it, and after a slight hesitation, he gave it to us.

Very similar to our SNES games find last week. More than we'd usually pay, but considering we got roughly $200 worth of stuff for $25, we're not complaining.

bread's done
Back