OFFICIAL 2006 Yard Sale Thread

[quote name='sonderiaom']Well, to break up the argument that has currently Erupted, I'll throw in my recent find.
Lunar2.jpg

Best part is that it's perfect, I found it at a Salvation Army on a whim. It had absolutely no sticker on it so when I brought it up to the register to buy it, I thought that the lady would put a huge price on it, but I got this book with complete stickers, and what looks like very little wear for $1.69.[/QUOTE]
That's a nice find. That's even better than when I found a Suikoden II guide. I need to check out my Salvation Army more.

You must have a good salvation army! Last time I went in I saw a six button sega genesis controller and some sega football game for $40. I've seen complete segas with games upwards of $150. Tragic.

Wow, what a find! Nice job sonderioam.

I'm already eyeing up the classifieds for yard sales Saturday. As I am stuck at college without a car, I have to figure out what's within walking distance.

[quote name='dragonpancakes']You must have a good salvation army! Last time I went in I saw a six button sega genesis controller and some sega football game for $40. I've seen complete segas with games upwards of $150. Tragic.[/quote]

Well, it's off the beaten path, and it's by the college. I only ever see old ladies, overpriced furniture and crud $.99 NES games which I pick up randomly. I saw 2 playstations there I think for $10 each. Sounds like yours has some crazy people working there.

In any case, hopefully this'll mean good finds are in order for everyone. I am however going to put my good find of the day either on a newly created tradelist that I'll make tomorrow, or throw on ebay as I don't have the game.

sonderiaom - I'm jealous... what would you have in mind to get for that guide? I want to use it for my game and as well as for a reference guide for art commissions. Please let me know what you're looking for (be gentle, poor college student here who doesn't want to have to fight for it on evilbay).

Seriously though, congratulations!

Bump for the morning. We have a tons of sales to visit, the sun is shining, I think it's going to be a great day! Good luck everyone!

It was raining all morning in my area but I did check out about a dozen yardsales and found nothing but after I was at the Mall I stopped by the Salvation Army nearby and found this mixed in with the tapes/CDs.

Dragon Force with no manual (Sega Saturn) - .99

1 TMNT: The Coming Out of Their Shells Tour (VHS)
1 TMNT: The Turtles Awesome Easter (VHS)
Paid: 50 cents

1 Full Throttle LE (PC, Complete w/ strategy guide)
Paid: $1

1 N64 (All hookups, original memory pack)
1 3rd party N64 controller (analog stick broken)
1 PS2 Dual Shock II (wire frayed and cut)
1 FIFA '98 (N64, cart only)
Paid: $2

1 School House Rock CD Box Set (Good condition, missing Disk 3)
Paid: 50 cents

1 Dreamcast (A/V hookups, no power adapter)
1 official DC controller
2 official DC VMUs (1 blue, 1 white)
1 ECW Hardcore Revolution (DC, complete)
1 Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation (DC, complete)
1 NFL Blitz 2000 (DC, complete)
1 Rainbow Six (DC, disc only)
1 WCW Backstage Assault (N64, cart only)
1 set of PS1 A/V cables
Paid: $3

1 Alundra (PS1, complete)
1 Jade Cocoon (PS1, no manual)
Paid: $1
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow! We had a really great day! Hit 44 sales, nearly half of them unadvertised. Signs abound!

Our first 3 finds above were all found before 9am. The guy who had the TMNT tapes also had some old, dirty Legos, but was asking too much for what was there. Had to leave them behind.

The Full Throttle find really made Evilmax's day! :)

The Dreamcast pickup was a great experience. The guy selling them was totally cool. When we told him we were looking for videogames, he brought out the Dreamcast and games, and right away pointed out that the power adapter was missing and that the memory card batteries were dead. It was awesome that he was so honest. The N64 game was already out on a table so he said, "You know what, I'll throw this in for free." So we asked him how much he wanted for everything, expecting something like $20. He comes out with $5 - an awesome price! We asked if he could do $3, and without hesitation said "Sure, that's fine!" It was just a refreshing experience. He was honest, he wasn't trying to make a bunch of money, but just looking to get rid of something he no longer used, which resulted in a great deal for us! If only more people shared his mentality!

Not much else to report. All in all we got a lot of neat stuff and hardly spent any money. It was such a good feeling to see signs all over the place. I'd say the season is in full swing up here!

Hope everyone had a great day!

Complete washout all day today >_>
Worked out for me though, since I was taking an AP Latin practice test from 8-12, in any case, I snagged some penny guides for free today :D

Went to like 30 garage sales today (first time going to garage sales actually looking for games). Was able to get Star Ocean: Second Story complete for $1.

Unfortunately I passed on some stuff that I later realized I should have taken at $1 a piece (Yoshi's Island, Donkey Kong Country 1, 2, & 3, and a few other SNES games that were there... oh well- live and learn).

We just missed a full Final Fight arcade cabinet in really good condition for $50 (yes, fifty), listed on craigslist. We emailed 10 minutes after it was originally posted, and were told we were second in line.

Just confirmed that it's officially gone.

*sigh*

Got some good deals today! ( Though I'm not sure how good LET ME KNOW!)

PSONE

Legend of Legaia NM complete
Resident Evil 3 GOOD Complete
Xenogears Disc 1 GOOD / FAIR Disc 2 NM/ GOOD missing book.

All three for $4.50 ( As low as they would go)

Found a Good copy ( disc only) of final fantasy tactics for PSone for .25.

QUOTE=Warner1281]

Unfortunately I passed on some stuff that I later realized I should have taken at $1 a piece (Yoshi's Island, Donkey Kong Country 1, 2, & 3, and a few other SNES games that were there... oh well- live and learn).[/QUOTE]

Why did you bother to go out if you're passing on incredible deals that I would love to find???

:) Actually, I pass on many things that I regret (even deeply regret). I saw a 3DO with several controllers and hookups for $10 at Goodwill and I didn't get it . . . why!!!

BTW, a set of DKC 1, 2, and 3 will sell for at least $40 on fleabay

no games, lots of damn rain, did pick up a vcr for 5.00 and a recoed player for 5.00, best deal was guy gave me a box of records like 100 records for free, lots of classics, led zep, ac/dc, aerosmith, steelydan, rolling stones, i could probaly put on ebay and make a furtune, but i am a music nut, so was almost as good as a big vg score

The only thing I found was a model 2 Genesis for a $1. It was marked $3 but I offered the four quarters I had in my pocket. It didn't have any controllers or cables. The only other games I found were crappy ps1 and ps2 games. I didn't even see any other good stuff. No good music, books, or movies.

i went to one sale today and found
final fantasy adventure for gba
perfect dark for gba
a gameboy color
soul calibur 3

all for 10 thank god for rain

Went to the local Swap Meet today, got some decent finds. No pictures though as my digital camera is busted. Anyway here is what I got:

Atari 7800 Pro System - $5.00
Panasonic 3DO FZ-10 Console - $5.00
Ogre Battle 64 - $10.00 (I know it's alot but I've been looking for this one for a while)

The odd weather in San Diego is clearing up, so I may start checking out garage sales next weekend.

And then it was monday...horrible, horrible monday.

Came across 2 garage sales today (god bless those who don't work mondays and think garage sales are a good idea). First one was ran by a "fat woman" who thought she knew everything about anything. She was actually trying to get $50 for a cart-only SNES FFII. When I played blonde (which I am) and asked why it was so much, her snooty response was "Well, I see them go on Ebay for that much all the time!".

After leaving that....debauchery :applause:, I came across a grandma holding the fort down of a "clean out your house" sale. Thankfully, she was rather nice, and I picked up 3 PS2 games from her for $10. Lucky for me her grandson has somewhat good taste in RPG's/etc:

AtL: Twilight of the Spirits
Castlevania: Lament of Innocence
Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land

Not a bad find...and to make matters a little better, I scored a used gamecube broadband adapter today from Gamecrazy for $9. Now if I could only figure out why the morons decided not to allow the gameboy player AND the network adapter at the same time :bomb::bomb:

[quote name='marten'] Now if I could only figure out why the morons decided not to allow the gameboy player AND the network adapter at the same time :bomb::bomb:[/QUOTE]

I could be wrong, but I could swear I have both of mine plugged in simultaneously, unless you are talking about actually using them at the same time (though I can't think of an instance where you'd do that).

I'll have to check my GC when I get back home, but I want to say I have both in at once...

[quote name='Strell']I could be wrong, but I could swear I have both of mine plugged in simultaneously, unless you are talking about actually using them at the same time (though I can't think of an instance where you'd do that).

I'll have to check my GC when I get back home, but I want to say I have both in at once...[/quote]

Well, unless I'm retarded (which I very well could be), the base of the gameboy player is completely flat, with nowhere to jack the network whatchamawhoozit into.

But feel free to prove me wrong...I love doses of humility due to sheer idiocy :lol:;)

Man I love this thread.. Keep it coming guys!

(Almost was inspired to hit up a few sales last weekend, but decided nah, maybe tomorow, and the weather was pretty bad the next day. Always the summer though!)

[quote name='marten']Well, unless I'm retarded (which I very well could be), the base of the gameboy player is completely flat, with nowhere to jack the network whatchamawhoozit into.

But feel free to prove me wrong...I love doses of humility due to sheer idiocy :lol:;)[/quote]

The base of the gamecube has a cover for the port the adapter plugs into. If you take the cover off, you can plug in the broadband adapter to make it a flat surface and then plug the gameboy player underneath. I hope this is what you're talking about otherwise I'll feel like an idiot :)

I think you put on the BB adapter before you put on the GBA Player.

Or maybe we're all idiots and Nintendo has played a clever ruse!

Zounds! :D

Since this thread is also about craigslist, I just bought a complete black gamecube with Resident Evil 4 (complete) and a memory card for $60.

I am an avid flea market, pawn shop, and thrift store visitor, but is there a site that can give the locations of some of these places. Especially flea markets. I only post my exceptional finds, here is one.

Me:how much for the nes
him: 10 bucks
I then notice MvC for dreamcast on top of it
Me:How much is the disk
Him: you can have that.

another thrift store find, second impact for DC.

[quote name='Strell']I think you put on the BB adapter before you put on the GBA Player.

Or maybe we're all idiots and Nintendo has played a clever ruse!

Zounds! :D[/quote]

Yep, it's official...the gamecube is smarter than I am :drool:

One dose of humility later (due to sheer laziness), and one major demotion to an Atari 2600 (switches, a hole for a cartridge and ONE button on a joystick....can't get much simpler than that) :whistle2:#

I was at a local pawn shop today and picked up 2 copies of Super Metroid for the SNES for $5, I think this was a good deal as they are both in really good condition, I also saw copies of FF VII, FF Chronicles, and some other stuff but I don't know what is actually worth something and what isn't so I am unsure about what to get...

All you damn left coast hippies get all the luck. The only thing I ever find at flea markets/yardsales here in Minnesota is SPAM memorabilia or used farm equipment.

A small town 20 miles west of me was having its city wide yard sale today. I struck out on games, but I found some good DVD's. I got Battlestar Galactica: The Miniseries for $5 and V: The Complete Series for $10. I also snagged a Smashing Pumpkins Siamese Dream CD for $1. The only gaming related item I saw was NFL Blitz for the N64 for a $1, but I passed on that.

Looking like another nice weekend up here in MA, and YS season is starting to go into full swing (last week we hit 44 sales).

For anybody that's never been YSing: It's still a little early in the season, but I'm hoping that this will be the year that you try it out. If you've ever thought about going (but never quite got around to it), then make a promise to yourself that you'll try to get out there at least once this season. Get a buddy (if you want), set a date, make a plan. Make it happen this year!

We always love seeing new faces and hearing new stories in this thread, and I hope that we get twice as many people (and have twice as much fun) as we did last year. If you have any questions, feel free to ask and we'll all do our best to answer. And if you do go out, make sure to post your stories! Join the fun, I promise that you'll have a good time (and maybe get some good cheap games too).

To all the old vets: I hope you continue saling with us throughout the year. We had an absolute blast last year, and this year looks to be even better. Let's make 2006 one for the record books!

pawnshop find today, since i have to work all weekend got all these for 24
xmen legends
marvel nemiss
socom 3
madden 06

not a bad deal, i will not pay over 10 a game ever again, i learned last year ys that patience will pay off

Today's Finds
Mario Bros. Arcade Classics Series (NES) cart only $1
Knuckles Chaotix (32X) cart only $2
Full Throttle complete with box (PC) $1
Final Fantasy VII (PC) complete $0.50
Conqueror's Pride by Timothy Zahn (sci-fi book) $1

I found Knuckles Chaotix and Full Throttle both in the same addition. I passed on some other games. I found a gamecube for $50 in bad condition. It had the gameboy player attached to it, along with some gunk on the the bottom of it. The plastic on the front part artound of the controller inputs was cracked. The thing was so dusty, I wondered if it had been stored in a barn. I offered $20 because of the condition, but the lady didn't take it. I might go back tomorrow and try again.

The second addition had nothing, but I might go back since a guy said I could talk to his son. I went over to my grandfather's addition and passed on a $25 boxed SNES. I would liked to get it, but I already have two snes. In the last addition, I found the FFVII game. I already have it, but my copy is disc only. I also remember seeing a arcade cabinet for sale in that neighborhood for $350. It was this konami track and field, I think.

Yesterday's finds
Harry Potter soundtrack
Sim City
Super Star Wars
Super Mario All Stars
Super Mario Kart
Super Empire Strikes Back
Super Return of the Jedi
all for $6

That was my only find yesterday. I do have an interesting story from a sale on wed. The sale is in a nicer neighborhood and it was advertised as a large sale. I was there a few minutes after it had started (mid afternoon) and it was packed. I'm guessing between 25 and 50 cars were there for this one sale. Cars were lined up on both sides of the street. They were parked all the way down the street and around the corner. It was bad enough that one of the home owners called the police. I'm not sure what they were going to do, but I left before they did. I had checked the sale and found nothing. Just a bunch of clothes.

[quote name='evilmax17']Lol![/QUOTE]
I forgot to mention it has a limited edition sticker on it. It includes a miniguide.
I really like garage sales. I've been able to pick up some good LucasArts games. Tie Figther, Sam & Max, The Dig, and now Full Throttle. I remember seeing these on Icons.

By the way, what do you guys know about Knuckles Chaotix?

Tomorrow (well technically today cause its after midnight) I'm going to make my first yardsail run. I've got maps of all the sales of interest I got from my newspaper. My main concern is finding a proper route so I don't end up backtracking because I don't have a lot of time (only from 8-10am) because I have to go to work. How do you veterans map out your routes?

And I dropped by some thrift stores today, nothing particularly good, saw 2 dreamcasts console only for 15 bucks a pop, passed on those as I have a mint unit w/box from launch sitting in my closet. A 9.99 N64 was tempting but it was really filthy and was missing the expansion cover and I figured I could get a better one this weekend. I was hoping to find some games tho, but no luck. Although I did manage to snag the box and manual for NBA Jam TE which I bought 2 weeks prior from the same location for free, now its complete.

Hopefully my next post after work will be full of finds lol, can't wait to see what you all found.

I wasn't able to go saling today as most of the sales were for Saturday Only, but they still look promising.

I was however able to pick up at the goodwill:
G2 Tank Megatron $2.99
Watchmen Comic $1.99

[quote name='T-Shirt Ninja']Tomorrow (well technically today cause its after midnight) I'm going to make my first yardsail run. I've got maps of all the sales of interest I got from my newspaper. My main concern is finding a proper route so I don't end up backtracking because I don't have a lot of time (only from 8-10am) because I have to go to work. How do you veterans map out your routes?
[/quote]
I gather up all the sales we are going to from Craigslist and two local papers, sorted by town. Then we determine what town to start with (as it's not usually our own) based on times, description of sale, and/or sheer number of sales. Then I use Yahoo maps (personal preference on the interface/resulting listing) and go sale by sale, often having to check and recheck the sales I have against the one I'm working from, finding nearby sales and determining where to go next to maximize time. After last year, I've become much more familiar with the surrounding towns, so it's made the process easier. I end up with a huge "checklist" of sorts in a text file, and we just print it up.

I guess it's just finding a system that works for you. Our aim is get this one big route, and then hit up any unadvertised sales along the way. It also greatly helps to have a 'navigator' (for me, evilmax :) ), especially if you are in towns you are not familiar with.

I wish you and everyone else the best of luck today! It's been so great to see posts in the thread all week, and I look forward to more.

Happy Hunting!

Ooof, Yard Sailing is going to be a toughie this year. It's been such a long time since I've found even a margainally decent deal, that I'm not too sure I can afford to drive around this year at 3 dollars a gallon for gas. It's a tough choice.

That's what keeps me from doing it to often now. I went a couple of weeks ago because a local suburb was having a huge area yard sale (like 20 square blocks). Now I'm just browsing Craigslist a day or two ahead and if I see something that looks interesting, I just try e-mailing/calling them so I don't drive around for nothing. Not quite as much fun, but at least I save on the gas.

[quote name='spmahn']Ooof, Yard Sailing is going to be a toughie this year. It's been such a long time since I've found even a margainally decent deal, that I'm not too sure I can afford to drive around this year at 3 dollars a gallon for gas. It's a tough choice.[/quote]

Went to 3 yardsales today and then straight to the emergency room cause I thought I was gonna have a heart attack
1009.jpg.w300h225.jpg

The Score!

The Systems - when I say complete I mean all plugs controllers adapters etc. I tested all systems and they
work perfectly.
1 SNES complete
1 Atari 5200 complete
1 Sega CD complete w/ box and papers
1 Sega Saturn complete
1 Sega Saturn complete w/ box and papers
1 Sega Game Gear complete
1 Sega Nomad complete
2 N64 systems complete
2 Sega Genesis systems complete
1 ps 1 intec racing wheel
2 mad catz dance mats

The games!

Sega CD - * indicates complete w/ case and manual

Sonic CD
Sega Classics collection
ecco the Dolphin*
cliffhanger*
chuck rock 2*
dragons lair*
ground zero*
pitfall*

Saturn Games
1- memory cart
shinobi legends*
virtua cop*
Tomb Raider*
Mortal Combat Trilogy*
Earthworm jim 2*
2 - world series baseball 2 - one complete
2 - madden 97*
madden 98*
nfl quarterback club*
Jurrasic park*

Genesis Games
frogger
madden 92,93,94,95,96
sonic*
pitfall*
clue*
justice league*
spiderman-x-men*
lost vikings*
sonic & knuckles*
2 - mortal combat*
star trek*
adv. of mighty max*
jeopardy*
Barney*
nba live 95*
earthworm jim*
bubsy
batman
x-men 2
sonic 3d blast
pool

SNES games
FF2
FF3
super mario world
mario paint
mario is missing
sim city
buster busts loose
dkc 1
dkc 2
spider man x-men
mystic quest
super r-type
super mario all stars

N64 games
conkers bad fur day - NIB sealed!
tigger
monopoly
glover
namco museum
yoshie story
pokemon snap
blast corp
kirby 64
diddy kong racing
bomberman 64
clayfighter 63 1/3
rampage
mario kart
turok2

Atari 5200 games
frogger
missle command
centipede
pole position
baseball
qix
vangaurd
space dungeon
counter measure
dig dug
galaxian
kangaroo
space invaders
congo bongo
pac man

I started out at 8:00 AM with no set plan because I had to be home at 9:45 for a repairman coming over. So i figured I would get an hour or so in and go home.

First sale I hit had a saturn and genesis with about 10 games. I was a little excited and lost my composure. I wanted the saturn cause I never owned one and asked the lady how much instead of a CIF offer. She wanted $20 I offered $10 we then haggled back and forth for a bit and agreed on $15 I was happy

second sale was a couple of blocks away from the first there was a N64 complete w/ no controllers marked $2. I CIF the guy and he takes a dollar. I was even happier

I head back home do the repair guy thing which lasts about an hour and decide theres still more time and head back out

I'm following a sign for a yardsale when i pass another yardsale that had no signs but was on a high traffic road. cars are double parked and there's like 20 people browsing. I initially think that anything good is gone and think i'll hit this one on the way back. Well the next block I hit a stop light decide fuck it let me stop there now. I hook a u-turn browse the sale and see 2 dance mats. I then ask the lady. "any video games"
She replies "I have a super nintendo with some games but I want like $20 buckes" She goes in the house comes out with a plastic bin with the system and a bunch of games, the first thing I see is FF3 and offer up $15 for everything which she agrees to. I tell her I'm gonna look around a little more, and then ask if she has any other games and she says she has more but was thinking of putting them on e-bay. So i tell her Show me what you have and maybe I'll buy it all and save her some e-bay aggrevation. She says OK let me drag it out. so she comes out with a couple of boxes I see the saturn and the sega CD, then she says theres more, I reply with I'm interested in everything , then out come a couple of more boxes with the N64, a genesis and the 5200 and a shitload of games. she then says i think theres a couple more things, I'm wait patiently for the rest when 2 teenage kids a boy and a girl with there father start looking at the super nintendo stuff in the bin. So i'm like I've bought that stuff and the one kid sees the FF# and says I'll give you $20 for that . i'm like OK but wait till I load up my car I'm getting this other stuff here, maybe there's something else you want? So he says ok and they meander back looking at the other yardsale goods.. then the lady comes out with a box and some bags with stradegy guides in it, I see the game gear and some genesis games and offer her $80 for everything knowing that I got at least $20 coming from the FF3. She agrees without hesitation, takes the cash and goes back to her busy yardsale. So I grab a box and go to my car and wave the FF3 kids over and let them look through the SNES stuff. When all is said and done they take DKC 1, super mario all stars and ff3 for $35. So I bid them good day and run back to get the rest of my boxes. As I'm going to pick up the box a guy asks me how much you asking on the N64? I guess he figures I'm running the yardsale. So with nothing to lose and everything to gain, I respond $30 firm for the system and 1 controller. he says Ok and forks over the skinnys. I look over and see the lady running the yardsale beeming at me and I think Shit! she saw me sell this to that guy and is gonna be all over me . So i holler over thanks again have a nice and she says wait a minute and now I'm thinking here it comes . as she's walking over she picks up the 2 dance mats and says here take these free!

so to recap, i spend $97 total get $65 back which makes todays haul only $32 and I still have a bag of stradegy guides i have'nt gone through yet

Best part of this day though is going home and rummaging through the goods and finding a Nomad at the bottom of one of the boxes.

You just never know when you're gonna hit a good deal.

[quote name='snotknocker']Went to 3 yardsales today and then straight to the emergency room cause I thought I was gonna have a heart attack
1429.jpg.w300h225.jpg
[/QUOTE]

holy shit! That's all from today?

[quote name='snotknocker']Went to 3 yardsales today and then straight to the emergency room cause I thought I was gonna have a heart attack
1009.jpg.w300h225.jpg
[/quote]

Lol and I thought WE did good today! Full run-down and story when you get out of your coma please.

Wow.

...*looks at the picture for a couple minutes*...

Wow.

bread's done
Back