OFFICIAL 2006 Yard Sale Thread

flea market find

atari 2600 w/controllers and hookups
58 atari games (all but 3 boxed games are complete w/instructions)

7 - nes games complete
1 - nes cart only godzilla
1 - NES game Punisher (still sealed - I almost blew a load when i found this)

12 - genesis games complete
2 - genesis controllers

SNES -complete w/1 controller
SNES - hockey 93 - complete
SNES games - cart only
Super Mario all stars / super mario world
link to the past
super tennis
street fighter 2

Alone in the dark 1 & 2 PC (mint)

1 Metallica (black album) cassette

Really cold day today, went to the local flea and spotted a couple of SNES games on this guys table, this guy is a regular and mostly deals in junk. I picked up the link which was a absolutely mint cart. the guys like $5 ea. for those games. Then I spotted the SNES, I then asked if he had any other game stuff and he pointed to a big box of games and said there's older games in there but there a little dirty. I scanned the box noticing the 2600 plus the Star Raiders and Empire Strikes Back which were completely mint. Unfortunately I was ill prepared today and had my cash in my wallet so the CIF method was out and there was another guy eyeing the box, so I asked "how much for everything?" I honestly thought this guy was gonna hit me with a $75 + figure, I mean seriously he wanted $5 for a single SNES game. Suprisingly he replies how bout $40? I instantly retort how bout $25 this stuff is pretty dirty. He comes back with gimme $30. SCORE! I get the stuff home clean it up and test and everything works. Best part was going thru the box and finding the sealed Punisher and AITD pc games . I've been wanting these game for quite a while. hopefully this is a sign of things to come. I can't wait for the YS season to start

2_25.jpg

I'm new here, but here's a few things off the top of my head I've bought in recent weeks:

- Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Found this new TWO DAYS AGO at a GameStop. I guess it's rare, now.

Thrift/Pawn Shops and Used Game Retailers

-Sega Dreamcast w/ 2 controllers, all hook-ups and a VMU --PLUS-- Donkey Kong Country for SNES still in box all for $25.00

The following were for around $2.00 or less, most around $0.99

-The Ultimate Stuntman (NES) (Camerica game with one of those weird region switches on the back)
-Ring King (NES)
-Golf (NES)
-Shadow Gate (NES)
-WCW Wrestling (NES)
-Basewars (NES)
-Muppet Adventure: Chaos At The Carnival (NES)
-Bionic Commando (NES)
- HollyWood Squares (NES)
-Captain Skyhawk (NES)
- Xevious (NES)

Expendable (Dreamcast) $4
Dynamite Cop! (Dreamcast) $3
Super Ghouls N' Ghosts (SNES) $3
Super Metroid (SNES) $5
Super Star Wars Games (all three) (SNES) about $3 each

Happy Hunting!

Strange day today...

Went out for a haircut and some lunch, figured I'd check a few garage sales that had advertised for a Sat-Mon deal. Of course, it's raining, so I didn't hold out too much hope.

Came by one about 5 minutes away from my place where everyone was huddled into a single car garage with a few tables placed around. Figured I'd go take a peek after I saw a Nintendo box in passing by. Went up, and the selection was rather horrible (you know how it goes...a ton of sports games), but one gem did stand out. I offered her 2 bucks for it, and she took it:

IMG_1706.JPG
ogre01.jpg

So yup...Ogre Battle for 2 bucks...can't complain at all. Thank god for idiots holding garage sales in the rain :applause:

1 Sega Saturn System (with RF hookup, no power cord)
1 Sega Saturn Box (decent-but-not-great shape)
2 Sega Saturn controllers (newer version, 1 broken)
1 Madden '97 (SAT, complete)
1 Madden '98 (SAT, complete)
1 NHL '97 (SAT, complete)
1 NHL All-Star Hockey '98 (SAT, complete)
1 College Slam (SAT, complete)
1 NBA Jam T.E. (SAT, complete)
1 NBA Live '98 (SAT, complete)
1 PGA Tour '97 (SAT, complete)
1 World Series Baseball '98 (SAT, complete)
1 Sky Target (SAT, complete)
Paid: $5

1 Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! (NES, cart only)
1 pink Nintendo game case
Paid: 25 cents

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There was a big fundraising sale at a middleschool a few towns away, so we headed over to try our luck. It was very poorly signed, and we spent a good 15 minutes just trying to find the thing. It was originally advertised as taking place at the school, but when we got there we found a sign saying "Yard Sale at Fieldhouse". There was no "field" in sight, and certainly no "fieldhouse" either. We finally found it, but it was ridiculous that these people didn't put up any signs. You're a school, you should know enough to sign your sale! Ugh.

We saw the Saturn stuff in a big box right away, and my heart jumped. I looked over the games and my excitement went down a little, and it went down even more when i saw "$20 takes it all!" written on the box. Punchout was right next to it (marked 25 cents), so we bought that right away, but we decided to look around the rest of the sale while we formulated a battle plan for the Saturn. The initial instinct is to cut the asking price in half, and then ask yourself if its worth it to you. $10 was a little more than I was willing to pay, but $5 would be just right. We went over and started to examine the stuff more closely. I was hoping that it was missing the AV or Power cord, and you can imagine my smile when I saw that it was missing the cord. We flagged down one of the guys working the sale, and informed him of the items incompleteness.

"Hrm" he said, "That looks like a standard power adapter. You can get those down at the radio shack." I told him that I wasn't sure about that (even though you probably can), and I didn't want to risk buying the wrong one and frying the system. He wouldn't go lower than $10. We then saw the broken controller connector, and then he wouldn't go lower than $7. He told me "There are $50 worth of games here!", which I smirked at. I told him that "The only games that are worth money for this system are RPGs, and sports games only lose their value as time goes on. Nobody wants to pay money for outdated rosters." He finally said "Alright, what did you want it for? $5? That'll be fine." He took it and we were out! I didn't think we'd be leaving with the whole bundle for $5, but then again we were out of practice in terms of bargaining and stuff. One thing we laughed about was how one of the women standing nearby was saying "That's the original Sega!" Not even close, lady...

We're heading to a huge fleamarket tomorrow that we've never been to, so that should be fun. By the end of the month I think we'll start seeing regular Yard Sales popping up again too, so we're really excited!

[quote name='asianxcore']just curious,

of all the thift stores, pawn shops and garage sales all of you go to how often to find games?[/quote]
Well, it's an interesting question.

You're much more likely to see games at flea markets and pawn shops, but they'll most likely be at higher prices.

You're less likely to find games at any single yard sale, but when you DO find them, you have a much greater probability of getting a good deal.

That being said, we prefer yard sales over anything else hands down.

Edit:

Whoops, misread your question a little I think.

Here are some stats:
In 2005 we went to 885 yardsales/flea markets, made 97 purchases, and spent $275. You can see what we got here. If you spend an entire morning out saling (8am-1pm roughly), you're almost definately going to find something. We only found nothing twice in an entire year, and that was when there was bad weather or it was on a holiday. 95% of the time, we would find something.

You have good chances if you put in a "full day".

[quote name='megaseadramon']You bastard :) I bought a saturn today at the local goodwill for $6 with no controllers or adapters but I already had them.
[/QUOTE]

That is an older Saturn though so it made what was a really good find even better :)

Flea market - picked up a Nyco PS1 light gun - .50 (paid asking price)
passed on a Genesis 2 for $2.00 - it was quite dirty with no hookups

The one I found a week and a half ago is also an older model... snagged it for $5 with the power cord... I discovered that the games I'd like to play won't be cheap though.

[quote name='Cambot']What do you guys think?? Would you attend this? If anyone lives in or around Houston, TX, here's a potentially excellent sale coming up.

http://www.tradersvillage.com/events/hn/05-copperfield.html[/QUOTE]

Hmmm. NW side of Houston. That's near my home town (Bryan/CS), probably less than 1.5 hours away. I'm in McAllen currently...

Hmmm.

Might be a good excuse for me to go home, see parents, get up, go to this, go to Ikea, then go back home....

Also, can someone tell me if this thread is where you report dumpster dives? Tonight was the first time I did one and I came away with a few nice little things, not sure if there's a thread for it or if it's all merged into here.

[quote name='Cambot']What do you guys think?? Would you attend this? If anyone lives in or around Houston, TX, here's a potentially excellent sale coming up.

http://www.tradersvillage.com/events/hn/05-copperfield.html[/quote]
I'd definately hit it. Could be full of moms selling off their kids' old Nintendo stuff.

[quote name='Strell']Also, can someone tell me if this thread is where you report dumpster dives? Tonight was the first time I did one and I came away with a few nice little things, not sure if there's a thread for it or if it's all merged into here.[/quote]
This is the place!

Sweet.

Ran by one behind a Gamecrazy just for kicks (was up because had to take gf home). I had to take movies back and remembered that I always wanted to check it out anyway.

Found the dumpster, took a look inside. Not a lot, but did come away with a lot of Gamecube/DS game cases. I guess they throw out promotional ones for some ungodly reason, so I snatched about 7, including Pokemon Trozei, Metroid Hunters, and Tetris DS. Found a pair of Odama cases also.

Looked around a bit more and found these large plastic banner sort of things. They are square with rounded edges. Nabbed an Electric Blue DS, Mario Kart DS, and Odama sign.

Took two pristine cardboard cutouts of Harry Potter. I don't know why either but I did. There were a bunch of "pre-order now!" case cover inserts for upcoming games (24 is the only one I remember), but they weren't too attractive.

Looks like this is something I'll be doing in frequency. I mean, does that mean Gamecrazy and other such stores just toss DS cases and things? I imagine there are dumps around the country filled with cases that Nintendo harvests and resells at their online store. :p

[quote name='Strell']Sweet.

Ran by one behind a Gamecrazy just for kicks (was up because had to take gf home). I had to take movies back and remembered that I always wanted to check it out anyway.

Found the dumpster, took a look inside. Not a lot, but did come away with a lot of Gamecube/DS game cases. I guess they throw out promotional ones for some ungodly reason, so I snatched about 7, including Pokemon Trozei, Metroid Hunters, and Tetris DS. Found a pair of Odama cases also.

Looked around a bit more and found these large plastic banner sort of things. They are square with rounded edges. Nabbed an Electric Blue DS, Mario Kart DS, and Odama sign.

Took two pristine cardboard cutouts of Harry Potter. I don't know why either but I did. There were a bunch of "pre-order now!" case cover inserts for upcoming games (24 is the only one I remember), but they weren't too attractive.

Looks like this is something I'll be doing in frequency. I mean, does that mean Gamecrazy and other such stores just toss DS cases and things? I imagine there are dumps around the country filled with cases that Nintendo harvests and resells at their online store. :p[/QUOTE]

Really need to start doing this. I've done it once or twice, but I could never get myself out late which is the best time for this. I need to wait for closing time, since I don't want to risk getting caught at any of the game stores. From the little observing I've done, I found a gamestop I want to dive almost always has their backdoor open. A few stores down is also a post office. I need to see when they all leave. Unfortunately, the EBs that are in the small strip malls, have a single, fenced in dumpster for all the stores. I don't think I can get into those without being seen. I'm also a little afraid to dive my gamecrazy because they happen to share a dumpster with a pet store. I'm worried about what kind of surprises I might find there. :puke:

Wow. I don't think I've ever thought of that. I think I'll continue to not think of that.

[quote name='asianxcore']just curious,

of all the thift stores, pawn shops and garage sales all of you go to how often to find games?[/quote]

Thrift stores in my area rarely have anything good, and if they do it's way over priced. $115 for a sega with one controller. I have never been to a pawn shop that didn't have games. They are usually under $20. Garage sales are hit or miss, especially where I live. It's a combination of thrift prices and pawn shop finds. But occasionally there is that one thing you just can't pass up, like Ogre Battle for the PS!

[quote name='Strell']Sweet.

Looks like this is something I'll be doing in frequency. I mean, does that mean Gamecrazy and other such stores just toss DS cases and things? I imagine there are dumps around the country filled with cases that Nintendo harvests and resells at their online store. :p[/quote]

I worked at Game stop for a while and Maybe once a month we would throw out a large trashbag full of empty cases. ( Usually we would replace our broken ones with the better display models, but there were some good ones there also) We would also throw away strategy guides occasionally when they didn't sell well. I'd love to DD but I can't seem to find someone to go with, and I'd rather not explain to the police what I'm doing at 7 am trapped in a dumpster behind the local game store.

[quote name='dragonpancakes']I'd love to DD but I can't seem to find someone to go with, and I'd rather not explain to the police what I'm doing at 7 am trapped in a dumpster behind the local game store.[/QUOTE]

This brings up an interesting point - is DDing illegal in any way? I can't imagine it is, unless they thought you were throwing things away into a waste bin that you aren't paying fees on (at least, that's what all those warning signs say). I'm not trespassing, not disrupting the peace, not stealing so to speak. I guess if someone came and found me, I'd explain myself honestly (Just a gamer looking for neat promotional stuff) and ask if it IS considered illegal, I'd stop.

Thankfully, the places I've visited so far tend to be fairly obscure and hidden, yet most have adequate lighting. I have the occassional paranoia, but nothing extreme at this point.

Notice that I'm posting this at 4:04 AM central time. :) I went to a few more places but found nothing. I have also determined that I need to arm myself with gloves, flashlights, and maybe plastic bags to tie around my feet. Nothing gross tonight, but I can see where I'd rather be prepared.

Around here, there's quite a scene for DDing. I don't know if it is a country thing or not, but being near Mexico, I see people around here checking things in various bins all over the place. This is not meant to sound racist, it's really an honest observation for this area. If I were to throw away a chair, it would never make it to the dumpster. Someone would come along and take it away, broken or not, and fix it up.

Given that, I don't think it is illegal, but meh, maybe someone else can enlighten me.

i can't believe that this great thread has now been reduced to a dumpster diving instructional!!
Please, someone, hit up a garage sale and tell us how you bought a 360 and every game on it for $6.25 using the CIF method so we can move past this.

I work at a GameStop (I'n an Assistant Manager) and we do throw away old borken cases. The inserts/box arts we try to keep just in case somebody trades in a game w/o them. And yes we do throw away strategy guides. Once they stop selling, the "penny them out," meaning that they reduce the price to a penny. I'v gotten so many strat. guides from this happening, some of them being really good ones (Xenosaga limited edition strat guide unopened!). Sometimes we penny out pc games once in a while. Just today I brought home the E3 2005 DVD and Tokyo Game Show 2005 DVD because we pennied them out. Another perk of working there is that whenever someone tries to trade in stuff that is older than playstation 1, a lot of times they tell me to do something with it and I wind up keeping them! ^__^

[quote name='GodOfTheMind1369']Another perk of working there is that whenever someone tries to trade in stuff that is older than playstation 1, a lot of times they tell me to do something with it and I wind up keeping them! ^__^[/QUOTE]

I don't get exactly what you mean by this but if you mean people try to trade in old games that ebgames dosen't take as trade-ins anymore and just give them to you for free after finding out that's pretty sweet!

Another day of wind, rain, snow and sun...

Went to work today, found out that my 15 dollar copy of Tales of Phantasia for GBA showed up (thanks Techdepot for that fabulous coupon), so the day started well.

Took a peek at Craigslist, and found an ad for a PS1 with games for 50 bucks. Took a look at the list and immediately spotted Grandia, FF7/8/9, and a few other games. Figured it wouldn't hurt to call and ask, so I took a trip this evening after work...

...got there, had pretty much decided to pay the $50 (I've wanted Grandia for a while, figured the rest of the games were icing on the cake), took her word that everything worked well (it was all bagged up and ready to go when I got there), and came home.

Opened the bag, and found this:

Playstation 1 (old fat one)
Controller
2 memory cards
Grandia strategy guide (mint)
FF8 strategy guide (mint)

Grandia (mint)
FF8 non-GH (mint)
FF9 non-GH (mint)
Azure Dreams (mint)
Tomb Raider III (GH/mint)
Vagrant Story (mint, no manual)

The unforseen gem?

FF7 (Non-GH, SEALED)

Who in their right mind wouldn't open a copy of FF7 and play it? Wow. Looks like I'll keep using Craigslist till I end up being burned :D

Garage Sale? Meh...more like an apartment sale, but close enough for my tastes.

Nice find marten

That's some luck with the sealed Final Fantasy VII. If you still feel some of that luck lingering around you should go buy some lottery tickets ASAP :D

That sealed FFVII is a sweet find!

I almost never see anything good at flea markets and garage sales, but today I found something. I was on my way home from gamestop, where picked up Mr. Domino mint and complete for $2.xx, when I wandered into a church basement sale.

I picked up some coca cola drinking glasses 4 for $1. And then I saw this guy looking at a sega game gear. The guy seller wanted $5 and the guy looking at it put it back down and walked away. I went over for a look and saw that there was no power cord, and both battery covers were missing. I asked if it worked and the guy said yes, so I asked how much and he said $3. Sold. I threw it in the bag and walked away. Now heres the best part. I dont know anything about gamegears so I didnt realize this till I took a longer look at it, but it had the tv tuner dealy attached to it. So I got a gamegear with tv tuner for three dollah. :D

I came across a Sega Gamegear yesterday at a pawn shop, but there was hella dust under the screen plastic. It had the power cord and huge-ass Sega Nylon case for $20.00, total, but I decided to pass. The case and everything was pretty dusty. Now that I think about it, I'm sure I culd give the case the old spic-and-span treatment. How about the dusty screen? Can it be opened and cleaned? Is it worth it for $20.00??

duke.jpg.w300h225.jpg

GT3 complete mint disc, Medievil 2 disc only exc. condition and N64 Duke Nuke memory cards (these babies are SWEET!) - The lady wanted $7 which was much less then I expected I was clutching a 10 spot for a CIF offer, instinctually when she came back with $7, i hit her with a $4 CIF offer which she hesitated on but ultimately accepted

NES Metroid This was the only game at this sale and was mixed with a bunch of other crap - I CIF .50 without asking for a price. the guy took it without hesitation

[quote name='snotknocker']
GT3 complete mint disc, Medievil 2 disc only exc. condition and N64 Duke Nuke memory cards (these babies are SWEET!) - The lady wanted $7 which was much less then I expected I was clutching a 10 spot for a CIF offer, instinctually when she came back with $7, i hit her with a $4 CIF offer which she hesitated on but ultimately accepted

NES Metroid This was the only game at this sale and was mixed with a bunch of other crap - I CIF .50 without asking for a price. the guy took it without hesitation[/quote]

Sweet deal, especially the Metroid and Duke Memory Cards. I don't know much about Medievil 2. But .50 for Metroid? Wow.

Anyone else know about these duke memory cards? were there any other character type memory cards? I wonder what the production runs were on these, i've never seen or heard of these before

To FONEwearl: Yes that's what I meant. ^^

TO Snotknocker: As far as I know, there was a Tomb Raider memory card with Lara Croft on it. I'm not sure if there were any other ones.

No Garage sales here on Eastern Long Island as of yet. Great scores by some of the posters thus far! Hope to have some of that luck soon....

I was also gonna mention the Lara Croft memory cards on PS1 (they were crap IMO I had new ones that didn't work) I also remember a Bill Goldberg one on the N64 that I should still have one around of from way back on clearance. I can't remember if either of these are the same brand as the Duke Nukem one, I don't even remember the Duke Nukem one actually :)

marten please tell me you opened the bag at least once while you were there to make sure she wasnt selling you a bag of rocks

[quote name='Kuma']marten please tell me you opened the bag at least once while you were there to make sure she wasnt selling you a bag of rocks[/quote]

Hahaha, the only peek I took in the bag showed that the playstation was there (and ironically, on top of all the games and guides). She seemed rather nice, and even offered to let me test the system/games out before I took them.

Not exactly the calling card of a scam, so I didn't bother...makes it just a little bit sweeter when you get those unexpected gems :bouncy:

[quote name='Strell']This brings up an interesting point - is DDing illegal in any way? I can't imagine it is, unless they thought you were throwing things away into a waste bin that you aren't paying fees on (at least, that's what all those warning signs say). I'm not trespassing, not disrupting the peace, not stealing so to speak. I guess if someone came and found me, I'd explain myself honestly (Just a gamer looking for neat promotional stuff) and ask if it IS considered illegal, I'd stop.[/quote]

As far as I know as long as the dumpster is not in an inclosed space ( behind a fence, especially locked ones) then it is ok. As long as the dumpster is in plain sight you should be able to do whatever, though if asked to leave I would.

[quote name='marten']Hahaha, the only peek I took in the bag showed that the playstation was there (and ironically, on top of all the games and guides). She seemed rather nice, and even offered to let me test the system/games out before I took them.

Not exactly the calling card of a scam, so I didn't bother...makes it just a little bit sweeter when you get those unexpected gems :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

you can never be to careful

[quote name='erehwon']I have a question for you guys. Are flea markets more of a southern thing? I've only really seen a handful in Indiana.[/quote]

Dude, Indiana is one of the biggest states for flea markets. We have hundreds of them around the state, including some truly massive ones. Shipshewana (sp?) is up north and huge. The Stewart's shows at the Indianapolis state fairgrounds are nice and usually fill all 3 main buildings. Then there's Brown County, which has 3 permanent outdoor flea markets in the summer. Beyond that, you'll find smaller outdoor and indoor flea markets all over the state.

Growing up in Kokomo, I spent a lot of time at the flea market on 31 near Peru at what used to be a drive-in movie theater. I used to go to flea markets for baseball cards and comic books. Cheap video games weren't that common back then except for crap I didn't want (Atari, Coleco). NES games were still new, retailed for $50, and usually didn't go for less than about $20 even at a flea market.

Now I live in Indianapolis, and we have a ton of crappy indoor flea markets that rarely have anything worth buying. I have better luck at garage sales, especially community sales. You need to get their early though...like before 8 am.

As an aside, we would hit up all the flea markets in Florida when I was a kid also and they were full of great stuff, similar to garage sales. I went to some last year while on vacation, and they have really gone downhill. It seems like most of the flea markets in Florida are full of new knockoff luggage and other junk. There used to be some of that when I was a kid but it was mixed in with locals selling their own personal junk. Now that's all you find at these places. Ah well, I'm just a grumpy old man, I guess.

I guess there just aren't any flea markets in my area. Well, I think there might be one flea market, but I'm not sure. I found it on google's map thing and that hasn't always been that up to date. I tried calling and got nothing. It's also on the south side of town. I would like to go that one in Shipshewana, but I don't have the money for traveling at the moment.:cry:

3_19.jpg.w300h191.jpg

Flea market find

13 NES games - $3
2 contras and a lolo 2 are the highlights
I CIF $3 on this and the lady came back with "no $5" but she had her eye on the cash the whole time. So I said "All I have is $3 left" She took the cash.

I went to this big Garage Sale in a warehouse on Sun. and got:

Atari 5200 w/2controllers & Manual
trac-ball controller
16 games (most, if not all have manuals):
real sports baseball
centipede
congo bongo
defender
dig dug
joust
pac man
pole position x3
soccer
space dungeon
space invaders
star raiders
super breakout
vanguard

An Odyssey system w/2 controllers and manual
games 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 9, 10 (the carts were numbered)

And a "Video Sports" system (it has 4 controllers with cords attached to it, has a spot for a light gun that came with it, and these big plastic sheets for the light gun games i'm assuming)

All for $20
I left behind a bunch of atari ac adaptors for $5 a piece, a commodore monitor for $20, an atari printer for $10, and 2 nes decks with about 8 games and a light gun for $40 (wouldn't sell games seperate, only standout game was burgertime). I might go back next week for the printer and possibly the monitor.

On craigslist i traded with someone near my area. I traded:

Double Dragon II
Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. 3
Tag Team Wrestling
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

for:

Snake's Revenge
Ice Climber
Skate or Die 2
Gyromite

and

ROB THE ROBOT! (sorry very excited)

Rob comes complete with all gyromite pieces. Everything traded was NES based.

Of the 400 or so NES games I have, Burgertime is one of the games that I really want that I can't seem to find in my garage sale adventures.

BTW nice score on the 5200. I recently passed one up, it had about 10 games with it but no hookups and 2 broken controllers. The guy wanted $60 which was ludicrous. I just told him good luck with that and walked away.

[quote name='snotknocker']Of the 400 or so NES games I have, Burgertime is one of the games that I really want that I can't seem to find in my garage sale adventures.[/quote]
Also have yet to see Burgertime on our outings. I loved that game.

Nice finds, GOTM!

bread's done
Back