OFFICIAL 2007 Yard Sale thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Warner1281']Did you get the PS1 games off of Craigslist? I saw a listing in OB for those PS1 games plus a couple others. $7 for the lot of them. Wasn't willing to drive up there for it though. This was on Thurs. or Friday last week.[/QUOTE]

Yea, it was a CL deal. I actually saw that they had a FF7 and while I was talking to the lady, she mentioned that dealers called and haggled her and everything. She asked if I was one and I told her that I mainly collect for myself and my brother and that I only sell stuff to fund my hobby. So she gave me a deal on the games.

[quote name='Shoagie']Ok ok , im back for this year and ready to go. I know nothing can top my monopoly find from last year, but im sure willing to try. The last block of ice finally melted from in front of my house so that may be a signal to people to start gettin the sales up. Good luck to everyone![/quote]

Where in vegas are you? :hot:

[quote name='Kuros']Yea, it was a CL deal. I actually saw that they had a FF7 and while I was talking to the lady, she mentioned that dealers called and haggled her and everything. She asked if I was one and I told her that I mainly collect for myself and my brother and that I only sell stuff to fund my hobby. So she gave me a deal on the games.[/quote]

Nice. Yeah I was e-mailing with her (didn't realize she was in OB til we were figuring out when/where to meet). She was gonna sell me the PS1 games + FF7 for $15. She said disc 1 on FF7 was all scratched up and I told her I could get it resurfaced, so maybe she thought I was a dealer? Dunno. I never called her though. Either way, nice score.

[quote name='chodax']Where in vegas are you? :hot:[/QUOTE]

Oops, fixed that. I live in Columbus, Ohio now. I did live in spring valley though. Rainbow and Russell area.

I haven't seen to many yard sales yet, but I did get a good find from a pawn shop. I picked up a broken xbox for $10. It's not the best deal, but I did talk the guy down from $15. I'm hoping to mod it once I can get it repaired. It boots up fine, but it doesn't recognize any discs.

[quote name='erehwon']I haven't seen to many yard sales yet, but I did get a good find from a pawn shop. I picked up a broken xbox for $10. It's not the best deal, but I did talk the guy down from $15. I'm hoping to mod it once I can get it repaired. It boots up fine, but it doesn't recognize any discs.[/quote]
wish i could find one. my stupid XB's dvd drive is crapping out and it makes me nuts.

[quote name='allyourblood']wish i could find one. my stupid XB's dvd drive is crapping out and it makes me nuts.[/QUOTE]
You can get replacement drives on ebay. That's where I think I'll be picking one up. I've also seen mods on xbox-scene on how to use certain models of regular pc dvd drives in the xbox. I think I'm going to avoid that method since I don't know how good it will look.

[quote name='erehwon']You can get replacement drives on ebay. That's where I think I'll be picking one up. I've also seen mods on xbox-scene on how to use certain models of regular pc dvd drives in the xbox. I think I'm going to avoid that method since I don't know how good it will look.[/quote]

i also have avoided the pc drive thing for the reason you mentioned. the replacements i see are priced higher than i'm willing to pay. i'm sure if i'm patient, i'll nab a cheap XB and either replace my drive or just swap out the systems completely.

Items for today, not all of them gaming. :D

From left to right:

MSI 865PE Neo2 mobo, socket 478. Excellent condition. $10

5 20gb/40gb Maxell Tapes $2

8 Eyes, Rush N Attack, Zelda, Superspike Volleyball/Nintendo World Cup and Ikari Warriors $2

Diablo 2 DVD $2

Parasite Eve 2 and Einhander $5

SF Alpha 3 $4

DC Webbrowser, PSO and Magforce Racing $free

Finally, 2nd pic. High quality office chair, normally $209, got it for $99 at Office Depot.

findsroflaisld001.jpg

findsroflaisld002.jpg

[quote name='Kuros']
Finally, 2nd pic. High quality office chair, normally $209, got it for $99 at Office Depot.[/quote]

nice score on Einhander. that's one of my all-time favorite shooters, and one of the games i'll never get rid of (up there with Ikaruga). also, the chair -- i've got the same one in my studio right now!

good finds, Kuros.

[quote name='allyourblood']nice score on Einhander. that's one of my all-time favorite shooters, and one of the games i'll never get rid of (up there with Ikaruga). also, the chair -- i've got the same one in my studio right now!

good finds, Kuros.[/QUOTE]

The chair is so damn comfortable.

[quote name='erehwon']You can get replacement drives on ebay. That's where I think I'll be picking one up. I've also seen mods on xbox-scene on how to use certain models of regular pc dvd drives in the xbox. I think I'm going to avoid that method since I don't know how good it will look.[/QUOTE]
the biggest problem with pc dvd drive is that you wont be able to read any real games.

[quote name='62t']the biggest problem with pc dvd drive is that you wont be able to read any real games.[/quote]

that's dumb, i thought you could. if MS would give us a break and get on some 360 BC updates, i wouldn't have to screw with my old XB at all. i just still have a dozen or so games that i either want to play again, or haven't really played at all since my drive gives up reading discs at random.

[quote name='allyourblood']that's dumb, i thought you could. if MS would give us a break and get on some 360 BC updates, i wouldn't have to screw with my old XB at all. i just still have a dozen or so games that i either want to play again, or haven't really played at all since my drive gives up reading discs at random.[/QUOTE]
I think there are some Samsung drives that you can use to play original disks.
http://tinyurl.com/2qnqdu
It also talks about modding any other pc drives if you don't want to play originals. I want it to play original disks, since I need it to if I want to softmod it.

Got a couple books at Goodwill Friday night:

Top Secret Passwords - Nintendo Player's Guide (covers 140+ NES, SNES and GB games)
-$2.99

Secrets of the Games: Super NES Games Secrets by Andy Eddy
-$1.99

You might be able to just replace the laser in the Xbox DVD drive for less than replacing the whole drive. I recently replaced one in a thompson drive and it went really easy.

I went to the Milton Flea Market this morning, and couldn't find any really good deals. I saw some PSP games for $20, and some old NES carts 3 for $12, but I have no idea as to what games are worth money. I don't want to spend too much, considering I don't own a NES gaming system. I saw some random PS2 games for $8 each, but I can buy those games for around the same price brand new at Best Buy. The only deal I think I regret passing up is Oni for the PC for $2, but I know my computer can't run it, and I don't know how much it sells for. I need to find or make a list of rare games to look out for. However, today wasn't a total waste I bought The Chronicles Of Riddick: Escape From Butcher's Bay for $5. I want yard sale season to start!

Spent a bit more than I wanted today... but got some good stuff.

Metal Gear Saga DVD $5
NGPC with SNK vs Capcom $6
Diablo 2 and Expansion $3
Gameboy Color + case + magnifyer + Quarth + Tonka game $12
Mutant League Football + Road Runner $1

jsdlfkj.jpg

i've been kinda busy lately, so i haven't had a lot of time to do much spending, but here's a few finds from the past two weeks (sorry the pictures are screwy; my good camera has been rendered useless):

PS2 RPG Maker II, complete, $5

Sega Dreamcast, system only, $3

Genesis games:
Truxton, complete
Thunder Force II, complete
Final Zone, complete, all 3 for $5
Mega Bomberman, 2 bare carts, both for $2

total: $15

BONUS (;)): anyone here who knows their electronic/synth gear, will appreciate the following two acquistions:

Yamaha DX21, $20

Roland Synthplus 10, $40

total: $60

RPG Maker II looks kinda fun, and i always wanted to pick one of these up. to be honest, i probably won't get around to trying it for a while, but when i get a rainy day and some free time, it'll be waiting for me. :D

the seller with the Dreamcast initially wanted 5 bucks, but i weasled it down to 3, reasoning that i didn't want to pay any more than that to find out if it works. it does. now i can retire my sports DC and use this one as my "beater". i already have tons of spare controllers and a few cables, so i was able to get it up and running just fine, without having to "borrow" from my other DCs.

the games were from two different weekends. i received one of the Mega Bomberman carts from last week for a buck. later, i nabbed the 3 boxed Genesis titles for $5. oddly enough, i ran into another Mega Bomberman for $1 again! this is tied for my favorite BM game along with Saturn Bomberman, so finding it in the first place was cool. i used to have the UK version of the game which was cool because it came with awesome box art and was also shipped in a hard plastic shell (like older US titles). unfortunately, we got stuck with the cardboard cheapy box. hence, the bare carts. Thunder Force II is a great shooter and my old copy was either bare cart or missing the manual (i forget), so i was pleased to find it complete. the boxed games are in almost new condition!

if you don't care about synthesizer or music equip scores, you can skip the following paragraphs:

the DX21 came from a lady who wanted 30 bucks for it. i was skeptical as to whether or not the thing worked, and i told her so. i offered 20, which she declined. she countered with $25, which i briefly considered before telling myself to stick to my guns, and walk away. i have a few other FM synths (the newer DX200 tabletop model being one of them), but i really had to have this oldy-but-goody! i asked her one last time if she wouldn't take 20. she went and found her son who came over and said that 20 bucks would be just fine. he assured me that the keyboard worked.

i brought it home, plugged it in... nothing. luckily, i wasn't about to give up so easily. 16 screws, some solder, and 30 minutes later, i had found the problem and got her working again good as new! (one of the solder points on the power supply had come free). it's fully programmable, sounds excellent, and is a great addition to my studio. every bit as cool as the DX7, but the fact that you don't see it as often bumps it up a little higher in my book. it's worth anywhere from $100-$150 so 20 bones was a steal! as a side note, i just noticed that one closed recently on Ebay for 70 shipped -- that was already a great price.

last, the Roland Synthplus 10. if any of you are familiar with the Alpha Juno 1 (or 2), this is the exact same thing. i mean it -- it's identical to a Juno 1 in every way, save for the cosmetics of the thing. i used to own a Juno, but sold it back when my wife and i lived in an apartment (running out of room!). if you've heard any techno/trance/hardcore/industrial/ebm/etc., you've heard this synth. 40 bucks. i absolutely could not believe it (they run about the same as the Yamaha, around $100-200). it's never leaving my clutches again, and i'm already back to programming some basses on it as if it never left.

you don't want to know how many synthesizers i have now -- it rivals my video game collection (at least in physical volume). in any event, i don't know when i'll run across such great deals again, so i just had to post these two in addition to my usual video game stuff. thanks for reading, and congrats to everyone else who found some goodies this week!

I recently got some pretty good PS1 games recently.

I picked up Valkyrie Profile, FF7, Breath of Fire 3, Legend of Dragoon and Final Fantasy Anthology. These all came with the manuals but no cases. I also got the FF7 strategy guide, Breath of Fire 3 Strategy guide, and the music CD from FF Anthology.

She ended up selling everyhting for $25.

399735494_555a8ce574.jpg

399735425_c3720c17ef.jpg

399735342_728583262b.jpg

Got a complete General Chaos at a flea market for $5 a few weeks back.
Also got a complete Disgaea 2 at a pawn shop for $10 a few days back.

I did some running around this morning before donating blood at the red cross. I dropped by a bookstore I don't usually visit and found a copy of Terminator 2 on dvd for $6. I had to pick it up since it had the metal slip cover. Is that a little harder to find?

[quote name='erehwon']I did some running around this morning before donating blood at the red cross. I dropped by a bookstore I don't usually visit and found a copy of Terminator 2 on dvd for $6. I had to pick it up since it had the metal slip cover. Is that a little harder to find?[/quote]

It's OOP so you are unlikely to find it a normal B&W store but it's fairly common online for around that price. If your metal case isn't scratched to hell or does not have a huge dent then you have a real find. I went hunting for a pristine copy when it launched and every store had them banged up.

[quote name='Gara']It's OOP so you are unlikely to find it a normal B&W store but it's fairly common online for around that price. If your metal case isn't scratched to hell or does not have a huge dent then you have a real find. I went hunting for a pristine copy when it launched and every store had them banged up.[/QUOTE]
It's a little scratched, but it is good enough for me. Atleast the discs are in pretty good condition.

Im not sure if we will ever see yard sale season here. It basically just rains monday to sunday and has been since last september :( I dont think we have seen more than 2 consecutive nice days since 3rd week of september.

[quote name='magiic']Im not sure if we will ever see yard sale season here. It basically just rains monday to sunday and has been since last september :( I dont think we have seen more than 2 consecutive nice days since 3rd week of september.[/quote]

wow, that sucks. you'll probably hate me for this, but 2 weeks ago, i skipped out on yard sales because it was too hot and sunny!

[quote name='allyourblood']wow, that sucks. you'll probably hate me for this, but 2 weeks ago, i skipped out on yard sales because it was too hot and sunny![/quote]

Son of a bitch!!!!!:lol: Today's the first day I ventured out and I didn't really find anything. Most of the big ones pop up after Easter anyway.

I can finally participate in this! =P

Picked up SimCity Classic PC for a quarter. Box is in good condition, looks like everything's in there too. I love when prices negate the need to even haggle.

Also saw a wireless controller for PS2 (forgot what brand), but it was missing the receiver and battery cover, so I passed. I need to research how easy it is to get replacement parts from the various companies (knowing is half the battle...)

I went to an indoor garage sale a couple weeks ago...got around 400 comic books for $50...ranging from the 60s to the early 90s. Most of the older ones are really beat up, but there were a few decent Fantastic Four, Superman, Batman, Daredevil, and Spider-Man comics from the early 70s in the mix, including a copy of Fantastic Four #112, which has the great Thing vs. Hulk fight.

Earlier this month, I found a copy of WWF No Mercy (N64) at Savers. It used to be pretty common at the GameRush stores in my area, but after GameRush dumped all of their N64 carts into a black hole, it has become pretty hard to find.

Last week, I first stopped at a GameRush, where I ended up getting XLA Unplugged for $10 and The Godfather (Used, PS2) for $15. Then I went to a local import store, which had a GH Final Fantasy Chronicles, sealed, for around $25. Finally, I went to a Goodwill and found a boxed Silent Hunter 2 (PC) for $3.50.

This week, I went to the same Goodwill and found Skies of Arcadia (DC) for $6.99. A bit more expensive than the other CDs they had, but it was still worth it, as I've been looking for a complete copy of this game for quite a while.

this week's stuff:

PS2 Shadow of the Colossus, complete, $5
PS2 Castlevania: Lament of Innocence, complete, $5
GC Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes, complete, $8

Sega Dreamcast, system only, $3
Sega Dreamcast w/Smoke controller, $5

Scrabble, new & sealed, $5
PS Blast Chamber, $2
CD GearWhore - Drive., $1

total: $34

all in all, not too bad. MGS:TS (talked down from 10) and Scrabble were the only items i thought could've been cheaper, but i was still happy to buy them.

The system-only Dreamcast turned out to be broken. the controller board is dead (i haven't bothered to figure out why, but i did isolate the problem by swapping boards with another DC) and the drive won't read any kind of discs. she's spins up, but that's it. the other Dreamcast works great. i think i'll use the dead one for parts and maybe have some fun painting the case.

the seller of the Dreamcast w/controller wanted $5 and $2 respectively. i countered with 5 bucks for both, which he accepted. essentially, that means i've bought 3 Dreamcasts in 2 weeks for $3 each! people seem to be practically giving them away.

I want your dreamcast luck... if I could get em for 3$ a piece I would have no problem ripping em open to use them to learn to solder with :D *has an unhealthy obsession with glowing blue LEDs*

The PC stuff on the left was from the swap meet and the DAV store. All of the SNES, NES and console crap was from a Craigslist ad. The guy had a simple ad and I called him up and asked to see if it was still there, he's like "yea, there's a large box still sitting here."

I asked where he was at and it turned out that he was in El Cajon, which is a 45 minute drive from me. A bit far, but why not?

When you see the final price, it was well worth it.

Picture 1:

Blaze & Blade $1
Day of the Tentacle! $2
Microsoft Plus! $1

Picture 1 and Picture 2:

Magical Quest with Mickey
Super Mario Kart
Jurassic Park
Super Mario All Stars
King of Dragons
Super Scope 8
SF2 Turbo
Ken Griffy Winning Run
MK 3
Captain Novolin
UN Squadron
MK 1
Lost Vikings
Star Fox
Chessmaster
Madden Football
Super Mario World
Zelda: LTTP
Game Genie

Hogans Alley
Battle Chess
Punch Out
SMB2
Super Offroad
Time Lord
Final Fantasy
Bayou Billy
SMB3

SNES
NES
Assorted crap

Grand total for that list: $10

Grand total for everything: $14

cgfindsrofl001.jpg

cgfindsrofl002.jpg

At this fleamarket I got

Final Fantasy 7 Complete 10 dollars GH edition.
Secret of Mana Eight dollars
TMNT 4 Turtles in Time Three dollars
Honeybee Converter Three dollars
Sega Saturn Ram Cart two dollars.

[quote name='georox']I want your dreamcast luck... if I could get em for 3$ a piece I would have no problem ripping em open to use them to learn to solder with :D *has an unhealthy obsession with glowing blue LEDs*[/quote]

funny that you mention that. just this afternoon i was telling my brother that i was gonna put in a different LED in at least one of them, just for fun.

I'm not talking replace the one LED, I'm talking having glow under the CD and maybe dremel a design into the top and put a clear window in.

[quote name='georox']I'm not talking replace the one LED, I'm talking having glow under the CD and maybe dremel a design into the top and put a clear window in.[/quote]

ahh... a bit garish for me, but i getcha! i often swap out the single LEDs on my systems for kicks. i have an N64 and a Genesis with a green LED. i was thinking blue for the DC.

Wow, Kuros... good finds.

Anyway, I finally went out early again (all the other times I've woken up at 10 PM and left at 11... laziness :p) and it sure paid off.

I really didn't find much the entire day. I passed on an Oblivion with no CD key for $5, some old NES games (actually, I gave the dude selling these my number as he said he'd look for his other stuff), and a SNES with no cords or games. Those were all very close to my house. I had one left to go to, and it was the farthest away, but I was gonna go there because they said they had videogames on CL... I got there and there was no sale. :( I was bummed, but I saw a sign advertising another sale, so I went to that one, and lo and behold, I found good stuff.

Imported Japanese PSX games (all original and complete):
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy IX
Parasite Eve
Biohazard 2

And a Memento DVD. That movie is cool.

All that for $15, so $3 per item. I am happy. BH2 even comes with the sticker sheet!

One quick question though... what's the best way to post pictures on these forums?

[quote name='ddrisgood137']

One quick question though... what's the best way to post pictures on these forums?[/QUOTE]
You upload them to a photo site like ImageShack and use the linking code they provide.

Thursday:

Manhunt (Xbox, Complete) - $10

Music CDs:

America greatest Hits History - $6 in credit, Like new
KISS The Millenium Collection - $7 in credit, Like new

Today:

Mario doll - 35 cents

Music:

The beach boys record - $3
KISS Record - $1

Sunday stuff:

Lunar Silver Star Ghaleon boxing doll - $5
Polarium - $3
M&M Heroes 4 + expansion + other Heroes stuff $3

cgfindsrofl3.jpg

[quote name='Kuros']Sunday stuff:

Lunar Silver Star Ghaleon boxing doll - $5
Polarium - $3
M&M Heroes 4 + expansion + other Heroes stuff $3

cgfindsrofl3.jpg
[/quote]

Nice. Woulda loved to grab the Heroes stuff given the chance. Used to love those games but lost all the CD's and such. Nice find. Nice find on the SNES stuff in El Cajon too (my area, bastardo!).

We still have not had like a single nice weekend in 3 or 4 months garage sales have been pretty far and few as a result.

Two okay Goodwill finds:

Starcraft Brood war expansion disc $1
Homeworld 2 (complete with box) $2

I haven't played the copy of starcraft that I found a few years ago, but I figured I should pick up that expansion for when I do.

I haven't had the time to visit any good yard sales, yet. However, I did buy a 3' inch die-cast Megaman toy in the package from the Dollar Store for a buck. :)

Some of you guys have really great luck in finding this stuff. I hope I'll find some interesting items to share with you all as well this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back