Official 2011 Yard Sale Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the input. I was mostly just curious because I know it's not a terribly common game; wasn't too sure about actually purchasing it. If I don't fall asleep, I might make a thread about some of the other deals to see if they're worthwhile. I already know I'm willing to pay $20 for a black label FF7 (unless I can find somehow find my GH copy), but I'm iffy on most of the others because they add up to a ton of money.

[quote name='Eagle3ye']Well I would say garage sale seasons come to a close for me....considering the fact that its snowing.....[/QUOTE]

I actually went to 1 moving sale right in town today but it was raining, didn't start snowing around my neck of the woods until shortly after noon. I was thinking I might end up going to my first (and last?) garage sale in the snow today. No shortage of people at the sale either about an hour after it started, seemed as if the yardsaling regulars were all cramed in at this sale with it being the only show in town.

yeah looks like mostly estate sales, craigslist, or thrift store finds looking from now on. Still a few garage sales here and there for tomorrow, but I see most of them getting cancelled with snow expected here tonight.

Snowy here too but sunny yesterday and high 40s
Couple sales yesterday...spent $.50 on my outing then double checked craigs when home...
one more sale around the corner but going at that point 2 hours...
2000/3000 (not sure) psp $75 6 games/movies $10 each :roll:
silver ds lite $75 3 games $8 each COD WOW, Solitaire, Battleship :roll:
offered $10 for the 3 DS games, settled on $12
should have just offered $60 for everything but when the prices are soo out of line, I shy away .....

came home and then noticed they had short hours and I was actually there in the last hour...dammit should have just offered the $60 ....
moral? nothing ventured, nothing gained, don't be like me! asking never hurts...

[quote name='Tsel']194 pages. :drool:

How much did you spend this season?[/QUOTE]

Actually, since we know he's cheap, the question is more like how much time did Slowdive spend at sales this season :)

It been so long since I last posted. Not much to say. I have been hitting a few sales but not seeing much game stuff. This could've been the final weekend :cry:

But I have gotten some nice books in the last few weeks--stuff to sell on Amazon. Last week, I got a free (dead) Xbox 360. I didn't even think about it until later but it didn't have a harddrive . . . is there anything that one can do with a RROD 360???

This weekend I got a GBC system with a Super Mario Deluxe cart for $2.

I wish I had my stuff together enough to do a recap like Slow . . . maybe next year.

[quote name='schultzed']Actually, since we know he's cheap, the question is more like how much time did Slowdive spend at sales this season :)

It been so long since I last posted. Not much to say. I have been hitting a few sales but not seeing much game stuff. This could've been the final weekend :cry:

But I have gotten some nice books in the last few weeks--stuff to sell on Amazon. Last week, I got a free (dead) Xbox 360. I didn't even think about it until later but it didn't have a harddrive . . . is there anything that one can do with a RROD 360???

I wish I had my stuff together enough to do a recap like Slow . . . maybe next year.[/QUOTE]

I thought dead Xbox 360s were worth something like $30 in salvage. You might want to check your local craigslist for guys that do repairs--okay, even if you get $20 that's a good way to pick up gas money when you're otherwise yard-saling.

I have seen a few xbox 360's for sale here but they were all around $30 with no controllers or anything just the system and a power cord and maybe an AV cable. I just figure they are dead and probably not worth buying.

[quote name='Tsel']194 pages. :drool:

How much did you spend this season?[/QUOTE]

I don't know. I would guess around $400. :whistle2:k Even If I am buying stuff at .50 -$1 each, they add up pretty quickly. I would say I tend to spend $15-$40 a week.

[quote name='schultzed']Actually, since we know he's cheap, the question is more like how much time did Slowdive spend at sales this season :)

I wish I had my stuff together enough to do a recap like Slow . . . maybe next year.[/QUOTE]

I really don't spend a lot of time. I usually only go out Thursday and Friday from 7:30 (If the first sale is at 8) until 11 AM or Noon. I don't usually go out Saturday or Sunday (unless it is a new close by sale or they advertise something I am looking for). Actually that is around 10 hours a weekend...maybe that IS a lot of time. ;)

I started tagging the games stuff near the end of the season. I had to go back and tag the rest which was a PITA.

I finally had time to catch up on the thread. You guys are finding some really cool stuff. Indigo - really cool turbografx find! :applause:

[quote name='schultzed']is there anything that one can do with a RROD 360???[/QUOTE]

Skeet shooting. ;)

[quote name='schultzed']I wish I had my stuff together enough to do a recap like Slow[/QUOTE]

I have realized that I have not posted a find since about early June. I have found some decent things but I haven't wanted to post finds without pics (yeah, I'm lazy). I need to gather up my finds and make a couple posts for highlights.

[quote name='Invicta 61']Skeet shooting. ;)[/QUOTE]

What has Skeet ever done to you?

skeet.jpg

[quote name='Invicta 61']He made Chill Factor, that should be enough.[/QUOTE]

That actually made me laugh. It is very difficult to make me laugh.

It was more of an exhale through my nose with a smile on my face, but you still get credit. :applause:

I actually have a few things to photograph as well. I forgot about the lot my Dad found. Hopefully I will get around to snapping some photos in the next few days...

Well folks, this is all I got left. I am relieved my season is over (and a little sad), but I look forward to everyone's finds!

I think I paid 60 cents total for this stuff. They "had gameboy and DS video games", but they started the sale an hour earlier than advertised (because I was 35 minutes early and it was my first stop).

The VHS were 10cents each, so I didn't want to leave behind any potential $$.

021f6731.jpg

bffbce56.jpg

72ed668b.jpg

This was FREE from a lady I bought a NES from earlier in the season. It is the Kellogg's mail away comic.

f6e0e633.jpg

This is the lot my Dad found. I am really happy with the lot, but I am disappointed he hesitated and felt the need to call me. I think he just likes to torture me because he knows he should buy the lot. :lol:

$5 total.

8b77d5e9.jpg

94b5c869.jpg

fd291c07.jpg

Contents of the box:

de8b129c.jpg

4d8763da.jpg

9ae9cdce.jpg

:D

Hey slow, does your TG-16 controller have the little connector prongs on the end? I'm thinking mine are broken off, though I spent a few minutes looking for a mysterious and perhaps non-existent slide-out mechanism :roll:

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']Hey slow, does your TG-16 controller have the little connector prongs on the end? I'm thinking mine are broken off, though I spent a few minutes looking for a mysterious and perhaps non-existent slide-out mechanism :roll:[/QUOTE]

It is like a s-video cable. There are 8 prongs, but they do not reach the end of the cable. They are about 1/4 inch short of the outer plastic. If you look at the end of the controller's cable they should be visible. It sounds like your prongs may be broken off.

I swear AugustAPC likes to steal my thunder. ;) Nice finds though!

I claim nothing of the sort.

I still dream about my old Turbo Grafx. I was actually on the phone with a friend, just this morning, while garage sailing. We were talking about stuff we found recently and I asked him "When am I ever going to find a Turbo Grafx?"

One of these days I'll reclaim my old friend.

[quote name='AugustAPC']Here are this morning's scores:

gs1w.jpg

[/QUOTE]

Holy heck, is that an arcade stick or the bathroom scale people use to weigh themselves?? You should mod that beast and become a neighborhood DC god.

Art modding this thing would be a challenge. I'd need plexi customized to the face of the stick, which has the open window that houses the memory card.

I've never actually modded a stick before, though I've wanted to. I've just had so much stuff I've wanted to buy, that I haven't gotten around to it.

I may be able to just get a high gloss overlay, with a strong adhesive, but I wouldn't know where to go to get that done, or where to get it cut properly to fit the stick.

There are still a couple sales per weekend my way, I managed to spot an AV Switcher box complete in a bag and got it for $1 which is probably a good price and I needed it really bad. Plus I would have no idea where to buy such a thing locally other than the overpriced radioshack.

[quote name='AugustAPC']Art modding this thing would be a challenge. I'd need plexi customized to the face of the stick, which has the open window that houses the memory card.

I've never actually modded a stick before, though I've wanted to. I've just had so much stuff I've wanted to buy, that I haven't gotten around to it.

I may be able to just get a high gloss overlay, with a strong adhesive, but I wouldn't know where to go to get that done, or where to get it cut properly to fit the stick.[/QUOTE]

I've seen another CAG with a custom Cammy stick, a bit smaller of course but I think they paid about $80? Chances are the people who do custom system mods could help you out, just keep your eyes open.

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']I've seen another CAG with a custom Cammy stick, a bit smaller of course but I think they paid about $80? Chances are the people who do custom system mods could help you out, just keep your eyes open.[/QUOTE]

Since we are talking about mods...

Does anyone know of a cheap/good soldering gun? I am thinking about modding some NES LED power lights, but I haven't really attempted to solder anything.

[quote name='slowdive21']Since we are talking about mods...

Does anyone know of a cheap/good soldering gun? I am thinking about modding some NES LED power lights, but I haven't really attempted to solder anything.[/QUOTE]

Just go in Radio Shack and buy one. From experience, cheap ones from like $10-$40 are roughly all the same crappyness, but fine for basic soldering, especially if you're dealing with wires and stuff you can put on a breadboard. You'll need a $60+ (in reality, more) if you... Well, you'll know when you need it.

Edit: I recommend a sponge, because the cheap ones won't come with one. And you don't get a decent stand until you're paying $50~60, so I'd work over a metal surface, like a tin lid or cookie sheet (just don't use it for food after). Don't choose the really thick solder, and not the hair thin ones either. Go for ones about the size of telephone wire, maybe a little thicker.

[quote name='elessar123']I'd work over a metal surface, like a tin lid or cookie sheet (just don't use it for food after).[/QUOTE]

Hmm. That must be what's wrong with me.

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']I've seen another CAG with a custom Cammy stick, a bit smaller of course but I think they paid about $80? Chances are the people who do custom system mods could help you out, just keep your eyes open.[/QUOTE]

That was probably a standard current gen MadCatz stick. There are readily available resources for modding those. Sites sell plexi custom fitted for those sticks, as well as offer the services of printing and cutting your art for you.

I went to 3 yard sales yesterday. One was a bust, I picked up Cranium Kabooki for old time's sake.

The second one had some kids books that my daughter loves, so I was happy to get them at yard sale prices.

The first one, however, was great. I picked up mario party ds for $2, as well as a few other random things. I then went to the second one, which was next door. I decided to go back at pick up Pokepark wii as a flip, even though they wanted a little bit too much, but while I was waiting to pay, I heard the guy asking his son if it was ok to sell off the old games. I said I'd like to see them, and ended up getting an n64 and a snes with about 8 games each for $10 total. Woohoo!

It looks like yard sales up north have died. Down here in Orlando, there have been many as we are still getting days in the high 80s / low 90s. I have not had much luck with video games at yard sales / flea markets this year (Radiant Silvergun being the exception) and have been happy to buy ccg cards and comics to feed my collecting addiction. Today though was unexpected, and was even more unexpected as its Sunday and these yard sales have been out all weekend since Friday.

Sunday Finds
Streets of Rage 2 cart only $1
Dead or Alive 2 missing manual DC with case .50
Omikron DC complete .50
Quake 3 arena DC complete .50
Soul Calibur DC complete .50
Castlevania SOTM PS1 Black Label Complete $1
Legends of Mysteria Saturn Complete $4
Shining in the Holy Ark Saturn Complete $4
Albert Odyssey Saturn Complete (!) $4
Dragon Force Saturn Complete with Memory Sticker (!!!) $4

As for the rest of the week, game wise
Friday
Cart only GBA Mario Advance 2 Super Mario World $1
Cart only GBA Kirby Nightmare in Dreamland $1
Cart only GB Super Mario Land $1
Cart only GBC Zelda Oracle of Seasons $1

Saturday
Cart only N64 Goldeye $1
Complete 2600 Mario Bros. $1

Other finds were
$3 miscellaneous household goods for gf and I
$2 Swamp Thing 9 (1973) 4.0 (notice the back cover had tear after I bought it)
$2 MTG Promo
.75 MTG Rare / Unc 16 card lot
$2 Pokemon lot, 100 cards, 4 rares
$1 MTG black deck, no rares, Beta land and common (sell on ebay for $2 and $8 respectively)
$7 Card lot (ani mayham, YGO, Pokemon) w/ Transformers book - The pokemon cards contained several first edition / shadowless cards as well as a near complete set of base, jungle, and fossil, easily $100 worth of flips with all the cards combined

Overall, it was a good weekend. The Dragon Force and Albert Odyssey are my second copies and will be staying put for the time being. I have to make up my money spent and gas so the cards will be going along with SOR2, SC, QIII, and DOA2. Also thinking about dropping SOTM as its my third copy and it looks like the prices have climbed up.
picture.php

picture.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Someone had a game yard sale in Orlando today where they were liquidating their collection. I got about 15 games, most were $2 complete. They were

Martian Successor Nadesico - Import Saturn
*heart* Miku - Import Saturn
Official Collection (all in Japanese) - Import Saturn
Mobile Suit Gundam - Import Saturn
Metal Saga - PS2
PTO 2 - Saturn
Panzer Dragoon - Saturn
Dragons Lair - Sega CD
Revenge of the Ninja - Sega CD
Sonic CD - Sega CD
Gundam Zeonic Front - PS2 (missing manual) - $1
Gundam Federation vs. Zeon - PS2 missing manual - $1

For $10, I got an Import Saturn Bomberman (SS collection). I overpaid a bit but I made up for it because for $15 I got Railfan (Import PS3) Chicago. I knew it was rare, I didnt realize however that it was $125 rare.

Other finds today were 2 authentic NBA jerseys (CHris Webber Kings and Darius Miles Clippers) for $2 apiece, a complete N64 Aidyn Chronicles for .50 cents, a cheap Joe Montana card plaque for .25 cents, a broken G1 Constructicon and busted GObot for a nickel apiece, a Box full of MTG cards for $6, and (yesterday) 2 oublejump strategy guides (Disgaea complete and Mana Khamia), Persona 4 visual data booke, 2 Mario party unopened e-reader packs, and a preorder MK vs DC Joker cell and a preorder Castlevania Judgment Belmont cell for $1.30 total.

picture.php

picture.php

Railfan is for sale

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Otherguy676']Overall, it was a good weekend. [/QUOTE]

If I ever find out what you consider a great weekend, my head will explode from envy.

[quote name='salty tbone']If I ever find out what you consider a great weekend, my head will explode from envy.[/QUOTE]

Lol, they were both great days, I think the best day of game hunting for this past summer game came when I found Radiant Silvergun Import with same TG16 games (Cadash, Sidearms, Alien Crush etc) for $2 from a guy at a flea market who was selling stuff he found in the trash / dumpster diving / picking. I actually missed Radiant Silvergun the first time and went back and it was sitting there.

Its kind of funny that I had game hauls the last few weeks because I never have luck at yard sales for video games. I was doing them for comics, however, we have a reseller in the area who knocks on people's doors so I gave up on that too and now I'm just looking for any CCG cards to fund my video game habit.

Got some decent stuff today

Mario Party 8 disc only
Zac and Wiki complete

These pc games complete

Black and white+ expansion
No One Lives Forever 2
Neverwinter Nights (has the cloth map!)
KOTOR

all that for $12

and Sunset Riders for $5

Another weekend and today was full of yard sales. Between Friday and today I have spent $50 (plus 1 tank of gas so $95 total). Heres what I got gamewise

For $1 (original xbox games from pawn)
Ninja Gaiden Complete
Fatal Frame Complete
Star Wars Battlefront II Complete
GTA San Andreas Complete

For $3 from pawn
Grand Theft Auto Trilogy Complete(!) - $3 (sells for $45+ on ebay)

From yard sales
Silent Hill 3 PS2 - game and case only - $1
Metal Gear Solid PSOne Black Label Complete - $1
Samurai Shodown III PSOne complete - $1 (finally got this)
300 PSP complete - $2
Call of Duty Black Ops - Complete (no codes) - $5

The following NES games are all cart only for .25 cents apiece
Adventure Island II
TMNT 1
TMNT 2 the arcade game
Tecmo Bowl
Super Mario Bros 2
Super Mario Bros 3
R Pro-Am
Excitebike
Contra
Mike Tyson Punch Out

Non game finds
comics for $5 total (were $1 each, talked him to 3 for a $1)
Amazing Spiderman 583 - Romita cover, League Extraordinary Gentlemen vol 1 $1, Avengers Childrens crusade 1, Captain America 25 cover a (death of cap), Woverine 55 Death of Sabertooth (EC variant), Secret War 1 commemorative edition (Bendis Autograph), Fear Itself 4, Cable and Deadpool 32, DC Super Stars 15, Deadpool 16, FLash 13 (DC Nation Free variant), Amazing Spider Man 530, Punisher first mini 2, Punisher first mini 5, Superman / Batman 2

Over 1000 Sports / Non Sports cards - $5
50 Baseball cards - .50 cents
Digital Kodak picture frame = $1
Pikachu small plush - .50 cents (sells for $8 on ebay)
Talking Pikachu plush - .50 cents (sells for $8 in similar condition on ebay)
Rapheal 2002 *New* TMNT action figure (from Goodwill) - $3
Monitor Wire - .50 cents
Michael Jordan Replica Jersey Black - $1 (sells for $35 on ebay)

Not a bad haul, most of it is being sold as they are dupes. I have a binder of about 150 baseball cards on hold for $30. The binder includes 25 game used cards (including a Mantle and Ruth patch that sells for $10 each) and about 5 Strasburg Rookie / second year cards. Ill probably buy that tomorrow.

Hey I'm back, Went to one church flea market thinggy , picked up a crate full of Dreamcast games for $60.
Came with quite a few rares also a sealed copy of Mars Matrix.

Hey All. Wanted to wish you all a Happy Holidays. The yard saling has ceased in my area, but I have tons of old footage that I need to edit, etc and put on Youtube. With that being said, here is the next in my series of Garage Sales LIVE. Once again, thanks to all of you who put in the time and work to post stories and pictures to this thread. It's extremely enjoyable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCZGRN2tC7o&feature=g-all-c&context=G29e9bd1FAAAAAAAAFAA

Hey All. Wanted to wish you all a Happy Holidays. The yard saling has ceased in my area, but I have tons of old footage that I need to edit, etc and put on Youtube. With that being said, here is the next in my series of Garage Sales LIVE. It's all about the trials and tribulations of finding close to nothing in the wild.

Once again, thanks to all of you who put in the time and work to post stories and pictures to this thread. It's extremely enjoyable.

There are some curses, so it's not exactly suitable for work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCZGRN2tC7o&feature=g-all-c&context=G29e9bd1FAAAAAAAAFAA

[quote name='slowdive21']Could you let me know what device you are using to record? Are they glasses?[/QUOTE]

I was wondering this myself. It has to be glasses. There's no other way people would just let him casually record everything without even saying a word.

Slowdive, you should make some videos! Salin' with Slowdive!

Feedback on the video itself, I enjoyed it, but it was kind of slow. I didn't mind it because it was cool seeing it all from the first-person point of view. One thing though; the whole "we didn't find shit" schtick was funny up until the 3rd time, then it just got really annoying. A little overkill on that, but it was still a great video. I even subscribed.

[quote name='IkilledLassic']Hey All. Wanted to wish you all a Happy Holidays. The yard saling has ceased in my area, but I have tons of old footage that I need to edit, etc and put on Youtube. With that being said, here is the next in my series of Garage Sales LIVE. It's all about the trials and tribulations of finding close to nothing in the wild.

Once again, thanks to all of you who put in the time and work to post stories and pictures to this thread. It's extremely enjoyable.

There are some curses, so it's not exactly suitable for work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCZGRN2tC7o&feature=g-all-c&context=G29e9bd1FAAAAAAAAFAA[/QUOTE]

That was a really nice buy on the ROB/NES package.

[quote name='slowdive21']Could you let me know what device you are using to record? Are they glasses?[/QUOTE]
Either that or a hat/cap. Both of his hands are free. I can't stand to watch long enough to know more than that.

They are glasses. I try to blur out individuals to protect their identities. I would enjoy seeing your escapades in the wild.

[quote name='DCpinoy']That was a really nice buy on the ROB/NES package.[/QUOTE]

Thanks bud.

[quote name='Tsel']I was wondering this myself. It has to be glasses. There's no other way people would just let him casually record everything without even saying a word.

Slowdive, you should make some videos! Salin' with Slowdive!

Feedback on the video itself, I enjoyed it, but it was kind of slow. I didn't mind it because it was cool seeing it all from the first-person point of view. One thing though; the whole "we didn't find shit" schtick was funny up until the 3rd time, then it just got really annoying. A little overkill on that, but it was still a great video. I even subscribed.[/QUOTE]

Agreed on the overkill. I just didn't have time, or was too lazy to change techniques at the point. As to the overall speed, I don't have any other method, unless showing all finds until the end of the video. Thanks for the comments.

[quote name='IkilledLassic']
Agreed on the overkill. I just didn't have time, or was too lazy to change techniques at the point. As to the overall speed, I don't have any other method, unless showing all finds until the end of the video. Thanks for the comments.[/QUOTE]
Like I said, it was funny the first few times. I actually lol'd the first couple of times. Then it was just like, this again? I didn't mind the speed. I like seeing the entirety of the garage sale. It makes it more realistic and fun to watch. It shows that you don't always score amazing finds.

[quote name='slowdive21']Could you let me know what brand/model of glasses and cost? I may look into them (originally no pun intended).[/QUOTE]

LOL that is the greatest unintentional pun ever.

After 2 slow weekends in Orlando, today was full of yard sells. I promised my girlfriend we would hit the flea so we didn't go to many but this weekend included

Pokemon Gold and Silver GB - $3 apiece
Road Rash 3do Complete w/ soundtrack - $1
Lost World Saturn COmplete - $2
Marios Early years cart only SNES - $1
Thunder and Lightning NES cart only - $1
Halo 3 complete - $2 (gasve to friend)
Star Wars Master of Teras Kasi complete PS1 - $1
Crystals Pony Gen cart only - $1
Final Fantasy IX complete - $1.50
Humans GEN - .75 cents
Mega Max SNES cart only - .75
Krustys Funhouse GEn w/ case - no manual - .75 cents
Mechwarrior 2000 SNES cart only - .75 cents
Nobunuga's Ambition Cart only SNES - .75 cents

I got various other things and games but the find of the week was a craigslist Magic lot that cost $40 but included Revised Dual lands (2 sell for $70 on ebay and the other 2 sell for $40 - I didnt realize they were in the lot when I made my offer). The lot also included several cards that sell for $10 on ebay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back