Official 2011 Yard Sale Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='schultzed']ttocs, nice find . . . any pics?

Not a whole lot to report . . . not the slim that SaraAB found, just slim pickings.

On Friday, I hit just something like 5 sales and they were poor at that. I did go to some thrifts and was excited when I saw an Atari flashback 2 in box but pissed when I saw it was $39.99. I bought a big group of music books (maybe 75 about half of which are worth selling) for $60 at one shop--they were marked $7-9 each but the woman running this odd little thrift wanted to deal.

A sale that mentioned games wasn't to start until noon and I had to be at a meeting at 1 . . . so I stopped by at 11. The sale was inside and at first I was disappointed when I saw only about 12 games and initially didn't think I'd get any but picked out these:

My offer of $1 each was accepted. All are complete except Conker but I picked up one with no artwork a few weeks ago . . . So, I'll keep the disc only one.[/QUOTE]

Nice picks there, DA2 is a personal "don't want to pay full price" white whale of mine. :)

Ironically the weather was good for me last Sat. but not enough in yard sales to make it worthwhile running around. Instead I used the time to trade in three boxes of books to a used book store for $28, and dumped a comics longbox elsewhere for $20. Pretty much broke even on that last one, but I got to pull out the comics I wanted so it wasn't that bad of a deal.

It's funny, the same comic shop also dabbles in vintage games but the prices are pretty laughable ($9.99 for a Platoon cart only?) You know, you try to help local businesses by looking for things to buy, but so far it's like they want me to wait for them to go out of business before they make a sale *smacks forehead*

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']$9.99 for a Platoon cart only?[/QUOTE]

I had this game back in the day don't ask me why, I can't even remember if I ended up with it as a gift or if I actually picked it out myself (hopefully not the latter). I could see some people not wanting to play this game even if they were getting paid 9.99 to wonder around in the maze like jungle that the first level is. I mainly remember using a map to deal with that nightmare :)

I am going to check out this moving sale advertised with ps2 and n64 games. The thing is that it is an indoor sale, and since I've never been to one before, are there any advice that any CAGers would give? I'm not a buff guy by any means...so just want to be safe than sorry.

Edit: okay, so I survived and made it back in one piece. lol. Grabbed 6 N64 games for $10. It was a N64 bundle for $35, with the standard black/gray N64 console, 1 light gray controller, 1 yellow controller with a rumble pack I believe along with the 6 games. Since I already have the console, I asked the lady if she will sell the games separately, she wanted $3 a piece. I offered $8 for all. She countered with $10, I accepted the offer since I have to get into work. (I'm still a noob when it comes to yardsaling 8-[)

Got the following, WWF No Mercy, Turok Dinosaur Hunter, Scooby Doo Classic Creep Capers, Super Mario 64, Zelda Orcarina of Time, and Starfox 64. Will probably keep the latter three and sell the rest along with some others I have as a bundle.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='doodmandood']So do you flip these games?

Or is it just boxes and boxes of N64's in your home?[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I am traveling, so I am not going to be on for a few more days.. Boxes and boxes at my house right now. I have sold some systems though. My estimated count is 11 NES, 2 toploaders, 9 Genesis, 18-20 Gamecubes, 10-12 n64, 4 snes. These are my non boxed ones.

Had a heck of a find today. I don't know if any of it works yet, but still:

Turbographix 16 system
Turbo express portable system :hot:

Bonk's Adventure
Dungeon Explorer
Keith Courage in Alpha Zones
Victory Run

All for $10. Pretty cool, since the last time I've seen a Turbographix 16 was when I was about...eight years old? Looks like I'll have to do some research on the CD attachment and whether these things can be made to play imports.

I want to shinku-shoryuken you in the testicle.

I've been dying for a TGFX16 since my mom sold mine when I was like 10 :(.

I didn't have a bad day though.

Mario Kart 64 - $2

PS2 Slim - $5

2 Gameboy Advance SPs
Pokemon Emerald
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Red
Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga - $10

[quote name='AugustAPC']I want to shinku-shoryuken you in the testicle.

I've been dying for a TGFX16 since my mom sold mine when I was like 10 :(.

I didn't have a bad day though.

Mario Kart 64 - $2

PS2 Slim - $5

2 Gameboy Advance SPs
Pokemon Emerald
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Red
Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga - $10[/QUOTE]

*Fights it off with a Chun-Li Lightning kick*

Yeah, for some reason I always considered the TurboGrafx-16 to be a rich kid's system, but it's kinda cool since it ties into my roundabout interest in the PC Engine / later parts of the Valis series. :cool:

Nice picks there too; SPs, pokemons, and marios for the n64 are all steady flippers.

Also if anyone cares about textbook knowledge, I stopped at a gun-range flea market of all things and--being that nothing else of value was there--I took a gamble on a stack of 10-15 books for $9. Dates ranged from 2008-2011 with many duds; however...

Physical Geography, 9th ed. (Gabler)
Visualizing Elementary Social Studies Methods (John Lee)
A valuable National Geographic book, unbelievable!
Case Studies in Information Technology Ethics, 2nd ed. (Spinello)

These should yield me $90.75 in Amazon credit if everything goes as planned. Needless to say I love finding stuff like this as a cheap source of credit--much easier and less risk involved than trying to convert clearance games (I never find these anyhow) or Gamestop credit.

Found quite a lot today (mostly books and stuff) but there were a few things that stand out.
1979 Uno set (brand new, box is in rough shape though)
DSCF0141-1.jpg

And these two Famicom games (they have games like Bomberman, Xevious, Tiger Heli, Mario Bros., etc... on them) that came with Honey Bee adapters
DSCF0138-1.jpg

DSCF0140.jpg

DSCF0139-2.jpg

If anyone has info on these games, I'd love to hear it, since I have no clue what they are. They do work though, I just spent a few minutes playing Dig Dug on one of them. :p

EDIT:, ahh, nevermind. I figured they were bootlegs, just wanted to make sure, but I found out myself...

Last edited by a moderator:
Decent day today.

Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring DVD - $1
Puff the Magic Dragon Kids DVD - $1 (OOP)
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 09 PS3 - $1

Resident Evil Code: Veronica X PS2
Castlevania: Lament of Innocence PS2 $4 for both

CD's $1 each
Talking Heads - Sand In The Vaseline
Radiohead - The Bend
Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream
Smashing Pumpkins - Perfect

Merely okay, but I'm happy.

GameCube no cords or controllers and Madden 11 PS3 - $5. I've been holding onto the GC cords and 1 controller for a few months now, so I can finally sell it.

Today's Finds:

Brand new stratego game, 1999 edition $3, its still sealed.

Silent Hil PS1 greatest hits - $1

Wing Commander prophecy gold edition 50 cents (PC Game)

Lords royal collection 50 cents (PC Game)

[quote name='ROB64']

And these two Famicom games (they have games like Bomberman, Xevious, Tiger Heli, Mario Bros., etc... on them) that came with Honey Bee adapters

DSCF0139-2.jpg

If anyone has info on these games, I'd love to hear it, since I have no clue what they are. They do work though, I just spent a few minutes playing Dig Dug on one of them. :p

EDIT:, ahh, nevermind. I figured they were bootlegs, just wanted to make sure, but I found out myself...[/QUOTE]

*Squints* You know, the (famicom to nes?) adaptors themselves might be worth some money; there's guys on Nintendoage looking for those.

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']*Fights it off with a Chun-Li Lightning kick*[/QUOTE]

I gots'ta be real with you bro. In just about any game you throw out a Hyakuretsukyaku in attempt to counter a Shin Shoryu, you're gonna end up eating some serious damage.

Just sayin'.

3 SNES Games - 5
The Gift of Mogwai (Book & Record, New) - 1

Went to one yardsale the next town over, asked about video games and when I went into details about what kind of older games I'd be interested in Jr suggested and was given the ok from mom to go inside and round up some SNES games they don't play. He came back and they wanted 3 each and I offered 5 for all, he had to check with mom and she didn't want to do that so I offered 5 for the 3 I got. She said I could have all 5 for 10 which I declined on. The games I passed on were FIFA International Soccer & Super Caesar's Palace. On the way home I did an impromptu stop at a yardsale I was passing right by that I've been to before and grabbed the book, didn't bother to haggle since they were raising money for the SPCA.

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']Looks like I'll have to do some research on the CD attachment and whether these things can be made to play imports.[/QUOTE]

TurboCD/TurboDuo - I don't think you can play Pal games but you can play any NTSC games without any tinkering.

I'm not sure if you were also interested in import HuCards of any sorts but IIRC you need a converter type thing that goes monkey in the middle like a Game Genie that I can't remember the name of ATM and it's rather expensive online from what I've seen. Nice find even if the speaker for the TurboExpress is bad and if it works a MUCH better find :)

@rustyrage it's The Bends which I'm thinking you know and was just a typo :D

I'm no expert on Famicom bootlegs but as soon as I saw artwork from Revenge of Shinobi on a Famicom game I knew it had to have been a bootleg.

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']*Squints* You know, the (famicom to nes?) adaptors themselves might be worth some money; there's guys on Nintendoage looking for those.[/QUOTE]
Thanks, I've been looking around trying to find exactly how much they're worth, but I'm thinking I might sit on them for awhile (in case I find some real FamiCom games to use them with.)

[quote name='FOnewearl']TurboCD/TurboDuo - I don't think you can play Pal games but you can play any NTSC games without any tinkering.

I'm not sure if you were also interested in import HuCards of any sorts but IIRC you need a converter type thing that goes monkey in the middle like a Game Genie that I can't remember the name of ATM and it's rather expensive online from what I've seen. Nice find even if the speaker for the TurboExpress is bad and if it works a MUCH better find :)

@rustyrage it's The Bends which I'm thinking you know and was just a typo :D

I'm no expert on Famicom bootlegs but as soon as I saw artwork from Revenge of Shinobi on a Famicom game I knew it had to have been a bootleg.[/QUOTE]

Most everything works actually, including the portable's speaker. The only downside was that the prongs for both TG16 controllers were gone--I guess I wasn't the only kid with memories of these being destroyed.

Yeah, I'm not sure which way I'm going to go with it yet; if the game I want goes for $30 on the TG16 I'd at least consider talking to one of these repro guys first--for all I know it could be put in an SNES cart.

[quote name='AugustAPC']I gots'ta be real with you bro. In just about any game you throw out a Hyakuretsukyaku in attempt to counter a Shin Shoryu, you're gonna end up eating some serious damage.

Just sayin'.[/QUOTE]

Pardon me, I was thinking of the hundred-hand slap. It's been how many years since I played a fighter? ;) (quite a few, and I was always more of the casual cheapshot type)

Went to able 5 or 6 sales today. THe one sale where I went to and asked for video games, was told that they have a SNES and games. But the lady couldn't find it :(. Figured it was sold...DARN!

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']Had a heck of a find today. I don't know if any of it works yet, but still:

Turbographix 16 system
Turbo express portable system :hot:

Bonk's Adventure
Dungeon Explorer
Keith Courage in Alpha Zones
Victory Run

All for $10. Pretty cool, since the last time I've seen a Turbographix 16 was when I was about...eight years old? Looks like I'll have to do some research on the CD attachment and whether these things can be made to play imports.[/QUOTE]

Outstanding find!!!

Did the CD attachment come with a system card? you probably know this, but you'll need one in order to play CD based games....the system card goes in the turbo grafx, and there are 3 different ones for the US system: version 2.0, 3.0, and the arcade card. The CD attachment will play PC engine CD's with no modification. You just need to be careful of which system card the CD requires. If the case says Super CD, then you need the 3.0, and obviously if the case says Arcade, you need the arcade card. There weren't that many games released in the US that required the arcade card, thus it's kinda rare and fetches $$ on the secondary market.) If you want to play PC engine Hucards , you'll need one of these converters:

IMG_2643.jpg

plug the PC engine Hucard in the end, then plug the whole thing into the turbo, and you're good to go. You can also use one of these converters to use a Japanese system card (for example a japanese Arcade card tends to be cheaper then a US one, and there are more Arcade CDs released for the PC engine, so you could use the Japanese arcade card with a converter to play the PC engine arcade CD games)

I'm a big fan of the Turbo/PC engine; one of the jewels of my collection is my PC Engine Duo-RX that's been modded to play US hu cards...this thing will play any game out there :) So if you have any questions, I might be able to help you out.

Wow, that's a lot of info there that I didn't know about Jedi; I thank you for the guidance. It actually doesn't include the CD attachment, but does include the front port. I'll try to keep the system card factor in mind *nod*

NP. the turbo/pc engine is one of my favorite systems for collecting. The system was supported way longer in Japan then in the US, so there's a lot of interesting games available for the PC engine.
I forgot to note on the system cards, the higher cards will play all the CDs below it too (so if you had the system 3.0, it'll paly the super CDs and the basic ones too, no need to switch it out)

Getting the system modded to play other regions is usually pretty easy, if I remember correctly, the only difference between us and japanese cards are just the two end pins are reversed. That converter will also work with the portable system that you found, but I'm always leary of having that big 'diving board' sticking out of my portable!

there was a big indoor "rummage" thing going on near here, so i checked it out. $2 entry fee or 2 perishable goods donation. At least it felt like a good cause for admission.

Really was more of a flea market. people reselling junk from stores that have gone out of business at too high of a price, loads of ugly "antiques" and cheap chinese childrens toys junk. a $75 atari 2600. Bleh.

I did get a SNES game (Jungle Strike) and an NES game (Indiana Jones Last Crusade) for $3 each, and a doctor doom figurine for my desk at work for $7. But still, disappointing all around.

2 NES Systems (One Boxed)
3 1st Party Controllers
1 1st Party AC Adaptor
2 1st Party RF Adaptors
Dr Mario & Rush'n Attack

Won at a local auction for 12 but after buyer's premium & tax it came up to 13.99

Pretty good weekend, i think im officially in the trading card business even though I know nothing about it

I got

Boxed Nes with Star Tropics and Dr. Mario - $5
10+ game boy advance game boxes - Free
Sailor Moon (Mercury) Japanese Book for the girlfriend - .50 cents
200+ Pokemon cards - $1.50 (selling 1 on ebay for $10, havent priced the rest)
2 disney DVDs - $1 apiece (flipping on ebay for $10 apiece to pay for gas)
2 Comics - Where Monsters Roam #2 and #5 in VF+ condition - $1 apiece
2000+ Yu-gi-Oh cards - $5

and the find of the week....

An autographed 1958/59 photo of the Yankees infield (Bobby Richardson, Clete Boyer, Moose Skowron, and Tony Kubek) for $10 (guy wanted $40) - this was priceless as I gave it to my father who grew up with this being the Yankees infield. The guy who sold it to me recieved it from one of the players grandkid.

If anyone knows anything about Yu-gi-Oh and where the best place to unload them, please let me know. I've spent an hour educating myself on them and see that I have several sought after cards (such as 3 solemn judgments). Total, I have 23 ultra rares, 133 rares, 7 Secret Rares, and 110 Super rares. Box also came with a Tekken 5 Data card and a Sub-Zero promo card.

Selling a single Pokémon card for $10? I honestly didn't think there any still worth that much. I remember when my humble collection (probably less than 100 cars) used to be worth an assload of money, but I think most of 'em are pretty worthless now. Unless there's been an unexpected spike of interest...

[quote name='ZombieToast']Selling a single Pokémon card for $10? I honestly didn't think there any still worth that much. I remember when my humble collection (probably less than 100 cars) used to be worth an assload of money, but I think most of 'em are pretty worthless now. Unless there's been an unexpected spike of interest...[/QUOTE]

Quite a few cards are worth more than $10. I have a card that regularly goes or $20-$40.

Its a Lugia 9/111, completed listings has it on average for $8 - $12. It will pay for half my yard saling this weekend. I got a few more $3-$4 ones so that was a buck fifty well spent.

Interesting, I thought all of the cards had become pretty much worthless like Beanie Babies. I remember when you could easily get $75 for a holo Charizard and now it looks like people can't even get $15 for it. I'm curious to see which cards of mine still retain some value (my poor promo Mew sure as hell doesn't), although I don't plan on selling any of them.

I still have a binder of rare promo/ 1st edition holo's that I never got rid of. I might toss them up on the bay when I have some free time.

[quote name='ZombieToast']Interesting, I thought all of the cards had become pretty much worthless like Beanie Babies. I remember when you could easily get $75 for a holo Charizard and now it looks like people can't even get $15 for it. I'm curious to see which cards of mine still retain some value (my poor promo Mew sure as hell doesn't), although I don't plan on selling any of them.[/QUOTE]

First thing I ever sold on eBay was a 1st edition Charizard back in the Spring of 1999 for $300. They were fetching $200 - $400 pretty steadily back then.

[quote name='Doomstink']First thing I ever sold on eBay was a 1st edition Charizard back in the Spring of 1999 for $300. They were fetching $200 - $400 pretty steadily back then.[/QUOTE]
Damn, that must've been after I stopped checking prices on them! When I was searching, I think most kids were convinced that they still had a chance of finding him.

Ah, this reminds me of my Beanie Baby selling days. I miss throwing those suckers on eBay and getting $300-$400 each for them. My mom and I would spend hundreds of dollars on those things at stores around town and then make all of our money back (plus profit) after selling only a couple of bears. Certainly made for an exciting childhood. Ha ha.

[quote name='ZombieToast']Damn, that must've been after I stopped checking prices on them! When I was searching, I think most kids were convinced that they still had a chance of finding him.

Ah, this reminds me of my Beanie Baby selling days. I miss throwing those suckers on eBay and getting $300-$400 each for them. My mom and I would spend hundreds of dollars on those things at stores around town and then make all of our money back (plus profit) after selling only a couple of bears. Certainly made for an exciting childhood. Ha ha.[/QUOTE]

People here were buying the McDonald's ones and then reselling them right in the parking lot. Almost every McD's had a few people sitting outside with a trunk loaded with beanie babies. It was so bad that most people would buy the toys and then throw the food away since they wouldn't sell the toys separate. Some McD's even had a special line reserved for beanie baby customers and then a regular line for those who just wanted to buy other food items. Most McD's had recordings saying which toys they had for the day when you called. Back then no one cared that you were selling things in the parking lot and happy meals were only $1.99 not the $3 and over they are today (at least here).

I worked retail during the Pokemon card craze, it wasn't too bad, but I was at a store where people didn't usually come in for that stuff, if I was at TRU it would have been much worse. I wouldn't want to deal with a craze like that today, people are far nastier and much more rude and demanding then they were back then.

Ha ha, that takes me back. I know exactly what you're talking about. I don't think our McDonald's had separate lines, but it was still pretty bad. Some of the places would actually let us buy the toys by themselves, but because of those that wouldn't, our freezer was full of Happy Meals. I ate those disgusting burgers for weeks! But like you said, at least they were only $1.99 back then.

Personally, I think a lot of people were still pretty nasty back then. I mean, we often had to wait in line for two hours at FuncoLand or Nordstrom's just for one freakin' bear, which made people pretty damn cranky. Disney beanies were also really popular for a while and we once spent almost an entire day buying "signed" Merlins (you could only buy one at a time, so we'd wait in line all over again). As soon as they were announced as being sold out, there was a small riot and people who had just walked out of the store were then selling them for $100-$200 each (and people were buying). We had about 12; selling just one on eBay covered the cost of all of them and made us a profit.

It's crazy, but I've seen my fair share of fights break out over those toys. One woman damn near died after waiting in the sun for hours and then having a bad seizure. And does anyone remember how crazy it was when N64 came out? My grandma literally fought another woman at Target so she could get me one for Christmas.

Ladies and Gents of the G' Salin community. Great season to all! I know some of you warm weather cats have some sales to go, but, the cold weather folks, like myself, are virtually done with yard sales for the season. But, I wanted to tell all of you that I dug all of the stories, pictures, and finds of the season.

I mentioned awhile back that I was going to attempt to record garage salin' live. AND I DID. In fact, I have tons of footage that I'll post to my YouTube channel in the future. Anyway, check it out if you have time. It's a long video, but you get to see some of the haggling, etc. I've blurred out any bystanders to prevent any legal ramifications.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDq8jpBkkbE&feature=channel_video_title

Alright, I'm out. Once again, good luck to everyone in their late season finds!

[quote name='TheHelix']ZombieToast rate Uncle Herb's out of 10[/QUOTE]
I'd be happy to, but I've never actually eaten there and they closed down a few years ago. They were apparently pretty good, though. Sadly, I didn't get to eat out much as a kid, so I'm not the best person to ask about eateries in Oxnard (although I do know a couple of decent places).

I'm digging the mask; it's a bummer though that they didn't have the game for D2 (Dreamcast).

Speaking of D2...how much would you say that's worth? Someone around here is selling it for $20 and it just seems like a bit much to me. It's hard using eBay to gauge the value because most copies I see on there are either Japanese or incomplete.

[quote name='ZombieToast']Speaking of D2...how much would you say that's worth? Someone around here is selling it for $20 and it just seems like a bit much to me. It's hard using eBay to gauge the value because most copies I see on there are either Japanese or incomplete.[/QUOTE]

$20 sounds about right on the asking price; however it might be something to keep in mind that the price is more about it being uncommon than it being a quality game (I'd just like to see how cheesy it is).

Another thing to factor in is sales ranking (not so great), I know with the original D for Playstation I've seen that sucker dip down to $10, especially if there are any completeness or condition issues. These titles are definitely irregular, on one day a nutso collector might pay $20 at a lowball, on the next it might totally bomb. I know when I tried flipping a D and a Heart of Darkness, each without manuals, it seemed to take forever just to get $10-14 shipped apiece.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back