Official 2011 Yard Sale Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The N64 games usually don't work unless you open them up and clean them with a pencil eraser. I have sold many games that I have done this to that previously did not work and I have never had anyone come back at me and complain that they don't work.

You will have to invest in a small screwdriver bit to open the carts but if you bring home a lot of carts its totally worth it and I am sure you can get the correct screwdriver bits for about $2-3 these days.

Off topic but does anyone have a list of Xbox Games that are NOT compatible with the Xbox 360? I have the list that are compatible but I can't seem to find a list of non compatible ones anywhere.

[quote name='slowdive21']On a related note: I finally saw the episode of Auction Hunters with my brothers friend on it (the first "Chicago" episode 206). I have to ask him about the locker they bought. It only went for $100 and it simply does not make sense, especially since it had visible stadium seats and two bikes in it. [/QUOTE]

Gee thanks a lot Slowdive . . . I didn't know about this show . . . its gonna tie up some more of my time :)

There is a marathon of the show on today on Spike TV. I caught some of the show through on demand.

Is it just me or are these guys going to squeeze themselves with this show? It's not just promoting storage auctions but also giving all kinds of advice. Newbies can pick up some good info here. I saw an episode where they picked up a locker loaded with broken TVs for $125 (no one wanted it) but their logic was sound . . . a TV repair guy's hoard. Likely to have some good stuff behind the sets.

Keep educating your competition . . . maybe they want use this as a springboard onto bigger and better things???

Went back out today to go to a place I could not get to yesterday. Nothing much there; I got a ps1 title (Pitfall 3D) for $1. Also found an old Super 8 film, House of Frankenstein. Do not know if it is worth anything, but thought it was a cool find, and it only cost $1.

I found Hot shots Golf 2 for $2 at another place.

Last stop turned out to be a moving sale that a client of mine was having. He had a Dreamcast, with 2 controllers, both with vmus and rumble packs, and an arcade stick controller as well. I asked if he had any games for it, and he said he had a big stack of games, but they were at his other house. He told me he would throw all the games in with it, and he will bring the games to my office this week. Bought it for $10. He also had some ps2 games, Onimusha 1,2, and 3, Half-Life, and Silent Hill 2. Grabbed them for another $10.

Excited to have a Dreamcast... I had one awhile ago, and loved the system. It seems one of the VMUs is not working though. Makes a long beep when the system is turned on, but the system does not detect it.

Sounds like a lot of you cleaned up this weekend. Nice! Me, I found hardly anything, so the photos were quick and easy:

Sega Genesis w/3 controllers, RF unit, power supply, instruction manual, Game Genie w/4 codebooks, and the following games (all complete): Monaco GP II, Batman Forever, Taz-Mania, Sonic & Knuckles, Bubsy, Marble Madness, Clayfighter, Dragon's Fury, Aladdin, NBA Jam, Sonic the Hedgehog, X-Men, and StarTropics (NES), $20 for all

PSX Twisted Metal 2 (complete)
PSX Twisted Metal 3 (complete), $2 for both
GC Eternal Darkness (complete), $3

NES The Guardian Legend, Tecmo NBA Basketball, Skate or Die 2, The Hunt for Red October
SNES Lagoon, Obitus, $10 for all

I feel like I went over my own personal limit, price-wise, on this stuff. It was one of those weekends where I become frustrated that I'm not finding anything mind-blowing and I just start buying random stuff so I don't come home empty-handed. I did get one absolute stunner of a find that isn't a video game item, but I won't bother posting that here. It definitely made up for the rest of the weekend, though.

I am pleased to have found 4 NES games, all in one place, that I don't already own. Even though I'm only about halfway to a complete US collection, I can go weeks without finding reasonably-priced titles that I don't have yet. Added Lagoon and Obitus on a whim. I've never even heard of, let alone laid eyes on Obitus until today. Turns out it's a first person adventure/RPG type game (?). Might be worth trying out for a bit.

The Genesis games are all in really nice shape and all include their manuals. I suppose NBA Jam isn't complete as it doesn't include the free sports cards that were originally inside, but I can now replace some of these in my collection, since some of them were cartridge-only or missing the manual.

The Turbo touch controller is excellent, I highly recommend keeping it. I have one that works perfectly and I love it. Only wish more controllers used a touch d-pad.

[quote name='schultzed']Gee thanks a lot Slowdive . . . I didn't know about this show . . . its gonna tie up some more of my time :)

There is a marathon of the show on today on Spike TV. I caught some of the show through on demand.

Is it just me or are these guys going to squeeze themselves with this show? It's not just promoting storage auctions but also giving all kinds of advice. Newbies can pick up some good info here. I saw an episode where they picked up a locker loaded with broken TVs for $125 (no one wanted it) but their logic was sound . . . a TV repair guy's hoard. Likely to have some good stuff behind the sets.

Keep educating your competition . . . maybe they want use this as a springboard onto bigger and better things???[/QUOTE]

I guess after Storage Wars became popular there wasn't any more damage that could be done by making another storage locker show. Not to mention on top of Storage Wars and Auction Hunters there is Auction Wars on Tru TV (which is the most staged of the three shows).

[quote name='Doomstink']I guess after Storage Wars became popular there wasn't any more damage that could be done by making another storage locker show. Not to mention on top of Storage Wars and Auction Hunters there is Auction Wars on Tru TV (which is the most staged of the three shows).[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I guess you're right and I overstated the case. I haven't seen Auction Wars but I do feel that Storage Wars keeps things a little more balanced because you see some misses and the hard work of making money. Auction Hunters makes it look so easy and they run light on the work.

I just saw them "appraise" an Atari 2600 in box as worth $250 . . . when he held it up, it was a 4 switcher. $100 maybe but they wouldn't get that the way that sell things off instantly.

Also Auction Hunters is giving a lot of their inside strategy. I think the show would be a textbook for those looking to do or new to doing storage auctions.

[quote name='dasme313']Finally had an epic day. Couldn't be out for long because I was going out with a friend at 11. Went to 3 yard sales and made 3 purchases. First was a Craftsmen router with a bunch of bits for $25 (was looking for just the bits, so was pretty excited). 2nd purchase was a boxed NES with all cables and ten or so (meh) games, and a boxed wii fit plus all for $30. My final purchase was $40.
With that, let's play a game called "Guess which 8 boxes are empty.

IMG_2756.jpg

That lot also came with 2 SNESs, an NES, all the hookups and a buttload of controllers. Most of the empty boxes were for games I already have but don't have boxes to. So, not too upset!

Looking forward to everyone else's finds.[/QUOTE]

All of your finds were great, but that last find is incredible. Well done sir.

More non game finds the last couple weeks ...

Bikes, $5 Unicycle, $5 Roland Piano, $5 Vintage Full Size Singer Seamstress mannequin, $15 Harley Seat....

$10 Gamecube with 3 controllers, 2 mem cards and $5 "who cares" games
$3 360 wireless controller
$.50 GBA charger
$.50 GCube controller (doesn't work)
$1 PS2 Ninja Turtle Nightmare game

But today on craigs...blew my mind!

album
006-2.jpg

$25
photobucket4mj

Had another ok week; hit about 20-25 sales when I usually hit about 35-40 on Saturday. Not really that many sales going on, since the daily highs all weekend were around 101 degrees. Some of my best finds (mega n64 lot, 48 unopened packs of pokemon cards, etc) in past weeks really spoiled me so now I half expect to hit it rich every Saturday morning. This week brings me back down to Earth a little bit, but I still did fine.

YardSalesPics108.jpg

Total paid: $4. First and best find of the day, it was about 8:30 am at a random "driving around" sale and I had been out since 6:45 and was starting to get antsy. My prior prospects had been busts, so finally, I was pretty excited when out of the corner of my eye I spotted my second jungle green n64 in as many weeks (this one with the expansion!). The price was even better than last week's. N64 w/mint controller (both items in beautiful shape, looked almost unused) was marked $3, The lot of games was rubber-banded together and marked $1, and BioShock was $1, art book was 25 cents. These prices were already quite solid, but I could not help myself but to take it one step further and offer $4 for the lot, which was accepted. Sellers were some teenage girls who seemed fairly clueless, but I can't argue with their pricing structure.

YardSalesPics122.jpg

Total paid: $5. A little later, I asked at another random sale about video games, seller said he had an "old Nintendo" inside. He brought all of this out a few minutes later, I offered $4 for everything, citing the fact that most of these NES systems need some repair (later testing at home showed this one works with red blinking light). He countered with $10, but sometimes you just know when a guy would take even a chocolate bar for something, so I countered with $5, and said that was really the best I could do. Unsurprisingly, he accepted. First NES zapper for me so that's kind of cool. I'm also unfamiliar with the red controller, I'll have to look that up.

YardSalesPics118.jpg

Total paid: $2. Found this at a random sale. This was the only video game related item at the sale. It was a little dirty and had no power supply, but I was a buyer if the price was right. I asked about it, seller offered it for $5, I cited the lack of power supply and dirtiness and offered $2, which was accepted. Controller is also a little bit nasty; might have to open that up and clean up around some buttons that don't work fully.

YardSalesPics115.jpg

Total paid: $8. This little lot was picked up Friday night. Seller advertised Xbox, SNES, and Playstation games/systems at an indoor "by appointment only" moving sale. I called and drove over, and was somewhat saddened at the fact that what he thought was an SNES was actually an N64. Systems were overpriced for my lowballing tastes, but I cherrypicked these 4 games out of what he had (which was mostly junk). Seller said that FFVIII is a collector's item and goes for $50 on ebay, but I knew he was wrong on that. Not sure as to his thought process but then he offered the lot to me for $10 total. I countered at $8, which was accepted. A little strange, but I'll take it.

Total spent all weekend: $19. A new low for me, but I think $19 went pretty far.

The next pic is a combination of a few finds that I didn't post a couple weeks ago.

YardSalesPics130.jpg

Final Fantasy, Mario Sunshine, and Zelda I got for $2 each. I arrived at 8am (starting time for them) and the games were not out yet, so the Mom went inside and told her young son to get the games he did not want anymore. He picked these and a few more, which I passed on. A solid $6 spent. They were all minty complete, too.

Xenosaga II and III were from a random sale at about noon that had just sold their ps2 and some games a few minutes before I arrived. Apparently, the buyer was not interested in these two games, but I did not mind taking the scraps for $1 each.

Next door a woman had a rubbermaid filled with mostly junky Xbox Sports games, and just a couple decent titles buried way below the surface. Being the dumpster diver that I am, I dug through the abyss and pulled out a minty complete copy of Skies of Arcadia: Legends. Also saw a couple others I was semi-interested in, but the woman would not budge on price at "$3 each firm, nothing less, no bundle deals". In retrospect, I kind of wish I had taken the copy of Fable for Xbox that I saw for $3, as it was in good shape and complete, but she kind of annoyed me so I didn't feel like giving her much of my money. Still, a good find at $3 for sure.

Squirtle stuffy made by Toy Factory was 25 cents at a random sale. Could not resist him, later found at home that he sells for about $15 used. I like him better on my shelf though than to flip him. He says he likes that better too.

Posting some recent finds in the Thrift Store Finds thread soon too, check them out!

Forgot to post these with yesterday's stuff. Nothing fancy. A buck each.

Street Fighter Eternal Challenge (some sort of anthology book??)
Wanted graphic novel, $2 for both

So, at less than $5 for the lot..

Broken DS Lite, Resident Evil 3 GH (PS1), Bomberman 64, Castlevania 64, Mortal Kombat 3 SNES, Megaman X4 GH (PS1), DreamCast Web Browser 2.0 sealed, and..

A TurboGrafx 16, with Turbo Booster attached. An interesting week. Got lazy on the pics, but they're on the blog.

Slowdive, where are your finds?

BTW, For those looking for flipping tips, just sold this sealed game on Amazon for $65:

Sealed boardgames are a good risk (when picked up cheap) especially these odd-ball branded types.

Yes, I'll almost always pick up a sealed board game for a few bucks at a yard sale if it looks interesting. I picked up the Star Wars Monopoly from the 1990s a few weeks ago for $5. Also got the Worst-Case Scenario Survival game for $1 about 2 months back. Both were sealed.

[quote name='schultzed']Slowdive, where are your finds?

BTW, For those looking for flipping tips, just sold this sealed game on Amazon for $65:

Sealed boardgames are a good risk (when picked up cheap) especially these odd-ball branded types.[/QUOTE]

gah, color me jealous, sold a sealed Lord of the Rings Trilogy Monopoly for $38 yesterday also .... (paid $2 at a sale a couple weeks ago and paid asking price to the young man running his mini cash register...lol)

[quote name='schultzed']Slowdive, where are your finds?
[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I've been pretty busy the last few days. The guys never contacted me again about the games his son was bringing, but I have their phone number.

I do have my pics done, I just haven't uploaded them yet. I got rained out most of the weekend, so it will only be 2 posts this week. I also started playing Borderlands again, so that doesn't help my productivity. :joystick:

Day 1: Wife went out alone today. Brought this back home.

NES System with Controllers, Hookups & 77 Games - $50

Didnt notice that there were duplicates :{ but either way im happy about it.

100_0456.jpg

100_0457.jpg

100_0455.jpg

100_0454.jpg

100_0453.jpg

100_0452.jpg

Sucks that Wario's Woods Label is ripped :cry:

[quote name='mitchondria']Day 1: Wife went out alone today. Brought this back home.

NES System with Controllers, Hookups & 77 Games - $50

Didnt notice that there were duplicates :{ but either way im happy about it.

Sucks that Wario's Woods Label is ripped :cry:[/QUOTE]

I HATE you. I still need about 75% of those games for my collection. :(

Update on the dreamcast system I picked up last week for $10.

It came with 2 controllers and an arcade stick. The guy I bought it from said he would bring all his games to me at my office. i was not really thinking he would but today, I got the games.

Shenmue
NFL2K
Carrier
Blue Stinger
Resident Evil Code:Veronica
Slave Zero
Max Steel
Sword of the Berserk
The Ring: Terror's Realm
Soul Fighter
Zombie Revenge

All complete! Not anything crazy byt still some decent stuff.

Sorry everyone. I had family visit form out of state, so I was downtown yesterday and I have been playing catch-up all day (after sales of course) ;)

$1 total for 2 SEALED puzzles

d2882cee.jpg

MISC DVDs, Cds, VHS $5 total

ebeffab0.jpg

Xbox game and 3 DS chargers (now I won't have to hesitate/make the same mistake on a DS purchase) $4 total

2a4b6f17.jpg

6 Girlie Posters Still sealed $1 total (Kelly Brook, Jakki Degg, etc)

208ebff6.jpg

3 gamecube games $5 total

9027dfe2.jpg

SNES with 4 games $10

5c08159d.jpg

Simpsons Season 5 SEALED, Shenmue, Street Fighter 3 Double Impact $13 total. Finally got a mint / complete copy of Shenmue (except the case).

0eebd56b.jpg

More to come :bouncy:

[quote name='jaysapathy']Is that Kirby's Dreamland 3 I see?[/QUOTE]
I believe that's Kirby's Avalance unfortunately. Would have been quite the pickup if it were Dreamland 3 though...

[quote name='Tsel']More great finds Slowdive![/QUOTE]

Thanks!

[quote name='jaysapathy']Is that Kirby's Dreamland 3 I see?[/QUOTE]

I wish it was!

[quote name='tooshorty6432168']I believe that's Kirby's Avalance unfortunately. Would have been quite the pickup if it were Dreamland 3 though...[/QUOTE]

This is correct, but I am happy to have Lost Vikings. :)

Expanded my vinyl collection quite a bit today. Found a lot of about 120 vinyls for only $5.00. Somes of the highlights include

Led Zeppelin
Electric Light Orchestra
Black Sabbath
Foreigner
ACDC
Aerosmith
and many more of that genre.

Kept about 50 and gave the rest to my friend.

Just a heads up getting a universal lithium ion battery charger is a great investment if you have devices that need chargers but you don't have the proprietary charger (if they have lithium ion batteries). The charger works just like any other you move the needles on the charger to the pins on the battery its very easy trust me and it will charge up the battery so you can get your devices working again. I paid $5 for a vivitar one on clearance at Kmart and I couldn't be happier with it.

Going to a "HUGE TOOL SALE" tomorrow morning, hopefully there are some things I can add to my tool box there (or my ebay selling page. :) )

Thursday find - I didnt go out today and cant go tomorrow, but this was a pleasant find so I dont mind much.

Stopped by an unadvertised sale while getting back from my girlfriend's house.
1001334c.jpg

I cleaned and tested them and they all work well. I couldnt get the initials off however hard I tried, though.

Edit: $15 total

[quote name='Potatoeman']Thursday find - I didnt go out today and cant go tomorrow, but this was a pleasant find so I dont mind much.

1001334c.jpg

I cleaned and tested them and they all work well. I couldnt get the initials off however hard I tried, though.

Edit: $15 total[/QUOTE]

Go to the local "Dollar Tree" store, go to the cleaning section and grab a bottle of "LA Awesome Cleaner" it's usually in a clear bottle and is a sort of orange/yellow color. Put that on a paper towel and wipe the marker AWAY from the label. If it's still there after a few wipes, just put a little on you finger an put it directly on the marker and rub it around, it should come off. The absolute almost surefire way of cleaning marker.... Brake cleaner.

Hit up three today. Snagged a 15" Dell LCD monitor for $5 (Dell E153FPc) has the power cord but I need to dig around and find a video to test it out. Saw a copy of Madden 06 (360) for $5 and obviously passed. Saw some Wii games for $5 and PS2 games for $2 at the final yard sale (where I got the monitor). Didn't see anything notable for flipping and I don't own either system so eh.

swagwb.jpg

A good start for the day, estate sale later.

Mario Kart 64 and Mario Party 2 were 9 for both, the batman books were fifty cent each and the Wicked Witch book was 75 cents.

[quote name='Potatoeman']Thursday find - I didnt go out today and cant go tomorrow, but this was a pleasant find so I dont mind much.

1001334c.jpg

Edit: $15 total[/QUOTE]

Nice finds on the Zeldas and Smash Bros, for some reason the n64 and gamecube Zeldas are hot right now. o_O

Well, I can't post pics this week because everything is being sold immediately so I have no time to, but I today once again proved wrong the person who last week said "You'll never find Modern Warfare 2 for less than $10."

Sale yesterday.

$4 for both.

:ps3: Lego Batman
:ps3: 3rd party wireless controller.

Today

$10 for both.

:ps3: Uncharted 2
:ps3: CoD : Modern Warfare 2

PS1 with 5 PS2 games, book of disk only PS1 games, and 2 PS1 with cases, $3.

Just went to 3 sales today. Picked up all the Wii games they had at this sale (don't get too excited, it was only 2 games...)

Disney Princess: Enchanted Journey
Barbie as The Island Princess

Paid $5 for both

I thought they'd be worth something after hearing that the Barbie Xbox games and such are worth a bit. These aren't worth nothing so I'm good. :)

One of the other sales had like 10 PS2 games and a million PC games but they were all marked $10 each (some $5) and were all sports titles so I passed obviously.

Alright, today was a day of unexpected finds:

1. Sale 1 advertised xbox and ps1 games, so naturally I'm all gung-ho and get there 20 minutes early to get first dibs on their single copy of Red Faction ps2 and a few xbox gems like Sneak King. :roll: However, they had a basket of $1 gamecube controllers that they didn't advertise and which I was all over in a hesitating way that got them to self-discount, paid $2 for 3 official controllers.

2. Sale 2 was a little side street community sale of four houses, about a street or two away from where the action was advertised to be at. Anyhow I talked to a young bearded guy who seemed to be of the right demographic and he said, "Let me check back in the house." [for some nes and n64 accessories]. So naturally he comes out with the following instead XD

Metal Gear Solid (GH, Complete)
and gameboy carts of all things:
Link's Awakening
Super Mario Land
Super Mario Land 2
Pokemon Pinball

He asks a buck apiece on the gameboy stuff, which I'm cool with (except for the Pokemon Pinball which I'm kinda pushing away and giving a funny eye at) and on the Metal Gear he wants $5, which is a little higher than I'd like; I mention that fact and we settle on $5 for all. :bouncy: I'm pretty stoked with this find, since (besides the pokemon) these were all titles I played in the past but for one reason or another were missing from my current collection.

3. Last stop, the tot swap. Usually pink isn't my scene but I was tipped off by one of the yardsale people that there were mainstream video games to be found. Alright, so I get inside of this thing (and it's funny that they have a security checkpoint set-up to stop shoplifting, since it's mainly yardsale-type items) and the good news is there's an area with DVDs games, and some textbooks. However, it's also a consignment sale, so to my horror I turn over pc shovelware with $8 price tags on the back, the occasional $10-15 crap ds or ps3 game, the computer science textbook from 2003 that's marked $15 (you know it's bad when books are high :drool:)

Anyhow, I'm about to leave when I see this all mummified in plastic like a date nut bread loaf.

"PS1 console with 8 games for $30."

Okay, normally not too exciting, since I expect that resellers picked all the valuable stuff the day before...but for whatever reason the plastic was blocking the view of some of game titles and I see (dun dun dun) Intelligent Qube!

So grab the package like my unborn child and take it up to the cashier to check and see if this isn't a mirage of bad discs, empty cases, and etc. Here's what it turns out to be:

The Game of Life (disc only)
GTA 2 (GH, Complete)
The Unholy War (Complete)
Intelligent Qube (Complete)
Ape Escape (disc and manual)
Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee (Complete)
Crash Team Racing (disc and back liner only)
Crash Bash (disc is FUBARed)

Not the best deal I've found, but I'm not going to let it sit and wait for the 50% markdown tomorrow (that's how I.Q.s get disappeared). Paid $31.80 for all.

[quote name='Obiwan456']Well, I can't post pics this week because everything is being sold immediately so I have no time to, but I today once again proved wrong the person who last week said "You'll never find Modern Warfare 2 for less than $10."

[/QUOTE]

Who said that?

I got MW2 for 360 (complete with nice disc) for $4 last week.

Heh, I said it and I think I must have meant at retail.

I didn't get much today, it's been almost a month since I found anything decent. I did buy a silver DS lite for $35 which isn't great by yard sale standards, but it's mint and I guess I'll be keeping it.

I had no finds today, because this time I was the one running the sale! I will always buy a system at a yard sale if I can get it for really cheap, or if I buy a bundle with good games and dont need the system but end up with it anyway, etc. I sold an Xbox, PS2 Slim, PlayStation, 2 Gamecubes, Gameboy Color, an N64, and games for each system as well (mostly junk). Along with some other odds and ends from my house, made about $500. It pained me to not get my yard saling fix for the week, but it had to be done. If a Sunday sale catches my eye tomorrow, maybe I'll go and pick something up...

Post 1

Here are the rest of last week's finds.

Remember when I said I got up early for a sale that advertised a n64 and a $50 Genesis, but when I got there she had already sold the n64 the previous night to her neighbor?

Well the Genesis was $50, but I paid $20 since it was missing the power cord.

Put it in 2 spoilers to break up the pics

9108c5da.jpg

62d1b6c8.jpg

7ec33fe5.jpg

8551bfa4.jpg

03fa7703.jpg

3e84126d.jpg

7305d92a.jpg

f34f37ab.jpg

dee33ddf.jpg

I feel like I still overpaid, but I got some uncommon games in the lot. Do 32X games work without a 32x? I left my number in case she finds more, but I haven't gotten a call back.

:bouncy:

Day 3- Not much out there today.

$10 - Didnt want to budge but the woman would not budge. wanted $5 a piece to begin with.
100_0458.jpg

$3- to replace my wired instruments

100_0460.jpg

100_0461.jpg

My best find was this for .50 cents

100_0459.jpg

Love finding things like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back