Official (2015-2016) College Football Thread OSU#1

[quote name='dmaul1114']Oy. Terrible ending to a terrible season for WVU.

Holgorsen's seat is likely to get very hot as next year will probably be even worse with all the offensive talent graduating/leaving early.[/QUOTE]

I wonder if the Chiefs will draft Geno Smith? That's been the talk for the last couple months since it looked like they would have the #1 pick and they are desperate at the QB position.

Honestly I'm not much of a Chiefs fan (Bears fan living in KC) but I don't like either of the top choices. Geno was terrible in big games and pressure situations as was Barkley.

The two bowls I'm most interested are coming up. It's a shame they're both on weeknights (Fiesta & National Championship). I hope Kansas State can slow down Oregon's offense. They will get rolled if they try to get into a shootout. The Wildcats offense is good but is in no way built to score quickly and in bunches.

Also hope Notre Dame can hang with Alabama.

Probably. I'm hoping he'll fall to the Raider's, both as I'm a fan and Geno would benefit playing behind Carson Palmer for a couple years vs. getting thrown to the wolves right away.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Probably. I'm hoping he'll fall to the Raider's, both as I'm a fan and Geno would benefit playing behind Carson Palmer for a couple years vs. getting thrown to the wolves right away.[/QUOTE]

I was pulling for West Virginia in their bowl. Gotta root for the Big 12 to represent the conference. I think the weather really put them at a huge disadvantage. They're build to air it out but they just couldn't get it rolling in the sleet.

Based on what I've heard on sports radio the city will riot if the team doesn't select a QB.

Weather didn't help. But Marrone just figured out how to stop WVU's offense. Third straight year we've lost to Syracuse (was a blow out last year too).

The other thing that really hurt was our 5th year starting center was academically ineligible. That hurt the O-line play a lot as he was the one that called out the defenses etc., and we had some snap issues, two safeties etc. as a result.

The run defense blew too which was a surprise as our run D had been ok most of the year, while the pass D was awful.

SDSU will likely go back to the MWC given Boise staying. So now what does the Big East do? They'll probably just reload and add more powerhouses. Western Kentucky and Arkansas State invite incoming, you heard it here first!

Feel bad for Cincy and UCONN since they've had decent teams in recent years. Though I'm not sure UCONN will stay that way post Edsall as they've dropped off a lot.

To a lesser extent USF. But none of the directional schools in Florida will ever contend since they just can't recruit with FSU, UF and Miami, plus all the other big time programs that come into Florida for players.

I could see the ACC trying to get to 16 to have more members in case some more jump ship for the Big 10 and/or Big 12. Would have to think that those decent Big East left overs would join Louisville in the ACC at that point, if not before if they want to get to 16.

Me too. But has to be teams that add value rather than just split the pie two more ways. So I don't see them adding say Cincy and BYU or whatever.

They've got to keep making a push for FSU and Clemson/Miami to ge the TV dollars up even higher than the current $20 million per team per year.

FSU has played waaaay down to the competition for the first 3 quarters of this game. It should have been 42-3 by halftime. This NIU team wasn't anything like the Boise States or Utahs of the past. They didn't have the size, the speed, or the flawless execution to give this Cinderella story a happy ending.

Either way, ACC went 4-2 in bowls when 1-5 was considered a strong possibility, so maybe this can be the beginning of a upturn.

Also, the Big 10's woes have led to crazy talk starting to surface.

All Big 12 teams have signed a 13 year grant of rights. Rather than having a buyout, all teams signed over all their tier 1 and tier 2 TV rights to the league. So even if they leave, they (and the conference they are in), don't get that TV money until the term is up. The Pac 12 and Big 10 have similar grants in place.

So in short, no teams are leaving those leagues. The SEC doesn't have a grant or a buyout, but no one is leaving there either. If there are any more defections from the power leagues, it will be ACC teams jumping to the Big Ten and/or Big 12 and getting replaced by Big East leftovers.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='blindinglights']...Also, the Big 10's woes have led to crazy talk starting to surface.[/QUOTE]

As cool as that would be for Big Ten fans, I'm not sure Texas and the conference could ever come to an agreement regarding revenue sharing. That would be one helluva' conference though!

Obviously, I was sad to see my Wolverines lose to S.Carolina. I was happy that they didn't get blown out but heartbroken that they couldn't pull out the victory. I do like the direction they're moving in though, I think Hoke is an excellent fit.

Guys...

I didn't actually believe Texas and their BFF would go to the Crap 10.

That's why I made the link say "crazy talk".

Texas is way too high and mighty to join a real conference, i.e. one where the other schools have influence that is equivalent to theirs.

Bit of a let down of a game. I still think Oregon is the best team in the country though. Shame the playoff didn't start this year. Would love to see how they'd do against Alabama or ND.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Glad we finally got to see that Oregon v K-State match, shame it wasn't in the NCG.

Go Ducks.[/QUOTE]

I'm thankful it wasn't. It was over after the opening kickoff and ensuing 2-point conversion. I mean, damn. What a brutal game.

If the playoff started this year we probably would have gotten ND vs Florida and Alabama vs Oregon, so K-State wouldn't have been in the mix since they were ranked 5th. Guess the committee might have went with them to avoid taking two SEC teams though....

[quote name='dmaul1114']If the playoff started this year we probably would have gotten ND vs Florida and Alabama vs Oregon[/QUOTE]

I would bet good money that playoff scenario would have heard plenty of people crying foul. Four is simply not enough and I can't imagine it's going to take more than a couple years for most people to realize that.

Agree 100%. Need 8 teams minimum for it to really work.

Not enough separation between team #4 and the next 2-4 teams that get left out.

Go to 8 teams, and sure there will still be some bitching by teams 9 and 10 that get left out. But that doesn't matter as much when you're talking teams with 2 or 3 losses vs. teams with 1 loss, or 2 losses to top teams etc. that get left out in a 4 teams playoff.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Agree 100%. Need 8 teams minimum for it to really work.

Not enough separation between team #4 and the next 2-4 teams that get left out.

Go to 8 teams, and sure there will still be some bitching by teams 9 and 10 that get left out. But that doesn't matter as much when you're talking teams with 2 or 3 losses vs. teams with 1 loss, or 2 losses to top teams etc. that get left out in a 4 teams playoff.[/QUOTE]

Yep, I totally agree. My wife and I argue about this all the time. She thinks the playoffs are a bad idea because it makes the rest of the bowls meaningless and someone will still get screwed (i.e. the NCAA tournament).

I keep telling her it's the best of both worlds. If you end up top eight or whatever the cutoff is, you get a chance to win the title. If not at least you can still qualify for a bowl. Like you say, there will still be arguments over the last teams in/out but that's still 1000 times better than the current system.

All the bowls other than the one that decides the champion are already meaningless. I mean, it's potentially cool to see your team play someone they never usually run into but at the end of the day, even something as big as K State vs. Oregon wound up being nothing more than bragging rights for Oregon.

EDIT - Go to an eight team, single elimination tournament and boom, seven games that mean something.

Manziel certainly backed up his Heisman win last night vs. Oklahoma.

Passing: 287 YDS, 2 TD, 1 INT
Rushing: 17 CAR, 229 YDS (bowl record for a QB), 2 TD

What's A&M got coming back next year? Should be a title contender the next couple years if they have the talent/experience around him.

I think we might see the Pac 12 move up in the conference power rankings to #2. All of the arguments about Big 12 being a close second behind the SEC and being the overall deepest league won't hold water now that the top two Big 12 teams were beaten so soundly in their bowls.

I don't know, Baylor crushed UCLA and Texas beat Oregon St. in the other Big 12 vs SEC games and USC got wrecked by the Yellowjackets. Arizona St. did get a big win but then again so did Oklahoma St. I'd say it's about even between the two. This bowl season has been all over the place with results, like the Louisville win over Florida, that were very unpredictable.

I think that's good though, if the games aren't going to carry any real weight they should at least be unpredictable. It would be nice if most of them were good, close games too. I find that any game won by a touchdown or less decided in its final portion is exciting, even if I don't really cheer for either team. That's what I'm hoping for with the title matchup, I just want a competitive contest.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's almost as if there isn't a single dominant conference and more parity than the media hype machine would have you believe. Of course, that doesn't draw ratings and page views, so you'll never see them admit it.

[quote name='blindinglights']I think we might see the Pac 12 move up in the conference power rankings to #2. All of the arguments about Big 12 being a close second behind the SEC and being the overall deepest league won't hold water now that the top two Big 12 teams were beaten so soundly in their bowls.[/QUOTE]

As a Pac-12 fan, the Pac-12 was awful this year, and I had been saying it all season to the dismay of my friends, but hey, most of what I turned out true.

UCLA and Oregon St were never as good as people said, UW continues to suck, WSU continues it's seemingly never ending rebuilding efforts, Cal was way worse than usual this year, USC had an awful, awful season by SC standards (and most standards actually) despite all that talent. Kiffin needs to go or get a playcaller if USC wants the opportunity to return as a power in the conference, let alone nationally.

Colorado and Utah continue to struggle, but I expected this.

Despite winning their bowl games, AZ and ASU are average/mediocre at best.

The conference is so top-heavy it's ridiculous.

[quote name='Genocidal']It's almost as if there isn't a single dominant conference and more parity than the media hype machine would have you believe. Of course, that doesn't draw ratings and page views, so you'll never see them admit it.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='munch']I think reading which conference is best based on bowl games is kind of ridiculous.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='A Happy Panda']As a Pac-12 fan, the Pac-12 was awful this year...
The conference is so top-heavy it's ridiculous.[/QUOTE]
I agree, there is more parity than E$PN and the rest of the media admits. I also agree that ranking conferences is kind of ridiculous, especially because ALL of them are almost always very top heavy most years.

Unfortunately, it doesn't matter if it's ridiculous that teams and conferences are evaluated by bowl game performances because they are. Rewind to week one, how many times did we hear "Michigan is coming off an 11 win season with a BCS bowl win" whenever the media personalities were explaining their #8 pre-season ranking. Bowl performance has a large effect on pre-season rankings, which helps shape the perception of who the best teams are and which conferences are the strongest.

As far as the rest of the Pac-12 being awful, the top of the conference tends to be what caries the most weight (look at the SEC), so Stanford and Oregon winning while Oklahoma and K-State were taken to the woodshed will probably have an effect on what the pollsters think.

You're right, the previous bowl season is always put into play the following year. I think that part of that is because there really isn't anything else to base early rankings on. There's no way to know how teams will perform on the field until they actually take it. The logic is that any indicators are better than none I guess. We can only wait and see as to how the poll voters view all of this come next season.

Side note: Do any of you frequent a NCAA Basketball thread here on CAG?

[quote name='chuckie88']You're right, the previous bowl season is always put into play the following year. I think that part of that is because there really isn't anything else to base early rankings on. There's no way to know how teams will perform on the field until they actually take it. The logic is that any indicators are better than none I guess. We can only wait and see as to how the poll voters view all of this come next season.

Side note: Do any of you frequent a NCAA Basketball thread here on CAG?[/QUOTE]

This is why I'd love to see no polls and rankings for the first X weeks of the season in football. In basketball I don't think it's as big of an issue because there's a larger sample size of games to help put things into perspective, and top schools will play each other throughout non-conference play because of how important RPI is even if they lose. There will always be complaints, but I think the biggest ones in basketball come from teams fighting for slot 68, or upset about the strength of their region.

There's been NCAA hoops threads in prior years, but they've not been very active so I didn't bother bumping or starting one this year. That along with WVU sucking this year....

Thanks for the info on the hoops thread. I kinda' figured that might be the case as far as activity level.
I really would be interested even if Michigan wasn't playing so well, of course that doesn't hurt either! ;)

Go to the Browns and try to run high speed spread option that has yet to be proven in the NFL where everyone is fast with Colt McCoy, Brandon Weeden, and Trent Richardson and slowly build the roster with a couple big stars each year.... or.... Use Nike money to have the best facilities, equipment, and a never ending stream of flashy uniforms to lure in the fastest kids from all over the country.

Chip Kelly: Uhhh yeah, I'm staying at Oregon.

Probably not anything like how it really went down, but that's the way I see it.

Jeez, it's clear who the refs are rooting for! Not that it's going to make a huge difference if Notre Dame can't stop the run but good lord! Yeah, wait until the ball is practically in your lap, then call fair catch, and get interfered with BY YOUR OWN GUY!!!!

I couldn't believe they didn't at least review that one catch from Eifert. In regular season games they review just about anything but in the BCS title game not? What are they on a tight budget and are paying a per review fee or something?

[quote name='blindinglights']This game looks like it's going to be over by halftime.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately you're right. Damn you SEC and damn you Baylor! If you had just lost to Kansas State they'd be in the title game!

You might as well add a "Damn you Ohio State" also. They finished undefeated and would have been in the title game (assuming they would have won the Big Ten championship) if they hadn't been on post season probation.

bread's done
Back