Official (2015-2016) College Football Thread OSU#1

Nothing new then as most of the Twitter buzz was started by Ermann.

He was one of the (if not the) first to break the MD story, so he does at the least have good connections to UMD sources.

Seems pretty clear the B1G wants to expand. Only question is whether the ACC can come up with a way to keep teams from leaving. Which is tough as they've failed at getting the votes needed for a Grant of Rights and there's nothing they can do to get their TV money up to the B1G level--or other major league level--as they just don't have the markets and fanbases or their own conference cable channel etc.

The other question is how big the B1G wants to go. Stop at 16? 18? Clear to 20 eventually as some rumors suggest? My guess is they take two and stop at 16 for now. Then wait and see if the SEC and Big 12 grab more ACC teams in hopes that forces ND to finally join the B1G--if nothing else they could probably get them as a partial member like the ACC has them now for the time being if the ACC falls apart.

Will be interesting to see how this pans out. With a four team playoff it makes sense to get to four major conferences that contain all/most of the major teams. Just have some hard to achieve process for the lower conferences teams to get in (especially if they play off goes to 8+ teams down the road) and things are pretty much set.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the results of the lawsuit the ACC has with MD is going to affect the stability of the ACC.

However, even if MD has to pay ACC a fine for leaving the conference. The amount of money they will make in the B1G will render that moot.

[quote name='evildeadjedi']I think the results of the lawsuit the ACC has with MD is going to affect the stability of the ACC.

However, even if MD has to pay ACC a fine for leaving the conference. The amount of money they will make in the B1G will render that moot.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. However, if the judge rules in favor of MD then the ACC is in definite trouble. It would mean that FSU could leave without having to pay an exit fee because they also voted against having the exit fee implemented.

[quote name='kill3r7']Agreed. However, if the judge rules in favor of MD then the ACC is in definite trouble. It would mean that FSU could leave without having to pay an exit fee because they also voted against having the exit fee implemented.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, if the judge rules in favor of MD, the ACC will probably be unrecognizable.

[quote name='dmaul1114']FSU isn't exactly sounding committed to the ACC with the their AD talking about discussions of options in other leagues etc.

http://espn.go.com/colleges/fsu/foo...scusses-state-florida-state-seminoles-program

Pretty big departure from that statement of solidarity they ACC presidents issues a couple months back. I think we could really see some movement once the ACC-UMD lawsuit and exit fee issue is settled.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much the same stance as last year. If SEC comes a knocking, we might bolt since costs are low, revenue is high, and still playing in same area of country as before (for our fans). If they don't, we will stay due to those costs he stated.

Bunch of stuff on the Big East/Catholic 7 stuff the past week or so.

The 7 Catholic schools are officially out this summer, they are keeping the Big East name and MSG for the conference basketball tournament. They will add 3 teams for the 2013-14 season to get to 10--probably Xavier, Butler and Creighton. Dayton and St. Louis are rumored as likely to join the following year to make a 12 team league.

I like how that worked out as Big East basketball has always been awesome. It won't be the same with Syracuse and UCONN gone--as well as Pitt and Louiville (though they weren't in the league as long), but still a very strong league overall.

The Big East football schools have to pick a new name--America 12 was rumored but shot down as the ADs didn't like having a number in the name (which is a dumb thing to do with all the realignment waves). They get to keep $100 million of the $110 in exit fees the Big East has/will have in the coffers--which is why they let the C7 schools leave for next season.

Finally, ND is moving to the ACC for basketball and olympic sports for the 2013 season as well now. The football scheduling agreement (5 games a year) will still start in 2014 as planned.

Some more smoke. Duke has put out an article about their future in the changing college landscape.

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=206722563&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Reads like a statement reassuring their fans they'll be fine if the ACC gets raided and even if the top 60-70 football schools break away from the NCAA. Can't imagine they'd put that out if there wasn't a lot of truth to the ongoing rumors of the ACC getting picked apart and lots of schools talking to other leagues.

The newest wrinkle on that front is rumors on a few sites that FSU has sent a plan for getting AAU membership to the Big 10. I can't see that happening--but who knows, maybe the Big 10 ins planning on going to twenty and wants a southern pod.

The other side of the rumor is that all that could fizzle out and the ACC may survive (or just lose a couple teams and replace with Cincy/UCONN) and do some kind of scheduling alliance with the Big 12. I'd be up for that if it meant teams like Pitt and VT were back on WVU's schedule with some regularity.

I hate being stuck on the island in the Big 12 and not playing many teams (other than UMD) in our region, having lost rivals off the schedule etc. So I'm not that excited about the Big 12 potentially adding a bunch of southern ACC teams so none of the rumors have really done much for me fan wise. Maybe if the Big 10 does go to 20 with FSU, UNC, GT, UVA or whatever then maybe the Big 12 could get some teams like L'ville, VT (they'd probably go SEC if that happened though), Pitt etc. I guess. But I think that's an extreme longshot, and adding teams like Miami, Clemson etc. which are rumored more often doesn't do much for me, and doesn't help WVU's travel woes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep. Sucks for WVU as we're stuck on an island 900+ miles away from other conference members indefinitely.

Oh well, only other option was getting left out and being stuck in the shitty AAC now.

I'd be careful with the AAC bashing, your old buddies at Cincinnati, South Florida and UCONN might be the Big 12's only options should they choose to expand.

That round robin schedule produces less teams with double digit wins and that hurts the conference regardless of how strong the teams actually are. I don't know if the Big 12 expansion itch will go away just because they can't pick up ACC teams now.

I wouldn't mind them joining at all. Just wouldn't want to be stuck with them in the AAC with the rest of the lousy teams there. No team from that league will ever make the football playoff, so getting stuck there would have pretty much been a death sentence for WVU football. The travel woes in the Big 12 pail in comparison to that alternative.

But Cincy and UCONN would be decent adds for the Big 12 for WVU--beatable teams that are much closer to WVU and would help improve Big 12 basketball. USF not so much as they're still too far away (which I was never excited about the Clemson/FSU rumors as that wouldn't help WVU's travel woes) and suck at basketball.

Happy to see Tavon Austin and Stedman Bailey end up on the same team. They complement each other very well, and should be great paired with Sam Bradford.

Feel bad for Geno Smith falling into the 2nd round, and even more so with landing with the mess that is the Jets.

Golson leaving Notre Dame could be a blow to the Irish.
They still have Rees but we'll see in a few more months.

Also, fatmanforlife99:
^What's going on in that GIF in your signature?
Is there a woman with a wired keyboard in the background?

[quote name='chuckie88']Golson leaving Notre Dame could be a blow to the Irish.

Also, fatmanforlife99:
Is there a woman with a wired keyboard in the background?[/QUOTE]

hahaha, I am pretty sure it has to do with this. It is a pc track and field game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H90UFbpR8Rk

[quote name='chuckie88']Golson leaving Notre Dame could be a blow to the Irish.

Also, fatmanforlife99:
Is there a woman with a wired keyboard in the background?[/QUOTE]

I saw that breaking news pop up while I was at BWW watching UFC 160 and the Blackhawks stave off elimination for one more night. Just when we were starting to get back to past glory. At least they're a school that sticks to their high academic standards. If it were, oh I don't know let's say Alabama in the SEC, they'd probably cover it up, pump him full of deer antler hormones, and pay him to stay.

Golson's issues the heels of Kiel's exodus to Cincinnati was really bad timing for Notre Dame. I read that Golson is hoping to be eligible again in the Winter 2014 term, though that won't help the Irish much in the present.

As for the NHL, I was watching that game as well but hoping for a different outcome. I'm pulling for the Redwings to close the door on Chicago tonight. Let's go Detroit!

Yeah, I wonder if Keil can "de-transfer" and stay? Everyone started leaving because they knew with Golston being an underclassman and coming into his own they weren't going to get to start. I'm guessing Rees will be the starter next year. I'm not too excited about that. He's a decent QB, more of a game manager as long as he's got top tier talent around him at the other skill positions and a strong running game. Not sure any of that's going to be in play next season.

As far as hockey goes I'm pretty sure Detroit will close things out tonight although things will get really interesting if it were to go to a game seven. When I found out the Hawks were going to face the Redwings I had a feeling they'd lose the series.

I wouldn't want Gunner Kiel anywhere near my team. He's shown himself to be so unreliable. How many schools has he ditched now? Indiana, LSU, Notre Dame, possibly Cincinnati.

^ I agree. I think that the Irish are better off going with Rees than hoping for Kiel.

And the Wings just lost to the Hawks, game seven it is!

Johnny Manziel paid $7,500 for autographs.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/9544137/broker-says-johnny-manziel-took-7500-autographing-helmets

Struggling to get excited for the season since there's just no sense of how WVU will be with a new quarterback and receivers etc.  Lots of depth at RB now at least, and the defense should be better (not saying much since it was literally the worst in school history last year).

I'd guess a 7-5 is record is probably worst case barring a bunch of injuries.  9-3 probably best case.

Did anybody just see that finish between Arizona State and Wisconsin? That's one of the most bizarre endings I've ever seen. Wisconsin definitely had shitty game management at the end, but they should've had the chance to kick the field goal. The refs completely blew it.

Here in Oklahoma, the local news places have been digging and digging to back up the SI story, they can't find anything but old OSU players with stories about how jacked the guys that gave the interviews were, nine of the twelve were booted from team for breaking team rules. NBC and ESPN have found interesting holes in the story. Literally proof one part did not happen" one guy claimed a player got an A for no work one year, transcripts show didn't even attend OSU that year, lol.

I'm sure crap happens, I'm sure it does on every team, but Brandon Weeden gave am interview in the Browns locker room about how a few years ago the story writer was harassing the team about how they would choke and OU was better.

Very happy and surprised WVU pulled the upset of OK State after the turd they layed against Maryland last week. I hope Trickett's shoulder is alright. He didn't light the world on fire but definitely showed more than the other two QBs we've started so far.

With OU and OK state out of the way the toughest part of the Big 12 schedule is behind us. Maybe this rebuilding year won't be as bad a I thought and we can pull out 8 or 9 wins. Next week at Baylor could be rough. But there D hasn't been tested yet and ours is solid after being god awful last year, with our struggles being on offense this time around.

bread's done
Back