Official (2015-2016) College Football Thread OSU#1

Say what you will but Auburn has at least played opponents with a higher win record (59-52 vs 39-60). Auburn also has 3 top 25 wins vs Oregon's 2 and Auburn still has to beat #11 Alabama and #17 S.Car. If Auburn continues to remain undefeated, they clearly have better on field stats than Oregon. There's a good reason why nearly every computer ranking has Auburn #1 over Oregon. I wouldn't be surprised to see Auburn jump back over Oregon in the human polls with a win over Alabama.

Again, no one is questioning Auburn's defense, but Auburn currently is #1 in total offense while having a stronger strength of schedule than Oregon.

Until there's an outcome from an on field match-up between the two teams my vote of confidence still lies with Auburn given their more solid opponents.

[quote name='BlueLobstah']Say what you will but Auburn has at least played opponents with a higher win record (59-52 vs 39-60). Auburn also has 3 top 25 wins vs Oregon's 2 and Auburn still has to beat #11 Alabama and #17 S.Car. If Auburn continues to remain undefeated, they clearly have better on field stats than Oregon. There's a good reason why nearly every computer ranking has Auburn #1 over Oregon. I wouldn't be surprised to see Auburn jump back over Oregon in the human polls with a win over Alabama.

Again, no one is questioning Auburn's defense, but Auburn currently is #1 in total offense while having a stronger strength of schedule than Oregon.

Until there's an outcome from an on field match-up between the two teams my vote of confidence still lies with Auburn given their more solid opponents.[/QUOTE]

If Oregon and Auburn both handily win their remaining games, I highly doubt the human polls are going to flip flop that dramatically. It'll only happen if Oregon plays like they did against California in both their remaining games and Auburn blows out Alabama and South Carolina.

As far as the higher W/L records of their opponents, it's skewed heavily based on the amount of cupcakes the teams Auburn played against had on their schedule. For this analysis, a cupcake is anyone not from the 6 BCS conferences (with apologies to TCU and BSU). Of those 59 wins from the teams that Auburn has played, 38 wins were against "cupcakes", almost 2/3rds of those wins. For Oregon's opponents, only 13 of those 39 wins were against cupcakes, only 1/3 of those wins.

Unfortunately, the computers seem to like the W/L record of your opponents, regardless of the level of competition. More Pac-10 teams could be bowl eligible is they chose to play more games against cupcakes. This would also raise SOS. It's not a surprise the SEC has so many bowl eligible teams each year and a higher SOS, they load up on cupcakes to start the season and to get a breather mid-season, inflating their W/L record. Of course, from their standpoint, it's because they don't want to risk losing any games early on since they're SO SO strong and deep in conference. Pac-10 can say the same exact thing and more with a 9 game conference slate. The SEC title game doesn't quite matchup with the round robin style of the Pac-10 since only 2 teams from the SEC will participate in that.

It's really a joke to see Alabama play Georgia State between Miss St. and Auburn, or Auburn against Louisiana-Monroe after South Carolina or Chattawhatta before Georgia. If the SEC were to play 9 league games instead of 8 (this applies to other conferences that only play 8 games), they wouldn't have that many teams ranked since the league would beat up on itself like the Pac-10 does. I admit the Pac-10 teams in general are in a down year based on OOC losses to BCS schools, but you still have to show up each week (Wash St. beat Oregon State, it gets worse for BSU and TCU). I doubt Georgia State or Chattanooga would ever beat a BCS team like Alabama or Auburn.

Though it'll change next season, Pac 10 teams this season could have an additional 10 wins this year if they go with cupcakes like the SEC does. At the least, all teams need to schedule teams that are at least somewhat respectable (Hawaii, Fresno State, East Carolina, Houston) rather than those crappy no-name schools.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='MasterSun1']
As far as the higher W/L records of their opponents, it's skewed heavily based on the amount of cupcakes the teams Auburn played against had on their schedule. For this analysis, a cupcake is anyone not from the 6 BCS conferences (with apologies to TCU and BSU). Of those 59 wins from the teams that Auburn has played, 38 wins were against "cupcakes", almost 2/3rds of those wins. For Oregon's opponents, only 13 of those 39 wins were against cupcakes, only 1/3 of those wins.

Unfortunately, the computers seem to like the W/L record of your opponents, regardless of the level of competition. More Pac-10 teams could be bowl eligible is they chose to play more games against cupcakes. This would also raise SOS. It's not a surprise the SEC has so many bowl eligible teams each year and a higher SOS, they load up on cupcakes to start the season and to get a breather mid-season, inflating their W/L record. Of course, from their standpoint, it's because they don't want to risk losing any games early on since they're SO SO strong and deep in conference. Pac-10 can say the same exact thing and more with a 9 game conference slate. The SEC title game doesn't quite matchup with the round robin style of the Pac-10 since only 2 teams from the SEC will participate in that.

It's really a joke to see Alabama play Georgia State between Miss St. and Auburn, or Auburn against Louisiana-Monroe after South Carolina or Chattawhatta before Georgia. If the SEC were to play 9 league games instead of 8 (this applies to other conferences that only play 8 games), they wouldn't have that many teams ranked since the league would beat up on itself like the Pac-10 does. I admit the Pac-10 teams in general are in a down year based on OOC losses to BCS schools, but you still have to show up each week (Wash St. beat Oregon State, it gets worse for BSU and TCU). I doubt Georgia State or Chattanooga would ever beat a BCS team like Alabama or Auburn.

Though it'll change next season, Pac 10 teams this season could have an additional 10 wins this year if they go with cupcakes like the SEC does. At the least, all teams need to schedule teams that are at least somewhat respectable (Hawaii, Fresno State, East Carolina, Houston) rather than those crappy no-name schools.[/QUOTE]

Time for the reality check. SEC each year produces 5+ ranked teams (6 currently in top 25), Pac-10 3 if they are lucky, most of the time 2 (Zona should drop out once they lose to you guys next game). So at this point, that means that the SEC teams play 3-4 ranked teams each year (their champ plays 4-5 ranked teams) to the 3 Pac 10 play. Give a point to the SEC

Next let's check the bottom feeder of the conference over past 3 years. Washington St (5-29... ouch) vs Vanderbuilt (10-24). Let's mix in some of the other Pac 10 teams... Washington (9-25), Arizona St (13-21), UCLA (15-19)... SEC on the other hand... Mississippi (20-14), Tennessee (16-18), Kentucky (19-15)... Give a point to the SEC

Out of conference...
Pac 10:
Wins against Good Teams (.500) - Iowa, ND, Syracuse = 3
Losses - TCU, Boise St, Nevada, BYU, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Kansas St, and Oklahoma St = 8
SEC:
Wins against Good Teams (.500) - USF, UNC, West Virginia, Penn St, Clemson, Texas A&M = 6
Losses - Colorado, Oregon, Northwestern, UConn, Jax St = 4
Even if the SEC played a bunch more cupcakes, they still won against more good teams than the Pac 10 did. Both are equal.

So in all, SEC 2 - 0, Pac10 - 0

Can we just agree that the Pac 10 isn't as good as you think...

[quote name='lordopus99']Can we just agree that the Pac 10 isn't as good as you think...[/QUOTE]

Not until SEC homers stop living in a dream world.

BTW, that was a mighty fine display of defense by LSU today.

[quote name='MasterSun1']Not until SEC homers stop living in a dream world.

BTW, that was a mighty fine display of defense by LSU today.[/QUOTE]

With LSU, they up to this point are listed as the #5 defense in the country. We will see if it changes based on this game. It could be. But again, the SEC provides way better competition than the Pac 10 (see Stanford slaughter of FCS Cal :applause:). Pac 10 is a joke conference filled with 2 good teams, the rest are cupcakes, and a few of those should be in FCS.

On another note, here is my prayer that Maryland knocks off NC State next week.

Oh god hardcore SEC fans are the WORST. When a top-level SEC team wins a squeaker against a bottom-level team, they're all "See? This is the deepest conference in the country! Everyone is good!" And then when a top-level team in another conference does the same it's all "Wow what a crap team, they can't even blow out a bottom feeder".

And they will defend the BCS to the death and shiat on the Boise States and TCUs of the world. Even though if the SEC is as great as they say, they would love a playoff since that would mean all those SEC powers would have a shot at a title every year.

[quote name='ElwoodCuse']Oh god hardcore SEC fans are the WORST. When a top-level SEC team wins a squeaker against a bottom-level team, they're all "See? This is the deepest conference in the country! Everyone is good!" And then when a top-level team in another conference does the same it's all "Wow what a crap team, they can't even blow out a bottom feeder".

And they will defend the BCS to the death and shiat on the Boise States and TCUs of the world. Even though if the SEC is as great as they say, they would love a playoff since that would mean all those SEC powers would have a shot at a title every year.[/QUOTE]

I guess you haven't really been reading most of my posts. My team is Florida State i.e. not an SEC school. I have stated in this thread about how I thought Boise St should have been in last years championship. I also have stated I would like a playoff. I am sick of seeing teams getting blown out in Bowl games.

As for the deepest league comment, it is FACT. What conference has the most ranked teams every year... The SEC. Obviously, that would make them the deepest. Look at last years' bowl games; They sent in 10 teams, in which 6 won (2 more than any other conference).... the last two teams in were Auburn #9 SEC, who shellacked Texas A&M, and Kentucky #10 SEC, who hung with Clemson (#3 ACC); lost by a TD.

Yep, the SEC just loads up on cupcakes just to get bowl eligible (even the bottom feeding teams). Helps support their opinion of being the deepest conference in the league.

ElwoodCuse hit it right on the head. A Pac-10 team with a better record than an SEC team (California) gets stomped by a top team (Stanford) and it's because that team sucked. Yet a SEC team with 1 conference win (Ole Miss) almost beats a top SEC team (LSU) and it shows the strength of the team's defense.

SEC homerism at its best.

[quote name='MasterSun1']Yep, the SEC just loads up on cupcakes just to get bowl eligible (even the bottom feeding teams). Helps support their opinion of being the deepest conference in the league.

ElwoodCuse hit it right on the head. A Pac-10 team with a better record than an SEC team (California) gets stomped by a top team (Stanford) and it's because that team sucked. Yet a SEC team with 1 conference win (Ole Miss) almost beats a top SEC team (LSU) and it shows the strength of the team's defense.

SEC homerism at its best.[/QUOTE]

Oregon loaded up on cupcakes too :applause:

I never stated that Mississippi was a good team. I just stated that the SEC is the deepest league. If you read the "reality check", you would note that I consider them a bottom feeder these past 3 years. In addition, if you look at their last 3 years, they have a winning record unlike any of the Pac 10 teams I listed. If you still want to call me an "SEC Homer", let look at our past FBS national champions...
2009 - Alabama
2008 - Florida
2007 - LSU
2006 - Florida

LSU is still number 5 in the BCS; number 6 AP. Even after last week, still number 5 in total defense, only allowing teams to average 286.91 yards/game. End of discussion.

[quote name='lordopus99']Oregon loaded up on cupcakes too :applause:[/QUOTE]

I was talking about the SEC as a conference as a whole historically and it's no comparison. Oregon had some cupcakes this year (not their fault for the scheduling), but at least they blew them out.

I never stated that Mississippi was a good team. I just stated that the SEC is the deepest league. If you read the "reality check", you would note that I consider them a bottom feeder these past 3 years. In addition, if you look at their last 3 years, they have a winning record unlike any of the Pac 10 teams I listed. If you still want to call me an "SEC Homer", let look at our past FBS national champions...
2009 - Alabama
2008 - Florida
2007 - LSU
2006 - Florida

Okay, so they're a terrible team then. Still, that AWESOME defense gave up 36 points. End of discussion.

[quote name='MasterSun1']Okay, so they're a terrible team then. Still, that AWESOME defense gave up 36 points. End of discussion.[/QUOTE]

So you are saying you think a team that is 5th in allowed total yards is a BAD defense when they have played 5 teams that were ranked at the time?

I was talking about the SEC as a conference as a whole historically and it's no comparison.
Yep, the SEC just loads up on cupcakes just to get bowl eligible (even the bottom feeding teams). Helps support their opinion of being the deepest conference in the league.

They also historically win their bowl games with a conference average of 53.5%, which is the best winning average, and they also play the most bowl games by at least 35+ games on the next closest conference (Big 12).

[quote name='lordopus99']So you are saying you think a team that is 5th in allowed total yards is a BAD defense when they have played 5 teams that were ranked at the time?[/QUOTE]

I never said they were a bad defense, but every talks about how the SEC plays defense when it's not the case. Numbers are skewed by the types of teams they play (AKA teams that run the ball more which lessens game time which lessens total yards). Total defense isn't a true measure since it's not equal for all teams. A better measure is opponent's yards per play. LSU ranks 13th. Not exactly Top 5 like you've been claiming.

They also historically win their bowl games with a conference average of 53.5%, which is the best winning average, and they also play the most bowl games by at least 35+ games on the next closest conference (Big 12).

They have 12 teams in conference which is more opportunities to get into bowl games. On top of that, like I mentioned, many of those necessary wins to get bowl eligible come from beating down cupcakes who come for a pay day.

[quote name='MasterSun1']They have 12 teams in conference which is more opportunities to get into bowl games. On top of that, like I mentioned, many of those necessary wins to get bowl eligible come from beating down cupcakes who come for a pay day.[/QUOTE]

While all true, they still beat good/great out of conference opponents in bowls; hence the fact that they as a conference have the highest win percentage of all conferences in bowls.

By the way, Cowboy Classic next year will be a blast.

I like watching big games at the beginning of the season like the VT/Boise St and UNC/LSU this year so I look forward to watching the Oregon/LSU game next year. I wish more teams would do them like they do in College Basketball. But all these schools a) don't want to play away without a huge payout and b) are afraid to hurt their season. They can't all be like my alum, FSU, playing a great out of conference schedule (Oklahoma, BYU, and Florida) ;).

[quote name='lordopus99'] If you still want to call me an "SEC Homer", let look at our past FBS national champions...
2009 - Alabama
2008 - Florida
2007 - LSU
2006 - Florida[/QUOTE]

Well yeah, when the system is biased in favor of traditional powers with big money programs, that's what happens.

[quote name='ElwoodCuse']Well yeah, when the system is biased in favor of traditional powers with big money programs, that's what happens.[/QUOTE]

So you are stating that Texas, Oklahoma, and Ohio State are all bad teams and didn't deserve their shot for a championship those seasons? :roll:

[quote name='lordopus99']I like watching big games at the beginning of the season like the VT/Boise St and UNC/LSU this year so I look forward to watching the Oregon/LSU game next year. I wish more teams would do them like they do in College Basketball. But all these schools a) don't want to play away without a huge payout and b) are afraid to hurt their season. They can't all be like my alum, FSU, playing a great out of conference schedule (Oklahoma, BYU, and Florida) ;).[/QUOTE]

It's unfortunate for us. In CBB, there's no penalty for losing a game since you have a playoff. In CFB FBS, where "the regular season is a playoff" (but it's not), a loss is pretty death for a national championship (in most cases). This is all old news, but there's no incentive for the Ohio States, LSUs, and Texas of the college football world to schedule other contenders or non-contenders (TCU/BSU) when they unfairly start at the top of the polls every season (just look at Texas and Florida this season). Ohio State is most guilty of this in recent memory in my opinion and they totally didn't deserve to play in the BCS title game against Florida in 2006. Their best win was against Texas who ended up losing 2 more games. That victory against Michigan was hollow given how USC dismantled that team in the Rose Bowl. It should've been USC vs. Florida (USC was #1/#2 in the human polls).

If they just did away with preseason polls and didn't have polls until 4 weeks later, everything would be fine. But sadly they need every dollar they can get (COME WATCH #1 Alabama (undeserving) vs. #213 Delaware Community College!!!)

Props to Oregon and LSU for scheduling that game. It'll at least quiet down the SEC/Pac-10 debate a slight bit (microscopic bit that is). Shouldn't be any griping about Oregon's schedule next season (LSU and Nevada on the slate, 1 more unknown for non-conference).

[quote name='Amblix']Yup, and Auburn was the heavy favorite.

Still 3 Qs to go.[/QUOTE]

Bama is favored, actually...but not by this much.

[quote name='starmask2k3']OREGAN # 1 and TCU # 2[/QUOTE]

As much as I would love to see that, I just see the voters finding a way to screw TCU. I mean TCU has a bigger BCS point differential then I thought they did over BSU. So who knows, it's not over yet, but Auburn can still win, but they have to score on this drive.

[quote name='fatmanforlife99']As much as I would love to see that, I just see the voters finding a way to screw TCU. I mean TCU has a bigger BCS point differential then I thought they did over BSU. So who knows, it's not over yet, but Auburn can still win, but they have to score on this drive.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, Boise will probably jump TCU if they beat Nevada. Rolling over New Mexico won't do anything to help TCU. And even if Auburn and Oregon lose, the BCS will still probably put LSU or Auburn in the NC game.

[quote name='BlueLobstah']I know Auburn hasn't really shown up to play, but this has been some horrible officiating.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. That excessive celebration call was particularly terrible. If it were anyone but Fairley they wouldn't have called it.

14 Auburn ALABAMA 24

i like Auburn over ALABAMA but i want ALABAMA to win over Auburn because there #2 and i want TCU to be #2

[quote name='Magus8472']Unfortunately, Boise will probably jump TCU if they beat Nevada. Rolling over New Mexico won't do anything to help TCU. And even if Auburn and Oregon lose, the BCS will still probably put LSU or Auburn in the NC game.

Yeah. That excessive celebration call was particularly terrible. If it were anyone but Fairley they wouldn't have called it.[/QUOTE]

While I agree with that, the computers hate BSU, but in the human polls, they are ranked higher. Its not over in the Bama game, they are now trrailing by 10, but either way I don't see an AQ team making it.

Auburn skates by again.

Man, Alabama deserved to lose that game with how awful they were in the red zone. That fumble by Ingram for a touchback, the drop by Richardson that was a TD (they kicked a FG), and other miscues.

Cleanest game I've seen Auburn play all season. However, still pissed about that unsportsmanlike conduct call.

Say what you will about Auburn's defense but their second half has been absolutely outstanding nearly every game this season. I don't know what kind of adjustments are being made in the locker room but something is done right. Too bad it just can't be done right in the first half as well.

Wow... saw the clip package. How do you miss what pretty much equals an extra point in the center of the field, not once but twice. I think going forward Boise St will learn to give a scholorship for a good kicker :lol:

[quote name='lordopus99']Wow... saw the clip package. How do you miss what pretty much equals an extra point in the center of the field, not once but twice. I think going forward Boise St will learn to give a scholorship for a good kicker :lol:[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I think both kickers were walk-ons.

Good luck to Auburn, I hope they win the championship. I also hope McElroy recovers safely. That was a scary scene at the game. After he was hit he didn't move at all.

[quote name='scuba t']Good luck to Auburn, I hope they win the championship. I also hope McElroy recovers safely. That was a scary scene at the game. After he was hit he didn't move at all.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I really hate to see kids get hurt even if it's with an in state rival. Seems as if it was only a concussion and hopefully his shoulder should be okay.

Now I know Auburn won't really win any style points this week, but I still think they might gain a few voters to boost them up to #1 in the BCS poll.

bread's done
Back