Official (2015-2016) College Football Thread OSU#1

The talk is that any Big East additions would be for football only, so no concerns with week basketball programs.

Maybe be bring one basketball school tombalance it out as there would be 15 basketball schools left if tcu still joimpns for all sports next year. But they may not care about the odd number since it would have been 17 anyway.

But who knows, conference is still up in the air with uconn and Rutgers lobbying to join the ACC, WVU still hoping for the SEC, and WVU and Louisville both rumored as Big 12 Targets.

Crazy finish! Kansas State beats "The U" on a 4 play, goal line stand. I thought for sure Harris was in on that final play but they reviewed it and his knee hit the ground just before he was able to stretch across the goal line.

Frustrating performance from WVU. Put up 533 yards (school record 463 passing) compared to LSU's 366 yards and lose 47-21.

Killed ourselves with stupid mistakes. 4 turnovers (one INT returned to the 1 yard line to set up a TD) and gave up a 99 yard kick of return due to sloppy tackling right after we'd scored to make it 27-21 and had the momentum. :bomb:

Lot of credit to LSU though, that's a great team. Only weakness was their pass defense. Tons of team speed, great offensive and defensive game and strong run game.

LSU's punter had one of the best nights punting I've ever seen as well, as shown by this:

3, 4, 5, 11, 8, 9. The yard lines in Mountaineer territory where punter Brad Wing dropped diabolically placed balls on his six punts. (Out of action due to injury since Week 1, Wing appears to have made a full recovery.)

I'm feeling good about WVU's chances to win the Big East and get back in the BCS at least. Only the game @ USF to end the season looks like a real challenge. Though WVU always seems to find a way to lose to a crappy team or two most seasons....

[quote name='Donkey132']man FSU looks like they are falling apart.[/QUOTE]
Death Valley is a tough place for teams to play.

As for our team, the offense plays and the defense doesn't (i.e. Clemson). The defense does, the offense doesn't (Oklahoma). We killed ourselves with dumb penalites. Clemson 3rd and long, pass interference. Clemson 4th and punt, fake roughing kicker. Second time, we kill the punter. You aren't going to win ball games giving up 124 penalty yards.

The positives from this week is Clint Trickett played really well and should solidify the starting position outright i.e. huge upgrade to Manual.

WVU finally found a rushing game--best to date was a than a tad over 100 yards on the ground against Norfolk State.

Freshman RB Garrison who had a good second half against LSU has 233 yards at the half against Bowling Green! 419 total yards for WVU, leading 38-10 at the half.

EDIT:

WVU wins easily 55-10. Set a record for most yards of total offense at home. Had more rushing yards today than in the first four games combined.

Feeling good about their chances of running the table in the Big East with how they're shaping up and how much the rest of the league is sucking--see Louisville losing to Marshall and UCONN losing to Western Michigan today. Thought USF would be tough, but Pitt beat the shit out of them on Thursday. Cincy is probably the 2nd best team in the league.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='blindinglights']Ugh, Virginia Tech offense is terrible. They should seriously consider direct snapping it to David Wilson on every single play.[/QUOTE]

Just like every year, when VT actually has to play someone good, they fall apart. I expect them to lose next week as a hangover as well.

[quote name='Halo05']Just like every year, when VT actually has to play someone good, they fall apart. I expect them to lose next week as a hangover as well.[/QUOTE]

True. The same could be said about every team in the ACC though. Sadly the only big time games won by ACC teams are against... other ACC teams.

Hopefully Clemson will win out and then win a BCS bowl to show that the conference can produce a team good enough to win big OOC games, but I'm sure they'll have an "it's Clemson" moment before the year's over.

[quote name='blindinglights']True. The same could be said about every team in the ACC though. Sadly the only big time games won by ACC teams are against... other ACC teams.

Hopefully Clemson will win out and then win a BCS bowl to show that the conference can produce a team good enough to win big OOC games, but I'm sure they'll have an "it's Clemson" moment before the year's over.[/QUOTE]

They already beat Auburn, FSU, and VT. They only have two hard games left: @GT, @SC.
I think they can easily beat SC if they can stop Lattimore and if their defense shows up they should be able to beat GT too. Then they would have to play either GT or VT in the ACC championship game.

[quote name='blindinglights']True. The same could be said about every team in the ACC though. Sadly the only big time games won by ACC teams are against... other ACC teams.[/quote]
I wouldn't go that far. FSU beat SEC runner up South Carolina last year. NC State took out Big East co-champ West Virginia last year. Clemson beat last years national champion Auburn a couple games back.

Virginia Tech is a league of their own. They can beat ACC teams but they can't beat anyone else; JMU was a testament to that.

Hopefully Clemson will win out and then win a BCS bowl to show that the conference can produce a team good enough to win big OOC games, but I'm sure they'll have an "it's Clemson" moment before the year's over.
Personally I don't as I want my team in. Clemson still has some tough games left in ACC play like @GT. They have some trip games as well i.e. @Maryland and UNC.

[quote name='lordopus99']I wouldn't go that far. FSU beat SEC runner up South Carolina last year. NC State took out Big East co-champ West Virginia last year. Clemson beat last years national champion Auburn a couple games back.

Virginia Tech is a league of their own. They can beat ACC teams but they can't beat anyone else; JMU was a testament to that.[/QUOTE]

I am fully aware that Virginia Tech takes choking away big games to a new level, but I stand by my previous statement about the ACC in general and big time games.

Look at the examples you used:

1. SEC runnner up South Carolina. This team lost to Kentucky and played in the weaker SEC East division. Although they did have a good win over Alabama, realistically, they were the fourth best team in the SEC behind Auburn, Arkansas, and LSU.

2. Big East runner up West Virginia. I say runner up because co-champion is bullshit when there's a three way tie at the top and one of the three (UCONN) beat BOTH the other two teams.

3. Auburn team that lost its best players and needed a miracle to beat Utah State. This is probably the best example you've given so far after their win over USC today, but USC also struggled with Navy so maybe they weren't legit to begin with. We'll see how much of a quality win this was for Clemson when Auburn gets done playing Bama, LSU, and Arkansas.

Are wins against a 9-5 SEC team and 9-4 Big East teams really big time wins? We'll see how Auburn shakes out this year.

It goes back even further, 2009 ACC Champ Georgia Tech got creamed by Iowa. 2007 ACC Champ Wake Forrest lost to Louisville.

And while Virginia Tech is top of the class at choking (Kansas, JMU, East Carolina, Stanford, Southern Cal, Boise State, and many more that I don't care to think about), what does that say about the ACC when Virginia Tech has claimed 4 titles since joining the league in 2004 (2004, 2007, 2008, 2010)? I was happy VT claimed the conference title last year, but even I think it's shitty that a team that loses to JMU sweeps the ACC. That just makes the league look bad.

Your team is FSU right? I totally understand wanting them to win out and go to the ACC title game, but your best case scenario would be an 12-2 Florida State team with a win over a Big East champion in a BCS bowl. Great season for FSU, but it would prove little to nothing for the ACC.

Yeah, I wouldn't beat your chest over beating WVU the past 3 seasons. Absolutely attrocious coaching under Stewart and Mullen (the OC).

Look at this year, lost top 2 offensive players (Devine and Sanders) and putting up a TON more yards and points. Defense is still solid despite losing 8 starters as the defense staff is the same and was the one strong point of the team last year.

Anyway, neither Big East or ACC fans have any room for any kind of shit talking. Both leagues have sucked big fat donkey dicks for the past several years. WVU and Louisville had great teams in 2005, 2006 and 2007 but fell off with coaching changes. And no one in the ACC has been good other than VT recently and they always choke a few games a year. FSU looks to be on the rise again but are a year or two away from being on top agin. Same in the Big East (if it survives expansion) with WVU under Holgorsen.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Anyway, neither Big East or ACC fans have any room for any kind of shit talking. Both leagues have sucked big fat donkey dicks for the past several years.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much sums it up.

It'd be nice if both leagues could pick up some.

I get sick of seeing SEC/Big 12/Pac 12 being able to send 2 teams to BCS bowls while the ACC and Big East make people question if they even deserve their automatic bids.

The ACC clearly doesn't care about getting better at football or they wouldn't have grabbed Pitt and Syracuse from the Big East (and BC last time) while leaving WVU stuck there (winningest program in college football without a national championship). They grabbed two great basketball programs, who've been down in football for a long time (especially Syracuse). If they wanted to beef up football they'd have just taken WVU and Pitt (for the rivalry factor), or gone to 16 with WVU, Pitt, Louisville and USF.

Anyway, be interesting to see what happens to the Big East--the presidents are meeting today about the leagues future.

Still rumors of WVU being the SEC #14, and lots of rumors about a bunch of Big East teams possibly going to the Big 12 if they expand back to 12 or up to 14.

The best thing--which I don't think will happen--would be for the Big 12 to merge with the 7 remaining Big East schools (counting TCU) to become the first 16 team league. If Mizzou jumps to the SEC they can replace them with BYU or Houston/SMU/Air Force etc.

[quote name='blindinglights']
Look at the examples you used:

1. SEC runnner up South Carolina. This team lost to Kentucky and played in the weaker SEC East division. Although they did have a good win over Alabama, realistically, they were the fourth best team in the SEC behind Auburn, Arkansas, and LSU.[/quote]
Fourth best in SEC is still better than most anything that comes from another conference. As you noted, they beat (at that time) #1 Alabama convincely. South Carolina's Marcus Lattimore had 1000+ yards coming into the game, knocked out by a superior defense early in our game. AP Poll (Dec 5): #19

2. Big East runner up West Virginia. I say runner up because co-champion is bullshit when there's a three way tie at the top and one of the three (UCONN) beat BOTH the other two teams.
I agree about co-champion tags. But I disagree with both yours and dmauls analysis. West Virginia even in a down state was still a good football team. All three of their losses last season were less than a touchdown. They had a quality win over Maryland, who ended the season #23. AP Poll (Dec 5): #22

3. Auburn team that lost its best players and needed a miracle to beat Utah State. This is probably the best example you've given so far after their win over USC today, but USC also struggled with Navy so maybe they weren't legit to begin with. We'll see how much of a quality win this was for Clemson when Auburn gets done playing Bama, LSU, and Arkansas.
Auburn might have lost Newton and Fairley but they still kept number 2 offensive weapon Michael Dyer (a 1000 yard rusher). They might get beat by the teams you listed but either way Auburn has shown to be at worst a good team this year with wins over Miss St (#15 to start Week 1) and South Carolina (#10 last week).

In all, you can't diminish any of these wins as they were all against Top 25 teams.

And while Virginia Tech is top of the class at choking (Kansas, JMU, East Carolina, Stanford, Southern Cal, Boise State, and many more that I don't care to think about), what does that say about the ACC when Virginia Tech has claimed 4 titles since joining the league in 2004 (2004, 2007, 2008, 2010)? I was happy VT claimed the conference title last year, but even I think it's shitty that a team that loses to JMU sweeps the ACC. That just makes the league look bad.
I agree. It doesn't make the conference look well. But note, the middle of the pack teams all won their bowl matchups. Some like Maryland crushed their opponent.

It goes back even further, 2009 ACC Champ Georgia Tech got creamed by Iowa. 2007 ACC Champ Wake Forrest lost to Louisville.
All I am saying is don't lump people together. FSU, even in down state, took out the following top 25 teams in the past couple years; South Carolina, Florida, Wisconsin, Alabama, West Viriginia (2), BYU (2). Yes, we lost to #1 Oklahoma twice but that still doesn't take away the fact we beat all these other Top 25 teams; alot of them which we were not favored in.

Your team is FSU right? I totally understand wanting them to win out and go to the ACC title game, but your best case scenario would be an 12-2 Florida State team with a win over a Big East champion in a BCS bowl. Great season for FSU, but it would prove little to nothing for the ACC.
Time will only tell who is matchup'd against who..

WVU lost close games last year, but two of them were two very mediocre Syracuse and UCONN teams.

The teams offense was just anemic the past 3 years under Stewart/Mullen despite having a ton of talent. Was just a terrible coaching hire after Rodriguez left. Hire a decent coach and we probably won the Big East at least 2 of those 3 years if not all 3 (the losses to Cincy were close).

Anyway, that's fixed now and I'd like our chances against any ACC team this year! If we lose again this year it will be in a shootout like the LSU game (where we put up over 500 yards but killed ourselves with turnovers) as our defense is a bit shaky still after losing 8 starters from last year.

[quote name='lordopus99']In all, you can't diminish any of these wins as they were all against Top 25 teams.

All I am saying is don't lump people together. FSU, even in down state, took out the following top 25 teams in the past couple years; South Carolina, Florida, Wisconsin, Alabama, West Viriginia (2), BYU (2). Yes, we lost to #1 Oklahoma twice but that still doesn't take away the fact we beat all these other Top 25 teams; alot of them which we were not favored in.[/QUOTE]

You seem to place a lot of value on wins versus Top 25 teams, so check this out. It's records versus year ranked Top 25 (because ultimately, that ranking means the most as all the games have been played) teams from 2006 to 2010.

The ACC, as a whole, has not done well in big games against non-ACC teams. Virginia Tech is the glaring example because they've had the most chances to blow it between heavy OOC scheduling the prior to this year (LSU, Bama, etc.) and because they've ended up with the ACC's BCS bowl bid four times. Just because they've blown big games more than the other teams doesn't mean the other teams don't deserve the same label:

(all from that link above)

Virginia Tech 9-10 vs year ranked top 25
OOC losses: Georgia, LSU, Kansas, Alabama, Boise State, Stanford
OOC wins: Cincinnati, Nebraska

Boston College 7-12 vs year ranked top 25
OOC losses: Southern Cal, Nevada
OOC wins: BYU, Central Michigan

Georgia Tech 7-12 vs year ranked top 25
OOC losses: Notre Dame, Georgia (x2), West Virginia, Iowa
OOC wins: none

Florida State 6-15 vs year ranked top 25
OOC losses: Florida (x3), Oklahoma (x2, pending OU being ranked at the end of this year)
OOC wins: BYU, West Virginia, South Carolina

Maryland 4-10 vs year ranked top 25
OOC losses: West Virginia (x2), Oregon State
OOC wins: California

North Carolina 4-12 vs year ranked top 25
OOC losses: Rutgers, Notre Dame, West Virginia, Pittsburg, LSU
OOC wins: none

Clemson 4-14 vs year ranked top 25
OOC losses: Auburn (x2), Alabama, TCU, South Carolina
OOC wins: none (Auburn from this year pending)

Miami 4-15 vs year ranked top 25
OOC losses: Louisville, Oklahoma, Florida, California, Wisconsin, Ohio State
OOC wins: none (Ohio State from this year pending)

[quote name='blindinglights']You seem to place a lot of value on wins versus Top 25 teams, so check this out. It's records versus year ranked Top 25 (because ultimately, that ranking means the most as all the games have been played) teams from 2006 to 2010.

The ACC, as a whole, has not done well in big games against non-ACC teams. Virginia Tech is the glaring example because they've had the most chances to blow it between heavy OOC scheduling the prior to this year (LSU, Bama, etc.) and because they've ended up with the ACC's BCS bowl bid four times. Just because they've blown big games more than the other teams doesn't mean the other teams don't deserve the same label:

Florida State 6-15 vs year ranked top 25
OOC losses: Florida (x3), Oklahoma (x2, pending OU being ranked at the end of this year)
OOC wins: BYU, West Virginia, South Carolina[/QUOTE]
1) Your website factors conference win/losses too (related to Top 25). Determining how a team matches with other conferences, i.e. unfamiliarity, is not shown.
2) As it relates to my team FSU... look at who you listed as our losses. Lets break them down shall we...
- Florida won 2 championships (i.e. #1) during those losses. Heck, some say Tebow is the greatest collegiate football player to play the game; his quote is plastered on one of the most famous stadiums in the country.
- Oklahoma finished AP #6 in 2010; this year they are currently AP #3.
How can you determine that we aren't good against other non-confernce teams based on these two team losses, which berth 2 national championships and top 6 teams?!?! The rest of our wins are legit. One of our losses (Penn St) went 3 OTs; note Penn St finished #3 in AP. Again, you can't throw us in with the VT tragedy of non-conference play.

As for the rest of the schools (besides Miami and VT), they have always been up and down since I started watching football (early 90s). Miami has been down and rebuilding since Coker left. We have done the same since Richt left. So that leaves Beamer/Foster crew to take the ACC since they still have success in-conference. Too bad they can't play out of conference worth half-an-ass to stop with these lame discussions. They deserve the label since historically they have been a good team unlike the ups/downs of the teams I didn't name; plus they lost to a 6-5 D2 school. A playoff system is so needed.

Really no news--as expected--out of the Big East meeting today.

Just a generic statement that the presidents voted to pursue some select institutions to join the league (service academies all that were mentioned) and that the presidents will "consider" raising the buyout etc.

So no real info, they need to add schools regardless if more teams leave or not. And that the presidents will "consider" raising the buyout means they didn't have the votes to raise it as some schools are still hoping to leave.

Wish this shit would hurry up and get over with. Doubt there will be any news until after Tuesday as Missouri's board meets then. Once they either re-committ to the Big 12 or leave for the SEC the rest of the dominoes will fall. How many depends on whether the Big 12 decides to go to 10, 12 or beyond.

[quote name='lordopus99']1) Your website factors conference win/losses too (related to Top 25). Determining how a team matches with other conferences, i.e. unfamiliarity, is not shown.
2) As it relates to my team FSU... look at who you listed as our losses. Lets break them down shall we...
- Florida won 2 championships (i.e. #1) during those losses. Heck, some say Tebow is the greatest collegiate football player to play the game; his quote is plastered on one of the most famous stadiums in the country.
- Oklahoma finished AP #6 in 2010; this year they are currently AP #3.
How can you determine that we aren't good against other non-confernce teams based on these two team losses, which berth 2 national championships and top 6 teams?!?! The rest of our wins are legit. One of our losses (Penn St) went 3 OTs; note Penn St finished #3 in AP. Again, you can't throw us in with the VT tragedy of non-conference play.[/QUOTE]

For fucks sake man, stop being a delusional homer. Are you seriously saying those losses aren't that bad because of how the teams FSU lost to ended up?

I can break down VT's losses pretty much the same way you did:

LSU - Finished 12-2 and National Champion
Kansas - Finished 12-1
Alabama - Finished 14-0 and National Champion
Boise St. - Finished 12-1
Stanford - Finished 12-1

With the bad one being the Georgia team who finished 9-4.

Hey, do you want to look at the wins and explain to me why FSU's year-ranked wins put them in a different class than Tech?

Breakdown of FSU's three year-ranked wins:

#12 Brigham Young (11-2)
#23 West Virginia (9-4)
#22 South Carolina (9-5)

Breakdown of VT's two year-ranked wins:

#17 Cincinnati (11-3)
#14 Nebraska (10-4)

One top 15 victory and two bottom of the top 25 victories are just worlds apart from Tech's top 15 victory and a top 20 victory right?

Florida State used to be good, yes we know. But the key part of that statement is used to be. They can't ride that past success forever.

In the last few posts you've beaten your chest over wins against last year's 4th best SEC team, a Wisconsin team that ended up unranked with a 7-6 record, a WVU team that ended up 9-4, and a win over Florida during a year that they finished unranked with an 8-5 record.

Face it, the ACC as a whole (everyone, including FSU) has performed poorly against big time out of conference competition in recent years. Wins against 8-5 or 9-4 teams are great and all, but you know that those aren't really big time marquee wins.

[quote name='blindinglights']For fucks sake man, stop being a delusional homer. Are you seriously saying those losses aren't that bad because of how the teams FSU lost to ended up?

I can break down VT's losses pretty much the same way you did:

LSU - Finished 12-2 and National Champion
Kansas - Finished 12-1
Alabama - Finished 14-0 and National Champion
Boise St. - Finished 12-1
Stanford - Finished 12-1

With the bad one being the Georgia team who finished 9-4.

Hey, do you want to look at the wins and explain to me why FSU's year-ranked wins put them in a different class than Tech?

Breakdown of FSU's three year-ranked wins:

#12 Brigham Young (11-2)
#23 West Virginia (9-4)
#22 South Carolina (9-5)

Breakdown of VT's two year-ranked wins:

#17 Cincinnati (11-3)
#14 Nebraska (10-4)

[/QUOTE]
It's quite simple. Losses to JMU (6-5) FCS school and East Carolina (9-5) CUSA. These were supposed to be easy out-of-conference scheduling but back fired. As for their losses to Top 25 teams, Kansas wasn't as good as their ranking/record showed; they didn't play Oklahoma or Texas and they played no ones in out-of-conference. They were a joke who beat VT. I actually witness that live. Super embarrassing. Notice what Kansas has done any other year; the most news you hear is that they made GT's t-shirt.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Really no news--as expected--out of the Big East meeting today.

Just a generic statement that the presidents voted to pursue some select institutions to join the league (service academies all that were mentioned) and that the presidents will "consider" raising the buyout etc.

So no real info, they need to add schools regardless if more teams leave or not. And that the presidents will "consider" raising the buyout means they didn't have the votes to raise it as some schools are still hoping to leave.

Wish this shit would hurry up and get over with. Doubt there will be any news until after Tuesday as Missouri's board meets then. Once they either re-committ to the Big 12 or leave for the SEC the rest of the dominoes will fall. How many depends on whether the Big 12 decides to go to 10, 12 or beyond. [/quote]
If they do the buyout, they need to do it sooner than later if they want to keep UConn. UConn already has expressed interest for the ACC.

[quote name='lordopus99']It's quite simple. Losses to JMU (6-5) FCS school and East Carolina (9-5) CUSA. These were supposed to be easy out-of-conference scheduling but back fired. As for their losses to Top 25 teams, Kansas wasn't as good as their ranking/record showed; they didn't play Oklahoma or Texas and they played no ones in out-of-conference. They were a joke who beat VT. I actually witness that live. Super embarrassing. Notice what Kansas has done any other year; the most news you hear is that they made GT's t-shirt.[/QUOTE]

I am fine with the fact that Virginia Tech is that team that chokes and blows games no matter if they're big or small. I've come to expect it over the years and I will continue to expect it until Beamer realizes that defense and special teams need to be complimented by an offense that can actually score points. I'm not attempting to argue with you that Tech is somehow better in recent history than Florida State
even though I could point out 4 Virginia Tech ACC Championships since 2004 versus Florida State's 1 championship since then

The original point I made was: all the teams ACC haven't done well in out of conference games against high caliber opponents. You desperately want to believe that FSU isn't a part of that, but they are. You can laugh at VT all day long because they lost to JMU
but convincingly beat FSU that same year to claim the ACC Championship ;)
and ECU
but also claimed the ACC championship that year despite losing to FSU in the regular season
, but that doesn't really affect the point I was making. It's just you deflecting.

Virginia Tech and Florida State along with the other teams in the ACC have not been able to beat high caliber teams from other conferences.

I just wish the ACC could start producing a few teams that can beat some top tier competition. Obviously I hope it would be my favorite team, but I'd still be happy if any team in the league did it. I was rooting for Florida State in the Oklahoma game because I want the ACC to garner some real respect. Not to be known for "at least they're better than the Big East (kind of)".

[quote name='blindinglights']I'm not attempting to argue with you that Tech is somehow better in recent history than Florida State
even though I could point out 4 Virginia Tech ACC Championships since 2004 versus Florida State's 1 championship since then
.[/quote]
But you did.

The original point I made was: all the teams ACC haven't done well in out of conference games against high caliber opponents. You desperately want to believe that FSU isn't a part of that, but they are.
They aren't. We weren't favored in every bowl I can remember in past 5 years yet we come out on top. The only two teams you can point out finished Top 6 and won 2 National Championships. The one I gave you finished Top 3. That is very far from the lack of out of conference success by VT and some of the other ACC schools.

Our only problem is we lose games IN-conference and to Top 5 squads.

but convincingly beat FSU that same year to claim the ACC Championship ;)
Hats off to them. They beat a team missing their preseason heisman candidate/NFL QB Ponder, sidelined with a hurt throwing shoulder, playing in bad weather that the Seminoles are not used to playing in (native warm sunny Florida). But it's ok. We still enjoy that NC ;)

Not to be known for "at least they're better than the Big East (kind of)".
Hey at least one thing we should be able to agree upon is that none of us are as bad as the Big 1... I mean 10; the conference that gets spanked in their bowls year after year. This year shows only Wisconsin good. Ohio St isn't even ranked :lol:

[quote name='lordopus99']But you did.[/QUOTE]

No, I didn't. You took me lumping all the ACC teams together and labeling them mediocre to mean that I was somehow implying VT was better than the rest. Yes, VT has claimed 4 conference championships, but they've lived down to the ACC's level in other ways (i.e. choking away games they should win and/or bowl games against top teams).

They aren't. We weren't favored in every bowl I can remember in past 5 years yet we come out on top. The only two teams you can point out finished Top 6 and won 2 National Championships. The one I gave you finished Top 3. That is very far from the lack of out of conference success by VT and some of the other ACC schools.

Our only problem is we lose games IN-conference and to Top 5 squads.

You are so far from looking at this discussion objectively it isn't even funny.

Florida State bowl record since 2000: 6-5
Virginia Tech bowl record since 2000: 5-6

You think that Florida State's year-ranked losses aren't a big deal because they lost to good competition and two national champions, yet you brush off the fact that Tech's year-ranked losses are to three 12-1 teams and two national champions?

You really want to believe that FSU is somehow separated from the mediocrity that is the ACC and they aren't. They used to be a top team, not anymore. You can go on and on all you want about victories over 7-6 Wisconsin teams, but you know damn well that's not the big time marquee out of conference victories I'm talking about when I say the ACC can't beat high caliber opponents from other leagues. You even said it yourself that FSU can't beat the top teams... Just like everyone else in the ACC can't.

Hats off to them. They beat a team missing their preseason heisman candidate/NFL QB Ponder, sidelined with a hurt throwing shoulder, playing in bad weather that the Seminoles are not used to playing in (native warm sunny Florida). But it's ok. We still enjoy that NC ;)

I knew you would bring this up. Yeah, such a shame he was replaced by the backup who had already started games, was a preseason Heisman candidate for this year, and helped hype Florida State up for a top ten preseason ranking this year. Poor Florida State in that game.

Oh and I know you still enjoy that NC, because you keep denying FSU is mediocre like the rest of the ACC as if they won it last year ;).

Hey at least one thing we should be able to agree upon is that none of us are as bad as the Big 1... I mean 10; the conference that gets spanked in their bowls year after year. This year shows only Wisconsin good. Ohio St isn't even ranked :lol:

B1G 10 is definitely weak this year. I want to see how bad Nebraska ends up fairing after the beating they took this weekend.

There's no use in arguing with homers....

In realignment news, the Big 12 has agreed to equal revenue sharing for their Tier 1 (broadcast) and Tier 2 (Fox cable contract) revenue. That should help stabilize the league as before Tier 2 wasn't distributed evenly and the teams like Texas and OU that were on the channels more got more of the revenue. Doesn't effect Texas' Longhorn Network though as that's Tier 3.

Missouri's Board is meeting tomorrow at noon so that should wrap up the standoff with them either staying or going to the SEC--rumors/leanings are that they're staying in the Big 12.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/7054421/big-12-set-share-national-regional-tv-money

[quote name='blindinglights']
You are so far from looking at this discussion objectively it isn't even funny.

Florida State bowl record since 2000: 6-5
Virginia Tech bowl record since 2000: 5-6
[/quote]
I look 5 years back as programs change all the time. The differences - FSU: 4-1, VT: 2-3. This isn't a history lesson or I can take it back to 87 if you like when we began that national power who made the championship 5 times out of 10 years, winning 2 of them. AP Top 5 14 years straight. 1999 the only team to ever go wire-to-wire AP #1 (since USC had to vacate their 2004 wins).

You think that Florida State's year-ranked losses aren't a big deal because they lost to good competition and two national champions, yet you brush off the fact that Tech's year-ranked losses are to three 12-1 teams and two national champions?

You really want to believe that FSU is somehow separated from the mediocrity that is the ACC and they aren't. They used to be a top team, not anymore. You can go on and on all you want about victories over 7-6 Wisconsin teams, but you know damn well that's not the big time marquee out of conference victories I'm talking about when I say the ACC can't beat high caliber opponents from other leagues. You even said it yourself that FSU can't beat the top teams... Just like everyone else in the ACC can't.
Again it comes down to overall. Here...

Posted about 2010-11 bowl performances of ACC schools...
[quote name='ESPN']Worst milestone performance: The Hokies dropped to 1-27 against top-five competition, dropping the ACC to 2-11 in its BCS bowls.[/quote]
http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/21085/bestworst-of-the-acc-bowls

Posted prior to 2010-11's bowls... We lead all ACC schools, especially VT, in bowl wins. We are the 6th winningest bowl program by percentage in all the NCAA. VT, on the other hand, 0.391 (even lower after another loss)... their in-state rival Virginia has a better percentage of wins.
http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/19848/accs-best-bowl-teams

Oh and I know you still enjoy that NC, because you keep denying FSU is mediocre like the rest of the ACC as if they won it last year ;).
We are a good, not great, football school these past couple years. Mediocrisy isn't a label for a team finishing Top 25 most years and beating what competition the bowl committee members match us up with; again all who were favored against us.

[quote name='dmaul1114']There's no use in arguing with homers....

In realignment news, the Big 12 has agreed to equal revenue sharing for their Tier 1 (broadcast) and Tier 2 (Fox cable contract) revenue. That should help stabilize the league as before Tier 2 wasn't distributed evenly and the teams like Texas and OU that were on the channels more got more of the revenue. Doesn't effect Texas' Longhorn Network though as that's Tier 3.

Missouri's Board is meeting tomorrow at noon so that should wrap up the standoff with them either staying or going to the SEC--rumors/leanings are that they're staying in the Big 12.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/7054421/big-12-set-share-national-regional-tv-money[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I think you're right. I suppose he's free to think Florida State is still the great powerhouse they used to be if he wants to.

On the expansion stuff, have there been any rumors that WVU would go to the SEC that haven't originated from hopeful fans in Morgantown? Reading some of the objective articles and blogs around the web, they offer plenty reasons why adding WVU brings very little to SEC's table aside from their solid football and basketball teams (which oddly seems to have little value in this expansion whirlwind).

[quote name='blindinglights']Yeah, I think you're right. I suppose he's free to think Florida State is still the great powerhouse they used to be if he wants to.[/QUOTE]

No need to put words in my mouth. I didn't say that either. See above. All I said is we aren't as bad as the rest of the ACC when it comes to out of conference.

No idea on the WVU to SEC stuff. It's definitely heated up, but it seems to mostly come from WVU boards and some other random blogs (like www.leatherhelmentblog.com)

Only way I could see it is just if other teams like FSU, VT, Missouri etc. that offer more in terms of media market size etc. all have said no. If WVU goes to the SEC, it's just because Missouri said no, and no ACC teams were willing to leave. As you note, WVU at least brings strong programs and a passionate fanbase so they're not a bad fall back option for the SEC if they struck out on teams like FSU.

In any case, based on all the rumblings (namely the Big East not being able to pass an increased buy out in the presidents meeting yesterday) I've very confident that WVU is moving on to either the Big 12 or SEC.

Hopefully after the Missouri meeting tomorrow afternoon those dominoes will start falling.

I'd prefer Big 12 myself as I think we'd be more competitive in football, and SEC basketball sucks (and I like college bball more than football). But I have a feeling the SEC is more likely as there's more smoke coming from that direction--even if it is all or mostly from supposed WVU "insiders."

[quote name='lordopus99']I look 5 years back as programs change all the time.[/QUOTE]

Florida State: 36-31 over the past five years. 53% winning percentage.

"But, but, but.... the record is only that bad because they vacated victories!".

Well you seem to take vacated victories very seriously:

[quote name='lordopus99']1999 the only team to ever go wire-to-wire AP #1 (since USC had to vacate their 2004 wins).[/QUOTE]

AND THAT is how you catch a homer. ;)

Being a mediocre team in a mediocre league is fun isn't it, lordopus?

No?

Yeah, I feel your pain.

ACC group hug :grouphug:

[quote name='dmaul1114']
I'd prefer Big 12 myself as I think we'd be more competitive in football, and SEC basketball sucks (and I like college bball more than football). But I have a feeling the SEC is more likely as there's more smoke coming from that direction--even if it is all or mostly from supposed WVU "insiders."[/QUOTE]
If that is the case, why not want your program to stay? Even with Pitt and Syracuse gone, Big East is still a strong Bball conference.

[quote name='lordopus99']If that is the case, why not want your program to stay? Even with Pitt and Syracuse gone, Big East is still a strong Bball conference.[/QUOTE]

Too weak in football. No guarantee that league keeps an autobid when the BCS contract is up. So need to leave for greener pastures in that sport. Plus it's just a boring ass league. Part of the reason I'm more into college football is WVU's schedules have been lame since Miami and VT left. Hard to get excited for teams like Rutgers, UCONN, USF etc.

Ideal scenario would be WVU, Louisville and Cincy to the Big 12 to get them back to 12, as that would be a great bball league with those 3 joining Kansas, Texas, K-State, Missouri etc. While probably being the second strongest football league to the SEC.

And that is one of the rumors our there (that one mostly coming from Cincy site though--other blogs have WVU, L'ville and BYU as the 3 most likely).

But there's a lot more smoke about the SEC rumors than the Big 12 rumors from WVU "insiders" the past couple of days. So we'll see if there's any smoke behind it.

The A&M board insiders were pretty much spot on with info on their move, but in my experience with past coaching searches etc. the WVU boards don't have many people with good info. So I take it all with a gigantic grain of salt.

[quote name='blindinglights']Florida State: 36-31 over the past five years. 53% winning percentage.

"But, but, but.... the record is only that bad because they vacated victories!".[/quote]

Our players were in-eligible even in the games we lost. Thus, the record isn't what you posted. Nice try though.

2010: 10-4
2009: 7-6 (mediocre year I will give you that one)
2008: 9-4
2007: No wins/losses as players in-eligible
2006: 3-2 (before players get in trouble)
-------------
29-16 = 64%

Eh, I cheer for an ACC team that always seems like they could do really well and then screws it up. At least they're fun as hell to watch due to their offense nowadays. You should know by now who I'm talking about but just in case:
Georgia Tech

[quote name='lordopus99']Our players were in-eligible even in the games we lost. Thus, the record isn't what you posted. Nice try though.

2010: 10-4
2009: 7-6 (mediocre year I will give you that one)
2008: 9-4
2007: No wins/losses as players in-eligible
2006: 3-2 (before players get in trouble)
-------------
29-16 = 64%[/QUOTE]

Admittedly, I didn't waste a lot of time looking, but every article about the sanctions against Florida State says that the victories are forfeited, not the entire season. There are lots of articles about Bowden's win-loss record being affected and they only state that victories are removed, nothing about losses removed. I saw an editorial on the official NCAA website that says one of the major problems with vacating games are that losses aren't vacated along with victories. The Wikipedia (not the best source, I know) article about the team of that year only has the wins listed as vacated and North Carolina is the same way (vacated wins, not losses). To top it all off, I'm not exactly sure why NCAA would make them vacate the losses as that only penalizes the other team that beat them.

So that's all I got. I'm sure you'll find something that says the losses were vacated, so feel free to link me to it. Either way, your ultimate goal here seems to have been claiming that Florida State is somehow separated from the rest of the ACC and it's mediocre to average performances both out of conference and in general. You've pretty much downplayed every stat I've posted and came back with things that you claim to be impressive wins which really haven't been, in my opinion.

In the last five years (I wont take into account vacated games for FSU or UNC), Florida State has had three 7-6 seasons, a 9-4 season, and a 10-4 season. This is how they stack up against the rest of the ACC in that five year time frame that you like to use:

1. Virginia Tech 52-16, 76.5% winning percentage
2. Boston College 45-22, 67.2% winning percentage
3. Georgia Tech 42-25, 62.7% winning percentage
4. Florida State 40-26, 60.6% winning percentage
5. Clemson 39-27, 59.1% winning percentage
6. Wake Forrest 36-28, 56.3% winning percentage
7. Miami 35-29, 54.7% winning percentage
8. Maryland 34-30, 53.1% winning percentage
9. North Carolina 31-32, 49.2% winning percentage
10. North Carolina State 28-34, 45.2% winning percentage
11. Virginia 26-35, 42.6% winning percentage
12. Duke 13-47, 21.7% winning percentage

To me that, along with other things I posted, just shows a Florida State that is right in the thick of it with a conference that is struggling to make a good reputation for itself. I have yet to see one thing you've posted that makes me say "yeah, Florida State isn't apart of that average existence that is the ACC". I will say that you're right in that Florida State hasn't blown games they should win like Virginia Tech (James Madison and East Carolina), but they haven't exactly taken care of business very well in the past five years either.

I'm trying to look at all of this with an objective viewpoint. Which is why, despite having a great record over the past five years, I even think Virginia Tech falls into the category of "LOL ACC" because they find new and not-so exciting ways to choke away games against high caliber teams and cupcakes.

If you want to continue believing that FSU isn't "part of the gang" in the ACC, that's fine. I suppose we'll just have to agree to disagree because I'm pretty exhausted with this conversation.

How about a new topic?

Do you think Michigan has a legit chance of getting to a conference championship in the Big 10 given the way the teams in the conference are playing this year (mostly like shit, except for Wisconsin)? Or will they be exposed again with a streak of losing through the better part of the remaining games?

Who gives a shit about vacated wins/games in making this kind of argument. They still won and lost those games regardless of whether they are in the record books. The results on the field still speak to their strength on the field that year.

Why go to any lengths to argue stupid homer points with a blind homer?

Oregon Fighting Ducks??

New uniforms for this week:

ducksc.jpg

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/s...-tigers-curators-vote-consider-leaving-big-12

Looks like Missouri is probably leaving the Big 12.

Their board met today and gave their Chancellor power to explore conference options--A&M did the exact same thing before leaving. Though of course so did Oklahoma--but that fell through as the Pac 12 decided not to expand as they were only interested if Texas came along and dropped their network.

Missouri's chancellor also resigned from his post as chair of the Big 12 board of directors to avoid a conflict of interest.

Apparently there is a meeting of SEC Atheltic Director's tomorrow as well....

[quote name='blindinglights']Oregon Fighting Ducks??

New uniforms for this week:[/QUOTE]

At least they are making it back to their school colors. It isn't that bad looking.

I love how Missouri is acting like they're stuck taking the fat chick home from the bar at 2 a.m. because the hot girl they really wanted wouldn't even give them a second look.

I can understand why Mizzou wants to leave but it will be so weird if they do. The whole Kansas-Missouri rivalry will be out the window. They interviewed Bill Self and he basically said he won't go out of his way to schedule them as a non-conference game each year.

bread's done
Back