Official (2015-2016) College Football Thread OSU#1

[quote name='Chitown021']I can understand why Mizzou wants to leave but it will be so weird if they do. The whole Kansas-Missouri rivalry will be out the window. They interviewed Bill Self and he basically said he won't go out of his way to schedule them as a non-conference game each year.[/QUOTE]

It doesn't have to be that way. GT and UGA are huge rivals and they're in separate conferences.

http://brett-mcmurphy.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/29532522/32536916

TCU has been invited to the Big 12 and is expected to accept and join for next season.

One more blow to the soon to dead Big East.

From rumors, rest is dependent on what Missouri does. If they stay in the Big 12, look for the Big 12 to add Louisville and BYU to get to 12, with WVU likely the SEC 14. If Mizzou goes to the SEC, look for WVU to take their spot in the Big 12.

Also reports out that Mizzou doesn't have the needed 9 votes to get an SEC invite at this moment.

http://eye-on-collegefootball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/24156338/32536267

Will WVU be able to get the votes for the SEC moreso than Mizzou? I still wonder if WVU is going to get screwed here...

It's a shame about the academics because I would much rather see them in the ACC instead of Rutgers if 16 team conferences happen. WVU could maintain rivalries with Maryland, VT, and Pitt and WVU would strengthen ACC football. Plus they'd likely be able to be more competitive immediately in addition to having easier driving distances for their fan base.

I'm worried about WVU's future as well. Rumor is Mizzou informal vote count was 8-4, WVU's is 10-2. Reasoning is Mizzou is another West team, and some schools would rather add a team to the SEC east. If they add A&M and Mizzou, Auburn has offered to move to the SEC east--but some schools don't like that.

Other rumor on some blogs is that the SEC is planning on going to 16 with A&M and Mizzou in the west, and WVU and FSU in the east. ACC would grab UCONN, Rutgers and USF to get to 16. Those I take with an even bigger grain of salt though.

I'm with you on ACC being best fit for WVU with all the rivalries etc. But the snobby academic schools don't want WVU so it's a no go.

So it's pretty much either SEC, Big 12 or screwed. I still prefer Big 12 and hope they move over their with Louisville.

[quote name='dmaul1114']
TCU has been invited to the Big 12 and is expected to accept and join for next season.

One more blow to the soon to dead Big East.[/quote]
Man is that shady if that goes down. Though understandable from geographical standpoint.

[quote name='blindinglights']It's a shame about the academics because I would much rather see them in the ACC instead of Rutgers if 16 team conferences happen. WVU could maintain rivalries with Maryland, VT, and Pitt and WVU would strengthen ACC football. Plus they'd likely be able to be more competitive immediately in addition to having easier driving distances for their fan base. [/quote]
If ACC wanted Rutgers, it would have happened. UConn has been very vocal in their attempt to make it into the ACC. Rumors lead more towards Notre Dame. If Notre Dame would join, then UConn would be the other team.

Though in agreeance with both you, WVU would be a better addition from athletic, regional standpoint.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/ncf/story...cu-horned-frogs-meeting-discuss-big-12-invite

No go down about it, TCU to Big 12 is a done deal. Supposed to be officially announced this evening. They have the invite and their board is meeting today to accept it.

ND isn't going to the ACC. If they join a conference, they likely got to the Big 10 (along with Rutgers to make 14 is my guess). I think that may be why Rutgers has been so quiet. They and the Big 10 are hoping the Big East dies and forced NDs to finally join, and Rutgers goes along with the ride and adds the NYC market to the Big 10 network footprint.

If ACC expands, UCONN and USF are likely targets is my guess. USF may be only if FSU does leave though.

http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205311928&DB_OEM_ID=10410

Statement about other Big 12 votes today.

1. All schools approved granting their media rights to the league for a minimum of 6 years. Missouri did not vote on it and is not affected yet.

2. No tier 3 networks (like the Longhorn Network) can show any high school games or highlights.

Both of those will go a long way toward making the Big 12 stable. Hoping Mizzou leaves and WVU goes to the Big 12 with Louisville and BYU/Cincy.

Word is that if Missouri stays they'll just add TCU and stay at 10 for now. If they leave, they add 3 of the 4 above to get back to 12.

[quote name='lordopus99']If ACC wanted Rutgers, it would have happened. UConn has been very vocal in their attempt to make it into the ACC. Rumors lead more towards Notre Dame. If Notre Dame would join, then UConn would be the other team.

Though in agreeance with both you, WVU would be a better addition from athletic, regional standpoint.[/QUOTE]

I don't believe the ACC wants anyone right now. With the other conferences, except the Big East, settling down on the expansion front there's not a whole lot of motivation to expand further. Big 12 is trying to stabilize, Pac 12 claims to be happy, Big 10 claims to be content, SEC doesn't seem to be interested in 16 either so far.

If the BE collapses, that might encourage the ACC to make the move to 16 though as those remaining BE schools will be desperately looking for a home.

I'm highly doubtful that Notre Dame would ever join the ACC because I don't believe when push comes to shove they will give up football independence.

Dmaul,

I know Big 12 would be good as far as stability and competition for WVU, but how do you feel about WVU being that far away from all of its potential fellow conference schools?

Is there even a Big 12 school that could be driven to from Morgantown in a reasonable road trip? How would that distance affect the ability to form some good in-conference rivalries when fan turn-out could be potentially small at road games?

I think it sucks that the Big 12 has to be considered by WVU as an option at all.

If WVU joins the Big 12 then I'll be looking forward to the first time they have to travel To The Little Apple to play Kansas State in basketball. I doubt they have forgotten the way Bob Huggins left after only one year...

[quote name='blindinglights']Dmaul,

I know Big 12 would be good as far as stability and competition for WVU, but how do you feel about WVU being that far away from all of its potential fellow conference schools?

Is there even a Big 12 school that could be driven to from Morgantown in a reasonable road trip? How would that distance affect the ability to form some good in-conference rivalries when fan turn-out could be potentially small at road games?

I think it sucks that the Big 12 has to be considered by WVU as an option at all.[/QUOTE]

Travel would suck for sure. But most of the SEC schools are pretty far from Morgantown as well.

The ACC is the conference that makes geographic sense, but the snobby schools don't want WVU because of academics (ranked 164 in US News).

The fact is I'm skeptical the SEC is really intersested in WVU unless the rumors of Mizzou/FSU/WVU all to the SEC are true.

So it's down to hope for the Big 12, or stay in a depleted Big East that can't even attract service academies. Army said they weren't interested today, and Navy apparently isn't so hot on the idea any more either per washington post.

But yes, it's absurd that a program pretty high on the list of all time wins in college football (#14) and basketball (#21) looks to be either stuck in a terrible league, or in a league that makes no geographic sense. :bomb:

Yeah, hopefully the media stops with the "FSU is back" hype every year until they actually have a solid season.

WVU was lackluster in the first half only leading UCONN 10-9 at halftime, but came out strong in the 2nd half to win 43-16. Geno Smith finished with 450 yards and 4 TDs. Only UCONN TD was a pick six thrown by the back up qb on his first play.

We need to buyout Fisher and pay Peterson whatever he wants. Our team is uninspired, not disciplined, and way too predictable. We have a top 5 recruiting class for past two years and this is what we have to show for it. Just sad.

At least, I can curb my unhappiness for my team and turn it positive knowing that UF is getting destroyed last week and so far this week.

Wow, just saw the highlights of the new taunting rule in that LSU game. The punter scores on a fake punt and then it's wiped off the board for taunting...

Watch out for 5-0 Kansas State although we'll find out a lot more about them in a few weeks when they play Oklahoma.

Also the back end of their schedule is grueling.

Virginia Tech offense, totally inept one week. Next week, Logan Thomas comes out and goes 23 of 25, 310 yards, 3 TD 0 INT, 11 Rushes, 38 yards, 2 TDs. It's almost like they need to lose a game to wake up every year.

Today's game nearly gave me a heart attack.

After a lackluster first half, Michigan defense looking stellar. Offense looking good too, glad Denard is throwing any INT's in the 2nd half.

I think Pat Fitzgerald for NW is going to blow a gasket one day

[quote name='lordopus99']We need to buyout Fisher and pay Peterson whatever he wants. Our team is uninspired, not disciplined, and way too predictable. We have a top 5 recruiting class for past two years and this is what we have to show for it. Just sad.

At least, I can curb my unhappiness for my team and turn it positive knowing that UF is getting destroyed last week and so far this week.[/QUOTE]

Why was EJ Manuel throwing high on just about every pass?

The Noles aren't a bad team. They would have won today if either Manuel had been playing all game long or the offense was high-tempo for longer than when they needed to.

There's also something to be said about Wake having so many players from Florida. The vast majority of them were life-long Noles fans, and when you're playing a team that's full of guys who grew up dreaming of playing for the Seminoles and now they're on the other side, they're going to be even more psyched than normal.

Bud Noel, in particular, was extremely interested in beating Florida State (a Noles decommit) for his own personal reasons.

[quote name='Raccoon2117']Why was EJ Manuel throwing high on just about every pass?

The Noles aren't a bad team. They would have won today if either Manuel had been playing all game long or the offense was high-tempo for longer than when they needed to.[/QUOTE]
Manuel isn't that good. That's why the passes were high. Note his hurt shoulder is on his non-throwing arm. He did it during our first two games as well as against Oklahoma before getting knocked out. During this game he threw into quadruple coverage which resulted into a pick. His second pick he eyed his receiver the whole way so the safety (Noel) runs from the other side of the field drops his man to run to pick a ball that was already thrown into double coverage deep ball. If Manuel played the whole game, it might have been worse based on all the poor decisions he makes.

As for the offense overall, it is way too predictable. We run 85% of the time one of two passing plays: Side toss to WR (resulted in a pick today) and crossing routes throwing middle receiver around 5-7 yards out (one pick was tip at line on this play today). Our running game is pretty non-existent. Other teams realizing that makes it easier to defend. Until this changes drastically, we will be looking shotty.

Realignment rumblings...

TCU has a press conference tonight to officially announce Big 12 move.

Big East had a conference call today and released a statment that the commissioner was authorized to work on adding teams to get to 12 football members. More telling was that they still couldn't pass the increased exit fee and are still "discussing it." Likely means some current teams have 1 (or both) feet out the door already.

SEC had a meeting as well, said expansion was discussed but no decisions were made and no news to be released. Speculation is that Missouri doesn't have the 9 needed votes to join as some schools don't want another west team which would mean auburn switching to the East.

So rumors on blogs etc. that WVU may be in the mix again. Stronger rumors that we're in the Big 12 if Mizzou leaves for sure, less strong that we end up in the SEC if they stay in the Big 12. But just rumors both ways.

Hopefully some news soon. All WVU's AD said to day was "no comment" about the Big East expansion plans. He and the president have made no statements about commitment to the Big East etc., so hopefully that's promising. WVU president game state of the university speech today and just deflected a question on realignment saying we were in good shape but he couldn't say anything more. So sounds like some things are being worked on and we're not stuck in the Big Least for sure yet.

http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/extras/colleges_blog/2011/10/big_easts_fate.html

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/coll...big_east_may_hike_exit_UeOYA562UF6RL51LijVw1I

The Big East is a real clusterfuck right now. Lot's of bickering and in fighting over what schools to invite. Basketball schools want certain programs, football others. Football schools can't agree on inviting Boise. Villanova trashing Temple possibly getting invited. Basketball schools bitching about Notre Dame. etc. etc. etc.

Hope the other leagues expand more and put this POS league out of it's misery. :bomb:

First BCS rankings are out:

1 LSU 7-0
2 Alabama 7-0
3 Oklahoma 6-0
4 Oklahoma State 6-0
5 Boise State 6-0
6 Wisconsin 6-0
7 Clemson 7-0
8 Stanford 6-0
9 Arkansas 5-1
10 Oregon 5-1
11 Kansas State 6-0
12 Virginia Tech 6-1
13 Nebraska 5-1
14 South Carolina 6-1
15 West Virginia 5-1
16 Michigan State 5-1
17 Texas A&M 4-2
18 Michigan 6-1
19 Houston 6-0
20 Auburn 5-2
21 Penn State 6-1
22 Georgia Tech 6-1
23 Illinois 6-1
24 Texas 4-2
25 Washington 5-1

[quote name='lordopus99']Big East sends invites to Boise St and Air Force for football only. They also invite UCF, SMU, and Houston for all sports. They also are supposely asking Navy as well for football only.

Conference USA and Mountain West are planning to merge.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/s...east-sends-invites-five-schools-hike-exit-fee

http://espn.go.com/college-football...onference-usa-announce-football-only-alliance[/QUOTE]

I wish Mizzou would hurry up and shit or get off the pot so the Big 12 could move forward with their additional invites.

Also how bout those Wildcats? It will be interesting to see what happens when they face off against Oklahoma in a couple weeks assuming both remain undefeated. It was pretty insulting to hear Herbstreet say "I didn't even know they were playing football there this year..." during the BCS show this eveining. Yeah, they were the worst program in the Division 1 about 20 years ago but since have knocked on the door of the national title game and have been in the mix several times. It's not like Louisiana Monroe is 6-0 and in the BCS hunt or something..

Missouri to sec "imminent."

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/18/s...es-closer-to-joining-sec.html?_r=3&ref=sports

Big East agreed to raise exit fees from $5 million to $10 million pending both Airforce and Navy joining.

http://brett-mcmurphy.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/29532522/32794635

Not sure what it all means as WVU and Louisville are apparently the 2 main Big 12 targets if Missouri does leave...along with BYU.

http://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1280401

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...-members-unanimously-vote-to-raise-exit-fees/

Guess they could leave before the Big East adds any new teams, thus they voted for the increase just to help it pass and make the league more stable. Or they had the 11/14 votes they needed so it was pointless to vote against it.

Last edited by a moderator:
ESPN ticker is saying WVU and Louisvile are top two targets to join Big 12 if Missouri leaves, per Andy Katz.

Edit:

Not much news from the Big East press conference today. Just confirmed the reports from last night.

http://westvirginia.scout.com/2/1118749.html

-Exit fee up to $10 million (from $5 million), but not until new teams join. So theoretically current teams can leave before then and only pay $5.

-All teams approved going to 12 football teams. The commish wouldn't comment on specific targets, but said talks were underway but no invites had been sent. From other reports it's clear the targets are Navy, Airforce, UCF, Boise St., Houston and SMU.

-Commish said he plans on holding Pitt and Syracuse to the 27 month waiting period even if they get to 12 teams. They'll play with 14 for a year or two if needed. So Pitt and Cuse aren't going to the ACC before the 2014 season.

I still think that will end up getting reduced via a larger buyout personally.

I have no idea how another university is accepted into a conference, but Jeff Long, AD at Arkansas, said today he doesn't mind if Missouri comes in. Where there's smoke....

[quote name='munch']If Missouri does come I hope Auburn moves to the East.[/QUOTE]

As a fellow Auburn fan, I have to disagree. It makes sense geographically, but I like being in the West. Not to mention I'm very opposed to Missouri coming in, and the idea of Auburn "moving over to make room for Missouri" gets under my skin.

Auburn's traditional rivalries before the split in 199s were uat, UGA, Florida, and UT. With the move East we would have all of those rivalries every year. We wouldn't move to make room for anyone. If anything, by staying you'd be giving into uat. They don't want us to move. Going to the East is the logical move.

Mizzou to SEC appearing more and more likely--just had another board meeting.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/s...-tigers-give-chancellor-authority-strike-deal

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Missouri has taken another step toward leaving the Big 12 Conference and there is interest in the SEC in taking the Tigers.

The governing curators at Missouri unanimously gave Chancellor Brady Deaton the authority Friday to move the school out of the Big 12 if he decides that is in the school's best interest. He gave no timeline for a decision but indicated that a move, if it happens, would not take much longer.

"We're not looking at a long time frame," Deaton said, adding that any move would anticipate playing in another conference beginning next season, not in 2013 or farther out.

While Deaton avoided saying that he favors leaving the Big 12 or identifying the SEC as a potential landing spot, it was clear that the SEC is the target.

"We've provided information to the SEC," Deaton said at a news conference following a two-day curators' meeting, sitting alongside athletic director Mike Alden and other school officials.

SEC school presidents have informally discussed Missouri, and there's "certainly talk and interest" in adding the school, according to a person familiar with the situation. The person spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because the SEC has not publicly talked about the discussions.

There has been no formal vote by the presidents and one was not immediately scheduled, the person said. For his part, Deaton said discussions about realignment are ongoing and a "decision will be undertaken expeditiously."

The Big 12 did not immediately respond to message left seeking comment.

The league already has lost Nebraska and Colorado and will lose Texas A&M next year when TCU joins. Losing Missouri would leave the league with nine teams.

Missouri also decided to explore setting up a holiday basketball tournament and annual football game in Kansas City with an unidentified rival -- Kansas would fit the bill -- moves designed to answer critics who say departing the Big 12 will gut storied traditions that date back decades. Missouri and Kansas have played each other in football for 119 years.

"Should this decision lead to our departure from the Big 12, this board is committed to doing what we can to preserve the rich tradition and heritage that is very important to us here," curators chairman Warren Erdman said.

Key info is:

1. Their chancellor can make all conference alignment decisions, including contractual ones, without going back to the board for approval.

2. There was uproar in KC about losing money when the Big 12 basketball tourney probably goes elsewhere since there'd no longer be a Big 12 team in the state of Missouri. So they're working on an early season invitational tourney to help make up for that and offering to keep playing a football game there to try and quite the uproar from KC business leaders and politicians.

WVU is apparently on the top of the list to replace them if they go to the SEC.

http://articles.boston.com/2011-10-20/sports/30302763_1_west-virginia-big-east-target

Yep, there's been a lot of talk about the financial impact on KC when/if the Tigers decide to leave. Mizzou keeps saying they'd like to keep their rivalry going but Kansas has essentially told them to fuck off if they leave and I don't blame them.

[quote name='dmaul1114']WVU got absolutely embarrassed by Syracuse. Worst all around performance from wvu in quite a while. :bomb:[/QUOTE]
Your offensive line looked extremely pitiful. The one guy that came back from injury couldn't be stopped, even when they did a 3 man rush. Were you guys missing line men?

[quote name='lordopus99']Your offensive line looked extremely pitiful. The one guy that came back from injury couldn't be stopped, even when they did a 3 man rush. Were you guys missing line men?[/QUOTE]

No, the offensive line has just sucked for a couple years and been a main reason for a lot of our losses.

WVU's defense sucking balls was the main reason for the loss though. The offense could never get in a rhythm as syracuse had the ball for 35:55 compared to 24:05 for WVU.

Still just a shocking loss. Worst since losing to Maryland 41-7 in 2003 bowl game, and most points given up since giving up 52 to Penn State in 1991.

[quote name='blindinglights']Will the Big East even have a ranked team next week?[/QUOTE]

Doubtful unless WVU falls less than 10 spots since Rutgers lost as well. Maybe Cincy could sneak in if they beat USF on the road convincingly--that would put them at 6-1.

http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/extras/colleges_blog/2011/10/big_east_mwc_c-.html

In realignment news, apparently theres some crazy MWC/CUSA/Big East football only merger into a 32 team league being considered. And not just random speculation, the Boston Globe obtained documents proposing such a merger that have been disturbed among conference officials for consideration etc.

Interesting tidbit is that WVU is not included in the plans--sounds like they've already told Big East officials they're gone and the league is scrambling to find a way to keep a BCS autobid.

The current proposal would have four 8 team divisions, and the four winners would play a 4 team playoff at years end to determine the BCS bid. The divisions currently proposed would be:

West Division: Boise State, Hawaii, UNLV, Nevada, Fresno State, San Diego State, Utah State and San Jose State

Mountain Division: Air Force, Wyoming, Colorado State, New Mexico, UTEP, SMU, Tulsa and Houston

Central Division: Marshall, Memphis, Southern Mississippi, Tulane, UAB, Rice, Temple and Louisiana Tech

Big East Division: Louisville, UConn, Rutgers, Cincinnati, South Florida, Central Florida, East Carolina and Navy.

Also a 28 team proposal that "would not include San Jose State in the West, move Houston from the Mountain to the Central Division, eliminate Temple and Louisiana Tech from the Central Division and not include Navy in the Big East division."

Crazy idea, but suppose it is one way to keep the Big East leftovers in a BCS league, give BCS access to MWC and CUSA teams and hush a lot of complaining on that front etc. Would only be for football, other sports would remain as is--imagine the Big East would grab some Basketball schools like Butler and Xavier to replace teams they lost.

EDIT: Sounds like it was the MWC and CUSA circulating that document. So maybe not much to it if the Big East wasn't involved in coming up with it. Just work by those leagues to keep trying to get an autobid.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6270202/32854353

Just saw on the ESPN ticker that Andy Katz is reporting that the Big 12 expansion targets in order of preference are: WVU, BYU, Louisville, Cincinnati.

SPARTY-CHESTBUMP.gif

Wow, Mich St. vs Wisc was a classic! The ending is one of the best plays in college football history!

Damn, Red Raiders are not going away at all. Sooners are in trouble!

Hated seeing OU and Wisc go down since I always hope for a bunch of unbeatens to remain at years end to create chaos and uproar to help get us close to having a playoff.

So we still have:

LSU/Bama winner--no one else in the SEC is beating them.

OK State--K State and OU are the ranked teams left for them, and they get both at home.

Stanford--@USC and Oregon at home are their two main challenges left, plus Pac 12 title game.

Clemson--GT and South Carolina, plus ACC title game.

Boise State--don't see them losing in the MWC.

bread's done
Back