Official CAG board/card game topic. From Dominion to Battlestar we gots it all!

I was wondering if you had an opinion on buying from cardHaus brand new game or noble knight near mint game.
$ 2-3 more on the cardhaus brand new game. Probably worth it to get brand new game. Are both reputable as far as you know?

I have a question. It might be vague but it's worth a shot. So anyway I am kinda in the mood to get a either a fantasy based or historical based game. Looking for something geared towards 2-3 players, maybe 4 on the rare occasion.

Now here is the kicker. The group I am playing with doesn't want a game that requires tons of rule learning. They want something that in 5-10 minutes they can grasp the full idea of the game and be able to just get into it instead of just being confused for 2-3 hours. Looking for something more board game ish rather than card game, or if card game something with a objective to it not just kill everybody, and something with a bit of depth. I know my options are huge but I am open to about anything atm.

The games I own are
Arkham Horror
Civilization
Epic Spell Wars
Dungoneer
Fluxx

@Sir Fragalot - I think it's funny that your group is looking for something rules light and the first thing you list owning is Arkham Horror :whistle2:D

I have a couple historical game suggestions that are being re-released this year by Pandasaurus Games.

Tammany Hall is a game that is light on rules, yet still surprisingly deep in strategy. You position immigrants in an attempt to buy their votes during the mayoral election. Every four years whoever is elected Mayor has to appoint the other positions (each with their own powers). It is a game of screwing over your buddies to win, so your group needs to be in the mood for that and it may not be a game you play regularly because of that.

Great Fire of London is a semi-cooperative game where you have to weigh your actions based on whether or not you want to put out fires, or simply protect your own property.

As for fantasy, you might look into Smallworld. The easiest way to describe it is that it plays a little like Risk with special powers. There's also expansions with other races and powers, so if you like the game it can be further expanded to keep it fresh.

Edit: I've been picking up a lot of board games through Kickstarter recently. It's a bit of a drag though, because there's a long disconnect between the time your money leaves and the time the end product arrives. I was going to recommend Dungeon Heroes (currently on KS) as a fantasy game above, but it's strictly a 2 player game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does Lords of Waterdeep qualify? It has a Dungeons & Dragons theme, though it is not a D&D game. It's a worker placement game. It's pretty easy to learn. My kids and I were able to pick it up quickly. They are 10 and 11, and if they can figure it out and enjoy it after a couple turns, then I think probably anyone can. The only downside to the game is there are lots of markers and pieces and such to get out and then put away. Not a big deal, but I figure perhaps worth mentioning.

Over the weekend I picked up Android: Netrunner. The game seems interesting, but so complex. My youngest and I played it once and then I found out some of the things we were doing wrong, but probably not all. Also I think it might be a little too complex for him (10 years old, but he says he liked it). Has anybody here played it?

It's a 2-player asymmetric card game - meaning that the two players play by different rules and have some different goals. It's cyberpunk themed. It plays sort of like I imagine Magic plays (but I've never played Magic), but without the "collectible card" part. I mean you both have a deck that is set at the beginning - unlike a deck builder you aren't adding to your deck or reshuffling. There are expansions, but there is a fixed set of cards in them.

Yeah I have Netrunner. It is very difficult to figure out by reading the manual. For sure. Took me longer than most games. But if you have someone that knows how to play just show you it is super simple. Probably easier than Magic. The tricky part about it is it uses mechanics that are pretty unique so you have nothing to compare against.

I would recommend finding some tutorial videos on youtube and/or the ones Fantasy Flight puts out. Those always help me.

No posts since last February. Shameful! 

I picked up some new stuff for Xmas:

Twin Tin Bots: this is a pretty awesome robot programming board game. The trick here is you have two robots, but can only change one program instruction per turn (so, pick your robot to change, but both run). There's your basic instructions (move forward, turn, pick up, put down, zap, and there there are special instructions that do more that you earn by returning 2 point gems to your base (and you start with one). The goal is to pick up and return to your base gems that are on the board. It's really great and passed the family test too over the holidays. It's pretty easy to learn but winning is tricky. Two players was fun. 6 players was a hoot! Actually this was a kickstarter I pitched in for, but it shipped just before xmas, so I made it a gift to me. :)

King of Tokyo: this is also an easy to learn game that is a lot o fun. Our first game only lasted maybe 20 minutes, but our second game went longer as we all had learned from our first mistakes. Kind of a variation on Yahtzee, but with power up cards you can buy. Giant monsters punching each other. You can't lose!

Then some other stuff we haven't tried yet, but looks good:

Two more expansions for Flash Point Fire Rescue. Extreme Danger and Dangerous Waters. This was another kickstarter that arrived just before Xmas.

Lastly the expansion for Lords of Waterdeep: Scoundrels of Skullport. It turns out this is actually two expansions. They can be used separately or together. It also adds a 6th player (requires using at least one expansion). It looks good. Hopefully going to play it tomorrow if me and the kids are off school from the snow storm. :)

Started playing the Pokemon TCG Online recently. Going through the Trainers Challenge. Want to make a Water-type deck, but all my better cards are Psychic. :(

@Sir Fragalot - I think it's funny that your group is looking for something rules light and the first thing you list owning is Arkham Horror :whistle2:D
Agreed. We gave up on learning that one here.. the rules took forever to make any sense, and even then we got nowhere and said screw this. :/ I need to head to a game convention and find someone to demo it for me.

Started playing the Pokemon TCG Online recently. Going through the Trainers Challenge. Want to make a Water-type deck, but all my better cards are Psychic. :(

Drop me a PM, I can send you some league TCG Online promo codes. I run a local physical league, but they gave out online codes (still do...)

Good fantasy game for 2-4 people... the Dungeons and Dragons board games are fun.. I'm talking the Ashardalon (spelling?) Drizzt, Ravenloft series. They are fairly easy to play, fun, good for a small group, and we managed to get everyone mostly up to speed fairly quick. The game lasts a bit depending on the quest you choose to do, some are short, some are long.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just bought the Game of Thrones LCG from Fantasy Flight. It was $27 shipped I believe from Amazon.

Reason I bought it was my GF loves GoT and we both liked the amount of expansions/decks there are for it. Something we could build upon every time we hit a game store or something.

bread's done
Back