Official CAG board/card game topic. From Dominion to Battlestar we gots it all!

I have not seen a single post about this at BGG(and ofcourse not at CAG then). I also subscribe to the kickstarter geeklist and several other sources to help me try and find crowd funding projects. Apparently the IOS/PC game Shadow Era is going physical with the help of a crowd funding project. The project is already past its goal and further more has a whopping 6 stretch reward goals met with another 1 or 2 likely to be reached. Some of the stretch rewards are really nice things like extra foil cards, custom counters and even playmats. The next stretch goal level even adds a custom collector tin! Considering the minimum funding level is set at $20 that is incredibly generous and worthwhile.

Anyways as I said this had completely slipped under my radar and id have been pissed if I would have missed this. Hopefully this helps a few of you out since being in the last 2 days or so of the project leaves limited time.

Link for those interested
http://www.wulven.com/cards.php

The game is free to play on IOS devices and I believe on PC. There are also a lot of tutorials and reviews on youtube to help decide if its worth your money or not.

I've been following Exile Sun on Kickstarter for some time now. They recently reopened pledging to get funding to add miniatures to the final product. It looks like one of the more professionally done boardgame projects on Kickstarter right now. If I hadn't just bought a new car and proposed to my fiance (she said "yes," if you were curious), I'd pony up the $50.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gameknightgames/exile-sun-miniatures?ref=category

I ordered a copy of Food Fight from amazon. I like the iOS version of this game (by the same dev that made the pretty superb iOS version of Ascension), except for the online - this game does not translate well to asynch play at all. It's really not fun, drafting 2 cards and then waiting half a day to be able to draft 2 more cards. Repeat. If and when they add live play and/or timers (short timers), the online will be fun.

The game is very light, but still has enough variety and card combos to keep it fun, and it will be a lot of fun to play with my kids, so I'm looking forward to receiving my physical copy. It should arrive Thursday, maybe sooner.

I just got Hey! that's my fish Mayfair for $9.99 the other day. Good price I see it for 19.99 at most places, I think it was priced wrong. I played once with my son it was fun. Anybody else have it?

My wife and I just finished a review for the sadly overlooked Crows(we are actually the first people at BGG to review it!). I would really encourage everyone to take a look at it. because this game deserves a lot more attention!

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/8524574

Also dont know if it will help anyone or not but the developer of Farmageddon sent my wife and I a print and play copy of his game for review. Farmageddon is currently being kickstartered, so we intend to have the review up by Thursday at the latest.

Finally id just like to toss out that our collection broke 200 games a month or so ago. I think after the newest stuff we ordered shows up that we will be iting at abut 225ish!

Played The Stars are right tonight. My wife and I both really liked it...but man is the game a brain burner since its so outside what we have played before.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Played The Stars are right tonight. My wife and I both really liked it...but man is the game a brain burner since its so outside what we have played before.[/QUOTE]

Fun game, but I found that a couple of people in our gaming group just don't have the spatial relation skills in order to play. About three or four failed declarations of victory made it an exercise in futility for them. I like it a lot, though! =)

Been playing Ora Et Labora several times. Even my mom likes it. It has a sort of Agricola crossed with Le Havre feel but is less stressful than Agricola (no feeding phase). Will probably play it again tonight.

[quote name='thrustbucket']Been playing Ora Et Labora several times. Even my mom likes it. It has a sort of Agricola crossed with Le Havre feel but is less stressful than Agricola (no feeding phase). Will probably play it again tonight.[/QUOTE]

I got Ora et Labora, and I'm dying to play it, but it's been back-burnered until my group calms down about Risk: Legacy (which is pretty dang great, if you can come to terms with tearing up cards and writing on the board).

[quote name='Jek Porkins']Fun game, but I found that a couple of people in our gaming group just don't have the spatial relation skills in order to play. About three or four failed declarations of victory made it an exercise in futility for them. I like it a lot, though! =)[/QUOTE]

Yeah I imagine the spatial recognition thing combined with it being so outside the box makes it a difficult game for some people. I mean as I said before my wife and I both felt like our brains were twisting and contorting while playing that game ;)

[quote name='crunchewy']FYI, Crows is down to $24.73 at amazon, which is the lowest it's ever been there according to camelcamelcamel. I''m tempted, but still not entirely sure it's going to be my cup of tea.

http://camelcamelcamel.com/Valley-Games-207VLY-Crows/product/B0040QE4UC?locale=US[/QUOTE]

There is a seller at BGG Marketplace named wdragon that sells it for like $18ish. You have to pay shipping but that may still make it cheaper then amazon. He also has free shipping at $100. He is a bit slow to ship but iv used him twice now on big $150+ orders with no problems!

We are playing The Stars are Right a lot right now and REALLY enjoying it. When I realized it was a Cthulhu game and that we will also be doing another Cthulhu game(the LCG)I decided screw it we will just do a whole Cthulhu month! So for our He Says, She says review in another month or two we will be doing Cthulhu month!

On another note for our reviews last weeks Summoner Wars review was our most popular yet! We actually got 58 thumbs up, just a few more and we will be the second most popular written review at the site(the leader is just over 100 and was wrote at launch so I dont expect to catch it heh!). Also the Dice Tower News put us on the front page as a featured review! Made our freaking week! I actually squeeled like a little girl when I saw it because they did it without contacting us!

Link to the Summoner Wars review. Besides being the most popular we have wrote I think its our funniest(or I hope it is!).
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/773622/a-he-says-she-says-review-summoner-wars-ryan-looks

Link to the Dice Tower article just to show off and because it made us happy ;)
http://www.dicetowernews.com/dungeon-run-review-by-he-says-she-says/

Not much else to say. Our collection broke 250....was rather surprised by that ;)

Have you played Dark Minions? I just ordered a copy. Mainly because I game and chat with the designer, Alan Newman, on iOS a lot. LOL. Also it seems to have decently good comments on BGG, including at least one fairly glowing review. I decided to hold of on Crows at least for now. Not entirely sure it's my cup of tea.

[quote name='crunchewy']Have you played Dark Minions? I just ordered a copy. Mainly because I game and chat with the designer, Alan Newman, on iOS a lot. LOL. Also it seems to have decently good comments on BGG, including at least one fairly glowing review. I decided to hold of on Crows at least for now. Not entirely sure it's my cup of tea.[/QUOTE]

Nope have not played it yet. *goes to see what it is*

My kids and I played a game of Dark Minions over the weekend and it was a hit. We played the basic game to get our sea legs and it was fun. They wanted to play again, this time with the cards, but weekend events transpired against us and we didn't fit it in. Hopefully we can find some time this week to play again. It doesn't allow for a 2 player game, though I'm not sure why. We might try it 2 players anyway at some point. The box says 3 to 5.

The game box/pieces give off a somewhat odd smell though. I guess it's cheap materials. Presumably it will go away with time. I've never had a game that smelled weird. LOL.

FYI. I finally got an email alert that Cards Against Humanity is once again available for purchase. I ordered the game and the expansion from Amazon. It will be in stock March 17. According to Amazon I will be getting it on the 21st (I have Prime). If you've been wanting to buy this I would order it now because after they sold out last time there was a pretty good gap between their production runs.

@MorbidAngel - Unless you are just dirt poor then check ebay. It is pretty easy to find huge lots of cards fairly cheap. I think I spent like $100ish a few years back and got enough to make quite a few decent decks.

@Ramstoria - WTF is that?

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']It's basically Apples to Apples except offensive and awkward.[/QUOTE]

Heh well maybe since I hate Apples to Apples if you make it offensive and awkward it will finally be enjoyable ;) Seriously to me Apples and Apples = worst game EVAR

Cool Stuff Inc. is running a sale on boardgames right now. Nothing stands out for me, but they did have Battles of Westeros for $40, which is the cheapest I could find online.

Last edited by a moderator:
Which of the two different Game of Thrones board games is considered best? I have become a huge fan of the TV show/books within the last year and think it would be awesome to get one of the games.

Nightfall was released for iOS yesterday. It's by the same app dev as Ascension and Food Fight. Nightfall is way more complex than Ascension and seems more complex than Dominion too. Learning this game is going to require reading the rules, not just doing the tutorial. I did the tutorial hoping I'd understand afterward, but no such luck. LOL. It does seem like a pretty cool game. Has anyone played it (real or virtual)?

I played Elder Sign for the first time last night with some friends. It's a fun game, but it's a bit much. I realize they want to make it challenging, but it was tedious at times. I think our next play through will be a lot smoother, so I'll probably enjoy the game more after that.

[quote name='crunchewy']Nightfall was released for iOS yesterday. It's by the same app dev as Ascension and Food Fight. Nightfall is way more complex than Ascension and seems more complex than Dominion too. Learning this game is going to require reading the rules, not just doing the tutorial. I did the tutorial hoping I'd understand afterward, but no such luck. LOL. It does seem like a pretty cool game. Has anyone played it (real or virtual)?[/QUOTE]

I picked it up so far and its pretty good. My wife and I also reviewed the base game and its expansions a few months back. For anyone still on the fence about how the game plays
http://boardgamegeek.com/article/8415841

Now as for the developer. Everything they have made is quality so far! It has got me wondering how much it might cost to have them develop a game. I have designed a board game called "Nom Nom Nom!" that I hope to release within the next year or so(most likely through kickstarter)but I was thinking it would be great to get an IOS version released first. I wonder if they would charge $1,000s, or $10,000s to develop an app. I would love to get an IOS version out....I just dont know how realistic that is.

It took consulting with others, but now I understand Nightfall and am enjoying it (not that I'm good at it yet). The tutorial in the game is really pretty terrible. Also I think the app makes the game more confusing then it should be. Some of that is due to lack of screen real estate - for example you can't see your in-play minions and your hand at the same time - and some of that is due to things like how at the top you only see one player at a time, and how it indicates which player's archive and in-play cards are showing is too subtle IMHO. I have to wonder if they went with a simpler design if it wouldn't have been easier to understand.

But I'm enjoying it now and I'm considering the idea of buying the real version of the game.

I finally ordered the Storm of Souls expansion for Ascension. At first I'll play it separate, and no way am I ever going to mix all 3 sets - too many cards to shuffle at the start! - but after I get use to it I'll pull the Return of the Fallen cards out of my original set and mix those in. I can't wait to try it out.

I just bought Mage Knight, I've had this on my wish list for a while and Amazon had it for $75 so I finally bit. I'm pretty interested to play this game since, as I understand, it can be played 1 player, co-op, and PvP. Probably won't get too much time to play since Risk Legacy is dominating game night right now (we're on game 9 of 15).

Storm of Souls is good (but only had a chance to play once so far) and the artwork on the starting cards and always available cards are way, way, way better. I wish I could order replacement such cards for Return of the Fallen, then I'd have enough for 6 player games without having to mix in the ugly old art on them (some being uglier than others: cough Militia cough).

FYI, for those with Ascension, you can buy all of the existing promo cards direct from their site. They have them individually, as well as a "year 1 pack" that has all the 1st year promo single cards. I ordered all the ones I didn't have, which included the year 1 pack. Now I need another pack of sleeves. They are sold out of those, so I had to go through ebay. Cheaper than amazon, as it turns out.

http://ascensiongame.com/store

And speaking of those sleeves. The official ones are way better than any of the sleeves I've gotten from mayday. Those mayday ones are really pretty terrible. They feel sort of sharp edged and cheaply constructed - even the premium ones. Is there a better brand of sleeves for other games? I'd like to get some better sleeves for my other games that don't use the same size cards as Ascension. If they are the same size cards as Ascension I think I'd put Ascension sleeves on them!

I got Flash Point Fire Rescue, a coop board game, for Fathers Day and we played it for the first time tonight. It proved to be a lot of fun and everybody wants to play it again tomorrow. The beginner game is very accessible. My kids (9 and 11) had no problem picking it up after a few turns. The components are good quality with a nice looking double-sided board, wood Firefighter pawns, damage marker cubes, various counters and two dice (one 6-sided, one 8-sided). The game plays quickly - nobody sits for a long time. It can be played with 2 to 6 people. We played it with 4.

We won the beginner game, though only by one turn (we kept playing for fun and the building collapsed on the next turn). The beginner game, at least, is definitely a lot easier than, say, Ghost Stories, which I don't consider a bad thing at all. There is also an advanced game with additional elements and rules and multiple difficulty levels. Obviously we haven't tried that yet.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']I just bought Mage Knight, I've had this on my wish list for a while and Amazon had it for $75 so I finally bit. I'm pretty interested to play this game since, as I understand, it can be played 1 player, co-op, and PvP. Probably won't get too much time to play since Risk Legacy is dominating game night right now (we're on game 9 of 15).[/QUOTE]

I've played a few games of Mage Knight and have really enjoyed it. It's a remarkably versatile game--there's not many games that can scratch the co-op, PvP and single player itches so well. Have you gotten a chance to play it?

Also recently played Lords of Waterdeep--clean, simple worker placement game. If I ever wanted to teach someone the basics of a worker placement game, I'd be inclined to use this one, especially if the placer has any interest in fantasy games (the actual flavor is pretty light, but still present).

I'm thinking of picking up Dominant Species. Has anyone given it a try?

Not much to report on what I've played lately. I just bought a house and have been busy with the move. I was able to play a few games of Forbidden Island, Touch of Evil and Cards Against Humanity this weekend, but that's it for the last couple months :(

Flash Point Fire Rescue, that I mentioned above, has a Kickstarter for a new expansion, plus it's a chance to get the existing expansion (or the original game and the expansions), plus new firefighter figures and some stretch goal bonuses that sound pretty cool. I definitely recommend this game. We have had a lot of fun with it, so I'm in for both expansions at $25. Cheap. Actually I splurged for the airmail shipping to get it faster, so it's $35 to me for 2 expansions and the extras, still seems a good deal, though if I'd known about this KS early I could have had free air shipping. Oh well. Still a good deal IMHO:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2012515236/flash-point-2nd-story-urban-structures-and-ff-figu

At 1400 backers (not counting the $1 level pledges), the first stretch goal is unlocked. That's almost certainly going to happen as they are close already. The second stretch goal is if they reach $100k, which is possibly doable.

Picked up Kingdom Builders this weekend, it just won the 2012 Spiel des Jahres. Fun game, very quick to learn and games are only about 30 minutes. It's nice because every game is a little different so you get a good variety. Definitely would recommend.

I am super excited for board games the next few weeks. My wife is finally done with school and we are not flooded with Kickstarter reviews at the moment so we can play/review what we want. The next 2 weeks is nothing but Summoner War expansions and then after that we get to review the rerelease of The Great Fire of London which was sent to us for free by the publisher ;)

[quote name='crunchewy']I have a friend who has decided to buy all the Spiel des Jahres winning games, so I won't have to buy it. :)[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure that I'd buy them all, but after looking at Wikipedia I was surprised by how many I already own.

Kingdom Builder
Dixit
Dominion
Ticket to Ride
Carcassonne
Settlers of Catan

A month ago, I owned zero board games. Now, I own three (or two depending on how you look at it).

1. Ticket to Ride
2. Tsuro
3. Zombie Dice

The thing for me when it comes to board games is that it has to be appealing to two players since it mostly just the wife and I playing. It also has to be pretty easy to learn, because when board games get too complicated, I just stop caring.

With that being said, anyone have any suggestions that fit that criteria?

[quote name='Temporaryscars']A month ago, I owned zero board games. Now, I own three (or two depending on how you look at it).

1. Ticket to Ride
2. Tsuro
3. Zombie Dice

The thing for me when it comes to board games is that it has to be appealing to two players since it mostly just the wife and I playing. It also has to be pretty easy to learn, because when board games get too complicated, I just stop caring.

With that being said, anyone have any suggestions that fit that criteria?[/QUOTE]

Well, if you like Ticket to Ride, I recommend Power Grid and Catan. Those are similar style games. Days of Wonder, the creators of Ticket to Ride, have put out some great games, including the Small World series.

My favorite board game publisher is Fantasy Flight Games. Their stuff is a bit more complex, but they put out fantastic games, including the Arkham Horror series and Battlestar Galactica series.

bread's done
Back