Official CAG folding team! We're Back, new contest starting soon!

Glad the team is growing.

Still working on the sig. It is close.

PhrostByte is making a run at me :)
I'll have to step it up a notch.

Keep Folding!

Yeah, I could use help getting both cores running.
Anyone have a simple walkthru for setting it up?

[quote name='arbiter']Yeah, I could use help getting both cores running.
Anyone have a simple walkthru for setting it up?[/QUOTE]

Are you running the console version?

ARGH! I started a response and accidentally closed it. I’ll try again.

[quote name='arbiter']Yeah, I could use help getting both cores running.
Anyone have a simple walkthru for setting it up?[/QUOTE]

Someone else will probably have a better written version of this, and there are multiple ways to do this, but here’s one that’ll get you started. I’ll try to be fairly basic since I’m not sure your familiarity with DOS commands.

-You want to download the text-only/Console version from http://folding.stanford.edu/download.html The correct version is 5.04.

-Next you need to create two folders, and put a separate copy of the program in each folder. The folders can be called anything, and stored anywhere on your hard drive, but I called them “folding1” and “folding2” and put them in “Program Files”. You need two separate copies because you’re literally running two copies at once since you have two CPUs, so you’re doing literally twice as much work at the same time.

-Open a command prompt and navigate to the first folder. To open a command prompt, you can click Start, then Run, then type cmd.exe (or navigate to the “command prompt” in your start menu-might be under system tools or something like that). Once it’s open, you can get to the folder by typing (without the quotes) “cd \program files\folding1” and hitting enter (that’s assuming you named the folder what I did and put it in the same location).

-Next launch the program by typing “fah504-console.exe -configonly”. (the -configonly tells the program to exit after configuring it).

-It first prompts you for a username, defaulting to anonymous. You don’t actually need one, but filling in a username lets you track your score and how much work you’ve done on the Folding @ Home site.

-Next it asks for a team number. Again, you don’t need one, but filling in one lets a team also get credit for the work you do. In this case, enter “53337” as the team number to join the CAG team, hit enter.

-Next it asks you if you want to launch it automatically as a service. Type “yes” and hit enter (there are other ways to launch it automatically, but this is what I use on most machines).

-Next it asks if you want it to ask before sending and receiving work units. Just hit enter to accept the default (no).

-Hit enter to accept the default not to use internet explorer’s settings, and again for proxy settings (unless you have to use proxy settings to connect to the internet, but you’d have to find out those from your ISP, and probably set them up the same as you did for your web browser).

-Next it asks if you want to allow receipt of work units larger than 5MB in size. This basically depends both on your internet connection and the amount of RAM you have in your system. Most work units are really small, but if you type “yes” here occasionally you’ll get larger ones.
If you use dial up internet, you might want to type “no”. You might also want to say no if you don’t have much RAM. I say “yes” for systems that have 512MB or more.
So basically, here’s what I’d say for you. Say “yes” if you’ve got 1GB or more of RAM, and a broadband connection. No if you’ve got 512MB or less, and possibly no if you have dial-up internet.

-Next it asks if you want to change advanced options, type yes.

-hit enter to accept the defaults for “Core Priority”, then “CPU usage requested”, then “Disable optimized…”

-Next it asks if you want to pause when battery power is being used. If you have a laptop, you’ll probably want to type “yes” here, otherwise just hit enter to accept the default “no”. This option makes the program quit running whenever you unplug a laptop (and vice versa I assume).

-accept the default for “Interval…” and “Memory…”

-Accept the default for “Request work units without deadlines” (this is for slow systems or systems that aren’t on enough to finish a work unit before it expires-but if you use your system every day or so, and since you’ve presumably got a pretty fast CPU since it’s dual core, you can just accept the default “no” on this).

-The next one about advanced scientific cores I’m really not sure if I should be using or not-I just go with the default “no”.

-Go with the default on “Ignore any deadline…”

-Next up is the real reason we’re configuring the advanced options-the Machine ID. This is what lets you run multiple copies of the program without them getting mixed up.
For the first copy of the program you’re configuring, go with the default “1”. But when you configure the second copy of Folding (ie the copy in the folder “folding2”) type “2” here.

And that’s it! It’ll exit, and you just need to configure the second copy. You’d just go through the process again, except type “cd \program files\folding2” to get to the second copy, and type “2” when it asks for a machine ID.

Now every time you start your computer, both copies are automatically started in the background. If you’re familiar with the “services” control you can launch them right now from there (and can pause or stop them at any time from there). But if you’re not, it’s probably simplest to just restart your computer.

Now, here’s how to check on the status of each copy of Folding…

After it’s started running the first time, the program will create a file called “MyFolding” in it’s folder (ie folding1 and folding2). Just double click that to open it in your web browser.

It tells you your user name and team number, and gives links for other info.

The “current/lastest unit” link tells you the name of the protein you’re working on (I keep getting ones named “supervillin” lately-must something nasty :D ) It also shows when it was downloaded, when it’s due, and the % that’s been completed.

The other two main links are for your statistics-personal and for the team you’ve joined. Those go to the Stanford web site. It can be kind of fun to see how you’re doing against other people on the team.

The reason they have a score besides just the number of work units completed is that the number completed doesn’t mean much. They actually have a lot of separate programs (ie cores) for different types of work units, and it tends to send different types of work units to different CPUs-ie simpler/easier ones to older CPUs or CPUs without as many advanced features, stuff like that.

There’s also a version of Folidng @ Home for GPUS! It’s in beta, and unfortunately I don’t have any hardware that will run it (yet). Right now it only runs on Radeon x1600, 1800, or 1900 series cards, though presumably eventually it’ll run on any DX 10 card as well. Hopefully I’ll have a laptop soonish that’ll be able to run three copies at once (one on the GPU, one on each CPU :D ) Better still would be a quad core system with like two or four GPUs...or how about two quad core chips :D )

Ok, I got it.

Does it cause a problem if I kill the service while it's running?
I use my machine as a PVR, I don't want the folding client to cause my recordings to stutter.

ok FINAL WEEK to enter the contest and be an active folder to be entered in teh drawing... again you get any DVD (within say 20 bux) from amazon.com (or .co.uk or w/e)

we have 10 so I'm giving one chance to the laggers to jump on the folding bandwagon.
Drawing will be next Thrusday at 12am EST

team53337xi6.png

[quote name='csidegamer']As soon as anything else starts, the service will suspend. And start again when the resources free up.[/QUOTE]

Yup, only uses unused CPU cycles, so there's no reason to pause the service. It won't affect DVR stuff at all.

[quote name='csidegamer']hey Logain, is your username from The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan?

if so, i am reading the 10th book currently.[/QUOTE]

Sure is.

That's actually about the point that I ended up dropping the series. I kinda got sick of nothing happening for book after book after book.

Logain is still 5 kinds of a pimp though.

[quote name='Logain8955']Sure is.
That's actually about the point that I ended up dropping the series. I kinda got sick of nothing happening for book after book after book.
[/QUOTE]

Same here.

9 ended well, and 10 is much better than the last few.
So there is hope.

PhrostByte, what are you running that you caught me so fast?

The new GPU clients?
You got some serious points for whatever thos projects were.

I rebooted, and it looks like only one copy of the service is running.
I installed the copies to:
c:\program files\folding\folding1 and \folding2
But when I look at the service, it says it's running from
c:\program files\folding@home\

I had the graphical client installed before. I wonder if it goofed up my config.

[quote name='csidegamer']PhrostByte, what are you running that you caught me so fast?

The new GPU clients?
You got some serious points for whatever thos projects were.[/quote]

Mostly C2D's.

Wow...I think the more important question...is how many Core 2 Duo's?
Dang!

I did manage to get both cores running at the same time. I had to uninstall the GUI client, for some reason I think the GUI service was not letting the console versions launch.

Glad you got it working... I'm gonna go ahead and say 6-8... depending on how many are still up. Lots of Pentiums and Athlons as well. 1 Celeron.

I thought I was running two single cores for the team but one of them i must not have put the Team # in correctly cause it's folding for the whole thing apposed to 53337

[quote name='stealth1290']I thought I was running two single cores for the team but one of them i must not have put the Team # in correctly cause it's folding for the whole thing apposed to 53337[/quote]

That sucks dude... :bomb:

Oops. Well, my dual cores both completed their first two WU's. Yay! Moving on up. :)

No way I'll catch up to the leaders though.

THE CONTEST IS OVER!!!! winners are.... PhrostByte... and the random draw is CSideGamer
PM me for your prizes

we'll have another random draw when we reach 15 active folders.

thanks to everyone who played!

and for anybody who is curious I used This to pick the numbers

[quote name='stealth1290']THE CONTEST IS OVER!!!! winners are.... PhrostByte... and the random draw is CSideGamer
PM me for your prizes

we'll have another random draw when we reach 15 active folders.

thanks to everyone who played!

and for anybody who is curious I used This to pick the numbers
[/quote]

Yayyyyyyyy.

Nice come from behind win Phrostbyte.

How many machines you running?
Looks to be at least 9 from your stats.

I just brought my 9th online yesterday.
Only 4 are P4 HT's running two cores.

[quote name='csidegamer']Nice come from behind win Phrostbyte.

How many machines you running?
Looks to be at least 9 from your stats.

I just brought my 9th online yesterday.
Only 4 are P4 HT's running two cores.[/quote]
To tell you the truth I don't know... about 9 or 10 I'd say. I just randomly installed the folders at my friends/family/clients houses. But I'm gonna drop the rest of them of them and just do 1.

Also I installed Vista last night and I'm only going to run 1 of my cores until the Windows SMP client comes out... should be soon. I figure it's time to give my PC's a break.

Oh yeah I'm also gonna fold for Team Google as well.

sorry to the winners for not sending the prizes, I had my car broken into while I was at work (great security we have). anyway all my Credit Cards were stolen along with some other monitary things, I'm flat ass broke atm, so it will take me a week or two to get back on my feet. sorry for the delay

[quote name='stealth1290']sorry to the winners for not sending the prizes, I had my car broken into while I was at work (great security we have). anyway all my Credit Cards were stolen along with some other monitary things, I'm flat ass broke atm, so it will take me a week or two to get back on my feet. sorry for the delay[/quote]
Dude don't even worry about it.. folding isn't about money, it's about science.

Anyway, for everyone who owns a dual-core:

With the GPU and PS3 ports looking more and more mature, we have put more efforts into Win SMP and v6 and I am happy to say that we are begining to testing both with outside alpha testers. It's still early, but we see the light at the end of the tunnel on both now that they're in outside alpha testing.

For now just run two copies at once on a dual core processor (or four on a quad-core). You're still doing two (or four) times the work that way.

[quote name='PhrostByte']Dude don't even worry about it.. folding isn't about money, it's about science.
[/QUOTE]

Seconded.

Take care of you first.

Did you get the cards canceled before they were abused?

[quote name='csidegamer']Seconded.

Take care of you first.

Did you get the cards canceled before they were abused?[/quote]

yes, thankfuly.

I wish I had known about this sooner/earlier/before. I'm definitely going to start doing this as I leave one of my comps on all the time all night. I wish there was this program from 360 as well since they just came out with a PS3 one. Any news on whether or not they'll have one for 360?

Nope. Microsoft would have to give at least minimal support to Stanford-ie let them do it for free, give them tools and system info.

There's probably a chance the 360 could run a version on it's GPU, although it's CPU wouldn't be as fast as the PS3 version.

Hopefully Microsoft will work with them to get one released for the 360 too :)

I did notice my overall ranking has fallen a few notches recently...I wonder if it could be from existing people augmenting their scores with PS3s?

Microsoft has been interviewed about this. They said they may be willing to give Stanford access to the SDK to make a client and put it on Live if there is enough interest from 360 owners, and if they can show that there would be a real benfit from a 360 client.

I wonder if some of that isn't doubletalk for:
"We don't want to release a client until we're really sure it's going to look competitive agianst the PS3's performance."

I mean, really this kind of computing is what the Cell CPU is made for...it's going to kick serious tail when it comes to completing WU's. The 360 may be a more successful console, but probably will not perform as well at F@H as the Cell, because none of the CPU's in the 360 are really designed for this kind of workload.

So the Windows SMP beta client is out and I can't get it working. Those F@H people really need to get their shit together. Sure the OS might be hard to code for... but is it THAT hard? Come on.

I'm back on the bandwagon. New Core2Duo is churning away.
I notice the PS3 users have formed a seperate team.

^ Good question, I feel as though I've neglected this... it's been years since I've really been an active CAG poster (life gets in the way sometimes) but I'm back now. I just looked at the stats, it appears some of the computers I installed F@H on back in 2006/2007 are still running it!!!! Regardless, I'm considering possibly doing another contest in the future if there are folks here that are still interested in donating there unused cycles.

Edit: I really wish I knew what computers these were installed in :p I mean to go almost 4 years and the OS hasn't been re-installed and nobody noticed the little red cog in the corner is kind of surprising. It's possible my they're running at my old job in Michigan, and one is more then likely my grandparents computer which stays on 24/7 yet is rarely touched.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='stealth1290']Edit: I really wish I knew what computers these were installed in :p I mean to go almost 4 years and the OS hasn't been re-installed and nobody noticed the little red cog in the corner is kind of surprising. It's possible my they're running at my old job in Michigan, and one is more then likely my grandparents computer which stays on 24/7 yet is rarely touched.[/QUOTE]

Same here. I cannot think of what pc's must still be running this. Probably my mom's desktop and laptop and maybe my kids pc's but I know I've reloaded my server and personal laptop since then, yet it still shows 6 core's active for me.

Gonna reload on my server for sure and possibly laptop.

Welcome back.

I'll consider folding again.. but now all I have is a really crappy old laptop that only runs Linux... (and a really nice Android phone, Samsung Galaxy S2).

I'll look into it.

^I feel ya, I'm going to install it on my HTPC shortly. Do they offer an android option? Well, I'd imagine it would kill my battery life so I don't know that it's an option. Still not sure what kind of contest to run to get some interest going. Maybe a recruitment drive, first person to get 5 other people to complete 5 WU wins or something along those lines. I have a pretty juicy prize in mind but I need to nail it down before I announce it.

Any chance of this getting a sticky? That would really help the cause! Also, heard something about the PS3 guys doing there own team, maybe we should have a little inter-CAG competition!?!

bread's done
Back