Official Coffin Support Group - Is your 360 Dead? Post Here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took my 360 back to Target a couple of days ago since it was freezing up on me. It started freezing while I was playing games, and got so bad that it froze up in the dashboard as well. It froze once during the 360 opening screen, not even making it all the way to the dashboard. I wanted to exchange it, but they refunded my money instead. I bought a new 360 last night from Target since they have a 90 day exchange policy. That gives me 3 months to play with it and exchange it if I see any problems. I'm hoping this 360 lasts more then 3 weeks.

I called MS and asked about the extended warranty that I had for the original system. They told me that when I got my new system I'd have to call back with the new serial number. Unfortunately, it sounded like I'd also have to write a letter to the warranty department to get it transferred to my new system. I'm not sure why you have to write a letter to get your extended warranty changed or canceled.

My 360 just died. Thank god for the new 1 year warranty (bought mine in march), just got off the phone with a rep and they should be sending a coffin soon.

Update: I went back to Sears and thankfully, they attempted to exchange it. By attempt, I mean that realistically, I should've been pointed into the direction of manufacturer's warranty instead of the honoring the store 30-day guarantee home electronics since I was well into my 60-day ownership. They didn't have one in stock so the cashier refunded the full amount, no 15% restock fee. I do not believe that is company protocol (I worked at the #1 regional Sears as appliance salesman for a short time), no further comments.

I mind as well wait until March to see if there is any truth to a cooler CPU in production.

Got my 360 back yesterday. So far so good the only problem is that the disc tray doesn't always open when I press the button the 1st time.

so she died today. of course i go on vacation away from my 360 for over three weeks and now i come back and a day later she's dead. i also traded in my gamecube and original xbox to pay for my wii which i haven't been able to get. so i'm console-less. i guess this makes my goal of beating fire emblem and metroid prime hunters by the end of the month easier. glass half full right? speaking of glasses, i need to go drown my sorrows in left over new years beer. btw, how long does this whole process take, on average?

Took me a solid week to get the coffin, I was rather shocked as I heard 2-3 days. Whatever. Shipped it off this morning.

Sigh.. i've forgotten what it's like to own a 360. I have 24 360 games and haven't been able to play it since mid-November. It was past the 90 day warranty and I had to buy Christmas presents so I couldn't afford the charge at the time.. glad they extended the warranty.. here's hoping I get it back within a week or two so I can finally crack open my copy of RS: Vegas and NHL 07.

Do they email you when it's on its way back?

Mine arrived today...with the faceplate completely busted. Some of the plastic pieces were actually jammed in the console.

I was able to jimmy out some of the pieces to mail back to for a replacement faceplate. The console works well so far. Date is 3/22/06. Sounds much quieter than my original console.

Took me only 2-3 business days to get my coffin and then another 3-4 business days to get the console back once they got it. So in total about a week and a half. They sent me an email both when they got my console and when they sent me out a replacement.

They got my system at the repair center Friday and they shot me an email this morning saying one was being shipped back to me today. Obviously not the same one since they were that fast, but I should probably get it next week.

Nice.. let's just hope it works..

Today was the first day I had played my Xmas 360. I put in Gears and played on and off for about 3 hours do fsr. A few mionutes ago I get a DRE, so I restart and I get another one.

WTF?

Well its getting sent in.... My 360 has been freezing up on everything after 45mins or so for the last month, tried all the steps on the support site nothing worked. I also noticed in the past few days that was taking forever to boot up. Oh well the coffin will be here in a few days. :whistle2:(

So I wrote about 3 weeks ago that I should be getting a prepaid box in 2 days. I still don't have one. They are so useless down there. They actually CALLED ME last Wednesday and told me that they were doing the order and I should get a box in 4 business days, and to call back to get a tracking number. I call back tonight and they tell me my order has been cancelled!

I asked to speak to their supervisors, and apparently the supervisors (tier 2) don't have supervisors. No one's in charge down there, and the only way they can contact the service center is through email. Which must be on an Exchange server, which would explain why half the orders get lost.

So I've been given the runaround now for about 8 weeks and counting. I'm seriously considering burning my broken-refurb-360 and getting a wii.

Anyone have any other microsoft phone numbers? 1-800-4MY-XBOX is useless.

I would contact the better business bureau. I think they should be able to help (though I could be wrong).

and now yall have me scared about my Xbox coffin. Not being able to play Gears is already eating at me, and with new content it is going to be really hard to deal with the wait, especially since the piece of shit crapped out in a little over 3 months.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']I would contact the better business bureau. I think they should be able to help (though I could be wrong).

and now yall have me scared about my Xbox coffin. Not being able to play Gears is already eating at me, and with new content it is going to be really hard to deal with the wait, especially since the piece of shit crapped out in a little over 3 months.[/quote]That sucks...hope you get yours fixed soon. I think I was playing Gears with you and a bunch of other CAGs just the night before yours died.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']That sucks...hope you get yours fixed soon. I think I was playing Gears with you and a bunch of other CAGs just the night before yours died.[/QUOTE]

It was the same night, just a little later (about 4 hours after we disbanded for the night).

[quote name='stuffluster']So I wrote about 3 weeks ago that I should be getting a prepaid box in 2 days. I still don't have one. They are so useless down there. They actually CALLED ME last Wednesday and told me that they were doing the order and I should get a box in 4 business days, and to call back to get a tracking number. I call back tonight and they tell me my order has been cancelled!

I asked to speak to their supervisors, and apparently the supervisors (tier 2) don't have supervisors. No one's in charge down there, and the only way they can contact the service center is through email. Which must be on an Exchange server, which would explain why half the orders get lost.

So I've been given the runaround now for about 8 weeks and counting. I'm seriously considering burning my broken-refurb-360 and getting a wii.

Anyone have any other microsoft phone numbers? 1-800-4MY-XBOX is useless.[/QUOTE]

I also went through this bullshit to get my 2nd coffin. I feel your pain...I'm still waiting on my copy of Kameo that they told me they would send me for my trouble:roll:

Got around to calling today. Said they're going to send me a coffin. I had a hard time understanding her. Hope she took my address down right.

Do they always e-mail when they recieve the system for repair? I sent mine out about a week and a half ago and have heard nothing since. I'm mostly worried because the first person I talked to totally screwed up all of my info. I got the coffin OK (obviously) but now I have no idea of my status.

This will teach me for not keeping my tracking number.

The January update just took my 360 (and a couple of my friend's).

Thanks, MS!

:banana: :banana: :banana: :360: :banana: :banana: :banana:

402xpi0.jpg

Maybe I'll get around to replacing it this week, then again maybe not.

No rush for me.

Well, another couple days, a whole bunch more calls and I think some things might be moving along. Today, I actually talked to someone that spoke english and appeared to actually be competent. For the first time, I've received some emails saying that my fulfillment game (PGR3) is shipping, with tracking number, and I also got another email saying I should prepare my console for the next step or something, which is hopefully my shipping box. This is the first time I've received any emails.

On Monday, I also filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, and complained to Microsoft customer support (instead of xbox customer support). So maybe those have something to do with it. Or maybe just a coincidence?

Hopefully, I'll get my box soon, and another 360 not much longer after that.

i was thinking of calling them now from work...

what do they usually ask you for when you want them to replace your 360...

do i also mention i would like to buy their extended warranty?

so they send you a coffin and you put your 360 in there..

how do you send it back? they better not lose my system.

based on my experience...

They ask if you've got an exsisting service ID. Then they ask for the console's serial number. I had to verify the console's owner by giving them my address, etc.

Then you explain the situation. They offer tips, but I just cut to the chase since I had already done them previously. They verified my address one more time, issued me a service ID and told my the box was on its way. I received my service email 3 minutes later.

I placed a call to get the tracking number on the box since it was the holidays and I didn't want it to get lost in transit. The box arrives with instructions and new labels. I wrote down the tracking number for the transit box, then I boxed the 360 up and dropped it off at a UPS store. Within two days, I recieved my email stating they had received it. An hour later, I received an email stating a console had been sent out. Two days later, it arrived...broken faceplate and all.

Everything is done via 3 Day select with the exception of returning the refurb console back to you. This was done ground, which means the further away from McAllen you are...the longer it takes to arrive.

Two weeks ago today I placed my request for a coffin. Got the coffin last Thursday. Sent it out Friday (6 days ago). Still waiting on word that they received it. I'm being a little extra patient than normal because they switched to a year warranty and are no doubt swamped.

Just tell them what the problem is, and they might go through a few superficial steps to try and fix them, but if you have the 3 flashing red lights, I don't think there's much they can do except get it shipped in.

I called them up and they asked if I had registered it already, and I hadn't, which wasn't a problem anyway. They asked for the serial number and then said they would fix or replace it but I had to shoulder the shipping charges. I told them that I heard they sent out boxes for the 2005 consoles. The guy checked with his supervisor and they said they could send out a shipping box afterall. So you might have to argue a bit.

Then when I called them to send back the broken refurb they sent me I gave them the serial number and they said they can't send out a shipping box because it was manufactured in April 2006 or something. So I had to explain to them that this was the broken piece of crap they sent to replace my 2005 launch 360. And now 8 weeks later, I don't have a shipping box, but at least I won't have to pay for it when (if) it does get here. If I'd known it would take 8 weeks I would have paid the $10 to ship it to them.

The shipping box has a paper with pictures on how to send it. Don't send in the cables or hard drive or anything else unless they specifically ask for it.

You can call up and ask for a tracking number a few days after the phone call. If you give them an email address, they might even be able to email it to you, as terribledeli said.

Got back my (different) 360 tonight.. has a manufacture date of 5-1-06, which is around the same as my old one. It's got a Samsung drive.. used to have a bad Hitachi. Cosmetically in nice shape, runs just as quiet as my old one.. hasn't crashed in the same spots my other 360 did.. so far so good!

I probably need to play it a couple hours to make sure nothing happens, but I'm feeling pretty good about it. :)

so they send you back refurbs huh? you can tell they are deff not new?

and i coulda sworn i saw scorch online on vegas on of these days

[quote name='guyver2077']so they send you back refurbs huh? you can tell they are deff not new?

and i coulda sworn i saw scorch online on vegas on of these days[/quote]Yup, they seem to be sending out refurbs now. It's just a matter of luck whether yours resembles one or not. Just hope the previous owner was good to it.

The first replacement was actually a brand new systerm, but was an 05 build date. The second one I still have is a refurb, but it was in excellent condition. I should post the previous one's serials to see if another CAG ends up with my old system.

[quote name='guyver2077']and i coulda sworn i saw scorch online on vegas on of these days[/quote]

You did.. I take my hard drive and games and mooch off of other people's 360's. I'm not kidding.

[quote name='Scorch']You did.. I take my hard drive and games and mooch off of other people's 360's. I'm not kidding.[/quote]

lmao.. now thats hardcore

[quote name='guyver2077']so they send you back refurbs huh? you can tell they are deff not new?[/QUOTE]

I could, but thats because the included faceplate was completely broken.

ok.. so my system has a feb 06 man. date.. and i bought it march 06...

is my warranty counted from the day i registered it? or when it was man.?

is it only free shipping if you have an 05 machine?

Free box/shipping really just depends on who you get on the phone. I think they're suppose to offer this to everyone, but some of the reps might give you a hard time about it.

I don't really have a problem with this unit being a refurb. It looks like it had some light use but was well taken care of, which is fine by me.

No email updates whatsoever but apparently my console was received and repaired on the tenth and will be back to me on Tuesday the 16th

So what did you guys use as an excuse to get straight to the point..

i was just thinking of telling them that my dvd drive makes strangely loud noises every time i turn on the machine and system freezes every now and then

[quote name='guyver2077']So what did you guys use as an excuse to get straight to the point..

i was just thinking of telling them that my dvd drive makes strangely loud noises every time i turn on the machine and system freezes every now and then[/QUOTE]

I just told that I was receiving E 74 with one red light. She checked their database, couldn't find anything about it (Why Microsoft's database doesn't have some error messages, no idea). I then told her that I've already done all the one red light fixes and nothing worked. And that was it.

I got my coffin last night and immediately drove to the UPS store and dropped off my 360. Hopefully I get it back late next week.

I drove to Best Buy and got my system exchanged.

I had to argue for a while to keep my hard drive though. They were trying to convince me that the Hard Drive is linked to the Serial number on the 360, and that nothing would load if I put it on a new 360.

In as pleasent a way as possible I told them I don't mean to cause trouble, but that's simply not true. I feel kind of bad because the customer service lady was really freindly and really helpful, and I must have caused her a bit of headache.

So I called up and asked for the manager, and told him that she did a fantastic job helping me.

But now my Hard Drive doesn't match the trim on the top of the console.

But it was all worth it to keep my Oblivion save (and some of the limited-time DLC on it).

Ouch, looks like my DVD drive has bitten the dust. I've tried 360 games, Xbox games, DVDs, DVD-Rs, CDs in both vertical and horizontal orientations and all I get is an 'unreadable disc' message on the blade.

Shitty situation because I've had it since June and even though it gets 20-30 hours of use a week I've never once gotten any errors or red lights beforehand. Hell, I can still login to live and play all the demos saved on my drive and my XBLA games.

Keeping in mind that the only problem is the DVD drive not reading games, do you guys think I'll still get a refurb or might they actually work on it and swap out the drive with a new one? Anyone have personal experience with that? I wouldn't give a shit if I just got a refurb except that I've got 4 different profiles on my 360, each with their own gold Live account, and we all share our purchased content(XBLA games, gamer pictures, game content).

Thanks.

My system froze yesterday while my friend was playing Splinter Cell on my 360.

Again today when i was playing FEAR and once more when i was playing smackdown....is mine going to die soon?

fuck i wanted to do this but im waiting to play lost planet...

so does the 1 year warranty apply to the man. date or whenever you registered it?

I'm about to go mail mines. They spelled my last name and street address wrong on the shipping label. God i hate outsourcing.

Spelled my last name wrong too.

Got mine back today. Not the same system. It's actually an older system, manufacture date of Jan. '06.. methinks this is before they had the drive problem that so many of us are having. It was a brand new system though, never played before.. shipped it to me in a sealed system bag.. everything's working great so far..

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back