Official Folklore Thread - OUT NOW - (1/11 - Add-on Pack 3 & 4 Out Now - $4 each)

This game has gotten a lot of praise from the E3 crowd. Some of them are really amazed by the graphics which is expected, but I hope it still does well.

It looks like Folklore now has a release date other than just fall 2007, as GameSpot found out that it's coming in October, with an English sometime before that.

I've played through the Japanese demo a few times for each character and I love it, but I'd like to know more about the invisible, classy guy and the weird scarecrow dude that are guiding the main characters.

Why is this game not getting more hype? I enjoyed both demos (the Japanese and English) more than the Heavenly Sword demo and the Warhawk beta, and Lair seems to be getting mediocre reviews all around. I think THIS is the game PS3 owners should watch for this year. I know it's my most anticipated PS3 game.

As for the Folklore demo, playing as Ellen was mostly the same, but story/town elements were removed and replaced with more battles. I died on the last boss, but I figured it out. Definitely great though.

As for Keets(sp), his level was completely different from the Japanese demo. Not sure if I liked the way the motion controls worked for his part, but everything else was fine.

After playing the English demo, my anticipation for the game doubled. I already really wanted it, but I want this game even more now.
[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Why is this game not getting more hype? I enjoyed both demos (the Japanese and English) more than the Heavenly Sword demo and the Warhawk beta, and Lair seems to be getting mediocre reviews all around. I think THIS is the game PS3 owners should watch for this year. I know it's my most anticipated PS3 game.[/QUOTE]
Although we may argue a lot, I agree. I think Folklore is the most interesting, which is why I really want it (not as much as Ratchet though). I never tried Warhawk though. I liked Heavenly Sword a lot, but Folklore is just more interesting IMO.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Why is this game not getting more hype? I enjoyed both demos (the Japanese and English) more than the Heavenly Sword demo and the Warhawk beta, and Lair seems to be getting mediocre reviews all around. I think THIS is the game PS3 owners should watch for this year. I know it's my most anticipated PS3 game.[/quote]

Why kind of hype are you looking for because I've seen people all over the gaming blogs drooling as they wait for this.

[quote name='NamPaehc']Why kind of hype are you looking for because I've seen people all over the gaming blogs drooling as they wait for this.[/quote]
Though it's getting hype as the "best RPG you've never heard of." I don't expect this to get a huge amount of hype, but it should be a fairly big deal when the game comes out in October.

Played the demo (at least Keats half) and I liked having several Folk to pick from and strategizing that way. I wish the lock-on mechanic was able to be cycled through the enemies around you, as when I fought the mini-boss, I'd keep locking-on to the nubs and not the mini-boss. I'd have to get closer than I'd like just to get a good lock-on. That final boss was cool, and having the picture boss give you clues on your enemies' weaknesses is very nice.

Is Ellen's half of the demo the same as the Japanese demo?

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Though it's getting hype as the "best RPG you've never heard of." I don't expect this to get a huge amount of hype, but it should be a fairly big deal when the game comes out in October.

Played the demo (at least Keats half) and I liked having several Folk to pick from and strategizing that way. I wish the lock-on mechanic was able to be cycled through the enemies around you, as when I fought the mini-boss, I'd keep locking-on to the nubs and not the mini-boss. I'd have to get closer than I'd like just to get a good lock-on. That final boss was cool, and having the picture boss give you clues on your enemies' weaknesses is very nice.

Is Ellen's half of the demo the same as the Japanese demo?[/quote]It's different but same world, and I liked it more than Keats.

[quote name='dallow']It's different but same world, and I liked it more than Keats.[/quote]
I'll have to give that half a go in a little bit. I like that this demo has a lot more meat to it than the Japanese demo.

This is game is really interesting, it's like Pokemon but with action, and the motion controls worked really well and the best I have seen implemented in a game yet. Game could get kind of repetative though, although I just played Keat's half. Definitaly one I am watching out for.

I just downloaded this for the hell of it and this game is awesome! I love the art direction and the Post war graphics, very very VERY cool. I love the gameplay I was expecting another time based RPG but this is great!

How are you guys liking the motion controls? People were grumbling about those before but I'd like to hear some of your thoughts on this latest version.

[quote name='NamPaehc']How are you guys liking the motion controls? People were grumbling about those before but I'd like to hear some of your thoughts on this latest version.[/quote]

I personally love them. They were very responsive and worked very well within the game, like I said in a previous post, best use of Motion control in a game yet. wrestling with the folk to get it's "id" is fun and adds a twist to the game. This is a game I might definitaly check out.

I liked the controls as well. It's also the first time that I've actually liked motion controls. You really do feel like you're yanking these souls out.

The motion stuff is nice because it's not loose like in Motorcross or Heavenly Sword. You just give it a slight lift and it works. It is a bit tedious though having to do that every time when you just got home from work and prefer to enter a vegetative state in the Lazy Boy.

I wish you could jump though, or that the right analog was a roll instead of the goofy R2 dash. I hate action games that tie you to the ground. Heavenly Sword is going to frustrate the hell out of me, especially when there's no manual block and no jump while the L2 and R2 buttons are basically wasted on a useless camera pan.

I had high hopes for Heavenly Sword but after playing the demo I was disappointed. This game on the other hand surprised me, the atmosphere is similar to Disney's Labyrinth but more violent. I just wish their was voice acting and a jump button.

Ive gotta say that so far the music is great, a trend Im starting to notice is how much more developers are putting into their sound design.
One last thing, to those others whove played both the Japanese and NA demos: Is it me or do the motion controls feel a bit tighter in the NA demo?

[quote name='zombi']Ive gotta say that so far the music is great, a trend Im starting to notice is how much more developers are putting into their sound design.
One last thing, to those others whove played both the Japanese and NA demos: Is it me or do the motion controls feel a bit tighter in the NA demo?[/quote]

Did to me, but I wasn't suprised. Also the combat felt a bit crisper and smoother. These demos weren't taken from finished games so between Japan and US/Europe release they must have tweaked and improved things.

This game really took me by surprise, I was totally unaware such an awesome game was coming out on PS3. In fact, the only reason I even bothered with the demo was because it's only on PSN store for a month, I think. All that aside, I really urge those who haven't tried this to give it a shot because it's just great.

The art to me is just really bad ass with these really surreal and psychedelic environments, it's like walking into a Salvador Dali painting. Also, I found the combat system to be really fun and can see the potential depth, mixing and matching the different folks. It's great that this isn't gonna be like some random button masher but will have some strategic aspects to it as well. I also thought it was really clever how they use the picture book to provide hints, it sort of reminds me of Alice in Wonderland.

I'm just really surprised by the sickness of this game. It's exactly what the PS3 needs right now, especially given all the criticism it's received lately.

I wasn't that excited about Foklore... but after playing it.. I definitely think its awesome. I'm so proud of the devs, and their discovery of how to use the sixaxis controller wisely... [activision did a good job using it too in marvel ulimate alliance.] Folklore, really touches on that 4th dimension.. 3d world to explore and then your direct contact w/ the game via the sixaxis.

so how do you kill that last boss with the girl? i know i have to summon the big folk but I dunno what to do after that.

the game is cool, i just don't like these types of games much =/

You throw the big spikey folk guy at him when the tentacles are doing the big vacuum thing. Took me awhile to figure it out but its pretty cool when you do, reminds me of Zelda bosses a bit.

that was actually quite fun i liked it

yea for the boss just pop out the big guy that did the spikes when he does his vacuum, then go to town with what you got on the tentacles. I thought the picture book was trying to tell me to not do that or else my folk will be sucked in and unable to attack lol.

My arms hurt.......but this game gave me good excercise!! :p
Love this game....definately going to get it when it comes out. Reminds me a little of Shadow of Colossus where you figure out how to beat the bosses.

Quite a fun demo, and it has a really cool fantasy theme going on. It's hard to believe this game is from the makers of Genji. Looking forward to it! I love

[quote name='w1r3d']so how do you kill that last boss with the girl? i know i have to summon the big folk but I dunno what to do after that.

the game is cool, i just don't like these types of games much =/[/quote]
If you check the items part of the menu, there should be a picture that has some hints on how to beat the boss. There's a page of the book around each level, so that page may be the one with the hint, though I believe one of the faeries will give you a hint, too.

[quote name='NamPaehc']How are you guys liking the motion controls? People were grumbling about those before but I'd like to hear some of your thoughts on this latest version.[/quote]
It's simple, but effective, which seems to be a rarity these days.

I guess I was not a big fan of the game....although, I rarely like RPG's, so that is a given. I thought it was just an average game....not sure how i like having to use FOLKS for EVERY attack. I just wanted to kick, jump or punch ;)

I really enjoyed the demo. I was not really impressed by the Japanese demo a few months ago, but it seems like they've put some great final touches on this.

It seems like a much more mature and refined Kameo. I guess I'm making that connection because of the fact that the main character harnesses others for their specific attacking powers.

[quote name='doubledown']not sure how i like having to use FOLKS for EVERY attack. I just wanted to kick, jump or punch ;)[/QUOTE]

But wouldn't that just make it like any other game? :)

I love it the way that it is.

oh, ok - I was doing it right, I just thought something was wrong because I must've slashed that dude for a good couple of minutes and he wouldn't die ;\

I'll replay it with Keats next =)

I downloaded this a while back, though only managed to play it for the first time last night. Very impressed with it, even though I only played part-way through with the girl.

As everyone else said, I absolutely loved the demo and will either be getting it on the cheap on release or gameflying it.

Heh, excellent I didn't realize that it was coming out so soon--- looks like October is going to be my Ps3 month for sure, Ratchet and Folklore.

The problem with the IGN review is that it kind of glosses over the fact that the game needs to be played through twice in order to complete it. You need to play though the same levels with BOTH characters in order to advance the story. We discovered this after playing about 5 1/2 hours with the male character, Keats.
This was a huge disappointment and sucked all the fun out for me.

It seems like an developer shortcut to padding the game length...I would have been happier with a 7hr game than what basically amounts to playing the game twice to finish it. I'll talk about it more on this week's CAGcast, which will be up soon.

[quote name='CheapyD']The problem with the IGN review is that it kind of glosses over the fact that the game needs to be played through twice in order to complete it. You need to play though the same levels with BOTH characters in order to advance the story. This was a huge disappointment and sucked all the fun out for me.

It seems like an developer shortcut to padding the game length...I would have been happier with a 7hr game than what basically amounts to playing the game twice to finish it. I'll talk about it more on this week's CAGcast, which will be up soon.[/quote]
Is everything exactly the same except the story? Like folks you use/fight, exact same level layout/paths? I'd assume there would at least be different objectives for each character.

The level layout seemed the same, there are some different folks, but the folklore (bosses) are the same (At least the ones i've gotten to). There really aren't any objectives in the game other than:

1) In town, talk to people and find the proper memento
2) Bring memento to henge to open portal
3) Go to realm and fight folks and defeat the folklore (boss)
4) Repeat

I was really suprised to see this IGN reviewer give it a 9. Im curious to see what the other outlets give it.
The "backtracking" problem is quite significant IMHO.

Seems like the gameplay is a bit tedious :/

How is the story then? That might make it or break it for me. Anything to keep you interested/wanting for you to find out what's gonna happen next? Characters annoying or enjoyable?

I enjoyed the combat, I just hope there's a large variety of folks to not make the combat too "linear". From the demo, I think the graphics look pretty nice, hope it holds throughout the game.

The story is pretty generic. I liked the idea of the occult magazine writer investigating mysterous events, but the story boils down to some kind of family murder mystery (i think). I don't know how it ends, but I don't really care. However, I would have liked to been able to complete the game to get some closure (and see the final boss fights).

It's pretty much your standard japanese video game story that doesn't make much sense (or generate much interest on my behalf), because:

1) something was lost in translation
2) it was goofy to begin with

I'm going with #2 here.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Uh-oh. Cheapy hates another PS3 game. :whistle2:( ;)[/quote]Actually, the problem is that I actually liked this one, until I was smacked in the face by the realization that we had to go back and replay the game from the start, in order to progress. Much like the Dead Rising save system, its one of those things I can't understand what the developer was thinking (other than padding the game length).

Uh, playing through the same stuff was both characters was already known. There have been other RPGs which have done the same basically (Threads of Fate comes to mind, and it's one of the best action RPGs IMO).
[quote name='CheapyD']The level layout seemed the same, there are some different folks, but the folklore (bosses) are the same (At least the ones i've gotten to). There really aren't any objectives in the game other than:

1) In town, talk to people and find the proper memento
2) Bring memento to henge to open portal
3) Go to realm and fight folks and defeat the folklore (boss)
4) Repeat

I was really suprised to see this IGN reviewer give it a 9. Im curious to see what the other outlets give it.
The "backtracking" problem is quite significant IMHO.[/QUOTE]Many games have backtracking. I don't see it as a big issue. I personally don't care since the majority of RPGs I love are like that. Maybe if the game was on 360, you'd like it more. ;) :p

Goofy storyline is what made the game interesting to me in the first place, since I really liked the characters in the Japanese demo I played.

Anyway, I thought the IGN review was well written and makes me want the game even more. Many said at GAF it's the favorite PS3 game along with Minna No Golf 5 this year, so I can't wait. Folklore is the type of game my PS3 needs, something completely different with awesome music and RPG type game.
[quote name='Inf^Shini']I see.

Now I'm debating picking this up :whistle2:k

I got a budget to think about :/[/QUOTE]What PS3 game has Cheapy liked?? If I were you, I'd at least wait for PS3 gamers here to post there impressions, like me.

[quote name='CheapyD']Actually, the problem is that I actually liked this one, until I was smacked in the face by the realization that we had to go back and replay the game from the start, in order to progress. Much like the Dead Rising save system, its one of those things I can't understand what the developer was thinking (other than padding the game length).[/quote]
I'm not sure what that means. You can't just play through say Keats' half of the game and then if you want more of the story, play Ellen's part?

[quote name='CheapyD']The problem with the IGN review is that it kind of glosses over the fact that the game needs to be played through twice in order to complete it. You need to play though the same levels with BOTH characters in order to advance the story. We discovered this after playing about 5 1/2 hours with the male character, Keats.
This was a huge disappointment and sucked all the fun out for me.

It seems like an developer shortcut to padding the game length...I would have been happier with a 7hr game than what basically amounts to playing the game twice to finish it. I'll talk about it more on this week's CAGcast, which will be up soon.[/QUOTE]

Well you definitely made a good point because having to play through the same game with different characters is what kinda put a damper on the demo for me as well. If the game was 7 hours you'd call it a rental along with everyone else.

[quote name='Thomas96']Well you definitely made a good point because having to play through the same game with different characters is what kinda put a damper on the demo for me as well. If the game was 7 hours you'd call it a rental along with everyone else.[/QUOTE]But then again, how many people replay an RPG with the same characters a 2nd time?? There are many who do that. I consider this like Threads of Fate, Star Ocean 2, Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness, and many other games where there are two story paths that are mostly similar (except for a few different story elements). I don't have a problem with it. Threads of Fate took 7.5 hours each per character, and that's one of the best RPGs IMO.

This is made by the same team behind Brave Story on PSP (at Game Republic, not the Genji team). They've proven to make the best PSP RPG (until Crisis Core came out), and I doubt they'll let me down again.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Folklore is the type of game my PS3 needs, something completely different with awesome music and RPG type game.
What PS3 game has Cheapy liked?? If I were you, I'd at least wait for PS3 gamers here to post there impressions, like me.[/quote]WTF is a PS3 gamer? I have a PS3 and I'm a gamer. I've liked Warhawk and Railfan and thought Resistance was good too. I've also said nice things about Genji and Ninja Gaiden Sigma.

Maybe I shouldn't have used the word backtracking...this is playing through what amounts to basically the same game twice to proceed through the story.

Also, there aren't really any RPG elements in the game, other than your health bar gets bigger when you kill more stuff. In fact, on the back of the box, it reads "Genre: Action/Adventure".

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I'm not sure what that means. You can't just play through say Keats' half of the game and then if you want more of the story, play Ellen's part?[/quote]No, if you want to finish the game, you need to complete the first 5 realms with both characters, which will take about 6 hours per character. As far as I can tell, the realms are the same, with some different folks thrown in.

[quote name='Thomas96']Well you definitely made a good point because having to play through the same game with different characters is what kinda put a damper on the demo for me as well. If the game was 7 hours you'd call it a rental along with everyone else.[/quote]Yeah, I think it would have been a stronger game if it was only 7 hours and they didn't require the 2x playthrough.

[quote name='CheapyD']No, if you want to finish the game, you need to complete the first 5 realms with both characters, which will take about 6 hours per character. As far as I can tell, the realms are the same, with some different folks thrown in.[/quote]
Interesting. I'll have to check it out for myself next week.

bread's done
Back