Official Hollywood Video Deals Thread II - All Stores CLOSING!

super_dawn

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Thank you for stopping by the Official CAG Hollywood Video Deals Thread!

"Thank you to Thekrakrabbit for originally starting the HWV Deals Thread and for passing the torch onto me."

(updated 5/4/10)

RECENT NEWS: MG/HWV files for Chap. 11 Bankruptcy for the 2nd time! ALL STORES CLOSING!

http://www.richmondbizsense.com/2010/05/03/movie-gallerys-closing-act/
http://www.globest.com/news/1653_1653/portland/184780-1.html
http://www.homemediamagazine.com/movie-gallery/movie-gallery-shutting-down-all-stores-19261
http://www.myce.com/news/hollywood-video-finally-closing-its-doors-29290/

Please search the store locator for stores in your area that will be closing! Thank you.
http://hollywoodvideo.com/storelocator.aspx

If you have a problem with anything related to Hollywood Video/Movie Gallery/Game Crazy,
call 1-8SpeakToUs (1-877-325-8687).

Most Asked Question...WHEN PRICES DROP?

All stores vary when prices will drop because it depends on how well the inventory is selling. If selling fairly well the store could possibly stay open longer, if not, the store may close down earlier preventing any further discounts from happening. From what I've noticed most price drops happen once a week (days vary) and then the last two weeks they drop much quicker...every 3 days or so. Hope this info helps!

CURRENT LIQUIDATION GAME SALE INFO

The first 800 HWV store closings have finished and all stores are beginning the process over again. You will need to check in with your area store periodically about current discounts because each store is different. Current Speculation is that all stores will be closed within 10 weeks...so by July.

I do not have a master list of prices unfortunately. Most stores have gone through and price stickered the older games. There is a possibility of the newer games being price stickered as well, but until then, you will have to inquire about the price with the employee. Most prices for the newer games in the computer range between $30-$50 and then take whatever their current discount is off that price.

ALL other Deals at HWV Closing stores:

These discounts below are taken from my store's last week of closing. Just to give anyone an idea as to how low your store may go.

80% off Used DVDs higher than $14.99
80% off Used Rental Blu-Ray (range from $2-$5!)
80% off all Used Games including transferred Game Vault games
80% off all New Games
80% off Novelties (Toys, posters, game guides, board games)
80% off New DVDs
80% off New Blu-Ray
80% off Candy, Snack, & Drinks
80% off Accessories
80% off Hardware

$1.99 each Used New Release Rentals
.99 cents Core Collection DVD rentals or 6 for $5
$1.98 Core Collection Blu-Ray rentals
$1.99 Used DVDs priced $14.99
.99 Used DVDs priced $12.99
.99 Used DVDs priced $9.99
.99 Used DVDs priced $5.99

Used Games listed Under $29.99 in computer (YMMV)

:360:
50 Cent Blood on the Sand
Ace Combat 6
Afro Samurai
Alone In the Dark
Army of Two
Assassin's Creed
Beautiful Katamari
Bigs 2
Bionic Commando
BioShock
Blitz the League II
Burnout Paradise
Cabela's Dangerous Hunts
Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare
Clive Barker's Jericho
Condemned 2: Bloodshot
Damnation
The Darkness
Dead Rising
Destroy All Humans Path of Furon
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Fable II
Fantastic 4 Rise of the Silver Surfer
Fallout 3
Far Cry II
Fight Night Round 4
Ghostbusters
Gears of War 2
GTA 4
Guitar Hero 2
Guitar Hero World Tour
Halo 3
Halo Wars
HAWX
Infinite Undiscovery
The Last Remnant
L4D
Lego Star Wars: Complete Saga
Mirror's Edge
Mortal Kombat vs DC
Ninja Blade
Ninja Gaiden
Overlord
Phantasy Star Universe
Prince of Persia
Prototype
Red Faction: Guerrilla
Resident Evil 5
Sacred 2: Fallen Angel
Saints Row 2
Shaun White Snowboarding
Silent Hill Homecoming
Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection
Street Fighter 4
Tenchu Z
Terminator Salvation
Tetris Evolution
Timeshift
Tomb Raider Underworld
Too Human
Velvet Assassin
Vesperia
Vikings
Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise
Wanted
WWE Legends of Wrestlemania

:ps3:
Assassin's Creed
Bad Company
Bigs 2
Bionic Commando
BioShock
Blitz the League II
Burnout Paradise
Call of Juarez
Chronicles of Riddick
Civilization Revolution
Clive Barker's Jericho
Condemned 2: Bloodshot
Dead Space
Destroy all Humans
Eternal Sonata
Fantastic 4 Rise of the Silver Surfer
Fallout 3
Far Cry II
Fuel
Ghostbusters
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue
Grid
GTA 4
GT5 Prologue
Heavenly Sword
Hot Shots Golf out of bounds
Lord of the Rings Conquest
Metal Gear Solid 4
Midnight Club: LA
MLB 09 The Show
Mortal Kombat V DC
Need For Speed Carbon
Need For Speed Underground
Overlord
Pure
Ratchet & Clank Tools of the Future
Resident Evil 5
Resistance 2
Rock Band 2
Saints Row 2
Silent Hill Homecoming
Ski Doo Snowmobile Challenge
Sonic Unleashed
Soul Calibur 4
Star Wars: Force Unleashed
Street Fighter IV
Timeshift
Trivia Pursuit
Uncharted
Up
Virtua Tennis 3
Wanted

:wii:

Alone In the Dark

Big Brain Academy
Big League Sports
Bigs 2
Boom Blox I & II
Carnival Games
Conduit
Deadly Creatures
Dead Rising Chop
De Blob
Donkey Kong Barrel
Elebits
Family Feud
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time
Food Network
Ghostbusters
Ghost Squad
Guitar Hero World Tour
Harvest Moon: Tree of Tranquility
Indiana Jones (priced $12.99)
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Metroid Prime 3
Mario & Sonic Olympic Games
Mario Strikers Charged
Mario Power Tennis
Metal Slug Anthology
Mini Ninjas
Monkey King (Already $4.99)
My Sims Kingdom
Need For Speed: Proshift
Overlord
Press Your Luck
Price is Right I & II
Punch Out
Rayman Raving Rabbids TV Party
Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles
Sonic Black Knight
Soul Calibur Legends
Spongebob Truth or Square
Star Wars Light Saber Duels
Stars Wars The Clone Wars
Stars Wars The Complete Saga
Super Paper Mario
Tales of Symphonia
Up
WarHawk
Wario Land Shake It
WarioWare Smooth Moves
Wii Music
Zack & Wiki ($9.99)

:ds:
Advance Wars Days of Ruin
Animal Crossing Wild World
Call of Duty
Castlevania Dawn of Sorrrow
Digimon Wold Dawn
GTA China Town Wars
Harvest Moon
Kingdom Hearts 385/2 Days
Kirby Super Star Ultra
Lego Batman
Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass
Mario Kart
New Super Mario Bros
Nintendogs Dalmation, Lab, etc
Phoenix Wright
Pokemon Diamond
Pokemon Pearl
Pokemon Platinum
Professsor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Scribblenauts
Rhythm Heaven
Yoshi's Island

:psp:

Class of Heroes
Dissidia-Final Fantasy
FiFa Soccer '10
God of War
Motor Storm Arctic Edge
Patapon
Resistance
Sims 2
Star Wars Battlefront 2
Star Wars Force Unleashed

Hollywood Video Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a Hollywood Video Rental account in order to take advantage of any trades
- You must sign up for a new Hollywood Video account at every store you wish to trade at (Each store is separate)
- Employees cannot access your trading/purchase history from store to store
- You may get a price quote print out before you decide to trade-in any games
- Trade-in credit can be placed onto your Hollywood Video account or onto a giftcard (Only in $5 increments)
- Trade-in credit can only be used on the account it is placed unless you take the giftcard option in which you may use it at any Hollywood Video/Game Crazy/Movie Gallery location

Any Forum Trades; please visit http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230651

Special Ordering Used or New Video Games

Beginning December 14th, ALL Hollywood Video stores will have the ability to place New & Used GAME Special Orders. Customers who cannot find games or accessories can place a Special Order and have it shipped from any Game Crazy/Game Zone store to their Hollywood Video for pick-up.

* Shipping Fee is $6.00 (Possibly per game if being shipped from different locations)
* Most Special Orders arrive within 7 days of ordering
* Outlet Stores do not participate in Special Orders, so YMMV on all stores.

Special Orders include:

Strategy Guides
New & Used Controllers
New & Used Games
New & Used cables, cords, and accessories
Toys & Figures

There is a list of product either on a waiting list or permanently out of stock; I may include this at a later point when I have more time. It's quite long.

Important notes (please read these before posting questions):

1) 99% of these deals will NOT work in a Game Crazy. They have their own deals; please refer to http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234882 These deals will also more than likely NOT work at a Hollywood Video with a Game Crazy attached! However, Movie Gallery may or may not have some of these same Game deals! "Movie Gallery bought Hollywood Video", hence the reason for some of the same sales at either HWV or MG.

2) Hollywood Video employees will need to scan a coupon code in order for any game to be discounted.

3) Hollywood Video's store hours vary from location to location, especially with all the store closings. Please call.

4) If you would like to contribute to any game deals, please when posting, include game, system, price, city and state.
For example:
Dragon Quest VIII, PS2, $4.99
Tampa, FL (Temple Terrace)

5) Hollywood Video's are mostly movie rental stores (games are not as important to them to keep up on), thus, always double check on sticker prices because 50% of the time they are probably stickered wrong. ;)

6) Do not trust the store locator at HollywoodVideo.com Google it and call first. That store might already be closed!

7) Hollywood Video does not do cash back if a game is damaged or you "already own it". Used games have a 90 day guarantee. You have a few options: swap for same title, swap for a different title if they do not have it, or using the disc buffer machine to try and fix the game. Hollywood Video also does disc buffing for personal items at a $1 per disc.

8) ALL sales are FINAL during the closing sale. Usually within the first few weeks of the sale if you do purchase something that does not work they MAY swap it for you. YMMV!!!

Previous HWV Thread

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235408

***I appreciate any and all comments/suggestions/adds to the OP! Either post here or even PM me if you'd like.
Thank you and I hope everyone finds some excellent deals!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='FFWRX']Really?! Here in Middle TN all of the BBV have had the 50% off used (games and movies) sale for every holiday, but it is usually on the weekend of the holiday. Maybe it is a district thing.[/QUOTE]

Are you sure they aren't franchise stores? Corporate stores don't do that - or at least none of the ones I've ever been to or anyone else in the BBV thread has been to (covering much of the country). Some of the franchisees cover pretty big areas, though, so it may seem widespread. I think I've seen that 50% off thing mentioned before and it was determined they were franchise stores.

All the stores in middle TN are franchise owned, i think the closest corporate store is in Memphis. He's right though, they all do 50% off on holidays around here.

I went to the Streamwood, IL location. the employee said alot of the IL ones closed so idk about any others. I will be checking the Lake in the hills area HWV.

[quote name='FFWRX']Really?! Here in Middle TN all of the BBV have had the 50% off used (games and movies) sale for every holiday, but it is usually on the weekend of the holiday. Maybe it is a district thing.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, every one I've talked to said they had it last year, and would most likely be having it again this year- though one cleverly referred to it as a B1G1 on same-priced games. :p

Also, any Middle Tennesseeans having luck with this? I called every Movie Gallery within a 50 mile radius, and they all say they have a bunch of PS2 games, a few Xbox and Gamecube games, and no Wii/360/PS3 games. :/

Southfield, MI store: Hit it last night. They had 2x Fallout 3 (360), 1x DC vs MK (360) and little else. I did score a mint copy of Fallout 3 (PS3) for a friend, passed on the rest. I figured a Fallout 3 flip wouldn't net much after its recent price drop in the wake of the GOTY version. I had them price scan UFC, Killzone 2 and CoD: WaW - all still in the $30+ range.

[quote name='Jackie Chandler']Yeah, every one I've talked to said they had it last year, and would most likely be having it again this year- though one cleverly referred to it as a B1G1 on same-priced games. :p

Also, any Middle Tennesseeans having luck with this? I called every Movie Gallery within a 50 mile radius, and they all say they have a bunch of PS2 games, a few Xbox and Gamecube games, and no Wii/360/PS3 games. :/[/QUOTE]
The BBV thing is going on right now. I stopped by the one in Madison at lunch, but they didnt have anything I wanted.

Went to the Elk River, MN HWV and picked up Fallout 3 (PS3), Resistance 2 (PS3), Saints Row 2 (PS3), and Zelda: Twilight Princess (GC). Still were a couple of Saint's Row 2's and Resistance 2's sitting around.

Trying last ditch efforts to get HWV managers to transfer from GC. The HWV managers are total dicks about it, but the GC I called said they would do it with no problem if a manager requests. I didn't and won't try it, but I swear you could call up a GC and order a transfer to a HWV if you know the HWV store number.

I went to the Herriman, UT store and picked up DC vs. MK and Far Cry 2. They had a lot of XBOX 360 games, some PS3 games, and some Wii games. I didn't pay attention to the PS3 and Wii games because I was more interested in the XBOX 360 games. I was also looking for Ghostbusters but they didn't have that one. Avoid the Draper, UT store. I went there also and all of the game cases that were out were missing their games (likely stolen).

does anyone know how they go about restocking titles for these 5 dollar sale?
are they shipped in or taken from existing store stock?

I'm in Huntington Beach... I called the stores around here and they don't seem to have this deal. I mean they only have xbox and PS2 games for $4.99 .

So when I walk in a HV and grab any game under $29.99? Do I just mention the code to the cashier and the price would drop to $5? Thanks!

If only I saw this earlier... most people bought everything I want yesterday...

Just mention the promotion to them. Say something about games sold for 29.99 is sold for 4.99. They know about it.

[quote name='LackeyZero']If only I saw this earlier... most people bought everything I want yesterday...

Just mention the promotion to them. Say something about games sold for 29.99 is sold for 4.99. They know about it.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I'll swing by my local HV, see if they still have games that I want.

[quote name='smashingradioheads']Im curious, do the HWs that had a gamecrazy attached but dont anymore count in this sale?[/QUOTE]

You have to know the secret handshake, sorry, short of doing a YouTube video I can't explain it to you.

My experience thus far is no, either they don't sell video games or they are clearancing out the old GC supply @ 80% -- however no valuable titles and no $4.99 deal.

[quote name='ndvtmakulit']So when I walk in a HV and grab any game under $29.99? Do I just mention the code to the cashier and the price would drop to $5? Thanks![/QUOTE]

:roll::roll::roll::roll: Cheapy really needs to invest in some sort of function on CAG that allows key points from the OP of threads to be posted at the top of each page of a thread(as set down by individual user settings)for those lazy asses who can't READ THE FIRST fuckIN' POST!!!

tl;dr version of deal info:

It works on USED games $29.99 and UNDER, the sale doesn't work at Hollywood Video stores with a Gamecrazy attached and you're welcome.

If anyone feels like reposting the above statement once a page for all of the people who are too lazy to read the OP, feel free to do so.

Started off yesterday by driving to the nearest HWV store and found out that they had just closed down, half of the display racks inside still had DVDs on them. Drove to another store and picked up Dead Space, Resident Evil 5, and Tomb Raider Anniversary (Disc Only) for $16 something after tax. Tried to go to another store after that but it was abandoned loooooong ago.

some cheapassgamer already horded my hollywood video, nothing but old sports games, NBA 2k6, Madden 07, and a bunch of really old ps2 games

I picked up MK vs DC, Devil May Cry 4, and Mass Effect for 360. About to hit the only remaining HWV and see what is left. Thanks to the OP for posting this :)

Hit up three stores but apparently one had closed some time back. Otherwise nothing at all. Same ole' crap from last time this sale took place. Nothing new in terms of this gen at all. Kind of expected this to happen.

[quote name='FFWRX']The BBV thing is going on right now. I stopped by the one in Madison at lunch, but they didnt have anything I wanted.[/QUOTE]
You ever notice them getting rid of any used blu rays? They don't seem to get many in, so it's rare that i ever see any used ones for sale. I'm going to check the Hendersonvillle store in a bit, i know the Madison store you're talking about, used to go there all the time.

Thanks all for the movie gallery tip

The MG right by my job, and the one across the street from home had jack sh$$ for games, I am talking 7 year old grade F games, and less than 10 at that. However, I went to a different MG several miles from my house and JACKPOT!!

GTA China wars DS
Overlord for PS3
DBZ infinite worlds PS2
Oblivion Expansion pack PS3

I also got some Gamecube games for the kid, since I got her a Wii for Christmas

Spongebob something something
Spongebob bikini something
Spongebob plankton something
Sonic Mega collection
Mario strikers

Woooooooo! I was FLOORED that this place actually had stock, even a day after the sale started, with the sign in plain view. I think some people probably thought they were rentals.

[quote name='io']Are you sure they aren't franchise stores? Corporate stores don't do that - or at least none of the ones I've ever been to or anyone else in the BBV thread has been to (covering much of the country). Some of the franchisees cover pretty big areas, though, so it may seem widespread. I think I've seen that 50% off thing mentioned before and it was determined they were franchise stores.[/QUOTE]

Maybe "50% off" is really B1G1 free?

Got out to 5 today. Passed on Fallout 3, Oblivion, and NFS: MW, grabbed

Army of Two:ps3:
Street Fighter IV:360:
Guilty Gear 2 Overture:360:
Velvet Assassin:ps3:
WWE Smackdown! vs Raw 2009:360:
GTA IV:ps3:
Ninja Gaiden II:360:

Ninja Gaiden was the only one in a normal case with a manual. The rest were in some weird clear superslim case with the artwork slid into it and distorted.

Oh well. Anybody know the best place to get cases? I need some for other games in my collection too.

I i remember when i said something about the games and dvds in hollywood video and that inspired you. SO YOUR WELCOME YOU GUYS! =)

Went to two HWV's in my area, the first had no signage of the sale, but had a crappy selection anyway, so I wouldn't have bought anything. The 2nd had the signage up but the only newer current gen game available was DMC4... Basically it was the leftover stock they had from the Black Friday sale.

Super Dawn you rock

As soon as i get to Sanford Im go buyin crazy if they have the games i want.
and hopefully my gift card will work thats like 6 games

Well, back from my trip to a couple of further out HWVs. A successful trip all and all. Here is the haul:
Saints Row 2 (HWV case w/ manual
GTAIV (HWV case, no manual)
:360:(All of these complete)
Fallout 3
Saints Row 2
Rock Band Classic Rock Track Pack
Afro Samurai
:wii:(all complete)
SW Lightsaber Duels
DK Barrel Blast
:ps2:
X-Men Origins Wolverine (complete)
Transformers: ROTF (complete)
Ghostbusters (complete)
Futurama (disc only, HWV case)
:gc:
Mario Golf (disc only)
LoZ: TP (complete, perfect condition, no scratches)

Very pleased with my haul all together. Missed a complete LoZ on BF and was very happy to find one today. Wish Futurama was complete, but it is rare and I have been wanting to try it out. Looks like I need to set up my PS2 again.

I did well I think

Skate 2
Fallout 3
Prototype
Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe

edit: Oh yeah. All complete with case and instruction.

[quote name='ackbar7']Wish Futurama was complete, but it is rare and I have been wanting to try it out. Looks like I need to set up my PS2 again.[/QUOTE]

Futurama is a fun, fun game with all of the humor of the show packed into the video game. If you're a fan of the series, you'll love the game then.:D

Picked up fallout 3 :ps3: for $5.

It was labeled as 39.99, but when I walked up and asked to check the price, they said $5 without even looking. So don't be discouraged if it is above the $29.99 listing.

They also said they were expecting another shipment before the end of the sale, but could not say what day.

I hit up a couple HWV, and this was the only thing I could find. But they all seem to have way more XB360 stuff than PS3, so I am not too upset. Lame that GameCrazy is not having the same sale. Same company, right?

This was in Graham, Washington (by Fred Meyer, south of Puyallup).

Belgarath the Ancient One

Well i forgot my hollywood video was one which closed it's gamecrazy, so while they had a ton of games left from the liquidation, they were all crap by now. I did score Saint's Row 2 used from BBV for about $12.50 though.

[quote name='BelgarathTAO']They also said they were expecting another shipment before the end of the sale, but could not say what day.[/QUOTE]
During the summer sale the manager of the store near me which is now closed used to always tell me this. "Probably getting a shipment in the next day or 2." This never happened, ever. I think they say that just to get you to come back in. One should always be hopeful, and you never know, certainly worth checking again, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
And good to see another WA CAG, I'm just glad you are a little south of me.

[quote name='phoenix529']Damn. Fallout 3, LoZ: TP and Super Smash Brawl were all marked too high. Didn't think about asking.[/QUOTE]
Fallout and LoZ are both 29.99, Smash Bros. is 34.99 though. Also had Mario Party 8 and Fire Emblem (Wii) checked. Those were 34.99 as well.

Went to the only other one in the area and grabbed Metal Slug Anthology and Trauma Center: Second Opinion Wii. Both were in the black rental cases and missing manuals but the cashier grabbed TC from the rental section and gave me it's manual. The MSA rental didn't have a manual or else she would have given me that too. Seemed to be a day late for some of the better stuff.

This is what I got at one HWV today:

Fallout 3
Ghostbusters
Grand Theft Auto IV
Metal Gear Solid 4
MLB 09: The Show
Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe
Rachet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction
Resistance 2
Street Fighter IV
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune

:wii:
Wii Music

Resident Evil 5

:ps2:
.Hack Outbreak: Part 3

Someone walked out with a stack of Wii games right as I walked in. A definite gold mine. I would have liked to have found RE5 and F.E.A.R. 2 for :ps3:, but an awesome haul, to say the least.

bread's done
Back