Official Hollywood Video Deals Thread II - All Stores CLOSING!

super_dawn

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Thank you for stopping by the Official CAG Hollywood Video Deals Thread!

"Thank you to Thekrakrabbit for originally starting the HWV Deals Thread and for passing the torch onto me."

(updated 5/4/10)

RECENT NEWS: MG/HWV files for Chap. 11 Bankruptcy for the 2nd time! ALL STORES CLOSING!

http://www.richmondbizsense.com/2010/05/03/movie-gallerys-closing-act/
http://www.globest.com/news/1653_1653/portland/184780-1.html
http://www.homemediamagazine.com/movie-gallery/movie-gallery-shutting-down-all-stores-19261
http://www.myce.com/news/hollywood-video-finally-closing-its-doors-29290/

Please search the store locator for stores in your area that will be closing! Thank you.
http://hollywoodvideo.com/storelocator.aspx

If you have a problem with anything related to Hollywood Video/Movie Gallery/Game Crazy,
call 1-8SpeakToUs (1-877-325-8687).

Most Asked Question...WHEN PRICES DROP?

All stores vary when prices will drop because it depends on how well the inventory is selling. If selling fairly well the store could possibly stay open longer, if not, the store may close down earlier preventing any further discounts from happening. From what I've noticed most price drops happen once a week (days vary) and then the last two weeks they drop much quicker...every 3 days or so. Hope this info helps!

CURRENT LIQUIDATION GAME SALE INFO

The first 800 HWV store closings have finished and all stores are beginning the process over again. You will need to check in with your area store periodically about current discounts because each store is different. Current Speculation is that all stores will be closed within 10 weeks...so by July.

I do not have a master list of prices unfortunately. Most stores have gone through and price stickered the older games. There is a possibility of the newer games being price stickered as well, but until then, you will have to inquire about the price with the employee. Most prices for the newer games in the computer range between $30-$50 and then take whatever their current discount is off that price.

ALL other Deals at HWV Closing stores:

These discounts below are taken from my store's last week of closing. Just to give anyone an idea as to how low your store may go.

80% off Used DVDs higher than $14.99
80% off Used Rental Blu-Ray (range from $2-$5!)
80% off all Used Games including transferred Game Vault games
80% off all New Games
80% off Novelties (Toys, posters, game guides, board games)
80% off New DVDs
80% off New Blu-Ray
80% off Candy, Snack, & Drinks
80% off Accessories
80% off Hardware

$1.99 each Used New Release Rentals
.99 cents Core Collection DVD rentals or 6 for $5
$1.98 Core Collection Blu-Ray rentals
$1.99 Used DVDs priced $14.99
.99 Used DVDs priced $12.99
.99 Used DVDs priced $9.99
.99 Used DVDs priced $5.99

Used Games listed Under $29.99 in computer (YMMV)

:360:
50 Cent Blood on the Sand
Ace Combat 6
Afro Samurai
Alone In the Dark
Army of Two
Assassin's Creed
Beautiful Katamari
Bigs 2
Bionic Commando
BioShock
Blitz the League II
Burnout Paradise
Cabela's Dangerous Hunts
Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare
Clive Barker's Jericho
Condemned 2: Bloodshot
Damnation
The Darkness
Dead Rising
Destroy All Humans Path of Furon
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Fable II
Fantastic 4 Rise of the Silver Surfer
Fallout 3
Far Cry II
Fight Night Round 4
Ghostbusters
Gears of War 2
GTA 4
Guitar Hero 2
Guitar Hero World Tour
Halo 3
Halo Wars
HAWX
Infinite Undiscovery
The Last Remnant
L4D
Lego Star Wars: Complete Saga
Mirror's Edge
Mortal Kombat vs DC
Ninja Blade
Ninja Gaiden
Overlord
Phantasy Star Universe
Prince of Persia
Prototype
Red Faction: Guerrilla
Resident Evil 5
Sacred 2: Fallen Angel
Saints Row 2
Shaun White Snowboarding
Silent Hill Homecoming
Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection
Street Fighter 4
Tenchu Z
Terminator Salvation
Tetris Evolution
Timeshift
Tomb Raider Underworld
Too Human
Velvet Assassin
Vesperia
Vikings
Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise
Wanted
WWE Legends of Wrestlemania

:ps3:
Assassin's Creed
Bad Company
Bigs 2
Bionic Commando
BioShock
Blitz the League II
Burnout Paradise
Call of Juarez
Chronicles of Riddick
Civilization Revolution
Clive Barker's Jericho
Condemned 2: Bloodshot
Dead Space
Destroy all Humans
Eternal Sonata
Fantastic 4 Rise of the Silver Surfer
Fallout 3
Far Cry II
Fuel
Ghostbusters
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue
Grid
GTA 4
GT5 Prologue
Heavenly Sword
Hot Shots Golf out of bounds
Lord of the Rings Conquest
Metal Gear Solid 4
Midnight Club: LA
MLB 09 The Show
Mortal Kombat V DC
Need For Speed Carbon
Need For Speed Underground
Overlord
Pure
Ratchet & Clank Tools of the Future
Resident Evil 5
Resistance 2
Rock Band 2
Saints Row 2
Silent Hill Homecoming
Ski Doo Snowmobile Challenge
Sonic Unleashed
Soul Calibur 4
Star Wars: Force Unleashed
Street Fighter IV
Timeshift
Trivia Pursuit
Uncharted
Up
Virtua Tennis 3
Wanted
WWE Legends of Wrestlemania

:wii:

Alone In the Dark

Big Brain Academy
Big League Sports
Bigs 2
Boom Blox I & II
Carnival Games
Conduit
Deadly Creatures
Dead Rising Chop
De Blob
Donkey Kong Barrel
Elebits
Family Feud
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time
Food Network
Ghostbusters
Ghost Squad
Guitar Hero World Tour
Harvest Moon: Tree of Tranquility
Indiana Jones (priced $12.99)
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Metroid Prime 3
Mario & Sonic Olympic Games
Mario Strikers Charged
Mario Power Tennis
Metal Slug Anthology
Mini Ninjas
Monkey King (Already $4.99)
My Sims Kingdom
Need For Speed: Proshift
Overlord
Press Your Luck
Price is Right I & II
Punch Out
Rayman Raving Rabbids TV Party
Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles
Sonic Black Knight
Soul Calibur Legends
Spongebob Truth or Square
Star Wars Light Saber Duels
Stars Wars The Clone Wars
Stars Wars The Complete Saga
Super Paper Mario
Tales of Symphonia
Up
WarHawk
Wario Land Shake It
WarioWare Smooth Moves
Wii Music
Zack & Wiki ($9.99)

:ds:
Advance Wars Days of Ruin
Animal Crossing Wild World
Call of Duty
Castlevania Dawn of Sorrrow
Digimon Wold Dawn
GTA China Town Wars
Harvest Moon
Kingdom Hearts 385/2 Days
Kirby Super Star Ultra
Lego Batman
Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass
Mario Kart
New Super Mario Bros
Nintendogs Dalmation, Lab, etc
Phoenix Wright
Pokemon Diamond
Pokemon Pearl
Pokemon Platinum
Professsor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Scribblenauts
Rhythm Heaven
Yoshi's Island

:psp:

Class of Heroes
Dissidia-Final Fantasy
FiFa Soccer '10
God of War
Motor Storm Arctic Edge
Patapon
Resistance
Sims 2
Star Wars Battlefront 2
Star Wars Force Unleashed

Hollywood Video Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a Hollywood Video Rental account in order to take advantage of any trades
- You must sign up for a new Hollywood Video account at every store you wish to trade at (Each store is separate)
- Employees cannot access your trading/purchase history from store to store
- You may get a price quote print out before you decide to trade-in any games
- Trade-in credit can be placed onto your Hollywood Video account or onto a giftcard (Only in $5 increments)
- Trade-in credit can only be used on the account it is placed unless you take the giftcard option in which you may use it at any Hollywood Video/Game Crazy/Movie Gallery location

Any Forum Trades; please visit http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230651

Special Ordering Used or New Video Games

Beginning December 14th, ALL Hollywood Video stores will have the ability to place New & Used GAME Special Orders. Customers who cannot find games or accessories can place a Special Order and have it shipped from any Game Crazy/Game Zone store to their Hollywood Video for pick-up.

* Shipping Fee is $6.00 (Possibly per game if being shipped from different locations)
* Most Special Orders arrive within 7 days of ordering
* Outlet Stores do not participate in Special Orders, so YMMV on all stores.

Special Orders include:

Strategy Guides
New & Used Controllers
New & Used Games
New & Used cables, cords, and accessories
Toys & Figures

There is a list of product either on a waiting list or permanently out of stock; I may include this at a later point when I have more time. It's quite long.

Important notes (please read these before posting questions):

1) 99% of these deals will NOT work in a Game Crazy. They have their own deals; please refer to http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234882 These deals will also more than likely NOT work at a Hollywood Video with a Game Crazy attached! However, Movie Gallery may or may not have some of these same Game deals! "Movie Gallery bought Hollywood Video", hence the reason for some of the same sales at either HWV or MG.

2) Hollywood Video employees will need to scan a coupon code in order for any game to be discounted.

3) Hollywood Video's store hours vary from location to location, especially with all the store closings. Please call.

4) If you would like to contribute to any game deals, please when posting, include game, system, price, city and state.
For example:
Dragon Quest VIII, PS2, $4.99
Tampa, FL (Temple Terrace)

5) Hollywood Video's are mostly movie rental stores (games are not as important to them to keep up on), thus, always double check on sticker prices because 50% of the time they are probably stickered wrong. ;)

6) Do not trust the store locator at HollywoodVideo.com Google it and call first. That store might already be closed!

7) Hollywood Video does not do cash back if a game is damaged or you "already own it". Used games have a 90 day guarantee. You have a few options: swap for same title, swap for a different title if they do not have it, or using the disc buffer machine to try and fix the game. Hollywood Video also does disc buffing for personal items at a $1 per disc.

8) ALL sales are FINAL during the closing sale. Usually within the first few weeks of the sale if you do purchase something that does not work they MAY swap it for you. YMMV!!!

Previous HWV Thread

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235408

***I appreciate any and all comments/suggestions/adds to the OP! Either post here or even PM me if you'd like.
Thank you and I hope everyone finds some excellent deals!

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe it was a retail representative iO. I remember the circuit city people telling me and others that retail guys came in and bought all of the controllers.

[quote name='bgame2']Superdawn, is MAG one of the available titles or did that get released after the liquidation was starting? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

I didn't see that game on the shelf at my store. So I assume so...

[quote name='josh62488']
There was also a fed ex that just delieved 4 boxes to the store, considering I went right when they opened...i hope I didn't buy something for 40% and then they recieve a kit to mark everything down to 60% or something...that would suck
o well[/QUOTE]

lucky! only 4? We received 31 fedex boxes to our store on Tuesday...don't worry...they weren't games. All old movies from stores that had closed already (probably the ones that closed in less than 3 days). Ugh...worst part is we have to sticker all 4000 pieces...sucks. I saw the 60% off kit...but I dunno when we'll use that. I do know some new drops happening for other stuff.

"core collection" movies will be $4.98 or 3 for $12
New releases will be $7.98 or 3 for $20

...I'm thinking this will happen tomorrow...

[quote name='Zippon']Thanks to the OP (and others) for this heads-up. Two stores nearby just went 40% off, but damn if they didn't make the experience as confusing/frustrating as possible.

One store had no prices. You had to walk the games up, and the lady had to flip through a printed price list. I asked if she could hand me list, so I could do it myself there at the counter (since she acted like it was a major imposition), but she said, "I'm sorry. You're not allowed to look at this." :roll:

Second store was outright surly and rude. Any question was met with sighs and gruff answers. They had price stickers on most stuff, and they were generally lower than the price list a the first store (for example, SFIV was $25 vs $30, before discount). They had pulled all original cases/manuals and stacked them in the corner. When I asked if I could have the ones for my games, or buy them, they said, "No, we throw those in a big bin and sell like 50 of them at once to other stores for like $20." I said I'd pay an extra $1 for just one, but they refused. Stupidity.

[/QUOTE]

Okay...first of all...these people are LOSING THEIR JOBS. I just want to make that clear. My store...same thing...we are all VERY RUDE..LOL! Of course I'm ok but the other guys I work with don't have something to fall back on. They don't care anymore...they're not going to go out of their way to help anyone anymore.

New release games will probably get priced...just like the older games did during the earlier part of closing..but for right now there are no price stickers which I think is better for cags because you could find some good deals before people snatch up games knowing what the price is outright. Yea..you might have to take the game up to the counter to get a price-quote...but hey, you might find a good steal.

I've been telling all our customers...the newest titles in the computer are priced between $40-$50 and then take 40% off of that. so $25-35 range...basically comparable to gamestop used prices...maybe a tad lower.

Sad. At my store we are rubberbanding the game case with the display box/original cover...so you can have that too. Although some non gamers are always so confused by this. ;)

I don't think my store is closing. I haven't heard anything but I haven't been inside in a while. The store locater isn't working to give more info anyway. The entire site is down.

I'd REALLY like to get a deal on some games, but I guess I'll have to swing by.

had such a bad experience

I bought Halo ODST as a gift for my friends brother the other day
I was buying a stack of games and I asked cashier to check games...he informed me the only way to get it buffed for free would be to take them hope and if they dont work out, then bring it back in

He proceeds to put all the discs in cases and puts them at the lil counter by the door...so I wasn't even able to see discs prior to buying them

I get discs home and theres a huge heat make on the back of the disc. put it in Xbox...it wont even boot up!!!

of course I talk to a manager when I go back today...I didn't have disc jsut wanted to ask...says are sales final

I refuse to pay 27 bucks for a broken disc taht wont even play...looks like now ima have to go back to store everyday until I can convince a cool employee to swap me out for other products...sicne im sure theres no way and hell im going to get my money back

[quote name='super_dawn']I didn't see that game on the shelf at my store. So I assume so...

lucky! only 4? We received 31 fedex boxes to our store on Tuesday...don't worry...they weren't games. All old movies from stores that had closed already (probably the ones that closed in less than 3 days). Ugh...worst part is we have to sticker all 4000 pieces...sucks. I saw the 60% off kit...but I dunno when we'll use that. I do know some new drops happening for other stuff.

Okay...first of all...these people are LOSING THEIR JOBS. I just want to make that clear. My store...same thing...we are all VERY RUDE..LOL! Of course I'm ok but the other guys I work with don't have something to fall back on. They don't care anymore...they're not going to go out of their way to help anyone anymore.

New release games will probably get priced...just like the older games did during the earlier part of closing..but for right now there are no price stickers which I think is better for cags because you could find some good deals before people snatch up games knowing what the price is outright. Yea..you might have to take the game up to the counter to get a price-quote...but hey, you might find a good steal.

I've been telling all our customers...the newest titles in the computer are priced between $40-$50 and then take 40% off of that. so $25-35 range...basically comparable to gamestop used prices...maybe a tad lower.

Sad. At my store we are rubberbanding the game case with the display box/original cover...so you can have that too. Although some non gamers are always so confused by this. ;)[/QUOTE]

is ur store currently 50% off? or is it 40% skip to 60?

[quote name='josh62488']had such a bad experience

I bought Halo ODST as a gift for my friends brother the other day
I was buying a stack of games and I asked cashier to check games...he informed me the only way to get it buffed for free would be to take them hope and if they dont work out, then bring it back in

He proceeds to put all the discs in cases and puts them at the lil counter by the door...so I wasn't even able to see discs prior to buying them

I get discs home and theres a huge heat make on the back of the disc. put it in Xbox...it wont even boot up!!!

of course I talk to a manager when I go back today...I didn't have disc jsut wanted to ask...says are sales final

I refuse to pay 27 bucks for a broken disc taht wont even play...looks like now ima have to go back to store everyday until I can convince a cool employee to swap me out for other products...sicne im sure theres no way and hell im going to get my money back

probably wont be buying anything from hwv

PPL BEWARE HWV IS SELLING BROKEN DISCS[/QUOTE]

No offense man, but most of that is your fault for not demanding to see the discs prior to buying them. I've bought 4-5 games at HWVs during this sell-off and both employee and I have looked at everyone.

On the subject of the non-closing stores DVD sales: At my local Movie Gallery they have signage up for the 14.99 DVDs stating they are 2 for $20, instead of the $8 each. All of the cheaper ones still have the same sale as they have for a while though.

I'm glad my 2 close stores aren't closing, but... damn it! I wish there was one more store a tad closer that was closing so I could regularly check it. :(

[quote name='josh62488']
PPL BEWARE HWV IS SELLING BROKEN DISCS[/QUOTE]

A: This happening to you at a single location does not mean this is a standard thing.

B: Just as mcthatch said, You VERY easily could have asked to inspect the discs yourself before purchasing. So you are just as much to blame as him.

[quote name='super_dawn'] I saw the 60% off kit...but I dunno when we'll use that. I do know some new drops happening for other stuff.

[/QUOTE]

you probably will use the 60% off signage right near the end...at least we are at my store. we close on sunday and all games are 60% off, core rentals are $4 each or 3/$10, new releases are $6 each or 3/$15, all used dvds are $4, blurays are $8, fixtures are half off, adult rentals are $4 each or 2/$5, adult new/used are like 60% off, and concessions are 70% off.

my store just hasn't been doing well in our closing sale, so they're shutting us down a lot sooner than other stores in my area....

but anyways, these are the discounts that everyone can look forward too...i know i've bought way too many games than i probably should have! :cool:

Got Borderlands 360 for $30 (South Dixie Hwy Louisville). Think I got hosed on Race-O-Rama ($18) for the kids but meh. . .Tried to buy Saboteur but no disc which is the second time this happened.
I want Prototype but I'm waiting till it drops to $10 somewhere, probably Gamefly before long. Anyways, they had a decent collection left and all the new rentals that didn't get boxed back are for sale.

First all the Blockbusters (with the except of the far far far away one) around here closed down, then the closest Game Crazy, which also closed the adjacent Hollywood Video (though there was never any notice for that) a few months back.

And now I find out the 2nd closest HWV's around here (Mtn. View, CA) is closing down.

Bought Turning Point and Dynasty Warriors Gundam for ~$18+tax.

So the rental prices are along the lines of actual retail prices and maybe a little less, and then 40% is taken off?

At mine they will exchange the disk for one that works, or an item of equal value.

And you really should have asked to see the disks prior to purchase.

[quote name='josh62488']
I refuse to pay 27 bucks for a broken disc taht wont even play...looks like now ima have to go back to store everyday until I can convince a cool employee to swap me out for other products...sicne im sure theres no way and hell im going to get my money back[/QUOTE]

Hollywood video's return policy has always been a bitch, and you expect it to be any better now that the stores are closing? They're gonna take that money and run..

[quote name='super_dawn']
Okay...first of all...these people are LOSING THEIR JOBS. I just want to make that clear. My store...same thing...we are all VERY RUDE..LOL! Of course I'm ok but the other guys I work with don't have something to fall back on. They don't care anymore...they're not going to go out of their way to help anyone anymore.[/QUOTE]

My reply: SO?

I feel for people in a bad situation, so I make sure to treat them with compassion and respect. And I definitely didn't pester them with a bunch of lazy or pointless questions. I asked the bare minimum and was very polite about it.

The fact that they are losing their jobs is no reason to be rude. For the time being, they are still working and should act accordingly. Their behavior shows a decided lack of character, which is pretty common with younger folks these days. For all they know, I might be a future employer. And they just burned any possible bridges with me. Their attitude is defeatist and short-sighted. And it guarantees that they will probably only aspire to future low-rung positions that leave them bitter and unfulfilled. "Not caring" seems to be a national hobby for many folks under 25. :roll:

You get out of life largely what you put into it. Food for thought. At the other stores I visited, I made a point to express my condolences for the closing and asked the clerks if they had a new job lined up.

Those sign that say something along the line of "buy now because it might be gone tomorrow" speaks the truth! lol I was holding out on punch out and like 2 other games for 50% off today and decided not to get them yesterday at around 5pm and decided that I'd get them no matter what today... well its still 40% but their both gone *sign* lose some win sum right.

Most of the good games at my store were gone. I did see Resident Evil 5 for the PS3 and Little King's Story for $14.99 each after the 40% off of $24.99.

One of my local stores just started their sale today. It was a madhouse in there, but I managed to grab a copy MLB 2k10 for $30. It was like new with original case and instructions. Another MG about 8 miles away said theirs starts tonight. I'm going to try and head on over there later on and hopefully grab one of their copies of Bad Company 2 I saw on the shelf. Both stores said that all Movie Galleries are closing.

Finally got around to checking the one closing near me and everything in the store is there, its just locked up, at around 4 pm.

Picked up a few copies at HWV with 40% off listed below, also almost had a meltdown at the store and i'm pretty sure i freaked a few of the employees out... me and a friend went up with about 6-10 ps3 games each. my friend had an employee that rang everything up and then told her told of each of the games, and was out within minutes. I got the employee that stated " i have to grab the disc and then scan for each game... its store policy" and then gave attitude saying "so you're not sure you WANT these?" to which I replied "There's no price on them, tell me the price and then I'll decide if I want them or not, i'm not just to buy products blind..." the employee then continued to attempt to "preview price the games" of which I learned the code because of how many failed attempts she had at doing it (she may have been high).... you have to Push F7 key, followed by typing in PV - PS3 and then title and you be able to lookup game, find price... she messed this up about 5-7 times locked herself out of the computer and had to have a shift leader give her access again, and the shift leader just sat there watching her struggle (bad form on his part).... i think i developed a twitch from this experience as a result of me not snapping on the girl cause of the attitude she gave me after each game repeating "so YOUR NOT SURE you want to buy this one..." >_<

PS3- Hot shots golf @ 4.80
PS3- Lost:Via Domus @ 4.80
PS3- Trivial Pursuit @ 9.00
other prices off checking
PS3- Call of Duty World at War ~21
PS3- Terminator Salvation ~8-9.00
PS3- Prototype ~21
PS3- Where Wild Things are ~15
unsure on other cause i just gaveup and walked out.....

Was able to get a few things at my closest local store another one a little farther away I stopped in while in the area and it was wiped clean with a line around the entire store of people buying stuff. My local store most of the decent stuff is gone the rest is 'not at that price shit' lol.

I picked up Little King's Story for $15 yesterday. It was a hassle to get the original case though. I went Thursday night and saw the game along with a giant stack of games on the side counter. After asking about the original case and asking about the huge stacks on the counter they said all I got was rental case. Luckily I went back yesterday, found another employee, pointed out the stack of cases and he let me look for the Little King's Story case.

Anyone know how much Punch Out is going for after the 40% off?

[quote name='Optical']I picked up Little King's Story for $15 yesterday. It was a hassle to get the original case though. I went Thursday night and saw the game along with a giant stack of games on the side counter. After asking about the original case and asking about the huge stacks on the counter they said all I got was rental case. Luckily I went back yesterday, found another employee, pointed out the stack of cases and he let me look for the Little King's Story case.

Anyone know how much Punch Out is going for after the 40% off?[/QUOTE]

hmm, it was either 24 or 20... but i had a bunch of games I scanned.

The store in Wellington, FL was filled with tons of new title games for all systems (didn't check Wii or portables though). Everything is still 40% off, nothing new there. But the selection was amazing. If I had more money and didn't have most of the games, I would have had a field day there. I ended up picking up Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena for $10.80 and Condemned 2: Bloodshot for $4.20, both for PS3. Not bad for me, I left happy. But if you are in the area, definitely check that store out.

[quote name='mightymek']The store in Wellington, FL was filled with tons of new title games for all systems (didn't check Wii or portables though). Everything is still 40% off, nothing new there. But the selection was amazing. If I had more money and didn't have most of the games, I would have had a field day there. I ended up picking up Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena for $10.80 and Condemned 2: Bloodshot for $4.20, both for PS3. Not bad for me, I left happy. But if you are in the area, definitely check that store out.[/QUOTE]

You know they had COR:AODA for $10 new from Best Buy last month with a coupon, right? I had a copy, but I couldn't bring myself to play the game. Unfortunately, I waited past the return period at BB or I would've simply returned it.

It's now on the clearance cart/shelf at many BB stores.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']You know they had COR:AODA for $10 new from Best Buy last month with a coupon, right? I had a copy, but I couldn't bring myself to play the game. Unfortunately, I waited past the return period at BB or I would've simply returned it.

It's now on the clearance cart/shelf at many BB stores.[/QUOTE]

Yea, I saw that, but I wasn't ready to buy it last month. My wife is a full time student, so we live off my income only. So I can only buy games when I beat and sell games I currently own (unless I have gift cards or something). But it's cool, the game I got is in a rental case, but it's almost mint condition and has the manual, so I am pleased.

HEADS UP

fort wayne

DUPONT CLOSED

St joe center Road CLOSING SOON everything is for sale

Anyone know if you can use the Gamecrazy gift cards ONLINE .. i got like between 50 to 70 bucks on a card left....

If anyone wants any games cheap let me know what people want... Will go out tomorrow and look and sell them at Cost + shipping (cant promiss i will find them cause who knows how long they have been closing)

I dont think they ever rented DS or psp games so i have really no use for the card *unless i can find some cheap movies)

They said they open at 10am tomorrow so i probally head over there first thing at 10

dunno if this been posted but Bridgewater,NJ closed and cleaned out. thank god i hung on to Borderlands....accidently returned it today only to know they started liquidation(didnt know this was happening).and ended up with buying Borderlands and getting Dynasty Warriors Gundam 2 for 50 bucks. Not bad....but wish i knew this earlier so i could have hit the ps3 section. i may go back for remaining blu rays. It just sucks that these workers now have to find new work..and only 800 are being left open with 300 of them in Canada.

FYI, the thing about not letting us see the discs is a liquidator rule according to an employee I spoke to tonight.

[quote name='dabamus']FYI, the thing about not letting us see the discs is a liquidator rule according to an employee I spoke to tonight.[/QUOTE]

The girl I bought my copy of MLB 2k10 from today actually took the disc out and flipped it over for me to have a good look at before she put it in the original case.

update

I actually went in and traded my Halo ODST disc out after they saw there was clearly a crack in disc

I was going to get a bunch of dvd's instead only to be told I had to get a game instead

picked up army of 2 40th day for $16 bucks (was $33 after discount but I split cost with a friend)

so if u get a bad disc at hollywood looks like ur not completely screwed...just dont expect much

[quote name='zao366']you probably will use the 60% off signage right near the end...at least we are at my store. we close on sunday and all games are 60% off, core rentals are $4 each or 3/$10, new releases are $6 each or 3/$15, all used dvds are $4, blurays are $8, fixtures are half off, adult rentals are $4 each or 2/$5, adult new/used are like 60% off, and concessions are 70% off.

my store just hasn't been doing well in our closing sale, so they're shutting us down a lot sooner than other stores in my area....

but anyways, these are the discounts that everyone can look forward too...i know i've bought way too many games than i probably should have! :cool:[/QUOTE]

wow. Thankfully my store is performing very well for this closing sale and we have had product actually shipped to our store. So we might last a bit longer...

[quote name='Zippon']My reply: SO?

I feel for people in a bad situation, so I make sure to treat them with compassion and respect. And I definitely didn't pester them with a bunch of lazy or pointless questions. I asked the bare minimum and was very polite about it.

The fact that they are losing their jobs is no reason to be rude. For the time being, they are still working and should act accordingly. Their behavior shows a decided lack of character, which is pretty common with younger folks these days. For all they know, I might be a future employer. And they just burned any possible bridges with me. Their attitude is defeatist and short-sighted. And it guarantees that they will probably only aspire to future low-rung positions that leave them bitter and unfulfilled. "Not caring" seems to be a national hobby for many folks under 25. :roll:

You get out of life largely what you put into it. Food for thought. At the other stores I visited, I made a point to express my condolences for the closing and asked the clerks if they had a new job lined up.[/QUOTE]

If you were polite and asked the bare minimum questions...then of course I totally agree with you. I'm mainly talking about all the customers who do bring up lazy lazy pointless questions. I'm not saying we shouldn't be respectful, but I'm just saying I am not going out of my way anymore for a store that's closing.

[quote name='dabamus']FYI, the thing about not letting us see the discs is a liquidator rule according to an employee I spoke to tonight.[/QUOTE]

umm..no. You have every right to see the disc before you buy. I always hand them over to look at before I ring them up.

....sorry I didn't see what and if the prices dropped today. so you may have to give a call to your local store.

The guy lied to you.

[quote name='maccabee72']The girl I bought my copy of MLB 2k10 from today actually took the disc out and flipped it over for me to have a good look at before she put it in the original case.[/QUOTE]

Same thing with me. The clerk showed me the disc when I bought Shadow Of The Colossus. It looked in good condition, so I bought it. I guess not many people rented that game.

my HWV actually has my good games left at it
I might bite at the 60% off discount

if I could find out when that is lol

I always ask the cashiers they never know...poor guys....no one is keeping them in the loop

[quote name='super_dawn']
umm..no. You have every right to see the disc before you buy. I always hand them over to look at before I ring them up.[/QUOTE]

I only bought games at the nicer of the two stores, but one gal showed me each disc before I bought it. When I returned later, to buy some more, a different guy tried to put the discs in and quickly hand them to me, but he let me see them when I asked (before I handed him my cash!).

Went to HWV yesterday to check out what was left, i asked for 360 empty cases, the manager said they threw away 500+ cases. when i let him know that people would have paid at least $1 each for those, he stood there with his mouth open. GG HWV. (the guy behind me was there to get ps3 and dvd cases too)

[quote name='josh62488']my HWV actually has my good games left at it
I might bite at the 60% off discount

if I could find out when that is lol

I always ask the cashiers they never know...poor guys....no one is keeping them in the loop[/QUOTE]

You got to ask the manager, they usually know when price changes are coming. The manager at my store is pretty cool, she usually says something like I make no promises but check back "blank".

[quote name='integralsmatic']dunno if this been posted but Bridgewater,NJ closed and cleaned out. thank god i hung on to Borderlands....accidently returned it today only to know they started liquidation(didnt know this was happening).and ended up with buying Borderlands and getting Dynasty Warriors Gundam 2 for 50 bucks. Not bad....but wish i knew this earlier so i could have hit the ps3 section. i may go back for remaining blu rays. It just sucks that these workers now have to find new work..and only 800 are being left open with 300 of them in Canada.[/QUOTE]

Wouldn't they just charge your account if you didn't returned the game/movie? And you just reminded me about the workers having to find a new job. I guess it won't hurt to tell them if they don't even know. And give them a heads up without getting any notice of the job status.

Our Game Crazy store here is closing, but no sales yet. Is that happening elsewhere?

I'm keeping an eye on it to see if they start...

To the OP:

I would like to see a recommendation in the original post for people to burn up any store credit or gift cards they may have, their store closing or not; I would not even recommend putting money down on a preorder at this time. I doubt they will value it during total liquidation. It is not worth the risk at this point.

I look at the many closings over the past six months and the general pattern of bad management and financing, and I feel that there is a high probability at this point that this company is going under. I doubt they have the boldness to take what I feel would be the best step, dropping most rental stores and sticking mainly with Game Crazy's.

[quote name='DiRT_X']Went to HWV yesterday to check out what was left, i asked for 360 empty cases, the manager said they threw away 500+ cases. when i let him know that people would have paid at least $1 each for those, he stood there with his mouth open. GG HWV. (the guy behind me was there to get ps3 and dvd cases too)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, they are being stupid about the original cases. One store was letting you have the case/manual as long as it wasn't marked as the display copy (for example, there were two original Mini Ninjas and they let me buy the one that didn't have the "display box" sticker). They said all the display ones would be sent to other stores.

The rude store had systematically pulled every original case and manual and had them all stacked neatly in a corner. At least 200 cases. When I asked about them, they refused to sell me the ones for the games I was looking at, even at an extra dollar or two. Instead, they said they throw them randomly in big bins (like 50 to a bin) and sell them to other chains for about $20.

So they prefer $.40 per case to $1-2 per case. :drool:

I checked out both Movie Gallery stores that're closing in my area last night and neither had anything of particular interest to me left already. They were still at a meager 40% off for games too, which is unusual seeing as how one of them had a sign up saying it was their 'last 8 days'.

But judging by the amount of empty shelf space, I guess I know why they were only up to 40% off. It's the normal shnooks coming in and buying up tons of overpriced crap to blame, as always at these sales.

The closer one to my house still had 2-3 copies of COD: MW2 and a lone copy of Army Of Two: 40th Day for PS3, but all of them were listed as 'rented out'.

Other than that, they had some shittastic Blu-Ray movies and mostly crap DVD's left. Suffice to say I won't be going back during this last week, unlike the Blockbuster closing sale which I hit up about once a week.

For those interested, so you can avoid wasting your time, it was the MG stores in Hanover Township, PA(near Wilkes-Barre, PA) and Pittston, PA.

store by me is selling the cases separately from the game for 10 for $1.

I dug through and grabbed the case for my kid's game and they just gave it to me.

If I didn't have so many extra cases already I'd go back and grab a stack or two for when I buy a used game in a crappy case.

Got lucky tonight. Rolled in just as someone was returning their copy of Bad Company 2 and snagged it complete for $29.99. Also grabbed Stuntman Ignition for $4 and change to go along with my $29.99 MLB 2k10 and a bunch of cheap DVDs I picked up earlier. I'm loving this sale so far, but definitely feel for the employees. I've been watching them catch a lot of crap the last few days, and they are all about to be out of jobs. I've definitely passed on my sympathy for their situation.

the only store near me closing never went past 60 off games. oh well i still racked up
me2
left for dead 2
new super mario brothers for wii
mario tennies
dark siders
bully
batman aa
band hero
brutal legend
bigs 2
all those for 150 dollars so i am pretty happy, and sorry for the people there, one dude was cool as all get out

Went by my local store and told the employee that all Movie Gallery's (Hollywoodvideo) store are closing soon. And they going to liquidate soon. He responded, "All I know is that our store is staying open."

He then said, "DO YOU HAVE A QUESTION?!" I told the dude that I'm just giving you a heads about your job man. He wasn't so happy about the news I guess. I rather let them know now and not when the doors a closed the next time they come back for work.

You went all the way out to a store just to tell the employees that? You know that they are currently only closing about 1/3 of their locations at this time, right??

[quote name='sgaldis']You went all the way out to a store just to tell the employees that? You know that they are currently only closing about 1/3 of their locations at this time, right??[/QUOTE]

I didn't just go out there to tell them that. I rent movies and games there once in awhile and 1 of 5 games stops is across the street where I just traded in some games today. So do you think its not a great idea to let them know that there jobs could possible be on the line?

bread's done
Back