Official Hollywood Video Deals Thread - Updated Throughout The Week!

Thekrakrabbit

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
Hello and welcome to the official Hollywood Video Deals Thread, brought to you by Thekrakrabbit and Cheap Ass Gamers around the world!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This thread is to be used to learn about and post about all deals that can be found at Hollywood Video stores around the nation. Feel free to post any deals you may have found, some details and your location and when I see it I will edit this post ASAP to let evetyone know about the money-saver. Please make sure that any deals you post about have your location included to help out fellow CAGs.

I wish you all the best of luck in your quest to be a CAG, and lets all save some cash!

Happy Hunting! :bomb:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current Deal(s):

*PLEASE NOTE*
These deals will not work in Hollywood Video stores that have a "Gamecrazy" or "Movie Gallery" in them most of the time. 99% of the time, only standalone Hollywood Video stores or those with a "Gamezone" will run the deals. YMMV. Most of the time, Hollywood Video stores either alone, or with a "Gamezone". NOT Gamecrazy or Movie Gallery.

DVD Deals:

All Movies $12.99 or Less Are Discounted To $4.99 (Needs coupon code up front)
All Movies $9.99 or Less Are Discounted To $3.99 (Needs coupon code up front)
Buy Any Two (2) Movies, Get Two (2) Free (Priced $14.99 or less) (Needs coupon code up front)
Pre-Order Bonuses:

:360::360::360::360::360:

None!

Multiplatform:

None!

Xbox Live 12+1 Month Gold Cards - $39.99:

{Serious YMMV though, as not every Hollywood Video carries these Xbox Live cards, and not every store will have the same amount of stock. Not every store will have many, if they have any.}

New Copies of Madden NFL 10 - $39.99:

{Again, serious, serious, serious YMMV deal as this is not an official Hollywood Video deal and the odds of you scoring such a great steal are slim to none. Nevertheless, a solid deal if you can find it.}

Last edited by a moderator:
My closest HWV didnt have much that qualified for the sale but the girl manually price adjusted a few games for me that didnt qualify and charged me 4.99 for them. Very nice of her.

I was out of town for the holiday and didn't make it to my local store until yesterday. Talked with the clerks and they said someone came in the day before the sale started and bought every single game that was under 29.99 that had any value. The only thing he left were older sports games. A big fuck goes out to that guy! Probably put everything right up on ebay.

If they had extended the deal through tomorrow or even today I would have cleaned up a lot more. Had to do quick runs over the weekend that weren't as detectable to interrupting family time. I doubled my money with credit turning $120 to $240+, but I had saved up $320 in GC credit in anticipation of the sale. I'm going to probably burn through some of the excess credit to get some PS3 goodies since I got the BF Amazon PS3 bundle.

[quote name='super_dawn']True...but you broke a HUGE rule of working at HWV..you never ever ring up items using a coupon on your own account for an extra discount. [/QUOTE]

Never, ever heard of this rule in the entirety of the time I've worked there. Hell, my manager even does it. *shrug*

[quote name='io']I was told by 2 or 3 clerks I dealt with yesterday that it would and after today and was encouraged by the employees at the store I was at tonight to buy as much as I could as it was ending when they closed.
.[/QUOTE]

That's the same thing I was told at the one I went to. They even asked if I was sure I got everything I wanted, and that there were more games not just on the rack that says used games 29.99 for 4.99. The clerk said their manager was ready for the sale this time around and requested games to be sent to the store in preparation of it. Sadly fallout 3 didn't qualify.

[quote name='Toss'][quote name='ackbar7']It is sad that HWV can't sell out most of their games with this sale. I am pretty sure that mostly it is CAGs buying this stuff up (at least in my area). Which is great for us, not so great for HWV. It was absurd for them not to include this on their BF ad.[/QUOTE

I agree...their misteps are that of a sinking company. I thought it was wierd that they would offer $4.99 games at HWV and at the same time offer 30% bumps at GC over the same weekend. WTF[/QUOTE]

It's a good opportunity to stock up on games they can sell during the holidays for a higher price than five bucks. Game sells for five bucks at Hollywood; gets traded in to GameCrazy; game sells again for $20+ dollars.

Might be wrong, but I suppose it's possible the people who run the company thought of that issue.

Houston, TX is officially a Hollywood Video wasteland .. on my routes I hit up several HV stores and most of them are shut down by the sheriff for not paying rent or have been shut down for quite awhile.

Thanks for this!
I just registered on this site to say thank you SO MUCH!!!!

I came up on a lot of games and I didn't start going around until Friday, can't imagine how full these places were on Thursday.

Thanks again, VERY much appreciated.

I just searched EGay and there's only 27 auctions in the US up for FEAR 2 for PS3, which is one of the games I got from one of my local HWV stores during the sale.

However, the one douchebag seller has about 7-9 or more copies listed. Gee. I wonder where they got them from?

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I just searched EGay and there's only 27 auctions in the US up for FEAR 2 for PS3, which is one of the games I got from one of my local HWV stores during the sale.

However, the one douchebag seller has about 7-9 or more copies listed. Gee. I wonder where they got them from?[/QUOTE]

reported for homophobic remarks

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I'll take it if you're willing to get rid of it. As for being a newbie trader/seller, we all start somewhere.[/QUOTE]

pm'd you.

[quote name='schnitzelg']Big thanks to Super_Dawn for letting us know about this sale. I can't believe that Hollywood Video didn't advertise it more. There were no signs in my store and even some of the employees had no idea it was going on. There was pretty much no way to know it was going on here unless you read it on CAG or happened to stop by on Thanksgiving and ran into the right employee. Thanks again![/QUOTE]

No problem! I totally agree that HWV really blew it... as usual..for advertising this sale.

[quote name='ackbar7'] It'd be nice if they did this in the week or so before Christmas. Wasn't the 3.99 deal going at that time last year?[/QUOTE]

I mentioned in an earlier post...how I saw that at our store we will be receiving more (4.99 for $29.99 games) signage on 12/4 ...sooo I can only guess that this sale will return again.

[quote name='MirrIll']Never, ever heard of this rule in the entirety of the time I've worked there. Hell, my manager even does it. *shrug*[/QUOTE]

I've worked at 5 different stores/2 states which does not include the ones I've gone to just to help out over the course of 5 years... I really am not trying to brag about that (it doesn't even seem like bragging with such a crappy company) but you really are not allowed to ring up items on your employee account AND then apply the barcode discounts as well. I'm 90% sure its also listed in the employee handbook. Not to say I haven't broken some rules too... ;) Hell, if LP never finds out and your mgr is fine with it...then go ahead..

[quote name='Gbear09']Not sure if I should post this here, but I believe this is a definition of El Hoardo (if I'm not supposed to post here, my apologies, i'll delete it no problemo):

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/vgm/1489251352.html

You can even see the HWV used sticker prices on it.[/QUOTE]

Actually, I believe that is El Hoardo's evil cousin, El Douchebaggo.

I know HWV is trying to get rid of stock with these sales, but how about some limiting of quantities to at least seperate visits.:roll:

But hopefully El Douchebaggo knows that HWV doesn't return your cash once they have it(just like Blockbuster), so if he can't sell his stash of crap there he's SOL. :lol:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I hope you're kidding. :roll:[/QUOTE]

you cant say ninja
you cant say jew
you cant say GAY

rules: follow them

*gasp* You really can't say the silent assassin word? Odd, I wonder why? Was CheapyD stabbed by a...silent assassin?

Anyway, pretty slow HWV-wise. Maybe some deals will pop up for X-Mas.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Actually, I believe that is El Hoardo's evil cousin, El Douchebaggo.

I know HWV is trying to get rid of stock with these sales, but how about some limiting of quantities to at least seperate visits.:roll:

But hopefully El Douchebaggo knows that HWV doesn't return your cash once they have it(just like Blockbuster), so if he can't sell his stash of crap there he's SOL. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Aha the idiot got stuck with a load of crap..nice.

[quote name='Gbear09']Not sure if I should post this here, but I believe this is a definition of El Hoardo (if I'm not supposed to post here, my apologies, i'll delete it no problemo):

That person has been posting the same ad for months now on the Portland Craigslist. It has to be stuff from the sale in the summer.

They would be smart to dump it off on Gamestop, and buy something with the credit that may actually have a chance at selling.

OK this guy makes no sense. There are 143 games in that lot, at $5 each that cost him 715, plus Albany sales tax 8% ($57) = $772 total. And he wants $750 for the lot? Um...Epic hoarding fail?

it's Albany, OR, and OR has no sales tax. and he probably got a discount somehow i assume (him being an employee or knowing someone or something)

[quote name='Gbear09']Tecmo should be ashamed of themselves! Making a game that uses the ninja word. And shame on us for buying that game![/QUOTE]

Ninja please.:lol:

[quote name='GLOCKGLOCK']I was out of town for the holiday and didn't make it to my local store until yesterday. Talked with the clerks and they said someone came in the day before the sale started and bought every single game that was under 29.99 that had any value. The only thing he left were older sports games. A big fuck goes out to that guy! Probably put everything right up on ebay.[/QUOTE]

I'd say you have more cause to be angry with the employees at that store. How, exactly, did he buy everything they had the day before the sale started? I mean, sure, he could have bought it all at regular price but that would be pretty stupid. They shouldn't have sold him anything for $4.99 before the sale started. They wouldn't even hold a couple of games for me at my local store where they know me well - they said a lot of people were waiting for the sale and sure enough there was a line there Thursday before noon. I got there a few minutes afterwards because I have no tolerance for that sort of thing. I got a handful of things there that the shooter/sports fans people of my town overlooked but I did much better at other stores, even 2 days later.

[quote name='Gbear09']That's the same thing I was told at the one I went to. They even asked if I was sure I got everything I wanted, and that there were more games not just on the rack that says used games 29.99 for 4.99. The clerk said their manager was ready for the sale this time around and requested games to be sent to the store in preparation of it. Sadly fallout 3 didn't qualify.[/QUOTE]

This is the big difference from last time. Last time they had that unfortunate DVD sale where you had to rent two DVDs to get a certain selection of used DVD for $4.99 and many of the stores applied that to the games. I also got told at a few places that they chose not to run the deal at all. Then I'd come on here and find out another CAG went to the same store later that day or the next and cleaned up. It was very frustrating - I got to most of them too early last time before they figured it all out. This time I didn't have to ask for the deal or plead for them to look in their promo books - they all knew about it right away. That made it much better this time around.

Hmmm - this guy is pretty close to me. That might explain some of the large disappearances from the last sale. But I agree with the others, this looks like a list of games from the last sale (and in most cases not even the better ones they had then). It is mostly crap that if he was smart he would have traded at GS during the summer when the values were higher (and as always there are good promos to boost them even more).

[quote name='io']I'd say you have more cause to be angry with the employees at that store. How, exactly, did he buy everything they had the day before the sale started? I mean, sure, he could have bought it all at regular price but that would be pretty stupid. They shouldn't have sold him anything for $4.99 before the sale started. They wouldn't even hold a couple of games for me at my local store where they know me well - they said a lot of people were waiting for the sale and sure enough there was a line there Thursday before noon. I got there a few minutes afterwards because I have no tolerance for that sort of thing. I got a handful of things there that the shooter/sports fans people of my town overlooked but I did much better at other stores, even 2 days later.
[/QUOTE]

Yea, I didn't stick around to get all the details because I was in a hurry, but they 'said' he came in the day before the sale began. He could very well have been there first thing Thursday morning and the employees were still not clued in that there even was a sale, who knows. These stores always seem so disorganized and there was no signage at all about the sale. They could very easily have just been angry that someone came in and picked up all the good games before they had a chance to stash them in the back and exaggerated the story. ;)

I'm thinking back to the last time I was in there and I want to say their selection of used games was pretty poor anyways. Almost all they had left were last gen games. They tried to convert this store to a GameVault (or whatever they call the stores that are not quite a Game Crazy) last year and it seems to have yielded some poor results from what I could gather. Probably because nobody ever traded games there and they really didn't work too hard to get trade ins and you know that you need trade ins to make any type of used game business work. You aren't going to make a profit selling new and used games.

That said, I'll never forget when a local Giant Eagle video rental place shut down a couple years ago. I got there a little after it opened and it was packed, so I started picking out a couple games (all games were $5). All of a sudden some guy rolls in with a big shopping bag full of more shopping bags and just starts going to town. He was pretty much sweeping each shelf into the bags. This guy was the definition of 'el hoardo'. I can just see this guy butt raping the local HWV last Thursday the same way. :bomb:

Has anyone else heard radio ads in their area for HWV as of late? I was kind of surprised to hear them for like 2-4 days in a row recently as I was going here and there.

Apparently, they were advertising some sort of DVD sale with the commercials.

It's about damn time HWV(and maybe Blockbuster will follow suit soon?)starts actually advertising to try and drum up business. Both of those chains look deserted whenever I go into the stores.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Has anyone else heard radio ads in their area for HWV as of late? I was kind of surprised to hear them for like 2-4 days in a row recently as I was going here and there.

It's about damn time HWV(and maybe Blockbuster will follow suit soon?)starts actually advertising to try and drum up business. Both of those chains look deserted whenever I go into the stores.[/QUOTE]

Not HWV, but I did catch a cheesy Gamecrazy radio ad last week advertising their Black Friday sales. Bascially a guy and a girl talking strategy on how to split up in the store (seriously, how BIG is a GC??? It's not like a Walmart or Target...) and grab the games on discount then meet back up at the register. Errr... not sure about that as most of the BF sale items were kept behind the register in my area.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Has anyone else heard radio ads in their area for HWV as of late? I was kind of surprised to hear them for like 2-4 days in a row recently as I was going here and there.

It's about damn time HWV(and maybe Blockbuster will follow suit soon?)starts actually advertising to try and drum up business. Both of those chains look deserted whenever I go into the stores.[/QUOTE]

I remember hearing some ads playing a couple months ago, but nothing recently. They used to send out ads in the mail to all there customers but I have not seen any coupons as of late...so probably no ads either.

I don't remember if I had or not, but I'd like to say thank you to super_dawn. Your info helped make this black friday one of the best in a while.

[quote name='Gbear09']I don't remember if I had or not, but I'd like to say thank you to super_dawn. Your info helped make this black friday one of the best in a while.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='supercoolguy']thanks super dawn you rock[/QUOTE]

awww thanks guys!! :D

Oh yeah, most definitely big kudos to super_dawn - this was the sale of the year for me. It made anything else on BF pale in comparison. The greatest thing about it was that it really wasn't even a BF sale. For one thing, it started Thursday which gave me a leg up on the normal BF shoppers who might otherwise have wiped the stores out. Well, that, and the fact that they didn't advertize it. I mean, had they put flyers in the paper with this deal I'm sure all the stores would have been wiped clean with lines waiting before opening (for some reason this still happened at my local store but clearly not at others).

I wonder what they have coming up next? Even those little $5 off sales were nice when they carried so many $10 new games.

the sale was good turned $38 into $100 or so but I missed getting to my hwv sooner...oh well im sure something will come up

Yep, while this is too small of a corner here on CAG for this to happen, HWV deserves to win sale of the year for 2009 either for this sale or the one during summer. Never going to happen, but it should.
And of course we owe it to Super Dawn for informing us, because there is no way most of us would have gotten the info without her.

[quote name='ackbar7']Yep, while this is too small of a corner here on CAG for this to happen, HWV deserves to win sale of the year for 2009 either for this sale or the one during summer. Never going to happen, but it should.
And of course we owe it to Super Dawn for informing us, because there is no way most of us would have gotten the info without her.[/QUOTE]

I agree I was abe to pick up 25 different games from this sale that were on my watch list and for $5 my wife couldnt even bitch that I was stopping on thanx day!

Thanks again. I'm glad to have helped... I even got some good games too. Not as much as some of you guys tho!! But I do agree with ackbar...seriously sale of the year. I think the only thing close for me was that b1g1 at blockbuster a couple months back which I scored on.

welp, I don't work again till wednesday...but certainly I will be keeping my eye out for the good stuff. ;)

[quote name='ackbar7']Yep, while this is too small of a corner here on CAG for this to happen, HWV deserves to win sale of the year for 2009 either for this sale or the one during summer. Never going to happen, but it should.
And of course we owe it to Super Dawn for informing us, because there is no way most of us would have gotten the info without her.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, like the one at the end of last year I'm sure it will get on the list of nominations, but it won't come close to winning.

For me the two best sales this year have been the two HWV $4.99 sales (I'd lump them together) and the various BBV B1G1 sales (or has there only been one this year - I forget). I can't think of anything that comes close that wasn't just maybe for a single product.

I forgot what won last year but I remember that TRU RB2 bundle deal came right at the end of the year and while it was a good one, it was somewhat limited (being that it was just for one thing). That was fresh on everyone's minds and as a result I think that won. And people always nominate stupid stuff like the TRU B2G1 sale. That's nice and all, but getting nearly new games for $5 beats 33% off :roll:.

Heads up for everyone who bought PS3 games at the last sale. GS is offering $5 bonus on each PS3 above $2. Requires a coupon you can find in the GS thread. I got about $10 more than the tiered 40% bump would have got me for the 5 games I traded in.

Yeah, I wish I would have held onto some of the sub-$10 TIV games I got from this sale. I probably had about 50 or so. I was just in a rush to catch the end of the tiered deal at GS, b/c I always feel that is one of the best promo's they run, in general. The +$5 would have been killer for a lot of these titles, though...

[quote name='sgaldis']Yeah, I wish I would have held onto some of the sub-$10 TIV games I got from this sale. I probably had about 50 or so. I was just in a rush to catch the end of the tiered deal at GS, b/c I always feel that is one of the best promo's they run, in general. The +$5 would have been killer for a lot of these titles, though...[/QUOTE]

Me too...damn.

Hey so I had to call work today to find out my schedule/recheck out my games n' such ...and I found out from another employee that at our store we will begin the $4.99 any used game less than $29.99 starting this THURSDAY! :D I won't be at the store till Tuesday (I live kinda far from work so I don't go in too often unless I have to) but I will check on all signage/dates/other deals as soon as I go.

We also started a deal that we used to have about 4 years ago..(not game related)...selected older kids movies will be free to rent. There are usually stickers in the upper right/left corners. I can't remember some of the restrictions, but I will check on this too.

Hmm... have HWV stores converted any ex-rentals into sale games since last weekend? If not, there's not much point in doing the rounds again, least not round here.

[quote name='dinovelvet']Hmm... have HWV stores converted any ex-rentals into sale games since last weekend? If not, there's not much point in doing the rounds again, least not round here.[/QUOTE]

It's completely different at every store for that. We get a pull list for rentals every Sunday ...however I have not seen one for games since March at our store. BUT...this varies because different stores have different inventories. Some stores may have 6 or 7 of one game title and eventually will put them for sale as they get older.

[quote name='super_dawn']Hey so I had to call work today to find out my schedule/recheck out my games n' such ...and I found out from another employee that at our store we will begin the $4.99 any used game less than $29.99 starting this THURSDAY! :D I won't be at the store till Tuesday (I live kinda far from work so I don't go in too often unless I have to) but I will check on all signage/dates/other deals as soon as I go.

We also started a deal that we used to have about 4 years ago..(not game related)...selected older kids movies will be free to rent. There are usually stickers in the upper right/left corners. I can't remember some of the restrictions, but I will check on this too.[/QUOTE]

Interesting. How long does it take for games to be transferred from a Gamecrazy to a HWV? If so, I'd love to request that the one local shop has a copy of LOTR: Conquest brought in and a few other games I've missed from the last 3-4 sales.

[quote name='super_dawn']Hey so I had to call work today to find out my schedule/recheck out my games n' such ...and I found out from another employee that at our store we will begin the $4.99 any used game less than $29.99 starting this THURSDAY! :D I won't be at the store till Tuesday (I live kinda far from work so I don't go in too often unless I have to) but I will check on all signage/dates/other deals as soon as I go. [/QUOTE]

Well, holy crap, now I can take up that GC guy's offer to have some stuff transferred! And I also know which store to keep an eye on - they got two huge transfers just during that last small sale and, in fact, still probably have a lot of it left over. I'll need to go there first. My local store has squat right now unless Star Ocean drops to $29.99 :pray:.

[quote name='super_dawn']We also started a deal that we used to have about 4 years ago..(not game related)...selected older kids movies will be free to rent. There are usually stickers in the upper right/left corners. I can't remember some of the restrictions, but I will check on this too.[/QUOTE]

This has been going on since the summer here. I thought it was just a summer promo and was surprised they extended it when school started. In fact, I just returned a (free) SpongeBob DVD my son had been eyeing back when it was $2.99. They didn't have all that great a selection during the summer but it seems to have gotten better. One stellar standout title that anyone should get (kids or not) is My Neighbor Totoro. Most of the rest was Thomas Tank Engine and Pokemon type stuff. My kids used to be really into Thomas (I have a bunch of VHS tapes) so I got one for my 2 year-old thinking he might like it but he didn't seem too interested.

[quote name='super_dawn']Hey so I had to call work today to find out my schedule/recheck out my games n' such ...and I found out from another employee that at our store we will begin the $4.99 any used game less than $29.99 starting this THURSDAY! :D I won't be at the store till Tuesday (I live kinda far from work so I don't go in too often unless I have to) but I will check on all signage/dates/other deals as soon as I go.

We also started a deal that we used to have about 4 years ago..(not game related)...selected older kids movies will be free to rent. There are usually stickers in the upper right/left corners. I can't remember some of the restrictions, but I will check on this too.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tip! I hope it works out.

bread's done
Back