Official Playstation VR Deals and Discussion Thread

billyrox

CAGiversary!
Feedback
54 (100%)
Just starting a thread for deals for the Playstation VR. 

I picked up the Core bundle off Amazon and I'm looking for a cheap camera and move controllers.

I found that best buy has some cheap playstation 4 cameras on sale for 39.99 with free shipping.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-playstation-camera-for-playstation-4-black/8245153.p?skuId=8245153

If you all know any good deals for move controllers or launch games, let me know.

Until Dawn: Rush of Blood (PS VR) $15.99 via Amazon (Prime Price). https://www.amazon.c...heapassgam08-20

Last edited by a moderator:
So you clearly did not watch this video before. He says right away that DEVS and people with the PSVR2 kits told him Sony could have made PSVR1 BC with PSVR2. Straight from devs. You can choose to believe the devs that actually make games or Sony's PR people that spin things so it's in their favor. Look, I understand that you want to stick up for Sony and defend your purchase or future purchase of the PSVR2 but when devs are telling you that Sony just didn't want to do it but totally could have, that's on you to believe them or not. I believe devs all day, everyday over a PR person or someone getting paychecks from Sony to say the right things. Bottomline is that all of us that supported PSVR1 are getting screwed over for the most part. The headset and the box and all those cables having to be kept hooked up to the PS5 with another PSVR2 headset right next to it is ridiculous.
Yes I watched that. He didn't give us any details either or if the devs even gave any detail other than "it can be done" and that's it. They didn't say whether it was through software or hardware. So those guys discuss both.

The hardware makes no sense to do. The guy is talking out of his ass about just making PSVR2 work with the camera for a multitude of reasons, the easiest one to see that it has no lights on it for tracking purposes. Then they discuss the fact that the new controllers don't even have the same amount of buttons on them as the move controllers do. There are so many holes in that idea.

And then we have the software side of things, which yes, is possible as we've been discussing. There is no "one size fits all" way to do it, and even those guys discuss it.

Again, of course they "could have" done this at launch but it wouldn't make much financial sense to do so. Imagine if they had to hand pick games and manually make them BC. That would take up so much time/money to do it that they don't think it's worth it.

Kind of like how MS when they had BC back on Xbox One, they had to individually patch each game from Xbox 360 one by one. But they went ahead and did it and who knows if in the long run it was worth it financially. I'm guessing since you can play those games on Game Pass now (I am assuming, I don't have it), that it would be worth it to them to have this much larger library now.

But PSVR is a niche product and I am guessing it wouldn't make sense financially for them to work with the devs to put out these patches for free. If it did, they would have done it. I mean Sony is in this business for one reason. To make money. If doing so would have made them more money, they would have done it.

No one is "getting screwed over" either. You are buying new hardware that plays new games. You know this prior to purchasing it. If you don't like that, don't buy it.

I've been a sotftware dev for nearly 20 years professionally now so I know a thing or two about how development works, and I've integrated with various pieces of hardware too. I'm not claiming to have inside knowledge of PSVR2 and BC stuff, but there are some very VERY obvious hardware/software issues that immediately jump out which would make a catch all solution to BC being feasible.

Yes I watched that. He didn't give us any details either or if the devs even gave any detail other than "it can be done" and that's it. They didn't say whether it was through software or hardware. So those guys discuss both.

The hardware makes no sense to do. The guy is talking out of his ass about just making PSVR2 work with the camera for a multitude of reasons, the easiest one to see that it has no lights on it for tracking purposes. Then they discuss the fact that the new controllers don't even have the same amount of buttons on them as the move controllers do. There are so many holes in that idea.

And then we have the software side of things, which yes, is possible as we've been discussing. There is no "one size fits all" way to do it, and even those guys discuss it.

Again, of course they "could have" done this at launch but it wouldn't make much financial sense to do so. Imagine if they had to hand pick games and manually make them BC. That would take up so much time/money to do it that they don't think it's worth it.

Kind of like how MS when they had BC back on Xbox One, they had to individually patch each game from Xbox 360 one by one. But they went ahead and did it and who knows if in the long run it was worth it financially. I'm guessing since you can play those games on Game Pass now (I am assuming, I don't have it), that it would be worth it to them to have this much larger library now.

But PSVR is a niche product and I am guessing it wouldn't make sense financially for them to work with the devs to put out these patches for free. If it did, they would have done it. I mean Sony is in this business for one reason. To make money. If doing so would have made them more money, they would have done it.

No one is "getting screwed over" either. You are buying new hardware that plays new games. You know this prior to purchasing it. If you don't like that, don't buy it.

I've been a sotftware dev for nearly 20 years professionally now so I know a thing or two about how development works, and I've integrated with various pieces of hardware too. I'm not claiming to have inside knowledge of PSVR2 and BC stuff, but there are some very VERY obvious hardware/software issues that immediately jump out which would make a catch all solution to BC being feasible.
My whole point is it's possible. Sony saying it's not is just a lie. From what I understand, all PCVR games are BC with new hardware so there goes your argument with that. I have spoken with the devs from the MLB The Show series multiple years when they were going to CES back in the PS3 days. I asked them why they can't make the load times faster and they told me they can, they just don't prioritize it. The next year, the load times were faster and he said, we did it this year! So that's just one example of can't vs don't want to. I am sure you being in software dev know exactly what I am referring to. Sony COULD have made ALL PSVR1 games BC if they wanted to, they just decided not to. Whether it was money related or whatever, it is 100% possible. Like it's already been established, devs know that Sony just didn't want to. Use some of your industry contacts to see just exactly why this decision was made and find out how easy or difficult it would have been.

My whole point is it's possible. Sony saying it's not is just a lie. From what I understand, all PCVR games are BC with new hardware so there goes your argument with that. I have spoken with the devs from the MLB The Show series multiple years when they were going to CES back in the PS3 days. I asked them why they can't make the load times faster and they told me they can, they just don't prioritize it. The next year, the load times were faster and he said, we did it this year! So that's just one example of can't vs don't want to. I am sure you being in software dev know exactly what I am referring to. Sony COULD have made ALL PSVR1 games BC if they wanted to, they just decided not to. Whether it was money related or whatever, it is 100% possible. Like it's already been established, devs know that Sony just didn't want to. Use some of your industry contacts to see just exactly why this decision was made and find out how easy or difficult it would have been.
I mean, did Sony say it's not possible?

(I honestly don't know)

And if so, link?

And your example with MLB the Show is apples to oranges trying to compare it to PSVR.

That is a software problem, not a hardware problem.

I mean, did Sony say it's not possible?

(I honestly don't know)

And if so, link?

And your example with MLB the Show is apples to oranges trying to compare it to PSVR.

That is a software problem, not a hardware problem.
You don't know about the interview? Official PlayStation Podcast Episode 439: Virtual Impressions – PlayStation.Blog\

In the latest episode of the Official PlayStation Podcast, at around the 29:10 mark, SVP of Platform Experience, Hideaki Nishino, confirms that the PSVR2 will not have backwards compatibility with original PSVR games. "PSVR games are not compatible with PSVR2 because PSVR2's designed to deliver a truly next-generation VR experience," Nishino said before explaining some of the noteworthy features exclusive to PSVR2, such as the haptic feedback and adaptive triggers found on the Sense Controllers.

"This means developing games for PSVR2 requires a whole different approach than the original PSVR," Nishino continued.

PSVR games are not compatible with PSVR 2," SVP of platform experience Hideaki Nishino said on the latest Official PlayStation Podcast(opens in new tab), "because PSVR 2 is designed to deliver a truly next-generation VR experience. PSVR 2 has much more advanced features like all-new controller haptics feedback, adaptive triggers, inside-out tracking, eye-tracking, 3D audio is coming together, 4K, and HDR, of course.

"So this means developing games for PSVR 2 requires a whole different approach than the original PSVR. These features actually enable developers to create worlds that feel more vivid and alive, and bring players closer to the gameplay experience than ever. I believe that. Games like Resident Evil Village and Horizon: Call of the Mountain show how developers are using PSVR 2 to deliver a whole new level of visual and audio sensory immersion in VR games, which was a really nice experience to me. I really enjoyed that."

GreyMatterShades
September 16, 2022 at 12:32 pm PDT

Sorry, but that’s ridiculous. I’ve spoken to PSVR 1 developers. They’ve told me it would be relatively easy for Sony to implement full backward compatibility for PSVR 2. The PS5 is running the games, and it supports PS4/PSVR games already. All they would need to do is write some simple software to translate the positional data from the PSVR 2 controllers and headset to a format PSVR games can recognize, and provide a simple button remapping tool.

I don’t like having my games locked into dead hardware. It’s worse for PSVR than it is for an old console because it’s such a pain to set up, and I can’t leave it hooked up because it takes up half the USB ports on my PS5.

PSVR 2 not being backward compatible is a massive blunder by Sony.

"I don’t like having my games locked into dead hardware"

then don't buy Sony products. it is that simple, they have not supported previous gen anything since removing the ps2 software from the ps3.

You don't know about the interview? Official PlayStation Podcast Episode 439: Virtual Impressions – PlayStation.Blog\

In the latest episode of the Official PlayStation Podcast, at around the 29:10 mark, SVP of Platform Experience, Hideaki Nishino, confirms that the PSVR2 will not have backwards compatibility with original PSVR games. "PSVR games are not compatible with PSVR2 because PSVR2's designed to deliver a truly next-generation VR experience," Nishino said before explaining some of the noteworthy features exclusive to PSVR2, such as the haptic feedback and adaptive triggers found on the Sense Controllers.

"This means developing games for PSVR2 requires a whole different approach than the original PSVR," Nishino continued.

PSVR games are not compatible with PSVR 2," SVP of platform experience Hideaki Nishino said on the latest Official PlayStation Podcast(opens in new tab), "because PSVR 2 is designed to deliver a truly next-generation VR experience. PSVR 2 has much more advanced features like all-new controller haptics feedback, adaptive triggers, inside-out tracking, eye-tracking, 3D audio is coming together, 4K, and HDR, of course.

"So this means developing games for PSVR 2 requires a whole different approach than the original PSVR. These features actually enable developers to create worlds that feel more vivid and alive, and bring players closer to the gameplay experience than ever. I believe that. Games like Resident Evil Village and Horizon: Call of the Mountain show how developers are using PSVR 2 to deliver a whole new level of visual and audio sensory immersion in VR games, which was a really nice experience to me. I really enjoyed that."

GreyMatterShades
September 16, 2022 at 12:32 pm PDT

Sorry, but that’s ridiculous. I’ve spoken to PSVR 1 developers. They’ve told me it would be relatively easy for Sony to implement full backward compatibility for PSVR 2. The PS5 is running the games, and it supports PS4/PSVR games already. All they would need to do is write some simple software to translate the positional data from the PSVR 2 controllers and headset to a format PSVR games can recognize, and provide a simple button remapping tool.

I don’t like having my games locked into dead hardware. It’s worse for PSVR than it is for an old console because it’s such a pain to set up, and I can’t leave it hooked up because it takes up half the USB ports on my PS5.

PSVR 2 not being backward compatible is a massive blunder by Sony.
Thanks for the quotes.

Honestly it's semantics at this time.

When I read that, I don't see them saying "it is not possible" but you do.

I read it and take it literally - that PSVR2 does not have BC. They don't claim whether it is even possible or not. They just say it doesn't have it and give some stupid marketing excuse as to why. Again, just semantics at this point.

But clearly devs are patching their PS4 games that worked on PSVR1 to work on PSVR2 with some upgrades to them. So clearly there is a way.

EDIT:

And this portion of the quote above...

"All they would need to do is write some simple software to translate the positional data from the PSVR 2 controllers and headset to a format PSVR games can recognize, and provide a simple button remapping tool"

Is just utter bullshit. That dummy has no clue what all is involved in it and just claims it would be "simple" to do all of that, when the reality is, that it would be far from simple to do any of that.

Thanks for the quotes.

Honestly it's semantics at this time.

When I read that, I don't see them saying "it is not possible" but you do.

I read it and take it literally - that PSVR2 does not have BC. They don't claim whether it is even possible or not. They just say it doesn't have it and give some stupid marketing excuse as to why. Again, just semantics at this point.

But clearly devs are patching their PS4 games that worked on PSVR1 to work on PSVR2 with some upgrades to them. So clearly there is a way.

EDIT:

And this portion of the quote above...

"All they would need to do is write some simple software to translate the positional data from the PSVR 2 controllers and headset to a format PSVR games can recognize, and provide a simple button remapping tool"

Is just utter bullshit. That dummy has no clue what all is involved in it and just claims it would be "simple" to do all of that, when the reality is, that it would be far from simple to do any of that.
He flat out states "PSVR games are not compatible with PSVR2." There is no other way to interpret it. Like I have already showed you, devs have stated the opposite. Again, you have software contacts. Find out for yourself since you don't seem to want to believe the guys at PSVR2 without parole. I have no idea why a reputable channel like that would flat out lie. I am sure there have been other places reporting the same stuff devs tell them. I am sure you can find a dev you trust and that has made a PSVR1 game to tell you Sony just didn't want to do it and clearly chose to leave it up to each individual dev team to do the extra work.

He flat out states "PSVR games are not compatible with PSVR2." There is no other way to interpret it. Like I have already showed you, devs have stated the opposite. Again, you have software contacts. Find out for yourself since you don't seem to want to believe the guys at PSVR2 without parole. I have no idea why a reputable channel like that would flat out lie. I am sure there have been other places reporting the same stuff devs tell them. I am sure you can find a dev you trust and that has made a PSVR1 game to tell you Sony just didn't want to do it and clearly chose to leave it up to each individual dev team to do the extra work.
You don't have to keep repeating what he said. I know what he said. I can read too. He never says "it is impossible to play PSVR games on PSVR2". He said RIGHT NOW it is not possible to play PSVR games on PSVR2. No one is lying.

I mean, many 360 games "were not compatible with Xbox One" too ... until they were.

Genesis games "were not compatible with Switch virtual console" along with many other old Nintendo games ... until they were.

Many arcade games "are not compatible with MAME" either ... until they are.

It's all semantics and for some reason you are having trouble grasping this. With some work that probably ranges from a lot to a little, games can be ported to work with PSVR2 - devs have already done it. You are acting like this is so black and white. It's not.

Believe there is some super conspiracy from Sony that there is some magic button they could press and make all PSVR games just magically work on PSVR2 but they are choosing not to do that.

I won't.

Don't engage the moron.

You don't have to keep repeating what he said. I know what he said. I can read too. He never says "it is impossible to play PSVR games on PSVR2". He said RIGHT NOW it is not possible to play PSVR games on PSVR2. No one is lying.

I mean, many 360 games "were not compatible with Xbox One" too ... until they were.

Genesis games "were not compatible with Switch virtual console" along with many other old Nintendo games ... until they were.

It's all semantics and for some reason you are having trouble grasping this. With some work that probably ranges from a lot to a little, games can be ported to work with PSVR2 - devs have already done it. You are acting like this is so black and white. It's not.

Believe there is some super conspiracy from Sony that there is some magic button they could press and make all PSVR games just magically work on PSVR2 but they are choosing not to do that.

I won't.
Pretty please? I'd call them a troll, but trolls are malicious. This one is just dumb. You see that.

Synth Riders down to $20, but doesn't seem as much of a deal when the "recent music edition"/bundled with the Gorillaz pack is $32 still. I suppose I simply want a lower entry point to something designed to keep selling dlc. I have a bad feeling about Beat Saber's eventual port.

grandpa-abe-exit.gif

Also, if you're copying text from another site, highlight all of it and click the eraser button to remove the formatting so it doesn't look so terrible in your posts.

Also, if you're copying text from another site, highlight all of it and click the eraser button to remove the formatting so it doesn't look so terrible in your posts.
Honestly, this whole thread has become a wall of "This post is hidden because you have chosen to ignore posts by"

Played about 3 hours of GT7 last night before any motion sickness set in. Pretty impressed by that fact alone. Also, the game itself has been really impressive. Switched my gearshift buttons from X and square to L1/R1 and that tiny change made it even more immersive (feeling a little closer to paddle shifters). Very heavily considering a wheel and rig but feel a bit overwhelmed as a complete noob to that.

Played about 3 hours of GT7 last night before any motion sickness set in. Pretty impressed by that fact alone. Also, the game itself has been really impressive. Switched my gearshift buttons from X and square to L1/R1 and that tiny change made it even more immersive (feeling a little closer to paddle shifters). Very heavily considering a wheel and rig but feel a bit overwhelmed as a complete noob to that.
The immersion of the wheel and cockpit really does take it to another level. So many people with the VR2 have bit the bullet and gotten a wheel after playing it and even with a less expensive wheel, it would be a ton of fun.

I'm looking to upgrade my wheel in the fall, since I won't be playing it as much when the weather is nice, and my wife is already dreading that since it will be about a $1500 investment with cockpit and wheel. Oh, well... it keeps me out of trouble on the actual roads... :p

I wonder how the license is treated if you own the game from plus and the paid dlc. I know in the past you could sometimes get a full license by claiming a different console version when it released later. Don’t know if that’s still a thing that can happen

I wonder how the license is treated if you own the game from plus and the paid dlc. I know in the past you could sometimes get a full license by claiming a different console version when it released later. Don’t know if that’s still a thing that can happen
I didn't drop the $4 because I know it'll be too spooky for me. Surely someone here did.

Gorn doesn't have a release date now, hopefully they're making a plan to not shoot themselves in the foot again.

I didn't drop the $4 because I know it'll be too spooky for me. Surely someone here did.

Gorn doesn't have a release date now, hopefully they're making a plan to not shoot themselves in the foot again.
Even though I didn’t want to, purely because they stated many times that it would be free, I did pay the $3 for the dlc. I was able to claim the ps5 version without issue. But I won’t know if it gave me a full licence for the ps5 game unless my plus subscription runs out. I know it used to be possible to override your plus licence of a game with a full license during the ps3/4/Vita days. But like I said, won’t know if that will happen with this game unless my, or someone else’s plus runs out and it can be verified

I won't.
We get it you think you’re 100% right…Sony controls the hardware and software. They could have made it work or given devs a path to make it work. They picked not to….

Been talking about it, but finally pulled the trigger on a racing setup. Placed an order at Dell because I had a combo of discounts. Thrustmaster T248 on sale for $300, TH8A shifter on “sale” for $180, and Next Level F-GT Lite iRacing Edition on sale for $257. Bought the iRacing edition, which I think is a little more expensive, but it was all Dell had in that style.

Rakuten had 10% cash back and my Amex card had $120 back on $599 or more. Total after tax was just under $800, but with about $200 back. Seems like a lot for an entry level setup, but I’m still really excited.

The rig came in today and I got it together without much hassle. Unfortunately, the wheel and shifter aren’t scheduled to be delivered till Monday

Numerous VR games on my [psprices] wishlist are on sale right now. Unfortunately, I’m not sure if any of them have upgrade paths for psvr2. There are a few with announced psvr2 ports at least, but no idea if there will be any free out even payed upgrades. Notably: Colossal Cave $25, Pixel Ripped 1995 $12, Sairento $11.39, and Wanderer $20.

I’d get all of them if I knew there was a free upgrade

Edit: Sairento doesn’t have a psvr2 announcement yet

I'm not surprised either. PSVR2 was only available direct through Sony, which first needed email invitations to reserve. Then there were hardly any exclusives to the platform and the deluge of ports mostly required an upgrade fee or to be repurchased outright. Not to mention the PS5 was in limited availability until just before the PSVR2's launch, so I'm guessing not many went for both right away.

Also, I don't know why Sony likes to release hardware around February/March instead of around the holidays. They did the same with the PSP and Vita too. It can't be worth that much to get them in the previous fiscal year.

I was going to make a joke about how the 270,000 at least outsold lifetime sales of Virtual Boy but then I double checked the numbers and yeah…

The problem they have to dig themselves out of now is their own history. Time and again Sony has shown the absolutely have no idea how to salvage a mediocre hardware launch. The only one I can think of that kind of managed to turn around for them was PS3. Otherwise, just about any other hardware or add-on they released that had a sub-par launch never really fully recovered.

Even an average launch like the PS VR 1 kind of ended up going out with a whimper. $550 for a piece of hardware that has a bleak outlook of future support just isn’t quite the kind of investment a lot of people are looking for right now with how inflation is going.

Some slight regret that I finished Horizon already. Something I had been begging for apparently got put in with the most recent patch. You can now turn off slow motion jumps! That alone warrants a replay for me, except that I don’t have the time right now. Already way behind on my psvr2 backlog and GT7 is keeping me from doing anything about it

Some slight regret that I finished Horizon already. Something I had been begging for apparently got put in with the most recent patch. You can now turn off slow motion jumps! That alone warrants a replay for me, except that I don’t have the time right now. Already way behind on my psvr2 backlog and GT7 is keeping me from doing anything about it
I've had a crap load of stuff going on in my real life and it's distracted me from spending much time with the VR2, but it's nice that they keep making some subtle improvements to the games.

I think it the launch was handled better and Sony had done more to secure worthwhile launch games, regardless of the price, PSVR2 could've sold more. It' great tech from everything I've seen and read. But if the games aren't there, except in very rare cases, customers usually aren't either.

For those that have PSVR2, what is everyone playing?

“ The Meta Quest Pro only shipped around 300,000 units during its product lifecycle, while Pico, a biggest AR/VR headset company in China, had shipments in 2022 that were more than 40% lower than expected.”

It’s almost like none of these companies are recognizing that people just don’t want to invest $500-1000 or more just for VR headsets.

I think it the launch was handled better and Sony had done more to secure worthwhile launch games, regardless of the price, PSVR2 could've sold more. It' great tech from everything I've seen and read. But if the games aren't there, except in very rare cases, customers usually aren't either.

For those that have PSVR2, what is everyone playing?
I don’t think it has anything to do with the games. There still hasn’t been a killer app for any VR headset. And I’m including half life Alyx. This coming from someone that owns a quest, quest 2 and psvr.

The damn thing simply costs too much. I don’t care what it cost them to make. I don’t care what the tech is. There just aren’t enough people to support a $600 headset. It’s simple as that. It has been demonstrated that the upper limit of a “relatively” successfully sold vr headset is about $350-$400.

I can respect that people are cautious with their spending. They should be. But there is so much to love about psvr2. If you are fortunate enough to be able to afford it, you are in for a treat.

I can respect that people are cautious with their spending. They should be. But there is so much to love about psvr2. If you are fortunate enough to be able to afford it, you are in for a treat.
Well then Sony needs to make it available at Amazon, Target, Walmart, GameStop etc. They also need to announce more upgrade paths for PSVR1 games like Astrobot, Blood and truth, Iron man, Star Wars Rogue squadrons, PS Worlds and many more. It's quite baffling how they are handling it.

I imagine there are quite a few people who would like to trade their PSVR1 towards a PSVR2 but nobody but Sony sell the thing and too many games are locked to the original headset.

I imagine there are quite a few people who would like to trade their PSVR1 towards a PSVR2 but nobody but Sony sell the thing and too many games are locked to the original headset.
I would love to buy a unit using trade in credit at GameStop or use my red card for a five percent discount at target. Limiting it the Sony store gives them more control over who buys it but it is limiting

“ The Meta Quest Pro only shipped around 300,000 units during its product lifecycle, while Pico, a biggest AR/VR headset company in China, had shipments in 2022 that were more than 40% lower than expected.”

It’s almost like none of these companies are recognizing that people just don’t want to invest $500-1000 or more just for VR headsets.
Yeah it needs to be cheaper and more convenient to use. Atm it’s a hassle to use.

Yeah it needs to be cheaper and more convenient to use. Atm it’s a hassle to use.

Well then Sony needs to make it available at Amazon, Target, Walmart, GameStop etc. They also need to announce more upgrade paths for PSVR1 games like Astrobot, Blood and truth, Iron man, Star Wars Rogue squadrons, PS Worlds and many more. It's quite baffling how they are handling it.
Sony has always been Sony first. They've never been that consumer friendly. They still keep on trucking.

Good to know you can order PSVR2 directly from Sony.  Not enough games out to justify a purchase for me though.  Gonna hold out for a sale and hope there are more games available by then.

I'll jump on the psvr 2 train when I can use my BB rewards or trades at gamestop.  Will feel less guilty vs 600+ straight out the bank.

bread's done
Back