Official Sears Clearance Thread II - post Sears finds/deals here

This will be month number 4 of checking on the Metal Gear Essential collection (in addition to some others). I'm going to get to the store around 12:30 eastern. So I probably won't be able to post until 1:15 or so.

[quote name='WeaponX2099']Some games didn't drop or haven't dropped yet.
GH:WT for both Wii & PS3 are still 3.97[/QUOTE]
I can double confirm that.

EDIT: I did scan a few PS3 games. To be honest, I was only looking to find sub $5 games and I hadnt checked this thread much, so I dont remember which i scanned othre than Resistance 2. Still regular price of $29.99 All were regular price $19.99 - $29.99 except GH for $3.97.

have you guys seen any drops? im not interested in gh games. i will be heading out soon and it would save me time if i dont have to scan as much.

Hey everyone... I am atm... standing in Sears scanning my life away. So far, most of the games are still the same price has they have been for months...
Here are some of my scans...

PSP

Ratchet & Clank Size Matters 19.99
Daxter 19.99
Up 19.99
Patapon 2 9.99

Wii

Boy and His Blob 4.97
GH Aerosmith 19.99

Rockband 19.99
RB2 29.99
Assassins Creed 29.99
You're In The Movies 19.99

PS3

RB 19.99
Uncharted 29.99
Shaun White Snowboarding 29.99

My conclusion was another wasted trip to Sears. My Sears seem so very behind with the times. Even LBP is listed as $59.99 in the display case. I got the associate to open the case and I scanned it... it came up $59.99. I pulled GH World Tour out of the display case and checked it. It came up 3.97. I gave him the copies to drop in the bin for some lucky gamer. Sigh. Grrr my evil Sears...

Same result here.

Anything worth buying and playing - Gears 2, Assassin's Creed and Prototype for example - all scanning at full price.

I bought the last and only copies of Boy & His Blob and Muramasa for $3.97 each at the Cherry Creek Sears.

Also ended up buying a $300 Bello TV stand (up to 52") for $120. Way better quality than what you could get at Wal-Mart or Target for $120.

[quote name='YoshiFan1']That sucks some stuff didn't drop, I hope it doesn't end up like KMart where the $4.97 stuff has been $4.97 since March[/QUOTE]

March is the time when SHC-gamer became the main guy in both Sears and Kmart game divisions. What a good job he did since then.:applause:
Great hiring for Kmart and Sears!
Terrible situation for us, cheap ass gamers!

[quote name='infini2001']March is the time when SHC-gamer became the main guy in both Sears and Kmart game divisions. What a good job he did since then.:applause:
Terrible situation for us, cheap ass gamers![/QUOTE]
Josh (SHC) has done some good things in terms of new games sales for Kmart, I haven't seen anything for Sears that has been done. They sure killed clearance though, which I do not think is a smart idea at all. I suspect their strategy is to increase foot traffic into the stores to see if it helps to clear some of that stock that they were putting on clearance previously. I am willing to bet we see weak clearance cycles until they are able to put Sears & Kmart on the same clearance system/schedule.

[quote name='converse']Josh (SHC) has done some good things in terms of new games sales for Kmart, I haven't seen anything for Sears that has been done. They sure killed clearance though, which I do not think is a smart idea at all. I suspect their strategy is to increase foot traffic into the stores to see if it helps to clear some of that stock that they were putting on clearance previously. I am willing to bet we see weak clearance cycles until they are able to put Sears & Kmart on the same clearance system/schedule.[/QUOTE]

If he did to Sears what he's done to Kmart, it wouldn't belong in this thread. It's dedicated to clearance, he's been giving sales on newer stuff. The sales are more expensive than most of the clearance stuff we're used to getting. I'm not saying that his sales aren't good, they just aren't clearance.

[quote name='converse']Josh (SHC) has done some good things in terms of new games sales for Kmart, I haven't seen anything for Sears that has been done. They sure killed clearance though, which I do not think is a smart idea at all. I suspect their strategy is to increase foot traffic into the stores to see if it helps to clear some of that stock that they were putting on clearance previously. I am willing to bet we see weak clearance cycles until they are able to put Sears & Kmart on the same clearance system/schedule.[/QUOTE]
I do like the fact that the SHC people seem to be able to help get issues resolved with stores when they're mentioned in the Kmart thread.

However, I hate that the clearance has come to a screeching halt at Kmart and has been reduced to $1-2 drops at Sears since their arrival.

I understand that they probably want to sell the stuff that's on clearance for a better amount than 90%(or more in the case of the $.50-$1 games)off to those of us who solely go to Kmart/Sears FOR those items alone.

But maybe if they focused on getting employees who actually care about their jobs they might've sold some of these items long before they hit clearance and got to 90% off. Instead they're focusing on sales of newer stuff, while the older stuff is now taking up shelf space without continuing to move downward on the clearance schedule.

Pretty uneventful today.

Got
360 Star wars clone wars 3.97
DS rock revolution .47

Saw
360 Wolfenstein 10.47
PS3 star wars clone wars with an old 9.97 sticker - scanned 19.99 (I hope they aren't repricing former clearance back to msrp like they did a while back :(
360 lips w/ mics 49.99!

Picked up a PSP extended battery pack today- and the battery was swollen on the underside and wouldn't fit into my psp. I took a blade to the plastic shell to release the pressure (so it would fit in my system), and now it won't take a charge.

They had a 2nd one, i'm going to see if they'll let me exchange it. Just getting it out there for others- buyer beware kind of thing.

Star Wars Clone Wars PS3 was tagged $9.97, I thought it would be around $2.97 by now. It scanned for $19.99. I'm sure they would have honored the $9.97 price if I had asked.

FYI, I don't know if it's only clothes, but my closest Sears had an extra 40% off whatever the lowest ticketed price was on clearance clothing. I had to return my jeans I bought because they were too short, and I got the new two pairs that were long enough for $2.99 instead of the original $4.99

I also picked up a nice $64 Indians jacket for $19.20 after the extra 40%. :D

[quote name='YoshiFan1']Star Wars Clone Wars PS3 was tagged $9.97, I thought it would be around $2.97 by now. It scanned for $19.99. I'm sure they would have honored the $9.97 price if I had asked.[/QUOTE]

I guess $19.99 must be the new MSRP for Clone Wars, and maybe that's why it went back up? Makes me glad I got my copy last month for $3.97 (360 version) instead of waiting it out a little longer.

[quote name='JediJames2']I guess $19.99 must be the new MSRP for Clone Wars, and maybe that's why it went back up? Makes me glad I got my copy last month for $3.97 (360 version) instead of waiting it out a little longer.[/QUOTE]

I have noticed at some stores they put a new sticker over the old UPC of clearance games to bring them back up to $19.99. I have found 2 of the same game 1 that rang up at under $1 the other that rang up as $19.99 because it had a new UPC sticker on it. When I asked they didnt know why it had a new UPC but would not remove it or change the price to match the exact same game that was cheaper.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']
But maybe if they focused on getting employees who actually care about their jobs they might've sold some of these items long before they hit clearance and got to 90% off. Instead they're focusing on sales of newer stuff, while the older stuff is now taking up shelf space without continuing to move downward on the clearance schedule.[/QUOTE]

I dont argue that better employees would be a definite help (though I dont have too much trouble at my stores), but what he is doing *is* helping more games from hitting "clearance and [getting] to 90% off" by trying to move product earlier.

As for continuing the downward spiral of clearance prices, I completely understand not dropping them past five bucks or so. Really, once you get down to five, at least IMO, it's not worth waiting for a further drop except for bragging purposes. In the grand scheme of my budget, five dollars and two dollars are practically the same thing. I dont buy enough games to make it cumulatively significant.

Though I'd say this, as a suggestion to SHC, if you want to move the old games, simply VISIBLY MARK them as five bucks and you'd see all of them gone in a week. That would suck for the CAG hunters, but it would move product. I know every time I buy a five buck or less game in Sears/Kmart, the cashier is always surprised and asks me if more are on the shelf.

I don't know how you guys get the fabled clearance prices. The one near me still has in their clearance bin, marked with clearance stickers, (many copies of) Enchanted Arms scanning at $40, Halo Wars LE at $80 (didn't it launch at that price?), and several other games that were GH/PH marked at full, original MSRP. Mine must refuse to drop prices.

[quote name='JustYourAverageJoe']I don't know how you guys get the fabled clearance prices. The one near me still has in their clearance bin, marked with clearance stickers, (many copies of) Enchanted Arms scanning at $40, Halo Wars LE at $80 (didn't it launch at that price?), and several other games that were GH/PH marked at full, original MSRP. Mine must refuse to drop prices.[/QUOTE]

Some Sears stores are stubborn with price drops. Most games, even if they are in a clearance rack, aren't even up for clearance anyway. They just want people to buy them so they toss the games in the bin anyhow. My local Sears has clearance mark down stickers on games like LBP, GOW3, WaW and yet they are full price.

Side note, I'd love for Halo Wars LE to reach a clearance level. My store has had a few tucked away for ages now.

I found Dark Sector still ringing up for $59.99! HAHAHAH. Beowulf was out of the system, so he wouldnt sell it to me, I would have tried it for $5 or less.

[quote name='wrencrest']I found Dark Sector still ringing up for $59.99! HAHAHAH. Beowulf was out of the system, so he wouldnt sell it to me, I would have tried it for $5 or less.[/QUOTE]
Outrageous. Speaking of which, you could get it for four dollars in Like New condition at Amazon.

[quote name='wrencrest']I found Dark Sector still ringing up for $59.99! HAHAHAH. Beowulf was out of the system, so he wouldnt sell it to me, I would have tried it for $5 or less.[/QUOTE]

WTF you passed up Dark Sector?? If they are selling it for $60 there must be something truely special about it there copy. I highly recommend you go back and pick it up :applause:

WTF you passed up Dark Sector?? If they are selling it for $60 there must be something truely special about it their copy. I highly recommend you go back and pick it up :applause:

[quote name='JustYourAverageJoe']I don't know how you guys get the fabled clearance prices. The one near me still has in their clearance bin, marked with clearance stickers, (many copies of) Enchanted Arms scanning at $40, Halo Wars LE at $80 (didn't it launch at that price?), and several other games that were GH/PH marked at full, original MSRP. Mine must refuse to drop prices.[/QUOTE]

I was just at a sears that had Guitar Hero 2 bundle for $89.99

If you find a store (bb, target, whatever) that has it for 9.99 you can PM it and get it for $5 at Sears (PM-10% of the difference).

[quote name='slowdive21']If you find a store (bb, target, whatever) that has it for 9.99 you can PM it and get it for $5 at Sears (PM-10% of the difference).[/QUOTE]

that's awesome! But not worth the hassle since it's usually $5 everywhere else.

Went to two Sears today, first had nothing at all I checked numerous games too. Second I thought had nothing and then before I walked out the clearance section was moved (and very tiny). They had:
-Rock Revolution :ps3: $9.97
-FF 12 Revenant Wings :ds: $11.97
-TC's R6V2 :ps3: $16.97
-a couple Wii and PS2 games. I price checked all the games and the prices were right, hopefully Revenant Wings drops soon.

[quote name='confoosious']that's awesome! But not worth the hassle since it's usually $5 everywhere else.[/QUOTE]

if its $5 somewhere else, that means itll be 50 cents.

[quote name='Bezerker']if its $5 somewhere else, that means itll be 50 cents.[/QUOTE]

less than that. I was thinking about this earlier.

If you had an ad for $5, that means you get 10% of the difference. If they have it for $60, it means you get $5.50 back on top of the price match. They owe you 50 cents. At that point, the computer and the salesperson would commit suicide though.

Kmart has Dark Sector for $5 if you really want it and can find it there.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Kmart has Dark Sector for $5 if you really want it and can find it there.[/QUOTE]

If you have a Shopko you can get it for sure on the 360 for $1.25 :applause:

[quote name='confoosious']less than that. I was thinking about this earlier.

If you had an ad for $5, that means you get 10% of the difference. If they have it for $60, it means you get $5.50 back on top of the price match. They owe you 50 cents. At that point, the computer and the salesperson would commit suicide though.[/QUOTE]

Actually the customer would commit suicide first. You have to factor in the time it takes to pull one of the 4 electronics employees away from the HDTVs, then he has to call the competitor's store and make sure it's in stock -of course that is after you explain to him the store's phone number is on the website after they ask "Do you have Best Buy's number?"

Next they have to figure out which 1 of the 19 choices on the screen they need to choose to do a price match (because the one labeled competitor's ad might not be the right choice), then you have to wait for a manager override, but before he can call a manager he has to chat with the other employees to find out who is on duty tonight.

Once the manager arrives you have to explain it is a price match and that the employee called the other store to make sure it is in stock. Next the manager ponders why it is "such a huge difference in price" and calls another member of management (or my personal favorite, the store manager who is at home) to discuss the situation and explain yet again to another person why they are changing the price.

At this point a group of electronics employees swarm the cash register to see what is going on and they all debate the authenticity of the competitor's ad and if the version of the game you are buying is in fact the same game on the same system in the ad.

After locating the ad dates and determining what the date is (not by looking at the newspaper next to them or their register tape or the computer screen or remember from the previous transactions they performed that day, but) by looking it up on their cell phone which also has the date on its home screen, yet they feel the need to bring up the phone's calendar.

The price match story is reviewed once more (for everyone present) before the manager on duty turns her key to adjust the price. You receive no sorry for the wait or any type of compassion from any employee except for the first salesperson who now feels bad / embarrassed for the ordeal we both experienced. At this point you have your car keys in hand contemplating whether you would bleed out before the ambulance arrives- and at that point would the employee be ready for your credit card...

Luckily, someone determines the reason it is not working is not because the register is broken, but because the employee hit "debit" instead of "credit". The card is swiped once again and we both stare at the screen praying like hell that the card goes through this time. As the little signature box appears we both share a smile as I write my name that looks more like a child's scribble than my signature. I then tap the "OK" button 27 times before it recognizes the electronic pen. As the receipt begins to print I think life is worth living as I hear it print, yet nothing comes out of the printer.

The crowd disperses. The manager leaves feeling a sense of self accomplishment as the employee scrambles to open the printer and "install" the register tape. After I guide him through the process, though I have never worked at Sears, he eventually offers to void the transaction and re ring the purchase, just as I bring my keys to my wrist- a "senior employee" who watched this whole process unfold shows him how to print a duplicate receipt. I stand with my keys at my wrist until I have to pull them away to grab the receipt...

Mostly true story and all for Soul Calibur 4.

[quote name='Derrick1979']If you have a Shopko you can get it for sure on the 360 for $1.25 :applause:[/QUOTE]
Unfortunately, we're not lucky in the Northeast to have anything other than Kmart, MSRPMart(WalMart), Target, Best Buy, TRU and MSRP+Mart(HH Gregg:puke:).

[quote name='slowdive21']Actually the customer would commit suicide first. ...Mostly true story and all for Soul Calibur 4.[/QUOTE]

:applause:

So damn true. Times like this, you have to question what your time and sanity is worth in search for a few bucks off.

[quote name='infini2001']March is the time when SHC-gamer became the main guy in both Sears and Kmart game divisions. What a good job he did since then.:applause:
Terrible situation for us, cheap ass gamers![/QUOTE]

SHC has put Kmart back on the court with the deals on the new games. Many weeks they have the best deals out there. As far as clearance is concerned, it came to a screeching halt, true, but I can't blame the corporate people for not wanting to give games away for $1. I think $4.97 is a very good price for most games. If you are waiting for Muramasa to drop lower than that you are not being realistic (the game is well worth it).

The really crappy games will eventually drop to $1 or 2 as they always have.

[quote name='lobito72']SHC has put Kmart back on the court with the deals on the new games. Many weeks they have the best deals out there. As far as clearance is concerned, it came to a screeching halt, true, but I can't blame the corporate people for not wanting to give games away for $1. I think $4.97 is a very good price for most games. If you are waiting for Muramasa to drop lower than that you are not being realistic (the game is well worth it).

The really crappy games will eventually drop to $1 or 2 as they always have.[/QUOTE]

The problem is not waiting for $5 games to drop to $1. The problem is the $30 games that were dropping to $15 and $10 aren't dropping any more. We have been leeching off the same batch of clearance for the past 4-5 months with nothing new added to the cycle.

Some months into this, it seems Jaysapathy's predictions have all come true.

I've worked in Advertising and Marketing for 3 pretty big retail chains and I know for a fact when a new department is formed (say a video game dept), it is run very tightly. Even though the employees might not want to admit it, it is really a "test" dept. If it fails (it's usually given a couple of years and then re-evaluated), it will fall back into the whole electronics dept instead of it being it's own individual entity.

The reason we got an abundant of clearances before was either:

#1. The GM, Buyer or Assistant Buyer didn't give 2 sh*ts about video games or peripherals. Looked at his/her screen, noticed the game is old (and taking up space) and dropped it (or didn't drop it). They had no clue that The Eye of Jugment (with camera) dropped to $15 is worth more than LIPS ($59.99).

#2. The whole electronics dept as a whole wasn't watched over very thoroughly. Most ABs (Assistant Buyers) do all the work and really do not have to "ask for permission" to drop/clearance out items. It's not cost efficient to RTV (return to vendor) video games as well as most other items. Once an item is in the store, it's there until gone (or stored in the stockroom). Some stay so long they even disappear from the inventory. Other items are what we called at one company "ghosts" (no-approval needed items you've dropped to an almost unheard of price to get rid of/be done with it). If a CEO knew you were marking down 37 inch LCD/HD TVs to $50, he would have your head on a plate. 90% of the time however, these items are gone before anyone's the wiser (hence "ghost"). It also helps their "quarterly revenue", which in turn means "bonuses" when met.

Video games/peripherals were "slipping through the cracks", but (at least for Kmart Corporate) this is not the case now. Sure, they're going to throw you a "bone" every 3-4 months (this may happen soon, since they now "monitor" this site and hear how upset some of you are), but I wouldn't expect it to be like it was (monthly-bi-monthly). Bottom line: if you see a game at a good price, grab it. You waiting for it to drop further might/might nor happen for months or ever happen (and then you have to worry about a regular consumer nabbing it before you).

[quote name='Space Cowboy YGI']Some months into this, it seems Jaysapathy's predictions have all come true.

I've worked in Advertising and Marketing for 3 pretty big retail chains and I know for a fact when a new department is formed (say a video game dept), it is run very tightly. Even though the employees might not want to admit it, it is really a "test" dept. If it fails (it's usually given a couple of years and then re-evaluated), it will fall back into the whole electronics dept instead of it being it's own individual entity.

The reason we got an abundant of clearances before was either:

#1. The GM, Buyer or Assistant Buyer didn't give 2 sh*ts about video games or peripherals. Looked at his/her screen, noticed the game is old (and taking up space) and dropped it (or didn't drop it). They had no clue that The Eye of Jugment (with camera) dropped to $15 is worth more than LIPS ($59.99).

#2. The whole electronics dept as a whole wasn't watched over very thoroughly. Most ABs (Assistant Buyers) do all the work and really do not have to "ask for permission" to drop/clearance out items. It's not cost efficient to RTV (return to vendor) video games as well as most other items. Once an item is in the store, it's there until gone (or stored in the stockroom). Some stay so long they even disappear from the inventory. Other items are what we called at one company "ghosts" (no-approval needed items you've dropped to an almost unheard of price to get rid of/be done with it). If a CEO knew you were marking down 37 inch LCD/HD TVs to $50, he would have your head on a plate. 90% of the time however, these items are gone before anyone's the wiser (hence "ghost"). It also helps their "quarterly revenue", which in turn means "bonuses" when met.

Video games/peripherals were "slipping through the cracks", but (at least for Kmart Corporate) this is not the case now. Sure, they're going to throw you a "bone" every 3-4 months (this may happen soon, since they now "monitor" this site and hear how upset some of you are), but I wouldn't expect it to be like it was (monthly-bi-monthly). Bottom line: if you see a game at a good price, grab it. You waiting for it to drop further might/might nor happen for months or ever happen (and then you have to worry about a regular consumer nabbing it before you).[/QUOTE]
It's all or nothing for me. If regular 90% off clearance prices come back, great news for me and I can start getting games at the price I WANT THEM AT. If not, then Sears and Kmart are off my radar and no longer exist to me.

Mind you, I am not their target customer with their new strategies, so they probably don't give a shit either way if they lose my business.

But I'll be sure to tell all of my family, my friends and their families that Sears & Kmart's brands are total shit and to go to elsewhere from here on out.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Mind you, I am not their target customer with their new strategies, so they probably don't give a shit either way if they lose my business. [/QUOTE]

I agree. Until I found CAG, It had been about 7 years since I stepped foot into a Sears or Kmart.

Worst part about this whole situation, in all actuality, is that SHC-Gamer and his crew have to fail and it becomes "consolidated" again. I wish this upon no one (not even my worst enemy). No worries. I can find clearanced games elsewhere.

IMO, what SHC-Gamer and his crew does is great. However, I get some what irritated by people posting about problems he simply cannot fix/do (salesperson was rude, can you mark down every game made before 2010, can you find this game for me, etc.). What sort of gets me riled up is that he (or someone in his crew) actually responds to these people (cleaning up aisles/rows and handling rude employees is the store manager's job...not his).

The sales on new release titles from SHC and crew have been pretty damn good, but the CAG in me just couldn't pull the trigger and pay real cash for those deals. Now if Kmart/Sears started up a game/electronics trade-in site or program like TRU/BB/Target/Amazon have, then I'd be in the market to pay those prices.

What irks me most about the people asking questions in the thread is that some will repeat it ad nauseam every half hour until someone answers it, even if the info is in the first post of the thread.

But that's more of a gripe of mine that's common on most of the boards on CAG and not just that one specific thread.

I have found myself going to more flea markets/thrift stores and just getting more retro games instead now that K-Mart/Sears/Target clearance doesn't exist anymore.

Toys-R-Us clearance and GoHastings used B2G1 are the only thing I have left as the Best Buy YMMVs don't exist where I live.

bread's done
Back