Official Sears Clearance Thread II - post Sears finds/deals here

They should just drop everything in the $30 "clearance" bin to $10-12. No monthly slow trickling declines causing price discrepancies and hiding of merchandise, no getting down to $1-5 for the hoarders, flippers, or employees causing loss prevention nightmares.

Still great prices for games people actually want, more likely to actually find them, too high cost to hoard compared to the trade-in margin, and the return of "Magic Fridays", only with guaranteed finds this time.

Everyone is happy, possibly even Sears itself as they will now eventually sell that entire bin of 200 $10 games for $2000 rather than trying to get lucky off a few people who don't know better and then be left with 195 $30 games and $150 profit.

Actually, typing this out just made me realize how bizarre it is that the clearance bin's selection of games is now probably triple to quadruple that of the actual "caged" games in the wall case or hanging on the pegs (depending on location) since clearance stopped in August.

Last edited by a moderator:
IATCG, when I mentioned it to the store managers it fell on deaf ears. It's not like I didn't try to follow standard procedure and jump to the corporate level.

Target's model doesn't work because Sears likely doesn't get quite the same foot traffic in the video games area that Target does. Every time I've ever been to Sears that store is pretty empty except in the clothing areas. It's not like there is someone walking by an end cap of clearance games while looking for other stuff like Target. TRU would be a better comparison because they have a carve out for games much like Sears.

We should just change the title of the thread to "No more Sears Clearence but hear IATCG talk about his precious RB6V2 stuck at 12.97, then have him yell at you."

[quote name='SHC-Gamer']Hasn't been determined yet, but the budget opens up again in Feb.[/QUOTE]

(response in regard to how much the drops will be in Feb.)

I'm kinda amazed at how this seemed to fall on deaf ears or eyes if you will...

There does seem to be a method to the madness once out of the fiscal 4th quarter it appears for the company.

Again how much these across-the-board drops will be remain a question (taking into account YMMV discretion of management), but at least there was some vague reference there to what helps determine future drops.

Beyond the "their onto us" mentallity.

Hopefully some middle road will be reached beneficial in some way to all parties.

[quote name='PhoenixAZ']IATCG, when I mentioned it to the store managers it fell on deaf ears. It's not like I didn't try to follow standard procedure and jump to the corporate level.

Target's model doesn't work because Sears likely doesn't get quite the same foot traffic in the video games area that Target does. Every time I've ever been to Sears that store is pretty empty except in the clothing areas. It's not like there is someone walking by an end cap of clearance games while looking for other stuff like Target. TRU would be a better comparison because they have a carve out for games much like Sears.[/QUOTE]
But the lack of foot traffic was the reason that Sears clearance was great and almost always ended up so cheap. If enough random normal shnook customers actually browsed the Sears gaming section AND stuff was marked properly then many of us wouldn't have the backlogs we currently do due to $2-5 games from both Sears and Kmart.

Target clearance is really hit or miss for me. I can go there one week, find 30-40 games on the endcap and have them STILL ringing up the same f'n price 3 weeks later because the managers have NO reason to mark them down because the normal customers are buying them at 15-30% off like it's the greatest deal EVER.:roll:

If not for Amazon and their Warehouse Deals I wouldn't even be buying games right now. They at least know how to discount shit to move.
[quote name='sdclippers']We should just change the title of the thread to "No more Sears Clearence but hear IATCG talk about his precious RB6V2 stuck at 12.97, then have him yell at you."[/QUOTE]
Actually I haven't even liked the Rainbow Six games since last gen with the Xbox ones. But I was just using R6V2 as an example of how totally YMMV clearance has become at Sears since the regime change and the stalling of the price drops.

Don't worry IATCG, josh aka shc corporate promised sears clearance starts again next month. We need more stories from you. All the folks here that hate your stories bring me a lot of entertainment.

[quote name='typical guy']Don't worry IATCG, josh aka shc corporate promised sears clearance starts again next month. We need more stories from you. All the folks here that hate your stories bring me a lot of entertainment.[/QUOTE]
Did I ever tell you kids how I used to walk to school? It was uphill, both ways, in the SNOW.:shock:

As far as clearance starting again, I'll believe it when I see it. I'd also like it if corporate told Sears stores that if clearance games are in a bin that has an 'extra X% off clearance' sign on it that that extra percentage SHOULD apply to EVERYTHING in it.

[quote name='Diatribal Deity'](response in regard to how much the drops will be in Feb.)

I'm kinda amazed at how this seemed to fall on deaf ears or eyes if you will...
[/QUOTE]

It didn't really fall on deaf ears, we just aren't getting our hopes up after what happened to K-Mart when the person who said it arrived (and what has happened to Sears for the past 6 months).

Don't get me wrong, we appreciate him taking the time to come into this thread and give us a heads up, but we are also torn because by definition, he is our sworn enemy in the fight to get cheap games.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']
As far as clearance starting again, I'll believe it when I see it. I'd also like it if corporate told Sears stores that if clearance games are in a bin that has an 'extra X% off clearance' sign on it that that extra percentage SHOULD apply to EVERYTHING in it.[/QUOTE]

Oh yea....like the great "clearance" or 3 year old games for 19.99....

[quote name='PhoenixAZ']Truth of the matter is the SHC people figured out that far too many employees were gaming the system internally with clearance. I myself identified a number of stores locally that were doing this and reported them to Josh in the early days and saw instant results. When I would talk to other stores about it they made it well known that those stores were stashing the clearance so it would hit the bottom price and then they would buy it and sell it or trade it somewhere. I'm not saying that is the sole reason for the change, but I am certain that it had some impact because Josh's tone changed very much regarding clearance after uncovering this.

It was a loss prevention issue, but it really exposed the loophole that they allowed those games to reach those prices automatically without anyone really paying attention.[/QUOTE]

:whistle2:#

[quote name='confoosious']You enjoy reading the same story over and over on cue like he's some sort of story telling pavlovian dog? Something's wrong with you.[/QUOTE]

I think you misunderstood him, it's responses like yours to IATCG that entertain him :)

[quote name='spedmunki']Oh yea....like the great "clearance" or 3 year old games for 19.99....[/QUOTE]

Your not mentioning it in particular but the one thing I notice in this thread is the "clearance bin". It's not really a clearance bin, it's a bin with all games 19.99 (or maybe it's 29.99 nowadays) and under in it which will most likely have some clearance games that are cheap enough to fit in with the bunch.

[quote name='FOnewearl']
Your not mentioning it in particular but the one thing I notice in this thread is the "clearance bin". It's not really a clearance bin, it's a bin with all games 19.99 (or maybe it's 29.99 nowadays) and under in it which will most likely have some clearance games that are cheap enough to fit in with the bunch.[/QUOTE]

No. I was talking about the "deal" post the SHC rep put up 1-2 months ago where games that would either have been entering or should have entered the clearance cycle (had they not stopped it) at Kmart were all reduced to 19.99 (games like Deadspace) and it was heralded as a great deal replete with grotesque gush posts from the SHC fanboys

[quote name='spedmunki']No. I was talking about the "deal" post the SHC rep put up 1-2 months ago where games that would either have been entering or should have entered the clearance cycle (had they not stopped it) at Kmart were all reduced to 19.99 (games like Deadspace) and it was heralded as a great deal replete with grotesque gush posts from the SHC fanboys[/QUOTE]

I see, those 19.99 games from a few months back at Kmart, even if they want to call them "clearance prices" they seem much more like regular price drops to me ;)

What K-Mart and Sears now call "clearance prices," we call "prices for people who don't know any better and have no idea what Amazon and Newegg are."

They are really aiming for that casual market. Unfortunately, the casual market only buys shovelware based on Nickelodeon shows or Call of Duty: , leaving all of the other games to sit there forever.

Guys, be warned, SHC is coming for you! He posted in the Kmart thread about getting hate emails on this very issue. He laughed it off, but sounds like he wants to battle! WAHAHAHAAH.

[quote name='wrencrest']he wants to battle! [/QUOTE]

ash_pokeball2.jpg

I just read the post. The 360 hard drive might have been marked down to $15 but by that point almost all stores were sold out of it because people bought it at a higher price. I didn't see it at 4 or 5 different Sears stores.

I can understand how he says charging $5 or less for most games isn't good from a business view but I miss the deal hunting, looking through the glass case and seeing a game for $4.97 that I had been waiting for to drop in price for a few months. Because clearance has been dead since the summer, there are so many old games that aren't going sell even if they get marked down to $9.97, like all the old PS2 games or 2007 and 2008 sports games. I am going into Sears or KMart way less than I used to. With KMart drops every 3 weeks, I would go to multiple KMarts a few times each month and almost always pick up something else (usually food items). Same with Sears, with the monthly drops on the first Friday, after scanning my UPC's, I would check out the clothing to see if there were any good deals.

It would be nice to see some games still be marked down to $5 or less like older games that I mentioned, just not everything.

[quote name='wrencrest']Guys, be warned, SHC is coming for you! He posted in the Kmart thread about getting hate emails on this very issue. He laughed it off, but sounds like he wants to battle! WAHAHAHAAH.[/QUOTE]
Wasnt me, I swear.8-[ I had thought about it, but I know it won't change anything so why bother.:roll:

What is currently happening at Sears doesn't make sense either though. They are drowning in stuff that isn't going to sell, and it is taking up space, which does have monetary value. The SHC crowd seems to forget that.

[quote name='ackbar7']What is currently happening at Sears doesn't make sense either though. They are drowning in stuff that isn't going to sell, and it is taking up space, which does have monetary value. The SHC crowd seems to forget that.[/QUOTE]

I was about to make a long winded post on how they could do better but then I was like, "whatever, I'm not going to tell them how to run a fucking business". Seriously, if a store has a manager that's too stupid to label and display inventory that they want to eliminate, that's their problem. I'm more than happy to take cheap stuff or wait around until the generation is over and pick up stuff I want.

Last summer when I was visiting some family in rural parts of the country I stopped at a bunch of Kmarts and Sears stores. You want to know what's fucking pathetic? They had Gameboy Advanced games still. Lots of them.

What's the point in giving advice when they have 10 year old games sitting on the shelves because they don't want to take a "loss" on them?

Agreed, my local KMart has many XBox, Gamecube and GBA games, most of which are full price still. If they were 1st party Nintendo games, I could see that they might sell but the same games have been there for years and aren't going to sell anytime soon, at least not at $19.99 - $29.99.

[quote name='wrencrest']I was just messing around guys, but he did pretty much confirm why the old clearance went away. It didnt make much business sense.[/QUOTE]

I don't follow the kmart thread, but losing shelf space on product that hasn't moved in years is not good business sense.

[quote name='ackbar7']What is currently happening at Sears doesn't make sense either though. They are drowning in stuff that isn't going to sell, and it is taking up space, which does have monetary value. The SHC crowd seems to forget that.[/QUOTE]

Yes, shelf space if the most valuable thing in a retail store. Vendors usually have to fight for it. Sears would probably do better if they moved out some of the old merchandise. It brings people into the store on a more regular basis who may also buy other items while they are there.

I don't know how people get high level jobs at companies that don't understand retail.

Thought I'd share this. Sears Essential on E. Riverside in Rockford, IL is closing. Right now, everything in store is 10%-30%. All games and game consoles are 20% off. There's several DS Lites left going for $105. PSP-3000 (2 standard piano black and 2 silver Assassin's Creed Limited Edition versions) going for $139.99 and 3 PSP Gos going for $159.99. They also had 2 playstaiton 2's sitting there. Lots of 360, PSP, PS3, Wii and DS games sitting around. No sign of when the prices will drop lower. It's been 3 weeks now at 10%-30% though.

Can't believe none of you guys talked about this. My had Punch out, Zelda Twilight, Wario Ware, but I choose to get DQIV DS instead.

[quote name='typical guy']Shc gamer said that clearance drops start again this month but I forgot to go to the store and look.[/QUOTE]
MSRP drops do NOT equal clearance price to me. Pricing games at $19.99 will be good enough for normal consumers, but for a CAG that's too high of a price and we'll just wait and hope they drop much cheaper before buying.:D

MSRP drops do NOT equal clearance price to me
I don't think we're talking MSRP here...

Pricing games at $19.99 will be good enough for normal consumers, but for a CAG that's too high of a price and we'll just wait and hope they drop much cheaper before buying.
Yeah yeah, "no true Scotsman" blah blah blah

Well then what price are these games that have been mentioned at? I know I recognize NONE of them from the prior good clearance cycle. But if some of them are the old clearance games, then good luck finding them, since they're long gone by now.

Punch Out $34.97
Lego Rock Band (360) $14.97
GH Metallica (360) $19.97
Viva Pinata TiP $11.97
Singularity (360/PS3) $19.97
Rock Band $12.97
Kung Fu Panada (360) $8.97
DJ Hero Wii/PS3 $29.99
GH5 guitar bundles Wii/PS3 $44.97

This is off the top of my head. Bin full of 360/Wii/PS3/DS/PSP.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Wasnt me, I swear.8-[ I had thought about it, but I know it won't change anything so why bother.:roll:[/QUOTE]

I thought about writing SHC gamer a hate email to but whats the point. I just hope he gets fired or moves on at some point from his job. Something needs to change. Dont really care which of the two happens :)

[quote name='mer71']Punch Out $34.97
Viva Pinata TiP $11.97
Rock Band $12.97
DJ Hero Wii/PS3 $29.99

This is off the top of my head. Bin full of 360/Wii/PS3/DS/PSP.[/QUOTE]
Wasn't GH: Metallica already a clearance game though? I could've sworn I picked up several copies of it for PS3 for other CAG's a while back. I don't recall if it was already on clearance on 360 or not around the same time, but if it was then chances are it was cheaper than $20 and they've actually RAISED the price on that one.

But most of the rest of those are ones I don't recall seeing on clearance before, so maybe there are new drops coming a bit at a time. I do understand that from a business standpoint it doesn't make sense to let stuff drop to $.50 or whatever really low price the ones last year were, but when you only see yourself, the employees and maybe 1-2 other customers in the electronics department of Sears it doesn't make sense to keep stuff at $10 forever while bringing in the newer release stuff as well.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Wasn't GH: Metallica already a clearance game though? I could've sworn I picked up several copies of it for PS3 for other CAG's a while back. I don't recall if it was already on clearance on 360 or not around the same time, but if it was then chances are it was cheaper than $20 and they've actually RAISED the price on that one.

But most of the rest of those are ones I don't recall seeing on clearance before, so maybe there are new drops coming a bit at a time. I do understand that from a business standpoint it doesn't make sense to let stuff drop to $.50 or whatever really low price the ones last year were, but when you only see yourself, the employees and maybe 1-2 other customers in the electronics department of Sears it doesn't make sense to keep stuff at $10 forever while bringing in the newer release stuff as well.[/QUOTE]

If I remember from when I worked at Sears last year only PS3 version got cleared out.

Ahhh. Then that explains it. Good to see more clearance starting up, just still wish it would drop as low as it did in some prior cycles, since the foot traffic at my closest Sears is nowhere near sufficient enough to sell off all of those games to anyone but a CAG in the know.

[quote name='irishsoccermbw']If those are all the drops, looks like it's gonna be another 4 months before I step into a Sears.[/QUOTE]

I know there was Zelda on the DS, Madagascar game on 360/PS3, Dead Space Wii....there was alot of new items in the bin. I did not take inventory all of them. I am hoping this is a return of old times at Sears. If not, no loss on my end.

[quote name='mer71']Punch Out $34.97
Viva Pinata TiP $11.97
Rock Band $12.97
DJ Hero Wii/PS3 $29.99

This is off the top of my head. Bin full of 360/Wii/PS3/DS/PSP.[/QUOTE]

Kung Fu Panda, huh.

[quote name='ackbar7']Well some of those will be interesting if they get down in the $5 range, but otherwise I will be passing on that stuff.[/QUOTE]
Actually, SHC-Gamer said a while ago(about when clearance prices froze at the current levels for the last cycle's worth of games at both Kmart and Sears) that clearance games would no longer drop to outrageously low prices and that $10 would be the lowest price they would drop to.

I'm not sure if that statement was intended to cover both Sears and Kmart clearance or just Kmart clearance, as that was the thread in which it was said.

So if you're waiting for a $5 price, then you'll have to hope that individual managers at Sears stores get sick of seeing the old games cluttering up their cases and do clearance on a store by store manual markdown basis.:cry:

Like those games at KMart that have been stuck at $5.99 since 2009 and the $1.99 and $4.97 games that have been at those prices since last March. I guess most stores are sold out of those games by now.

I was at the mall tonight and even though I knew it was the regular day for the drops, I didn't even go to Sears since I figured there was nothing there except the same few games that don't drop in price.

The funny thing is that since so many of the games in the clearance bin at my Sears have been there for years and not moving at $19.99 at up that the plastic wrap on many of the copies is ripping from being stored and handled by customers for so long. My Sears used to have one clerance bin of games that would move pretty quickly; now they have several (around five) filled with the same games that have been there for years now (who the fuck is going to buy Madden 07 at this point?)

I don't see how this debate about whether the extremely low clearance prices should continue is still going...

I strongly side with the ones who say that it just doesn't make any sense to set a final low price and never go beyond it. Sure, the initial low could be $10, but why would you forever keep that on the shelf if it's not selling? Once it's at $10 for a month or so, put it in a special bin or case and start it on it's final descent. Are you not allowed to return video games back to the manufacturer for some sort of refund like stores can for other items or something? If so just take them off and send them in... Either way not sure what the problem is. Some money is always better then no money.

my sears cant seem to sell anything. Guess it's more profitable to clutter up everything with dirty $29.99 games that nobody buys (with their cellophane falling off) than to just put stuff on clearance?

bread's done
Back