Official Trophy Thread - 4/21: Enhanced Trophy Lists Coming in Firmware 3.30

[quote name='StrandedBrit']I'm pretty sure all the new stuff will have support, it's just the devs for the old stuff don't seem to give a rip. It's a shame but understandable.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but I can see how adding trophy support can give new life, not to mention sales, to your game. look at sshd, can anyone say that they are interested in the game now, even if it didn't have trophies.

[quote name='Ugamer_X']*Wonders how long TMK is going to blame third party companies and their fancy profit margins before he admits that Sony half-assed the trophy system.*[/QUOTE]
How do you propose Sony force 3rd parties to go back and patch old games?

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']Yeah, but I can see how adding trophy support can give new life, not to mention sales, to your game. look at sshd, can anyone say that they are interested in the game now, even if it didn't have trophies.[/quote]

New life and sales, maybe .... but they have a small window of opportunity. If they can get the trophies in, in the next few months then it will be worth it. After that though most games will start incorporating them and it won't be as 'new'.

Everything so far makes sense. The games that have had updates during their life spans will be getting trophies.

If Sony doesn't want to help with the old stuff that is one thing, but if stuff like Ghostbusters and Fallout 3 lack trophies then they will officially suck in my book.

[quote name='pete5883']How do you propose Sony force 3rd parties to go back and patch old games?[/QUOTE]The problem is, Sony cannot technically force third parties developers to patch old games with trophies, because they are already out (and approved by Sony). And like I said, many developers (except a few these days) aren't too kind about continuing to support games unless they are making money or they basically aren't doing anything (most developers have moved onto new projects). Sony isn't going to tell developers you cannot support PS3 if you don't do it, because they need the third party support. I also feel what may hurt some games getting patched (especially from third parties) is that in order to release a patch, they MUST get it approved and certified to release in 2-3 regions separately (that's just how PSN works, and Sony has NO plans of every going global for reasons (I don't have the link on me for the reason)). And for some developers, going through the ENTIRE game takes takes. Testing the ENTIRE game again takes time. Getting 2-3 approvals takes time. If it was ready for retail (trophies), then it's not much of a problem.

As for DMC4, I'm not sure if I'm right here, DMC4 MIGHT not have been setup to work with patches. Some may think I'm lying, but I remember several older PS3 games and some more recent single player games cannot easily be patched (due to a developer not leaving in hooks or whatever to allow for patching). Part of the reason I know this is because the entire reason VF5 did not get online patched (or even some later Arcade stuff patched) was because the game wasn't setup for them (the game wasn't even setup to look for an online connection). DMC4 might have the setup, but I know for sure some PS3 games didn't. PSN games, even if they were not setup for patches, can be because they'll have you re-download the entire PSN game again (which is updated, like Puzzle Fighter II Turbo HD, Toy Home, etc.) to implement features.

And what Eric Lempel said was:
We are working with developers to ensure that Trophies are supported across the board in the future.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/06/30/firmware-v240-faq/

The REASON trophies are NOT mandatory right now is:
-Developers have ONLY had them in development kits since ONE month ago. When did the announcement about trophies being in development kits come?? Back in late May/Early June. There is NO way developers can get the implemented (into games that had nothing previously set) and get it fully tested in one month.
-Only SOME developers know how to utilize them (even if you give developers a set of instructions, that still doesn't technically show them how to use them, and there are developers who only speak particular languages).
-Sony (like Eric Lempel has said) is STILL in the process of going door to door to EVERYONE developer teaching them how to utilize trophies in-games. Some developers they've already taught, some still yet have to be taught. Sony has to teach developers because there might be some "imbalance" because a developer thought he could put all gold trophies (and maybe didn't include a platinum trophy in retail).

Will trophies be standard?? Most likely yes, but not until later in the year (helping hundreds of developers isn't exactly a day and night thing). Sony recently made rumble standard (once all developers got it in their development kits) which is why many newer games are starting to support it?

When will be see more games support trophies??? Most likely September, because games which are coming out in July/August (or most) have already finished production (or nearing) and are entering the testing phase. Unless a developer added their OWN achievement system in a way, a developer would have to go through the entire game again to make trophies work.

The problem is that PS3 fans demanded there be some achievement system, so they got it. Just by looking at Game Trailers, PS3 Forums, etc., I got sick of seeing a thread everyday about it for a while. I don't really care personally (I was happy being able to download game saves).
[quote name='Ugamer_X']*Wonders how long TMK is going to blame third party companies and their fancy profit margins before he admits that Sony half-assed the trophy system.*

Also, is there something special you have to do to unlock trophies in SSHD? I beat the first planet the other night in arcade mode and I did not get anything.[/QUOTE]
I rather level up then gain meaningless points. And not it's actually a pretty good idea, just came a bit late.

Did you update to 4.00? The 4.00 update for SSD HD was removed along with 2.4 update. Anyway, you haven't even got a trophy to see how cool it is.
[quote name='StrandedBrit']
If Sony doesn't want to help with the old stuff that is one thing, but if stuff like Ghostbusters and Fallout 3 lack trophies then they will officially suck in my book.[/QUOTE]I think there's a chance they'll get trophies due to being October releases (and their games aren't complete).

But seriously to everyone, would have rather have trophies implemented, even if a little late, or would you rather Sony say screw you, we are never implementing them?

This is somewhat like third party demos on the PS Store. There were no third party demos until late Feb./Early March of 2007. There wasn't a decent number of third party demos until August. The reason was Sony was working with developers to bring demos to the PS Store. Same thing about trophies, they are working with developers on implementing them. They'll come to more games, and will pretty much be standard by December/2009 (since all games coming out by then still have a ways to go in development, so it's not like it would be a pain to implement them).

PJM will most likely have support, like the developers said, but will not come until they finish Eden.

EDIT: When reading the PS3 Fanboy article, it says:
There is a tiny bit of good news though, Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix may have trophies implemented, but it will depend on "what schedules look like and what Sony's requirements are." The only real good news is future games from Capcom will all have trophies, as it has "been worked into CEI's developer contracts as a required deliverable." Have other publishers signed such a contract?
http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2008/07/05/capcom-no-trophy-support-for-devil-may-cry-4/

Adding trophies to games almost about to be released is similar to if you were almost finished with cooking dinner, and a friend asks you if you want to go out to eat for dinner. Although going out to eat for dinner will be nice, you really can't do it since you already started cooking and it's almost done. If you knew about going out to eat before you started cooking, most likely you would go out to eat. If trophies were in the development kits around the time development started, it's pretty much a guarantee they'd have trophies. Also, I do see many multi-platform games getting trophies because most devs WANT to make their game as similar to the 360 version as possible, since in no way do multi-platform games want sales to be heavily skewed in one way (they want all versions to do well). Devs have to implement achievements in 360 games, so most likely they'll implement them in the PS3 version in a similar way.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know everyone wanted Sony to get this out, but I think they just expected a little more support for trophies on day one than just one game. Same with in game music, except nothing supports it yet. I can't wait for future support, but man...there's just not much to do right now.

Also sucks for me since I procrastinated and got SSHD after Sony pulled the patch, so I can't even get those yet :(

I think Capcom's reasoning behind not giving DMC4 trophy support is extremely weak. Saying like 'we have our own trophy like system in there, it's good enough' is sorta bs.

EDIT: But from my understanding in that story, they confirm SSIV will have trophies.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Adding trophies to games almost about to be released is similar to if you were almost finished with cooking dinner, and a friend asks you if you want to go out to eat for dinner. Although going out to eat for dinner will be nice, you really can't do it since you already started cooking and it's almost done. If you knew about going out to eat before you started cooking, most likely you would go out to eat.[/quote]

Hideo, is that you?? :D

[quote name='KingBroly']I think Capcom's reasoning behind not giving DMC4 trophy support is extremely weak. Saying like 'we have our own trophy like system in there, it's good enough' is sorta bs.[/quote]

Extremely weak, indeed. It's one thing to go in and retrofit a game to recognize certain trophy conditions, but if your game already does that, I don't understand how hard it is to just layer something else on top of it.

Of course, developer time is developer time.

Here's something I don't think's been asked. What about games that will become Platinum Hits? Will those games have trophy support? I'm pretty confident Sony will mandate trophies after a while, so it begs the question will past releases (Such as Resistance, etc.) that become Platinum Hits have Trophy Support?

Any MGS4 love? Is that going to get patched? I mean, it's only the biggest PS3 game. It will be a joke if games coming out in August or September and on and on don't have trophy support. I don't think "leaving it up to developers" is a wise thing to do.

[quote name='KingBroly']Here's something I don't think's been asked. What about games that will become Platinum Hits? Will those games have trophy support? I'm pretty confident Sony will mandate trophies after a while, so it begs the question will past releases (Such as Resistance, etc.) that become Platinum Hits have Trophy Support?[/quote]

You know that would actually get me to buy a platinum hits if they do that, at least for games i really liked.

I doubt it will happen that way but could be plausible.

Is really stupid for studios not to support trophies, I bet SSHD sold a lot after been announced as the only game with trophy support for now. I bought the 2 add ons just for the other trophies

[quote name='KingBroly']Here's something I don't think's been asked. What about games that will become Platinum Hits? Will those games have trophy support? I'm pretty confident Sony will mandate trophies after a while, so it begs the question will past releases (Such as Resistance, etc.) that become Platinum Hits have Trophy Support?[/quote]

Really doubtful. Games generally dont change going from the original to platinum line. There are sometimes exceptions, like Lost Planet Colonies or DMC 3 on the PS2. Maybe if the dev wanted to pick up a few extra sales they could toss them in, but I don't see many doing it.

[quote name='Morphine']Is really stupid for studios not to support trophies, I bet SSHD sold a lot after been announced as the only game with trophy support for now. I bought the 2 add ons just for the other trophies[/QUOTE]

I bought SSHD specifically for the trophies (glad I did, it's a great game) so it's definitely working for them. Conversely, I really want to get Pixel Junk Monsters but I'm holding off until they get trophy support in there.

[quote name='jonlubbe']I wonder what the next game to support trophies will be? Eden? Something else?[/quote]
PJE will be the first unreleased game to support trophies and I imagine that it's coming out soon since the big sites have gotten a hold of the full game already from Sony.

Otherwise, you'll just have to wait for official word on trophy patches release dates.

My point about the Platinum Hits argument was that if Sony made Trophies a requirement down the line, would it mean that Trophies would be a requirement in those games, meaning that since it's the same game, trophies would be implemented in past games via update?

Capcom could put trophies in DMC4 after rereading it. But it's not a very good sign. Maybe Sony should do it if developers allowed them to.

GH's are usually just reprints of those games, so I wouldn't expect it to be a requirement to implement trophies in order to become a GH title.

I beat a planet and didn't get a trophy :(
And yes, I got 2.40, patches SSHD, and played on arcade.

But whatever, I'll try again.

Anybody got 100% on stardust yet?

I'm at 18% and i'm tempted to pick up the expansions. Fun game.. Would have never played through it again were it not for the trophies.

[quote name='Morphine']Is really stupid for studios not to support trophies, I bet SSHD sold a lot after been announced as the only game with trophy support for now. I bought the 2 add ons just for the other trophies[/QUOTE]If devs see it, I see them adding support to other games (PSN ones). Nova Strike is getting them. PJM probably once Eden ships.

[quote name='bjstucker']Is Pain getting trophies? Also when is Eden actually being released? Sorry if these have been answered.[/QUOTE]PAIN is getting trophies I hear.

I just got 3 trophies in SSHD but when I look at my "gamercard" it says I have zero.....anyone else have this problem?

[quote name='jling84']Eric Lempel stated that eventually all games will have trophy implementation. Hopefully that's true.

On another note, how the heck do you get the freaking 15 bombs in bomber mode trophy?!?![/quote]

Yeah, I hate that Bomber trophy, it should be a gold or platinum trophy, it is so hard for me at the moment.

[quote name='dembesum']I beat a planet and didn't get a trophy :(

But whatever, I'll try again.[/quote]

[quote name='pelf21']I just got 3 trophies in SSHD but when I look at my "gamercard" it says I have zero.....anyone else have this problem?[/quote]

I had a similar problem. You have to access the trophy section on the XMB and it will update your trophies.

Does anyone have the teampack for Stardust HD? Is it online co-op?

BTW, Great idea for this thread.

[quote name='Siggy Stardust HD']I had a similar problem. You have to access the trophy section on the XMB and it will update your trophies.

Does anyone have the teampack for Stardust HD? Is it online co-op?

BTW, Great idea for this thread.[/quote]
I believe it's just Local co-op.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I believe it's just Local co-op.[/QUOTE]

with the new add-on, it s an online multiplayer one right? Would you be able to get that trophy with online coop. I'm not even sure if we're getting online multiplayer?

No like Frisky said, I believe it is local only.

The new modes I think include split screen co-op (instead of single screen) and vs split screen up to 4 players. Still, all local.

[quote name='StrandedBrit']No like Frisky said, I believe it is local only.

The new modes I think include split screen co-op (instead of single screen) and vs split screen up to 4 players. Still, all local.[/QUOTE]

weak...

I think that's why they call it split-screen co-op and not online co-op. ;) I'll be getting it for the music-generation-based game mode in the add-on.

The PAIN post on the PS Blog confuses the fuck out of me because it makes it seem like the trophies are stuck to the new level DLC, either that you'll need to buy it to get the trophy update or that it's not coming out until then.

Either way, the Bionic Commando Rearmed post on the PS Blog suggests that trophies will probably be coming to the game sometime after the game's launched.

Thats too bad because i have no one else to play that would enjoy or be decent at the game. Online would make this game way more popular.

I don't think a game like SSHD would work with an online co-op mode, especially on the PS3 (majority of players lack a headest). Also, it's a really weird type of game to have online co-op in.

[quote name='dembesum']I beat a planet and didn't get a trophy :(

But whatever, I'll try again.[/quote]

Havent read all the way throught the thread yet so forgive if this has already been addressed. For those who have earned trophys but they are not showing up try leaving the game and then relaunching it, then check again for the trophy via the in game XMB.

I had the same problem and this seemed to remove the monkey wrench.

-

Being both a 360 and a PS3 owner, I am quite a bit disappointed to see a lack of support right after the release of the 2.40/2.41 update. If I'm reading this correct, only one game currently has support for trophies, and that is Super Stardust HD. Can I get a raise of hands of people who actually play this, or still play it? I mean, c'mon, Sony. Why include a feature if such a miniscule percentage of your available library supports it? I feel that they should have teased us with the trophy system, but didn't actually release support for it until a lot more games were patched to include it, or made it mandatory that any games after X date had to support trophies.

How am I supposed to brag to my friends about my kickass gaming skills when I don't even know if my favorite game will be supported by this trophy system? This kinda seems really backwards to me. In my opinion, I think Sony should have waited to include this in a future firmware update.

I have to say that the 360 achievements have certainly influenced me to hold onto and go back and play through my 360 library more times that I have with any other video game console. I hope that in the future this trophy system will be included in all PS3 games, because I think they're a really cool feature with the 360.

You've got to start somewhere and it's better to start now to get the ball rolling. It would've been nice to have more titles, but whatever, 'm just glad to have them be around now and see the support grow until every PS3 game coming out has trophies.

Plenty of people have and are still playing SSHD, with quite a few picking it up now just for the trophies. I turn it on whenever I've got nothing to really play and want something to play for anywhere from a few minutes to an hour or so. There's no need to bash a great downloadable game.

The interesting effect will be if people flock to the upcoming games that have trophy support, like the way that 360 owners literally jumped from 360 game to game in its first year that was a bit light on games to play.

I'm still waiting on a confirm/deny for MLB 08. I'm hoping it'll get trophies since its a first party game. But no answer on the MLB 08 forum from anyone yet.

I wished they would add online multiplayer to SSHD. It'll be cool to play against other people and see how you fair instead of just looking at leaderboards.

Also, I wish Konami or Kojima would at least say something about trophy support for Metal Gear Solid 4.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']The interesting effect will be if people flock to the upcoming games that have trophy support, like the way that 360 owners literally jumped from 360 game to game in its first year that was a bit light on games to play.[/quote]

If Microsoft was able to convince people to jump from game to game, even if the library, like all system launches, was filled with one or two good games and a lot of mediocre ones, then those people deserve the credit for giving the Xbox 360 such a high attach rate for games to console sales.

Anything that keeps a gamer coming back for more is a win-win situation, as long as it's not some super-expensive DLC. Too many games in my library go unplayed or unfinished, but I have to admit, I hang on to the Xbox 360 ones (and PS3 ones now) for the achievements and possible quality DLC. Anything that keeps me inspired to play again, or anything that can bring me back to playing with a fresh idea or set of levels, I'm all for!

I think if enough of us keep requesting individual game developers to release a patch for trophy support, it'll be more likely.

I'm gonna start e-mailing some requests, myself, and in each I'll explain why I don't think it's an unreasonable request (especially games also on 360). I encourage everyone else to do the same.

I'm really sad that civ rev wont have trophy support i've been reading the forum extensively from the link beside the civ rev thing here and the forum manager makes it out that civ rev will NEVER have trophy support and that sucks.:cry:

bread's done
Back