OLEVIA 37" HDTV $647.00 At Frys.com

I beleive it has a limited 1 year warranty, and you can also purchase an extended at Olevia.com

If budget is #1 consideration, then this is a great deal. This is about the same price as a regular 32" flat tube TV couple years ago!

It's not a bad deal considering that if you wanted a better brand name for that size tv it would cost about $1,000 right now unless you can catch a sale. I have heard more good things about the Olevias than bad. I personally don't think it's a bad deal at all.

Hmm...This is looking even better for me than the Westinghouse 32" at BB, because after shipping it'll be near 600, and this one's only about 660 after shipping.

Anyone know if this is a good tv or not? I'd mainly be playing the 360 on it and watching some movies and possibly a small amount of TV.

i dont think its the same model but i have an olevia 37 in lcd which is payed 999 earlier this year and that was a good deal then..

great tv and cheap.. recommended!!!

Well, I'm illiterate when it comes to HD terms, etc...but would it be a good TV for gaming? also with all the 1080p, 720 stuff? Widescreen, 3:4? If you can't tell I have no idea what I'm talking about so I'm going to throw myself at the mercy of those more informed.

thx

bottom line its a great bang for the buck.. no way im spending more than 2k on a tv anyways right now...

mines had hdmi and everything. up to 1080i/720p and has vga

for all i know this is a newer model than mine.. mine has built in hd tuner though..

this caught my eye:

* FutureProof™-User upgradeable firmware via USB to add features, keep current
????

SpecialK: It doesn't do 1080p, just 1080i. It is fanTAAASTIC for gaming. I bought 2 of the same TV at Microcenter for 500 each on BF. I have my 360 on it and it looks great. Movies is awesome too.

guyver2077: It lets you hook up the TV to the computer via USB and update the firmware.

If you're going to get the TV, don't let Cust Rep talk you into buying cables. Cables at retail store prices is ridiculously overpriced. Why pay $50-100 for HDMI cables when you can pick up a 15ft one over at Monoprice.com for less than $10? They carry component cables as well. Great store.

If you're going to get the TV, don't let Cust Rep talk you into buying cables. Cables at retail store prices is ridiculously overpriced. Why pay $50-100 for HDMI cables when you can pick up a 15ft one over at Monoprice.com for less than $10? They carry component cables as well. Great store.

so 1080p and 1080i, what will i be missing (if anything) if i don't have 1080p?

also, is it good for just watching movies etc? will widescreen movies look decent on it?

yea 1080i is great.... i dont plan on getting 1080p anytime soon....

also that i know of my tv doesnt have any usb connection whatsoever to update... weird

monoprice is recommended as well!! man kinda wish i woulda waited a little longer before jumping on my tv earlier this year... ive enjoyed the hell out of it though so whatever..

Is it true that you would have clearer image quality with plasma screens instead of lcds? Im a bit confused as to what I should be looking at buying. Mainly I want a tv to play my wii on, watch dvds with an upconverting dvd player, as well as watch tv (non hdtv currently). It says the max resolution is 1366 x 768 is that the norm for plasma/lcds? I usually game on my pc at 1280 x 1024 so this is a bit new to me... any help would be appreciated.

[quote name='specialk']so 1080p and 1080i, what will i be missing (if anything) if i don't have 1080p?

also, is it good for just watching movies etc? will widescreen movies look decent on it?[/QUOTE]

On a 37" TV, sitting 5-6 ft. away you probably won't notice any difference between the two. The real gains of 1080p for home theatre use only come into play with a screen size of about 45+ inches IMO, you'd have to be a strong videophile with an extremely keen eye to catch the differences in real time from anything more than a foot in front of a smaller TV.

It will be fine for watching movies too, just keep in mind that because it is widescreen TV it may not be filled by the movie depending on the aspect ratio (this is true of all widescreen TVs).

Olevia is a decent brand too, especialy at this price. The one downside to this and other Olevia TVs is they are very slim on connections compared ot the more expensive competetion and some of them (like this one here) don't have built in tuners, which if you have cable or satellite doesn't really matter anyways.

[quote name='specialk']so 1080p and 1080i, what will i be missing (if anything) if i don't have 1080p?

also, is it good for just watching movies etc? will widescreen movies look decent on it?[/QUOTE]

It's mainly resolution. 1080p is 1920 x 1080; while 1080i is 1920 x 540. I don't think 1080p is all that important for TVs under the 40+ inch mark. 720p is perfectly fine for things under that.

I don't have a HD-DVD player but I spent some time watching movies under 480p on component via 360 and it looks great. 5th Element Superbit edition was jaw dropping.

ok so thats the diff.. my olevia has built in tuners...Is there a way to watch hd channels via cable with the reglar coaxial?

i never read up on why i have to coaxial inputs/ antenna and dtv i think.. whats the dtv for?

For the things you want to do it doesnt sound like you need 1080p set.. especially not for a wii... if you dont have too much cash then i sill suggest this set.. im not a fan of upconverting dvd players as im spoiled with my hd dvd drive which looks great on this tv at 1080i

[quote name='BasketCase1080']Is it true that you would have clearer image quality with plasma screens instead of lcds? Im a bit confused as to what I should be looking at buying. Mainly I want a tv to play my wii on, watch dvds with an upconverting dvd player, as well as watch tv (non hdtv currently). It says the max resolution is 1366 x 768 is that the norm for plasma/lcds? I usually game on my pc at 1280 x 1024 so this is a bit new to me... any help would be appreciated.[/QUOTE]

Not necessarily clearer, it all kind of depends on the make/model but historically plasmas can reproduce some colors better especially deep colors than LCDs. However there are some things that affect plasmas that don't affect LCDs, put simply choosing between the 2 is a bit of a double edged sword.

That resolution is standard of most LCDs anymore (unless it's a 1080p set), the resolution you are used to for PC gaming is pretty standard for computer montiors, but it is a fullscreen resolution which is probably why it has more vertical lines (the 2nd number) in the resolution.

For your needs Basketcase, unless you really desire a TV bigger than 34" or are short on space, I'd actually say you should get a CRT (the big fat suckers) HDTV. Honestly that's not very future proof at all (it'll probably be outdated in a year or two), but because you really aren't hooking up a true HD source to the TV yet, and sometimes non-HD sources particurly SD TV signals, can look worse on a projection, LCD, plasma, etc. HDTV than on a CRT set.

I got the 26" olevia last year on bf and it does 1080i. Just have to say i love the tv, doubles as my computer monitor. I would highly recommend it.

What Duo said. Plasma can produce better color and deeper blacks but it's also easier to get burn-in on one than a LCD.

[quote name='guyver2077']ok so thats the diff.. my olevia has built in tuners...Is there a way to watch hd channels via cable with the reglar coaxial?

i never read up on why i have to coaxial inputs/ antenna and dtv i think.. whats the dtv for?

For the things you want to do it doesnt sound like you need 1080p set.. especially not for a wii... if you dont have too much cash then i sill suggest this set.. im not a fan of upconverting dvd players as im spoiled with my hd dvd drive which looks great on this tv at 1080i[/QUOTE]

If you have a NTSC/ATSC tuner yeah. You can buy a antenna and grab HD channels via OTA. If you have a QAM tuner also, you can view unscrambled DTV (Digital) channels.

Im really cconsidering getting this now, however I have one quick question... Since it is a widescreen television how does it handle regular cable broadcasts? Is the stretch noticeable? also when watching a widescreen dvd would it simply look as if it was fullscreen on the television? Would I have to go under any options to change it to fill the screen with a widescreen dvd?

Oh, one more thing... is the cable is on the tv and is unstretched where do the black bars go? The side or the bottom/top? Is this annoying at all?

One thing to know about the 3-series Olevia TV. It's not an on-site warranty, it's a swap-out warranty, so you're paying for return shipping on the TV if there's a problem with it.

Direct link to the 337H's product page:
http://www.olevia.com/jsp/products/detail.jsp?pid=337h

Also, the 2nd component input is a VGA input, not a R/G/B component input.

The 537H is the one I bought from JR.com on BF for $699 + shipping, and it comes with 3 component inputs (2 R/G/B + VGA), and that one comes with an on-site warranty. I've seen the 537H in-store and it's a great looking set, IMHO.

[quote name='BasketCase1080']Im really cconsidering getting this now, however I have one quick question... Since it is a widescreen television how does it handle regular cable broadcasts? Is the stretch noticeable? also when watching a widescreen dvd would it simply look as if it was fullscreen on the television? Would I have to go under any options to change it to fill the screen with a widescreen dvd?

Oh, one more thing... is the cable is on the tv and is unstretched where do the black bars go? The side or the bottom/top? Is this annoying at all?[/QUOTE]

The TV has a few options. 1:1, Aspect, Full Screen, Panoramic, Zoom 1, Zoom 2.

1:1 is just that. Doesn't fill the screen unless the source does.

Aspect scales the source up until either H or V is maxed out.

Full screen fills vertically and streches horizontally. Sometimes it's noticable sometimes it's not.

Panoramic sucks. It takes the aspect of the source and just lightly streches the image until it fills the screen. The problem is that the sides where the black bars used to be has a weird magnification distortion.

Zoom 1 It fills the screen horizontally and clips some of the top and bottom.

Zoom 2 does the same except it's zoomed in more so it clips all sides.

For SDTV stuff, I recommend setting the TV at Aspect or Zoom 1. I prefer Zoom 1 myself. It's only annoying when you're watching SD sports cause you can't really see the info bar.

[quote name='orochi']If you have a NTSC/ATSC tuner yeah. You can buy a antenna and grab HD channels via OTA. If you have a QAM tuner also, you can view unscrambled DTV (Digital) channels.[/quote]

yea my olevia has a ntsc/atsc tuner...i have basic cable/ no digital receiver right now...

so dtv is only if i have a tuner of sorts?

where can i get this antenna fo ota hd channels? expensive? is it even worth it for free local tv channels?

Ok, I really appreciate all you guys have helped...

Since this has no built in tuner, what exactly does that mean? (People have referenced it, but again I'm clueless)

I'm really considering this, anyone have any other options that might be comparable/better?

[quote name='specialk']Ok, I really appreciate all you guys have helped...

Since this has no built in tuner, what exactly does that mean? (People have referenced it, but again I'm clueless)

I'm really considering this, anyone have any other options that might be comparable/better?[/quote]

I'm wodering pretty much exactly what you are.

Since it has no tuner, that means you'd need a tuner for watching HD Porgramming on TV, but not for games, right?

The tuner is ONLY important if you don't plan to get cable/satellite for HD programming. The tuner is so you can get HDTV via OTA (Over The Air). You just need any regular old antenna, aka the old school rabbit ears. Like so. Keep in mind that a lot of good shows lately is free via OTA HD, like Lost, Heroes, 24 (If you can tune Fox). Those shows alone I think is worth it. And it's FREE anyways. ;) Visit http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx for more info as well as a listing of available HD channels near you.

guyver: I think you can still get some DTV as long as you have a ATSC tuner w/o a set-top box.

[quote name='orochi']The tuner is ONLY important if you don't plan to get cable/satellite for HD programming. The tuner is so you can get HDTV via OTA (Over The Air). You just need any regular old antenna, aka the old school rabbit ears. Like so. Keep in mind that a lot of good shows lately is free via OTA HD, like Lost, Heroes, 24 (If you can tune Fox). Those shows alone I think is worth it. And it's FREE anyways. ;) Visit http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx for more info as well as a listing of available HD channels near you.

guyver: I think you can still get some DTV as long as you have a ATSC tuner w/o a set-top box.[/quote]

Wait.. so for example, that website shows fox and abc and some other decent channels pretty close to my house. I just need to buy a antenna and I can get these channels free? I'm pretty confused :lol:

whats the distortion if I use a vcr tuner to watch cable on an hd ready tv? I ask this because for now its fine since I have digital cable and an hd receiver in my room, however, once I move out on my own I will only have basic cable/ no box. Any input?

[quote name='BasketCase1080']whats the distortion if I use a vcr tuner to watch cable on an hd ready tv? I ask this because for now its fine since I have digital cable and an hd receiver in my room, however, once I move out on my own I will only have basic cable/ no box. Any input?[/QUOTE]

It won't look good at all if you use a coaxial cable connection so avioud that, if the VCR has a component video output for the tuner try to use that. Some cable companies also offer sort of an inbetween option for basic and digital cable. They'll probably call it enhanced cable or the like. Essenitally you get a digital cable box with a more basic channel lineup than real digital cable and fewer features (like no on demand service, fewer channels, no interactive program guide, no music channels, etc.) but it costs less. So that may be another route to consider if your service provider offers such an option.

[quote name='orochi']
guyver: I think you can still get some DTV as long as you have a ATSC tuner w/o a set-top box.[/quote]

just for giggles i connected the coaxial to the dtv input and the only thing that comes up on the screen is scan for channels????

i heard stories about lcds having problems playing games such as guitar hero 2 in respect to it havign a slight delay. Is this normal?

[quote name='BasketCase1080']i heard stories about lcds having problems playing games such as guitar hero 2 in respect to it havign a slight delay. Is this normal?[/QUOTE]

I play Wii/PS3/XB360 on the 32" version($550),I havent had any lag problems with Marvel vs Capcom 2 or halo 2(both fast games). I plan to return it to Compusa if I can get the 37" here.

[quote name='Michaellvortega']I play Wii/PS3/XB360 on the 32" version($550),I havent had any lag problems with Marvel vs Capcom 2 or halo 2(both fast games). I plan to return it to Compusa if I can get the 37" here.[/QUOTE]

I really want this tv, however, is there a frys in Mil-town? I guess shipping doesnt kill the deal, but if i had a store where I could return the item (given a problem) thatd be great.

[quote name='BasketCase1080']I really want this tv, however, is there a frys in Mil-town? I guess shipping doesnt kill the deal, but if i had a store where I could return the item (given a problem) thatd be great.[/QUOTE]

Im most likely dumb... is frys an online only store? I just want to know what type of waranty policy this has, anyone know?

1 year parts and labor. For the 32 and 37 you can take it to a TV repair shop and olevia will foot the bill, for the 42 Olevia will send someone out to your house. You can buy more coverage from olevia directly. $159 for 2 total years coverage or $189 for 4 years total coverage(prices for the 37")

The only game that I've experience some lag is just the Guitar Hero games. I tried playing via my computer's TV tuner on a 20" LCD. I can play by watching the note and playing the rhythm of the song. I'm going to guess maybe it's cause of the refresh rate and that maybe 60hz isn't enough? I dunno. I never had issues on my CRT. Haven't tried my 337H yet. I need to find PS2 component cables.

[quote name='guyver2077']just for giggles i connected the coaxial to the dtv input and the only thing that comes up on the screen is scan for channels????[/QUOTE]

Did you try scanning to see if you can pick up any channels? it might pick up something.

[quote name='orochi']Did you try scanning to see if you can pick up any channels? it might pick up something.[/quote]

couldnt figure out how to scan for channels

[quote name='Raikoh']So, overall, is this t.v. really worth it? Still contemplating on this.[/QUOTE]

For me, it is. But then again, I got it for 500 locally so if I had probs I can return and exchange if needed. Even at the current Fry price, I will still jump on it, knowing what I do now with the TV. Alas, it is also my first LCDTV but for whatever it's worth, I love the TV that I got.

[quote name='orochi']For me, it is. But then again, I got it for 500 locally so if I had probs I can return and exchange if needed. Even at the current Fry price, I will still jump on it, knowing what I do now with the TV. Alas, it is also my first LCDTV but for whatever it's worth, I love the TV that I got.[/QUOTE]

so wait, you have this exact model? Care to comment on the picture quality? I hate going into stores and looking at a screen since they always look awful! Is this because they have the same thing playing on all the screens that the quality looks so poor??

[quote name='BasketCase1080']so wait, you have this exact model? Care to comment on the picture quality? I hate going into stores and looking at a screen since they always look awful! Is this because they have the same thing playing on all the screens that the quality looks so poor??[/QUOTE]

Most places have the TV's looking shitty because they have them running on multi splitters. Try a high end TV store for the best viewing, They should have a Flanners near you.

Anywho I ordered the 37" and gave the 32" to my grandmother.

I have the 26 in Olevia and just bought a 37 in Viore (???) for $700 on BF. I will never, after buying these two "cheap" brands, buy a name-brand TV. I am incredibly happy with both.

I have nothing bad to say about the Olevia and only complaint on the Viore is a very slight buzz it emits when scenes are heavy in blacks.

People who proudly stand by their $1500 Sharps and Sonys are nuts as far as I'm concerned.

[quote name='ICEPICC']WORTH $499.99 ??

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=203533407&adid=17281&dcaid=17281

what do you think?

What is BF??[/QUOTE]

bf = black friday (day after thanksgiving)

This 37inch tv has been on sale at different online stores as well.
buydig.com had it for 699 but now are sold out and not even listing it for sale.
tiger direct had it for 699 or 749 with a 50.00 rebate but TD sucks with rebates.

So i guess there clearing it for a newer model thats coming soon.

But it seems to be a KICKASS deal. If i didnt just buy a elcheapo 29inch sdtv for 300 6 months ago i would be buying this tv no questions about it.

bread's done
Back