One and Only "____ is wrong with my Wii" General Questions/Help Topic.

[quote name='crunchewy']Does anyone have a problem with the Wii creating circular scratches on their discs? By that I mean that the scratch goes around the disc, and clearly was put there as the disc rotated. We've had 3 games ruined by this (give "disc read" errors"), most recently Wii Sports Resort which we just got for xmas. We haven't bumped the system at all, yet this has happened. It's not all the time, but it clearly is happening. I've tried using the (official) cleaning disc, and of course cleaning the disc itself, without luck. I presume the disc read error is happening due to these scratches.[/quote]

That really stinks :( I haven't heard of that happening with the Wii (my first Wii's drive died though), but it's semi-common with the Xbox and sounds like exactly the same thing. I've got my Wii flat now but I had it standing upright before too (put it flat just because the new one is making the same weird-dying sounds my first one did).

Personally I've long thought if a system ever physically wrecked my disc I'd dump it.

[quote name='shinryuu']I'm getting weird pixels/artifacts showing up on the screen now. Is that the whole GPU is screwed up thing? It's not permanent though. They disappear and reappear every few minutes. The Wii is about 3 years old now, so I doubt it's still under warranty. Would the best solution be to buy a new Wii?[/quote]

Yep, that sounds like a dying GPU. If you can stand how it looks you can probably keep using it until it goes completely, but be sure to back up your saves. (Personally I'd unplug it when you leave your home too, just because I've seen a GPU actually emit smoke/smells after doing that :lol:)

I don't think I really noticed it when it was through composite... the colors look kinda washed out too. The cables are the official Nintendo ones too. =p

I doubt it's the cables but maybe composite doesn't have the resolution to display the artifacts yet (although probably it's just a coincidence).

Today I was able to put in a repair request. Haven't received the printable label yet. I'm going to send it out on Monday and hope for the best. What sucks about the Wii is that buying a replacement console isn't an option since there's no way to move your downloadable games and even many save files from one to another. Grrr. I really hope they get that right with the next Nintendo console.

They really need to fix that. I lost over $100 on my last Wii, and obviously I'm not using their download service anymore.

My cursor literally jumps ALL over the screen. If I get to the edge of the screen (clicking on the Wii Shop Channel or Game Channel) it is either impossible to click on or it is so jumping it is extremely difficult. What the heck is going on?

One obvious suggestion is to make sure the batteries are good. I notice that my cursor gets jittery if the batteries are going dead. (And even if the Wii remote gauge shows 2 or more lights, I would still try putting in fresh batteries to see if the problem improves.)

Mine doesn't change regardless of battery strength. IR control's terrible though, although usually smoother than that...but not sometimes with sunlight (queue "play it in the dark" suggestions :roll: :lol: )

[quote name='schuerm26']My cursor literally jumps ALL over the screen. If I get to the edge of the screen (clicking on the Wii Shop Channel or Game Channel) it is either impossible to click on or it is so jumping it is extremely difficult. What the heck is going on?[/QUOTE]

1) Insert fresh batteries into the remote.

2) Try a different remote. Perhaps the camera is malfunctioning somehow?

3) Make sure there aren't any other light sources in view of the remote that would be "confusing" it.

4) If all else fails you can get a different sensor bar. Supposedly some of the wireless ones are supposed to be stronger the official one.

The Wii remotes are very susceptible to other light sources. Note that the "sensor bar" doesn't sense anything - it's just two points of light, and the Wii remotes are looking for that. Something that will really send the remotes reeling is... a lit up Christmas tree right next to your TV! We run into this problem every year, but unfortunately there's no where else to put the tree. So we turn off the tree when playing the Wii. Even with that, we have problems with light coming into two small windows, one above and left of the TV and one above and right of the TV. If you can move your TV to a location that has no windows or other sources of strong or point light behind it, you'll be in remote heaven.

Hope it's not the beginning of the end for my Wii. It crashed for the first time since I bought it on launch day. Made a nasty noise, and froze while playing Hasbro Game night. Had to manually reset it, and everything seems okay now.

Knowing consoles, though, it's probably the first sign of failure to come.

[quote name='Wolfpup']They really need to fix that. I lost over $100 on my last Wii, and obviously I'm not using their download service anymore.[/QUOTE]

i thought they did fix that by allowing you to save the downloaded games directly to your sd card, or am i missing something?

also my wii is fine if i have a game disc in the console and start it up, but if i eject the disc to put in a different game, the drive sounds awful, really loud. i have to turn off the console, and come back to it later, and usually the console is nice a quiet again. any thoughts? i would just buy another one, rather than pay to have it fixed, since it is long outside of its warranty, but because of the posts above, i do not want to lose any VC content.

[quote name='ctrek3']i thought they did fix that by allowing you to save the downloaded games directly to your sd card, or am i missing something?[/quote]

All that did is apparently let you run some games from an SD card (before you had to copy them back first). They still haven't fixed it so you can move content to a different system.

also my wii is fine if i have a game disc in the console and start it up, but if i eject the disc to put in a different game, the drive sounds awful, really loud. i have to turn off the console, and come back to it later, and usually the console is nice a quiet again. any thoughts?

Hmm...mine didn't do that when it died, but it did "clunk" and sound like it was trying to rescan. Got worse and worse. But it does sound like the drive's dying on yours too.

i would just buy another one, rather than pay to have it fixed, since it is long outside of its warranty, but because of the posts above, i do not want to lose any VC content.

That's the really crappy thing. No way to I want a refurb. So I've just given up on their download service unless they fix it :(

Bah, my Wii keeps overheating. It's done it before, with the fan not spinning. I fixed that myself, but now it's doing it again, even with a second fan on the back (Broken PoS now...) I can't send it to Nintendo without paying, which I'd rather not. Darn it...

Yeah well I've had that "pixel" problem for over 2 years now and the Wii still runs. Though it probably doesn't help that I hardly use my Wii, infact It's only going on because of NMH2 and Capcom vs.

So even with my Wii VC game downloaded onto my SD card I can't bring it over other peoples Wii or a new one? Seriously? Because when my Wii dies hopefully the Wiis are down to $150, and I was planning on getting a Black Wii (By 2011 they should be out, and I'm sure the Wii will be $150 or packed in with some extra stuff?)

Yep, it's permanently locked to one Wii. Really pisses me off, given the number of games on there I'd love to get :(

I wish there was something we could do to get Nintendo to fix it so it's like Microsoft's or whatever.

Yeah It's really stupid then and probably why I won't sell my NES collection to download virtua console games.

Hell, the company who made Double Dragon for XBLA went bankrupt, yet I can still get a new 360 and re-download the full version to any XBox despite it being delisted. Theres no reason Nintendo shouldn't be able to do something similiar with the Wii. Same with Steam.

That and the locked saves piss me off but luckily I won't go back to those games with the exception of Mario Kart.

Dang, I didn't know Double Dragon had been delisted! That is WEIRD. That's a classic. (Like a lot of games though I like the NES version better in retrospect.)

Yeah...locked saves suck too. All three systems have had them, but the Wii seems most common. Really hate all of that, particularly since with Epic Mickey and Sakaguchi's next game (?!) the Wii has pretty much become a necessity for me :whistle2:/

got my busted wii back today. No save data was saved. Everyone tip the bottle for my 500 pokemon.

Anyway-- i have all my VC games and saves on an SD card, but the system won't recognize them. What gives?

Does it see them but just not let you run them? If so it's probably counted as a different system. If it can't see the card at all, make sure your computer can. Maybe try another card if you have one. But baring that could be a dead SD slot.

[quote name='nbballard']got my busted wii back today. No save data was saved. Everyone tip the bottle for my 500 pokemon.

Anyway-- i have all my VC games and saves on an SD card, but the system won't recognize them. What gives?[/QUOTE]
so bad, i also encountered the same problem

[quote name='mickeyp']I sent my wii in for repair, they just got it today. I hope it comes back fast. I hope my saves are safe.[/QUOTE]

They won't be. :(

Sorry.

Probably depends on if you get a different refurb, or it's got a new...whatever the heck it is that stores it's serial number, etc. :whistle2:/

I've gotten all my data transferred over to another Wii three times now, but my situation was a bit different and I took the console there myself.

They had to send me a new one, and none of my saves are on it. My son is soo upset he does not even want to play the wii! Any suggestions? I have a memory card with some of my saves.

Hopefully the saves you could back up to that SD card will work on the new system too, but other than that there's nothing you can do besides start over.

Darn, that sucks. I'm angry about even putting DRM on SAVE FILES :whistle2:/

NEVER had that until the new batch of systems.

Kinda cute avatar!

hey guys, really need help here..after a week of my kid busting me for Toy Story 3, I finally got it on the Wii last night from Best Buy. Wanting to try it myself, I decided to test it out before he got to play it. The game frooze at the first loading screen during the first mission! Very odd I thought b/c my Wii has never frozen. Had to hold down the power button (no buttons on wii-mote did anything, so it was a hard freeze) and went right back into the game. This time it freezes again at an automatic save point..frustration level started rising. During all this, the disc drive is making noises and doesn't stop. However, I seem to notice this on all games since GhostSquad, so I figure no big deal. Well, I eject the disc and it's really hot..OK, so I go a third time, this time it freezes again at another loading screen!! One more time, freeze..

So, I figure it could be a bad batch of discs right? Even though said disc is blemish free and obviously brand new. So, this morning I try it out with him, of course froze on a load screen. I promptly took the game back to a different BB to exchange for another Wii copy. Got pretty weird looks, but I was being honest and they swapped it. So, I get home tonight, new disc and all gets thru the loading right (finally on the second level) well this time it freezes in game! And the sound locked up too, so it's was just a high pitch squeal..

My wife said try another game, so I played SMG 2 for 20 minutes with no problems and had a great time. Went back to TS3, FROOZE!! So I'm asking for help b/c I don't know if I need to fight to have BB exchange it for a PS3/X360 copy, or contact the manufacturer?? I'm willing to get serious YouTube footage and tweet the hell out of this problem. It seems like the game is just glitchy..

However, if it's not, I may need to prepare myself that my launch day Wii is out the door? :cry: I really hope not..it's entire life it has been vertical, I just set it flat last night, but didn't help. I hope someone replies..thanks in advance :)

[quote name='token2k6']hey guys, really need help here[/QUOTE]

Is your Wii connected to the Internet? Have you ever done a system update?

That would be the first thing to check. Nintendo had a system update last month, but unless you are connected to the Web and regularly digging thru the online store, you would not have been prompted to do the update. If your older games play, but not your newer ones, this is a likely culprit.

Good luck!

oh yeah, I got 4.3 when it came out and I think TS3 prompts for it anyway..

Situation got soooooo worse..I called DIS yesterday morning as soon as they got in. Rep tells me someone else had this same issue, but on their THIRD disc, they had no more problems. So I got a 3rd copy from BB, get home and of course it freezes during a load and then an auto-save. At this point my 4 year old was saying, "daddy, I hope it doesn't freeze again" that was a tough thing to hear from him b/c he doesn't understand! then the game glitched to where an enemy got stuck on screen and I lost the ability to jump and throw balls..

so IDK know what the hell the deal is. I put in HOTD:OK b/c I know that game requires loading almost ever 2-seconds and it was fine. This TS3 game on the Wii is just bad news for me I guess. I wonder if it is b/c I have a launch system and god forbib maybe they only tested it on shiny new black ones they got for free..

It was weird too when I went to delete the game save file from the Wii HDD, when backing out to the Wii menu it frooze. So there are still lingering feelings that the console could be going out, but I seriously doubt it..anyways, I'm done w/ it, freeze total around 15 times for a game that is selling like hotcakes and sold out everywhere, I can't believe i'm part of 2 people out of millions with this problem..

This is a thread that I made but I'm having trouble with my Wiimote.

"I've been borrowing a wii from a friend and just got around to playing it. I decided to pop in wii sports to try out the tennis game, but however the wiimote is not working. I hope it's not some little fix I forgot to do. Everything works fine within the wii. It can read where I point and the sensor bar is on top of my TV. (SDTV btw.) Everything works fine, but when I go into wii sports and go to the tennis game. I try to serve by flicking up but it doesn't read any motion whatsoever. If I press A my Mii will toss up the ball but nothing else works. It doesn't seem to read any motion that I put into it. Any help is appreciated!

edit: also, tried out the baseball game, the Mii just kept swinging and swinging and wouldn't stop. I made sure that the jacket wasn't pressing any buttons down or that they were jammed but the thing still kept swinging over and over. For bowling, the guy just raises his arm when you press B but throws the ball backwards because it's not reading the movement. :("

I've also tried replacing batteries, trying to hit it a little, and resyncing.

Ok I have no error codes just two lines of static that go from the top to bottom of my screen when the Wii is on. (they are widely spaced and relatively thin). I have switched A/V cables with no fix.

The really odd thing is, if the Wii is on and I flip the "channel" to the TV or the 360/PS3, I still have the lines. Turn the Wii off they go away. I have also tried diff A/V ports on my TV and in my box that all the cables go into (I just had a brain fart and can't remember what it is called)

What is up with that?

[quote name='orbit18']This is a thread that I made but I'm having trouble with my Wiimote.[/QUOTE]

I would first relocate your sensor bar under your TV--that might fix it. That works for lots of folks actually.

If you only have one Wiimote, go buy a backup--some Kmarts still have the Nyko Action Packs for $19.99, which come with a better than decent Nyko Wand and a digital gun grip--they are really well made and you won't regret the purchase. The Nyko Wand works with Plus, and it fits all standard accessories.

Beyond that, I would try spraying some canned air into the cracks around your buttons to see if you get any results--make sure to hold the air can upright and to not spray too long, otherwise you will freeze the interior components, and that will introduce moisture.

Last, I would try and open the Wiimote, to see if there is some dirt in there--I've never opened one, but you might find disassembly instructions via The Google. Your likely no longer under warranty, so go for it--just get your Nyko Wand back-up first.

Good luck, and be sure to post back here so we know how it went.

Can someone refer me to the specific post to address the following issue and/or walk me through what needs to be done:
Wii has something jammed in the disc drive, likely a DVD or Wii game. My kid must have jammed it. Tried unplugging for 30 minutes, then flipping so drive is facing floor and spamming eject. I get the noise that it's trying to eject, but it just repeats a couple times then stops. Possibly two DVD's in the tray? What is warranty procedure if I cannot fix?

Why not open it up and remove the DVDs manually. Its fairly simple to open up and you wont void your warranty (coming from experience)
There are tons of places that show how to open it up. Any one can do it. It would be faster then sending it in.

VGM out...

Just an FYI to anyone worried about paying $75 for a repair- make a Club Nintendo account and register your console. You will receive an extra 90 day warranty. I got mine day one and yesterday it crapped out, but with the warranty extension I'm mailing it in today for no cost.

I have a Wii remote with a broken '2' button. Is it worht cracking it open to take a look or just buy a new one?

I familiar with old school NES/SNES controllers but not sure what the inside of a Wii remote looks like.

-Ultra

Anyone know where to get cheap component cables for the Wii? I know there are some other brands but I'm worried they aren't going to be very good. Please suggest some cheap / good quality component cables for me.

When you send your Wii to Nintendo, do you need to send the entire package-- wires included-- or just the Wii console itself?

[quote name='SuperPhillip']When you send your Wii to Nintendo, do you need to send the entire package-- wires included-- or just the Wii console itself?[/QUOTE]

Just the console.

Okay, I am having some serious issues with my Wii. Hopefully some of you can shed light into what may be going on and what can be done to resolve it. When I try to turn it on, nothing comes on. The Wii is on, but my tv keeps saying no signal. I do notice that while my system is off it gets hot. Since I first got it I was always concerned about that. I figure that it may be having some overheating issues, so I disconnect the power for a bit. After a while the there is finally a signal, but while navigating through the channels and what not it freezes up quite a bit. Right now it has run a good hour finally without freezing but I would say it froze up a good four to five times before it got to this point. While this isn't a launch system, I did manage to snag this one maybe a couple of months later so this is an older model, meaning if it needs to be sent in I will have to pay. This is a big concern for me because I have several VC/WW games downloaded and I've heard they can only be attached to one system, which is dumb. Thanks in advance for any info anyone can provide.

The heat when powered off issue is that you still have it receiving those messages and whatnot from Nintendo. It was a concern with a lot of people. It can be shut off in the menus, but obviously, you won't receive messages when the console is powered off.

As far as freezing up...you don't have it modded, right? How ventilated is the area? Might also be worth clearing the vents if they're covered.

If it keeps up, it prolly would have to be sent to Nintendo.

[quote name='Rig']The heat when powered off issue is that you still have it receiving those messages and whatnot from Nintendo. It was a concern with a lot of people. It can be shut off in the menus, but obviously, you won't receive messages when the console is powered off.
[/QUOTE]

I think that is what finally kiled my Wii and fried my memory and the system files. I always remember to do a full shut down to avoid overheating. I forgot sometime last week for the first time and after booting up yesterday, it was the end of it. I used to leave it on all day with the Smash Brothers disc spinning but while it was on the fan was fully spinning, no problems back then.

[quote name='mickeyp']Just the console.[/QUOTE]
So I should really remember to pull out that SD card before shipping mine I'm guessing. I've read I should be able to keep my Wii Points but I'm not looking forward to seeing if my save files are still around. 20 hours into Okami and Little Kings Story would probably kill my drive to continue those games to finish them up.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Rig']The heat when powered off issue is that you still have it receiving those messages and whatnot from Nintendo. It was a concern with a lot of people. It can be shut off in the menus, but obviously, you won't receive messages when the console is powered off.

As far as freezing up...you don't have it modded, right? How ventilated is the area? Might also be worth clearing the vents if they're covered.

If it keeps up, it prolly would have to be sent to Nintendo.[/QUOTE]

My system is not modded. It currently sits atop of a DVD player laying flat. Ventilation doesn't seem to be an issue, but I will check the vents. I'm just hoping it doesn't die on me. I honestly don't even use it that much.

[quote name='ibelongtohalo']My system is not modded. It currently sits atop of a DVD player laying flat. Ventilation doesn't seem to be an issue, but I will check the vents. I'm just hoping it doesn't die on me. I honestly don't even use it that much.[/QUOTE]

I'd definitely turn off the WiiConnect24 feature (or whatever it's called).

The DVD player it's sitting on doesn't get hot on top, does it? That'd be heat transferring right to the Wii.

Otherwise, it may just be dying on its own. :/

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back