Onlive - Batman Arkham Asylum for a buck

I just got my weekly email with Onlive's latest special - if 45,000 people "like" their facebook page (they're at 42,235 and counting) by the end of Labor Day weekend, they will sell Batman, Arkham Asylum for 99 cents.

Onlive's FB page

I've been using Onlive for about 3 months now, and if you have a decent broadband connection I recommend checking it out. They're always running cool specials, the games are priced pretty competitively, and, well, the service just works.

I use the service on my computer, occasionally on my laptop, and mostly on their microconsole, which I got for $10 (shipping cost, basically) - the controller feels very similar to a 360 controller.

I can be up and playing any game in my Onlive library within a minute and a half of starting up the service.

Just an FYI, hope you CAGs agree this is a decent deal - Arkham Asylum for a buck is pretty hard for me to pass up. :D

Only like 2500 more likes. This seems likely to happen before Monday at midnight. Definitely a great deal from Onlive once again.

[quote name='GenPirate']No, OnLive is not part of Xbox 360.[/QUOTE]

I may be misunderstanding your post, but he's asking if the OnLive version of the game supports GFWL, a service for the PC; the Xbox has nothing to do with this. I don't know the answer, I've never played a GFWL title on OnLive.

[quote name='MrshllJcb']So I have Comcast and have been using Onlive a lot but have never had any issues going over the bandwidth limit. Is there a way to check how much of your 250gigs youve used up?[/QUOTE]
Through your account, they also throttle so i don't even bother.

When i upgrade to business class i will check out onlive, because that doesn't have a cap, i share my internet with my sister and fiance who both are addicted to youtube, netflix and hulu, those 2 + what i watch brings us to about 180-200gb just from TB/NF and Hulu + the digital season passes from amazon/itunes.

no way i could ever play onlive for any amount of time but im cool with it, i own all these games on ps3 and am getting a super high end PC when i get my taxes in feb, the idea for onlive is great, but its held back because a lot of people have BW caps and services that throttle their internet thus giving them laggy response times with onlive.

[quote name='BitLooter']I may be misunderstanding your post, but he's asking if the OnLive version of the game supports GFWL, a service for the PC; the Xbox has nothing to do with this. I don't know the answer, I've never played a GFWL title on OnLive.[/QUOTE]

He answered the question correctly. This is not part of the Xbox 360, and by that, he meant it doesn't use the same Live account. So even if you are playing a PC game through Onlive, its a different system. Onlive has its own separate achievement system internal only to Onlive, while you use a completely separate account for your GFWL and Xbox achievements (thus both GFWL and Xbox use the same gamertag).

[quote name='teknikalei']Blah blah blah duplicate thread starter.... :roll:[/QUOTE]

I searched for Onlive before I posted this... I hate when threads get duplicated - sorry mods.

They're over 43k so far... They should make it no prob.

[quote name='styl3s']Through your account, they also throttle so i don't even bother.

When i upgrade to business class i will check out onlive, because that doesn't have a cap, i share my internet with my sister and fiance who both are addicted to youtube, netflix and hulu, those 2 + what i watch brings us to about 180-200gb just from TB/NF and Hulu + the digital season passes from amazon/itunes.

no way i could ever play onlive for any amount of time but im cool with it, i own all these games on ps3 and am getting a super high end PC when i get my taxes in feb, the idea for onlive is great, but its held back because a lot of people have BW caps and services that throttle their internet thus giving them laggy response times with onlive.[/QUOTE]

hmmm,I'll have to check on the Comcast site how much usage I average. I do use Onlive quite a bit (more than my ps3 and 360 lately) but I have never encountered any issues with my connection slowing down. I don't do a ton of streaming on Netflix tho or anything so that's probably why

Batman Arkham Asylum is 99 cents!

Use promo code 99CENTS to activate the promo. Offer good till 9/6 3:00am (EDT).
They'll also donate $1 to the Child's Play charity for every additional "like" they get by Midnight on Monday.

Code isn't working for me :(

Edit: Guess you have to have your credit card linked to your account before you can see the code working. No prob now

Also, everyone who hasn't liked it yet should continue because for each additional like until Monday, OnLive will donate $1 to Child's Play. Can we edit that into the thread title so people know?

I just bought it more to try out OnLive than anything else. I think this would be nice for when I'm at my dad's house or if my laptop isn't up to snuff on some really new games, but the quality is nothing compared to a good desktop system.

I knew that coming in, and it's good for what it is. It's also nice not having to download any huge game installs and being able to play instantly after you buy it. It's just not worth it to me with the hardware I currently own. Three years from now, I could see this coming in handy if I don't feel like upgrading again.

For those of you without dedicated gaming systems, it's pretty nice.

[quote name='BitLooter']I may be misunderstanding your post, but he's asking if the OnLive version of the game supports GFWL, a service for the PC; the Xbox has nothing to do with this. I don't know the answer, I've never played a GFWL title on OnLive.[/QUOTE]

He asked if it supported Live so either way (Microconsole or PC) it does not support it since you play the game using the OnLive app. As far as I know Games for Windows Live requires you to sign into a gamertag and since OnLive is not part of that it network it would not work.

[quote name='eldergias']What is the code?[/QUOTE]

99CENTS

[quote name='jaydepps']Also, everyone who hasn't liked it yet should continue because for each additional like until Monday, OnLive will donate $1 to Child's Play. Can we edit that into the thread title so people know?[/QUOTE]

Awesome! Thanks for mentioning the donation. Very classy!

Nice! Now all we need is a deal on the system, although im sure itll still be nice to be able to play Arkham Asylum on my laptop. Think they'll ever do that buy any $10 game and get the system for free deal again? I really want a system..
Also the code 99CENTS is not working for me, anyone else get it to work yet?

Last edited by a moderator:
Argh, my connection is on the fritz. Is there a gifting feature in OnLive? It won't be until Tuesday or Wednesday that I can get it fixed. :(

bummer about your connection man, thats the main reason Onlive can never be my only console. As a supplement to my 360 and PS3 its great though, and I find myself playing it more than either of them lately. If its a single player game and its on all 3 systems I'm most likely to buy it for Onlive because theres a very likely chance its tied to a great promo or cheaper. One of the biggest plus's for me is that I can be playing a game on my microconsole on the TV and then my girlfriend will want to watch TV so I can save my game and pick it right back up on my laptop, thats a huge plus for me

I agree about it being supplemental. That's a great way of putting it! :)

As an overall service I think OnLive is doing a great job at promoting the idea of major releases being played in the cloud. This works really well for people with good, solid connections but lower-end hardware and/or not wanting to install software on their system (hard drive space, fear of DRM, etc.).

It's just too bad my connection decided to wonk out on me. I'm contacting my cable provider to get a new network box anyway. I get 18-20 up and 3 down usually, but the last few months my connection has hiccupped far too frequently. This is not typical :(

Anyway, here's hoping there's a gifting option. If not then I'm okay with it this time since I already own the game via Gamersgate. It just woulda been nice to have Batman:AA in my games list next to all my Humble Bundle games ;)

Eh...my first thought was "I love Batman:AA, so they'd have to pay me a lot more than a buck to play it on OnLive." That's just me, though.

I tried the demo and... I'm not sure that I even wanna spend a buck on this. Framerate isn't 100% perfect, and the graphics have a slight blur to it. I understand it is streaming the game to you, but I just hope they improve it to the point you can't tell the difference between OnLive and actually playing the game running on your computer.

I have 24Mbps Download/4Mbps Upload, so I guess I had expected it to be perfect with speed like that.

[quote name='Buuhan1']I tried the demo and... I'm not sure that I even wanna spend a buck on this. Framerate isn't 100% perfect, and the graphics have a slight blur to it. I understand it is streaming the game to you, but I just hope they improve it to the point you can't tell the difference between OnLive and actually playing the game running on your computer.

I have 24Mbps Download/4Mbps Upload, so I guess I had expected it to be perfect with speed like that.[/QUOTE]

It also depends on where you live. The closer to a hub you are the better quality you're going to receive out of the service.

[quote name='GenPirate']It also depends on where you live. The closer to a hub you are the better quality you're going to receive out of the service.[/QUOTE]

do you know where the hubs are?

Three confirmed locations are: DC, Bay Area, and Dallas. There is also supposedly a server in New York and last I heard there are actually 5 all together.

ol_coverage1.jpg

I live about 40 minutes from DC, and my connection is flawless. I'm really liking Onlive so far. I got the Deus Ex pre-order deal where you get the free console and I'm really enjoying myself.
They're having a big Labor Day sale right now and I just picked up Just Cause 2 for $5.
They also have a deal where you get one free game or a console when you pre-order either Arkham City or Lord of the Rings: War in the North.
I am thinking about it for the free game. Although i'd really like to know how it works.
I don't see details to know if it's any game for free or what.

[quote name='nattybohman']I live about 40 minutes from DC, and my connection is flawless. I'm really liking Onlive so far. I got the Deus Ex pre-order deal where you get the free console and I'm really enjoying myself.
They're having a big Labor Day sale right now and I just picked up Just Cause 2 for $5.
They also have a deal where you get one free game or a console when you pre-order either Arkham City or Lord of the Rings: War in the North.
I am thinking about it for the free game. Although i'd really like to know how it works.
I don't see details to know if it's any game for free or what.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much any game except the augmented edition of Deus Ex (the other edition is what I got) or any of the other pre-order games.

[quote name='GenPirate']Three confirmed locations are: DC, Bay Area, and Dallas. There is also supposedly a server in New York and last I heard there are actually 5 all together.

ol_coverage1.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Hmm... I'm in TN so I'm not far from DC. Like I said, the quality is really good, but it isn't perfect. Certainly playable, but definitely not to the extent I'd give up a physical/direct copy of it. I think the concept behind OnLive is bloody awesome, to be able to play games at their max settings without worrying about your computer specs. But yeah, there's definitely a slight trade-off in terms of quality for that it seems.

[quote name='Buuhan1']Hmm... I'm in TN so I'm not far from DC. Like I said, the quality is really good, but it isn't perfect. Certainly playable, but definitely not to the extent I'd give up a physical/direct copy of it. I think the concept behind OnLive is bloody awesome, to be able to play games at their max settings without worrying about your computer specs. But yeah, there's definitely a slight trade-off in terms of quality for that it seems.[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing if Nashville has the DC server, then Memphis has the Dallas server. Plus it depends on the internet service. I started off OnLive with DSL and it kept lagging and cutting off when I tried connecting via MicroConsole and had low quality when playing on my desktop. Once I went back to Comcast last month, the quality changed drastically and can't tell if I was playing my console or OnLive.

One game that I kinda regret buying during this weekend is Luxor 2. Great for $1.75 but it's hella lagging. As for Batman Arkham Asylum, it couldn't even load the game via DSL as OnLive kept giving me a timeout error message but on cable, loaded up and no problem.

I notice that being wired is perfect for me, no difference. However if I play wirelessly, I notice a little stuttering and it's too distracting to be playable.

I'm really having fun with onlive.

My wireless connection is perfect, but maybe I'll try playing wired and see if that does help. I'm also using Comcast.

[quote name='iRandom']anyone else having problem using the 99cents promo code? Im on the app (PC) and it keeps saying error[/QUOTE]
You need to have a credit card stored on your account. Do that at the website.

Never tried onlive but for 99 cents I figure why the hell not. I live in Cincinnati and hooked up wirelessly and not experiencing any issues whatsoever. May jump in for arkham city for the free microconsole and see how it works. But happy with the service so far

bread's done
Back