Onlive - Batman Arkham Asylum for a buck

I just bought AA for $.99 and worth a buck. Seems to work but I cannot play that game with a mouse and keyboard, just doesn't gel right for me. I have been wanting a reason to pick up the Xbox Controller thing for PC.

Graphics seem a little off but again, for a buck, not bad at all. The promo for Arkham City with a free MicroConsole looks tempting. I wish the controller could connect to a PC though, then I would defiantly get it but it appears there is a driver in the works.

Makes me really rethink the whole OnLive thing from a joke to a possibility especially if it gets better. Makes me wonder why Microsoft doesn't have better sales on Xbox Live, or even PSN, with full games that have been out for a while. I swear I just saw The Wheelman as a new game (why do this now?) but it was like $20-30 or something.

So according to the map of the servers...

Anyone in top parts of MT, ND and MIN are out of luck?

Just wondering about that :)

[quote name='Bercelak']So according to the map of the servers...

Anyone in top parts of MT, ND and MIN are out of luck?

Just wondering about that :)[/QUOTE]

Not sure if they are "out of luck" but I think they let you demo a bunch of games plus $.99 is worth it to try it out.

Woot! So with the help of this, I've spent $69.97 for my total Onlive package consisting of:

Deus Ex HR Augmented edition 53.99
Deus Ex original goty - free with DE HR preorder
Just Cause 2-$5.00 for labor day sale
Batman: Arkham Asylum - 99 cents with the 99cents promo code
Onlive Game console - also free with DE HR preorder other than $9.99 Shipping

Total of $69.97 for four good games and a console !!!

(btw this console doesn't skimp. High quality console and solid wireless controller almost identical to a 360 controller but including rechargeable battery pack, regular batteries and pack, HDMI cable with console Ethernet cable, etc)

Loving the deals.

[quote name='nattybohman']Woot! So with the help of this, I've spent $69.97 for my total Onlive package consisting of:

(btw this console doesn't skimp. High quality console and solid wireless controller almost identical to a 360 controller but including rechargeable battery pack, regular batteries and pack, HDMI cable with console Ethernet cable, etc)

Loving the deals.[/QUOTE]

Good to hear you are loving OnLive. Its a solid service.

[quote name='nattybohman']Woot! So with the help of this, I've spent $69.97 for my total Onlive package consisting of:

Loving the deals.[/QUOTE]

Just a heads up for you and other ppl thinking about trying Onlive -
If you sign up for their $9.99/mo playpack, even if you don't think you'll keep it longer than a month- it's worth it for your initial game order.

For instance, for that Deus Ex Augmented edition you bought, you would have saved $16 on that game alone, because playpack subscribers get 30% off EVERYTHING. I even saved 30 cents on Batman AA this weekend - I tell ya Onlive is the shiznit. :D

Onlive seems like a cool service for people who play lots of games every month, but how about people who just buy quality games occasionally - like if you get Uncharted 3 or Shogun Total War etc. you'll be onto it and playing it, but not necessarily every other RPG or 3rd person shooter that comes out? I don't suppose you can just use the service for free and then just purchase games to go with it i.e. can I just sign up for OnLive and only pay for Arkham Asylum?

Personally, I don't like Onlive because of massive data usage. I think Onlive should make some kind of deal with internet service provider so users can play without worrying their monthly data usage.. I think data usage of Onlive is way higher than Netfliex streaming sigh... But regardless what I said, Batman for 99 cents was awesome :)

[quote name='midnightexpress']Onlive seems like a cool service for people who play lots of games every month, but how about people who just buy quality games occasionally - like if you get Uncharted 3 or Shogun Total War etc. you'll be onto it and playing it, but not necessarily every other RPG or 3rd person shooter that comes out? I don't suppose you can just use the service for free and then just purchase games to go with it i.e. can I just sign up for OnLive and only pay for Arkham Asylum?[/QUOTE]

I know it was just an example, but Uncharted is a first-party property by Sony, you won't see it (or any Sony exclusives) on OnLive.

[quote name='midnightexpress']Onlive seems like a cool service for people who play lots of games every month, but how about people who just buy quality games occasionally - like if you get Uncharted 3 or Shogun Total War etc. you'll be onto it and playing it, but not necessarily every other RPG or 3rd person shooter that comes out? I don't suppose you can just use the service for free and then just purchase games to go with it i.e. can I just sign up for OnLive and only pay for Arkham Asylum?[/QUOTE]

To answer your question of course you can , you can sign up and buy just batman if thats all you want and continue to play it until your bored of it. Onlive wont charge you again unless you buy another game.

Yeah, originally they were going to have it where you had to pay a monthly service fee on top of the games you are buying. They changed that, which is good on them. It would be interesting to see where this goes from here though.

Will a larger company buy them? Would be awesome to see Steam/OnLive combo. You could buy the game and either stream it or play it on your own hardware. Especially if it allowed you to stream from your own hardware too. That way you could play your PC game on your TV.

[quote name='token2k6']i'm getting an Invalid Promo code..arghh. tried '99CENTS' and '99cents' won't work..[/QUOTE]

The code is only good for 3 days. Not sure exactly what time it started on Friday but it may be over now.

[quote name='token2k6']i'm getting an Invalid Promo code..arghh. tried '99CENTS' and '99cents' won't work..[/QUOTE]

The deal should be live until Monday night and it is only for Batman Arkham Asylum. The code is 99CENTS and if it isn't working for you, contact support.

If you are outside the USA, it may not work.

This deal is good until Tuesday September 6th at 3AM. Contact support if it isn't working.
http://www.facebook.com/OnLive?sk=app_193542757379387

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='hgmk80']Personally, I don't like Onlive because of massive data usage. I think Onlive should make some kind of deal with internet service provider so users can play without worrying their monthly data usage.. I think data usage of Onlive is way higher than Netfliex streaming sigh... But regardless what I said, Batman for 99 cents was awesome :)[/QUOTE]

This has been a concern of mine that has kept me away from onlive... I don't really consider myself a data hog (although I do use Hulu+ for my tv-watching needs) but I've always been paranoid about data overages. I remember a long time ago someone talked about how they were playing lego batman for about 5 minutes and it used up 5 gigs of bandwidth, was that a skewed estimate or is this fairly accurate?

Enter your billing info first, that seemed to solve most of people's invalid code problems.

[quote name='iamsmart']This has been a concern of mine that has kept me away from onlive... I don't really consider myself a data hog (although I do use Hulu+ for my tv-watching needs) but I've always been paranoid about data overages. I remember a long time ago someone talked about how they were playing lego batman for about 5 minutes and it used up 5 gigs of bandwidth, was that a skewed estimate or is this fairly accurate?[/QUOTE]

No idea how accurate it is but it really depends on your provider. The ISP companies really want more money then they are getting now because certain people are using more data. With this and Netflix, unfortunately we will see them raise the price even more unless it becomes really competitive. Right now where I am at you can either get Comcast or Verizon, either one you can have them compete with one another for a better package but what happens when they just agree on the same pricing plans across the board.

Cell phone carriers are facing the same problem with people streaming music and Netflix. It sucks in general but I am sure you can contact OnLive about that.

I purchased Batman and I think that it plays very well. I didn't expect it to be fluid at all. But I think it looks a little on the bad side. That being said, I would recommend this to someone that does not have an Xbox 360 / PS3 / PC but still wants to play all the new games.

[quote name='Kyrox']I purchased Batman and I think that it plays very well. I didn't expect it to be fluid at all. But I think it looks a little on the bad side. That being said, I would recommend this to someone that does not have an Xbox 360 / PS3 / PC but still wants to play all the new games.[/QUOTE]

I just tried it and I think it looks great. I played it on the Xbox 360 when it came out and this definitely looks as least as good. Plays well too.

[quote name='lllGurulll']It really amazes me that onlive can't provide the same video that netflix can without requiring such high bandwidth.[/QUOTE]

It really shouldn't amaze you. Netflix is just feeding you video that has already been highly compressed using the standard high quality/compression rate codecs. Onlive needs to be able to stream out compressed video on the fly, with zero encoding latency, leading to higher bit rates and lower quality.

bread's done
Back