OTT 586: The Legend Continues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I'm intrigued by this "Colin and Greg quit IGN" stuff, considering the podcasts are only available if you pay. As far as I can tell, ALL the other game sites offer at least one free podcast(Drive a lot when working, so I listen to many podcasts).

Sorry, you guys aren't THAT interesting. But, some people think so, they are drawing nearly 15K a month on just one account (they have two I think). No wonder they quit.

People are comparing them to Giant Bomb, but I think their goal is to be the next rooster teeth.
If you pay you get the episode on time on Friday. Otherwise it's divided into 4 segments on YT the following M-Th or released for free on podcast services that following Friday when Patreons are getting the new episode.

I redeemed my digital copy movies. Only had to sign up for five websites! The movies looks good but I'd most likely stick to using the disc instead of streaming.
I hate when they do that...I'd say 90% of the Blu's I buy, I never redeem the digital copies because it's way too complicated/bloated with website sign-ups. I think of all of them I have The Avengers (which ws a beast to get), Lord of the Rings trilogy, and Harry Potter Deathly Hallows 2. I got half way thru the Captain America 2 registration and gave up.

I hate when they do that...I'd say 90% of the Blu's I buy, I never redeem the digital copies because it's way too complicated/bloated with website sign-ups. I think of all of them I have The Avengers (which ws a beast to get), Lord of the Rings trilogy, and Harry Potter Deathly Hallows 2. I got half way thru the Captain America 2 registration and gave up.
Or worse, that the codes are only good with some websites/apps and not others. I'm still trying to figure out how to get my digital copy of The Lego Movie (that is for Vudu) to play on AmazonPrime for free. I may just end up having to buy the digital version from AmazonVideo.

I played in semi-major Magic The Gathering tournaments the last two weekends, a Preliminary Pro Tour Qualifier on Saturday the 3rd and one of the last full Pro Tour Qualifier's on Sunday the 11th. I was playing a RW Burn deck profiled by one of Star City Games' pros in a video that aired around Thanksgiving, as it's the new version of the same deck I ran from Jan.-Sept. of 2014 before cards in it rotated out (highlight of that run was finishing 175th out of 2000 players at my first Grand Prix in Chicago but only top 100 get prizes.)

In both tournaments I won my first 2 to 3 matches, only to lose the final 4 matches and finish just out of the prizes each time. So depressing to start off so well then just not get there. Especially Sunday as in those final four matches I lost in game 3 each time, having won game 1 in 3 of those matches.

It wasn't that bad. I did most of the movies on vudu.com even if the paper insert said to go to a specific website. Only the movie Drive had to be done on the Sony website and I also did the disney/marvel movies on disneyMoviesAnywhere so I could get the reward points.

Or worse, that the codes are only good with some websites/apps and not others. I'm still trying to figure out how to get my digital copy of The Lego Movie (that is for Vudu) to play on AmazonPrime for free. I may just end up having to buy the digital version from AmazonVideo.
I don't think you can get ultra violet movies to play on amazon prime. You can only play them on vudu, flixter, or some other UV apps.

As stated, go to vudu. Easiest way for direct link is to google "vudu redeem code". They are by far the most supported app for UV, and also now integrate with Disney movies. Flixter is like the MySpace of UV apps, hate that my Fire stick only has Flixster right now.

The sites listed on the inserts are just to get you on mailing lists, and vudu redeem oagebjust bypasses all that.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/vizio-p-series-65-class-64-1-2-diag--led-2160p-smart-4k-ultra-hd-tv-black/8509662.p?id=1219340874656&skuId=8509662

I bought this on a whim. Been looking for a 4K TV for a while. So far this thing has been amazing. Transparent was the first 4K thing I watched and the difference in quality was pretty noticeable.
I remember all the tech sites going nuts over how great of a value the P Series 4K is when it was first shown at a show last year.

I remember all the tech sites going nuts over how great of a value the P Series 4K is when it was first shown at a show last year.
The review on CNET got me to pull the trigger. The blacks are fantastic. Picture quality is insane. So far I am very satisfied with the television. I'm the dude who was big on 3d so I might not be the best person to ask, but 4k is legit. I watched breaking bad and damn if it wasn't mind blowing.

hey man today i turned 16 and i got a car

unbranded-cozy-coupe-ii-car-little-tikes.jpg

Last edited:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/vizio-p-series-65-class-64-1-2-diag--led-2160p-smart-4k-ultra-hd-tv-black/8509662.p?id=1219340874656&skuId=8509662

I bought this on a whim. Been looking for a 4K TV for a while. So far this thing has been amazing. Transparent was the first 4K thing I watched and the difference in quality was pretty noticeable.
I was eyeballing the 55" version of that TV...I think $899 would be the sweet spot. I worry about LED/LCD TV's though. I tend to see the pixels 'cooling off' so everything in motion tends to leave a trail. Doesnt matter which brand. It's why I've only had Plasma TV's. Now that LG is the only manufacturer of Plasma (Ewww...), with Panasonic and Samsung folding up shop, I'm worried that I wont be able to watch TV when they decide to die.

Broadcast TV looks odd on my new TV, but that's the only quirkiness I have noticed. Probably has to do with the upscaling or something but everything looks super fake. Colors are fairly close to my plasma. Not as good, but close.

Supposedly google fiber is coming to the triangle. Announcement is next week. Pretty excited.
Lucky bastard.

Broadcast TV looks odd on my new TV, but that's the only quirkiness I have noticed. Probably has to do with the upscaling or something but everything looks super fake. Colors are fairly close to my plasma. Not as good, but close.
Maybe, broadcast TV is all 720 or below, such it's doing a lot of upscaling. Do you have any of that motion smooting/interpolation settings on? I don't care for that.

Congrats on the TV. I have Panny 65" plasma which felt ridiculous when I first got it, but now I want bigger...
I guess a projector is next.

The OTT is still going :whee:
Mak!

The poker room I play at is kinda cwaazy. :whee:

A lot of people talk piping hot trash during the games, including a 60 year-old man who dresses like Rob Dyrdek and sags.  He's convinced I'm bluffing every hand, so I always make sure to snap off at least 20% of his stack whenever he's heads up against me and I know I have the best hand.

A few tournaments ago, I drew a seat next to him, and when I was putting my coat on the back of the chair, he warned me, "Come over here and bluff and see what happens"  I told him, "I never bluff." :cool:

Last edited:
Lucky bastard.

Maybe, broadcast TV is all 720 or below, such it's doing a lot of upscaling. Do you have any of that motion smooting/interpolation settings on? I don't care for that.

Congrats on the TV. I have Panny 65" plasma which felt ridiculous when I first got it, but now I want bigger...
I guess a projector is next.

Mak!
It has to have something to do with the source because shows on Hulu look fine.

I went from a 59 inch to a 65. No matter how big you get you always want bigger. If I watched TV in my den I would have already gotten a projector, but I like laying in bread and watching it.

Google fiber confirmed. Can't wait for them to start digging. This is the third fiber company to announce plans to run lines in the triangle. ATT and a local company called RST already are. Guessing this is going to make TWC decide they need to step up their game.

What I wouldn't give for some Google Fiber.  I think the apartment I'm going to be moving to for a few months has fiber optic internet.  Thay'll be nice if it is.  Maybe I'll just look for a job in Kansas, or wherever it's already set up.

It has to have something to do with the source because shows on Hulu look fine.

I went from a 59 inch to a 65. No matter how big you get you always want bigger. If I watched TV in my den I would have already gotten a projector, but I like laying in bread and watching it.

Google fiber confirmed. Can't wait for them to start digging. This is the third fiber company to announce plans to run lines in the triangle. ATT and a local company called RST already are. Guessing this is going to make TWC decide they need to step up their game.
Huh...I'll have to give that a try. I like bread! :whee:

Casey always has the most cutting edge entertainment equipment.  He's always 15 years ahead of whatever I have :bow:

So super fake but not bad enough to return the tv? Have you watched football on it yet?

Sports looks great. It is more sitcoms and dramas that look off.
When I got my 1080 HD tv it took a couple weeks before I no longer noticed how different the frame rate and picture looked. I don't even see it anymore. I can sort of force myself to see it if I watch an old tube tv for a bit and then really look for the difference when I go back.

I didn't realize that the settings I changed weren't carrying over to other inputs. I haven't watched any network shows since I calibrated, but what I have seen since I recalibrated looks much much better. I'll probably try and watch something tonight to check it out.

Bought that klipsch sub that was on amazon for 200 so I got to hook that up and test it out. Need the Andrew Jones or Polk floor standing speakers to go on sale to finish upgrading my TV setup.

I tell everyone who asks to go with the ps4. I think it's awesomesauce compared to the xbone. I wouldn't get an xbone unless it was $300 and had a good bundle.

Man, Joystiq closing down makes me so sad. Guess they should a kept giving star reviews to games. Seriously nymph by they were my favorite game podcast and game news & review site.

Now CAG has a new front page. I can't emotionally handle all these changes!

I'm that dude who goes the other way. I do still buy almost all my third party games on the quad, but I use my xbone way more. Its what I use to watch television and the exclusives up to this point have been way better.

PS4 not having an IR blaster and no official remote over a year in sucks ass. I'm not using a fucking controller to watch Netflix or a blu ray.

It feels like it was just a year or two ago that CAG upgraded to 2.0, or whatever they called the black background.  Anyone have some screenshots from the original forum?  I remember looking at some on my old desktop, and it looked so foreign.  How time flies.

That feels so comfortable...  I don't think I've seen the Cheapy avatar holding the cash since the site changed.

It's just a real bummer to see how the site has died down.  What happened?  Did the site's demographic just grow up?  Are people ditching dedicated forums for places like reddit?  A subreddit is really like a more effective forum.  Or are gaming deals just not what they used to be?  It used to feel like we got the insider scoop here on CAG (or SD or Fatwallet or whatever).  It was like we were taking advantage of all of the deals that weren't meant to be consumed in the way we were consuming and sharing them.  But then different retailers got accounts, and asked for feedback.  Deals don't seem as interesting any more, and it feels like we're being marketed to (not CAG specifically, but just deal seekers in general).  

Or maybe I just got older.  Who knows.

I'd be curious to know if the numbers are even down, because it seems like a lot of people post here still - just not much activity in the General area.  I'd bet they're up.  I'm not sure about the game areas as I don't really check those anymore.

The podcast probably pulled in a ton of users.  Same with the onset of trading Steam codes.  Also, "Black Friday" is far more mainstream than it once was.

But, like you mentioned, information has spread out to social platforms like Reddit and Facebook.

Cheapy was smart to fill a niche on the web early, and chose the one that is outgrossing major motion pictures.  Well played!

Last edited:
Brakes link looks like the first vbulletin version, but the board started out on phpbb (sp?), and died every time there was heavy traffic. Especially after the circuit city 5 dollar sale.

The review on CNET got me to pull the trigger. The blacks are fantastic. Picture quality is insane. So far I am very satisfied with the television. I'm the dude who was big on 3d so I might not be the best person to ask, but 4k is legit. I watched breaking bad and damn if it wasn't mind blowing.
I am too, still enjoy my 3d from time to time. The issue was people weren't buying quality sets with active 3D. Several movies I have look even better on my 4-5 year old old Sony than they did in Real3D branded theaters.

Where the hell is my package?
How can an update say "there is no update"?

EDIT: They removed the non update and I picked it up myself after calling them.

https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmAction?qtc_tLabels1=CL773645955DE

That feels so comfortable... I don't think I've seen the Cheapy avatar holding the cash since the site changed.

It's just a real bummer to see how the site has died down. What happened? Did the site's demographic just grow up? Are people ditching dedicated forums for places like reddit? A subreddit is really like a more effective forum. Or are gaming deals just not what they used to be? It used to feel like we got the insider scoop here on CAG (or SD or Fatwallet or whatever). It was like we were taking advantage of all of the deals that weren't meant to be consumed in the way we were consuming and sharing them. But then different retailers got accounts, and asked for feedback. Deals don't seem as interesting any more, and it feels like we're being marketed to (not CAG specifically, but just deal seekers in general).

Or maybe I just got older. Who knows.
Has it really though? I mean, the subforums are dead which is sad, but it seems like the main Deals thread is active. Granted, I don't really visit that anymore either as I don't care about flipping or buying much for myself these days. Particularly crazy deals like certain glitches I usually see elsewhere first shortly after it's been posted here.

I guess it doesn't help that so many retailers have closed down.

That old screenshot does look nice though.

Amen...and now we're about to get a 20 degree drop in 2 hours. All this stuff is going to freeze over!
Weathermen were freaking out on Saturday saying it'll be terrible all day. Light snow overnight, but mostly gone by morning. Everyone was freaking out and staying in until around 10 when they all realized that there was no more snow and the roads were actually decent, so everyone went out...then a ton of snow came down at 10:30 and there were crashes everywhere. Then it warmed up and started raining at 3 and continued on through the evening. Problem was, with all the snow, the water didn't drain efficiently, so when it got to single digit windchill everything turned into a layer of ice. Then it snowed on top of the ice.

Weathermen were freaking out on Saturday saying it'll be terrible all day. Light snow overnight, but mostly gone by morning. Everyone was freaking out and staying in until around 10 when they all realized that there was no more snow and the roads were actually decent, so everyone went out...then a ton of snow came down at 10:30 and there were crashes everywhere. Then it warmed up and started raining at 3 and continued on through the evening. Problem was, with all the snow, the water didn't drain efficiently, so when it got to single digit windchill everything turned into a layer of ice. Then it snowed on top of the ice.
Why is your signature a "click and discover Imageshack"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back