Patapon 2 - Download Only, No UMD Release

I started the demo and it's definitely an improvement on the orginal. The most noticeable thing to me was that it is much easier to keep rhythm when you go into Fever mode. It also looks a bit more crisp overall. I'm close to buying it, but I still haven't finished the first one, and if I do finish that one, I may be tired of the game by then, since they are the exact same thing so far.

That's why it would be better to move over since this feels like a more user-friendly experience than the first and get all of the improvements that goes with it. You can import your god over, so you can continue from where you left off.

I've been playing the demo and have to say I'm very surprised at how much content they give you. I've unlocked a few of the minigames by replaying some levels, and I already have about 6 Patapon types, and it's all from the demo.

I do say the game is alot more friendly by importing your god. you get all your money and items as well as name transferred over.

You don't really need to play anything first. The second game summarizes what has happened before and gets you caught up quickly, nothing really substantial is needed to be known besides that.

If you're looking to spend $20 on a Patapon game, the sequel will be the more enjoyable game than trying to rush through the first game.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']You don't really need to play anything first. The second game summarizes what has happened before and gets you caught up quickly, nothing really substantial is needed to be known besides that.

If you're looking to spend $20 on a Patapon game, the sequel will be the more enjoyable game than trying to rush through the first game.[/quote]

I'll second this, plus a large portion of the beginning of Patapon 2 is a semi condensed replay of the things played in the first game.

May 7th... What the ****, Sony?

edit: The Patapon 2 demo does not work with CFW so I guess the regular game won't work either. The money I have sitting on my account will sit there a little longer.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='RelentlessRolento']you can go to gamestop now and get it... i've been playing it today.[/quote]

Well I have $50~ on my PSN account and rumor has it it's priced at $14.99 on PSN so I decided to wait. It doesn't matter much now that I know I can't play it though.

It was always going to be tomorrow on PSN, but you could get it early if you bought it in stores.

It's $19.99, as it was confirmed on the last page of this thread.

So does the retail package have an instructions manual with it? I'd love to see pics of what this package actually includes.

[quote name='KingBroly']So does the retail package have an instructions manual with it? I'd love to see pics of what this package actually includes.[/quote]
3450479397_ae01ec0c70.jpg

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']cmon people... play this... or at least wait till it goes up in the PSN store today.[/QUOTE]

fuck no, I'll play it when Sony puts it on a UMD and sells it to me.

I hope this sells a laughably small number of copies in the US.

[quote name='Halo05']fuck no, I'll play it when Sony puts it on a UMD and sells it to me.

I hope this sells a laughably small number of copies in the US.[/quote]

fuck that.

sure people don't like digital distribution, but at the same time everyone is missing out on one of the PSPs strongest titles.

People would be dumbasses to pass this game up just because of the form of media it's being delivered on.

Then I'm a dumbass, it can't be as bad as that time I drank half a bottle of absinthe and lost my mind for a night.

Deciding whether to play it on 'normal' or 'easy' for a more succinct experience even though I didn't have any major problems in the first game keeping a beat... while waiting for Patapon 2 to work on CFW.

Hey maybe I will buy this game through DD in the long run, because awesome news! Target is carrying this! Which means, yeah you guessed it... it will probably be clearanced in the long run. $5 Patapon 2 for the win ;)

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I think it will sell. I'm still surprised at how well GT: Prologue sold digitally.[/QUOTE]
Totally different situation. The original Patapon was $20 with physical media. That's what this will be compared to. IIRC, it was put at that price point and it was touted as a big deal for being a good value. $20 for a DD is not a good value as nearly all other PSN games are cheaper than that, with the exception of a handful of titles like GT5, Siren and ??

Plus, you've got to add into the mix that this is a portable game. Competing with iPhone priced games. Hell, I want the game but I won't spend $20 on a digital download for my portable device. $15 was pushing it. $10 would have been an easy sell.

Well the "Insert in a UMD case." seems to be failing. I live in CT so I'm sure It's different per state, but I work in retail. I've been in 3+ Targets and all had 4 units and it doesn't look like any sold. At my store we didn't even get in a shipment so I'm not sure if we are even selling it. I went around to Gamestops and it seems like no ones buying it either. If I was a retailer and I bought four units of a game and none sold I would not be pleased. This sucks for those wishing for more games with a voucher in the box and still having a "collectable" case for shelf display but at the same time may work in their favor if people aren't buying this simply because of no UMD.

So either people are doing DD only or are doing other methods :p Too bad we'll never know unless Sony publicly releases numbers, which they probably won't which is a shame because I want to know what Sony believes is a success DD wise.

If you're going to farm, just pick up the Patapon 2 demo off of PSN. You can take your Patapon 2 demo save right into the normal game, with everything carried over. The only stuff that carries over from Patapon 1 are items that aren't weapons/armor, your name, and ka-ching. Technically weapons do (do the first level in stormy weather will have a chest at the end with random gear from your Patapon 1 save, but none of the uber stuff).

[quote name='Salamando3000']If you're going to farm, just pick up the Patapon 2 demo off of PSN. You can take your Patapon 2 demo save right into the normal game, with everything carried over. The only stuff that carries over from Patapon 1 are items that aren't weapons/armor, your name, and ka-ching. Technically weapons do (do the first level in stormy weather will have a chest at the end with random gear from your Patapon 1 save, but none of the uber stuff).[/quote]

I said this before but I'm using CFW and therefore can't play the demo.

So if someone wanted to buy the European UMD version where would be the best price? I see Amazon UK has it for 23 pounds but I am not sure if Americans can order off that site and have it delivered here (and how much shipping would be).

Digital Only games bite my nuggets! Is this for sale on UMD in Europe? Anyone know if a US save from Patapon 1 will work with Patapon 2 Euro?

[quote name='UjnHunter']Digital Only games bite my nuggets! Is this for sale on UMD in Europe? Anyone know if a US save from Patapon 1 will work with Patapon 2 Euro?[/QUOTE]

They were talking on the 1up podcast last Friday about how they got review umds which were simply the European Umd release. They didn't say if it was compatible but I would bet the saves are compatible.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']so then how u genna play it...legally?[/quote]

I was going to wait until they updated the CFW to purchase Patapon 2 but I'm going to try NP Decryptor on the demo first. If that works, I will purchase Patapon 2 immediately.

[quote name='UjnHunter']Digital Only games bite my nuggets! Is this for sale on UMD in Europe? Anyone know if a US save from Patapon 1 will work with Patapon 2 Euro?[/quote]

I've seen people in the GameFAQs forum discussing converting a US save until a EU save. You need to ask someone to do that for you though.

@blitz6speed
Thanks, I'm going to try that.

[quote name='AndrewCP']I've downloaded the demo from the PSN Store and works fine on the latest CFW.[/QUOTE]

I'm using 5.00 M33-6 and it did not work for me. I got the demo to work after decrypting it so I'll probably purchase Patapon 2 soon.

We both know both sides of the equation, we just see them as having different levels of importance. I'm not going to debate it here, I'm just going to continue to wish failure upon the model.

That being said, if I can score the retail version at $10 or less, I'll buy it in a heartbeat. I suppose I've just discovered my usual cutoff point for downloadable games. Yeah, there are exceptions like SFHD and eventually MvC2 but overall, ten bucks is my limit.

:lol: I don't like or dislike DD, but I do think people should be more open to it than they have been over the past month.

I'm pretty far in this game, but I'm slowing down a bit now doing resource hunting and upgrading my hero. So much crap to do in this game and I've barely unlocked most of the stuff yet.

bread's done
Back