Patapon 2 - Download Only, No UMD Release

I think I'm pretty open to the idea, just not at full price. Maybe $20 isn't full price for a PSP game but given how dismally game sales have traditionally been for the system (since like 2006), it probably should be.

I own tons of downloaded games on my 360, PS3, and Wii. I really like being able to sit down and pick from a wide variety of games without messing around with disc swapping or anything like that. That aside, the biggest commonality within my downloaded games collection is that other than SFHD, none of them (that I can think of at the moment) cost more than $10 retail. In many cases, I actually paid less because of Wal-Mart clearances on Wii points cards and various XBL points cards deals.

The Patapon 2 situation at the moment is kind of doubly bad for me and probably some others. First, it retailed at $20 in stores as a downloadable game. Secondly, I've never seen a deal on Playstation bucks, so I can't shave money off the price by finding a deal there. As much as I scoffed at MS coming up with the 1600 = 20 dollars gimmick, I think it has led to deals on XBL points that we haven't, and won't see on the PSN cards that are clearly marked at either $20 or $50.

I just thought of something else. Over the past week I've bought several new games, check this out -

PS2 - Disgaea $20
PS2 - Samurai Shodown Anthology $13
PS2 - Namco Fighting Collection $20
360 - Raiden Fighters Aces $20
360 - Namco Arcade collection thing $10

In a world where I can get retail games like those for at most $20, a $20 downloaded game doesn't stand a chance. Anyhow, fun talk. It will be interesting to see what kinds of numbers Patapon 2 puts up in the long run.

I could see your point if Patapon 2 wasn't a great value for $20.

You scoff at the price point because it's being sold at retail but ignore the possibility of sales like any disc-based game that is sold in a store.

[quote name='Halo05']In a world where I can get retail games like those for at most $20, a $20 downloaded game doesn't stand a chance.[/QUOTE]

QFMFT. :applause:

North America: 1. Patapon 2 (SCEA), 2. God of War: Chains of Olympus (SCEA), 3. Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII (Square Enix), 4. Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories (Rockstar), 5. Sega Genesis Collection (Sega).

What a beefy game outselling all those old ones! I'm guessing it sold around 7k+ not bad for a DD game. Making my guesstimate from VGChartz which is always off but PSP games don't sell too well in general. GOW and CC are gonna selll well for awhile with the newer price drops, but Sega Genesis Collection really baffles me. Surprised Sega didn't make a ultimate sonic collection on 2 umds ;)

Edited: I forgot that was only a weeks worth of sales so I edited.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']fuck that. I don't see why DD needs to get so much hate.[/QUOTE]

As a delivery method, I don't think most of us hate it...when we have an option. Additionally, to price it the exact same as a phsyical copy is pathetic. They've saved money on the packaging and retailers have saved on inventory and warehouse space, so why should it still cost the same as a UMD game?

Also, why "test" this out only in the US? And why do it with such a popular sequel? Try it with the first game, or more of a niche game than one of the top ten games on the entire platform.

Maybe Metal Gear Solid 5 should be download only for the PS3, and Gears of War 3 should be only delivered over XBL. That wouldn't ruffle any feathers :|

I'm just pissed because I really looked forward to this game, I like to collect games, and I don't feel like always having to have memory card space so I can play it, so I'm going to play the demo, and not buy the game to vote with my dollars. Fine if the next PSP is going to be UMD-less, people can know that going in, but don't fart around with your business model near the end of the product's lifecycle.

That's the source of the hate from me.

I highly doubt Patapon or its sequel are anywhere close to being in the Top 10 for best-selling PSP games, so this is the perfect, niche test case that you said should be used.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I highly doubt Patapon or its sequel are anywhere close to being in the Top 10 for best-selling PSP games, so this is the perfect, niche test case that you said should be used.[/QUOTE]

Didn't mean in terms of sales numbers, but critical acclaim. Besides, lets face it...in North America, what PSP game has sold amazingly well with or without a UMD? :D

...and I'm proven insanely wrong. Amazingly Patapon only got an 86 on metacritic, and Patapon 2 is currently at an 82. Who the hell is reviewing these games so low? Frickin asshats!

Not even by review scores, but the first game is up there while the second is somehow getting worse scores. It's not exactly a game that everyone will love.

I imagine that the well-known brands sell well, like GTA, Midnight Club, God of War, etc., while those that are well-made just for the PSP (Loco Roco, Patapon, Crush) do decently.

Can someone explain to me how the save file for the first game (or the demo for 2) factors into the new game?

Additionally- do i have to have that data on my system when I start playing 2? I heard there is a special item if I bet the demo, and i'll go play the demo if it can be updated into my save file..

Yeah, I recommend it since it'll save time from having to farm items.

I beat this thing a while ago, but I'm still finding new things... I just unlocked the alchemist brothers without even trying to >_

[quote name='nbballard']If i already have a save file for 2, it's too late to play 1 or the demo though right?[/QUOTE]

It shouldn't be 1 and 2 were two different releases so I wouldn't think it would matter.

What i'm saying is- does the Patapon 2 file actively look for stuff it hasn't pillaged from the Patapon1 file? Or is it a one-time check when the game starts?

WTF? I just spent like 30 minutes trying to beat the first canon (on the level with the 3 canons) and I got so frustrated I turned it off. I'm not far into the game at all!

It's a training level for learning how to attack and defend. I wasn't a fan of it either, so I stuck to the obstacle course level that I think came earlier.

So is it beatable or does it go on forever? My patapon archer dude kept dying and coming back to life which I thought was odd...

You can can beat him by just attacking and defending well enough to end the session, though they will ramp it up for the next time that you try it out. I wouldn't recommend it without a full crew (three groups of six and the hero patapon) since that would likely take longer.

Just picked this up today for $4.98 from Target. Can I download this from my PS3, then copy it over to the PSP, or do I need to put in the code via my PSP's PSN store?

[quote name='mtxbass1']Just picked this up today for $4.98 from Target. Can I download this from my PS3, then copy it over to the PSP, or do I need to put in the code via my PSP's PSN store?[/QUOTE]

PS3 works. In fact I recommend doing it that way. That's how I do it so I always have a backup if anything.

bread's done
Back