[PC] Bioshock now $30 on Steam

[quote name='KueMan10']I would be all over this but what exactly is Steam? It seems like Spyware to me.[/quote]

Not trying to be rude...but are you serious?

Good price, I'm really temped to get this.

[quote name='KueMan10']I would be all over this but what exactly is Steam? It seems like Spyware to me.[/quote]

Digital Download Service provided by Valve the makers of The Orange Box and the original Half-life.

IT IS NOT SPYWARE.

I think its the most awesome thing.. I wish all games purchased retail which are available on Steam could be linked to my Steam Account.

I'm guessing this is still using the tarded' copy protection the retail game has?

If so, thanks for the news OP, but I'd rather not buy software that treats me like a criminal.

is steam ever coming to the mac?

I hate firing up my pc to play anything on steam.... i dont wanna use bootcamp or any conversion software... i just want steam on my mac dammit

[quote name='mrelusive']I'm guessing this is still using the tarded' copy protection the retail game has?

If so, thanks for the news OP, but I'd rather not buy software that treats me like a criminal.[/QUOTE]

Originally I assumed that it just used Steam (which is still too nasty for my tastes, but obviously much better than that Securom activation). But my understanding from another forum is it does still use Securom, even in the Steam release.

I had to resort to playing the X-Box version because of the DRM :whistle2:/

[quote name='bo0']is steam ever coming to the mac?

I hate firing up my pc to play anything on steam.... i dont wanna use bootcamp or any conversion software... i just want steam on my mac dammit[/QUOTE]

Doesn't seem to be, which kind of surprises me really. Of course the game library they offered would be totally different from the Windows side of things.

[quote name='Master Shake']
Or you could just go to a store and get it for $27 plus tax if you use the 10% off coupon.[/quote]

That's what I'm going to do.

[quote name='sovietspartan']Digital Download Service provided by Valve the makers of The Orange Box and the original Half-life.

IT IS NOT SPYWARE.

I think its the most awesome thing.. I wish all games purchased retail which are available on Steam could be linked to my Steam Account.[/quote]

No but securerom that comes with Bioshock (yes its in the steam version as well) is pretty close to spyware.

Great at least I don't have to worry about buying Bioshock now.
[quote name='z3razerviper']No but securerom that comes with Bioshock (yes its in the steam version as well) is pretty close to spyware.[/quote]

What does SecuRom do that's spyware exactly? Does it send private info from my comp to 2k games or something? I've had Bioshock installed since August and haven't had any performance issues with my comp. I run a lot of spyware/adware scans and always come out clean.

[quote name='V878']What does SecuRom do that's spyware exactly? Does it send private info from my comp to 2k games or something? I've had Bioshock installed since August and haven't had any performance issues with my comp. I run a lot of spyware/adware scans and always come out clean.[/QUOTE]

It's better classified as malware rather than spyware:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Securom#SecuROM_v_7.x

[quote name='NTolerance']It's better classified as malware rather than spyware:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Securom#SecuROM_v_7.x[/quote]

Well it seems I wasn't completely ridiculous for thinking that then.

[quote name='Fuzi0n']Not trying to be rude...but are you serious?

Good price, I'm really temped to get this.[/quote]

And yes, I was serious. I don't know anything about it.

[quote name='KueMan10']Well it seems I wasn't completely ridiculous for thinking that then.[/quote]

Just so you're clear, SecuRom is malware NOT Steam.

If it's not spyware, I'm not sure what the big deal with SecuRom is. I've had Bioshock installed since August and haven't had any performance problems with my comp since then. I can't see anything that SecuRom has blocked me from doing, and that includes enabling virtual drives and such. I agree it's annoying to have this process just sit there with no positive impact, but I just haven't seen it doing anything malicious.

Just not seeing why SecuRom is a deal breaker for a lot of people. Is it crippling my computer somehow that I'm not aware of?

Not sure for others, but I don't really care about it using SecuRom or being "malware". But I truly dislike the activation model, and will not support such a disgusting form of DRM.

That's the deal-breaker for me. If it included SecuRom ontop of Steam, I'd raise an eyebrow would give it a shot (hadn't I played it on 360).

[quote name='V878']Just so you're clear, SecuRom is malware NOT Steam.

If it's not spyware, I'm not sure what the big deal with SecuRom is. I've had Bioshock installed since August and haven't had any performance problems with my comp since then. I can't see anything that SecuRom has blocked me from doing, and that includes enabling virtual drives and such. I agree it's annoying to have this process just sit there with no positive impact, but I just haven't seen it doing anything malicious.

Just not seeing why SecuRom is a deal breaker for a lot of people. Is it crippling my computer somehow that I'm not aware of?[/QUOTE]

I'm not a DRM fan by any stretch, but I must say that Steam is the most consumer-friendly DRM scheme I have seen. You can copy-paste your Steam folder to any PC, log in with your accout and play all your games anywhere. You can even set it to "offline" mode where you can play without an internet connection. It's pretty damn flexible.

I do have a problem with the Securom service that runs in the background stealing precious system memory. PC hardware has become really fast in recent years, but the computers themselves respond more slowly in a lot of cases due to programs like Securom running in the background all the time. I am against it on principle. Good software should never install an always-on system service unless it's server software.

bread's done
Back