pelican system selector pro $40 YMMV

minqqq

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
don't know if it's been posted, but i did a search and didn't find anything. gamestop B&M has system selector pros clearanced at $40. it may still say $80 but have them price check cause it's 50% off, and some do have a 50% off sticker. sweet find, been wanting this for a while and i still have to pick mine up.

[quote name='dwsscs'][quote name='shrike4242'][quote name='dwsscs']Don't they have a similar version of this at Gamestop for $25? It was in the forums a few months back, this was not a clearance but a every day thing.[/quote]

That was a huge shaq-fu-up, since it was supposed to be the newer, smaller version at that price. A few very lucky people managed to get it at that price, most didn't.[/quote]

I still see these at Gamestops! I didn't relize it was a screw up, and they are still at the low price.[/quote]

The newer, smaller one does 4 systems. The "Pro" version does 7.

[quote name='shrike4242'][quote name='dwsscs'][quote name='shrike4242'][quote name='dwsscs']Don't they have a similar version of this at Gamestop for $25? It was in the forums a few months back, this was not a clearance but a every day thing.[/quote]

That was a huge shaq-fu-up, since it was supposed to be the newer, smaller version at that price. A few very lucky people managed to get it at that price, most didn't.[/quote]

I still see these at Gamestops! I didn't relize it was a screw up, and they are still at the low price.[/quote]

The newer, smaller one does 4 systems. The "Pro" version does 7.[/quote]

Thats cool, I thought I was on to a special deal! Shaq fu my luck.

[quote name='sanjuro'][quote name='TC'][quote name='gamegeizer']Gamestop sells a 4 switch system for $ 25.00 that includes RCA Video, S Video, Ethernet Video, and Componet video. It is there own brand. I believe it uses AC current. So for the price it is pretty good.[/quote]

Can anyone locate this on the Gamestop website?[/quote]http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=801888

I was going to buy it the other night, but I noticed the gamestop logo so I decided to hold off and buy the regular version later on instead. they also had a sign saying $5 off (all?) system selectors but I didn't inquire about it.[/quote]

Ah thanks. Gamegeizer probably thought it had component video as well. I'm just looking for a 2 in and 1 out component switcher.

[quote name='minqqq']anyone else have any luck finding it for $40?[/quote]

No, not yet. I've checked 4 Gamestops in the KC area and the three that had it in stock still sold it for $80. There's two more that I still need to check. Oh, and just in case anyone was wondering the first two that I checked were the black model with the last being the silver.

[quote name='sanjuro'][quote name='TC'][quote name='gamegeizer']Gamestop sells a 4 switch system for $ 25.00 that includes RCA Video, S Video, Ethernet Video, and Componet video. It is there own brand. I believe it uses AC current. So for the price it is pretty good.[/quote]

Can anyone locate this on the Gamestop website?[/quote]http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=801888

I was going to buy it the other night, but I noticed the gamestop logo so I decided to hold off and buy the regular version later on instead. they also had a sign saying $5 off (all?) system selectors but I didn't inquire about it.[/quote]

I just bought this model, the one pictured, yesterday at Wal-Mart for $24.99. No Gamestop label of course. I believe the item is titled HD System Selector Pro or something similar, don't have the package in front of me to check. Works great though....have GC, XBOX, PS2, DVD all hooked through to a receiver. RE4 sounds MUCH better now.

[quote name='TC']Ah thanks. Gamegeizer probably thought it had component video as well. I'm just looking for a 2 in and 1 out component switcher.[/quote]it does have component video, or at least it should. I think the description is off.

[quote name='NeoGutsman']WeaponX666: You can get very inexpensive Saturn S-Video cables from the ConsoleAccessories.com closeout:

ConsoleAccessories.com Closeout Sale ($3.47 each).

They're not official, but they still work great. I've ordered from that site a few times and have gotten good service.

Good luck![/quote]

The cost is nice, but the shipping ($4.35!) kills the deal.
You can find the same cable for the same price all day, every day, on ebay. Here's one shipped for $7 (not my auction):
Cheaper S-Video cable.

GAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!! i went to pick mine up today and it was sold like an hour before i got there!!! ARGH!!!! and i guess this is an extreme YMMV acording to the manager. he could only think of 3 stores off the top of his head that were doing this clearance. GRRRR! why didn't i pick it up yesterday like i said i was going to!?

[quote name='shrike4242'][quote name='dwsscs']Don't they have a similar version of this at Gamestop for $25? It was in the forums a few months back, this was not a clearance but a every day thing.[/quote]

That was a huge shaq-fu-up, since it was supposed to be the newer, smaller version at that price. A few very lucky people managed to get it at that price, most didn't.[/quote]I was in Gamestop in Nashua, NH today. They had the high-end one for $80, not onsale. I picked up the smaller one for $25. They had about 5 of them.

I haven't opened it yet. Wanted to use it for Comcast Cable and XBox both composite input. Anyone try a configuration like this. If this thing sucks I would rather not open it and just return it.

[quote name='clariste']I just bought this model, the one pictured, yesterday at Wal-Mart for $24.99. No Gamestop label of course. I believe the item is titled HD System Selector Pro or something similar, don't have the package in front of me to check. Works great though....have GC, XBOX, PS2, DVD all hooked through to a receiver. RE4 sounds MUCH better now.[/quote] Does the one you bought have a power supply or not?

This is a major YMMV deal. My Gamestop (which I work for) sold both of ours at 50% off. That's why it was $40. Our DM gave the store manager approval to 50% any accessories he wanted to get rid of as long as they were delisted (which means we won't get restocked on them). We have a larger store with a glut of stuff, so he set up two dump bins and filled them up. This is NOT a Gamestop company deal, it's a "get rid of some crap in the store" sale.

A new version is coming out - that is why this one is being cleared out.

It's a great deal. I bought it at $100 and think it's great.

[quote name='minqqq']don't know if it's been posted, but i did a search and didn't find anything. gamestop B&M has system selector pros clearanced at $40. it may still say $80 but have them price check cause it's 50% off, and some do have a 50% off sticker. sweet find, been wanting this for a while and i still have to pick mine up.[/quote]

[quote name='jjct1'][quote name='clariste']I just bought this model, the one pictured, yesterday at Wal-Mart for $24.99. No Gamestop label of course. I believe the item is titled HD System Selector Pro or something similar, don't have the package in front of me to check. Works great though....have GC, XBOX, PS2, DVD all hooked through to a receiver. RE4 sounds MUCH better now.[/quote] Does the one you bought have a power supply or not?[/quote]

Don't think so, no.

No luck at 3 of my local GameStops. Employees at all three stores looked at me like I was totally crazy. I'm going to go call 4 others tomorrow...

[quote name='soulwish2003']A new version is coming out - that is why this one is being cleared out.

It's a great deal. I bought it at $100 and think it's great.[/quote]

Do you have any concrete information on the new version or did you make an assumption (albeit a perfectly reasonable one)?

[quote name='rapsodist'][quote name='soulwish2003']A new version is coming out - that is why this one is being cleared out.

Do you have any concrete information on the new version or did you make an assumption (albeit a perfectly reasonable one)?[/quote]

no... a new model. It's in one of the new videogame mags - either GMR or GameInformer or XBN (I read them all at work and they seem to all run together!!). I think it was GameInformer. The new one has a lower retail - either 79 or 89 dollars. I like the looks of the old one better. The new one is 'rounded' at the edges.

[quote name='jjct1']Wanted to use it for Comcast Cable and XBox both composite input. Anyone try a configuration like this. If this thing sucks I would rather not open it and just return it.[/quote]

If you are just running composite, there is no need to have this switcher. There are switchers that run composite for about $10.

Take it back.

[quote name='soulwish2003'][quote name='rapsodist'][quote name='soulwish2003']A new version is coming out - that is why this one is being cleared out.

Do you have any concrete information on the new version or did you make an assumption (albeit a perfectly reasonable one)?[/quote]

no... a new model. It's in one of the new videogame mags - either GMR or GameInformer or XBN (I read them all at work and they seem to all run together!!). I think it was GameInformer. The new one has a lower retail - either 79 or 89 dollars. I like the looks of the old one better. The new one is 'rounded' at the edges.[/quote]

Oh, so it's just the same device but with a new casing? No need for me to hold out then if I can find the current model for $40. Thanks for the info, soulwish.

Well, no luck after checking all 7 GameStops in my area... I want to ask if anyone can pick one up for me, but maybe the shipping cost would be too much? :(

That "new" model is in the new Game Informer, but is is the $25 model with a misprinted price. The model in the magazine states (and the pic shows) it only has 4 inputs, rather than the 8 of the Pro. It also lacks digital audio.

[quote name='rapsodist']Well, no luck after checking all 7 GameStops in my area... I want to ask if anyone can pick one up for me, but maybe the shipping cost would be too much? :([/quote]

there's still one in my area as of sunday but after taxes and shipping (and you'd probably want insurance), you would prolly only save $15?

Makes sense - because I thought it looked cheaper...

[quote name='Ikari Warrior']That "new" model is in the new Game Informer, but is is the $25 model with a misprinted price. The model in the magazine states (and the pic shows) it only has 4 inputs, rather than the 8 of the Pro. It also lacks digital audio.[/quote]

Okay...being somewhat picky on high end video, I have to comment in this thread.

First off, the 25 dollar version is a cheaper made version focusing on ONLY RCA inputs, and I think S video. It has 4 inputs like others have said. It does NOT have Digital Audio, and does NOT have component video.

The 80 dollar "Pro" does indeed have 7 or 8 inputs, all component, and digital audio. It's for higher end, like HDTV support.

All that being said, 40 dollars for that unit is a hell of a deal. I'm going to try and find this locally at a couple of places, even though I'm sure I won't find it. It's worth a shot for sure.

And yes, this has been tested and found to be inferior to 200 and 300+ dollar switchers. But, from hands on experience on HD forums, most say that to the human eye....there is no loss at all, even running 720p and 1080i source material.

So, if you have an HDTV and can take advantage of this deal, I'd definitely recommend you do it. I know for damn sure that it would help me with my Gamecube, xbox, ps2, HD cable, Progressive DVD, and Dreamcast.

For those who want more details on the Pelican System Selector Pro, check the schematics here:

Pelican website for the unit.

I absolutely love what it does for my setup. Keeps it nice and clean. I would like some way to create custom labels for the switches, as only more recent consoles are available out of the box.

I don't care how much the thing cost, I'm getting another one to accomodate the systems that I do not have plugged into my Pelican System Selector Pro. The thing rocks!

Although, $40 would be nice. I'm going to start looking around too.

[quote name='minqqq'][quote name='rapsodist']Well, no luck after checking all 7 GameStops in my area... I want to ask if anyone can pick one up for me, but maybe the shipping cost would be too much? :([/quote]

there's still one in my area as of sunday but after taxes and shipping (and you'd probably want insurance), you would prolly only save $15?[/quote]

Hmm, would the savings really be so little? I'm thinking that if the unit costs $40, then tax would be another $4. I know that box is pretty darn big, although it's much lighter than it looks, so I'd say shipping would be about $8? (I may be totally wrong with that estimate though.) That puts the total to somewhere around $52, still a savings of over $30 over the original price plus tax.

[quote name='breathofj']Okay...being somewhat picky on high end video, I have to comment in this thread.

First off, the 25 dollar version is a cheaper made version focusing on ONLY RCA inputs, and I think S video. It has 4 inputs like others have said. It does NOT have Digital Audio, and does NOT have component video.
[/quote]

Actually the smaller version does come with component outputs but doesn't have support for digital audio. How good the bandwith is on the cheaper version is another story. I haven't seen anything on it.

I've searched around six Gamestops in the KC area and have had no luck. There's one more that I know of but I'm not even sure if it's worth the shot. Man, I hope I could come across one of those at a good price, it is a great deal.

[quote name='Kin Korn Karn']For those who want more details on the Pelican System Selector Pro, check the schematics here:

Pelican website for the unit.

I absolutely love what it does for my setup. Keeps it nice and clean. I would like some way to create custom labels for the switches, as only more recent consoles are available out of the box.

I don't care how much the thing cost, I'm getting another one to accomodate the systems that I do not have plugged into my Pelican System Selector Pro. The thing rocks!

Although, $40 would be nice. I'm going to start looking around too.[/quote]

where did you get those cabinets and shelves for your games/systems?

[quote name='rperez1025'][quote name='breathofj']Okay...being somewhat picky on high end video, I have to comment in this thread.

[/quote]

Actually the smaller version does come with component outputs but doesn't have support for digital audio. How good the bandwith is on the cheaper version is another story. I haven't seen anything on it.

I've searched around six Gamestops in the KC area and have had no luck. There's one more that I know of but I'm not even sure if it's worth the shot. Man, I hope I could come across one of those at a good price, it is a great deal.[/quote]

Are you absolutely positive about component outputs? If it does have that, I would find that strange given the fact that it doesn't have component inputs for any of the systems. That kind of defeats the purpose.

[quote name='breathofj'][quote name='rperez1025'][quote name='breathofj']Okay...being somewhat picky on high end video, I have to comment in this thread.

[/quote]

I've searched around six Gamestops in the KC area and have had no luck. There's one more that I know of but I'm not even sure if it's worth the shot. Man, I hope I could come across one of those at a good price, it is a great deal.[/quote]

Are you absolutely positive about component outputs? If it does have that, I would find that strange given the fact that it doesn't have component inputs for any of the systems. That kind of defeats the purpose.[/quote]

My bad. I meant to say 'inputs' and not 'outputs'. The only thing is, looking at the picture from that site, if four inputs are supported I don't see where the output is. From the picture it looks like it is 3 inputs and 1 output yet it shows 4 selector buttons.

Hmm, after reading it a little better it seems that there is a plate on the front that flips down that only supports up to S-video. So it's 4 inputs (1 s-video and 3 component) and 1 output that you would have to bring back both s-video and component since it doesn't upconvert the s-video.

[quote name='breathofj']First off, the 25 dollar version is a cheaper made version focusing on ONLY RCA inputs, and I think S video. It has 4 inputs like others have said. It does NOT have Digital Audio, and does NOT have component video. [/quote]

The $25 version is called an HD selector for a reason, it does component video. Don't state facts unless you know they're true. Otherwise you're just wasting time. DON'T emphasize words unless you know what YOU'RE talking about.

78104206018tw.jpg

78104206025mp.jpg

[quote name='Daddy']OK so noone has a confirmation on this :roll:[/quote]

heeeeeeeeeeey i have confirmation, although i am the OP.

[quote name='weaponx666'][quote name='breathofj']First off, the 25 dollar version is a cheaper made version focusing on ONLY RCA inputs, and I think S video. It has 4 inputs like others have said. It does NOT have Digital Audio, and does NOT have component video. [/quote]

The $25 version is called an HD selector for a reason, it does component video. Don't state facts unless you know they're true. Otherwise you're just wasting time. DON'T emphasize words unless you know what YOU'RE talking about.[/quote]I busted open the $25 version and tried it out. Works great. I have component video setup for Comcast cable and XBox. Both look great, I can't see any degredation in video. IMO well worth the $25.

[quote name='PusherRobot']Here in FL Walmart has it for $24.97 and Gamestop is $25.[/quote]

those are most likely not the pro version. the pro has 7 inputs, while the $25 ones have 4.

I went to Fry's today and saw the NEW System Selector Pro. It looks exactly the same as the original model (to me), BUT this one also uses a credit-card type remote control to wirelessly change inputs.

[quote name='aaronprather']I went to Fry's today and saw the NEW System Selector Pro. It looks exactly the same as the original model (to me), BUT this one also uses a credit-card type remote control to wirelessly change inputs.[/quote]

I guess they really did come out with a newer model. Thanks for the info. Maybe now the older models will have a better chance of going on clearance.

Just in case anyone wanted an inexpensive fix for a component switch, you can still use a normal manual composite switch to do the same thing if you only needed video. To hook up your component cable to a composite switch, just wire the Red cable to Red connector, Blue cable to Yellow connector and Green cable to White connector. As long as it's a good quality switch with good connectors and contacts, you are good to go (that's why the pelican non pro version is only $25).

If you only have two component sources you don't even need a switch, you can just use three RCA Y-adapter cables (five if you need audio also) like this one but not Monster brand, as long as neither of the sources send a signal while they are off.

I'm waiting on some component cables from Nintendo and I'm going to use a composite switch as a solution until I can find a nice component switch that changes digital audio also.

The Y-adapter cable method doesn't work too well because the PS2 (and some Xbox models) even when it is in standby mode will still put out a continuous impedeance audio signal that blocks audio signals from other consoles. Since the PS2 and the Xbox are turned on and off by electronic switches, they are never really totally off. The GameCube, however, uses a physical on/off switch and doesn't suffer from this "problem".

The Y-adapter cable method doesn't work too well because the PS2 (and some Xbox models) even when it is in standby mode will still put out a continuous impedeance audio signal that blocks audio signals from other consoles. Since the PS2 and the Xbox are turned on and off by electronic switches, they are never really totally off. The GameCube, however, uses a physical on/off switch and doesn't suffer from this "problem".

I can confirm this. I have a Mad Catz universal a/v cable (dreamcast, gamecube, ps2)...with my old PS2 (release model) it was OK because we used the power switch on the back. The new model PStwo I swapped thee old one for seems to put out audio enough to block the other consoles when it is in standby (there is no hard power off switch). Thus the cable on the PS2 has to be removed to get sound from the Dreamcast or the Gamecube. :(

I've been dealing with this for a few months but I play a rewire of my game systems soon.

I have a 20" toshiba tv with component inputs and the gamestop system selector hooked up. No problems at all.

When I hooked the same system selector up through the same wires to my 32" tv with stereo I noticed some lines on the screen on the xbox yet the gamecube component was clear.

You really just have to take it home, try it and if it doesn't work for your set up return it.

How are the component cables that come with the selector??? Any good, or do you need to replace them...Cus' if so, that would drive up the price on the whole purchase

Microcenter link

This was posted a while back with the other microcenter deals but really didn't get too much attention as it was mixed in with a lot of other gaming deals. I know a lot of people were interested in getting it at gamestop for the $40 price tag but the newer model with the remote is now available at microcenter for $10 more.

I ordered one for in store pick-up and the total came to a little under $54. If you have it shipped it comes to $56. In case anyone is wondering, I believe the only color available from Microcenter is silver.

I haven't had the chance to put it through it's paces yet but I look to do that soon. I'm just stoked that I found a decent switcher to hook up all my consoles to.

bread's done
Back