Penny Guides at BestBuy.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a VERY interesting thing that happened when I went to one of the BB's by me.

I went to go pick up Kingdom Under Fire for jimbodan, and of course, I was going to use a 2005 GGC on it, knocking it down to $14.99. In doing so, I found 2 RC:UYA guides, 4 MG:TTS guides and a SW:The Clone Wars ($2.99, why not?) guide.

Went to the register, the rep rang in all the guides, then KUF. Gave her the coupon, and then went to go pay for it.

For some reason, the GGC knocked $0.01 offf the $0.01 guides, down to $0.00. It also knocked $2.99 off the Clone Wars guide, down to $0.00. Of course, it put KUF down to $14.99.

So, yes, as you've read, I picked up seven game guides for FREE. And you thought $0.01 was good, eh? Beat you there, so nyah nyah. :p

Might want to try this, if you're looking at picking up a game with a GGC at BB and find a $0.01 game guide there, just for bragging rights. :D :D

And as a side note, I wouldn't mind getting a Def Jam Fight For NY guide for one of my new arrivals.

[quote name='shrike4242']Here's a VERY interesting thing that happened when I went to one of the BB's by me.

I went to go pick up Kingdom Under Fire for jimbodan, and of course, I was going to use a 2005 GGC on it, knocking it down to $14.99. In doing so, I found 2 RC:UYA guides, 4 MG:TTS guides and a SW:The Clone Wars ($2.99, why not?) guide.

Went to the register, the rep rang in all the guides, then KUF. Gave her the coupon, and then went to go pay for it.

For some reason, the GGC knocked $0.01 offf the $0.01 guides, down to $0.00. It also knocked $2.99 off the Clone Wars guide, down to $0.00. Of course, it put KUF down to $14.99.

So, yes, as you've read, I picked up seven game guides for FREE. And you thought $0.01 was good, eh? Beat you there, so nyah nyah. :p

Might want to try this, if you're looking at picking up a game with a GGC at BB and find a $0.01 game guide there, just for bragging rights. :D :D

And as a side note, I wouldn't mind getting a Def Jam Fight For NY guide for one of my new arrivals.[/quote]

the GGC doesnt knock the penny off. If you buy nothing else, you will still get charged a penny, but I bought advance wars 2 for $10 on the same receipt as my guides and that knocked the penny off each so they were all free.

Since there was a high volume of response on the Star Ocean guide I went out and tried to get more for other CAGers... (just so you know if you PMed me I'll get back to all of you soon).

I went to the WLA, CA store today. Not too much. Almost all of the guides were damaged. There's about a 4" piece of plexiglas in front of the guides and they get bent down over that. So almost all of the guides have this mark on them. I looked through and tried to get the best copies I could. They had a pretty crappy selection compared to my last stop.

Ace Combat 5 (only one left, has the bend and a bad fold)
Crash
Turtles 2 x2
Pikmin 2 (got the bend)
THUG 2 x2
NBA Live 2005
Smackdown/Raw

and at my TRU:
Rainbow Six 3 x6 (70% off $.01)

Meh, I'm going back to Culver City Best Buy again tonight, I think.

[quote name='Zon27']Since there was a high volume of response on the Star Ocean guide I went out and tried to get more for other CAGers... (just so you know if you PMed me I'll get back to all of you soon).

I went to the WLA, CA store today. Not too much. Almost all of the guides were damaged. There's about a 4" piece of plexiglas in front of the guides and they get bent down over that. So almost all of the guides have this mark on them. I looked through and tried to get the best copies I could. They had a pretty crappy selection compared to my last stop.

Ace Combat 5 (only one left, has the bend and a bad fold)
Crash
Turtles 2 x2
Pikmin 2 (got the bend)
THUG 2 x2
NBA Live 2005
Smackdown/Raw

and at my TRU:
Rainbow Six 3 x6 (70% off $.01)

Meh, I'm going back to Culver City Best Buy again tonight, I think.[/quote]

heh, i picked up a couple of the so3 guides from the bestbuy on washington blvd in culver city on monday and gave them out. they had a half dozen but they are all gone now, if anyone can hook me up on a cheapass one or trade me one, that would be awesome.

Hey gang,
I'm not for sure if it was mentioned in the other $.01 guide thread, but I looked through this one and I couldn't find any word on it...

Anyway, I found these two guide at my local Best Buy, that I didn't see mentioned here:
Syphon Filter: The Omega Strain - $0.01
Spider-Man 2: The Game - $0.05

If these are already known, please disregard. :wink:

I NEED "STAR OCEAN 3" Guide...

i have

pikmin 2
doa : ultimate
manhunt
crash twinsanity
star wars battlefront
burnout 3
smack down vs raw
ace combat 5
espn 2k5
def jam fight for NY
thug 2
the incredibles

if u want me to trade i will give u "any three" guides for u.. also i can pay for star ocean 3
please PM me.. trade or sell ...

[quote name='shrike4242']Here's a VERY interesting thing that happened when I went to one of the BB's by me.

And as a side note, I wouldn't mind getting a Def Jam Fight For NY guide for one of my new arrivals.[/quote]

think that is werid i was checking my email and im getting email from BB to pick up my orders from Appleglen.. Well it seems since i had 4 orders to pick up they only put up on order. So i got 8 books for 2 cents

I went to Clackamas, OR Best Buy yesterday on a long bus ride. And there was ZERO penny guides! Then when I went to the GameStop closer to my house, I found a lot of the old Best Buy penny guides (Psi-Ops, Silent Hill 4, MGS: TS) for $1.99 each. Then I got really mad! Somewhere on this board there is a lurker buying all the guides for a penny just to make a 49 cent profit. I may have bought all the last round guides on two different trips in 2 weeks, but I traded all those guides to people on CAG who didn't find the guides at their stores. Hell I could sell my four Max Payne 2 guides on Amazon for $10 each, but I prefer to help out other CAGs and build my collection instead. So whoever bought all the guides at Clackamas, OR BB store, you have no balls. SHame on you.

And now I shall laugh. I have some guides I found at a GameStop that I will trade for Star Ocean 3 and Pikmin 2, just PM me or check the tradelist in my sig.

I scored big last night, picked up about 10 different guides all previously mentioned except for TRON 2.0 which I found in the PC section.

[quote name='dracula'][quote name='shrike4242']Here's a VERY interesting thing that happened when I went to one of the BB's by me.

the GGC doesnt knock the penny off. If you buy nothing else, you will still get charged a penny, but I bought advance wars 2 for $10 on the same receipt as my guides and that knocked the penny off each so they were all free.[/quote]

Interesting, I too bought Advance Wars 2, but the penny charges were not removed.

[quote name='sarkenobi']I went to Clackamas, OR Best Buy yesterday on a long bus ride. And there was ZERO penny guides! Then when I went to the GameStop closer to my house, I found a lot of the old Best Buy penny guides (Psi-Ops, Silent Hill 4, MGS: TS) for $1.99 each. Then I got really mad! Somewhere on this board there is a lurker buying all the guides for a penny just to make a 49 cent profit. I may have bought all the last round guides on two different trips in 2 weeks, but I traded all those guides to people on CAG who didn't find the guides at their stores. Hell I could sell my four Max Payne 2 guides on Amazon for $10 each, but I prefer to help out other CAGs and build my collection instead. So whoever bought all the guides at Clackamas, OR BB store, you have no balls. SHame on you.
[/quote]

Whoever did that was really mentally stupid. A 49 cent profit isn't near worth it with the time you put in and the gas you used up to go from BB to Gamestop. It was better to benefit others than to gain an extra few dollars over some pennies.

I feel for you, lurkers suck.

[quote name='sarkenobi']I went to Clackamas, OR Best Buy yesterday on a long bus ride. And there was ZERO penny guides! Then when I went to the GameStop closer to my house, I found a lot of the old Best Buy penny guides (Psi-Ops, Silent Hill 4, MGS: TS) for $1.99 each. Then I got really mad! Somewhere on this board there is a lurker buying all the guides for a penny just to make a 49 cent profit. I may have bought all the last round guides on two different trips in 2 weeks, but I traded all those guides to people on CAG who didn't find the guides at their stores. Hell I could sell my four Max Payne 2 guides on Amazon for $10 each, but I prefer to help out other CAGs and build my collection instead. So whoever bought all the guides at Clackamas, OR BB store, you have no balls. SHame on you.

And now I shall laugh. I have some guides I found at a GameStop that I will trade for Star Ocean 3 and Pikmin 2, just PM me or check the tradelist in my sig.[/quote]

yeah, majority of gamestop sells used guides for $1.99. If you are like me, you would remove the price sticker and place it on the guide you want.....worked for me twice. The sticker should say generic PS2/GC/xbox guide on it. $1.99 for a $14.99 guide.

[quote name='Dazz'][quote name='sarkenobi']I went to Clackamas, OR Best Buy yesterday on a long bus ride. And there was ZERO penny guides! Then when I went to the GameStop closer to my house, I found a lot of the old Best Buy penny guides (Psi-Ops, Silent Hill 4, MGS: TS) for $1.99 each. Then I got really mad! Somewhere on this board there is a lurker buying all the guides for a penny just to make a 49 cent profit. I may have bought all the last round guides on two different trips in 2 weeks, but I traded all those guides to people on CAG who didn't find the guides at their stores. Hell I could sell my four Max Payne 2 guides on Amazon for $10 each, but I prefer to help out other CAGs and build my collection instead. So whoever bought all the guides at Clackamas, OR BB store, you have no balls. SHame on you.

And now I shall laugh. I have some guides I found at a GameStop that I will trade for Star Ocean 3 and Pikmin 2, just PM me or check the tradelist in my sig.[/quote]

yeah, majority of gamestop sells used guides for $1.99. If you are like me, you would remove the price sticker and place it on the guide you want.....worked for me twice. The sticker should say generic PS2/GC/xbox guide on it. $1.99 for a $14.99 guide.[/quote]

dont know about wher you live but in mass thats called 5-10 years

[quote name='Dazz'][quote name='sarkenobi']I went to Clackamas, OR Best Buy yesterday on a long bus ride. And there was ZERO penny guides! Then when I went to the GameStop closer to my house, I found a lot of the old Best Buy penny guides (Psi-Ops, Silent Hill 4, MGS: TS) for $1.99 each. Then I got really mad! Somewhere on this board there is a lurker buying all the guides for a penny just to make a 49 cent profit. I may have bought all the last round guides on two different trips in 2 weeks, but I traded all those guides to people on CAG who didn't find the guides at their stores. Hell I could sell my four Max Payne 2 guides on Amazon for $10 each, but I prefer to help out other CAGs and build my collection instead. So whoever bought all the guides at Clackamas, OR BB store, you have no balls. SHame on you.

yeah, majority of gamestop sells used guides for $1.99. If you are like me, you would remove the price sticker and place it on the guide you want.....worked for me twice. The sticker should say generic PS2/GC/xbox guide on it. $1.99 for a $14.99 guide.[/quote]

Wow. Just wow.

doooode, that is theft, what are you thinking. God, you could just as easily get the same info on the net, without screwing up your future. If your going to steal at least make it worthwhile.

You are such an asshole.

:shock: #-o :censored: :whistle2:$ :imwithst:

Dave

Thankfully, we are not like you. ass=you. I call on all decent CAGs to flame this fool at every opportunity. :fridge:

1000+ posts and you haven't caught on that thing like this are frowned upon? What kind of idiot are you?

i just wanted to quote this again

Reminds me of the movie "Better Luck Tomorrow" when the guys switch tags on merchandise or whatever and they bring it to the counter

And yeah, that's pretty stupid to do since you can get in big trouble

This makes me sad.

[quote name='Kuma'][quote name='Dazz'][quote name='sarkenobi']I went to Clackamas, OR Best Buy yesterday on a long bus ride. And there was ZERO penny guides! Then when I went to the GameStop closer to my house, I found a lot of the old Best Buy penny guides (Psi-Ops, Silent Hill 4, MGS: TS) for $1.99 each. Then I got really mad! Somewhere on this board there is a lurker buying all the guides for a penny just to make a 49 cent profit. I may have bought all the last round guides on two different trips in 2 weeks, but I traded all those guides to people on CAG who didn't find the guides at their stores. Hell I could sell my four Max Payne 2 guides on Amazon for $10 each, but I prefer to help out other CAGs and build my collection instead. So whoever bought all the guides at Clackamas, OR BB store, you have no balls. SHame on you.

i just wanted to quote this again[/quote]

Quoted again on your behalf.

Just for those of you who are wondering why Best Buy decides to trash the penny guides instead of selling them, or bundling them with games.. it's because a transaction with 32 items that only rings up for 35 cents makes their daily reports look very bad. lots of sales like that would bring down their average ticket sales which looks bad to the higher-ups.

Thats why my manager always refuses to do it at GameCrazy unless the person is buying something else or gets a pre-order. He wouldn't even let me BUY one Resident Evil 2 and another Resident Evil 3 versus guides I found in our back room that were brand new, but in the system as 0.01. I had to do two pre-orders, in order to "help our numbers" so thats why you might have difficulty finding these.

There are no words in existence to accurately convey the amazing new level of idiocy you have displayed.

No words.

[quote name='jer7583']Just for those of you who are wondering why Best Buy decides to trash the penny guides instead of selling them, or bundling them with games.. it's because a transaction with 32 items that only rings up for 35 cents makes their daily reports look very bad. lots of sales like that would bring down their average ticket sales which looks bad to the higher-ups.

Thats why my manager always refuses to do it at GameCrazy unless the person is buying something else or gets a pre-order. He wouldn't even let me BUY one Resident Evil 2 and another Resident Evil 3 versus guides I found in our back room that were brand new, but in the system as 0.01. I had to do two pre-orders, in order to "help our numbers" so thats why you might have difficulty finding these.[/quote]

If that makes a Best Buy store look bad, then there are a couple of Best Buys near me that I have made look like the dog poop you scrape off the bottom of your shoe on a hot summer's day. :twisted:

[quote name='darkwingduck13']
If that makes a Best Buy store look bad, then there are a couple of Best Buys near me that I have made look like the dog poop you scrape off the bottom of your shoe on a hot summer's day. :twisted:[/quote]

well, some just don't care, or have managers that just don't know about these things.

[quote name='jer7583'][quote name='darkwingduck13']
If that makes a Best Buy store look bad, then there are a couple of Best Buys near me that I have made look like the dog poop you scrape off the bottom of your shoe on a hot summer's day. :twisted:[/quote]

well, some just don't care, or have managers that just don't know about these things.[/quote]

I hope they continue to not care for a long, long time. Though one of the two that I frequent has already started caring, I think, since they pull the 1-cent guides now instead of letting them languish on the shelves indefinitely. :roll:

[quote name='darkwingduck13'][quote name='jer7583'][quote name='darkwingduck13']

well, some just don't care, or have managers that just don't know about these things.[/quote]

I hope they continue to not care for a long, long time. Though one of the two that I frequent has already started caring, I think, since they pull the 1-cent guides now instead of letting them languish on the shelves indefinitely. :roll:[/quote]

They care at my store. Penny guides are getting pulled quickly.

[quote name='jer7583']Just for those of you who are wondering why Best Buy decides to trash the penny guides instead of selling them, or bundling them with games.. it's because a transaction with 32 items that only rings up for 35 cents makes their daily reports look very bad. lots of sales like that would bring down their average ticket sales which looks bad to the higher-ups.

Thats why my manager always refuses to do it at GameCrazy unless the person is buying something else or gets a pre-order. He wouldn't even let me BUY one Resident Evil 2 and another Resident Evil 3 versus guides I found in our back room that were brand new, but in the system as 0.01. I had to do two pre-orders, in order to "help our numbers" so thats why you might have difficulty finding these.[/quote]

yeah it lowers the per cap....but they are clearance...they wouldn't put them down to a penny and not expect people to try and buy them...

[quote name='schultzed'][quote name='darkwingduck13'][quote name='jer7583'][quote name='darkwingduck13']

I hope they continue to not care for a long, long time. Though one of the two that I frequent has already started caring, I think, since they pull the 1-cent guides now instead of letting them languish on the shelves indefinitely. :roll:[/quote]

They care at my store. Penny guides are getting pulled quickly.[/quote]

It all depends on what numbers the regional managers are anxious about at any given time. The individual store managers have a lot of stuff to worry about from day to day so most of them probably aren't too concerned about penny guides unless they're getting pressure from above.

yeah but taking such a high percentage loss on something (in this case a 99% loss) has some very positive effects come tax time

[quote name='peteyrose'][quote name='Dazz']I was just joking.....jeez guys have some humor.[/quote]

I'm sure you were. :roll:[/quote]

my thoughts exactly. the only thing worse than a tool saying something stupid is a tool saying something stupid and then trying to play it off as a joke when he gets called out.

pathetic.

My local BB pull off all penny guide. I endup pickup Star Ocean Guide for $1.99 plus taxes (used price) but the guide totally BRAND NEW :)

Try local Gamestop/Babbage if you wanted paid extra $1.98 plus taxes ;)

Mods, can we move this to the Deal Discussions forum since this is pretty much dead? The only guide left on the site for a penny is S vs R and I doubt it will come back in stock.

[quote name='bmarquardt']Mods, can we move this to the Deal Discussions forum since this is pretty much dead? The only guide left on the site for a penny is S vs R and I doubt it will come back in stock.[/quote]

Still alive at B&M

[quote name='62t'][quote name='bmarquardt']Mods, can we move this to the Deal Discussions forum since this is pretty much dead? The only guide left on the site for a penny is S vs R and I doubt it will come back in stock.[/quote]

Still alive at B&M[/quote]

That's what the penny guide discussion thread is for.

[quote name='bmarquardt'][quote name='62t'][quote name='bmarquardt']Mods, can we move this to the Deal Discussions forum since this is pretty much dead? The only guide left on the site for a penny is S vs R and I doubt it will come back in stock.[/quote]

Still alive at B&M[/quote]

That's what the penny guide discussion thread is for.[/quote]

execpt that majority of the post in this thread is about people getting it in B&M

I could care less if a bunch of teenagers believe me or not. I haven seen Gamestop empolyees sell used guides for the price of new ones eventhough it is used, same with some games. The whole sticker incident came to me when i saw what the actual sticker looks like. Besides, if i really did do this, would i be looking for a Star OCean guide? Wouldn't i be a dumbazz and place one of those stickers, which probably wouldn't re stick anywayz, on a new guy. Please i have better things to do with my time. It was a cheapass joke for abunch of cheapassgamers.

[quote name='Masterkyo']My local BB pull off all penny guide. I endup pickup Star Ocean Guide for $1.99 plus taxes (used price) but the guide totally BRAND NEW :)

Try local Gamestop/Babbage if you wanted paid extra $1.98 plus taxes ;)[/quote]

So how long has English been your second language? :)

[quote name='Dazz']I could care less if a bunch of teenagers believe me or not. I haven seen Gamestop empolyees sell used guides for the price of new ones eventhough it is used, same with some games. The whole sticker incident came to me when i saw what the actual sticker looks like. Besides, if i really did do this, would i be looking for a Star OCean guide? Wouldn't i be a dumbazz and place one of those stickers, which probably wouldn't re stick anywayz, on a new guy. Please i have better things to do with my time. It was a cheapass joke for abunch of cheapassgamers.[/quote]

Hey, organicow, you were right. He really is pathetic trying to justify his previous statements.
Try being the adult you claim to be and be honest. Loser.

[quote name='organicow'][quote name='peteyrose'][quote name='Dazz']I was just joking.....jeez guys have some humor.[/quote]

I'm sure you were. :roll:[/quote]

my thoughts exactly. the only thing worse than a tool saying something stupid is a tool saying something stupid and then trying to play it off as a joke when he gets called out.

pathetic.[/quote]

A tool is a tool, no matter the packaging around it.

[quote name='Dazz']I could care less if a bunch of teenagers believe me or not. I haven seen Gamestop empolyees sell used guides for the price of new ones eventhough it is used, same with some games. The whole sticker incident came to me when i saw what the actual sticker looks like. Besides, if i really did do this, would i be looking for a Star OCean guide? Wouldn't i be a dumbazz and place one of those stickers, which probably wouldn't re stick anywayz, on a new guy. Please i have better things to do with my time. It was a cheapass joke for abunch of cheapassgamers.[/quote]

Shaq-fuing tool indeed.

[quote name='shrike4242']

Shaq-fuing tool indeed.[/quote]

Heh, my internet lingo isn't that great. Could someone please explain to me what a tool means?

In this case, 'tool' is a slang word referring to one of the two meanings below:

A penis, implying its supposed usefulness.

or

An idiot, a contemptible person.

- Brought to you by the power of Google.

[quote name='oper00'][quote name='shrike4242']

Shaq-fuing tool indeed.[/quote]

Heh, my internet lingo isn't that great. Could someone please explain to me what a tool means?[/quote]
or it could mean Douche Tool, meaning damned idiot or useless.

Yesterday I picked up Def Jam Fight For NY (last one), DOA Ultimate (last one), Psi-Ops (last one), and NCAA Football 2005 guides for a penny each....I didn't even know they were on the list I just brought a whole bunch to the counter and the CSR was surprised and one of the managers was like "How come they are a penny each".....duh he doesn't even know shit going on in his own store...big fucking surprise.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back