People watch the olympics?

Murderstorm

CAGiversary!
Its boring as hell ive never understood what all the hype is winning a random obscure event like ping pong. And why do people get excited about Micheal phelps he swims. I take big dumps in the morning but people don't admire me or give me a medal for that. The olympics make the wnba seem action packed. And the commentators they make phone operators seem smart.

I love the Olympics but this year, I don't know -- I just have no clue what the hell NBC is doing. It's not live, they jump between things almost at random, never repeat what stage the event is at, hardly ever show another country, interviews suck, and the announcers for everything are just awful -- except the gymnastics guy. Website is a fucking mess.

Then there are spoilers on the front page of every news site since it all happened 6 hours prior.

[quote name='panzerfaust']I love the Olympics but this year, I don't know -- I just have no clue what the hell NBC is doing. It's not live, they jump between things almost at random, never repeat what stage the event is at, hardly ever show another country, interviews suck, and the announcers for everything are just awful -- except the gymnastics guy. Website is a fucking mess.

Then there are spoilers on the front page of every news site since it all happened 6 hours prior.[/QUOTE]

NBC's coverage plan (i.e. timing the footage to make as much money from prime time ads as possible) is pretty bad and they know it, hence their move to silence any critics. The volume of content available is the largest from any televised Olympiad to date but their decision to delay it makes the whole thing weird.

I'll still watch them since I enjoy watching sports, especially ones that I'd only see every four years.

I like to watch boxing, but they only maybe have a couple fights sprinkled in and then say "Well, let's go see what's going on elsewhere at the Olympics." and that's it. But every motherfucking swimming competition seems like it's on all day with no commercial interruption and a national holiday declared so everybody can stay home from work and watch it.

[quote name='panzerfaust']I love the Olympics but this year, I don't know -- I just have no clue what the hell NBC is doing. It's not live, they jump between things almost at random, never repeat what stage the event is at, hardly ever show another country, interviews suck, and the announcers for everything are just awful -- except the gymnastics guy. Website is a fucking mess.

Then there are spoilers on the front page of every news site since it all happened 6 hours prior.[/QUOTE]
So uh, you'd stay up all night to watch? I'm betting most Americans are sleeping or working when the olympics are being recorded. Most of the live stuff is in the afternoon when people could actually watch.

wow - how can you be so ignorant? I don't watch all of the different sports but you're talking smack about swimming? You've got to be really fit to compete in that.

Swimming and track might be the most exciting to watch for me. The swimming relay race yesterday was incredible. The US was leading when their 4th man jumped in and the French came back and won gold.

Maybe if dodgeball, American Football, hot dog eating, skateboarding and break dancing were olympic sports I'd watch. Not fucking swimming.

Clearly the OP is a child, or has the brain of one.

Yes, people watch the Olympics. About 40 million watched the opening ceremony this year. Other networks have shuffled around programing due to the olypimics.

True. Clearly the Olympics are a big deal or they wouldn't be...well, such a big deal. Their numbers are massive and just because most Americans don't find anything other then UFC fights and football exciting doesn't mean the rest of the world doesn't.

[quote name='Lyricsborn']Maybe if dodgeball, American Football, hot dog eating, skateboarding and break dancing were olympic sports I'd watch. Not fucking swimming.[/QUOTE]

I demand Olympic Break Dancing

I'm begginning to realize that this must be where all the kids who had "medical excuses" or parent permission slips to "opt out" of P.E. in highschool congregrate.

Some of the feats that occur at the Olympics are amazing. Any idiot can swim or play ping pong but not at that level you will see over the next several days.

[quote name='GBAstar']I'm begginning to realize that this must be where all the kids who had "medical excuses" or parent permission slips to "opt out" of P.E. in highschool congregrate.

Some of the feats that occur at the Olympics are amazing. Any idiot can swim or play ping pong but not at that level you will see over the next several days.[/QUOTE]
lol feats? jumping 15 feet across a pool of sand isn't a feat. Its jumping 15 feet across a pool of sand.

Curing cancer, space exploration, and exploring human existentialism in a literary work are feats.

[quote name='jngx80']wow - how can you be so ignorant? I don't watch all of the different sports but you're talking smack about swimming? You've got to be really fit to compete in that.[/QUOTE]

What's ignorant about wanting to watch other shit than swimming? I didn't shit talk the sport of swimming (I actually watched some of it last Olympics). I shit-talked the imbalance in what gets on TV and what doesn't. And that boxing is something I wish they had on more. Because god knows that sport is being killed by MMA and isn't really on TV a whole lot to begin with anymore.

But the Olympics is pure boxing untainted by PPV, promoters, and tomato can fights just so a boxer appears active while dodging who he should be fighting. It's a tournament and you fight who you're told to fight when you're told to fight them. Would be nice to watch the whole thing play out. Not just a couple rounds of one fight at 3:00 in the morning.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']It is a feat if not everyone can do it. Can you jump forward 15 feet? Oh, you can't? I see.[/QUOTE]
Then by your logic me rolling my tongue is a feat because 50% of the population can't do it? Your criteria is flawed.

[quote name='mrspicytacoman']Then by your logic me rolling my tongue is a feat because 50% of the population can't do it? Your criteria is flawed.[/QUOTE]

99.999% of the population couldn't compete at a level high enough to qualify for a single event at the olympics.

What is wrong with society today is we have output a generation of losers. Kids who get 4th runner up trophies; were graded on a curve; given A+++++ and "attaboys" for graduating middleschool.

The problem with society is we have people who think they are special because they can roll their tongue and wipe their ass. These olympians test the limits of the physical human body. No one says you have to appreciate it but their are millions upon millions out there who do.

[quote name='GBAstar']99.999% of the population couldn't compete at a level high enough to qualify for a single event at the olympics.

What is wrong with society today is we have output a generation of losers. Kids who get 4th runner up trophies; were graded on a curve; given A+++++ and "attaboys" for graduating middleschool.

The problem with society is we have people who think they are special because they can roll their tongue and wipe their ass. These olympians test the limits of the physical human body. No one says you have to appreciate it but their are millions upon millions out there who do.[/QUOTE]
Yes, because I'm sure you've taken an adequate amount of sociology and psychology to determine what society's problem today is lol.

[quote name='GBAstar']99.999% of the population couldn't compete at a level high enough to qualify for a single event at the olympics.

The problem with society is we have people who think they are special because they can roll their tongue and wipe their ass. These olympians test the limits of the physical human body. No one says you have to appreciate it but their are millions upon millions out there who do.[/QUOTE]
24057665.jpg
[/URL]

lol do you look like this?

ive watched the judo matches from 3am-7am live every day so far.

[quote name='Jodou']So uh, you'd stay up all night to watch? I'm betting most Americans are sleeping or working when the olympics are being recorded. Most of the live stuff is in the afternoon when people could actually watch.[/QUOTE]

Since I don't watch sports of any kind as it is, I'm gonna say NO. Although I was kinda forced to watch some of the male swimming and gymnastics last night at a buddies' house when his nieces wanted to watch it. I kinda got a kick out of the one UK gymnasts breaking into a bit of a break dancing routine, but that was the extent of interest I showed the whole time watching it.

Now if female topless limbo was an Olympic sport, I'd watch..... A LOT. But as it stands the women kinda looked like the men due to their possibly 'roid enhanced biceps and small chests, so that event likely wouldn't be very interesting either.:razz:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']
Now if female topless limbo was an Olympic sport, I'd watch..... A LOT. But as it stands the women kinda looked like the men due to their possibly 'roid enhanced biceps and small chests, so that event likely wouldn't be very interesting either.:razz:[/QUOTE]

What about volleyball?
may.jpg

For the most part though they're flat chested. I'm not really a butt man, in other words.;) Now if Pamela Anderson in her prime was playing volleyball on the Olympics, then sign me up.;)

I'm not watching simply because I think the point of all this has been lost. It's simply about the money now.

[quote name='Clak']I'm not watching simply because I think the point of all this has been lost. It's simply about the money now.[/QUOTE]

Vancouver-2012-Winter-Olympics.jpg

Official Restaurant of the Olympics.

Rofl.

[quote name='bigpimpin24']
Vancouver-2012-Winter-Olympics.jpg

Official Restaurant of the Olympics.

Rofl.[/QUOTE]

They've been the official restaurant sponsor of the Olympics for like 30 years, where have you been?

People play video games?

Do what you like with your free time and don't worry what others do with there's.

I used to watch a decent amount of Olympic stuff when I was younger, but haven't watched much the past two times. Mainly just due to being busier. I do enjoy track and swimming, as well as sports I watch regularly like basketball and soccer etc. and there's some novelty to watching random sorts like fencing in small bursts.

I guess it really just comes down to whether you're interested in sports and athletic competitor or not. If you are then there are going to be at least some events that appeal to you. If not then the whole thing will be a waste to you.

The TV coverage on anbc jumps around too much. But there's more consistent coverage on their cable channelsif you have cable/satellite--Bravo, CNBC and MSNBC, as well as dedicated basketball and soccer channels.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='mrspicytacoman']Then by your logic me rolling my tongue is a feat because 50% of the population can't do it? Your criteria is flawed.[/QUOTE]

We're talking about athlethic events. Can you instantly reach the Olympic level of anything? No. There is no tongue rolling event in the Olympics, but for ANY other Olympic event, you still have no chance to come close to competing.

Most of the events are boring I'll agree, and I also wonder how half of them became Olympic events in the first place, but that doesn't mean the Olympics aren't a big deal.

[quote name='Yamato']Why don't we have less complaining and more pics of female athletes like the one above?[/QUOTE]

Most of the women in the Olympics you wouldn't want pictures of.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Most of the women in the Olympics you wouldn't want pictures of.[/QUOTE]
Two words: Michelle Jenneke

Someone posted a video of her in Barcelona from this year doing warm ups before hitting the starting gate for the one hurdle race.:shock:

:bouncy::bouncy::bouncy::drool::drool::drool:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Two words: Michelle Jenneke

Someone posted a video of her in Barcelona from this year doing warm ups before hitting the starting gate for the one hurdle race.:shock:

:bouncy::bouncy::bouncy::drool::drool::drool:[/QUOTE]

I said "most", not all. I know there are exceptions. :hot:

If Rugby were added as an Olympic sport, then I might be a bit interested. Those guys are insane.

[quote name='Clak']If Rugby were added as an Olympic sport, then I might be a bit interested. Those guys are insane.[/QUOTE]

And golf.

So all of those people who watch golf on TV will have more golf to watch.

That wasn't his logic at all. If 50% of the population can naturally do something it's not a feat. Half the population can't run 100 meters in 11 seconds or perform gymnastics like an Olympian.

Some of the events aren't too thrilling to watch but that doesn't make them any less admirable. Olympians put forth a physical and mental discipline few others do. If you think it's no big deal, or "I can spit 30 feet, let's make that a Olympic sport" then you need a reality check.

Once every four years the world comes together to compete in various athletics. That's pretty freaking amazing. It gives us a chance to see other countries and cultures we may not have ever heard of. You don't need to enjoy the events to understand the significance of the Olympics.

[quote name='Rodimus']That wasn't his logic at all. If 50% of the population can naturally do something it's not a feat. Half the population can't run 100 meters in 11 seconds or perform gymnastics like an Olympian.

Some of the events aren't too thrilling to watch but that doesn't make them any less admirable. Olympians put forth a physical and mental discipline few others do. If you think it's no big deal, or "I can spit 30 feet, let's make that a Olympic sport" then you need a reality check.

Once every four years the world comes together to compete in various athletics. That's pretty freaking amazing. It gives us a chance to see other other countries and cultures we may not have known about. You don't need to enjoy the events to understand the significance of the Olympics.[/QUOTE]

Don't waste your breath man. You know these haters couldnt walk up a flight of steps without stopping three times.

These athletes are the best in the world and plenty of people recognize that. Let's the fat trolls troll.

bread's done
Back